PDA

View Full Version : What the oldest television commercial you remember?

Jeffro
07-17-2005, 03:35 PM
What the oldest television commercial you remember?

I remember that old Virginia Slims commercial from 1970?

You've come a long way baby to get where you've got to today........

how bout you

Larry Mudd
07-17-2005, 04:08 PM
The earliest that I can bring to mind would probably the Weebles commercial that used to play endlessly during the cartoon shows. 1973, '74. 'Round there. "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!" I was very excited by the circus cannon.

nivlac
07-17-2005, 04:13 PM
I can still remember a Kellogg's Corn Flakes commercial on the old Superman series in the mid-50s starring George Reeves. And here it is. (http://www.geocities.com/superherofood/SuperCornFlakes.html) Of course, what made it memorable was that it involved Superman! Strange I can't remember any other commercials during that era, but this one has stayed with me.

marque elf
07-17-2005, 04:15 PM
The :confused oldest TV commercial I can remember dates back to the 50s. It was in black and white, or maybe it was just that my family didn't own a color TV then. It involved a chorus line of dancing cigarette packs with very shapely legs. I think the brand was Chesterfield. I was very young. I liked the dancing but couldn't figure out what it had to do with cigarettes. I guess they were selling a connection between sex and cigarettes but, at the time, I found the whole thing really puzzling. :confused:

pinkfreud
07-17-2005, 04:17 PM
In the 1950s, there was a TV ad campaign for Kool cigarettes that featured an animated penguin who said "Smoke Kool." I was fascinated by the penguin, and drew pictures of him. I mimicked the penguin's voice, and ran around the house shouting "Smoke Kool." Not surprisingly, a few years later I became addicted to menthol cigarettes.

Leviosaurus
07-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Ancient Chinese Secret, Huh? (http://dt2.prohosting.com/70s/adulttv/calgon.au) Calgon, 1972.

fishbicycle
07-17-2005, 04:21 PM
Mr. Clean, circa 1959. My mom told me that I used to go around the house singing the jingle.

Jake
07-17-2005, 04:25 PM
The oldest TV commercial I can remember was for Muriel cigars. They had a animated (sexy) half cigar, half woman saying "Why doncha come up and smoke me sometime?"
BTW the oldest radio commercial I can remember is Quaker Oats "Shot From Guns!"
Sorta fits in with the George Reeves commercial. ;)

pinkfreud
07-17-2005, 04:46 PM
The oldest TV commercial I can remember was for Muriel cigars. They had a animated (sexy) half cigar, half woman saying "Why doncha come up and smoke me sometime?"Wow, I loved those Muriel commercials! As I recall, Edie Adams did the sexy voice.

RealityChuck
07-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Various Nabisco cookie commericals from the late 50s/early 60s:

"Yo Ho Ho for an Oreo"
"I'll fly to the moon for a Lorna Doone."
"You're darn tootin' I like Fig Newton."

Also Milky Way & Snickers commercials with the terrific slogan "The best candy on Earth comes from Mars."

And several of those mentioned so far.

seosamh
07-17-2005, 04:53 PM
"Murray Mints. Murray Mints. Too-good-to-Hurry Mints" (http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/adverts/commercials.htm). Though not from 1955: it carried on well into the 60s.

Spavined Gelding
07-17-2005, 05:31 PM
It is my recollection that the dancing cigarette packs were “Old Golds.” The “shot from guns” commercial featured, as I remember, the real, honest to God, authentic Gabby Hayes. Captain Video, he of the army surplus L shaped flashlight ray guns, was sponsored by Ovaltine - a really crappy chocolate flavored milk additive. Space Cadets may have been Post Tosties’s show. I can’t remember the sponsor for Kukla, Fran and Olie. Of course there was always the damned Hamm's Beer Bear. Ovaltine may have been the Howdy Doody sponsor, too, back when Buffalo Bob was Uncle Bob Smith and Mr Bluster was just somewhat obnoxious and not a real villain.

We got a TV in 1948. It was a six inch Crossly. With a booster on the aerial we picked up Chicago, maybe Detroit, on the back side of Columbus. We got a TV so that my father could watch the Thursday Night Fights (brought to you by Gillette razors) and the Firestone Hour where real New York opera singers appeared weekly and peddled automobile tires.

Spavined Gelding
07-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Edie Adams. Ernie Kovack’s widow, did White Owl Cigar ads.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
07-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Of course there was always the damned Hamm's Beer Bear.
From the land of sky-blue waters...
Hamms, the beer refreshing.

Funny, and vaguely disturbing, that so many of the strongest advertising memories from my early childhood are jingles for beer and cigarettes.

But perhaps the strongest is the little cartoon guy singing the praises of then-novel color television:

Hey! I got color TV!
RCA Victor color TV!
I know what I've been missing now,
Wow!
I got color TV!

CBCD
07-17-2005, 07:21 PM
In the early 1960's, Jim Henson's Muppets were on commercials in the Washington DC area for Wilkons Coffee. Darn funny!

Zeldar
07-17-2005, 07:34 PM
I guess mine would have to be for Lucky Strike cigarettes as featured on Your Hit Parade from maybe 1952. We didn't actually have a TV set in our house until 1955, so this would have been on friends' TV's.

Others from that era were for:

Bardahl -- some sort of oil treatment
B4 -- similar stuff with the ditty "You'll be for B4 before you drive six city blocks."
Carling's Black Label beer -- "Hey, Mabel! Black Label."
Mohawk carpets
Godchaux sugar
M&M -- melts in your mouth, not in your hand
Kellogg's cereals (several types like Sugar Corn Pops, Frosted Flakes, etc.)
Brylcreem hair goop -- "a little dab'll do ya"
Winston cigarettes -- "Winston tastes good like a cigarette had oughta" (wink)
Alka Seltzer
Gillette razors and blades -- boxing sponsors
Chevrolet -- "see the USA in your Chevrolet"
Chrysler Corp cars -- "the Forward Look" -- beaucoup fins and push-button drive (Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler and Imperial)
Kaiser Foil -- aluminum wrap
Sylvania TV -- had some halo gimmick around the tube
Prell shampoo
Halo Shampoo
Toni shampoo
Revlon makeup

I could go on and on...

Thudlow Boink
07-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Ancient Chinese Secret, Huh? (http://dt2.prohosting.com/70s/adulttv/calgon.au) Calgon, 1972.I definitely remember that one! And ever since I've worried about that couple. Did the marriage survive the financial ruin that came from the wife driving away all of her husband's customers?

Baker
07-17-2005, 07:40 PM
N E S T L E S , Nestles makes the very best, choooooooc-lit!

AHunter3
07-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Tall UP! For the tall corn taste of Kellogg's golden flakes

It's corn that you can really crunch, corn that really packs a punch,

Tall America, Tall America, Kellogg's Corn Flakes!

Sampiro
07-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Husband sitting on the edge of the bed: "I can't believe I ate the whooooooole thing..."
Wife: "You ate it, Frank."
I don't remember what it was for... Rolaids, Pepto Bismol?

I remember the "My baloney has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R" commercial- I'm about the same age as that kid (who I hope earned a fortune in residuals). I'm also about the same age as Mikey who hated everything.

A commercial I used to love when I was little but I don't remember what it was for--- I think it was for insurance--- showed a series of weird and strange disasters. The one I loved though was a little black girl with her finger in her mouth standing over a big beautiful dollhouse that's been demolished, and her mother is asking her "What happened to the dollhouse?!" and she says, very innocently, "Nothin'...". Used to crack me up, no idea why.

I wish they would release more classic commercials on DVD. They've released some, but few of the really great ones and few of the really old ones (1940s/early 1950s). My favorites, just for the oddity factor, were the ones of TV show characters in character hawking cigarettes (including the Beverly Hillbillies- seeing Granny light up and tell Miss Jane "Now that's true tobaccky" was just weird [even though in real life both Irene Ryan and Nancy Kulp were chain smokers]). Carol Channing sharing Jell-O with Nazis (http://207.36.165.13/vaultcomsp.html) was also an odd juxtaposition (down the page).

saoirse
07-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Tidy-Bowl Man

:Shudder:

Yep, Tidy-Bowl Man

Thudlow Boink
07-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Husband sitting on the edge of the bed: "I can't believe I ate the whooooooole thing..."
I don't remember what it was for... Rolaids, Pepto Bismol?Alka-Seltzer.

No, I didn't remember what it was for either, but you made me curious, so I went Googling, and after seeing enough sites to convince me that the phrase itself has passed into common knowledge, I came up with this Commercials of the 70's (http://www.inthe70s.com/generated/commercials.shtml) that says it's Alka-Seltzer.

Also, you reminded me of the Di-Gel ad campaign that may have been of roughly the same era:
"I like pizza [or onions or sauerkraut or whatever]
...but it doesn't like me!"
Send your stomach some Di-Gel!

fiddlesticks
07-17-2005, 10:47 PM
Mine are probably the Hostess ads that ran along with the Charlie Brown specials on CBS.

Mmmm...Zingers!

One of my odd behaviors back in my early childhood was memorizing and parroting life insurance ads..."You cannot be turned down..., etc."

Sam Stone
07-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Who wears short shorts?
We wear short shorts!
If you dare wear short shorts,
Nair for short shorts.

As a young male, I heartily approved of that commercial.

KarlGauss
07-18-2005, 12:04 AM
I remember Winston sponsoring the Flintstones. Here's one of its ads (http://www.tvparty.com/vault3/flintbig2.ram) which I'll think you'll like.

And, of course, could I ever forget: "I want my Maypo (http://www.tvacres.com/admascots_markymapo.htm)!"

dwc1970
07-18-2005, 01:11 AM
"It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature!" (cue up lighting and thunder effects). I don't recall what the product was, but my sister and I both remember this one, and it scared us every time it came on.

Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
07-18-2005, 01:42 AM
originally posted by Thudlow Boink

Originally Posted by Sampiro

Alka-Seltzer.

Anthony Edwards' father wrote that commercial. IIRC, his name was Frank, but it's many years since that Playboy: 20 questions.

A couple of mine

Sugar Smacks, with Sugar Bear (before he became Super Sugar Bear). My Dad said they sprayed 2 coats of sugar on the cereal to make it Super, we ate Shredded Wheat.

Captain Kangaroo and Kellogg's Corn Flakes (I always wondered why the Captain never looked up before the ping-pong balls started dropping)

Butter.Parkay.

BrainGlutton
07-18-2005, 01:47 AM
I remember a Baby Ruth commercial from the '60s -- you bite open a Baby Ruth bar and find a whole soda shop, or candy shop, or something inside. Something with a counter, barstools, and a guy with a paper hat serving customers. I was so young that the next time I bit into a Baby Ruth bar I actually expected to see that scene and was disappointed I only saw, you know, caramel and peanuts.

Ellis Dee
07-18-2005, 01:50 AM
Growing up in a suburb of Chicago, I was inundated by local commercials for Empire Carpets. I'll never -- as long as I live -- forget their friggin' telephone number. That "five eight eight, two three hundred, empiiiire" tagline carved out possibly the deepest groove in my brain.

Imagine my shock to now see commercials for Empire Carpet here in New England! It's 20 years later, and the same guy (owner of the company, I think) was doing the exact same pitch, but looking much older. (And they've added hardwood flooring.) He was quickly removed and replaced with a small, Toy Story-esque animation of him.

And that damned phone number jingle is all but unchanged:

"eight hun-dred five eight eight, two three hundred, empiiiire"

Ellis Dee
07-18-2005, 01:54 AM
It's 20 years later...Actually, it's closer to 30.

Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
07-18-2005, 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee
Growing up in a suburb of Chicago, I was inundated by local commercials for Empire Carpets. I'll never -- as long as I live -- forget their friggin' telephone number. That "five eight eight, two three hundred, empiiiire" tagline carved out possibly the deepest groove in my brain.

When I was in Navy "A"School at Great Lakes, Illinois, it seems that commercial was EVERYWHERE. I knew their phone # I soon as I read Empire Carpets. And I was only there for 3 months in '81.

Carm6773
07-18-2005, 05:50 AM
I see their commercials all the time in the Tampa Bay area.

As to the OP, the earliest commercial I can remember has already been mentioned (the Oscar Meyer Bologna one with the kid fishing), so I'll go with the Palmolive commercials with Madge the Manicurist.

Odesio
07-18-2005, 06:04 AM
AFN (Armed Forces Network) while living in germany. One ad featured a soldier getting into his snow covered vehicle but not before he brushed a tiny little porthole out the front so he could see. The commercial's message was that soldier's needed to get all the snow off their vehicle so they would have decent visibility.

The other AFN commercial I remember is a soldier out on manuevers finding a place to sleep. The message was to be aware of where you were sleeping lest you get run over by a tank.

Marc

Labdad
07-18-2005, 06:16 AM
Mid 50's, Dinah Shore singing, "See the USA in your Chevrolet!"

Kitchen Wench
07-18-2005, 06:22 AM
They still air this ancient commercial for a local home improvement business. It was made when they still used words for phone prefixes. I'm tickled pink that they feature it on their website... And yes, I've been singing the jingle since I was a little girl.

Standard!... bum bum bum bum bum... Improvement Comp'ny! (http://www.standardimprovement.com/main.html)

snorlax
07-18-2005, 06:28 AM
On the subject of words for phone prefixes, I remember a commercial in Philly in the 70's with a catchy jingle which went "Call for action! GReenwood 7-5312". I never knew what this was but a quick goole has revealed all (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_For_Action).

For those who want a trip down memory lane, many old commercials are available for download from archive.org (http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject:%22Advertising:%20Television%20commercials%22).

F. U. Shakespeare
07-18-2005, 07:08 AM
I would like to second the claim that it was for Alka-Seltzer -- they had a similar hit a year or two earlier with an equally annoying guy (Jack Aaron, IIRC) recounting how he'd overeaten the night before: numerous people had exhorted him to eat something by urging, "Try it, you'll like it".

BTW, the name of the husband (played by Milt Moss) in "the whole thing" commercial was Ralph, not Frank.

Another similarly themed Alka-Seltzer ad a few years later was, "Mama Mia, that's a spicy meatball". I saw that one a few years ago, and it holds up very well: you're on the set of a commercial for Italian meatballs. After the umpteenth botched take, with the poor actor stuffed with spicy food, the director suggests, "OK, why don't we break for lunch".

I was born in 1959, and the earliest commercial I can remember might be one for some ice cream whose brand I don't remember, 'Brandname Double Chocolate'. It featured two high-pitched cartoon twins exhorting in echo fashion how much they loved the stuff. The punchline by a voiceover ordered, "Brandname Double Chocolate Ice Cream -- get some right now!" I remember when it was on late, my mother would reply, "No problem -- I'll go smash the windows at the Acme"

ColonelDax
07-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Please don't squeeze the Charmin (http://www.whipple.org/photos/charmin.html)!

saoirse
07-18-2005, 07:53 AM
"It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature!" (cue up lighting and thunder effects). I don't recall what the product was, but my sister and I both remember this one, and it scared us every time it came on.

That was a margaraine. It was so much like butter, even Mother Nature was fooled.

ColonelDax
07-18-2005, 08:01 AM
Mother Nature

Aka Dena Dietrich (http://www.tvacres.com/admascots_mothernature.htm), and the product was Chiffon margarine.

ColonelDax
07-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Also, do any other mid-Atlantic dopers remember Gino's (http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/jsf0864/page1.html) and its "Everybody goes to Gino's 'cause Gino's is the place to go" commercials?

DrMemory
07-18-2005, 08:20 AM
Lessee... There was the Norelco Razor ad that ran with the "Rudolph" special every year at Christmas. It featured elves using elictric razors as sleds and have a grand old race over small hills.

That poor poor Maytag repairman (Jessie White) ..."The Loneliest guy in town".

Madge telling yet Another customer that "Youre Soaking in it" :eek:

Uvula Donor
07-18-2005, 08:45 AM
I remember that old Virginia Slims commercial from 1970?

You've come a long way baby to get where you've got to today....
I don't specifically remember the ads, but the jingle will be forever stuck in my head:

You've come a long way, baby
To get where you've got to today,
You've got your own cigarette, now baby,
You've come a long, long way!

Not at all condescending, hmmmmm?

Thudlow Boink
07-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Mine are probably the Hostess ads that ran along with the Charlie Brown specials on CBS.

Mmmm...Zingers!Those were Dolley Madison, Hostess's arch enemy!

Thudlow Boink
07-18-2005, 11:38 AM
...but now that you mention Hostess, remember Twinkie the Kid, Fruit Pie the Magician, et al?

And then there were the Malt-o-meal commercials with the talking stomach:
"Marvin! This is your tummy speaking! It's lonely down here. I want Malt-o-meal."

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
07-18-2005, 12:22 PM
And, of course, could I ever forget: "I want my Maypo (http://www.tvacres.com/admascots_markymapo.htm)!"
Oh yeah--Maypo!!! That may be my earliest. And it just jogged loose the memory of the Mr. Bubble ad. ("Madam, how do you do!" "Operator! There's a man in my bathtub, operator!")

And a bank ad with live bunnies, sung to the tune of "Pop Goes the Weasel" ("Get more, get more, something something, Coast Fed-er-al Savings!")

Annie-Xmas
07-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Choo-Choo Charlie for Good n Plenties. My sister and I use to line up the chairs and make a train for our stuffed animals just like he did.

Beware of Doug
07-18-2005, 01:05 PM
We got a TV in 1948. It was a six inch Crossly. With a booster on the aerial we picked up Chicago, maybe Detroit, on the back side of Columbus. We got a TV so that my father could watch the Thursday Night Fights (brought to you by Gillette razors) and the Firestone Hour where real New York opera singers appeared weekly and peddled automobile tires.
If there's anybody reading this who had a TV before 1948, I would love to hear about it.

Doug's First TV Spot: Stereotyped Italian guy with big mustache making that pinchy-finger move and yelling, "Mama mia, that'sa somea spicy sauce!" Circa 1969. Product forgotten (perhaps Ragů?)

teela brown
07-18-2005, 01:13 PM
I vividly remember a Mr. Bubbles ad. I'm sure it was animated by the same people that did Mr. Magoo, and the ad had somewhat the same premise.

A little boy is taking a bubble bath while his extremely nearsighted grandma supervises. He uses the bubbles to make himself some long dog ears and woofs at her. She says, "Finky! How did you get in there?" and puts the "dog" out. He runs back in with a derby and makes himself a long bubble beard, puts on the derby and says "Madam, how do you do?" She freaks, thinking there's a strange man in the bathtub and starts to call the police. He says, "Grandma, it's me!" She goes back into the bathroom where he's in the tub tossing an inflatable fish around, and she says "So it is! and you're so clean your mother won't know you!" Then she grabs the fish, kisses it, wraps it in a towel and takes it away to put it to bed.

As you can see, I remember every detail of it. It was funny as hell and I wish I could see it again.

vibrotronica
07-18-2005, 01:38 PM
I remember a Kenner commercial for the original line of Star Wars action figures, which would have been around 1978.

I also remember commercials for "Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific!", but a I'm not sure if that was earlier or later.

lieu
07-18-2005, 01:48 PM
I remember a white knight racing down a residential street and he'd touch someone with his lance and something would happen to them, maybe they'd become brighter? I'm thinking it was in B&W and was for Ajax bleach but it was sooooo long ago.

jsc1953
07-18-2005, 01:59 PM
I remember the "Gillette Cavalcade of Sports", sponsored by Gillette (of course) and that the ads involved a parrot. Oddly, the sport being cavalcaded was always boxing..

Hijack alert! There are many pieces of classical music that will forever be associated in my mind with commercials. Like 1812 Overture always makes me sing "this is the cereal that's shot from guns", or the Triumphal March from Aida is "just look....29 elephants loaded with Golden Grain..." and Vesta la Giubba is always sung with lyrics "No more Rice Krispies...."

AskNott
07-18-2005, 02:17 PM
There's a handful, and I don't know which one was first.

A crude animated show called Winky Dink that sold a plastic overlay kids could put on the screen and draw along with the character.

"Trouble, drainage trouble in your home? Call Roto-Rooter right away, and away go troubles down the drain!"

Little robot children with doors on their bellies would open up and drop in a bowl of Kix.

Dinah Shore, singing, "See the USA in your Chevrolet."

Some comedian/host introduced the new Plymouth. The camera zoomed in to the emblem on the front, which they had fiddled with. It spelled PLYOMUTH.

Primetime ads were often live. A female celebrity introduced a new refrigerator with a door that would open either way. It wouldn't open at all, on live TV!

BMax
07-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Mr Owl, how many licks does it take to get the the tootsie-roll center of a tootsie-Pop?

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
07-18-2005, 02:29 PM
I remember a white knight racing down a residential street and he'd touch someone with his lance and something would happen to them, maybe they'd become brighter? I'm thinking it was in B&W and was for Ajax bleach but it was sooooo long ago.
They'd turn blinding white. Er, I mean their clothes would. The people already were. "New Ajax laundry detergent is stronger than dirt!"

Tuckerfan
12-29-2006, 12:56 AM
Eve cigarettes, the ad featured a woman laying on a giant cigarette. Even as a little kid, I thought it was a stupid ad.

lowbrass
12-29-2006, 02:08 AM
"Johnny Smoke", a creepy anti-smoking ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3rq3gdlAaE

And the crying Indian anti-littering ad.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g1MYY-IQ_yU

And:

What walks down stairs, alone or in pairs
and makes a slinkity sound?
A spring, a spring, a marvelous thing!
Everyone knows it's Slinky.
It's Slinky, it's Slinky,
it's fun, it's a wonderful toy.
It's Slinky, it's Slinky,
It's fun for a girl or a boy.

And:

You can make it go fast
You can slow it down
Watch that wheel going round and round
Wheel-o, Wheel-o
Whee! it's a lot of fun

(or something like that)

Zoe
12-29-2006, 04:38 AM
Another one from Howdy Doody in the early 1950's -- Buffalo Bob sang it:

Royal -- Pudding!
Rich rich rich with flavor,
Smooth smooth smooth as silk,
More food energy than fresh, whole milk.
Royal -- Pudding!

marque elf: It involved a chorus line of dancing cigarette packs with very shapely legs.

A pair of those legs belonged to Grace Kelly.

Spavined Gelding: ...the Firestone Hour

"If I could tell you of my devotion,
if I could pledge all my love to you,
then my confession would find expression
in all the something something..."

jayjay
12-29-2006, 07:18 AM
I remember one with an Italian man named Aldo who looked like Avery Schreiber and lived like Hugh Hefner, with women on each arm and the finer things in life. I have no idea what the product was, but every commercial ended with the Schreiber-alike saying "Ciao, bella!"

panache45
12-29-2006, 08:53 AM
My favorite from the '50s was for Ipana toothpaste, featuring Bucky Beaver, "Brusha-brusha-brusha. Here's the new Ipana." You can see the commercial in the movie "Grease."

Paul in Qatar
12-29-2006, 09:23 AM
You all reminded me of a lot. Here are some that may not have been mentioned:

Remember the guy who shared a medicine cabinet with the next-door neighbor?
Mommy! Call Hamden BElmont –Five oh six oh-oh! (Baltimore laundry firm)
Hey Kids! Get off that couch! (for clear vinyl furniture covers)
Libby the kid, that is Billy the Kid spelled sideways, sorta
Today is the day the man from DelMonts comes.

gonzomax
12-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Mabel... Black Label
VW commercial.. how the guy plowing the streets got to his job
Cigarettes pushed as soothing and good for your throat.
Dancing(chesterfield?) cigarette packs with Mary Tyler Moores legs
What was Farfel?
Jello commercials that tried to use subliminal advertising
Alcoa aluminum which Alistair Cooke called Al U Min I Um

Slithy Tove
12-29-2006, 09:59 AM
As you can see, I remember every detail of it. It was funny as hell and I wish I could see it again.

Hey, we just had a thread on the YouTube link (http://youtube.com/watch?v=HLoDdhMZuJ8) It's the second ad in the clip.

My earliest memory: of course, when the knight on horseback's lance struck, it only changed the brand of laundry soap the woman was holding, but I still remember the inherent menace in the image of a massive, faceless horseman charging down the street, slaughtering middle-age women in housedresses.

Kizarvexius
12-29-2006, 10:26 AM
lowbrass beat me to Iron Eyes Cody crying over the pollution. That's about the earliest one I can remember. Around the same time was Woodsy Owl with his "Give a hoot! Don't Pollute" message.

A couple from AFRTS (American Forces Radio & Television Service) in Germany stand out:

- A chubby soldier who can barely keep up with the others during PT and pigs out at the mess hall. It finishes up with the warning "A fork can kill -- and WILL kill". No, I'm not making this up.

- The anti-smoking commercial that played It Was A Very Good Year and finished up with a little girl throwing dirt on her daddy's grave.

B. Serum
12-29-2006, 10:28 AM
"I win!"

"Where? I don't see it."

"See, here... diagonally."

"Pretty sneaky, sis!"

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
12-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Vaccination PSAs from the mid 1960s. They were cartoons with characters various diseases:

Roly Polio: Rolled around in a wheelchair, also carrying a crutch. In one PSA, some kids are playing ball. The ball goes over the fence and into a puddle. Roly Polio is right there, rolling it around with his crutch, presumably infecting the kid.

Locky Lockjaw: Very stiff character with closed eyes and a teeth-baring grimace/grin, arms stiffly carryed behind him.

Dippy Diphtheria and Whoopy Whooping cough. Don't remember them too well, but I belive Dippy flew around infecting kids.

Labdad
12-29-2006, 12:18 PM
What was Farfel?

The dog who said "Chaaaw-clat" at the end of "N-E-S-T-L-E-S, Nestles makes the very best" commercials. Then his mouth would shut with a loud snap.

One of the earliest I remember was for Colgate Dental Cream with Gardol. The "insible protective shield" fascinated me - especially the guy standing in front of the driving range, and the golf ball hit right at him would bounce off the shield. I SO wanted one of those shields for MY mouth, but we used Crest. :(

OttoDaFe
12-29-2006, 01:13 PM
My favorite from the '50s was for Ipana toothpaste, featuring Bucky Beaver, "Brusha-brusha-brusha. Here's the new Ipana." You can see the commercial in the movie "Grease."You beat me to the punch with that one, so I'll counter with:You'll wonder where the yellow went
When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!I also recall "Speedy" Alka Seltzer (I think he had a dog, but I'm not sure), Peter Pain (the nemesis of Ben Gay), and the "Tension, Pressure, Pain" ad for Anacin.If there's anybody reading this who had a TV before 1948, I would love to hear about it.We didn't get a television until 1951 or thereabouts, but this thread caused me to have a very clear flashback of being curled up on the floor listening to a detective story (Sherlock Holmes?) on the radio. I imagine it must have been a network broadcast, because the sponsor was a New York City men's store.

HelloKitty
12-29-2006, 01:40 PM
They still air this ancient commercial for a local home improvement business. It was made when they still used words for phone prefixes. I'm tickled pink that they feature it on their website... And yes, I've been singing the jingle since I was a little girl.

Standard!... bum bum bum bum bum... Improvement Comp'ny! (http://www.standardimprovement.com/main.html)Call WESTPORT-One-Seven-One Hundred!

And get a free silver dollar with your estimate.

I live right down the street from them!

That is one of the earliest I remember too. There was also:

"Midwestern Builders
Will build your home
For the lowest price in town
Call 321-2277
Anytime night or day"

That is permanently burned into my brain, there is no erasing it.

And:

"Here, Dog, C'mon Dog
Me and Dog want you to go to
Dick Smith Ford Tooown
In Raytooown
Get a good deeeal!
Get a dog-GONE good deal!"

These are the commercials that would play ad nauseum in the late afternoon after we got home from school and were watching cartoons. Strangely I don't remember many "national" commercials from that era.

Skywatcher
12-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Being originally from the Chicago area, I too remember seeing Empire's commercials. They're nationwide now.

Also, circa 1976: "Everything I think I see/looks like a Tootsie Roll to me!"

jayjay
12-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Ooooh...anyone who grew up in Central Pennsylvania in the 60s/70s remember the commercials for Sam's Furniture in Phillipsburg. They had these mariachi marionettes and the song ended "at Saaaaaaaaaaam's....Phillipsburg!"

Beware of Doug
12-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Any old Buffalonians here?
Remember about 1969, when PSAs came on introducing 911 service?
One had a burglar doing a B & E, the other a swimmer being carried ashore?
Those were both my dad. He also produced the spots for a small local production house.
One morning in 1970 he got to the shop and the Feds were waiting to question him - turned out the business had been a money laundering operation.

Triskadecamus
12-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Ovaltine.

Tom Corbet, space Cadet, mixing up and drinking a cup of this vile brown liquid, and smacking his lips.

<<<<<shiver>>>>>

Also, Andy Divine (as Jingles) actually singing the Kellogg's Sugar Corn Pops jingle.

<<<<<shiver>>>>>

Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy!

Tris

Beware of Doug
12-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Any old Buffalonians here?
Remember about 1969, when PSAs came on introducing 911 service?
One had a burglar doing a B & E, the other a swimmer being carried ashore?
Those were both my dad. He also produced the spots for a small local production house.
One morning in 1970 he got to the shop and the Feds were waiting to question him - turned out the business had been a money laundering operation.

Kevbo
12-29-2006, 02:58 PM
One I recall circa 1965-7? was a Dial Soap (I think?) commercial where everyone who used the product walked around about 3 feet above the ground.

I was young enough to believe that if I could convince my parents to buy some of that soap I'd be able to walk in the air...so 3-4 years old probably.

rowrrbazzle
12-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Among the earliest TV commercials I remember:

Geritol
Carter's Little Liver Pills
Bufferin (with the animation showing how the B's are absorbed much faster than the A's)
Lava soap with William Bendix. Not sure if it was on his show "The Life of Riley" or elsewhere.

This is a radio ad, but I have to mention it. I heard it in Chicago a zillion times, but I didn't know Thurl Ravenscroft was the "rapper" until I found it after his death. http://members.aol.com/allthurl/ram/zfrank.ram

mobo85
12-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Doug's First TV Spot: Stereotyped Italian guy with big mustache making that pinchy-finger move and yelling, "Mama mia, that'sa somea spicy sauce!" Circa 1969. Product forgotten (perhaps Ragů?)

The spot was for Alka-Seltzer. A man with a thick Italian accent is on the set of a fictional pasta sauce ad and keeps messing up his line ("Mamma mia, that's a speecy..."). He goes through so many takes, he ends up getting heartburn. Two Alka-Seltzers* later, the man finally says "Mamma mia, that's a spicy meatball!"...and then the oven door falls off.

Regarding Alka-Seltzer spots, it should be pointed out that the aforementioned "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" spot was revisited a couple years ago with Doris Roberts and the late Peter Boyle as the couple...except Boyle said "I don't believe I ate the whole thing."

*Sales of Alka-Seltzer went up in the '60s after the manufacturers discovered two of them (http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/alka-seltzer.asp) did a more effective job than just one. Hence the jingle "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is."

davidm
12-29-2006, 04:40 PM
I vividly remember a Mr. Bubbles ad.

Here you go. http://www.tvparty.com/video7/mrbubble.rm

NDP
12-29-2006, 05:49 PM
One I recall circa 1965-7? was a Dial Soap (I think?) commercial where everyone who used the product walked around about 3 feet above the ground.

I was young enough to believe that if I could convince my parents to buy some of that soap I'd be able to walk in the air...so 3-4 years old probably.

I vaguely remember those ads. Didn't it make you wonder what they put in the soap (and if it was legal)?

5 time champ
12-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Mrs. Olson for Mountain Grown Folger's Coffee.

Common Tater
12-29-2006, 06:39 PM
One of my earliest Tv indoctrination memories was of an electric (rechargeable?) toy car, that the kid could ride in. Common now, but not in the 60's. I wanted one, but never got one. It's a good thing I didn't know anything about psychology, or would have been maimed for life. Another classic was the "Like Father, Like Son... think about it.." as the kid finds a pack of dad's ciggies as they are out for a walk in the park.

And who can forget the Indian as he surveys the damage of his beloved Mother Earth that is now New York, and a Single Tear falls down his cheek. (Ad council admonishing us not to litter)

samclem
12-29-2006, 07:13 PM
If there's anybody reading this who had a TV before 1948, I would love to hear about it.
12" Philco, 1947.

Kilvert's Pagan
12-29-2006, 08:25 PM
I think the "Shot From Guns" line was for Puffed Wheat and Puffed Rice, as opposed to Quaker Oats proper.

The shared medicine cabinet had a line in it that went, "Hey, you're Mona's kid, aren't you?" which I now use on my kids (they're completely baffled by this, and rightly so).

As an old Cleveland kid, I remember a few. An aluminum siding company had a jingle that went, "GARFIELD-1, 2-3-2-3" (which was their phone number).

Our electric company (The Cleveland Electric Illuminating Company) had a really cool instrumental theme (with no words) that I still remember. They also created Cleveland's motto, "The Best Location in the Nation".

And the amazingly cheesy song ad for the local chain that was a little like a 7-Eleven back then, Lawson's, which trucked fresh orange juice back from Florida to sell in their stores:

Roll on, Big O!
Get that juice back to Lawson's in 40 hours!

Now one man sleeps while the other man drives
On that Big-O Lawson's run
And that cold, cold juice
In the tank truck caboose
Stays as fresh as the Florida sun

Roll on, Big O!
Get that juice back to Lawson's in 40 hours!

kunilou
12-29-2006, 09:21 PM
All the commercials for kids' products that I was exposed to in the black and white '50s, and which one do I remember most clearly from that era?

20 Mule Team Borax (and Boraxo, the hand cleaner!), the sponsor of Death Valley Days.

dropzone
12-29-2006, 11:23 PM
The Empire Carpet Guy was the director of the first ads. They couldn't find anybody better, at least who they could afford. He caught on.

Anybody who thinks Ovaltine was disgusting never jogged past their plant while on a 1000cal/day diet. Ambrosia!

The earliest ads I remember were for the tiny butler hawking Kleenex napkins. Thank yous to those who remember older ads.

Rick
12-30-2006, 12:54 AM
I recall the Good and Plenty ads, and the Captain Kangaroo ads, and Bob Hope mentioned his advertisers in the monologue, among others.
But the one that sticks in my mind the most was for a west Coast Savings and Loan known as Coast Federal Savings.
Their ads featured a trained rabbit. They had two basic ads. In the first the rabbit dropped a coin into a piggy bank. In the second the rabbit stacked up some blocks to create a arched doorway (4 blocks IIRC) Actually I seem to recall that three of the blocks were in place and the rabbit set the last block into place.
Both ads had a jingle that was set to the music that a jack-in-the-box makes when cranked
Half a million dollars strong*
Coast Federal Savings
These ads ran for almost 20 years.
Here is some info on the rabbit training (http://www.hsu.edu/default.aspx?id=3507)
In the late 60's or there abouts, Coast Federal built a new headquarters building in downtown LA just a few feet off the Harbor freeway. Out in front of the building is an arched entryway built out of 4 large stones, just like the ads from my childhood. The building and entryway are still there and still visible from the Harbor freeway.

*the amount changed over the years.

DMark
12-30-2006, 01:30 AM
Unfortunatly, I am old enough to remember a lot of the commercials already mentioned.

However, as a Caucasian I do remember seeing the first Black people in a television commercial - if I am not mistaken, it was of a black man and woman playing tennis...I have no idea what the product was, but I remember looking at the commercial in awe. One part of my brain was saying, "about time" but another part of my brain was saying, "that is odd."

dropzone
12-30-2006, 01:48 AM
Hey, I (vaguely) remember that! Same reactions, too.

Rick
12-30-2006, 02:00 AM
They'd turn blinding white. Er, I mean their clothes would. The people already were. "New Ajax laundry detergent is stronger than dirt!"
This was written by Clive Cussler when he was in the ad business. Cite (http://www.tvacres.com/admascots_ajaxknight.htm)
Probably the best thing he has ever written.

zoogirl
12-30-2006, 03:11 AM
The first one I remember was for, I think, Johnson's Wax and it featured an old cleaning woman ranting about "yellow wax!". Scared the hell out of me! I must have been well under school age so it was pre-'65.

Clothahump
12-30-2006, 09:45 AM
I remember the old Gary Moore Show when they did live commercials. Gary brought out a guy who was a mute. Turns out the guy wrote commercial jingles and had written one for the show's sponsor. With the assistance of cue cards and a Hot Babe Singer, he got the audience singing the new jingle:

Winston tastes good, like a (bom-bom drum sound) cigarette should.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
12-30-2006, 12:07 PM
But the one that sticks in my mind the most was for a west Coast Savings and Loan known as Coast Federal Savings.

Both ads had a jingle that was set to the music that a jack-in-the-box makes when cranked
I.E., "Pop Goes the Weasel." That's one of my earliest memories, too, though I didn't remember that the rabbits were doing tricks--I just remember twitchy-nosed bunnies.

AHunter3
12-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Very oldest is boring and, while I know the "when", not usefully specific as to era: a United States Marines ad, with the "halls of Montezuma" song being sung by men in uniform. Circa 1962-3, when I was 3-4 years old, on some Tallahassee FL TV station.

I remember lots of cigarette ads: "to the sailor, it's the ___ ___ ___, to the ___ ___, it's the ___ ___ ___, to the smoker, it's the Kent."; the "Winston tastes good like a _!!!, !!!_ cigarette should" ad; the Camels ad with the guy showing the holes in his shoe soles after walking a mile for a Camel;

Remember a lot of doll ads for girls: "Baby crawl-a-long, baby crawl-a-long, look she crawls right across the floor" / "Little Kiddles" / "Malibu Barbie and her suntanned friends" / "Lucky Locket Kiddles" / "Flatsies, Flatsies, they are flat and that is that"...

Gizmos and other stuff: "Kenner's See The Show Projector" / "Creepy Crawlers, Creepy Crawlers" <in a whisper> / "Meet the Swinger, Polaroid Swinger...take the shot, yeah yeah, blah blah blah, yeah yeah, then take off!" / "Be a Betty Crocker baker bake your very own cake in your Betty Crocker Eazy-Bake oven!"

Food ads: "N. E. S. T. L. E. S., Nestle's makes the very best.....chooooh klaaat" / "Oh I wish I were an Oscar Meyer weiner, that is what I'd really like to be eee eee, cuz if I were an Oscar Meyer weiner, everyone would be in love with me" / "Taste that beats the others cold, Pepsi pours it on" / "Tall up! For the tall tall taste of Kelloggs golden flakes! It's corn that you can really crunch, corn that really packs the punch, tall American tall American Kellogg's corn flakes!"

Hmm, now I more clearly remember why I quit watching TV... stupid commercial earworms...

Lumpy
12-30-2006, 09:00 PM
The earliest one I can remember was Ronald McDonald riding around in his giant Flying Hamburger. That would have been mid 60s I believe.

Beware of Doug
12-30-2006, 09:06 PM
If there's anybody reading this who had a TV before 1948, I would love to hear about it.12" Philco, 1947.So let's hear about it already! Where were you? What was on? Was anything on? Did swarms of neighbors invade the living room every night, or was it so early nobody much gave a damn?

Beware of Doug
12-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Oh, and, uh...what passed for commercials? Were there any?

panache45
12-30-2006, 09:31 PM
I remember watching an "I Like Ike" tv spot during the 1952 presidential campaign. One of my parents came in and turned off the set, because they were Democrats.

bouv
12-30-2006, 10:23 PM
Probably the "how many licks" Tootsie Pop ad, since it's been running forever (I first saw it in the mid 80's.)

Though another one I remember very well is a commercial for Zelda II: The Adventure of Link for the NES. It had a guy dressed as Link running around a castle, and the very end her jumped down in a hole in the floor while shouting "Zellllllldaaaaaaa!"

lowbrass
12-31-2006, 01:11 AM
Oh, I remembered an earlier one. It featured Col. Sanders singing:

"Kentucky Fried Chicken
Kentucky Fried Chicken
If you want Kentucky Fried Chicken
you'll have to visit me"

According to Wikipedia it was from 1969.

I remember having a good laugh when the tape got messed up one day and it came out:

"If you want Kentucky Fried Chicken me."

Dignan
12-31-2006, 02:08 PM
The Empire Carpets guy! For some reason I was thinking he had some association with Pittsburgh Paints, but I'm not sure how I made that connection. It is Empire Carpets though. The old guy with the mustache and glasses. I only lived in Chicago until I was 5, and don't have the commercials where I am now. The last I saw of him was in a commercial when someone is changing the channel in the first Wayne's World movie. Good stuff!

Archergal
12-31-2006, 04:13 PM
"L.S.M.F.T." -- Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco

Which in grade school rapidly morphed into

"Loose Straps Mean Flopping Titties."

:p

Jake
12-31-2006, 04:24 PM
In California it was the Wednesday Night Fights, sponsored by Gillette razors. Theme music:
"To look sharp, and be on the ball, to feel sharp (I forget) for the quickest slickest shave of all"
Also, anyone remember the "Six forty twelve forty conolrad" civil defense ads?
One was suposed to tune their radio to these stations for emergency (A-bomb) attacks. :eek:

Shodan
12-31-2006, 04:29 PM
Joe E. Lewis (?) in a Three Musketeers commercial. It was on during Fireball XL-5.

Or Cracker-Jacks -

"It's gotta be sweet,
And it's gotta be a lot,
And you only gotta diiiiiime...

Whaddya get?

Lip-smacking, candy-whacking, killagowhacking, Cracker-Jacks!"

I realize the last is probably wrong, but that's what I remember.

Regards,
Shodan

Archergal
12-31-2006, 05:11 PM
Oh, and don't forget the Timex commercials. Timex watches getting abused in various ways with the final tag line:

"Timex -- takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!"

Archergal
still wears a Timex watch

gonzomax
01-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Edsel commercials. Groucho singing for Desoto.

dropzone
01-01-2007, 01:46 AM
Lip-smacking, candy-whacking, killagowhacking, Cracker-Jacks!"[/i]

I realize the last is probably wrong, but that's what I remember.I finally gave up on figuring it out, but somebody on the net undoubtedly has an inaccurate transcription.

Doodles Weaver did those, didn't he? Brother of NBC boss Pat and uncle of the lovely, if not that shapely (kids were watching Spaceballs tonight and I pointed out the overwhelmingly shapely woman who was her (uncredited but obvious to any heterosexual male with eyes) body double in Ghostbusters, that being the first movie she shared with Rick Moranis) Sigourney.

dropzone
01-01-2007, 01:48 AM
Oh, FTR, her name is Leslie Bevis.

Rick
01-01-2007, 01:58 AM
Oh, and don't forget the Timex commercials. Timex watches getting abused in various ways with the final tag line:

"Timex -- takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!"

Archergal
still wears a Timex watch
That would be John Cameron Swayze (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Corporation)

Archergal
01-01-2007, 08:29 AM
That would be John Cameron Swayze (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Corporation)
Thanks! I totally failed to remember his name. He did those commercials for ages.

Fear Itself
01-01-2007, 09:36 AM
"Once upon a time there was an engineer,
Choo Choo Charlie was his name, we hear.
He had an engine and he sure had fun.
He used Good & Plenty candy to make his train run.
Charlie says "Love my Good & Plenty!" Charlie says "Really rings my bell!"
Charlie says "Love my Good & Plenty!" Don't know any other candy that I love so well!"

LANmom
01-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Milky the Clown for Twin Pines Dairy in Detroit, MI 1950's. Phone number TExas 4- 1100 pronounced as "four eleven hundred".
Also the Faygo Old Fashioned Root Beer commericials with Black Bart attacking the fair damsle in the stagecoach but being saved by the Faygo Kid who claimed "Black Bart, Yooooouuu are thruuuuuu!"
Also for Faygo the little shrivled cartoon guy blowing bottles which become increasingly misshapen until the poor bottle blower claims to be "to pooped to participate" until he has a swig of faygo pop whereupon he is ready to blow again....Also early 1950's. The line "to pooped to participate" became quite popular.

LANmom
01-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Milky the Clown for Twin Pines Dairy in Detroit, MI 1950's. Phone number TExas 4- 1100 pronounced as "four eleven hundred".
Also the Faygo Old Fashioned Root Beer commericials with Black Bart attacking the fair damsle in the stagecoach but being saved by the Faygo Kid who claimed "Black Bart, Yooooouuu are thruuuuuu!"
Also for Faygo the little shrivled cartoon guy blowing bottles which become increasingly misshapen until the poor bottle blower claims to be "to pooped to participate" until he has a swig of faygo pop whereupon he is ready to blow again....Also early 1950's. The line "to pooped to participate" became quite popular.
Sorry i know it should be TOO pooped....

mobo85
01-01-2007, 12:37 PM
The earliest TV ad I can recall is the original commercial for Nintendo's Super Mario Bros. 3 video game. I can't describe the ad any better than David Sheff did in his book Game Over:

[The ad] showed no game footage at all, but simply thousands of kids chanting passionately, "Mar-i-o, Mar-i-o, Mar-i-o..." The camera pulled back and...we see Mario's face in place of what should have been the North American continent.

Incidentially, this commercial also taught me how the famous plumber pronounces his own name (or how he would if he was a real person)- up to that point, I had pronounced "Mario" so that it rhymed with "stereo."

cornflakes
12-27-2007, 10:36 PM
"Bill McDavid, exit seven-Gulf! Free! Way!"

(Of course, I remember the jingle because I used to sing it every time that we drove past Bill McDavid Pontiac, just to drive my big sister crazy.)

jayjay
12-27-2007, 10:56 PM
There are three that I remember and I don't know which one is the earliest.

First was Rub-A-Dub Dolly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfXjsYBc2ks), the first vinyl doll that you could bathe without ruining. I can still hear the first part of that jingle: "Rub-a-dub Dolly/ soft, pretty dolly". The linked ad is older than the ones I remember, but it's the only one on YouTube.

Second is the Chiffon "It's Not Nice to Fool Mother Nature" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLrTPrp-fW8) commercials.

Third is one for a (not very) local furniture store called Sam's. It had three mariachi marionettes "playing" the jingle, which ended with "at Saaaaaaaaaaaaam's. Phillipsburg!"

madmonk28
12-28-2007, 01:16 AM
I remember the commercial (for Right Guard maybe) where someone would open his medicine cabinet and there would be someon on the other side of the wall next door, looking through the medicine cabinet. He would start every commercial with "Hi Guy!"

I also have a very early memory of a commercial for a beer (maybe Schlitz ML) where a guy in a suit would be calmly pouring a beer while a catastrophe happened around him. The commercial was accompanied by someone whistling the jingle. I remember one where the front of a house fell on him, but he was sitting so an open window saved him and the whole time he just calmly poured his beer.

cochrane
12-28-2007, 02:30 AM
<snip>

It was for Alka-Seltzer, but the guy's name in the commercial was Ralph.

"You ate it, Ralph. No, Ralph, I ate it."

Although Peter Boyle and Doris Roberts (http://youtube.com/watch?v=sfzZpQXZIUY) appeared in a remake of the ad in character as Frank and Marie Barone from Everybody Loves Raymond.

One of the earliest commercials I remember was for a remote controlled robot called The Great Garloo (http://youtube.com/watch?v=sfzZpQXZIUY). I was overjoyed to get one that Christmas.

I also remember commercials for a cereal called Maypo (http://youtube.com/watch?v=iJ9KCkd4Xiw) with a hyperactive kid named Marky screaming "I WANT MY MAYPO!"

Suda
12-28-2007, 06:45 AM
I remember one from when I was a little kid in the 80's, probably 5 or 6

I still find myself singing it for some reason.

Tasmanian carpet cleaning, a top job every time;
Tasmanian carpet cleaning, 236689!

I just looked it up, same phone number! although now its got an extra 2 digits tacked on like all aussie numbers.

BobLibDem
12-28-2007, 06:53 AM
HUDSON THREE TWO SEVEN HUNDRED..... Darned if I even remember what it was- a furniture store or something.

John Cameron Swazee and those ridiculous Timex ads.

The Bufferin commercial showing those little "B"s getting into your bloodstream so much faster than those little "A"s.

jayjay
12-28-2007, 07:11 AM
HUDSON THREE TWO SEVEN HUNDRED..... Darned if I even remember what it was- a furniture store or something.

According to Google, it was (and is) Boushelle Carpet.

BobLibDem
12-28-2007, 07:18 AM
According to Google, it was (and is) Boushelle Carpet.

Ah, yes. Must have been a Chicago thing. Growing up in western Michigan, we got Chicago TV if the weather was right.

jayjay
12-28-2007, 07:21 AM
Ah, yes. Must have been a Chicago thing. Growing up in western Michigan, we got Chicago TV if the weather was right.

We got WGN from Chicago and WPIX and WOR from the NYC area on our cable growing up, so I get both area's local shows and commercials stuck in my head.

BobLibDem
12-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Lucky you! I grew up pre-cable. Three channels, sometimes four or five depending on weather.

Jackmannii
12-28-2007, 07:37 AM
A couple ancient Anacin (Excedrin?) ads come to mind, one showing a cutaway of someone's skull with little hammers pounding, and another where the headache victim had just bawled out a family member and the Voice of Conscience was telling him "Sure, you're tired, irritable, headachy (constipated, throwing up furballs, psychopathic) - but don't take it out on her - take Anacin (or Excedrin)".

Multiple cigarette ads including "Show Us Your Lark Pack!".

"Chock Full O'Nuts is the heaven-ly cof-fee
Better coffee (than) a millionaire's money can{'t) buy"

Related thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=445947&highlight=dorman%27s+endeco+cheese) on really obscure ads.

AHunter3
12-28-2007, 10:33 AM
I also have a very early memory of a commercial for a beer (maybe Schlitz ML) where a guy in a suit would be calmly pouring a beer while a catastrophe happened around him. The commercial was accompanied by someone whistling the jingle. I remember one where the front of a house fell on him, but he was sitting so an open window saved him and the whole time he just calmly poured his beer.

That would be Colt45 Malt Liquor, actually.

There was always this kind of ambling theme music punctuated with things breaking or things falling on people all around him while the unconcerned Colt45 drinker ignores them and nothing happens to him.

AHunter3
12-28-2007, 11:30 AM
YouTube ("http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeUZPeLHak0"') of a typical Colt45 ad with such content and ambling theme music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeUZPeLHak0

NDP
12-28-2007, 03:08 PM
I also remember commercials for a cereal called Maypo (http://youtube.com/watch?v=iJ9KCkd4Xiw) with a hyperactive kid named Marky screaming "I WANT MY MAYPO!"

I wasn't around when they aired the original Maypo commercials with Marky but I do remember they brought back the "I WANT MY MAYPO" ad campaign sometime around 1969. Except instead of an annoying cartoon five-year old kid they had professional athletes whining about wanting their Maypo. I can't remember who the athletes were since I was too young to follow sports at the time but I seem to recall there were some players from the NFL. Maybe some Dopers out there remembers who it was.

Pixilated
12-28-2007, 03:25 PM
I remember almost all of the examples posted...

I will always remember Smokey the Bear. Remember - only YOU can prevent forest fires

Baker
12-30-2007, 06:49 AM
An old Nestles commercial, black and white, with a puppet dog named Farfel(sp?)

N E S T L E S, Nestle's makes the very best, choooooooc -late!" On that last syllable the dog's jaws snapped shut with a definite whap.

Captain Socks
12-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Can someone help me find mine? It's the mid-90s, and I'm 2 years old at my Grandma's house when I see this guy in a big city. Spy music plays, and apparently the guy either stole Domino's Pizza or is trying to find the people who stole it. A line of dialogue I remember is "You can run, but you can't hide!" Details are sketchy because I was very young at the time.

smithsb
12-30-2007, 10:51 AM
The Dairy Producers did public service commercials teaching little kids how to spell the state name. It's still the way I use:

C-O-NN-E-C-T PAUSE I-C-U-T FRESH MILK

I think they sponsored the "Ranger Andy" show. I was on once with my Cub Scout Den.

Pixilated
12-30-2007, 11:39 AM
omgosh, I forgot about the Samsonite(?) luggage commercials! I distinctly recall the gorilla jumping on them.

And the Budweiser holiday commercials with the horses - loved them!

RunSilent
12-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Also, do any other mid-Atlantic dopers remember Gino's (http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/jsf0864/page1.html) and its "Everybody goes to Gino's 'cause Gino's is the place to go" commercials?

Yep! Gino Marchetti's places... he was a defensive end for the BALTIMORE

RunSilent
12-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Yep! Gino Marchetti's places... he was a defensive end for the BALTIMORE
And to continue (I was unable to edit!

BALTIMORE Colts.

Some other comercials:

Armstrong Tires Grrrrip the Road!
Everything's better with Blue Bonnet on it!
Nothing does it like 7Up!
Arrow77 Beer
Gunther Beer

commasense
12-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Wow, a twice-resurrected zombie thread.

I remember lots of these, including Gino's.

It's somewhat reassuring to see how many other Dopers are at least my age or older.

elfkin477
12-30-2007, 10:35 PM
The earliest that I can bring to mind would probably the Weebles commercial that used to play endlessly during the cartoon shows. 1973, '74. 'Round there. "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!" I was very excited by the circus cannon. This might be it for me as well, given I recall singing the jingle around age 4 after being given some for a Christmas present. Another very early one for me is the lite-brite commerical "Lite Brite/Making things with light..." And I have a vague memory of a commerical for some Star Wars toy. It had to be the second movie, because I was only a few weeks old when the first one was released, and by the time the third came out when I was six I was already sick of the franchise being as my best friends (two brothers) were completely obsessed with the movies.

Koxinga
12-30-2007, 10:43 PM
I definitely remember that one! And ever since I've worried about that couple. Did the marriage survive the financial ruin that came from the wife driving away all of her husband's customers?

Not to worry, grasshopper. Husband take care of it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGiEMwXw0Eg)

BaneSidhe
12-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Oldest TV commercial that I can remember is the old Clairol Herbal Essences shampoo commercial. I miss that stuff!

movingfinger
01-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Cartoon doctor is listening to a man's chest through a stethoscope.
"Had it long?"
"Oh, a looooonggg time!'
"You probably need a new one".
He gives the man a prescription, which the man reads, with pleasure. and says,"It's a FFFOOOOOOORRRDDD!"

Also, remember the World Series telecasts with Mel Allen and the ads for Gillette razors?
"Look sharp! (clang!) with Gilette Blue Blades! And feel sharp! (clang!) with Gillette Blue Blades, and then...something, something, and my memory fails me again.

Shodan
01-01-2008, 08:07 AM
"Meet the Swinger, Polaroid Swinger...take the shot, yeah yeah, blah blah blah, yeah yeah, then take off!" Meet the Swinger,
Polaroid Swinger,
It's more than a camera,
It's almost alive,
It's only nineteen dollars, and ninety-five.

Swing it up!
It says Yes!
Take the shot,
Count it down,
Zip it off!

The neurons I waste with this stuff, when I can't remember where I parked my car...

Regards,
Shodan

PS - Happy New Year!

AHunter3
01-01-2008, 12:24 PM
This thread will never die because there's an unlimited number of long-forgotten TV commercials waiting to surface within my head.

I would like to second the claim that it was for Alka-Seltzer -- they had a similar hit a year or two earlier with an equally annoying guy (Jack Aaron, IIRC) recounting how he'd overeaten the night before: numerous people had exhorted him to eat something by urging, "Try it, you'll like it".

BTW, the name of the husband (played by Milt Moss) in "the whole thing" commercial was Ralph, not Frank.

I remember a third Alka-Seltzer commercial from that era. Family is home to grandma's for the holidays and grandma likes to cook LOTSA food. Grandchild: Daddy, I'm not hungry. Dad: You're hungry, you're hungry! ::people start sitting down:: Grandma: Gerald, would you bring out the first turkey?

("Would you bring out the first turkey" was a wry phrase muchly utilized in my family, which had many such grandmas and aunties)

AND... since someone mentioned Smokey the Bear?:

Smokey the Bear, Smokey the Bear
<something> and-a <something> and-a sniffin' the air
He can smell a fire before it starts to flame
Dunno why they call him Smokey but I'm sure he deserves the name

AND, in a similar vein, from the YMCA long before Village People:

If you like the water
Then you really 'otter'
Learn how to swim at the YMCA
Learn how to swim at the Y

AND, memorable mostly because they ran this PSA for an extended period in Valdosta GA, causing my Dad to ask just what they meant in November by "this summer":

Kids, kids, kids want work this summer
Something something something something
Let them do the unwanted! Let them do the unneeded!
Mister employer! Mister employer! It all depends on you!

AND another PSA, this one on the evils of drug abuse:

I knew a man named Joh---hhhn, He let his deal go dow---wwwn,
He ended up laying in bed, oldied and dead, try living with it instead
Cause dope can't get it together, you gotta get it together your sel---lllf,
Dope can't get it together, gotta get it together yourself.

I'll probably be back [/Arnie]

Thudlow Boink
01-01-2008, 12:42 PM
AND... since someone mentioned Smokey the Bear?:

<something> and-a <something> and-a sniffin' the air
He can smell a fire before it starts to flame
Dunno why they call him Smokey but I'm sure he deserves the nameIf memory serves (and it's been decades!), it's "prowlin' and a-growlin'":

A-prowlin' and a-growlin' and a-sniffin' at the air
He can find a fire before it starts to flame
That's why they call him Smokey, that's how he got his name.

AHunter3
01-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Yeah, that sounds right.

jayjay
01-01-2008, 01:49 PM
As long as we're going with PSAs/ads for non-profits how about:

o/`I'm really glad they made/The Children's Aid/Society! o/`