PDA

View Full Version : Will Australia Avoid the Follow-On?

ColonelDax
08-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Wow, another brilliant day today in the Ashes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4143430.stm). With seven wickets gone, Australia need another 35 runs to avoid the follow-on.* If they don't make it, it would be the first time since 1998, when Australia lost to Pakistan, according to a colleague of mine on the sports desk.

Super catch by Ian Bell to get Justin Langer. That play and Adam Gilchrist's snatch of the ball from just off the ground to get Kevin Pietersen at Lords are the fielding highlights of the parts of the test I've caught on TV. This is shaping up into a really interesting series; I wonder what odds I could have gotten beforehand from a bookmaker for a bet that Australia would have to follow on? Of course, England's innings would have been shorter if not for some uncharacteristically sloppy Australian fielding yesterday.

Note: I'm American, so I'm not for or against either team, just enjoying this for the exciting contest that it is. And of course congrats to Shane Warne on number 600.

*If the side that batted first in a two-innings test match of five days or more (England, in this case) is ahead by more than 200 runs after the opposing team has finished its first innnings, that team's captain has the option of forcing the opponents to follow on, or bat first in the second innings. England scored 444 runs in their first innings, and Australia had 210 runs when play ended today, so Australia must score at least 35 runs to avoid the follow-on. They have four wickets left, but all of their batsmen have been dismissed and so the only remaining Australian batters are the team's bowlers. (Everyone on a cricket team bats, a la National League baseball.)

ColonelDax
08-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Would a passing mod please lock this thread, as I had forgotten about a similar one in MPSIMS :smack: and it's best that all cricket comments be kept to a single thread.