PDA

View Full Version : Single guys getting lucky: Are "tighty-whiteys" that bad a turnoff?

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
08-17-2005, 07:40 PM
I'm just curious, because recently there were links on Hotmail's front page about the top ten things a person should do or have to attract the opposite sex. One of the things mentioned for men was "nice underwear", specifically not Jockey-style briefs. Are white briefs such a turn off? My wife never said anything one way or the other about them when we were dating.

And if so, does the color matter, i.e., are colored ones better than white?

TellMeI'mNotCrazy
08-17-2005, 07:43 PM
I prefer whitey-tighteys over "fancy" underwear on men. (Well, I actually prefer boxer briefs). And they have to be white. And clean.

saoirse
08-17-2005, 07:44 PM
By the time you're stripped down to your shorts, you're pretty much in. On the other hand, some decent drawers can only help. At least that's been my experience. I don't "get lucky" much, but I can't see how the shorts would enter into it.

SusanStoHelit
08-17-2005, 07:45 PM
I prefer whitey-tighteys over "fancy" underwear on men. (Well, I actually prefer boxer briefs). And they have to be white. And clean.

Mmm.. Boxer briefs. White is best, but any color is okay (except for used-to-be-white).

DiosaBellissima
08-17-2005, 09:07 PM
I third boxer briefs. Mmmm. But yeah, tighty whiteys aren't attractive. Then again, if a guy was taking off his pants and revealed tighties...I wouldn't tell him to get out.

Queen Tonya
08-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Tighty whities look like underoos with the superheroes bleached out, ick.

Colors are better, colored boxer briefs are best.

And by colors we mean mundane maroons, navy blues, forest greens, etc.

Most of us really don't appreciate the leopard skin thing, just saying.

Queen Bruin
08-17-2005, 10:34 PM
What Queen Tonya said.

LilyoftheValley
08-17-2005, 10:45 PM
I have no problems with tighty-whities, as long as they're truly white (and I mean all-over).

That said, MrValley is a colors guy.

Misnomer
08-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Tighties look best on men who can fill them out when flaccid; guys who are average-to-small (ish) when soft should stick with boxers. That's just for general appearance though -- like if you were going to be photographed in your undies, or if you plan to lounge around all day (my friend and his 4-year-old son sometimes have "socks and underwear day" when mommy isn't home).

In terms of getting lucky, once your pants are off I'm not planning to spend enough time looking at the next layer for it to matter one way or the other ... and the flaccid/soft thing won't be an issue. ;)

Wesley Clark
08-17-2005, 11:24 PM
I remember reading that article. All I remember is something about $200 jeans and nice underwear though. I forget the other 8.

Asimovian
08-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Nearly ten years ago, when my now-wife and I were just friends, she made some offhand comments about how whitey-tighties were unattractive to her and that boxers were the way to go. I'd worn whitey-tighties all my life up to that point, but since I had a massive (persistent to this day -- go figure) crush on her, I was spontaneously compelled to try boxers.

Much to my surprise, I loved them. Wouldn't go back. And she's happier. And they don't wear out nearly as quickly.

Besides, whitey-tighties with bowling themes and Simpsons characters on them would just look silly. :D

hajario
08-18-2005, 12:37 AM
I just Googled boxer briefs and there is no way in hell I'm wearing those. Regular boxers don't give me the support that I need so I'm sticking with the briefs. As has been said, if you're at the point where the undies are revealed, you've hopefully done a good enough job getting her to the point where it won't make a difference.

pasunejen
08-18-2005, 12:39 AM
In general I prefer boxers anyway, but there's just something about tighty-whities on my BF...

Colors are good on boxers, but I really prefer white for briefs. Maybe that's just because I'm so used to doing laundry for my dad and brother that any other color seems absolutely outlandish.

Giant_Spongess
08-18-2005, 12:47 AM
I'd go for a man who wears little lacey things under his pants. All the support of tighty-whities, twice the fun!

Unregistered Bull
08-18-2005, 12:58 AM
Seems like an awfully shallow turnoff. I've encountered the no support thing too with boxers. They'd be fine until you had to do a bit of walking. And God forbid any running. I can see wearing boxers for a special evening, but expecting them all the time is like expecting matching lingerie type undergarments on women all the time.

Lisa-go-Blind
08-18-2005, 01:07 AM
I think boxers are the safest choice because they look all right on pretty much every guy. However, the guy who can get away with tighty-whities is truly a thing of beauty. (Think Gary Oldman in Prick Up Your Ears.)

zagloba
08-18-2005, 01:10 AM
How about my boxers with pictures of Horton all over them (from Seuss's Horton Hears a Who)?

dalej42
08-18-2005, 01:11 AM
I've always liked boxers. I'll take boxer briefs next. Tighty Whiteys? Umm, you'd better have the body to pull it off. Most guys don't.

Ashes, Ashes
08-18-2005, 01:28 AM
Some guys look just fine in briefs, in fact they look damned fine. What isn't good is when the briefs (boxer briefs included) are all saggy in the butt. It's not that he doesn't have much of a tushy, or the tushy is in bad shape, it's the stretched out briefs that have failed him. If you add that they're a dingy grey, and generally disreputable looking, it's not exactly encouraging lustful thoughts, you know?

I do agree that boxers are a pretty safe bet.

Omniscient
08-18-2005, 02:06 AM
My opinion has always been that while tighty-whiteys probably won't get you thrown out of bed, they will get you snickered at when she tells her girlfriends. It also will ensure that you get a steady supply of new boxers as birthday, aniversary and Christmas gifts.

08-18-2005, 02:17 AM
Seems like an awfully shallow turnoff. I've encountered the no support thing too with boxers. They'd be fine until you had to do a bit of walking. And God forbid any running. I can see wearing boxers for a special evening, but expecting them all the time is like expecting matching lingerie type undergarments on women all the time.

It never even occurred to me to think of this until I was reading Rabbit, Run and a woman made fun of the protagonists' underwear. Then I saw the item I mentioned in the OP.

I've always worn briefs but I've long since ditched the whites for various colors.. Colors do have some advantages over the "whiteys". One night we had been out in Hollywood and didn't think it would be a good idea to drive home, so we stayed over at the Roosevelt. Naturally we didn't have any swimsuits with us, so when we wanted to go in the jacuzzi at least my dark briefs looked vaguely like a speedo instead of being obviously underwear. 'Course it was late and there was nobody else around; I wouldn't go to a pool using my underwear as trunks if there were people around. That'd be just too weird. (don't know why that is, it just is.)

Green Cymbeline
08-18-2005, 04:33 AM
Well, guys don't like women in "granny panties" like this (http://www.barenecessities.com/Vanity-Fair-Classic-Ravissant-Brief-Sizes-5-8_product_VanityFair15712_,search,.htm) , do they?

Well same idea with tightie-whities.......

Cynical Optimist
08-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Well, you could always go for the ever-popular Manties (http://forevergeek.com/entertainment/manties.php), but you'd better have something damn impressive inside them if you don't want to be laughed out of bed.

And on preview I notice that site also links to the "Tron Guy". I should have just linked directly to the damn company store... :smack:

Anastasaeon
08-18-2005, 10:11 AM
I don't care what men wear. My husband favours boxers, so I say if that's what makes him comfy, that's all that matters to me. Boxers are nice because I can steal them and wear them around the house.
My only underwear turn-off is if they're dirty. They can be white, they can be tight, just please be clean.
It's all coming off, anyway.

And the last time my husband caught me running around in my cherry blossom-bedecked granny panties, he told me it was adorable and it led to sex. However, I'm willing to believe that he was simply horny and saying something like that might help him score. :D

Barrels
08-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Mmmmmm.... Boxer breifs!

I must go now.

plnnr
08-18-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm a tightey-whitey guy (actually, tightey-colored) and, yes, I have the body to pull them off. Actually, I have the body and my wife does the pulling off.

Unregistered Bull
08-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Well, guys don't like women in "granny panties" like this (http://www.barenecessities.com/Vanity-Fair-Classic-Ravissant-Brief-Sizes-5-8_product_VanityFair15712_,search,.htm) , do they?

If you've got the gal down to her panties. There has been so much fun stuff going on and about to happen that it really doen't matter. Would boots and a short skirt hiked up on her hips, boy shorts, a thong, or just a pair of thigh highs be a sexier visual than granny panties? Sure. But I sure wouldn't expect those things without some planning before hand or luck.

Unregistered Bull
08-18-2005, 10:42 AM
If you've got the gal down to her panties. There has been so much fun stuff going on and about to happen that it really doen't matter. Would boots and a short skirt hiked up on her hips, boy shorts, a thong, or just a pair of thigh highs be a sexier visual than granny panties? Sure. But I sure wouldn't expect those things without some planning before hand or luck.

thigh highs and heels :D

Hello Again
08-18-2005, 10:47 AM
I hate tighty-whities -- never chucked a guy out of bed for them but I have said "for god's sake get some different underwear." Apparently I'm worth switching for because all the men in my life have indulged my preference for boxers or boxer-briefs (yum).

Now I don't *care* for briefs but tighty-whitie Y-fronts... ugh. It's like you're about to do it with an overgrown 10 year old. The fact is, the majority of guys don't have the body for briefs or T-W's (I'll give Michael Jordan a pass though). Just like I don't have the body for those boy-short undies that are so in right now for ladies.

elmwood
08-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Four words.

Scorch marks. Drip stains.

Granny panties kill the mood for me, and I'm sure white briefs have a similar effect on some women.

cowgirl
08-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Tighty whities. Ugh.

If you must wear undies (and I'm assured by many men, including my husband, that commando is the way to go), for the love of Og please let them be boxers or boxer-briefs.

It is true that it won't spoil the moment that is already under way. However, I have an ex who, when I remember him in intimate circumstances, I envision him in TWs - which I can tell you is not a flattering way for me to remember him. They might as well be Spongebob underoos for all the dignity they lend him.

He did get a steady stream of boxers for Christmas and birthday presents.

belladonna
08-18-2005, 11:42 AM
My dad wears tighty-whiteys, and as much as I love my father his is not the image I want flashing through my head as I strip down for some horizontal amusements.

If you find yourself unexpectedly getting some while wearing them, I suggest just pulling them down with the pants in one swoop. Out of sight, out of mind.

LilyoftheValley
08-18-2005, 11:58 AM
Well, I posted to this thread right before bed last night, and my dreaming subconscious has an update...

I hereby announce that IMHO tighty-whities look very hot on fit, dark-skinned men. There's nothing like contrast to draw the eye in. That is all.

:: off to plan what thread to read right before bed tonight ::

Ghanima
08-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Tighty-whiteys make you look like you are suffering from an extended childhood and your mommy dressed you before you went out. My boyfriend had a couple pairs when we first started going out and they were phased out immediately. And yes, I have bought him several pairs of boxer-briefs and silky boxers. I love the silk boxers.

Ethilrist
08-18-2005, 12:50 PM
By the time you're stripped down to your shorts, you're pretty much in.
On the other hands, gentlemen, if you happen to find yourself to that point and the lady calls a halt to the proceedings due to quantity, location and color of fabric, do not count this as a loss...

Batsinma Belfry
08-18-2005, 01:11 PM
It took me years to talk my husband out of tighty whiteys and into boxer briefs. He's a little chubby, and when he would walk around in TWs and socks, he looked like a giant toddler. Not sexy at all. I think thinner guys can get away with it more.

08-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Seems lots of women really like boxer briefs on their men. I didn't know they were that exciting.

AsecretK
08-18-2005, 01:18 PM
All the men I have umm.... dated wore TW but one. After that I was hooked on boxers. I defiantly prefer the way the look on a man.

On a side note I never knew they were called TW until my son told me about five years ago when he was about twelve. He was at sleep over and I guess the other boys made fun of him because he had TW. He asked me the next day to buy him boxers, which I did, and that is now all he owns.

audiobottle
08-18-2005, 01:37 PM
I like boxers to wear (I'm a guy), but silk boxers suck. I'm not sure what it is about them, but take three steps on silk boxers and you're looking at your waistband being an inch below your nipples and a wedgie so deep you'll need your spelunking gear to get it out again. Plain old cotton boxers are the way to go as far as I'm concerned.
As far as turn-off, I'd imagine they wouldn't be a problem the first time, but say in the morning, I doubt they'll be a help in getting seconds.

pinkfreud
08-18-2005, 01:41 PM
I love the look of clean white Jockey-style briefs on a man. My husband wears 'em, and he looks mighty fine.

Hey, It's That Guy!
08-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Guy here. I hate wearing boxers. They ride up, they hang unevenly, they don't support anything so you end up twisted every which-way, and there's so much extra material to make you sweat where you'd rather not. I guess I've worn tighty-whities most of my life, but I'm transitioning to boxer briefs. I think they are the best of both worlds: the snug (and very necessary) support of briefs, with a somewhat more mature and sophisticated look.

taxi78cab
08-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Tighty-whities aren't attractive, but I wouldn't stop the, um, festivities if the guy in question were found to be wearing them. However, I'd second the suggestion for the guy to remove them with his pants if he got into the situation and realized he had them on.

I like both briefs and boxer briefs... and boxers too for that matter. But a guy needs a good body to pull off the first two.

Side question related to the previous comments about granny panties: Why do you have them (if you do)? I'm a woman and I haven't had granny panties since... well, since I started picking out my own panties. Sure, I have a couple pairs of black cotton panties for that time of the month, but all the rest of mine are nice-looking black, white, or red panties (so they all match a bra or even multiple bras for mixing and matching), mostly Body by Victoria. (I LOOOOOVE that fabric.) I just don't understand why one would own granny panties. They certainly aren't more comfortable (on me) than my nice Body ones. (No, I don't work for VS... I just love their panties. And if you have their credit card, you get a coupon for a free pair of panties about once a year.)

Anaamika
08-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Ugh, tighty-whiteys are ugly. This would certainly not stop the proceedings, considering my SO wore them for 5 out of the 8 years we've been together. I've never asked him to change, but I did tell him I didn't like them. He tried different color briefs and then a few years ago on his own and loved them.

And I'm with taxi78cab on the granny panties. On the contrary, they are not comfortable. Way too much material on your ass. While I won't wear thongs, I like the minimum amount of material possible...those hi-rise bikini panties or whatever.

There. Now you all know what kind of panties I wear. They usually have flowers, or ducks on them, too. :p

PunditLisa
08-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Boxers are good for most occasions. However, men, if you're wearing shorts, I implore you not to sit down with your ankle crossed over your knee without knowing exactly where "the guys" are.

:eek:

sqweels
08-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Ever get a boner while wearing boxer shorts? With briefs (colored only, of course) you can at least lock it in the upright position. But bikini briefs, forget it. We're talking whack-a-mole.

Anne Neville
08-18-2005, 07:06 PM
I don't care at all about a guy's underwear. I prefer no visible holes or skid marks.

Mr. Neville doesn't care about women's underwear, either.

It's nice not having to dress up for each other.

levdrakon
08-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Tighty-whities are fine if they are new, every bit of elastic-osity is still working so they form snuggly to your body, and they are still glisteningly white.

Otherwise, they look like thin diapers.

If, like many guys, your underwear are older, and you're more attached to them sentimentally than your children, stick with boxers.

pokey
08-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Ever get a boner while wearing boxer shorts? With briefs (colored only, of course) you can at least lock it in the upright position. But bikini briefs, forget it. We're talking whack-a-mole.
As a female, that's why I like briefs on a guy. I also think they look better and less "for show" than boxers, but the main reason I like tighty whities is that it can be put in the upright position where it's supposed to be. I'm just not smart enough to re-invent the wheel every time I stick my hand down someone's pants. Fishing around all day makes me feel like an idiot.

Anaamika
08-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Fishing around all day makes me feel like an idiot.

There are so many comments to be made here, I'm stymied as to which one.

CandidGamera
08-19-2005, 09:44 AM

There are so many comments to be made here, I'm stymied as to which one.

I recommend : 'If you spend that much time 'fishing', I bet you're a master baiter.'

Ethilrist
08-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Fishing around all day makes me feel like an idiot.
Yeah, but some guys like that. The fishing, not the "idiot" part. :D

raz
08-19-2005, 10:29 AM
when I hear the term "tighty whities" I immediately get a vivid vision of my father waking up in the middle of the night and stumbling blearily towards the bathroom while scratching his butt.

Tighty whities, no thanks.

Indygrrl
08-19-2005, 11:23 AM
I don't think I've ever actually encountered tighty whities. Heh, it's not something I'd throw a guy out of bed for, but I don't know, something about that choice in underwear just tells me the guy isn't compatible with me. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'm not going to go out and research it.

Boxers or boxer-briefs are sexy. Commando is also sexy. Tighty whities, I'm afraid I'd just laugh. They put me in the mind of Gordy Lachance in Stand By Me. :D

pokey
08-19-2005, 11:54 AM
when I hear the term "tighty whities" I immediately get a vivid vision of my father waking up in the middle of the night and stumbling blearily towards the bathroom while scratching his butt.

Tighty whities, no thanks.
My dad always wore boxers instead of pyjamas. :( Then for daytime he wore briefs, as did my brother. (They did wear pants over these for the most part--fortunately.) I always see boxers as pyjamas. For overall Dad-underwear-trauma, I think the boxers win for me. At some point between my starting to grow up and my dad realizing that I was starting to grow up there were certainly some Sunday breakfasts when I decided boxers were the type of outfit that should be worn WITH briefs. :( If you know what I mean.

My family life had the opposite effect on me so that when I see a guy in boxers he doesn't look like he's in his underwear to me. He just looks like he's wearing a pair of shorts. Maybe he's about to take a nap or something.

Any undies without a vent or with any type of pattern or decoration looks like either girl underwear or Deuce Bigalow Male Gigilo underwear to me. Dance, Poolboy!

When I was in my teens I had a boyfriend whose mom bought him underwear in 3 packs with patterns like zebra stripes, polka dots or bright colors. I used to call him Fancy Pants.

taxi78cab
08-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Commando is also sexy.
Oh yes! I forgot to say that before, but that is also very true.

(Although I'm thinking it may be somewhat guy-dependent. It's hot with some guys and a bit revolting with others.)

pokey
08-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Does commando mean no underwear?

Draelin
08-19-2005, 12:22 PM
I recommend : 'If you spend that much time 'fishing', I bet you're a master baiter.'
Damn you, I had that joke. *sigh*

Like most of the ladies have said, the tighty-whities wouldn't get you kicked out of bed, but I've always preferred boxers on men, especially when I'm just looking. Silk boxers are nice, but that's really a special-occasion thing. I know they're uncomfortable.

Yes, I spent a day wearing my boyfriend's underwear, what's your point?

There. Now you all know what kind of panties I wear. They usually have flowers, or ducks on them, too.
I'm almost thirty years old, and I'm currently wearing panties with Tinkerbell on them. I also have Cookie Monster, Oscar the Grouch, Superman, and various other childish patterns (yay Target!). I don't think it has anything to do with why I don't get laid. :)

Miller
08-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Tighty whities look like underoos with the superheroes bleached out, ick.

So, my Spiderman Underoos are no good, then?

:(

Draelin
08-19-2005, 01:20 PM
I'd only have a problem because I'm strictly a DC girl, myself. ;)

CandidGamera
08-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Damn you, I had that joke. *sigh*

My alternate was "'Fishing's a very appropriate euphemism - it involves a rod, baiting, and exaggerating the size of the catch."

Queen Tonya
08-19-2005, 02:07 PM

:(

Noooo! They're all good, as long as we can still see Spidey.

Yes, Pokey, commando means no underwear.

That sounded just like Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus in my head.

Bippy the Beardless
08-19-2005, 02:18 PM
What do the ladies here think about underwear with cartoon characters on them? Sexy or not?
P.S. I think women with cartoon characters on their underware are sexy.

Draelin
08-19-2005, 02:21 PM
What do the ladies here think about underwear with cartoon characters on them? Sexy or not?
I think it really depends on the woman. Some are too "sophisticated" for that. I, as I have mentioned, am not one of those women. :)

Anastasaeon
08-19-2005, 02:30 PM
P.S. I think women with cartoon characters on their underware are sexy.

I have some. I like them.

I do find it funny that some of the same women who are turned off by tighty whities because they look like something a ten year old would wear find it perfectly fine to wear underwear that a ten year old would wear, herself. :p

lumpyspaceprincessenwlow
01-06-2012, 02:47 AM
Ok so this was written back in the 2005's. So i'm late replying but yeah...i signed up just to give my two cents.

Tighty whities are back and they're hot. If you don't have the body for tighty whities then go to the gym....so you can fit well in them haha.

Not to sound shallow, a lot of people are saying they look good on the right guy but not most guys. Well most guys should go to the gym. My two cents.

Anyways there back in style and i hate hate hate dark navy blue and grey hanes boxer briefs cause thats all older guys wear in there 25 and up and it just so ugly and boring.

They dont look like diapers if you get the right kind. And as far as waht dads wear, my dad wears boxers, so yeah i guess boxers to me are just as gross as tighty whities is to the older ladies who'se dads wore briefs back in the day.

Keep em clean though boys. I'm not going to say how old i am cause i know people will get all up in arms that i know what guys wear as underwear. I just know from TUmblr ... i'm not some skank haha. And thats what i like!

Becky2844
01-06-2012, 03:22 AM
Anytime I've wanted to "do it" the only underwear I cared about was Off.

i really don't care what you wrap your package in.

tim-n-va
01-06-2012, 06:04 AM
If I encounter cartoon characters on a female's underwear, I'm going to have to check that ID.

A woman's underwear only matters in one situation: If you are going to interrupt something else by walking thru the living room in your underwear, what they look like on you matters.

If my clean, intact underwear (regardless of style, color or "age") is a show stopper that's a win, getting the shallow bitch away from me.

dogbutler
01-06-2012, 06:22 AM

It doesn't bother me a bit. Non matching bra and panties gets my OCD going though.

elfkin477
01-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Seems lots of women really like boxer briefs on their men. I didn't know they were that exciting.A lot don't, too. I think they look ridiculous and so did several other ladies the last time we had a thread on this topic.

amaguri
01-06-2012, 01:11 PM
As long as they're clean, it really doesn't matter to me at all

Dereknocue67
01-07-2012, 03:54 AM
If a guy is that concerned with a woman's perception over boxers or briefs, before entering the bedroom, stuff a roll of paper towels down your pants as a distraction. Preferably, down the front.

levdrakon
01-07-2012, 08:14 AM
I don't think anyone is actually talking about running away screaming if a guy drops trou and he's sporting tighty-whities. It's a light-hearted thread I think.

Yes, the number of tighty-whities sold far, far outweighs the number of guys who look good in them.

If you can't be arsed to put on a nice pair of underoos, I'd have to wonder what else you can't be arsed to bother with. That doesn't make me shallow; that makes you a lazy slob.

:)

Crafter_Man
01-07-2012, 09:20 AM
I'm not going to say how old i am
I think we have a pretty good idea, based on your spelling and grammar.

Small Hen
01-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Tighty whities are fine by me. I can't imagine liking a guy enough to get him to the underwear stage, and then being concerned about boxers vs briefs. But then, I always wear the normal cotton panties that come five for 25 dollars in the bin at Kohls, so I'm not sure I have room to make demands anyway.

Paralogic
01-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Are white briefs such a turn off?

Yes.

Men wear boxers.

Shawn K
01-07-2012, 10:37 AM
The nice things about boxer-briefs and regular briefs is that there's some support so things aren't flopping around and the odd time after you take a whiz if there's some dribble after it doesn't run down your leg like with boxers or commando.

I got told awhile ago that briefs were out too, I was shocked since I'd worn them my whole life and hadn't had a complaint up until that point.

jz78817
01-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Yes.

Men wear boxers.

and insecure men have to tell everyone about it.

PandaBear77
01-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Are white briefs such a turn off?

Yes.