PDA

View Full Version : Oz Dopers: Need help with something trivial

ShibbOleth
09-05-2005, 01:26 PM
My seven year old son has a class assignment where he has to send a picture of "Flat Stanley", a fictional boy who has been run over by a steamroller(?), to somewhere else in the world. It would require you to send him back, filled in and with questions answered about your spot in the world.

Anyone willing to give this a shot? We only need one volunteer, I guess ideally it would come back from a child of similar age, although that's not an absolute restriction from what I've skimmed on the assignment. He would need to get it back before December 1st.

Ethilrist
09-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Holy carp would this be a wildly un-PC thing to do here in the US...

cabdude
09-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Holy carp would this be a wildly un-PC thing to do here in the US...

Eh?

TellMeI'mNotCrazy
09-05-2005, 01:53 PM
ShibbOleth is in the US... Or at least he was last I heard. And I am completely stumped as to what would be un-PC about it.

I loved Flat Stanley, by the way, what a cute book.

ShibbOleth
09-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Yes, I am also confused. Apparently in the book "Flat Stanley" asks his parents to mail him to interesting places. Since TMINC has read it, maybe she can fill us in.

TellMeI'mNotCrazy
09-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Well, I only read the first one, where he got flattened (I can't remember the steamroller bit, though, I thought a bulletin board fell on him or something). It came in useful - his mother dropped a ring in through a grating, so she tied Stanley to a string and lowered him down to get it. He posed as a picture in a museum, dressed as Little Bo Peep to catch some art thieves. I think one of his friends had recently moved, and it was too expensive for him to go visit, so he asked his mother to mail him instead. She even poured a little milk into the envelope, folded Stanley up nice and neat, and mailed him off to his friend.

He was later reinflated with a bicycle pump. I do believe there were additional books in the series though, but I think they came out later. I never read them, at any rate.

Anyhow, I fail to see any way in which the story or the project is un-PC, by any of the common meanings of the phrase...

TellMeI'mNotCrazy
09-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Oh and... if a kid isn't a requirement, I would be glad to participate. However, if you need to mail it off to another child, I'm no help in that regard.

TellMeI'mNotCrazy
09-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Except I notice now it has to be an Oz doper. Whoops.

*crawls back in hole*

ShibbOleth
09-05-2005, 02:23 PM
Oh and... if a kid isn't a requirement, I would be glad to participate. However, if you need to mail it off to another child, I'm no help in that regard.

I asked Mrs Shibb a little while ago why he didn't just send it to one of his cousins in Thailand. He wants it to go to Australia because "that's the farthest away". I have no idea if that's technically correct.

ShibbOleth
09-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Except I notice now it has to be an Oz doper. Whoops.

*crawls back in hole*

Note, I think Africa should be as cool as Australia to a kid. It was just as exotic a concept when I was little. Maybe he prefers Australia since our local zoo has a decent Australian fauna exhibit. Anyway, it's a preference more than anything else.

TellMeI'mNotCrazy
09-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Yeah there's no rhyme or reason with kids and their coolness quotients ;)

cabdude
09-05-2005, 03:38 PM
I'll quite happily do it, but I have no small people in my household. So I will place myself on the reserve list in case some Ozdopers with offspring volunteer.

Cunctator
09-05-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm in the same boat as cabdude. I have nieces and nephews ready to hand though. I'm sure they'd be happy to help out (after some judicious bribing).

Atheist Princess
09-05-2005, 07:25 PM
I have a younger brother in my house and from Australia...pick me! Pick me! :D

Cunctator
09-05-2005, 08:00 PM
I think we have a winner.

ShibbOleth
09-05-2005, 08:22 PM
I have a younger brother in my house and from Australia...pick me! Pick me! :D

If you're in Australia, send me an email and I'll get the stuff in the mail to you. This is his homework so I do need you to complete the assignment in a fairly timely manner. How old is your brother?

Atheist Princess
09-05-2005, 09:28 PM
If you're in Australia, send me an email and I'll get the stuff in the mail to you. This is his homework so I do need you to complete the assignment in a fairly timely manner. How old is your brother?
Email sent :)

Shalmanese
09-05-2005, 10:46 PM
If that doesn't pan out, I have a 13 year old brother and I'm from Australia.

Scarlett67
09-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Anyhow, I fail to see any way in which the story or the project is un-PC, by any of the common meanings of the phrase...
The Official Flat Stanley Project (http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://flatstanley.enoreo.on.ca/&e=9797)

Scarlett, another Flat Stanley fan

Zsofia
09-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Clint Eastwood took Flat Stanley to the Oscars this year.

kittenblue
09-07-2005, 03:43 AM
What fun! Flat Stanley was my favorite book when I was little...one of the first books I remember reading. And I had a bulletin board hanging near my bed, so I dreamed of one day waking up as Flat Kittenblue!

Burnt Sugar
09-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Another backup here. I have access to heaps of kids, all ages.