PDA

View Full Version : What was the name of Alice's Restaurant?

Mathochist
09-14-2005, 08:06 PM
"Alice's Restaurant" is (was) not the name of the restaurant. It's just the name of the song. That's why Arlo Guthrie called the song "Alice's Restaurant".

So what was the name of the restaurant. I vaguely recall reading it in a NYT article this summer, but I can't for the life of me remember it now, nor can I seem to comb any information about the name from the web -- other than the fact that it's not "Alice's Restaurant".

It might be mentioned (or shown) in the movie, but I'm not dropping the $5 to rent it when I have the collected wisdom of the SDMB at my fingertips :D.

sj2
09-14-2005, 08:11 PM
It's Mel's Diner

Cisco
09-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Where are you going that charges $5 to rent old movies? I need to know so I can stay far, far away. Most places these days charge $.99-$2.50 or free with the rental of a new movie.

As for the restaurant...Alice owned it, but that's all I know. I've never heard it called Mel's Diner, where did you find that, sj2?

I also think it's worth mentioning that I met Arlo a few months ago. Hell of a nice guy and a great storyteller.

Mr. Blue Sky
09-14-2005, 08:17 PM
I've never heard it called Mel's Diner, where did you find that, sj2?

Mel's Diner was the name of the restaurant in the TV show "Alice".

samclem
09-14-2005, 08:43 PM
It was orginally called the" Back Room Rest" because it was the back of the grocery store and in the alley. When Alice bought it, it was Maluphy's Restaurant....

Alice and her husband Ray also owned an old church, which is where they were gonna have Thanksgiving dinner, and Arlo and a friend hauled away a ton of garbage, but the dump was closed, so they ditched it down a hill, and they got arrested for littering, and..............after a year, Alice ditched Ray and went to Puerto Rico.

These days it's known as Theresa's Stockbridge Cafe.

This from any of a number of newspapers using Lexis-Nexis.

picunurse
09-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Mel's Diner was the name of the restaurant in the TV show "Alice".
Wrong Alice, that was from Alice doesn't live here anymore

Mr. Blue Sky
09-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Wrong Alice, that was from Alice doesn't live here anymore

Right Alice, wrong medium - the show came from the movie.

Scarlett67
09-14-2005, 09:06 PM
In any case, I'm thinking it was a joke, son. :D

Mr. Blue Sky
09-14-2005, 09:11 PM
In any case, I'm thinking it was a joke, son. :D

I know, but I am sworn to Cecil to fight ignorance regardless of the situation. :D

xash
09-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Moved to CS.

-xash
General Questions Moderator

RickJay
09-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Perhaps the answer is to be found in the twenty-seven 8x10 color glossy pictures, with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, explaining what each one was.

Skywatcher
09-14-2005, 10:58 PM
Right Alice, wrong medium - the show came from the movie.Wrong Alice, wrong movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071115/combined).

Skywatcher
09-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Perhaps the answer is to be found in the twenty-seven 8x10 color glossy pictures, with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, explaining what each one was.Or twenty-seven 8×10 black and white glossy pictures, depending on if it's the song or the movie.

sinjin
09-14-2005, 11:18 PM
I actually ate there once, in the 70's if I recall correctly, but only for 20 minutes.

Zebra
09-14-2005, 11:29 PM
And we were both jumping up and down yelling KILL! KILL! KILL!

Mr. Blue Sky
09-15-2005, 06:54 AM
Wrong Alice, wrong movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071115/combined).

From the trivia page:

Basis for the television show "Alice".

The actual restaurant that this movie is based on is located in Phoenix, Arizona at 1747 NW Grand Ave. It is currently called Pat's Family Restaurant. It was called Mel's Diner.

Skywatcher
09-15-2005, 07:04 AM
We're discussing Alice Brock from Masachusetts (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064002/combined), not Alice Hyatt from New Mexico (or New Jersey, for that matter).

Mr. Blue Sky
09-15-2005, 07:09 AM
We're discussing Alice Brock from Masachusetts (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064002/combined), not Alice Hyatt from New Mexico (or New Jersey, for that matter).

I was responding to As for the restaurant...Alice owned it, but that's all I know. I've never heard it called Mel's Diner, where did you find that, sj2?

Skywatcher
09-15-2005, 07:12 AM
She's still the "wrong Alice" in terms of this thread. :)

Mr. Blue Sky
09-15-2005, 07:15 AM
She's still the "wrong Alice" in terms of this thread. :)

True. It's all sj2's fault for bringing it up. :D

Shodan
09-15-2005, 07:30 AM
A typical case of American blind justice, and there isn't anything Officer Obie can do about it.

Except take away your wallet, so you don't have any money to spend in the cell.

Regards,
Shodan

What Exit?
09-15-2005, 07:41 AM
In the movie they definitely mention the name of the restaurant as Arlo has written a Jingle for it. The local radio station announces that "Alice Brock is opening her restaurant tonight."
The Jingle was literally, "you can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant. ... It just a 1/4 mile from the railroad track. "

I wish I could cite but I cannot not.
So at least in the jingle, it is indeed Alice’s Restaurant.

I know Arlo a little through Clearwater (the Pete Seeger founded, Hudson River Environmental group) and I have seen the movie a dozen times.

Remember also, it was discovered years later by Arlo that Richard Nixon owned a copy of Alice's Restaurant and that the missing time on the Nixon tape is exactly the same time as Alice's Restaurant. ;)

Sean Factotum
09-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Remember also, it was discovered years later by Arlo that Richard Nixon owned a copy of Alice's Restaurant and that the missing time on the Nixon tape is exactly the same time as Alice's Restaurant. ;)
Richard Nixon wa a fan of Linda Lavin?

What Exit?
09-15-2005, 07:52 AM
Richard Nixon wa a fan of Linda Lavin?

You know this mean's war. :D
Of course I always like Linda Lavin as Wentworth. Bonus points if you can Identify this reference.

Skywatcher
09-15-2005, 07:56 AM
'Scuse me while I shuffle off to the mensroom...

What Exit?
09-15-2005, 08:01 AM
'Scuse me while I shuffle off to the mensroom...

Abe is that you?

Skywatcher
09-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Abe is that you?Feels that way sometimes. :)

h.sapiens
09-15-2005, 09:20 AM
You know this mean's war. :D
Of course I always like Linda Lavin as Wentworth. Bonus points if you can Identify this reference.
Barney Miller.

How many points do I get?

kunilou
09-15-2005, 09:26 AM
Kids, this-thread's-got-47-words-27-posts-58-words-it-talks-about-details-of-the-song-time-of-the-song-and-any-other-kind-of-thing-you-gotta-say-pertaining-to-and-about-the-song-someone-wants-to-know-Linda-Lavin's-arresting-officer's-name-on-Barney-Miller-and-any-other-kind-of-thing-you-gotta-say, and we've gone on for forty-five minutes and nobody understood a word that's been said.

Draelin
09-15-2005, 09:28 AM
Curse you all. I'll be singing this all day.

What Exit?
09-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Barney Miller.

How many points do I get?

I'll give you 10 but Lute Skywatcher had already cryptically answered it and got the full 100 bonus. ;) .

You know, I now need to play the song and watch Barney Miller tonight. :)

Mathochist
09-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Moved to CS.

-xash
General Questions Moderator

This one I'll contest. I'm asking a strictly factual question about a real place that happened to be mentioned and popularized in a song.

Mathochist
09-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Alice and her husband Ray also owned an old church, which is where they were gonna have Thanksgiving dinner, and Arlo and a friend hauled away a ton of garbage, but the dump was closed, so they ditched it down a hill, and they got arrested for littering, and..............after a year, Alice ditched Ray and went to Puerto Rico.

These days it's known as Theresa's Stockbridge Cafe.

This from any of a number of newspapers using Lexis-Nexis.

And can you give a link for those of us wh don't have access to LN?

kaylasdad99
09-15-2005, 11:59 AM
This one I'll contest. I'm asking a strictly factual question about a real place that happened to be mentioned and popularized in a song.Well, if you want to question a mod's decision on that, you should ask Dex or Ike to move this to the Pit.

:D

picunurse
09-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Then, on Thanksgiving, 1965, Arlo made his ill-fated trip to Stockbridge, Mass, (where he had gone to school), and it was there-the scene of Alice's Restaurant- that another sordid chapter in the annals of injustice took place. It may not yet be on a monumental par with the cases of Sacco and Vanzetti or Dreyfus, but it is well on its way to leaving its mark an another kind of history, for as soon as Arlo began to proclaim the story and reveal the true, suppressed facts of The Alice's Restaurant Massacree, multitudes listened, and even if they didn't immediately form protest delegations, they did begin wearing "Alice's Restaurant buttons and laugh and join in singing the hymn that binds the movement together."
The name of the song(?) story(?) is not Alice's Restaurant, but Alice's Restaurant Massacree you can get anything you want at Alice's Restuarant ('sept Alice.) ....IIII don' want a pickle, just wanta ride my motorcyckle ....
Sorry, it doesn't have any other name for the walk right in...its around the back... restaurant. :cool:

BurnMeUp
09-15-2005, 03:16 PM
And they alllll moved away from me on the bench there.

Godfrey Daniels
09-15-2005, 04:09 PM
..and IIII don't wanna die...I just wanna ride on my motorcy...cle

Dr. Rieux
09-15-2005, 05:34 PM
I wanna see blood 'n' guts 'n' veins in m'teeth!

Morgyn
09-15-2005, 06:05 PM
I wanna see blood 'n' guts 'n' veins in m'teeth!
*claps Dr. Rieux on the back*

You're our boy!

Skywatcher
09-15-2005, 08:31 PM
And can you give a link for those of us wh don't have access to LN?Will this do (http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050508/LIFE02/505080301/1006/LIFE)?How the legend started

Not everyone remembers the story that became a song that became an album that inspired a hit movie: Arlo Guthrie, 18, and his buddy Rick Robbins, 19, tried to help Alice and Ray Brock clean the church for Thanksgiving dinner in 1965 by taking the garbage to the dump in their Volkswagen bus. Only the dump was closed, so they threw everything down Prospect Hill.

When Police Officer William Obanhein (forever after called Officer Obie) inspected the mess, he found a scrap of paper with a Great Barrington address. The teens were arrested for "illegally disposing of rubbish," and jailed, until Alice bailed them out. They were fined $25 each and ordered to pick up the garbage.

Officer Obie had wanted to send a message. He didn't know the series of events would morph into a legendary '60s icon.

Fame for Alice

Alice's Church is still the center of things. The annual Garbage Trail Walk to Massacree, a walk-a-thon to raise money for Huntington's Chorea Disease research, starts here on May 22. It covers such touchstones as the Stockbridge Police Department, where you can see the cell door Guthrie faced from the inside and Theresa's Stockbridge Cafe (aka Alice's Restaurant) for sandwiches and cookies.

Guthrie's song said Alice's Restaurant was near the church, but it's more like a couple of miles and a different town. Its name wasn't really Alice's Restaurant but the Back Room Rest because it was the back of a grocery store and in an alley.

When Alice Brock bought it, it was Maluphy's Restaurant (kind of like how Alice's Church started as St. James Chapel in 1829, became Old Trinity Church in 1866, then had to be deconsecrated for the Brocks in 1964).

In Stockbridge, Alice Brock's cooking was so acclaimed that, celebrities came from across the street where they were performing at the Berkshire Theatre Festival, making her famous. Most people don't know that Alice's only lasted a year, that she gave away food, broke up with Ray, took the money and went to Puerto Rico.

picunurse
09-15-2005, 09:25 PM
I just want to say "thank you" to everyone. This thread has brought back very fond memories. :)

Annie-Xmas
09-16-2005, 07:25 AM
I still own my copy of Alice's Restaurant Cookbook (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/039440100X/qid=1126874108/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-5835104-3625661?v=glance&s=books&n=507846). I bought it when it first came out.

Mtgman
09-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Curse you all. I'll be singing this all day.
Of course you will. It takes all day to sing the damn thing. Forget "getting it stuck in my head" singing it ONCE will waste a day.

Enjoy,
Steven

Kalhoun
09-16-2005, 11:11 AM
I thought I heard Arlo recently (within the past couple years) bought the church and is rehabbing it.

I watched the movie on cable just a couple weeks ago. What a time warp THAT was!

snorlax
09-16-2005, 11:22 AM
I thought I heard Arlo recently (within the past couple years) bought the church and is rehabbing it.

He's owned it for around 15 years or so and runs a community centre there.

http://www.guthriecenter.org/main.shtml

Napier
09-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Alice had a cat, and cut a hole in her door for the cat to go in and out through, and dressed it up like a tiny little door. A friend of hers liked it and did the same thing to her own door. And that lady is a friend of ours, and we liked her door and copied it for our own 16 cats. Small world.