PDA

View Full Version : Why do assholes prefer BMWs?

KlondikeGeoff
09-26-2005, 01:39 PM
I'm sure not all BMW owners are assholes, but it surely seems like a preponderance of assholes drive them.

Is it that they need this car to boost their self confidence, or is it that buying a Beemer turns them into assholes? :confused:

UrbanChic
09-26-2005, 01:42 PM
I don't know. I consider myself to be an asshole of the highest order. My next car will be one of three BMWs. Make of that what you will.

Stuffy
09-26-2005, 02:00 PM
I don't recall getting a boost of assholery when I bought mine, so I guess I've always been one.

Athena
09-26-2005, 02:01 PM
Hmm, I don't think I'm an asshole, but I drive a BMW. Is there somewhere I can check? The "am I an asshole?" test?

Shagnasty
09-26-2005, 02:01 PM
I am an asshole and I had my lovely 3 series BMW until last year when I wasn't paying attention and slid into 3 cars at a red light. Luckliy it was the other drivers instead of me that got hurt. I decided to get an SUV after that but I will probably get another BMW next.

My wife drives a BMW. I suppose she is kind of a bitch but that started before she got the car. Hasn't helped any though.

My FIL drives a BMW 740IL. Everyone always says he is an incredible asshole but he does have some redeeming qualities. I didn't know him before he started driving BMW's.

Do you know the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?
The porcupine has a prick on the outside.

buttonjockey308
09-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Funny coincidence...I was just looking at the M5 on the BMW website, drooling over it, determining where to buy one. Coincidentally, I just got a promotion to management.

I'm wondering if there's a correlation.

Hmm...

ShibbOleth
09-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Maybe it's a regional thing. Most of the assholes around here drive large pickup trucks or SUVs, usually with "Choose Life" license plates or "Bush/Cheney" bumper stickers, but those are optional.*

*Note: not all cars with "Choose Life" plates or "Bush/Cheney" bumper stickers are driven by assholes around here. The majority are not assholes. But it does seem that every asshole is in a 4,000+ curbweight vehicle with those stickers/tags affixed.

Shagnasty
09-26-2005, 02:18 PM
BMW's really will turn you into a driving asshole. They cruise so fast and so well that it is easy to wonder why everyone else has slowed to a crawl until you look down and see that you are going 105. I have had countless passengers say they didn't believe we were going a mile over 60 when I was driving at 90 and above.

Likewise, they handle extremely well too so it is easy to drive them very aggressively in traffic. Most other cars just can't be driven the way a BMW can be very easily.

Airblairxxx
09-26-2005, 02:47 PM
I am in full agreement with the notion that BMW Driver = Asshole. I can't begin to count the number of times I've been cut off/tailgated/etc by BMW drivers. The wife and I are in complete agreement on this issue and will brook no contrary discussion.

Fortunately, I don't see too many BMWs here in Silicon Valley.

I'm kidding with that last part.

The New Guy
09-26-2005, 03:29 PM
'Cuz they were sold out of Hummers?

DiosaBellissima
09-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Sorry (http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwD0Ag0ZnSkDP8B8GCU4jNwm7xT7GT13VOTMb5HodxmptkVCFUYVCg3v*6DBikNt0*1m3asJnFpNQaYO!OjBas0vJE*6zBlTV43 j4mSEd!mZ4CZSr8UFgv!1GLmyleue/amandaangelb2k%20007.jpg?dc=4675406075721944071) :(

:: hangs head in shame ::

audiobottle
09-26-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm fairly certain that if I ever get my M3, I will instantly become a member of the distinguished order of the Orifice of the Ass. Fortunately I'll be flying by so fast and with such mind-numbing nimbleness, my asshole presence will only be felt for a fleeting moment.

Anaamika
09-26-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm not an asshole, but when I buy my BMW, I'll let you know if I've changed.

cardsfan1975
09-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Tiggrkitty has a Z3, and I haven't noticed any assholishness/bitchiness since she got it.

My dream car (most accessible one anyway) is an M3.

I want one. I will have one. And if getting one turns me into an asshole, well, then I'll be an asshole.

But, I'll be an asshole with an M3! :D

cf'75

Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
09-26-2005, 04:13 PM
I'm a first-rate asshole, where's my BMW?

GorillaMan
09-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Come to Britain, where everyone agrees that BMW drivers are wankers. Audi drivers, too.

Anastasaeon
09-26-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm an asshole. Be getting my BMW next year to prove it.

Seriously, it's like saying "Why are all Honda drivers assholes?" Well, there's bound to be a few. There are many asshole drivers, period.

TLDRIDKJKLOLFTW
09-26-2005, 04:30 PM
A serious answer - I think that the reason many BMW drivers are assholes is that the BMW brand has kind of become the ultimate lazy/unthinking status symbol - your average asshole knows that "BMW = Nice, bro" so that's what they buy. Any halfway-knowledgable auto afficianado knows that BMW's are exceedingly low quality vehicles with extensive maintenance problems, but your average ex-fratboy that's clawed his way up to middle management doesn't have the slightest clue other than that they're a status symbol, so that's what he drives.

Skywatcher
09-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Any halfway-knowledgable auto afficianado knows that BMW's are exceedingly low quality vehicles with extensive...and expensive maitenance problems. Perhaps the level of asshollery corresponds to the level of the repair bills?

RickJay
09-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Not just BMWs; I find VW drivers seem to be especially prone to cutting you off, not signalling, doing stupid shit in parking lots, etc., just like BMW drivers.

It's the German influence. The car wants to be a Panzer.

Actually, VCO3, you may be right about it being a status symbol and hence drawing from a self-selected sampling of shallow-minded simpletons (great alliteration.) My buddy, during his materialistic stage, bought a 318. I could not distinguish anything about the car that made it worth the price; it was a shitty little car with a useless backseat that had three significant breakdowns in a span of 24 months. It wasn't BAD when it worked, but I couldn't tell how it was really much better than an all-options Hyundai Elantra. It had decent pickup but nothing more impressive than my sister's used Buick Regal. But he was convinced it made him a big man, and his driving was just appalling after he got it.

Since he got engaged and became more of a human, he's trying to get rid of it.

Shagnasty
09-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Any halfway-knowledgable auto afficianado knows that BMW's are exceedingly low quality vehicles with extensive maintenance problems, but your average ex-fratboy that's clawed his way up to middle management doesn't have the slightest clue other than that they're a status symbol, so that's what he drives.

Uh oh. You going to get to see what real assholes BMW drivers are now that you said that.

I have to say that I respectfully disagree based on extensive personal experience and from reading expert opinions. They certainly seem like outstanding, beautifully engineered cars even after I have owned two of them and put thousands of miles on others.

What am I missing? Are you honestly saying that something like the M3 is a piece of garbage?

You are just mad because no one would let you drive their BMW.
:rolleyes:

Syntropy
09-26-2005, 04:45 PM
I am an asshole and I had my lovely 3 series BMW until last year when I wasn't paying attention and slid into 3 cars at a red light. Luckliy it was the other drivers instead of me that got hurt.

I think this answers THAT question. BMW driver=asshole. :p

I agree with VCO3. Ownership of a status symbol always seems to infer some kind of pomposity on the owner. Unfortunately. "This is what I drive. It's better than what you drive, therefore I can act however I like on the road."

TLDRIDKJKLOLFTW
09-26-2005, 04:51 PM
I agree with VCO3. Ownership of a status symbol always seems to infer some kind of pomposity on the owner. Unfortunately. "This is what I drive. It's better than what you drive, therefore I can act however I like on the road."

Exactly - but not just a status symbol, a particularly shallow or hollow status symbol, since its "coolness" or status is the only thing going for it. There are other cars, like the Mercedes, that are status symbols, but they're also truly great cars - they're status symbols because of their substance and quality rather than shallow, hollow fashion (like the BMW).

TLDRIDKJKLOLFTW
09-26-2005, 04:52 PM
You are just mad because no one would let you drive their BMW.

I actually have very little interest in driving anything, but I love taking public transportation. I'm sure that this "they want my toys!" attitude speaks volumes about BMW owners as well.

Fridgemagnet
09-26-2005, 04:53 PM
A serious answer - I think that the reason many BMW drivers are assholes is that the BMW brand has kind of become the ultimate lazy/unthinking status symbol - your average asshole knows that "BMW = Nice, bro" so that's what they buy. Any halfway-knowledgable auto afficianado knows that BMW's are exceedingly low quality vehicles with extensive maintenance problems, but your average ex-fratboy that's clawed his way up to middle management doesn't have the slightest clue other than that they're a status symbol, so that's what he drives.

Hit the nail on the head there I think - it's a brand loyalty thing for massive wankers. At least in the UK and US - any German Dopers out there on the German position? It's not just a performance/luxury thing, or Mercedes/Alfa Romeo/Lexus drivers would be similarly categorised. Though I see GorillaMan makes honorable mention of the Audi driver...

Elza B
09-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Would someone buy me a BMW so I can see if I turn into an asshole? I'll give you a ride every once in awhile.

E.

Syntropy
09-26-2005, 04:55 PM
The accusation of someone being jealous is not only a good justification for continuing assholery, it's almost impossible to disprove. How can you prove one way or another that you're not jealous? You're not going to be believed simply by denying it, and denying it and listing your reasons for what amounts to a personal preference just sounds lame. Good catch 22.

Mint Julep
My ex, the Porsche driver, has all BMW owners beat.

Fridgemagnet
There are other cars, like the Mercedes, that are status symbols, but they're also truly great cars - they're status symbols because of their substance and quality rather than shallow, hollow fashion (like the BMW).
Beat me like a ginger stepchild.

Danalan
09-26-2005, 04:57 PM
I decided to get an SUV after that but I will probably get another BMW next.Why did you decide to get an SUV rather than a BMW after the accident? Did you feel that the SUV would be safer? Because that's wrong. Really, really wrong. Most passenger cars, including the little econo-boxes, are way safer than SUV's. They also handle better, so they help you stay out of accidents.

I agree with the OP -- it seems a high percentage of selfish pricks choose to buy Beemer's. I'm sure BMW's marketing research says something similar. Wonder if that gives them any heartburn?

GorillaMan
09-26-2005, 05:02 PM
Wasn't there an episode of Top Gear recently, where they took the BMW 4x4 onto a decent test track, and it couldn't cope with anything at all?

TLDRIDKJKLOLFTW
09-26-2005, 05:04 PM
I am an asshole and I had my lovely 3 series BMW until last year when I wasn't paying attention and slid into 3 cars at a red light. Luckliy it was the other drivers instead of me that got hurt. I decided to get an SUV after that but I will probably get another BMW next.

You seriously must be putting us on with this post, if only because the idea that you might actually be serious is unthinkable and a one-way ticket to a brutal, serial-anal pitting.

C'mon, at least toss us the smirking smiley so we know that you were just playing around.

Shagnasty
09-26-2005, 05:32 PM
You seriously must be putting us on with this post, if only because the idea that you might actually be serious is unthinkable and a one-way ticket to a brutal, serial-anal pitting.

C'mon, at least toss us the smirking smiley so we know that you were just playing around.

The facts in that post are true. Just change the word "Luckilly" to "Regretably" and that will show how I really feel. I exchanged a word to increase the asshole factor that is supposed to be high per the OP.

Shagnasty
09-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Why did you decide to get an SUV rather than a BMW after the accident? Did you feel that the SUV would be safer? Because that's wrong. Really, really wrong. Most passenger cars, including the little econo-boxes, are way safer than SUV's. They also handle better, so they help you stay out of accidents.

I just wanted one. Very simple.

Khadaji
09-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Sorry (http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwD0Ag0ZnSkDP8B8GCU4jNwm7xT7GT13VOTMb5HodxmptkVCFUYVCg3v*6DBikNt0*1m3asJnFpNQaYO!OjBas0vJE*6zBlTV43 j4mSEd!mZ4CZSr8UFgv!1GLmyleue/amandaangelb2k%20007.jpg?dc=4675406075721944071) :(

:: hangs head in shame ::
Which one is you?

Giant_Spongess
09-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Pardon me, I always thought the definition of an asshole = young white male in a pickup truck.

Guess I didn't get the memo.

PunditLisa
09-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Hm, Mr. Pundit drives a BMV X5 (the BMW SUV). Technically that makes him a double asshole.

Of course, it's only when he drives.* Off the road, he's a pretty nice guy. Honest.

*Though, in response to the OP, he was an asshole driver when he drove his Dodge Charger, his Toyota Celica, his Cadillac Seville, AND his BMW X5.

DiosaBellissima
09-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Which one is you?

The left is my friend Amanda (she's pretty, no?) and I'm on the right. I think my assholishness went up two fold because I pose for pictures in the BMW. Am I right? :p

Hung Mung
09-26-2005, 06:12 PM
The biggest assholes here are either
1) middle aged women in Navigators, Expeditions, Hummers or other monstrous SUVs, or
2) scruffy, rat-faced shitheads who jump in and out of lanes in their souped up, half-painted, pizza-dishes-for-rims ricer cars.

Can't stand either one. If the speed limit is 45, then by Og I'm not going to go over 50. Especially not in the right-hand lane. Bastards.

hajario
09-26-2005, 06:17 PM
All of these nice peeps driving Beemers posting to this thread disproves the assertion. In addition, I think that there would be no one who would argue that I am not an asshole yet I drive a Honda.

chaparralv8
09-26-2005, 06:18 PM

No, no, a thousand times no.
BMWs are built much better than Mercedes-Benzes and Audis. They're built about as well as Toyotas or Mazdas. The engineering that goes into them is superb. The driving experience is what a car should be - great body control, plenty of grip, and tight, accurate steering.

There is no other mainstream manufacturer that relies on enthusiasts more or supports them better. BMW parts prices for pre-E39 5ers and pre-E46 3ers are among the lowest in the industry. They are or at least were straightforward and easy to work on - designed so they could actually be fixed by the owner. They're as durable and abuse-tolerant as a Honda. There is a toolkit in the trunk lid of every BMW for a good reason; you can actually fix the car with it when it breaks. Even the jack is decent and a decent factory jack is rarer than rocking horse manure.

Just because the average BMW buyer is a know-nothing wanker doesn't mean that's who the cars are designed for.

Syntropy
09-26-2005, 06:19 PM
All of these nice peeps driving Beemers posting to this thread disproves the assertion. In addition, I think that there would be no one who would argue that I am not an asshole yet I drive a Honda.
Well, I don't think you're an asshole, but that's only because you helped me with my Omaha game. However, I think I speak fairly when I opine that all poker players are assholes.

Khadaji
09-26-2005, 06:38 PM
The left is my friend Amanda (she's pretty, no?) and I'm on the right. I think my assholishness went up two fold because I pose for pictures in the BMW. Am I right? :p
You both are attractive young ladies. Alas, if only I were 20 years younger... :)

Shagnasty
09-26-2005, 06:52 PM
No, no, a thousand times no.
BMWs are built much better than Mercedes-Benzes and Audis. They're built about as well as Toyotas or Mazdas. The engineering that goes into them is superb. The driving experience is what a car should be - great body control, plenty of grip, and tight, accurate steering.

Amen. I have no idea what some of these people are smoking. BMW's are some well engineered machines.

I didn't even know I was interested in a BMW until I test drove one on a whim. I had just test driven a Mercedes and the difference was night and day in the BMW's favor. I was sold on BMW by its merits on that test drive.

silenus
09-26-2005, 07:01 PM
My asshole prefers Charmin Ultra.

Unintentionally Blank
09-26-2005, 07:14 PM
So, does this Assholiness extend to the Mini?

Diceman
09-26-2005, 07:49 PM
So, does this Assholiness extend to the Mini?
I can't tell. Whenever you see a Mini around here, it's usually been crushed under the wheels of a semi.

Just kidding. Mini drivers are, IME, very considerate. Mostly because they know that, if they aren't, they probably will end up crushed under the wheels of a semi ;)

I'd say that most Beemer drivers are assholes no matter what they drive. It's just that they tend to be attracted to high-end European cars like BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. Our manager at work drives an Audi. He would be a raging asshole even if he drove a Yugo.

Sublight
09-26-2005, 08:14 PM
Hmm, I don't think I'm an asshole, but I drive a BMW. Is there somewhere I can check? The "am I an asshole?" test?

Well, TheSpark.com used to have a Jerk Test, a Bitch Test, and a Bastard Test, so I suppose you could take an average of the three if you're curious (I'm 72% bastard).

Anyway, as for the OP, the biggest assholes I've met all drove Jeep Cherokees. Camaro/Trans Am also ranks up there, but that's a different price range.

CynicalGabe
09-26-2005, 08:34 PM
Damn sterotypes. :mad:

I'll have you know I drive a Chevy.

Man With a Cat
09-26-2005, 08:51 PM

Based on your posts, I'd say you're pretty low on the asshole scale.

But to the OP, I frequently choose to be an asshole, and I drive a Nissan.

Why are all those Nissan drivers such assholes they wonder as I race past them on the tollway?

Hung Mung
09-26-2005, 09:27 PM
Why do assholes prefer BMWs?
It's more comfortable...on the whole.

ccwaterback
09-26-2005, 10:02 PM
BMW's handle very well, they do know how to build a suspension, that is for sure. Other than that, they are pretty much junk, everything that can break will (I found out how hush-hush the beamer crowd is about this subject too). I spent many a long hour in the dealership with other assholes trying to get their beamers fixed too.

If anyone asks me if I think they should buy a beamer, I tell them to buy 2, and a tow bar.

DiosaBellissima
09-26-2005, 10:34 PM
BMW's handle very well, they do know how to build a suspension, that is for sure. Other than that, they are pretty much junk, everything that can break will (I found out how hush-hush the beamer crowd is about this subject too). I spent many a long hour in the dealership with other assholes trying to get their beamers fixed too.

There is some truth to that. The car needed an alignment, so I take it to the usual place (IE where we usually take our other cars) and they tell me that they can't align BMWs because "something with counter weights or something". They tell me that the only place that can align it is the dealership. Fine. I call the dealership and leave a message. And another message. And another message. Two weeks later I finally spoke to someone (after being all bitchy and speaking to a manager) and they say, "We can't align cars." :smack: :rolleyes: :mad:

Turns out there is ONE place in town (not the dealership) that can align BMWs. Ther service was awful (they had my car for 10 hours FOR AN ALIGNMENT!) and I had to pay $95 for a two wheel alignment.

Oh and don't even get me started on when the breaks went out... as soon as the warranty ended. $2000 later... yeah.

Other than that though, wonderful car ;)

kellner
09-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Hit the nail on the head there I think - it's a brand loyalty thing for massive wankers. At least in the UK and US - any German Dopers out there on the German position?It's a bit similar, but it is diluted because there are only two and a half premium brands. Traditionally pretty much every premium car was either a Mercedes or a BMW (ignoring sports cars.) In recent years Audi has been moving in that direction as well. Those are the brands for both wealthy buyers of the top-of-the-line models and status-conscious buyers of the entry-level models. There are also some Volvos, Jaguars and Lexuses (Lexus?) but not in comparable numbers.

So, yes, they have a bad reputation, but because there are so many of them in certain market segments, it doesn't really mean that much.

GrizzRich
09-27-2005, 02:06 AM
I had a former co-worker turn into an asshole (or perhaps it was a prick or a jerkoff he became... it's sometimes hard to tell the difference) once he purchased a (used) Porsche.

After a few days, I went into the parking lot to see it.

It was a 914.

From then on, I always used the quotations-marks-with-the-fingers-motion whenever I referred to his "Porsche".

I don't think he ever got it.

Alessan
09-27-2005, 02:58 AM
Why do BMWs have such small steering wheels?

So you can drive with handcuffs.

The BMW-driver = lowlife meme exists here in Israel, too.

Pushkin
09-27-2005, 04:53 AM
I have noticed of late that assholes (in Northern Ireland at least) are migrating to Audis...

Who_me?
09-27-2005, 06:46 AM
Simple answer... they don't make Camaro Z28's anymore.

ouryL
09-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Assholes = [BM]W's

ccwaterback
09-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Big Money Waster

shelbo
09-29-2005, 05:51 PM
Exactly - but not just a status symbol, a particularly shallow or hollow status symbol, since its "coolness" or status is the only thing going for it. There are other cars, like the Mercedes, that are status symbols, but they're also truly great cars - they're status symbols because of their substance and quality rather than shallow, hollow fashion (like the BMW).

If anyone asks me if I think they should buy a beamer, I tell them to buy 2, and a tow bar.

I gotta go with Shagnasty here. I've had one 3 series and two 5 series BMWs, and never had any significant mechanical issues. On the newest one, the first 4 years of scheduled maintenace was FREE. I never paid a dime, and the dealership gave me a loaner for every service visit. When I bought the car, it was only after driving every single other car in the category -- Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Nissan, Cadillac, Acura. Some were cheaper, some more expensive, none came close to driving as well.

Also, as to Mercedes making "truly great cars", I just gotta say, maybe once upon a time.

I know I'm an asshole, but I also know I don't drive like one. Well, unless you're in a motor home on Highway 1 south of Big Sur. Then I'll cut you off like a tired bartender at 2:00 am. :p

Pushkin
09-30-2005, 03:06 AM
Also, as to Mercedes making "truly great cars", I just gotta say, maybe once upon a time

I agreed with that line in "Sin City", where what-his-name who's been framed steals a Mercedes or "what passes for a Mercedes these days." They just don't look anywhere as good as they used to :)

And haven't they taken a tonne of grief for having poor poor build quality of late?

roger thornhill
09-30-2005, 03:21 AM
However crappy a BMW is, it can't be as bad as a Mazda. I had a second-hand 929 (http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2202/act/usedcarreviewphotos/), very flash looking, but utter shite under the bonnet. Then, I went and bought another one - again second-hand. Same thing happened. Kept overheating. Both pegged out at little more than 50,000 miles.

Then I saw sense and bought a Toyota Echo aka Yaris. Nearly three years and not a problem.

Pushkin
09-30-2005, 07:28 AM
However crappy a BMW is, it can't be as bad as a Mazda

Some cars would surprise you, in over 80 000 miles of learner driving on country roads my Mum's old French hatchback only threw the briefest of strops in our entire ownership and is still on the streets of our town at what must be over 100 000 miles of motoring. Being small and French made me think it would break down a lot more than it did.

Patty O'Furniture
09-30-2005, 08:16 AM
The first thing I thought of on reading the thread title was Rick Hoffman's character in Cellular (http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/c/cellular.html). Was he driving a BMW?

Just
09-30-2005, 08:35 AM
This (http://www.fazed.org/video/view/?id=104) BMW owner is an asshole - or at least, a complete idiot.

msmith537
09-30-2005, 08:38 AM
Well, as an asshole (but not one who ownes a car, let alone a "Beemer"), I can tell you that other assholes buy BMWs, Lexus (Lexi?), Porsches, and Hummers because they are "fuck you" cars. The only people who turn their nose down on them are people who you wouldn't care about anyway. In fact, you might like the fact that those people hate your car.

But as someone who gre up in an upper-middle class environment, it's fairly common for people to own BMWs and so on so it's not really that big a deal.

Sevastopol
09-30-2005, 09:43 AM
I agreed with that line in "Sin City", where what-his-name who's been framed steals a Mercedes or "what passes for a Mercedes these days." They just don't look anywhere as good as they used to :)

And haven't they taken a tonne of grief for having poor poor build quality of late?

You're hurting me here! Coming up to 4 years of 4 cylinder kompressor engine and not a glitch or gremlin. My baby's a gem.

I think there have been problems with the electricals of the bigger cars (too complex) and the mechanicals of the SUVs.

MovieMogul
09-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Last night I went to what's perhaps the best movie I've seen in a theater this year (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374345/), and one of the characters (a cop) provided his own personal strategy for dealing with asshole BMW drivers:

Pee in the keyhole. His reasoning: it'll stick, it'll stink, and it's something the insurance won't touch. It makes for a couple funny moments in an otherwise splendid, riveting thriller.

anu-la1979
09-30-2005, 11:36 AM
My brother-in-law drives a BMW and my boyfriend drives a Benz.

They're both nice guys...my sister and I maintain it's the freaking CAR that turns them into asshole drivers at least. There's some sort of feeling of "it's a Benz/BMW/Whatever so I can drive with impunity" type attitude that goes along with purchasing a luxury car when you're really young (and both my BIL and bf bought their own). On the other hand, my parents just purchased themselves a lovely Lexus and they drive it in the same way they drove their Camry...I think the younger you are when you purchase your first luxury car the more likely you are to drive like nimrod, everyone's MMV.

Balle_M
09-30-2005, 01:30 PM
There is some truth to that. The car needed an alignment, so I take it to the usual place (IE where we usually take our other cars) and they tell me that they can't align BMWs because "something with counter weights or something". They tell me that the only place that can align it is the dealership. Fine. I call the dealership and leave a message. And another message. And another message. Two weeks later I finally spoke to someone (after being all bitchy and speaking to a manager) and they say, "We can't align cars." :smack: :rolleyes: :mad:

Turns out there is ONE place in town (not the dealership) that can align BMWs. Ther service was awful (they had my car for 10 hours FOR AN ALIGNMENT!) and I had to pay $95 for a two wheel alignment.

Oh and don't even get me started on when the breaks went out... as soon as the warranty ended. $2000 later... yeah.

Other than that though, wonderful car ;)

Well, BMW does =

Bring
My
Wallet

Shagnasty
09-30-2005, 02:08 PM
It is true that the only real thing wrong with BMW's is that it costs a lot to fix them. I think that is mainly to keep the riffraff out though. After all, a gloriously beautiful stallion costs more to keep in shape than an old nag but the world would be a sad place if people always went for the more plebian options.

Cervaise
09-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Maybe it's a regional thing.I agree with this. The Beemerites aren't the problem here in Seattle. As indicated by RickJay, it's the fuckholes in the Jettas.

iwakura43
09-30-2005, 04:21 PM
I really like BMWs and I don't think I'm an asshole :o

I went to a BMW Ultimate Driving Experience last week and got to drive the new 3 series. It feels so much better put together than any other car I've driven--the important parts of the car, the steering, acceleration and brakes, are predictable, communicative, and just plain fun. Wish I could say as much for the new styling. I need to get myself an e36 325i.

3catshappy
09-30-2005, 04:53 PM
I drive a"cutting edge" Italian car in the UK and i get a lot of abuse, I.E.
"robbed a bank, you t**t!".

I earned every penny!!!

sinjin
09-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Old lady Beemer owner here. Didn't buy it for the image, etc. I wanted to replace my 5 speed 4-Runner, which I still love and have, couldn't bear to trade it in. :wally But, Toyota in its ever-loving logic stopped making the 4-Runner with a manual tranny. So I go looking for a cushy SUV (I am short and like the added height of an SUV--what sold me on the 4-Runner in the first place) replacement with a manual transmission. What do I find--zip except for the X-5. Compared to the 4-Runner it drives like a dream and can even get out of its own way on the highway. :)

My 5 speed (wish it was a 6) X-5 has 74,000 miles on it and I haven't had any maintence done on it but oil changes (every 15,000 miles) since it was new. Still has original brakes, clutch etc. Oh, and it cost less than my brother's atrocious mini-van.

I used to think BMW owners were pretentious too, but damn I do love X.

Jet Jaguar
09-30-2005, 07:15 PM
I'm not a World-Class asshole, only a National A-Class asshole. I do hope to move up to a World ranking someday. Four months ago I traded my Camaro for an Audi wagon, which may seem to be a lateral move (though Camaro means "Asshole with a shank in my boot"). Got it because we needed more space but didn't want an SUV and we liked it better than any of the station wagons we tested. Plus, you don't see many Audi's around here and we value novelty.

(slight hijack: We test drove a Magnum, but the main thing that turned me off was the salesman. Every time I called it a wagon, he would say "Chrysler doesn't make station wagons, it's a sport SUV." Which is stupidly redundant, since SUV is "Sport Utility Vehicle". I know someone in the marketing department decided that station wagons don't sell and SUV's are hot, but if it looks like a wagon and your customer keeps calling it a wagon, then drop the sport SUV line already.)

BTW, I've heard BMW = Bavarian Money Wagon, or (when talking about their motorcycles) Bikes Made Weirdly.

chaparralv8
09-30-2005, 07:19 PM
However crappy a BMW is, it can't be as bad as a Mazda. I had a second-hand 929 (http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2202/act/usedcarreviewphotos/), very flash looking, but utter shite under the bonnet. Then, I went and bought another one - again second-hand. Same thing happened. Kept overheating. Both pegged out at little more than 50,000 miles.

Then I saw sense and bought a Toyota Echo aka Yaris. Nearly three years and not a problem.

You may have gotten the only two badly built Mazdas ever. Aside from the 626 automatic transmission (a Ford component), piston-engined Mazdas are freakin' invincible.

Honda and Toyota accumulated a great record for reliability in the late 80s and early 90s, but how many 13-17 year old Hondas and Toyotas do you see now, compared to Mazdas of a similar era? Mazda was the little guy... they sold less than 1 626 for every 3 Accords then... and now you see a lot more "box" 626s than you see early '90s Accords or Camrys.

chaparralv8
09-30-2005, 07:21 PM
It is true that the only real thing wrong with BMW's is that it costs a lot to fix them. I think that is mainly to keep the riffraff out though. After all, a gloriously beautiful stallion costs more to keep in shape than an old nag but the world would be a sad place if people always went for the more plebian options.

It only costs a lot to fix them if you take them to a dealer. Turn your own Snap-Ons and they're dirt cheap to fix. At least apart from the cost of the Snap-Ons.

bittersweet
09-30-2005, 07:32 PM
Do you know the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?
The porcupine has a prick on the outside.

That is pretty funny.
My soon-to-be-ex drives a BMW. And yes, he is an Asshole Extroadinaire.

Danalan
09-30-2005, 07:50 PM
You may have gotten the only two badly built Mazdas ever. Aside from the 626 automatic transmission (a Ford component), piston-engined Mazdas are freakin' invincible. BS. My mother-in-law had a 323. Shoddy little POS. Under-powered, pieces falling off, electricals burning up... Mazda is crap in my book. I'd rather she had a BMW.

DiosaBellissima
10-01-2005, 12:56 AM
It only costs a lot to fix them if you take them to a dealer. Turn your own Snap-Ons and they're dirt cheap to fix. At least apart from the cost of the Snap-Ons.

But that's just it, I have to take it to the dealer. Example: The "Check Engine" light came on, so I took the car to our normal (and very good) mechanic. Later that day, he called "Yeah, our computer is showing three errors, but it can't read the error codes. I called the dealership, they wont tell me what it means. You are going to have to take it to them." I even went so far as calling the local "BMW/Audi/other importy car fixing" place-- they couldn't diagnose it either.

So I took the car to the dealership and some lil' seal in the engine (don't ask me what, I know absolutely nothing about cars) was wearing out and needed replacing. $300 later my car was fine. I gave our regular mechanic the paperwork and his jaw dropped, "That's a $30 part that would take 10 minutes to put in. I wouldn't have charged you more than $50 for it!"

Anywho, moral of the story: for most things, the car has to go to the dealership. Don't get me wrong, BMW has a wonderful warrenty, but as soon as that warrenty is up- you're screwed.

SkeptiJess
10-01-2005, 07:56 AM
The idea that BMW=empty status symbol is a tough one for my husband. He has always loved a BMW -- since he was a very young sailor with no aspiration towards status. He just likes them. He has researched them (we call it 'car porn'), test drove them and so on. A BMW is his dream car and has been for years. He wanted a 3-series, but he doesn't care for the new style. Oddly enough, I like the new 3-series better than the old one, but our tastes in cars are so different that we might as well be different species -- I drive a PT Cruiser, for crying out loud. Anyway, he's looked at lots of other cars in this class -- Mercedes, Lexus, Acura and so on, but he always comes back to the BMW... And he gets frustrated with the accusation of pretentiousness -- agains, he's liked these cars since before he even knew what 'pretentious' meant.

Harleys are similar. Kevin has rode motorcycles since he was 15 years old and has owned Kawasakis, Suzukis and Hondas in addition to the Harley we own now and the one he owned just before we met. He has always loved a Harley and has wanted one since he was 12. But, he looks like a yuppie, so people think he just bought the bike as a, yes -- status symbol, and has only been riding a year. I offered to get him a teeshirt that says "Motorcyclist since 1974, Harley owner since 1982" but he doesn't wear stupid teeshirts.

Anyway, I don't know why we can't put some of this down to tastes -- some peole like BMWs and not all of them for pretentious purposes. Other people like other cars. And there are assholes driving all makes and models of vehicles -- there are even assholes on public transportation or on foot. Maybe you just notice the assholes in Beemers more, because you notice the Beemers more?

All that siad, I could wait to call Kevin and tell him the Porcupine joke -- very funny, whoever posted it!

Coldfire
10-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Only tasteless assholes drive BMW's. Sophisticated pricks drive cars like this one. (http://coldfire.50megs.com/Alfa%20166%20web/AlfaRomeo166.html) :)

(Screw yer Bavarian in-line-sixes, there's nothing that comes close to the sound of an Italian V6. OK, maybe an Italian boxer-12. :))

Nah, BMW's are fine, and assholes can be found in all sorts of cars. Over here, BMW's do have the asshole reputation, but I personally get more annoyed by the vast contingent of VW Golf/Seat Leon/Audi A3 lease car drivers, all diesel, who think they're driving some sort of invincible sports car.

Back to third, floor it, gorgeous roar of the V6, and you'll leave that silly Gerry econobox in a cloud of its own diesel smoke.

Glorious. :)

wonderlust
10-01-2005, 07:07 PM
It used to be that drivers of black Porsches were the height of assholiness. I've been asleep for 20 years, so someone please tell me when they changed teams.