PDA

View Full Version : Songs that have long musical intros

baileygrrrl
10-05-2005, 02:45 PM
I was listening to the radio on the way into work and hear a couple of songs that inspired this thread. The first was YYZ by Rush and the second was Crazy on you by Heart. The Rush song I kept thinking was an intro to a song and kept expecting to hear the lyrics start. With the Heart song, I always get confused because I think it's the intro to Crazy on you but really it's Silver Wheels which always seems to be played before COY.

It got me thinking about songs that have long musical intros. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I imagine Doors have a few, maybe Rush or Van Halen.

I guess I'm looking for Rock songs, mostly.

Hal Briston
10-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Oddly enough, I've had Funeral For A Friend stuck in my head all day.

Marathon
10-05-2005, 02:50 PM
That John Mellencamp song. "I Need a Lover (Who Won't Drive Me Crazy)". Very long intro, after which hearing the actual song is sort of a let-down.

soulmurk
10-05-2005, 02:54 PM
To Live is to Die by Metallica.

baileygrrrl
10-05-2005, 03:02 PM
I was listening to the radio on the way into work and hear a couple of songs that inspired this thread. The first was YYZ by Rush and the second was Crazy on you by Heart. The Rush song I kept thinking was an intro to a song and kept expecting to hear the lyrics start. With the Heart song, I always get confused because I think it's the intro to Crazy on you but really it's Silver Wheels which always seems to be played before COY.

It got me thinking about songs that have long musical intros. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I imagine Doors have a few, maybe Rush or Van Halen.

I guess I'm looking for Rock songs, mostly.

Push You Down
10-05-2005, 03:05 PM
"Theme from Shaft" is 3 minutes long. It's all instrumental for the first minute.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
10-05-2005, 03:10 PM
The original radio version of "Dreamboat Annie" by Heart had a long intro.

"New Year's Day" by U2 has a rather long intro.

"Road to Hell" by Chris Rea.

Boardwalk Elvis
10-05-2005, 03:19 PM
If you're looking for non-live stuff, which I assume you are, I offer you:

NIN - Something I Can Never Have from Pretty Hate Machine (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000000GPY/002-9677220-4384040?v=glance)

dotchan
10-05-2005, 03:21 PM
"Toxicity" by System of a Down has pretty long intro, and although I haven't timed it I always miss a few bars when I'm trying to sing it, much to the irritation of my little brother.

Marley23
10-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Life's Been Good by Joe Walsh has a long intro that seems to have nothing to do with the music in the verses, although it repeats a few times during the song.

Lord Ashtar
10-05-2005, 03:27 PM
A lot of Opeth's songs do this. One song in particular (Blackwater Park from the album of the same name) is a little over 10 minutes long with a 3 minute instrumental intro.

picunurse
10-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Roundabout by Yes, Low Spark of High-heeled Boys by Traffic, Locomotive Breath by Jethro Tull

kelly5078
10-05-2005, 03:43 PM
"Radar Love"
"Gimme Shelter"
"Won't Get Fooled Again"
"Down by The River" and "Cowgirl in the Sand"

AmbushBug
10-05-2005, 03:49 PM
"One Night in Bangkok" (Murray Head) comes to mind, with about a minute of orchestral tuning leading in.

I was also going to suggest "More Human Than Human" by White Zombie but the intro is arguably not musical (moaning of a, um, rhythmic nature).

As I recall when either song is on the radio, the intro is always skipped.

MacSpon
10-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Bat out of Hell by Meat Loaf.

kunilou
10-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Rod Stewart's Maggie Mae either has a 40-second intro, or there's a 40-second bonus track that leads right into the song, depending on which way the album is labeled.

Ellen Cherry
10-05-2005, 04:35 PM
I Need a Lover by John Cougar.

Telemark
10-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Sweet Jane by Lou Reed

Robot Arm
10-05-2005, 05:51 PM
The Theme from Shaft

Richard Pearse
10-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Pink Floyd have a number of songs with long intros (almost all of them have long intros by radio single standards.)

A couple of examples:

Echoes (Meddle)
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Wish You Were Here)

Mr. Blue Sky
10-05-2005, 06:03 PM
"Walk Right In" by the Rooftop Singers.

RealityChuck
10-05-2005, 06:36 PM
"Gimme Three Steps" -- Lynyrd Skynyrd
"I need a Lover Who Won't Drive me Crazy" -- John Mellencamp

interface2x
10-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Tool has a million of these. "Third Eye" has a reeeaaaaaally long intro.

Coldfire
10-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Dire Straits: Tunnel of Love, and Telegraph Road.

Pretty much the entire repertoire of Dream Theater, and half of Rush and Yes.

xizor
10-05-2005, 07:50 PM
"Rock Me" by Great White

John Carter of Mars
10-05-2005, 08:37 PM
"Hotel California" by The Eagles.

kaylasdad99
10-05-2005, 08:45 PM
This one is cheating, technically, but what the hell.

On Elton John's album Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, the song "Love Lies Bleeding" is preceded by "Funeral for a Friend," an instrumental. Because the one cut flows seamlessly into the next, I always regarded "Funeral for a Friend" as an extremely long intro to "Love Lies Bleeding."

My experience is based on the vinyl album; I never owned the CD, and I do not know whether a break was interposed between the two songs upon remastering.

Smapti
10-05-2005, 08:47 PM
The Who and Pete Townshend are perhaps the biggest contributors (or should one say offenders?) to this style of songwriting. Off the top of my head:

"Baba O'Riley"
"Won't Get Fooled Again"
"Who Are You"
"Eminence Front"
"A Little is Enough"
"Face the Face"
"Come to Mama"
"Let My Love Open the Door"

and at least a few others have lengthy, sometimes synthesizer-only intros that run for a minute or more.

Green Bean
10-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Sweet Jane by Lou Reed

Van Halen's cover of Pretty Woman

Green Bean
10-05-2005, 09:05 PM
And Big Ol' Jet Airliner (or whatever it's called) by the Steve Miller Band.

And that one by Boston...you know which one I'm talking about, right?

dougie_monty
10-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Some really old ones:
"I Can't Get Started" by Bunny Berigan
"Kaye's Melody" by Sammy Kaye
"When Did You Leave Heaven?" By Guy & Carmen Lombardo
A newer one: "Black Magic Woman" by Santana
There's an unusual NON-music intro, which has no perceptible connection with the rest of the song:"Mr. Bojangles" by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. In the spoken prologue, an old man tells about his old dog "Teddy," who can, supposedly, sing "Old Rugged Cross."

AuntPam
10-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Pinball Wizard has a fairly long intro that's all on the right channel of your stereo system, until the SCHHWONNNG! suddenly blows your left speaker off the wall. Remember this. It's a good way to check if you hooked up your speakers correctly. I know because when our college radio station converted to stereo FM, for a while we only had a left channel VU meter. So the disk jockey would keep desperately raising the level of the intro (none of which was IN the left channel, to start) until the Moment of Truth when you could see lightining bolts erupting from the transmitter on Hungarford Hill.

Extra points if you can identify the station from the transmitter location.

Flipstrip
10-06-2005, 12:27 AM
"I'd Do Anything For Love" by Meatloaf.

RobuSensei
10-06-2005, 01:38 AM
"Firth of Fifth," by Genesis (in their early, Peter Gabriel days)

KGS
10-06-2005, 02:18 AM
A lot of 80's thrash metal songs have really long intros. Examples include "Sight of the Wise" by Sacrilege, "Death Camps" by Sacred Reich, and "Pleasures of the Flesh" by Exodus.

Another song that's recently been getting lots of airplay on VH1 Classic is "Honey Bucket" by the Melvins. The intro lasts for over 1 minutes but the entire song is barely three minutes long!

neuroman
10-06-2005, 02:40 AM
Just as a side note, it seems that long musical intros that were much more common in the 1970s have gone the way of the dodo in contemporary rock songs.

ouryL
10-06-2005, 02:59 AM
The beginning of "Stairway To Heaven" is heavenly.

MrDibble
10-06-2005, 03:46 AM
To Live is to Die by Metallica.
Also "One", IMO the best rock intro ever...even better than "Stairway"

dougie_monty
10-06-2005, 10:26 AM
...and don't forget Isaac Hayes' "Shaft," which is almost entirely musical intro...

Capt. Ridley's Shooting Party
10-06-2005, 10:30 AM
I wanna be adored - The Stone Roses

Annie-Xmas
10-06-2005, 11:16 AM
This one is cheating, technically, but what the hell.

On Elton John's album Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, the song "Love Lies Bleeding" is preceded by "Funeral for a Friend," an instrumental. Because the one cut flows seamlessly into the next, I always regarded "Funeral for a Friend" as an extremely long intro to "Love Lies Bleeding."

My experience is based on the vinyl album; I never owned the CD, and I do not know whether a break was interposed between the two songs upon remastering.

The same is true for the Intro to Jesus Christ Superstar, that blends perfectly into the first song "Heaven on Their Minds."

Note: I'm not talking about the song "Superstar" here, but the album.

Eonwe
10-06-2005, 11:24 AM
The same is true for the Intro to Jesus Christ Superstar, that blends perfectly into the first song "Heaven on Their Minds."

Note: I'm not talking about the song "Superstar" here, but the album.

Though, having played that show, the Overture and Heaven on Their Minds are definitely two different pieces, with a stop (albeit brief) and start.

Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding are indeed one track on the CD, though interestingly in the Elton John songbook, they're listed separately, but with the last measure of FfaF being followed by the words, "continued on page such-and-such," and there is no double bar at the end of the song. I've never seen anything written in such a way.

Scott Plaid
10-06-2005, 11:33 AM
I guess I'm looking for Rock songs, mostly.Well, that's too bad, because I am taking you to Funky Town (http://www.funkytown.com/)*

Lipps Inc., proprietors

av8rmike
10-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Oddly enough, I've had Funeral For A Friend stuck in my head all day.I always regarded "Funeral for a Friend" as an extremely long intro to "Love Lies Bleeding."That John Mellencamp song. "I Need a Lover (Who Won't Drive Me Crazy)".I Need a Lover by John Cougar."I need a Lover Who Won't Drive me Crazy" -- John Mellencamp"Theme from Shaft" is 3 minutes long. It's all instrumental for the first minute....and don't forget Isaac Hayes' "Shaft," which is almost entirely musical intro...Here are three I can't believe no one has mentioned: "Funeral for a Friend" by Elton John, "I Need a Lover" by John (Cougar) Mellencamp, and the theme from "Shaft". :p

One no one has yet mentioned, however, is the seldom-heard extended intro to Dire Strait's "Money for Nothing".

don't ask
10-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Dave Matthews' intro to American Baby runs out to 2:04 but is listed as a separate track on the CD.