PDA

View Full Version : I am so fucking tired of the SDMD taking so long to load..

Asmodeus
08-10-2000, 12:15 PM
that I am going to bed to wait for this to post.

geez.

Fix it will ya?

mouthbreather
08-10-2000, 12:42 PM
Asmodeus, fuck you.

"Ohhh, I get something fantastic for free and now, for the first time in two months, it's slow"

Tell mommy to change your diaper and shut the hell up.

Spider
08-10-2000, 12:59 PM
I only wish that in GQ people made their question clear in the subject line. Or at least hinted at it, so I didn't have to wait to read about a math question. Those hurt my brain.

hawthorne
08-10-2000, 01:07 PM
It's been slow for perhaps 90 minutes. Go and check out http://www-usa.cricket.org/ : the Sri Lanka/ Sth Africa test has ended in an suggestive draw.

picmr

Ukulele Ike
08-10-2000, 02:11 PM
picmr:

Thank you! Thank you, my friend!!! Now I shall NEVER AGAIN lack for instantaneous Internet entertainment!

"John Ward profiles Zimbabwe's Neil Johnson in The Cricketer magazine."

Swooooooooon!!!

andros
08-10-2000, 04:50 PM
Now, now, Uke. Some people really do find cricket, er, interesting.

Duck Duck Goose
08-10-2000, 05:04 PM
Well, I was sorry to see that India (http://www-usa.cricket.org/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/CURRENT/046288_CI_10AUG2000.html) has pulled out of the Sahara Cup competition as a protest against what they refer to as "Pakistan's support of cross-border terrorism". Too bad that politics has to spill over like that. How would it be if the Cubs pulled out of the Pennant Race--oh, wait, never mind...

(No, I'm not a particular cricket fan, but I appreciated the link, enjoyed the website, and have added it to my Favorites list, under "Amusements".)

P.S. Yeah, the boards are slow for me, too, this week, but I'm assuming that if it were something the techs could fix, they would.

Maeglin
08-10-2000, 05:10 PM
When I first discovered SDMB, then it was really slow. I wouldn't be able to fire off more than five posts a day, tops. Now everything seems fine and dandy to me...

But I admit it does have its moments. Just because something is free does not mean all of its recipients have to praise its every fart and ignore all of its shortcomings. If the board is slow, its fucking slow, and Asmo shouldn't have to take shit for complaining about it.

MR

mouthbreather
08-10-2000, 05:30 PM
MR, there's a right way and a wrong way to go about things.

I think that the pwers that be around here are well aware when the board slows down. Guess what? I hate it too. It sucks. But stomping your feet while it's slow isn't going to do a goddam thing.

"geez. fix it will ya?"

SDMB staff: "Well, we weren't going to do anything at all, but now since Asmodeus just personally requested it, we will fix it ASAP."

Maeglin
08-10-2000, 05:48 PM
Mouthbreaker, I take your point. One can complain, but one does not have to be a whiny bitch.

MR

mouthbreather
08-10-2000, 05:54 PM
"Mouthbreaker"

heheh. I assume that was intentional?

UncleBeer
08-10-2000, 06:04 PM
... but now since Asmodeus just personally requested it, we will fix it ASAP.
No, we're still not going to fix it. Asmodeus didn't say the magic word, so fuck 'im. Actually, there's nothing to fix since Jerry worked his voodoo recently; it's simply the volume of traffic that causes slowdowns.

capacitor
08-10-2000, 06:25 PM
It seems as if it is slow because it has to call at least 130 graphics per filled page. Although the graphic sizes are small, they still take time to load.

London_Calling
08-10-2000, 08:26 PM
I don't know if it's graphics, maybe. Pondering on this earlier today, I thought it might have something to do with the server load at particular periods - something like when it's 12.30 - 2. 00pm on the East Coast is really slow for me (lunchtime ?). Isn't that the time CA's getting to the office, also ?

It's also unusual that the SDMB doesn't carry any advertising (apart from that bloody ugly thing up top) so maybe they're reluctant to spend out the folding stuff on a bigger server without revenue coming in.

I guess maybe the powers that be set a kind of max and the rest is like MB Darwinism - only the fitest wait for the page to load.

Anyway, that little idle stream of thought developed while I was waiting.

It sounds like you should all be as excited as us about the forthcoming 4th Test between England and the West Indies - it's going to be a white knuckle ride !! :)

CnoteChris
08-10-2000, 09:46 PM
You go to bed at 11:30 in the morning?

London_Calling
08-11-2000, 04:43 AM
Yeah Chris, I sometimes go to bed at that time - if it's 11.30am in CA.

It's +5 hours from the East Coast and +8 from the West so I do sometimes stay up late. Don't tell mum.

Stuffy
08-11-2000, 06:03 PM
something like when it's 12.30 - 2. 00pm on the East Coast is really slow for me (lunchtime ?). Isn't that the time CA's getting to the office, also ?

Hey 12:30 on the east coast is 9:30 here on the West Coast, that's much too early to be getting up :D