PDA

View Full Version : Removing 1911 Hammer spur

CynicalGabe
11-19-2005, 12:37 AM
How do I remove the hammer spur on my 1911 so I can put in my commander-style hammer? Thanks.

Mac Guffin
11-19-2005, 02:11 AM
How do I remove the hammer spur on my 1911 so I can put in my commander-style hammer? Thanks.

First, what is a 1911
Second, what the heck is a hammer spur?

Is this a gun question?

CynicalGabe
11-19-2005, 02:38 AM
Yes. The hammer spur... is the spur attached to the hammer. :)

T_SQUARE
11-19-2005, 03:24 AM
Check out a 1911 board. They will have forgot more about sidearms than we'll ever know.

Happy shooting-
T^2

Stranger On A Train
11-19-2005, 04:18 AM
Unless you know what you are doing this is best done by a reputable gunsmith. Not only does trying to remove the hammer open up the possibility of dinking up the grip safety, there's also a good chance you'll mar up the finish of the gun. If you are bound and determined to do this yourself, here (http://www.sightm1911.com/bookstore/shop_manual.htm) is the bible for gunsmithing the 1911. (Forget the Gun Digest pub...it's the Maxim of gun rags.) It's not all that difficult but it does require significant disassembly and the right tools. I'd have a gunsmith show you how to do it properly, t'were I you.

FWIW, I was once determined to field strip and clean my Ruger Mark II. I learned the hard way what a bitch that gun is to take down; a gunsmith I consulted told me "I never take those things apart unless there's something wrong--I just take the grips off and soak it in solvent to clean it." As a result, it has a few marks on it where I had to punch out the receiver pin.

Mind you, I'm not recommending you don't change the hammer--the standard spur hammer is going to snap at you like a bitch in heat; not only would I put a rounded hammer, I'd also replace the grip safety with a beavertail grip, to completely prevent getting pinched. (It'll happen every time you go through a couple of boxes of ammo; you get a little tired and the damn thing starts grabbing your thumb web. Just be glad you didn't by a Walther PPK...those things are evil.)

What other mods are you planning? I'd definitely recommend tritium sights if this is going to be a defensive pistol; Metropolite makes the best value for the money, I think--Trijcon are just a little too pricey. Improved recoil springs are a good idea, although I've never used them, bushingless barrels strike me as a good idea, as the single most likely to fail component on the 1911 is a cracked barrel bushing. What kind of holster are you/have you bought for the gun?

Stranger

CynicalGabe
11-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Mods:
Hogue grip. Love it already!
Wilson Combat Shok-BUFF recoil buffers, full-length guide rod and recoil spring
A bevelled magwell guide (as soon as I can figure out how to remove the staked gripscrew bushings).
I would like some nice mep sights, but money is short after buying the rest of this crap. :), and I will get to replacing the trigger eventually.

For a holster I have a Bianchi paddle holster.

I already know how to completely field strip it, and removing the hammer without damage is child's play. I will have to consider taking it to the local gunsmith, however, but not today, as I am going to spend some time chewing up some targets. :)

Johnny L.A.
11-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Unless you know what you are doing this is best done by a reputable gunsmith.
I don't think it's that bad. I took my 1991-A1 apart a couple of times. First to put it into the -A1 configuration, and then to put it back into the classic 1911 configuration. I didn't take the hammer out, but I took of the spring housing. IIRC (this was a long time ago) some of the fiddly bits came out at the same time because I didn't exactly know what I was doing. But it went back together 'easily' enough and it works fine to this day. I've also built three or four AR-15s. Different animals, but I built them from stripped lowers and parts. I've even managed to put my Ruger Mk.II back together a couple of times!

I find many guns, especially those that have been odopted by the military, to be fairly simple machines. You have to know something about how machines work, but it's not that hard. I had a harder time figuring out how to retract the rollers on my HK-91 the first time I removed the bolt (and had to re-figure it out for the SAR-8 when a friend locked the rollers when the bolt was out once) than I remember having when I took the Colt apart.

But yeah, you have to be careful not to mar the finish. And you have to be somewhat adept at noting what goes where when you're taking things apart, and you should have some sort of manual that contains the information you'll forget.

Johnny L.A.
11-19-2005, 01:33 PM
Oh -- I'm not trying to be snarky. Just saying that going to a gunsmith to change out a hammer wouldn't be my first choice, cheap bastard that I am. ;)

Stranger On A Train
11-19-2005, 03:17 PM
I don't think it's that bad.Mebbee not; can't recall as if I've ever done it or not. I do have occasional nightmares about the magazine safety on the Browning Hi-Power. It's almost as if they don't want you to bypass their built-in safety system. :dubious:

Some military weapons are easy to work on, others not so much. The Garand and the M14 can be pretty much completely taken down in field; the M1 Carbine and the M16 can get jammed solid like nobody's business and require an armoror's workshop to clear out. The 1911 has a few flaws, IMHO, that Browning rectified in the Hi-Power (and that were further improved by Ceská zbrojovka and SIG Sauer in their respective line of Browning-style lockup pistols.

Stranger

Beware of Doug
11-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Is this a gun question?I was confused at first. It sounded like a gun question, but you know what decided me? The random capitalization of "Hammer."

I've just happened to notice that gun users capitalize more words than the rest of us. Often they're titles or institutions that are somehow Official, but not exclusively.

Then again, Gabe could just have mean to type:
Removing 1911 Hammer Spur
and missed the shift key before hitting s.

CynicalGabe
11-19-2005, 06:53 PM
I've just happened to notice that gun users capitalize more words than the rest of us.
It's because we're more.... whatever. I got Nuthin'.

and missed the shift key before hitting s.
Yep. That's It.