PDA

View Full Version : Keyless entry remote programming?

LVgeogeek
11-19-2005, 04:47 PM
When I bought my 4Runner, it only had the one remote and they want 150$ for a new one :eek: plus the charge for programming it.
I found the identical remote (same FCCID and serial) on eBay for a fraction of the price, but it has no programming directions. I googled and found directions for Lexus remote and some "Toyota Security" website, but I think that is just for their brand of remote.

So my question is Does anybody know how to program a keyless remote for a Toyota 4Runner? Or am I going to have to fork the money over to Toyota to have them program the remote.

(It is a 2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5)

Hilarity N. Suze
11-19-2005, 11:46 PM
Might be worth asking your dealer--programming it's not such a big deal. A couple of years ago I lost my keys and, thinking whoever had them could break into my car, I got a new keyless entry and had the thing reprogrammed.

Then, months later, I found the keys. My dealer re-reprogrammed the old one to match the new setup, took about 10 seconds, and he didn't charge me. (Although it being a dealership they had charged me plenty for every other thing and hence made up for it.)

Rick
11-20-2005, 06:18 AM
Not sure about Toyota remotes, but some car makers use security codes that come shipped with the remote. If you do not have the security codes, the remote is worthless
I would suggest checking it out before lay down any money for a remote that cannot be programmed due to missing codes.

Dog80
11-20-2005, 09:34 AM
LVgeogeek, you have e-mail!

LVgeogeek
11-20-2005, 03:38 PM
I would suggest checking it out before lay down any money for a remote that cannot be programmed due to missing codes.

I got the remote on eBay for 15 dollars. So even if it doesnt work out, I havent spent that much money.

Thanks Dog, I'll try the instructions out after I get a new battery for the remote. :)