PDA

View Full Version : could someone possibly be hacking into my livejournal?

sambean18
11-20-2005, 04:58 PM
i have a friends only livejournal and a friends only livejournal community with a couple of old friends from high school. recently much of the content of our posts has been reproduced by someone i know through the internet on their blog, and i was wondering if it was possible for them to actually be hacking into our community and accessing these posts. how would they be doing this? are they using someone's password, or accessing it through breaking into a mainframe of the website? i don't know much about this, but i'm wondering, how safe a site is livejournal? and how can i stop them from getting to the posts again?

thanks.

Shagnasty
11-20-2005, 05:04 PM
If it is indeed happening, I can almost assure you that it is by a leaked password. Hacking into LiveJournal's servers (not mainframes; those are the big IBM things) sounds a little much to get some content from a friend's Livejournal and would be pretty difficult for any non-mega-expert.

pesch
11-20-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm not familiar with the LiveJournal format beyond visiting some. I assume from your OP that your journal is supposed to be locked and cannot be access by non-members, but I would suggest checking using this method.

Find an unusual combination of a few contiguous words in one of your hacked posts and google it, making sure to put quotes around them. For example, in the paragraph above, I would google "LiveJournal format beyond" and see what I get.

Can someone access your journal by googling your name?

If you don't get any hits by the above method, then I would go with Shagnasty's conclusion.