PDA

View Full Version : Songs with hidden/double entendre meanings

Leaffan
12-14-2005, 11:08 PM
For example, Cyndi Lauper's previously popular little ditty "She Bop" is about masturbation.

The Beatles song, "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" is about tripping on LSD (as recently confirmed by Sr. Paul.)

What other songs have these "supposed" hidden meanings? Especially ones that managed to escape the puritanical censors?

I've heard rumours that Van Halen's "Panama" is actually "Enema" and that's what Diamond Dave is actually singing......... "Enema......Enema-a-a-a-a-a."

What do you think?

Jump back, what’s that sound ?
Here she comes, full blast and top down.

Skywatcher
12-14-2005, 11:15 PM
The Beatles song, "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" is about tripping on LSD (as recently confirmed by Sr. Paul.)After 40 years of denials.

Reepicheep
12-14-2005, 11:26 PM
The Beatles song, "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" is about tripping on LSD (as recently confirmed by Sr. Paul.)

Cite? Snopes is still saying false.

Leaffan
12-14-2005, 11:27 PM
I'll even reply to my own post; here's another one.

Lollipop lollipop
Oh lolli lolli lolli
Lollipop lollipop.....

No problem guessing this one.....

Leaffan
12-14-2005, 11:33 PM
Cite? Snopes is still saying false.

Hmm... Heard it on the radio a few months back that Paul had finally come clean. No cite. Reputable news radio station though. Let me look into it. (Although really, was there ever any doubt?)

Superdude
12-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Just an FYI, Leaffan - and no junior modding intended - but the powers that be tend to frown upon quoting the full lyrics to a song. Copyright issues, and all that.

Civil Guy
12-14-2005, 11:51 PM
Let me be the first: "Louie, Louie" - a song with as many meanings when played backwards as forwards (okay, I've never tried it).

"Stairway to Heaven" - there's got to be hidden meanings in there somewhere.

:)

RickJay
12-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Hmm... Heard it on the radio a few months back that Paul had finally come clean. No cite. Reputable news radio station though. Let me look into it. (Although really, was there ever any doubt?)
Paul McCartney didn't write the lyrics. Unless he had ESP, who's he to say?

The denial seems very strong. There's a witness to the alternative explanation, and in fact images of the picture still exist. It's difficult to understand why Lennon would lie about something like that when he was prone to saying what was on his mind about pretty much everything.

Superdude
12-14-2005, 11:55 PM
Isn't that whole "hedgerow" line supposed to be about menses?

silenus
12-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Jackson Browne's "Rosie" - It takes a second, but then you realize that it's about masturbation.

Rosie, you're alright.
(You wear my ring.)
When you hold me tight.
(Baby that's my thing.)
When you turn out the light, I've got to hand it to me.
It looks like it's me and you again tonight, Rosie.

Thudlow Boink
12-15-2005, 12:34 AM
XTC's song "Pink Thing" works as an extended double entendre. The "pink thing" in the title could be the singer's new baby, or it could be his other pink thing.

Oslo Ostragoth
12-15-2005, 12:53 AM
Z Z Top's Pearl Necklace.

[QUOTE]She's so cold, as pure as the driven slush.
And that's not jewelry she's talkin'about,
It really don't cost that much.

QUOTE]

lissener
12-15-2005, 01:11 AM
Paul McCartney didn't write the lyrics. Unless he had ESP, who's he to say?

The denial seems very strong. There's a witness to the alternative explanation, and in fact images of the picture still exist. It's difficult to understand why Lennon would lie about something like that when he was prone to saying what was on his mind about pretty much everything.
Here's how I imagine it: the coincidence of the picture inspired the guys to write a song about an LSD trip. Personal theory; no cite. But come on. How could someone familiar with LSD and its effects write a song whose title abbreviates out to "L.S.D.," with the imagery that the lyrics describe, and claim with a straight face, "Honest, officer, it never entered our mind!"

Please.

crowmanyclouds
12-15-2005, 01:20 AM
Z Z Top's Pearl Necklace.Ya mean she really did wanna pearl necklace? (http://partytimejewelry.com/artwork/large/necklaces/l6011ng.jpg)

SleepyDuck
12-15-2005, 03:31 AM
Let's not forget "Turning Japanese", to continue the masturbation theme (Or am I the only one doing it? :) ).

AFA "Lucy in the Sky", I believe all of the denials were in regards to the title of the song vis a vis the initials Lucy...Sky...Diamonds. I think it has been obvious since the beginning what the song is actually about.

Larry Mudd
12-15-2005, 04:28 AM
But come on. How could someone familiar with LSD and its effects write a song whose title abbreviates out to "L.S.D.," with the imagery that the lyrics describe, and claim with a straight face, "Honest, officer, it never entered our mind!"

Please.Anyone who's familiar with the effects of LSD will probably be reminded of them if they attempt to read James Joyce's Finnegans Wake, too-- and you don't have to resort to acrostics to find the "L.S.D." It's right there in Book I (http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:Xo3axCnePXUJ:eldar.cz/myf/txt/joyce_-_finnegans_wake_v1.0.txt):First and Last Only True Account au about the Honorary Mirsu Earwicker, L.S.D. ... The proteiform graph itself is a polyhedron of scripture.Now, you may argue that at the time Joyce was writing, "L.S.D." was more commonly used as slang for "money," ("pounds, shillings, and pence,") but if so, what are the chances that, in the very same section, a pun linking L.S.D. with psychedelic drugs would be made? Master Shemmy on his very first debouch at the very dawn of protohistory seeing himself such and such, when playing with thistlewords in their garden nursery, Griefotrofio, at Phig Streat III Shuvlin, Old Hoeland, (would we go back there now for sounds, pillings and sense? would we now for annas and annas? would we for fullscore eight and a liretta? for twelve blocks one bob? for four testers one groat? not for a dinar! not for jo!) dictited to of all his little brothron and sweestureens the first riddle of the universe: asking, when is a man not a man?If hiding the "LSD" makes it more cryptic, look at the word after "dope" in this sentence, also from the same section: And did not he, like Arcoforty, farfar off Bissavolo, missbrand her behaveyous with iridescent huecry of down right mean false sop lap sick dope? Tawfulsdreck!It can't be coincidence, because the text is so obviously druggy. Never mind that LSD was only synthesised the same year that Joyce wrote it, and not available on the street. Anyone who's done enough LSD will tell you all about the weird stuff it does to time. Heck, synchronicity and telepathy is totally par-for-the-course on the stuff.

That's why we shouldn't be surprised when Joyce appears to write about John Lennon in the very same bit I've quoted from:why, with his see me see and his my see a corves and his frokerfoskerfuskar layen loves in meeingseeing, he got the charm of his optical life when he found himself (hic sunt lennones!) at pointblank range blinking down the barrel of an irregular revolver (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002UAR/002-5360386-2458403?v=glance&n=5174) of the bulldog (http://frogcircus.org/beatles/yellow_submarine/hey_bulldog) with a purpose pattern, handled by an unknown quarreler who, supposedly, had been told off to shade and shoot shy Shem.If you don't think this describes Lennon's assassination, in spite of the cryptic allusions to his work and the open declaration "Here is Lennon!" then remember that the Eggman from Liverpool was killed a few feet away from his liveried chaffeur by someone named "Mark."Mutt.-- Louee, louee! How wooden I not know it, the intellible greytcloak of Cedric Silkyshag! Cead mealy faulty rices for one dabblin bar. Old grilsy growlsy! He was poached on in that eggtentical spot. Here where the liveries, Monomark. There where the missers moony, Minnikin passe.

Jute.-- Simply because as Taciturn pretells, our wrongstory shortener, he dumptied the wholeborrow of rubbages on to soil here.

Mutt.-- Just how a puddinstone inat the brookcells by a riverpool. It's obvious that Finnegans Wake is a long paen to drug intoxication, and predicts John Lennon's death. Goo Goo goosth. Either that or it's easy to project stuff on material that has an element of nonsense to it. I'm not entirely sure. :D

In all seriousness, though, tangentially connected to Finnegans Wake, and with strict regard to the OP:

The traditional comic drinking song Finnegan's Wake (http://ingeb.org/songs/timfinne.html) contains a cryptic subtext that should be clear to anyone who's been raised a Master Mason. (After what I've written above, your eyes may glaze over, but bear with me.)

"To rise in the world he carried a hod (http://machaut.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/WEBSTER.sh?WORD=hod)." This is an oblique way of saying that he's (literally) a mason. It's also a bit of a sly reference to speculative masonry. (If you are learning about kaballah, "hod" has another meaning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hod_(Kabbalah)).)

Why the apparent resurrection when Tim is splashed with whiskey? "Whiskey (http://www.bartleby.com/61/32/W0123200.html)" is derived from the Irish Gaelic "uisce beatha", "water of life." This'll ring a bell for hermetics.

Kind of cool.

All of Cab Calloway's Minnie the Moocher songs were about a couple of star-crossed junkies, but through the magic of jive they managed to get radio play, feature in cartoons, and generally sail over the heads of the less-than-hip.

Whenever folks in Chinatown start acting gay
There's something in the air that makes them feel that way.
Yeah, man, I heard somebody say
It's Minnie the Moocher's wedding day!
Old Smoky Joe's so happy he can hardly wait,
He's spent a million dollars for his wedding date [...]

They said a hundred thousand hoppies
Went over to China picking poppies,
They're gonna put them all in one bouquet
For Minnie the Moocher's wedding day!Aw, how sweet. ;)

Peter Morris
12-15-2005, 06:17 AM
Snopes on Lucy : http://www.snopes.com/music/hidden/lucysky.htm

John Lennon, while never denying that the song itself was inspired by the countless acid trips he had taken, quickly explained that the title, in fact, had been mere coincidence. It was taken, verbatim, from the name John's four-year-old son Julian had given to a drawing he made at school (shown below), Lennon claimed; Lennon himself had no idea that the title formed the abbreviation LSD until it was pointed out to him by someone else after the album's release.

Peter Morris
12-15-2005, 06:55 AM
How about Les Sucettes, sung by France Gall (http://www.dustygroove.com/prip/5/9/35395i.htm), a successful song in its time.

Original french words here : http://www.paroles.net/texte/22185/artis/1005

translation :
Annie likes lollipops
Aniseed lollipops
Annie's aniseed lollipops
Give to her kisses
An anisette
Taste. When the barley sugar
With the anise flavor
Pours into Annie's throat
She is in paradise

She thought she was singing a cute song about a girl that likes lollipops. She was not very happy when someone explained the double meaning to her.

C K Dexter Haven
12-15-2005, 08:00 AM
[ Moderator ] Leaffan and others: please, you may NOT quote full song lyrics on this Message Board. You may quote a line or two, and provide a link to some site that has copyright permission.

Please see Forum Rules (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=343601), and note post #2.

CalMeacham
12-15-2005, 08:10 AM
Larry Mudd writes:

Anyone who's familiar with the effects of LSD will probably be reminded of them if they attempt to read James Joyce's Finnegans Wake, too-- and you don't have to resort to acrostics to find the "L.S.D." It's right there in Book I:
Quote:
First and Last Only True Account au about the Honorary Mirsu Earwicker, L.S.D. ... The proteiform graph itself is a polyhedron of scripture.

Now, you may argue that at the time Joyce was writing, "L.S.D." was more commonly used as slang for "money," ("pounds, shillings, and pence,") but if so, what are the chances that, in the very same section, a pun linking L.S.D. with psychedelic drugs would be made?

This is a joke, right?

Finnegan's Wake was published in 1939. The first known LSD trip was in 1953, and the name didn't hit the public consciousness until much later.

RealityChuck
12-15-2005, 08:42 AM
I always like to point out the double meanings of the Byrd's Chestnut Mare. Just about everyone thinks it's about a man riding a wild horse, but no one has picked up on the line "She'll be just like a wife." (In what way?) Then, going back, you'll find:

I take this chance and I jump up on her
Damned if I don’t land right on top of her
Well she takes off, runnin’ up on to that ridge
Higher than I’ve ever been before

Later she's spooked by "a sidewinder, all coiled and ready to strike" and "jumps off the edge." The two of them are flying. They land with a splash. That's when he loses his hold. But "he's going to ride her again some day."

Tell me that's really about a horse.

Kalhoun
12-15-2005, 08:48 AM
Mick Jagger...ya gotta love this guy:

"Once upon a time I was your little rooster / But now I'm just one of your
cocks."

Hmmm....for the life of me I can't figure out what he means!

circus electrique
12-15-2005, 09:01 AM
Anyone who's familiar with the effects of LSD will probably be reminded of them if they attempt to read James Joyce's Finnegans Wake, too-- and you don't have to resort to acrostics to find the "L.S.D." It's right there in Book I (http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:Xo3axCnePXUJ:eldar.cz/myf/txt/joyce_-_finnegans_wake_v1.0.txt):Now, you may argue that at the time Joyce was writing, "L.S.D." was more commonly used as slang for "money," ("pounds, shillings, and pence,")... [etc.]
Larry Mudd, your being a smart ass proves little more than your ability to be a smart ass. If you've got a decent argument, let's hear it. If you're going to be smart ass, how about you confine it to about a paragraph?

Larry Mudd
12-15-2005, 09:13 AM
This is a joke, right?Can't slip one past you. It was the bit about LSD doing weird stuff with time, right? ;)Finnegan's Wake was published in 1939. The first known LSD trip was in 1953, and the name didn't hit the public consciousness until much later."Finnegan's Wake" is an old traditional song. Finnegans Wake (no apostrophe) was published in '39. The first LSD trip was in 1943, and by 1950 pretty much anybody who was interested could lay ahold of some, if they knew that it existed. Al Hubbard had quiet little LSD culture going here in Vancouver for a full decade before he brought the Word to Tim Leary in 1960. So neener-neener. Silly Americans and your Johnny-come-lately acidheads.

"Hey, Uncle Sam, let's go fight the Axis."

"Go away kid, y'bother me. We're eatin' hot-dogs and playin' baseball here."

"Ooh! Ooh! Uncle Sam, I've got some wicked blotter over here! This is far out. You're gonna be trippin'."

"Get outta here with that. We got plenty of Miller. Champagne of Beer."

"I think you'll like this. We're gonna call it 'psychedelic.'"

"Yeah, like that'll catch on. Now scram!"

;)

CalMeacham
12-15-2005, 09:18 AM
The first LSD trip was in 1943, and by 1950 pretty much anybody who was interested could lay ahold of some, if they knew that it existed.

1953 according to my sources, although it was synthesized earlier.

Mr. Blue Sky
12-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Let's not forget "Turning Japanese", to continue the masturbation theme (Or am I the only one doing it? :) ).

VH1 had a show on last year that gave the stories behind certain songs. The author of this song says it's about the confusing feelings of being in love.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
12-15-2005, 09:28 AM
1953 according to my sources, although it was synthesized earlier.
The first acid trip took place the very day it was synthesized, when Dr. Hofmann accidentally dosed himself in the laboratory. This was April 16, 1943, according to Hofmann's book LSD: My Problem Child.

CalMeacham
12-15-2005, 09:34 AM
The first acid trip took place the very day it was synthesized, when Dr. Hofmann accidentally dosed himself in the laboratory. This was April 16, 1943, according to Hofmann's book LSD: My Problem Child.

Hmm -- I just looked up other sources on the 'net, and they agree with the 1943 trip, but still say it was first synthesized in 1938, so it's five years between discovery and trip.

astorian
12-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Joey Levine, who used to sing with the Ohio Express, says practically all of their Sixties bubblegum hits ("Yummy Yummy Yummy," "Chewy Chewy." et al.) were thinly disguised sexual metaphors. He was little more thana kid himself at the time, and his audience was mostly 12 or 13 year old girls, so you couldn't be explicit... but LEvine says food was simply the most convenient metaphor for sex that the Ohio Express could get away with.

astorian
12-15-2005, 09:39 AM
As for Van Halen's "Panama," the song itself is about a vintage car. David Lee ROth says he once read a column by a rock critic who said Van Halen was a lightweight band that never sang about anything but cars and girls... which made Roth think, "Cars? We've NEVER done a song about cars. So, maybe we should write one now."

So, he wrote a song about a car... and filled it with sexual innuendo and double entendres.

Trunk
12-15-2005, 09:50 AM
I don't think that when Robert PLant sings "squeeze my lemon till the juice runs down my leg" that he's actually talking about the citrus fruit.

Oh. . .and, every AC/DC song ever written. They're entire songwriting style is based on it.

"Big Balls" would be the easiest example.

Some balls are held for charity
And some for fancy dress
But when they're held for pleasure,
They're the balls that I like best.

Big Gun, Heatseaker, Hard as a Rock, Beating Around the Bush, etc.

And, YES, I am making a distinction between their double entendre songs, and their single-entendre songs. . .Let Me Put My Love Into You, Cover You In Oil, You Shook Me All Night Long, etc.

ShibbOleth
12-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Next thing I know you guys are going to be telling me that Led Zepplin's "The Lemon Song" is not about citrus fruit.

ShibbOleth
12-15-2005, 09:58 AM
I don't think that when Robert PLant sings "squeeze my lemon till the juice runs down my leg" that he's actually talking about the citrus fruit.

As Og is my witness, this hadn't been posted when I responded. Get outta my brain, Trunk.

johncole
12-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Back to the Beatles.....

Norwegian Wood = Knowing She Would

source: John Lennon in interview

Dung Beetle
12-15-2005, 10:16 AM
Brand New Key, by Melanie

Oh, I've got a brand new pair of roller skates
You've got a brand new key
I think that we should get together and
Try 'em out to see
:dubious:

Larry Mudd
12-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Larry Mudd, your being a smart ass proves little more than your ability to be a smart ass. If you've got a decent argument, let's hear it. If you're going to be smart ass, how about you confine it to about a paragraph?I don't need to prove that I'm a smart-ass -- that's a matter of record.

As for the argument, I apologise for its length, but I think if you'll examine it you'll see that it is a decent argument that the letters "LSD" can appear entirely coincidentally in a work that contains surreal imagery without authorial intent. If "LSD" appears several times in a text that makes frequent references to other intoxicants and altered states of mind, and is in fact much more analogous to a psychedelic experience than "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," and yet the provenance of that text effectively rules out the possibility of of a deliberate reference to the drug, then it may be easier to accept that the L.S.D. in the title of the Beatles song really is just from Julian, with no authorial intent. Yes, it could have been shorter, but my editor knocks off after 1:00am.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people say "Of course it's about drugs... it's weird!" without much to support the argument. I've heard the same assertion about MacArthur Park."Why do you think it's about LSD?"

"Like, MacArthur Park is melting. It's obvious!"

"It appears to be melting, because he's crying in the rain. It's about a serious relationship that's ended."

"But the cake, man! The icing is, like, running down. Things melt when you're on acid, dude."

"It's a metaphor. The cake was sweet and delicate. It was neglected and now it's ruined. The cake stands is a metaphor for a ruined relationship. It's a crap metaphor, but that's what it is. You've listened to the rest of the lyrics and can place it in context, right?"

"Come on! It's about 'cid, man. It's obvious."Wilson Brian Key somehow convinced an entire generation that A Bridge Over Troubled Water is about heroin. Because "silvergirl" is street slang for "syringe." (Overlook that there has never been any record of it being used this way before he made the declaration.) And heroin is comforting, especially when things look bleak. Come on man, it's obvious! :smack:

Re: "The Lemon Song" Plant & Page lifted that from Robert Johnson. You can pretty much count on anything remotely edible mentioned in a blues song to be sexual euphemism. Lemons, jelly-rolls, butter & egg, ham-hocks, whatever.

My favourite blues double-entendre is Junior Wells' She Wants to Sell My Monkey, which is about a guy who's hooked up with a business-minded girl:He used to be hers, but she gave him to me
Why she wants to sell him I just can't see
She wants to sell my monkey
But you know that just won't do

FatBaldGuy
12-15-2005, 12:17 PM
I know Peter, Paul and Mary consistently denied that Puff the Magic Dragon was about marijuana, but I'm not buyin' it.

cher3
12-15-2005, 12:28 PM

First they make him a Knight, now they've made him a nun? Where will it end?

Trunk
12-15-2005, 12:51 PM
First they make him a Knight, now they've made him a nun? Where will it end?
What's funny is that the poster choose to abbreviate "Sir" in the first place. . .not noticing (?) that when he removed the "i" he burden himself with an additional keystroke to put in the "."

Hentor the Barbarian
12-15-2005, 01:25 PM
I've heard rumours that Van Halen's "Panama" is actually "Enema" and that's what Diamond Dave is actually singing......... "Enema......Enema-a-a-a-a-a."

What do you think?I thought I made that up as a song parody way back when I was in high school and it first came out.

Well I'm running a little hot tonight
I can barely see my toes from the heat comin' off
Reach down between my legs and ease the tube out...
Fleet’s flowin’, pressure’s growin’
Right behind me? Best get clear now.
Got the feeling, bowels reelin’
Sphincter’s poppin, ain’t no stoppin’ now

Johanna
12-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Albert Hofmann synthesized LSD in 1938 and put it away for 5 years. When he took it out and looked at it again in 1943, he thinks he must have absorbed it through his fingers and he tripped. Why he didn't trip when he first synthesized it has never been explained.

Here's an example of music double entendre: "Garden in My Room" by Merril Bainbridge. She sings in a sexy kitten voice "There's a garden in room, it has apples sweet and ripe. If you'd like to have a taste I'll let you. Cherries red as they could be, such amazing things to see. Everything is in full bloom in the garden in my room."

ddgryphon
12-15-2005, 02:05 PM
Isn’t most popular song about double entendre?

Bee Gees:
“How Deep Is Your Love?”

Fanny:
“We had four on the floor,
I was ready to clutch
I said, ‘Give me some more.'
He said, ‘You’re too much
For my inclination.’
I didn’t need no time
Or destination.”

Don’t remember who: Song Telephone Man
“Hey baby I’m your telephone man
I can put it in the hallway
I can put in by the door
etc. . .”

Kenny Chesney:
“she thinks my tractor's sexy
it really turns her on
she's always starin' at me
while i'm chuggin' along
she likes the way it's pullin' while we're tillin' up the land
she's even kinda crazy 'bout my farmer's tan
she's the only one who really understands what gets me
she thinks my tractor's sexy”

Led Zepplin:
“Hey hey mama gonna make you move
Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove”

And that’s without trying.

RealityChuck
12-15-2005, 02:08 PM
There's Ruth Brown's classic blues song, "If I Can't Sell It":

If I can't sell it, I'm gonna sit down on it. I ain't gonna give it away.
Now darling if you want it, you're gonna have to buy it. And I mean just what I say.
Now how would you like to find this waitin at home for you every night.
Only been used once or twice but it's still nice and TIGHT!Of course, it's really about a chair, right?

bouv
12-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Well, I was going to say "Afternoon Delgiht," but in retrospect, that is quite clearly a SINGLE entendre, but apparantly people were just too stupid when it came out to realize. :p

Exapno Mapcase
12-15-2005, 02:36 PM
First, Larry Mudd: kudos, and ignore these peasants! :)

Second, is there a rock or blues or r&b or rockabilly or even country & western song that isn't a double entendre if you look at it sniggeringly enough? :dubious:

Tracy Lord
12-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Well, I was going to say "Afternoon Delgiht," but in retrospect, that is quite clearly a SINGLE entendre, but apparantly people were just too stupid when it came out to realize. :p

You mean all the marijuana references? ;)

Anaamika
12-15-2005, 03:20 PM
I know Peter, Paul and Mary consistently denied that Puff the Magic Dragon was about marijuana, but I'm not buyin' it.
First time I'm ever disagreeing with you, FBG! It was about the loss of innocence! Sheesh...read the lyrics, there's nothing in there about smoking except for the title. :mad:

As I say this, there's probably a press release coming out right now with a true confession.

I went off and read the lyrics to "Turning Japanese" and I don't see why Turning Japanese means masturbation or even falling in love...anyone care to explain?

Also, before it comes up, Lewis Carrol was not on LSD when he wrote Alice...LSD hadn't been synthesized yet.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
12-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Albert Hofmann synthesized LSD in 1938 and put it away for 5 years. When he took it out and looked at it again in 1943, he thinks he must have absorbed it through his fingers and he tripped. Why he didn't trip when he first synthesized it has never been explained.
This is correct. Incidentally, Hofmann notes that when that first batch was tested on animals, the subjects were observed to become "restless" for a period afterwards. So the very first acid tripper was a critter.

Back on topic: we can't forget the Who's ode to the accordion, "Squeeze Box."

"It goes in and out and in and out and in and out and..."

Mr. Blue Sky
12-15-2005, 03:30 PM
I went off and read the lyrics to "Turning Japanese" and I don't see why Turning Japanese means masturbation or even falling in love...anyone care to explain?

It's a guy thing. Think facial expression.

Larry Mudd
12-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Also, before it comes up, Lewis Carrol was not on LSD when he wrote Alice...LSD hadn't been synthesized yet.Ah, but Lewis Carroll actually invented it in 1863, and made cryptic statements denying it in the Alice books."I don't believe that pudding ever WAS cooked! In fact, I don't believe that pudding ever WILL be cooked! And yet it was a very clever pudding to invent."

"What did you mean it to be made of?" Alice asked, hoping to cheer him up, for the poor Knight seemed quite low-spirited about it.

"It began with blotting paper," the Knight answered with a groan.

"That wouldn't be very nice, I'm afraid -- "

"Not very nice ALONE," he interrupted, quite eagerly: "but you've no idea what a difference it makes mixing it with other things -- "He let his guard down a bit and made reference to the formula in Dynamics of a Parti-cle:The effect of Differentiation on a Particle is very remarkable, the first differential being frequently of greater value than the original particle, and the second of less enlightenment.

For example, let L = "Leader", S = "Saturday", and then LS = "Leader in the Saturday" (a particle of no assignable value). Differentiating once, we get L.S.D., a function of great value. Similarly it will be found that, by taking the second Differential of an enlightened Particle (i.e., raising it to the Degree D.D.), the enlightenment becomes rapidly less.Of course it's no coincidence that Humpty Dumpty, Alice, and Carroll are referenced on nearly every page of Finnegans Wake, as well.

Here Comes Everybody! ;)

lissener
12-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Finnegans Wake is spelled without an apostrophe.
Apropos of exactly nothing, I am actually one of the few people who has actually read Finnegans Wake cover to cover. (I named my reading group's mailing list "Here Comes Everbody.")

batsto
12-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Aerosmith's "Big Ten Inch Record"? I don't think it's entirely about a record.

FatBaldGuy
12-15-2005, 09:02 PM
First time I'm ever disagreeing with you, FBG! It was about the loss of innocence! Sheesh...read the lyrics, there's nothing in there about smoking except for the title. :mad: Well, it's possible I may be wrong. I have been wrong before, and in fact I frequently am wrong. Even Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/puff.htm) says I am wrong.

It just seemed like too much of a coincidence that the song would be about Puff the Magic Dragon, with his friend little Jackie Paper. And the bit about "Painted wings and giant rings give way to other toys" meaning that Jackie went on to harder drugs.

In my defense, I am not the only one to have thought this.

Anaamika, I bow to your superior wisdom.

C K Dexter Haven
12-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Larry Mudd, your being a smart ass proves little more than your ability to be a smart ass. If you've got a decent argument, let's hear it. If you're going to be smart ass, how about you confine it to about a paragraph?
Circus electrique: I realize that I'm getting to this 12 hours later, but... Personal Insults are NOT permitted in this forum. It is possible to disagree with someone without calling them names. You will kindly refrain from such outbursts in the future. If you feel that you must call someone rude names, go to the Pit.

Frostillicus
12-15-2005, 10:38 PM

I guess that would include Michael Bluth and his neice Maebe when they sang it as a duet at the office Christmas party. :D

Duckster
12-15-2005, 10:52 PM
The Fugs - Boobs a lot

Do you like boobs a lot?
(Yes, I like boobs a lot.)
Boobs a lot, boobs a lot.
(You gotta like boobs a lot.)
Really like boobs a lot.

The Who - Squeeze Box

Mama's got a squeeze box
She wears on her chest
And when Daddy comes home
He never gets no rest

'Cause she's playing all night
And the music's all right
Mama's got a squeeze box
Daddy never sleeps at night

Quint
12-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Look no further than rock and roll's first hit record, Shake Rattle and Roll:
"I'm like a one eyed cat, peepin' in the seafood store,
I'm like a one eyed cat, peepin' in the seafood store,
I can look at you until you don't love me no more!"
That's dirty!

Montanna
12-16-2005, 01:31 AM
Wow. I had completely forgotten about the wonders of lyrics. Thanks to all for refreshing me.

zagloba
12-16-2005, 05:25 AM
The Fugs - Boobs a lot

Do you like boobs a lot?
(Yes, I like boobs a lot.)
Really like boobs a lot.
This seems rather like a single entendre unless you think it refers to a predeliction for the companionship of idiots.

Mangetout
12-16-2005, 06:20 AM
The effect of Differentiation on a Particle is very remarkable, the first differential being frequently of greater value than the original particle, and the second of less enlightenment.

For example, let L = "Leader", S = "Saturday", and then LS = "Leader in the Saturday" (a particle of no assignable value). Differentiating once, we get L.S.D., a function of great value. Similarly it will be found that, by taking the second Differential of an enlightened Particle (i.e., raising it to the Degree D.D.), the enlightenment becomes rapidly less. Isn't this (particularly the remark 'of great value') more likely a reference to the English currency symbols of the time? - Pounds (Ł or L), Shillings (s) and pence (d, from denarius).

Larry Mudd
12-16-2005, 06:41 AM
Did you nod off for a while, there? (Not so's I'd blame you.) :p

Malacandra
12-16-2005, 06:56 AM
There's Ruth Brown's classic blues song, "If I Can't Sell It":

Of course, it's really about a chair, right?

Gosh it's years since I heard that (on the radio of my very first car, as it happens), but that song's a single entendre if I ever heard one! :D

Labdad
12-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Let's not forget "I Like My Chicken Fryin' Size" by the late, great Merle Travis (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE4781CDF49A97620C8852D1599E620D210DF4BF58150234558C0B73844810473FD0DA7C6CCB7E577B479AAB3 26AE590DD9CFE9468DA1&sql=11:yyd9kept7q7v~T1):

I like my chicken frying size,
Hangin' 'round my pen
Young and tender and not too wise
Like some old stewin' hen
Who has seen the lot
Of every rooster that you've got
That's why I like my chicken fryin' size
When I get my skillet hot!

Leaffan
12-16-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm your ice cream man, stop me when I'm passing by.
I'm your ice cream man, stop me when I'm passing by.
All my flavors are guaranteed to satisfy.

Leaffan
12-16-2005, 09:21 AM
I'm layin pipe, all night long
laying pipe,
to satisfy that woman.

David Wilcox

Anaamika
12-16-2005, 09:26 AM
In my defense, I am not the only one to have thought this.
In the process, ruining the innocent memories of my childhood! :p

Anaamika, I bow to your superior wisdom.
Damn right you will.

ddgryphon
12-16-2005, 09:59 AM
I can't believe I forgot this one:

Baby let me bang your box -- Read the lyrics to see that it is indeed double and not single (http://www.platinum-celebs.com/song/110914/baby-let-me-bang-your-box/)

Peter Morris
12-16-2005, 10:39 AM
When you're in love with a beautiful woman it's hard.

gigi
12-16-2005, 04:38 PM
Kenny Chesney:
“she thinks my tractor's sexy
it really turns her on
she's always starin' at me
while i'm chuggin' along
she likes the way it's pullin' while we're tillin' up the land
she's even kinda crazy 'bout my farmer's tan
she's the only one who really understands what gets me
she thinks my tractor's sexy”
Hmm. I don't know. She shows up with fried chicken and jug o' sweet tea. I take this one at face value, unless they are really kinky with the foodstuffs.

Don Draper
12-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Blondie: "I'll give you some head....................and shoulders to cry on..."

And the one-hit wonder "Detachable Penis" from the 1990s band "King Missile" (d'ya THINK that their name might even be a double-entendre?) :

"I told my friends that if my detachable penis pops up somewhere to let me know..."

and

"Having a detachable penis can sometimes be a real pain in the ass..."

Cabbage
12-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Bob Seger:

But oh they love to watch her strut
Oh they do respect her but(t)
They love to watch her strut

aleong
12-16-2005, 09:38 PM
It works the other way too, I suppose.

I've heard that in Bryan Adam's "Run to You", he's not actually singing about cheating on his significant other-- he's actually referring to his guitar.

Ike Witt
12-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Also, before it comes up, Lewis Carrol was not on LSD when he wrote Alice...LSD hadn't been synthesized yet.
Wasn’t he smoking opium?

Johanna
12-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Larry Mudd, you totally rock. :) Thanks for taking my brain on a literary funhouse ride. Just brilliant. Why does Canada have all the luck? What can you do with Robertson Davies?

Johanna ( <--Canadaphile)

In the song "Friction" by Television, Tom Verlaine sings

"... and you complain about my DIC-

tion."

It was such a blatant, even trashy joke that the result he was probably after was women turning to each other to ask "Did he really SAY that?"

It's usual for male rockers to praise their own penises in song, but I found it refreshing to hear a woman singing her feminine charms, that's why I quoted Merril Bainbridge. "Garden in My Room" is one of the sexiest songs ever, but in her other sexy song when she sings "When I kiss your mouth I wanna taste it," that's entirely single entendre.

Attack from the 3rd dimension
04-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Jackson Browne's "Rosie" - It takes a second, but then you realize that it's about masturbation.

Rosie, you're alright.
(You wear my ring.)
When you hold me tight.
(Baby that's my thing.)

A friend of mine told me that there was this song, a commonly heard song on the radio in the 80's that was clearly about masturbation, and he remembered it had some lyric about wearing a ring, but he couldn't remember which song it was. I kept my ears open, but never happened to hear the one.

Finally, 30 years later the mystery is solved. Thank you.

Marley23
04-16-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm glad some good came out of this 2005 thread being bumped by a spammer. ;)

Attack from the 3rd dimension
04-16-2011, 12:40 PM
A friend of mine told me that there was this song, a commonly heard song on the radio in the 80's that was clearly about masturbation, and he remembered it had some lyric about wearing a ring, but he couldn't remember which song it was. I kept my ears open, but never happened to hear the one.

Finally, 30 years later the mystery is solved. Thank you.

25 years, and 5 years as a zombie. Sorry all, I read it off the front page and quoted and posted when I hit the mystery lyric. I didn't realize that this was zombie reanimated by the smell of spam.

Bijou Drains
04-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Genie in a bottle by Christina Aguilera " My body says lets go, but my heart says no. "

digs
04-17-2011, 12:14 AM
"Finnegan's Wake" is an old traditional song.

And twice as cool, certainly twice as toe-tapping, as any other song in this thread.

And, oh yes, twice as toe-tapping as "Finnegans Wake".

glowacks
04-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Look no further than rock and roll's first hit record, Shake Rattle and Roll:
"I'm like a one eyed cat, peepin' in the seafood store,
I'm like a one eyed cat, peepin' in the seafood store,
I can look at you until you don't love me no more!"
That's dirty!

A lot of the old blues songs that crossed over into Rock and Roll were quite dirty or suggestive, with this one being particularly dirty and was rather cleaned up for Bill Haley's version. But this line somehow made it through; did they think it was oblique enough for the censors to not notice once all the other highly suggestive material was excised?

Musicat
04-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Georgia. Is it about a state or a girl?

Arrendajo
04-17-2011, 05:54 PM
From the song Top Dead Center, about the local scooter club (aka TDC):

Holly likes to ride with TDC
and she comes as fast as she can
A 4-stroke engine doesn't suit her needs
So she's looking for a 2-stroke man

Clever, no? © 2011 by me.

MacCat
04-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Also, before it comes up, Lewis Carrol was not on LSD when he wrote Alice...LSD hadn't been synthesized yet.Shrooms...

Johnny Q
04-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Keep On Churnin' by Wynonie Harris

Keep on churnin' til the butter comes
Keep on churnin' til the butter comes
Keep on churnin' let the butter pour
Wipe off the paddle and churn some more

Sam A. Robrin
04-18-2011, 12:47 AM
As Og is my witness, this hadn't been posted when I responded. Get outta my brain, Trunk.

"Anyone who's done enough LSD will tell you all about the weird stuff it does to time." --Harry Mudd

PlainJain
04-18-2011, 01:09 AM
Also timely is that this bit in the OP:
Has been in the news recently but once again been refuted. (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-14/lennon-s-lucy-in-the-sky-draft-goes-on-sale-telegraph-says.html)

Marc Xenos
04-18-2011, 01:41 AM
What other songs have these "supposed" hidden meanings? Especially ones that managed to escape the puritanical censors?

So far, I haven't found anyone who can actually say just WHAT the lyrics are supposed to be in "Louie, Louie."

But my first thought was "Strokin'" by Clarence Carter. Then again, ain't nothing hidden in his meaning.

In 1967, Nancy Sinatra came out with a song called "Summer Wine." The little south GA town I lived in wouldn't play it. I had to pick it up from a north FL radio station. Summer wine was apparently her body and she was a hooker. Another one was Ladybird: "Lightning flashed across the sky, the night he taught me how to fly. The sun came up and then I found, too soon he let his lady down..."

Jim Morrison (the Doors), though, was a master of the metaphor for sex. "Enclose me in your gentle rain..." from the Crystal Ship. Or how about...
"Let me sleep all night in your soul kitchen;
Warm my mind near your gentle stove.
Turn me out and I'll wander, baby,
Stumblin' in the neon groves ..."

scootergirl
04-18-2011, 02:54 AM
From the song Top Dead Center, about the local scooter club (aka TDC):

Holly likes to ride with TDC
and she comes as fast as she can
A 4-stroke engine doesn't suit her needs
So she's looking for a 2-stroke man

Clever, no? © 2011 by me.

Yes clever indeed. One of my favorites. ;) "'Cause chicks dig 'em!"

Marc Xenos
04-18-2011, 03:21 AM
But she never lost her head
Even when she was givin' head
She said, Hey Babe,
Take a walk on the wild side...
~ Lou Reed, 1972

Not a hidden meaning, though.

Mixolydian
04-18-2011, 10:11 AM

Rosie, you're alright.
(You wear my ring.)
When you hold me tight.
(Baby that's my thing.)

I've mentioned this before, but Jackson Browne's "Redneck Friend" is equally, if not more deceptive:

Honey you shake and I'll rattle and we'll roll on down the line
And see if we can't get in touch with a very close friend of mine
But let me clue you in, it ain't like him
To argue or pretend
Honey let me introduce you to my redneck friend

Nunzio Tavulari
04-19-2011, 03:07 AM
The Pretty Things released a song called L.S.D. in 1966. They swore that they were referring to pounds, shillings, and pence.

mac_bolan00
04-19-2011, 06:30 AM
[wrong post.]

whitewall21
04-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Just playing some solitaire-harmony (http://www.gameduell.com/solitaire-harmony.html) and listening to Against Me! - I was a teenage Anarchist and wondering if there's a double meaning because Gabel sings "the revolution was a lie". Maybe it's not about anarchy and revolution and just a song about teens who think they could change the world by believing in anarchy...

KinkiNipponTourist
04-19-2011, 06:55 AM
I heard in high school that the little baby in The Talking Heads' "Stay Up All Night" isn't juuust a baby...

Dung Beetle
04-19-2011, 08:41 AM
"Sister, sister, he's just a plaything..." Ewwwwwwwwww.

Nars Glinley
04-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Also timely is that this bit in the OP:
Has been in the news recently but once again been refuted. (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-14/lennon-s-lucy-in-the-sky-draft-goes-on-sale-telegraph-says.html)

It just says that Lennon always disputed it and that a woman named Lucy claimed to have been the inspiration for it. Both of these are old claims (obviously wrt John) so I wouldn't characterize them as "again been refuted." Sir Paul said in 2004 that it was "pretty obvious" that the song was about LSD. I don't think that he would have contradicted Lennon unless he was confident in his statement.