PDA

View Full Version : American Idol-- 1/31. My birthday edition!

Biggirl
01-31-2006, 11:04 AM
Liked 21 so much, I decided to come around once more to it. This time I'll do it trying to remember names of auditioners going to Hollywood.

At least we can remember the good ones, right?
Paris, Kelly and, um. . .

Yeah, with age comes forgetfulness.

gigi
01-31-2006, 12:09 PM
So, which contestant do you want to sing you "Happy Birthday"?

Biggirl
01-31-2006, 12:17 PM
So, which contestant do you want to sing you "Happy Birthday"?
Why Bullethead, of course!

Walter Windchill
01-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Happy Birthday, Beege.

I'm really ready to move on with this competition, but there's supposed to be someone jaw-droppingly good in Vegas, so I'm curious enough about that to tune in.

Liberal
01-31-2006, 12:43 PM
Liked 21 so much, I decided to come around once more to it. This time I'll do it trying to remember names of auditioners going to Hollywood.

At least we can remember the good ones, right?
Paris, Kelly and, um. . .

Yeah, with age comes forgetfulness.Ryan as good a male country voice as I've heard. And Chris Daughtry a fine old-school rock 'n' roll singer.

Happy birthday, Biggirl! :)

Biggirl
01-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Thanks Lib and Walter for the birthday wishes.

pFd
01-31-2006, 03:15 PM
From one who watches these threads from afar, Happy B-Day Biggirl!!

Oh ya, I am interested in the "best contestant evah" from Vegas thing as well.

Liberal
01-31-2006, 04:01 PM
For the alleged contestant to be better than Paris, he or she would have to descend from Heaven on a cloud attended by a thousand angels, and sing like an Arizona breeze in a Minnessota winter.

rockle
01-31-2006, 04:20 PM
On your birthday, Biggirl, just remember that as long as you don't look like Mikayla Gordon, you already look fabulous. :D I'll have a drink for you while I'm watching tonight.

Oh, and remember guys: POTUS is speaking tonight, so it's only an hour long. Schedule accordingly.

yellowval
01-31-2006, 04:40 PM
Happy birthday! That's all I really have to say for now. It's been a long day.

Walter Windchill
01-31-2006, 05:34 PM
For the alleged contestant to be better than Paris, he or she would have to descend from Heaven on a cloud attended by a thousand angels, and sing like an Arizona breeze in a Minnessota winter.

I agree with that. Nice figure of speech.

Biggirl
01-31-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks again everyone. My hubby asked me where I wanted to go eat for my birthday and I said, "But tonight is American Idol!" We are going to Vegas for our vacation this year but I swear it has nothing to do with this TV show."

I hate this guy. Take him off already.

Susie Derkins
01-31-2006, 07:04 PM
Did Paula say he was from "Fakersfield"?

BabaBooey
01-31-2006, 07:04 PM
He's crying? That wasn't a joke?

Biggirl
01-31-2006, 07:05 PM
He's crying? That wasn't a joke?
My thoughts EXACTLY. People are sure. . . complex? Layered? Deep? Crazy?

Biggirl
01-31-2006, 07:09 PM
I hate it when they don't sing the freakin' note!

Dung Beetle
01-31-2006, 07:11 PM
Color me unimpressed with the belly dancer.

rockle
01-31-2006, 07:16 PM
Color me unimpressed with the belly dancer.
I almost didn't recognize that song. And I don't think I mean that in a good way.

Dung Beetle
01-31-2006, 07:20 PM
I can't understand why Paula would say no to "Redneck Woman". That girl is good!

rockle
01-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Heh. Ryan Hart ("El Screamador") isn't a "family guy" - Sunday nights on Fox! Heheheheheheh.

And Heather Ward could be the new Vonzell. Or, at least, she could make me like Gretchen Wilson songs.

Susie Derkins
01-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Noooo! I liked Pepe!

rockle
01-31-2006, 07:25 PM
Noooo! I liked Pepe!
Pepe was cute - and surprisingly self-aware. I liked him a lot. Who are all these crazy people? I don't remember ... OH! Crazy Eye! I actually do remember him. Haircut's tragic, though.

Diogenes the Cynic
01-31-2006, 07:25 PM
I though Pepe was ah'ite. I also think he handled his rejection pretty well.

Biggirl
01-31-2006, 07:27 PM
They fooled me with the backstory!

Dung Beetle
01-31-2006, 07:32 PM
They fooled me with the backstory!
Yeah, me too! Dang, I wanted that great big guy to blow them all away with his beautiful voice. Disappointing.

KarlGrenze
01-31-2006, 07:34 PM
I thought that they passed the auditions, since they did a background story...

rockle
01-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Oooooo ... I like the Cranberries, but they did not do a very good job. They're still worlds better than Elizabeth Pha (http://www.tvrules.net/images/ai4/elizabeth_mid.jpg), though. Plus, they don't look like two-dollar hookers, which is an improvement over many contestants this time.

rockle
01-31-2006, 07:43 PM
Flag Guy is not even singing yet and he already freaks me the fark out.

Diogenes the Cynic
01-31-2006, 07:44 PM
The dream is dead, dude.

rockle
01-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Flag Guy is not even singing yet and he already freaks me the fark out.
I believe I may have spoken too soon. But ... did you see Paula's face? P-r-i-c-e-l-e-s-s. Totally priceless.

Diogenes the Cynic
01-31-2006, 07:46 PM
This is what Aretha Franklin WOULD sound like if Aretha sucked ass.

Susie Derkins
01-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Wow. Princess and Aretha? Close your eyes and you can't tell them apart, man.

rockle
01-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Oh, Princess, Princess, Princess. Prin-cess! Shut! Up! Just ... be perfectly silent. OK? Please?

rockle
01-31-2006, 07:48 PM
This is what Aretha Franklin WOULD sound like if Aretha sucked ass.
Snerk. I love you, Dio.

Biggirl
01-31-2006, 07:50 PM
I love that new version.

I should have changed that fucking lock, you should have shoved the fucking keys!

Dung Beetle
01-31-2006, 07:51 PM
I like the looks of that gray-haired boy. Hope he's good!

rockle
01-31-2006, 07:52 PM
I love that new version.

I should have changed that fucking lock, you should have shoved the fucking keys!
I am inherently suspicious of any woman who does not know all the words to that song. It's preprogrammed in our DNA, isn't it? ... God, I love the montages! I want to audition for this show just so I can be included in one of those "Parade of Suck" clipreels.

Biggirl
01-31-2006, 07:56 PM
It's Joe Cocker!

rockle
01-31-2006, 07:57 PM
I like the looks of that gray-haired boy. Hope he's good!
He is good. I wholeheartedly approve of his choice of songs, too, not that he needs my approval. Pickhimpickhimpickhim! Don't be an ass, Simon!

Diogenes the Cynic
01-31-2006, 07:57 PM
I totally did not expect this guy to be able to sing but he's damn good. Simon's being a dick.

rockle
01-31-2006, 07:58 PM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I like him a lot. Go, Graystoke!

rockle
01-31-2006, 08:00 PM
Wait ... where was this person who was supposed to be the Best. Audition. Ever? Did I miss it or something? Or were they being "ironic" and I missed it?

Biggirl
01-31-2006, 08:01 PM
We still have tomorrow in Vegas, right? 'Cuz I missed the greatest ever too.

Lama Pacos
01-31-2006, 08:02 PM
An hour? Buh?

Walter Windchill
01-31-2006, 08:05 PM
the grey haired guy (http://www.taylorhicks.com/)

So who was the one from Las Vegas that Simon thought was the cream of the competition?

Biggirl
01-31-2006, 08:06 PM
An hour? Buh?
Yeah. This president has a lot to answer for.

Lama Pacos
01-31-2006, 08:09 PM
Goddamn it! If we have to miss a whole extra hour of good old all-American screeching, why, the terrorists have already won!

Queen Tonya
01-31-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm late, but it can't be too late to serenade our Birthday Diva can it?

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthdaaaaaaaaaaaaay dearest Biggirl
Happy Birthday to you!! :D

The middle-eastern spitcurl was cute, I wasn't getting her voice as anything resembling good, but she's, y'know, petite and exotic and cute, which is sometimes all it takes.

Handcuff girl doing Redneck Woman? Honestly, I couldn't even tell for most of the song what she was doing, is it just one of those monotone type songs? It was like she didn't move more than one note up or down for 42 measures, what was that? Could Randy be any more shocked, shocked at a black girl singing country?

Awww, Pepe the gondolier coulda been a contendah.

Did that guy say 75 pets? F'real?!

The Cranberry Twins woulda got a pass from me, I'm just so happy to hear anyone even acknowledge harmony exists, I adore them for trying. Bless their cute li'l hearts.

I'm very very happy that our Salt-n-pepa guy is going thru! He's running a real risk of being very good at one specific non-pop thing and could wind up being as flexible as John Stevens, but I like his voice and his hair and those dreamy dreamy eyes....swoon.

Do you think they at least give these poor kids a kareoke follow-the-bouncing-ball screen for the montages?

Queen Tonya
01-31-2006, 08:27 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you Walter Windchill!!

Swooneriffic! (http://www.taylorhicks.com/Taylor.promo%20shot.jpg)

LilyoftheValley
01-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Wow, I really liked Grey's voice. Totally surprised.

Now, at risk of being accused of "you think they all look alike" -- did anyone else think that Miss Handcuff's face looked like BabyV? Something about her features...

rockle
01-31-2006, 08:58 PM
Handcuff girl doing Redneck Woman? Honestly, I couldn't even tell for most of the song what she was doing, is it just one of those monotone type songs? It was like she didn't move more than one note up or down for 42 measures, what was that? Could Randy be any more shocked, shocked at a black girl singing country?
I think it was more the "redneck" part than the country part that caused him some concern. From what I understand, Cowboy Troy and the "gendre" of music called "hick-hop" is still something of a novelty.

vivalostwages
01-31-2006, 11:18 PM
Aside from the Alabama gray-haired guy at the end and the cute belly dancing girl at the beginning, I didn't see a whole lot of talent in this segment. Vegas was a bust, for the most part.
I hope the next few auditions are better.

Shayna
01-31-2006, 11:44 PM
Swooneriffic! (http://www.taylorhicks.com/Taylor.promo%20shot.jpg)
He kindof looks like George Clooney in that picture.

He's got 3 original songs available for download here (http://www.wbhm.org/Tapestry/bands/TaylorHicks.html). He's really good!

Otherwise tonight's show totally brought the boring suck.

Liberal
02-01-2006, 03:12 AM
Very appropriate that this show aired last night. If you're gonna waste an evening broadcast crap, you might as well waste the whole evening State of the Union and all. Worst. Idol. Ever. And how did Mecca make it through? Who can say whether she is capable of carrying the ACTUAL tune? Horrible. I reckon the talent pool was so bad that they started grading on a curve.

gigi
02-01-2006, 08:40 AM
I loved Simon's reactions to everything (particularly to Aretha), and that Paula had some cutting comments herself ("There were some sweet parts, like when she got quiet"). I guess those were both for Aretha, so maybe she rubbed them wrong not just with her singing but her attitude.

I felt bad for Flagboy even though he added a new hideousness to "God Bless the USA". "If they change their minds they can call me". Aww.

Judith Prietht
02-01-2006, 08:57 AM
How could Vegas suck so much? What did Ryan burble at the end? Only 11 people got through to Hollywood, or something?

That American flag shirt was hideous, but the guy wasn't that bad for something like Open Mic Night Idol. I think I can safely say we've seen worse.

Poor Pepe.

yellowval
02-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Apart from the George Clooney look-alike at the end, last night's show really blew. He was the only one I actually enjoyed listening to.
I did enjoy seeing the psychic from last year, too, I guess. Listening to her coach her sister was hilarious. She also made me have my own psychic moment. I hadn't thought about this girl in a year, yet at the start of the show when the judges were walking into the venue, I saw a girl who reminded me of her shaking hands with the judges. Then, a few minutes later, there she was. I guess it probably was her shaking their hands, but why not let me think that I had a psychic moment?

Mama Tiger
02-01-2006, 09:54 AM
That was her, yellowval. I turned to Papa T. and said, "That godawful psychic from last year just greeted them coming in the door!" He was playing his computer game and missed it, but he had no regrets.

That really was an awful bunch. Why did they let Spitcurl Girl through? Just that ghastly curl and the star pasted by her left eye would have been enough for me to eliminate her without hearing her sing a single note.

And I hope American Flag guy doesn't realize they were mocking him. Because delusional as he was, he was still sweet and far, far too innocent to be chewed up and spit out by the Evil Empire.

yellowval
02-01-2006, 10:01 AM
So I wasn't the only one who noticed! At the time, I think I must have been blocking out that it could really have been her. My mind told me, "She looks a lot like that psychic from last year."
As far as repeat contestants go: Wouldn't you love if just once, someone who really sucked went away for a couple of years, took voice lessons, came back and kicked ass? I think that would be really fun.

gigi
02-01-2006, 10:41 AM
"I have predictions about season five but I'm just going to keep them to myself."

:rolleyes: Hint: telling others is pretty much the point of being a "psychic".

KSO
02-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Last night was wildly craptacular. The only interesting thing was Simon's comment about Graystoke (hi, rockle!) that there's no way Paula and Randy will let him through to the stage where the public starts voting. I thought Simon was going to trash him for not having the whole package, but then he sort of turned the tables on Paula and Randy and said they're the ones who will not let him through.

I don't know if any of what I just wrote makes any sense.

BabaBooey
02-01-2006, 01:30 PM
As far as repeat contestants go: Wouldn't you love if just once, someone who really sucked went away for a couple of years, took voice lessons, came back and kicked ass? I think that would be really fun.

When Seacrest was narrating about repeat contestants and they had brief clips of about a dozen or so, I'm pretty sure I saw one of them holding the yellow sheet of paper that people making it through get.

Walter Windchill
02-01-2006, 01:50 PM
The link I posted yesterday is changed as of today. It just says "Taylor is persuing a great opportunity. Taylor Hicks is currently offline."

jsc1953
02-01-2006, 05:56 PM
I love that new version.

I originally thought that the singer was just being obscenely creative, but I just realize that she was singing The Dan Band version of 'I Will Survive'.

And speaking of alternate versions -- is there a new incredibly bad version of "Hey Big Spender" out there somewhere?

Walter Windchill
02-01-2006, 06:11 PM
I love Peggy Lee, and I didn't even recognize that song until she got to the chorus. I wish the judges would scold people for not respecting the melody and rhythm of the song, so intent are they off on showing off how many notes they can cram into one syllable.

Taylor and Paris do the runs and stuff, but they know how to do it and respect the song.

Biggirl
02-01-2006, 07:06 PM
If fakers didn't put them on TV, then the wouldn't show up. Also we wouldn't have to watch them.

Biggirl
02-01-2006, 07:09 PM
If fakers didn't put them on TV, then the wouldn't show up. Also we wouldn't have to watch them.
Now, in English:

If they didn't give the fakers so much air time, they wouldn't show up all the time. Also, if they didn't put the fakers on the air, I wouldn't have to watch them.

KSO
02-01-2006, 07:16 PM
That was awesome, Biggirl. I thought I was really, really tired. :p

rockle
02-01-2006, 07:17 PM
At five minutes in, we have the quote of the night:

What is up with Austin, man?
My sentiments exactly, Randy. My sentiments exactly.

Biggirl
02-01-2006, 07:23 PM
I think I like the undertaker's voice the best of the guys so far.

Biggirl
02-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Anybody with a tragic backstory I'm disliking on principle.

Susie Derkins
02-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Hear that woooooooooosh, Paula and Randy?

Biggirl
02-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Did Paula say, "A wonderful tongue?"

KSO
02-01-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm not liking Tank Top Boob Girl.

Susie Derkins
02-01-2006, 07:33 PM
But there's a party in her mouth!

Queen Tonya
02-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Of course we don't like Tank Top Boob Girl, she's a fit model. She's the one percenter that the garment industry ignores the rest of us in favor of. A pox on the her for all the hours we've wasted trying to find a good-fitting pair of jeans!

University Music Major guy, think he was a smoker? One normally doesn't stop to take audible breaths every third word of a song. Granted, he was a-trilling and a-running, albeit in a nice controlled way, but at the expense of sounding like a heavy-breathing 3 am phone caller.

And Paula liked his tone ya big birfday perv! :p

Susie Derkins
02-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Damn, I thought she was saying she was a FOOT model.

BabaBooey
02-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Cocky annoying guy was pretty good.

rockle
02-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Not that I'm really in any position to say anything here, but there are really a lot of ... er, ordinary-looking people in Austin, aren't there? I mean, not a lot of cuties of either gender. Or am I nutso?

Biggirl
02-01-2006, 07:43 PM
This should be stopped right now. Ronny and Tank Boobs could end up hooking up and having babies whose heads are so dense they'll create a black hole and it'll be the end of the universe as we know it.

Biggirl
02-01-2006, 07:50 PM
The Fred Savage lookalike was simply too cute! Simon was right, mothers will adore him!

KSO
02-01-2006, 07:54 PM
I like William and I'm not a mother.

Also, Boob Girl was smarmy the way Constantine was smarmy. I guarantee you she spends a couple of hours a night making love to her bathroom mirror in preparation for making love to the camera. Eeeeewwww.

Susie Derkins
02-01-2006, 07:55 PM
If you pull those pigtails, does her hair roll up?

KSO
02-01-2006, 08:03 PM
The two minute preview of Hell Week (finally!) was better than the last two hours of auditions...

Biggirl
02-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Today I was telling somebody that I like AI because it's not two but three shows all in one. The comedy show that is the auditions, the singing contest at the end and the short backbiting session in the middle.

Someone remind me-- how many make it to the singing competition? And do they know who these are before the first audition airs?

Liberal
02-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Another evening of mediocrity. Unfortunately, the hot dog was the best one. I'm with Simon on this. It was cute the first couple of seasons, but it has become formulaic and predictable. They have the proportions backwards. Show us mainly good singers and a few funny putzes. That keeps the putzes funny.

GraceTX
02-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Well dang! I was hoping to see my minister's daughter since I'd heard she made it through to the Hollywood. She was girl in red at the very end that they showed screaming, jumping up and down with her mom and Ryan Seacrest.

Queen Tonya
02-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Going by memory, there are 32 that make it to the finals, out of the however many (120ish?) they put thru to H'wood. Yes, the final 32 are already picked before the January broadcasts begin.

Anyone else think that Cowboy-hatted Randy Jackson didn't suck? He consistently chose a note on the refrain that made me wince, but at least it was a consistent choice, he wasn't out of tune per se, just not hitting the note I expected there. I rather liked him and would have liked to see him get a shot, alas, the judges heard differently.

Pink-panted braid girl makes me very incredibly glad I have friends. Friends don't let friends dress drunk.

LilyoftheValley
02-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Tonight was a big meh. The only thing that I got out of it was a bizarre growing fondness of Ryan Seacrest. I think I need to go shower. With bleach.

Walter Windchill
02-01-2006, 08:57 PM
The conceited guy picked a great song and did OK with it. Not a homerun, but a solid line-drive single. He'll be the one hittin' on all the gals in Hollywood and eventually dismissed.

Mama Tiger
02-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Damn you, Walter Winchell! :::shakes fist::: I was coming here to make that prediction -- I made it to my hubby as soon as they passed the guy through to Hollywood!

I liked Cowboy-Hatted Randy Jackson's voice, too, except he was sooo scratchy and rough on that high note. But he had an interesting tone to the rest of his singing. I was sorry they turned him down.

Red-Panted Braid Girl was just painful. I really didn't like the way Simon mocked her after she left the room -- making fun of a delusional teenager behind her back on national TV? A low blow, even for Simon. She was one of the really sad ones that I wish they wouldn't show on TV -- not funny, not trashy, just misguided. And homely. And fat. And Simon just cannot leave a fat girl alone, can he?

What was with Over-Tanned Braces Girl*? She was just nasty.

*I use "girl" advisedly, since she looked to be 40 if she was a day. Either she's spent more time in the tanning booth than the over-baked wife on My Name is Earl a couple weeks ago, or she looks way old before her time. That isn't even discussing her voice, which is a subject best left alone.

Dewey Finn
02-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Today I was telling somebody that I like AI because it's not two but three shows all in one. The comedy show that is the auditions, the singing contest at the end and the short backbiting session in the middle.
I'm only in it for the comedy show. Tonight, I was impressed by the funeral director and the "fit model."

And what's with all the guys who sing falsetto or people in weird costumes? Ultimately, they're looking for a person who can sing pop songs well enough that they sell albums.

vivalostwages
02-01-2006, 11:23 PM
I liked the embalmer and the lovey dovey conceited fellow. I was not able to watch the last 10 minutes of the show, but it looked as if there were very few to be had from this crop, either.

Rilchiam
02-02-2006, 02:49 AM
Going by memory, there are 32 that make it to the finals, out of the however many (120ish?) they put thru to H'wood.

That was the first three seasons. Eight semifinalists performed each week, with the two highest vote-getters advancing to the finals. Then a wild card round with a select group of the rejectees, from which the highest vote-getter, and three others, each chosen by a judge, also advance, for a total of twelve finalists. (I didn't watch the first season, but I know there were ten finalists, not twelve; I don't know exactly how the semifinals worked then. Also, they did something really scummy in the third season: told 12 people to come back for the wild card round, then told four of them on live TV that they weren't going on.)

Last season, though, there were only 24 semifinalists: 12 men and 12 women. Two from each group were voted off each week for three weeks, thereby ensuring a gender balance in the final 12. Theories abound as to why. Don't know what they're planning this season. I had thought that last year's setup would cause contestants to burn out faster, but I can't say for sure. At any rate, as someone said late in season 3, "No matter what the order of voting off, there's still going to be the right final 2."

Queen Tonya
02-02-2006, 05:13 AM
Oh, of course, I can't believe I forgot that! :smack:

The whole boys night/girls night thing, wonder if they'll do that again this year?

rockle
02-02-2006, 07:13 AM
What was with Over-Tanned Braces Girl*? She was just nasty.
Obviously she was Tanorexia's Country Cousin. (Whatever that means - it just sounds funny, so I used it here.)

Last season, though, there were only 24 semifinalists: 12 men and 12 women. Two from each group were voted off each week for three weeks, thereby ensuring a gender balance in the final 12. Theories abound as to why. Don't know what they're planning this season. I had thought that last year's setup would cause contestants to burn out faster, but I can't say for sure.
I have no special information beyond what I've seen on the intarweb, but I've heard that they were using this same format again this year in the semifinals. One of the things I've heard (can't find a cite though) is that producers prefer the "sing-off" to a vote-in, because it eliminates the controversy that sometimes surrounds the "judge's choice" contestants (*koff*Carmen (http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/story.cgi?show=89&story=4786&page=4&sort=&limit=all)-the (http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/story.cgi?show=89&story=4786&page=13&sort=&limit=all)-Goat (http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/story.cgi?show=89&story=4955&page=5&sort=&limit=all)-Girl (http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/story.cgi?show=89&story=5040&page=7&sort=&limit=all)*koff*).

Judith Prietht
02-02-2006, 08:42 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the conceited guy was shown crying in the upcoming footage from Hollywood. Taste the schadenfreude, my friends!

yellowval
02-02-2006, 09:08 AM
I think the embalmer could really go far. He has a nice voice, he's good looking, and he has a pleasant personality.

Boob girl reminds me of that model they had a couple of years ago who made it to the semi-finals (I think). You know, the one who opened her mouth really wide while singing Melissa Etheridge. In other words, it won't be long before the real talent blows her out of the water. Oh, and I thought she said she was a foot model at first, too.

Last week, GLAAD was after Simon. Now he's in trouble for saying stuff about fat people. At least that's what Paula said on Entertainment Tonight yesterday. I pretty much think they're just always trying to create some new controversy to make people turn in and see if Simon's really as bad as they say, but YMMV.

Mama Tiger
02-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Simon has been insulting fat people (especially fat girls) since the beginning, though. He understands the marketing that is involved as well as the singing, and fat girls just have a really, really hard time being marketed, the pressures to lose weight are so incredible. I'm amazed that Kelly Clarkson has managed to continue to look like a real person thus far; she must have as strong a personality as she has a voice.

But, of course, I find it hypocritical that Simon never said word one about Ruben's weight. I guess fat guys are easier to market? In any case, it's a really obnoxious double standard, but for all Simon's nastiness about it, he's truly just reflecting the current state of the industry, I fear.

yellowval
02-02-2006, 09:43 AM
This is going to sound bad, but I think it depends on what kind of fat person you are. In all honesty, it looks better on some than it does on others. Ruben, for instance, looks adorable as a big guy. He's big, but clothes still look good on him. The big guy the other night, however, had that droopy kind of look, where the fat kind of oozed all over the place. He also didn't have Ruben's sparkly eyes or charisma.
Same thing for girls. Ol' Tessie May did, indeed, look as though she'd been stuffed into those pants. I mean, she could just as well have pasted a sign on her ass that said, "I'm fat." A girl like Frenchy or Kimberley Clark is bigger, but still looks cute at that size. Maybe it has something to do with knowing how to dress for your size. I just think some fat people are more marketable than others.
Now that I've said that, please don't hurt me. I have absolutely nothing against fat people (not being entirely svelte myself), I'm just looking at it from a record producer's POV.

Mama Tiger
02-02-2006, 09:47 AM
That's quite true, yellowval, and yet Simon still made nasty comments, as I recall, about both Frenchie and Kimberley Clark. He just does not like women who are not very, very thin and curvy. And it's a shame that he's able to look past it with talented men but not talented women.

yellowval
02-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Very true, he is much harder on the women. In some cases, he's way off base, besides. Wasn't is Lisa Lueschner a couple of years back who he gave such a hard time about her weight? That girl wasn't fat at all, dressed nicely, and was cute as could be. Yet all Simon could see was that she needed to lose a few pounds.

Biggirl
02-02-2006, 11:30 AM
I can see why Simon would want the best looking person to win AI as it is his company putting up for the winner. What I don't see is humiliating people (women) in front of millions of Americans.

Although I don't think Simon would have gone into his 'overstuffed sack of potatoes' routine if braid girl had not been so thick-headed when she was told nicely that she could not sing.

Walter Windchill
02-02-2006, 11:37 AM
It's all about ratings. People tune in to see Simon insult deluded people, and they get it.

Dob
02-02-2006, 11:47 AM
I still wonder if these "fat" people have ever watched the show. What are they thinking?

I would love for AI to go back thru the past years and pull out every person who said "I will make it without you", or "One day you will by my albums" and see if any of them actually done well since.

Jurhael
02-02-2006, 06:03 PM
For me, it also depends on the fat person. A couple of big girls got in despite their weight and I don't remember if Simon said anything about their being overweight or not. Even if he did, he couldn't have minded that much since they were let in anyway. He seems to like both Frenchie and Kim, regardless

Besides, you can change image. Missy Elliot was overweight for a time, but she lost some of it. There's plenty of large women who do make it, but I think it's because they have the confidence, ability, charisma, etc to make it. Perhaps even double that of thinner girls.

As for the girl with the braids, I have no sympathy. I'm a chubby myself, but she looked like someone I myself would put "wide load" on her back. She looked downright awful, was overconfident, couldn't sing and got pissed when she was rejected. I feel sorry for some of the overweight people getting ragged on the show, but I think she had it coming because of her attitude. Egh.

Yes, there certainly is a ridiculous double standard though. I myself would talent over a pretty face any day of the week, but that's just me.