PDA

View Full Version : Holy Toledo! I have a scholarship!

Walloon
02-08-2006, 02:03 AM
Tell me about Toledo, Ohio. I may be moving there in August for law school.

some white dude
02-08-2006, 03:52 AM
I grew up in a small town outside of Toledo (or the Buckle of the Rust Belt, as I like to call it). It's probably one of the most over-retailed cities in the US. Really, there's such an overabundance of shopping centers and malls, I wonder how many of the stores manage to stay in business. The best place to shop is probably Franklin Park Mall. I think they changed the name recently, though.

If you're interested in sports, UT (I'm assuming this is where you'll be attending) usually has a pretty good football team. They sometimes crack the Top 25 and are nearly always in contention for the MAC title. In the spring, I'd definitely recommend a Mud Hens game downtown. They're part of the Detroit Tigers' farm system. Follow that up with a dinner down on the docks, which play host to several quality restaurants overlooking the city's skyline, and you've got yourself a pretty nice afternoon/evening.

There are only three things I can name about downtown Toledo that I think are worth visiting:

1. The Toledo Zoo - The Lights Before Christmas are always pretty nice. I'm not sure if it's technically considered downtown, but it's very close.

2. Spaghetti Warehouse - Interesting restaurant just a couple of blocks from the Hens' stadium. It's inside what looks like a pretty old building, but the food is good and the atmosphere is quite charming.

3. 5th/3rd Field...or is just 5/3 Field? - Already mentioned.

I've never been to the Seagate Center, which hosts large concerts and the like. That's also downtown, so that might be worth checking out.

I've also never seen UT's campus, so I can't help you there. I usually drove over to Bowling Green to do my partying.

In short, it's not the greatest city in the world, but it does have its moments. Good luck with law school.

some white dude
02-08-2006, 03:56 AM
In the spring, I'd definitely recommend a Mud Hens game downtown.I guess you won't be there in the spring. Shoulda reviewed the OP. They'll still be playing in August anyway.

Walloon
02-08-2006, 08:17 AM
I will be in law school for three springs.

The Chao Goes Mu
02-08-2006, 09:36 AM
I was born and raised in Toledo and it's really not bad. It's not the best, not the worst. As was mentioned, there's a great zoo, and the museum is very nice. I don't know what you're into but there's the Toledo Symphony, we have a baseball team(Mudhens), hockey(Storm) there are the university sports, and the downtown is being revitalized so there are some nice restaurants and bars down there. Alot of decent concerts come this way and if you like to see budding musicians they'res a lot of venues for that. (Also in Bowling Green to, especially at a place called "Howard's")

There really is plenty to do if you look for it. There's the blues fest, the jazz fest, plus the ethnic festivals every year, Greek, Polish, Irish, & German and maybe a few others I'm forgetting. Every summer around the first of June there is the Old West End festival which occurs in a historic district. It's a lot of fun. Take a drive down to Bowling Green in the fall for the Black Swamp Arts Festival.

One thing, as a student, you may like about Toledo, is that it's not too expensive to live in. Rent is very reasonable and living conditions are decent enough. It's cheap to eat too. Again, I don't know what you are looking for but Toledo has more restaurants per capita than any other city except Las Vegas.

Toledo also has several very nice metroparks if you're into outdoorsy stuff.

If you're the type that likes to keep your finger on the pulse of high culture, and art, take a quick drive up to Ann Arbor, Michigan and schmooz with the U of M gang.

That's all I've got off the top of my head so if you have any questions, fire away.

Congrats on getting into law school!

Gail
02-08-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm grew up in Toledo...well actually Perrysburg. My parents, sister, and brother still live there. So I go there occasionally.

My sister works at Spaghetti warehouse downtown so I eat there everytime I'm in town.

The Toledo Museum of Art is fantastic. (I remember taking art classes there as a child.)

I'm a graduate of UT, although I haven't been on campus in years.

Anyway the urban sprawl in Toledo is getting greater and greater, so there is no lack of shopping and restaurants .

Walloon
02-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the information and suggestions. I'm looking forward to visiting Toledo in March.

Carnac the Magnificent!
02-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the information and suggestions. I'm looking forward to visiting Toledo in March.

Don't know if you're in the sharing mood, but what is your age and current occupation, Walloon? Carnac has long been intrigued by your broad knowledge base, and through his mystical, divine powers, concludes that you are a 33-year-old male reference librarian with a double major in English and philosophy.

Do I win a prize? ;)

romansperson
02-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Toledo is indeed a good town to be a student in, due to the reasonable housing costs and such.

Be sure to visit Tony Packo's. (http://www.tonypackos.com/) Good, cheap Hungarian food. I've heard they are opening a second restaurant near the ball park.

I third the recommendation of a Mud Hens game too. Minor league baseball is great!

And if you drive down to Bowling Green sometime, do visit Howard's (http://www.howardsclubh.com/). It's a local landmark in its own way, too - it's a combo of college bar, biker hangout and music venue all rolled into one.