PDA

View Full Version : I think my dog just ate a frog- will it hurt him?


Sampiro
04-08-2006, 01:05 PM
My dog is a 20 pound very long half-Jack Russell/half-something else mut described by a friend of mine as "the most endearingly stupid little thing I've ever known". He was playing outside on my patio when he made a rush at a bush in the corner, grabbed something out (he's very fast) and swallowed it down before I could make it put him down. There are frogs out there sometimes (little green ones and little brown ones) and he loves to chase them and try to catch them, and I think that's what he swallowed if he indeed swallowed anything.

If he ate a frog will it hurt him? I know that some have poisonous skin but I don't know if those native to Alabama do or if it's a poison that would hurt a dog. There are unfortunately no vet's offices open today.

spingears
04-08-2006, 01:13 PM
My dog is a 20 pound very long half-Jack Russell/half-something else mut described by a friend of mine as "the most endearingly stupid little thing I've ever known". He was playing outside on my patio when he made a rush at a bush in the corner, grabbed something out (he's very fast) and swallowed it down before I could make it put him down. There are frogs out there sometimes (little green ones and little brown ones) and he loves to chase them and try to catch them, and I think that's what he swallowed if he indeed swallowed anything.

If he ate a frog will it hurt him? I know that some have poisonous skin but I don't know if those native to Alabama do or if it's a poison that would hurt a dog. There are unfortunately no vet's offices open today.
CALL YOUR VET.
NOW
If it's an emergency you can't wait, if not, no harm dione.

Sampiro
04-08-2006, 01:27 PM
I found the frog in the bushes. It's dead, so he didn't swallow.

So next question: any suggestions for keeping dogs from eating frogs?

Tapioca Dextrin
04-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Definitely time to call the vet if it's a toad (http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Bufo_americanus.html)

The warty skin contains many glands that produce a poisonous milky fluid, providing these toads with excellent protection from many of their predators. This poison is only harmful if it is swallowed or if it gets in the eyes, but it can make many animals very sick.

Sampiro
04-08-2006, 01:49 PM
I called the vet to be on the safe side (it all happened so fast that I'm not sure if he swallowed anything or not- there's definitely a dead frog outside but he was out there for a while unattended so that could be collateral damage or something). The vet wasn't in but his assistant told me to wait for a couple of hours and then call the emergency number back if he's sick. She said most of the frogs here aren't poisonous and that with most the worst case scenario is they'll foam at the mouth due to the frog's fluids and perhaps vomit and have diarrhea (and if he does this to bring him in just to be safe) but that it almost never is really serious.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I hope he's fine. Currently he's his usual little ultrahyper self and I sure hope he stays that way because I'm silly when it comes to the little idiot. If he starts getting sick I'll definitely take him in (which means big bucks because it's an after hours call).

Sampiro
04-08-2006, 01:56 PM
PS- The assistant also said that if it was a toad or a poisonous frog then Ollie would probaby have dropped it immediately because they have a terrible taste and usually burn the mouth for the same reason as the poison.

Wish me luck in the "two hours to see if he doesn't froth" watch.

AHunter3
04-08-2006, 02:05 PM
I think my dog just ate a frog- will it hurt him?

The dog or the frog?

(Seriously, hope your doggie is OK. Sounds like something ours would do)

enipla
04-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Good on ya Sampiro. When we bring a dog into our life, our ‘pack’ it is up to us to make sure they are safe and well taken care of.

I suspect he will be fine, and will think twice next time.

Colibri
04-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Toads in general are poisonous. The only poisonous frog in the United States is the Pickerel Frog. (http://people.wcsu.edu/pinout/herpetology/rpalustris/pickerelfroglife.html) Although it's not all that toxic, if you put one in a jar with other frogs pretty soon the Pickerel will be the only one left alive - I lesson I learned when collecting frogs as a kid.