PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday, Henry VIII!

twickster
04-21-2006, 09:01 AM
On this date in 1491.

A catalogue of his vices would comprehend many of the worst qualities incident to human nature: violence, cruelty, profusion, rapacity, injustice, obstinancy, arrogance, bigotry, presumption, caprice; but neither was he subject to all these vices in the most extreme degree, nor was he at intervals devoid of vitures. He was sincere, open, gallant, liberal, and cpable at least of a temporary friendship...
Shall we join in a chorus of Greensleeves in his honor?

Kythereia
04-21-2006, 09:02 AM
Hey-nonny-nonny-no, you murderous psychotic nutcase.

(Henry VIII, not twickster. twickster is, as far as I know, not a murderous psychotic nutcase.)

twickster
04-21-2006, 09:06 AM

(Henry VIII, not twickster. twickster is, as far as I know, not a murderous psychotic nutcase.)

I truly appreciate your clarifying that point. ;)

Marlitharn
04-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Hey, I know that guy! He got married to the widow next door.

Draelin
04-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Might not be him. You know, 'round here everyone's a Henry.

Sal Ammoniac
04-21-2006, 10:07 AM
I hope she's got a good head on her shoulders.

Honey
04-21-2006, 10:13 AM

She's been married seven times before.

WOOKINPANUB
04-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Aaaaaaahm 'enry the eighth ahyam, 'enry the eighth ahyamahyam...

twickster
04-21-2006, 11:16 AM
That's what I love about this place -- the sophisticated level of commentary on historic events. :p

PunditLisa
04-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Raising my pewter mug filled with ale:

Long live the King!

Soddy bastard.

Lissa
04-21-2006, 11:31 AM
[Random butting-in]

I'm currently writing a book featuring Henry VIII as one of my characters. He really is a fascinating man, completely selfish and utterly convinced that he was always right, regardless of what anyone else thought. One of his famous quotes is "God and my conscience are perfectly agreed." He seems to have truly believed that if an idea popped into his head, God put it there.

[/random butting-in]

Clothahump
04-21-2006, 11:38 AM
I am not going to sing *that* song. I'll sing Greensleeves, but not *that* song.

I'm not going to sing it!

::sticks fingers in ears::

LA, LA, LA, I AM NOT GOING TO SING *THAT* SONG!!

Goddammit, Twickster....I'm going to have *that* song stuck in my head all day. You are just evil. :(

twickster
04-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Goddammit, Twickster....I'm going to have *that* song stuck in my head all day. You are just evil. :(

Nuh-uh, not me -- it was Marlitharn!

gabriela
04-21-2006, 12:54 PM

LA, LA, LA, I AM NOT GOING TO SING *THAT* SONG!!

Goddammit, Twickster....I'm going to have *that* song stuck in my head all day. You are just evil.

Excuse me!
Ahem!
Are all y'all with TEN THOUSANDS of posts between you ganging up on my Twickster?

Because, I'll have you know, I may be a newcomer to these boards, but I hold Twickster in respect.
Respect.
Spell it.

twickster
04-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Because, I'll have you know, I may be a newcomer to these boards, but I hold Twickster in respect.
Respect.
Spell it.

Thanks, hon. **wipes away sentimental tear and hides bloody knife behind back**

Kythereia
04-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Excuse me!
Ahem!
Are all y'all with TEN THOUSANDS of posts between you ganging up on my Twickster?

Respect.
Spell it.

I'm not ganging up on him, I promise! I'm sure he'd be a lovely person even if he were a murderous psychotic nutcase...

twickster
04-21-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm not ganging up on him, I promise! I'm sure he'd be a lovely person even if he were a murderous psychotic nutcase...

Uh, she.

But whatever.

Marlitharn
04-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Nuh-uh, not me -- it was Marlitharn!
Oh-ho, throwing me to the wolves, eh? Watch your back; girls as sharp as me are something rare, you know.

:D

Katriona
04-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Uh, she.

But whatever.

She's wonderful, she's marvelous, she's fabulous, she's beautiful, and anyone can understand why...

Faruiza
04-21-2006, 03:09 PM
QEII and Henry VIII share a birthday?!

[Johnny Carson] I did not know that. [/Johnny Carson]

Happy B-day Liz and Hank!

Thudlow Boink
04-21-2006, 03:19 PM
QEII and Henry VIII share a birthday?!But does it really count, if you take into account that whole Julian vs. Gregorian calendar issue?

Kythereia
04-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Uh, she.

But whatever.

:o I'm so sorry!

Can I do anything to make it up? :)

Faruiza
04-21-2006, 03:36 PM
But does it really count, if you take into account that whole Julian vs. Gregorian calendar issue?

I haven't the slightest f'n idea. :D

Giles
04-21-2006, 03:36 PM
QEII and Henry VIII share a birthday?!
According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_VIII_of_England), they do not: Henry VIII was born on June 28, 1491. He became King of England and Wales (which two contries he united) on April 22, 1509 -- so tomorrow is the 497th anniversary of his accession to the throne.

twickster
04-21-2006, 03:38 PM
According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_VIII_of_England), they do not: Henry VIII was born on June 28, 1491. He became King of England and Wales (which two contries he united) on April 22, 1509 -- so tomorrow is the 497th anniversary of his accession to the throne.

:smack:

Shoulda fact-checked my "Page-A-Day Forgotten English" calendar, eh?

Sorry about that.

Esp. considering the whole earworm thing.

CateAyo
04-21-2006, 03:50 PM
[Random butting-in]

I'm currently writing a book featuring Henry VIII as one of my characters. He really is a fascinating man, completely selfish and utterly convinced that he was always right, regardless of what anyone else thought. One of his famous quotes is "God and my conscience are perfectly agreed." He seems to have truly believed that if an idea popped into his head, God put it there.

[/random butting-in]

Hey! Just like Geor.....nah, too easy.