PDA

View Full Version : Major laptop problems...

BabaBooey
04-24-2006, 02:00 PM
My laptop's LCD monitor just stopped backlighting itself. I'm sitting here with several lamps pointed at the monitor just to barely be able to see anything. I'm not sure that it's a hardware problem because the first time it happened earlier today (on campus without tons of light), I coulld slightly make out something that had monitor options listed that I don't recall ever seeing on the control panel. Whatever happened seems to have occured between PC usage as it didn't suddenly go from OK to uberdark. Any ideas?

drachillix
04-24-2006, 02:07 PM
My laptop's LCD monitor just stopped backlighting itself. I'm sitting here with several lamps pointed at the monitor just to barely be able to see anything. I'm not sure that it's a hardware problem because the first time it happened earlier today (on campus without tons of light), I coulld slightly make out something that had monitor options listed that I don't recall ever seeing on the control panel. Whatever happened seems to have occured between PC usage as it didn't suddenly go from OK to uberdark. Any ideas?

Make and model plz

BabaBooey
04-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Make and model plz
Sony VAIO VGN-FS715/W

running windows XP

astro
04-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Sony VAIO VGN-FS715/W

running windows XP

Replacement back-lights run around $ 50 or so if you do it yourself. Sony will chanre you hundreds. You can also use an external monitor (CRT or LCD) if you hook it up to the units VGA out port on the back if portability is not a must have..

CharlotteRuse
04-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Sony VAIO VGN-FS715/W

running windows XP

I had the same problem with my HP laptop. Jiggle/push on the little stem that the laptop lid presses on when you shut it. If you see the backlight return or flicker it may be fixable. It happened to me after a power surge (and no, I wasn't plugged into a surge protector at the time :smack: ) I almost sent it in for repair but the HP tech support guy was actually good. I had to remove the battery and power cord, hold down the F1 key while I plugged the power cord back in and let it start up. The procedure is probably different for a Sony, but it might be fixable if you can find the right sequence. Good luck.

gotpasswords
04-24-2006, 03:06 PM
In addition to the possibility of a failed backlight, you could also have a failed inverter, which is the part that provides power to the backlight, or the ribbon cable that snakes through the laptop's hinge could be damaged.

Whatever the cause, laptop repairs are not for the faint of heart or clumsy of fingers. Separating the backlight from the LCD panel often involves using a utility knife to cut the two apart.

Unfortunately, Sony parts seem to be on the difficult to find side, and epensive when you do find them.

BabaBooey
04-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Replacement back-lights run around $ 50 or so if you do it yourself. Sony will chanre you hundreds. You can also use an external monitor (CRT or LCD) if you hook it up to the units VGA out port on the back if portability is not a must have..

That is what I'm doing now. Sony better not charge me a dime if it's a backlight out because it's less than 2 months old. Is that problem common in that short a time?

LiveOnAPlane
04-24-2006, 03:57 PM
If you purchased it less than 60 days ago and it is not now under warranty, you might want to take a look at this... (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/EW_ViewExtendedWarranty-Detail?CategoryName=Notebooks)

If you purchased your new notebook within the last 60 days and did not purchase an Extended Service Plan, call us today at 877-865-SONY to learn about your options.

Might be worth checking out; I have no idea what the options might be or how much it would cost.