PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problem: No Sound

HeyHomie
05-02-2006, 11:03 AM
STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: I tried the availabe Windows help tutorial, I read through the SDMB GQ Computer Question Sticky, etc.

Anyway, using an E-Machines Somethingorother with Windows 2000, I have no sound at all. I checked the speakers, the cords, etc., and everything seems to be in order. However, when I play an mp3, a music file, etc. I get no sound.

Mrs. HeyHomie thinks she caused the problem. Her description of the events leading up to the problem is: "I was trying to copy my new Alison Krauss CDs into the Real Player so I could listen to them on the computer. Then I started getting all these messages about 'Do you want to update the Real Player' and I clicked 'Yes' and then I followed the instructions and got overwhelmed and gave up, and now there's no sound at all."

Any ideas about how to fix this?

Thanks.

Gymnopithys
05-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Just two months ago I was advised in this GQ thread My computer has turned mute to reinstall the driver. It worked.

By the way, many thanks for the responses to that thread!

Gymnopithys
05-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Sorry the link didn't work. Here it is:
My computer has turned mute

spingears
05-02-2006, 11:56 AM
No Sound. Any ideas about how to fix this?Thanks.
There is a volume control in the SysTray that may have the "Mute" box checked.

Nanoda
05-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Check through the Sound setup in the Control Panel. Often there's an option for "Digital output" that gets set wrong for your soundcard/speaker combo. If it's on, turn it off; if it's off, turn it on. (Make sure to set it back to what it was if that doesn't help).

HeyHomie
05-02-2006, 05:08 PM
I re-installed the driver and the problem is solved. Thanks!