PDA

View Full Version : What's the quickest way to heat cocktail sausages?

Sampiro
05-03-2006, 10:05 AM
I was asked sort of last minute to bring cocktail sausages (Little Smokies specifically) to a get-together that starts 2 hours from now. They're fully cooked and just need to be heated and I'm not doing the grape-jelly/chili thing, just sweet & sour barbecue sauce, but what's the best way to heat them up over the next hour or so without drying them out? Stove, oven, crock-pot, etc?

Sampiro
05-03-2006, 10:07 AM
PS- I don't have access to a microwave at the moment.

Diogenes the Cynic
05-03-2006, 10:09 AM
If you have an hour, warm them up on the stove in a little bit of water and then drain them and dump them into a crockpot with the sauce (pre-heat the crockpot).

Giles
05-03-2006, 10:15 AM
I'd put them in a sauce pan, add enough water to cover them, heat the water to boiling point, then drain them.

UncleBeer
05-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Put 'em in a stainless steel pan. Dump the sauce on them. Cover tightly. Secure to intake manifold of car. Drive to party. Remove pan from under hood. Serve.

sunacres
05-03-2006, 10:27 AM
You shouldn't heat them at all, just let them come up to room temp. Dogs don't like hot food. (They are for the dog, right? You wouldn't feed those things to humans would you?)

Sampiro
05-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks all- I'm doing the saucepan to crockpot method.

Diogenes the Cynic
05-03-2006, 11:10 AM
In case you're not already doing it, I should have told you to put the sauce in the crock pot while it's heating instead of pouring it on cold (or even warm it up in a separate sauce pan). You probably already figured that out, though.

Sampiro
05-03-2006, 11:25 AM
In case you're not already doing it, I should have told you to put the sauce in the crock pot while it's heating instead of pouring it on cold (or even warm it up in a separate sauce pan). You probably already figured that out, though.

Actually I'm afraid I got a tad "creative" and put some seasonings in the sauce when I was heating it. I will still admit that crushed mint (among other things) seemed like a good idea to add to cocktail wienie sauce at the time, but there's a strange and slightly "toothpastey" quality to the end result (though personally I like it, and the Greek seasonings balance it to an extent it).

Paul in Qatar
05-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Hope your party goes well.

whole bean
05-03-2006, 12:49 PM
You shouldn't heat them at all, just let them come up to room temp. Dogs don't like hot food. (They are for the dog, right? You wouldn't feed those things to humans would you?)
you can't go wrong with cocktail weenies. They taste as good as they look, and they come with this delicious red sauce, it looks like ketchup, it tastes like ketchup, but brother, it aint ketchup.

Billdo
05-03-2006, 02:23 PM
My recommendation would be to put them in blankets. That keeps 'em warm.

(Great easy party recipe: Get cocktail franks, and a tube of Pillsbury crescent rolls. Unwrap the crescent rolls, which break into triangles. Split the triangles and wrap up the franks. Follow the cresent roll directions on the tube for how long to bake them. Quick pigs in blankets better than the premade kind.)

Chronos
05-03-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm betting that the quickest method will involve liquid oxygen (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ox1ZFIgMmps&search=technology).

Diogenes the Cynic
05-03-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm betting that the quickest method will involve liquid oxygen (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ox1ZFIgMmps&search=technology).
I'm guessing you watch a lot of Mythbusters.

Chronos
05-03-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm guessing you watch a lot of Mythbusters.Whenever I can... I'm a Doper, ain't I? But sadly, that's not too often, since I don't have a TV.

Why, did they ever do a liquid oxygen BBQ?

Diogenes the Cynic
05-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Whenever I can... I'm a Doper, ain't I? But sadly, that's not too often, since I don't have a TV.

Not that I know of specifically. It just sounded like something they would do. It reminded me a show they did where they were trying to figure out the fastest way to cool a six pack of beer and they tried liquid nitrogen.

gabriela
05-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Whenever I can... I'm a Doper, ain't I? But sadly, that's not too often, since I don't have a TV.

Oh no. No you don't. Let us give George Goble his due.

In 1996, George was the winner of the IgNobel prize for reducing a barbecue to ashes in moments by igniting it with liquid nitrogen.

One of the classic Dave Barry columns was written about this remarkable achievement.

How do you do links on the Dope other than just writing "http://www.danielsen.com/jokes/NuclearPicnic.txt"?

Sorry, newbie here.

gabriela
05-03-2006, 07:20 PM

Oh no. No you don't. Let us give George Goble his due.

In 1996, George was the winner of the IgNobel prize for reducing a barbecue to ashes in moments by igniting it with liquid oxygen. He did so because he was impatient about how long it took to ignite one with any ordinary method.

One of the classic Dave Barry columns was written about this remarkable achievement.

How do you do links on the Dope other than just writing "http://www.danielsen.com/jokes/NuclearPicnic.txt"?

Sorry, newbie here.

Chronos
05-04-2006, 12:49 AM
I was giving Goble his due; the video I linked to was his IgNobel-winning research. But it's not out of the question that Mythbusters might have done something similar. Even though Goble's famous experiment isn't really in dispute, they might have seen it as a good excuse for an explosion.

To make a fancy link, use the url tag. So, for instance,
The Straight Dope
becomes
The Straight Dope (http://www.straightdope.com)

Buck Rogers
05-04-2006, 01:14 AM
I was asked sort of last minute to bring cocktail sausages (Little Smokies specifically) to a get-together that starts 2 hours from now. They're fully cooked and just need to be heated and I'm not doing the grape-jelly/chili thing, just sweet & sour barbecue sauce, but what's the best way to heat them up over the next hour or so without drying them out? Stove, oven, crock-pot, etc?

You have actually asked three questions.

1) Your title is what is the quickest way to heat them.
2) Your description subject body asks what is the best way.
3) You then ask how to heat them without drying them out which I assume is what best implys. However best could imply cost, time, and ease.

Cost wise:
If your stove is gas and your crock pot is electric, the electric could cost about 30% more energy to heat if you have comparable heat transfers. The oven would be the most amount of energy used because you are heating more area.

Moisture wise:
Let's say you want to maintain 50% moisture. If you add water to all three you can achieve this moisture goal.

Time wise:
The stove could probably generate the most intense BTU's in the shortest period of time.

Ease:
The crock pot can be set and walked away from.

Protection from the pet:
The oven would provide the best protection from your cat or dog.

:wally There you have it! A measurable way to assess each of your methods. All you have to do is figure out what it is you want to accomplish! :smack: :D

gabriela
05-04-2006, 04:19 AM
I was giving Goble his due; the video I linked to was his IgNobel-winning research. But it's not out of the question that Mythbusters might have done something similar. Even though Goble's famous experiment isn't really in dispute, they might have seen it as a good excuse for an explosion.

To make a fancy link, use the url tag. So, for instance,
The Straight Dope
becomes
The Straight Dope (http://www.straightdope.com)

Sorry for not giving you your due.

Thanks for the url lesson.

And sorry for the double post; it kept telling me the server wasn't replying because it had timed out... I know, excuses, excuses.