PDA

View Full Version : Misogynist lyrics/songs from the pre-hip-hop era

Jean Poutine
08-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Inspired by a current pit thread, which I was discussing with a friend who was arguing that songs have always had misogynist lyrics, but couldn't come up with any. Of course, pre-1985 or so had to be pretty tame in comparison to some of today's popular music. I decided to do my own search, but after a scan of an old Billboard Hot 100 chart book, all I could come up with (ok, it was a brief search) was "Devil Woman" by Cliff Richard. Very tame in comparison, but still a bit shocking because Cliffy was a former teen idol- unless of course the song was tongue in cheek. I don't recall if he took flak for this song or not, but anyways- what are some other examples?

Crotalus
08-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Rod Stewart's Stay With Me comes to mind.

Cluricaun
08-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Inspired by a current pit thread, which I was discussing with a friend who was arguing that songs have always had misogynist lyrics, but couldn't come up with any. Of course, pre-1985 or so had to be pretty tame in comparison to some of today's popular music. I decided to do my own search, but after a scan of an old Billboard Hot 100 chart book, all I could come up with (ok, it was a brief search) was "Devil Woman" by Cliff Richard. Very tame in comparison, but still a bit shocking because Cliffy was a former teen idol- unless of course the song was tongue in cheek. I don't recall if he took flak for this song or not, but anyways- what are some other examples?

See "The Blues". :D

There's lots of songs in the old blues catalog that can still shock. See Willie Dixon's "Violent Love" for a good example.

Ethilrist
08-23-2006, 09:49 AM
"Cruella Deville," from 101 Dalmatians.

twickster
08-23-2006, 09:51 AM
"Under My Thumb," by the Stones.

h.sapiens
08-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Going back farther, "Wives and Lovers" sung by Jack Jones. I don't know who wrote it.

Southpaw
08-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Going back farther, "Wives and Lovers" sung by Jack Jones. I don't know who wrote it.

I was going to mention this one! I despise this song. BTW it was written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David.

Loopydude
08-23-2006, 10:19 AM
See "The Blues". :D

A genre which directly inspired such paeans to the feminine mystique as "Living Loving Maid".

silenus
08-23-2006, 10:23 AM
"Stupid Girl" - Rolling Stones

Eve
08-23-2006, 10:27 AM
"She wouldn't do what I asked her to
So I socked her on the jaw . . ."

Jean Poutine
08-23-2006, 10:30 AM
I thought it was odd no Stones songs jumped out at me from the Hot 100 book- stupid girl and under my thumb weren't chart hits, that's why. These are two GREAT examples of what I was looking for- they're just plain mean- what did these girls do to make Mick hate them so :rolleyes:

DaddyTimesTwo
08-23-2006, 10:31 AM
The work of Mr Ted Nugent comes to mind. In an interview on "Behind the Music", I think, he was asked if his music advocated violence against women. His answer was something like "I don't advocate violence against women, I perform it."

For instance, the song "Stanglehold":

you ran the night that you left me
you put me in my place
i got you in a stranglehold baby
that night I crushed your face

Lovely and romantic, eh?

saoirse
08-23-2006, 10:48 AM
A friend of mine had an album wiht a Robert Johnson song called "Red Lip My Doodlewang." It wasn't really misogynist, though.

eleanorigby
08-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Beatle's--can't recall the title, but John Lennon sings of "I was mean to my woman, I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved." Getting Better All the Time, I think.

Also, something entitled "Little Girl" or "You'd Better Run" or something like that--again John, singing about chasing the girl down and meting out justice.

They were such nice boys....

Gilber O'Sullivan had a song about bare foot and pregnant, which was not satirical or ironic in the least--but the name (mercifully) escapes me now.

The Mighty Loa
08-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Beatle's--can't recall the title, but John Lennon sings of "I was mean to my woman, I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved." Getting Better All the Time, I think.

Also, something entitled "Little Girl" or "You'd Better Run" or something like that--again John, singing about chasing the girl down and meting out justice.

They were such nice boys....

Gilber O'Sullivan had a song about bare foot and pregnant, which was not satirical or ironic in the least--but the name (mercifully) escapes me now.

It was actually Paul singing lead on Getting Better. I used to be cruel to my woman/I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved/Man I was mean but I'm changing my scene/And I'm doing the best that I can.

John sang Run For Your Life. Better run for your life if you can little girl, hide your head in the sand little girl, catch you with another man, that's the end. Little girl.

There's a great deal of misogynism in country and western songs, spanning the decades. I was listening to the America station on XM one day and I was absolutely appalled by the sheer number of songs that were subtley misogynistic.

Loopydude
08-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Subtly? It's almost a requirement in the genre that a male CW artist write a "bitch done me wrong" song.

Of course, the ladies must themselves write at least one tune about what a cheatin', drinkin', gamblin', cussin', impregnatin' deadbeat your average feller is. Seems only fair.

Ethilrist
08-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Subtly? It's almost a requirement in the genre that a male CW artist write a "bitch done me wrong" song.
Well, that's why when you play a CW song backwards, the dog comes back to life, the guy's truck runs again, and his woman comes back.

Der Trihs
08-23-2006, 12:05 PM
In Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs ( a very funny book btw ), there's a chapter titled "Songs Women Hate", with some of course being misgynist. I recall one with the line "He hits me, and it feels like a kiss".

Glassy
08-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Lots of songs are not so much violently woman-hating as just sort of paternal and contemptuous. Cat Stevens' "Wild World," for instance. Which is just as irritating, IMO.

Loopydude
08-23-2006, 12:20 PM
When you're sixteen going on seventeen...

Talon Karrde
08-23-2006, 12:28 PM
It was actually Paul singing lead on Getting Better. I used to be cruel to my woman/I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved/Man I was mean but I'm changing my scene/And I'm doing the best that I can.
I'm pretty sure John wrote it. Either way, I don't think it's really misogynistic. He's saying his poor treatment of women was a bad thing, but now is improving. And that's another reason that things are getting better.

silenus
08-23-2006, 12:34 PM
I want to be Bobby's girl
I want to be Bobby's girl
That's the most important thing to me...

And if I was Bobby's girl
If I was Bobby's girl
What a faithful, thankful girl I'd be

"Bobby's Girl" - Marci Blaine

<shudder>

Helen's Eidolon
08-23-2006, 12:36 PM
How about 'Bobby's Girl'?

"When people ask of me,
What would you like to be
Now that you're not a kid anymore.
[...]

I want to be Bobby's girl,
That's the most important thing to me.

And if I was Bobby's girl,
If I was Bobby's girl,
What a faithful thankful girl I'd be."

The Mighty Loa
08-23-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm pretty sure John wrote it. Either way, I don't think it's really misogynistic. He's saying his poor treatment of women was a bad thing, but now is improving. And that's another reason that things are getting better.

Actually, Getting Better was primarily a McCartney composition (that is, he brought it in initially), with contributions from John (It can't get no worse came from him). Paul mentions it on the Anthology, I believe. And I agree that it's not misogynsitic, I was just providing the info to Eleanor.

I mean there are songs other than "bitch done me wrong" songs. I wish I could remember examples, but there were a few "love" songs that had me scratching my head...

Jean Poutine
08-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Good call on "Wild World"- more insulting and patronizing than misogynistic- "if you gotta leave, take good care, I hope find a lot of nice things to wear"?? WTF?? :rolleyes:

Hilarity N. Suze
08-23-2006, 01:11 PM
I thought it was odd no Stones songs jumped out at me from the Hot 100 book- stupid girl and under my thumb weren't chart hits, that's why. These are two GREAT examples of what I was looking for- they're just plain mean- what did these girls do to make Mick hate them so :rolleyes:

I am going to jump in here to defend Mick & Co., at least for "Under My Thumb." This is a song that celebrates the capitulation and conquest of an individual who initially snubbed him. It is not sexist in my book because it can be turned around. A female singer could easily switch the pronouns and the song would still work, and I've heard a singer do that. It could also work for a gay relationship, with appropriate pronoun. Therefore it is not inherently sexist, because people of either sex can empathize with the sentiment.

James Taylor's "Whenever I see Your Smiling Face," on the other hand---ugh. "When you give me that pretty little pout it turns me inside out..." AEEEEEIII! That one is sexist. (But NOT misogynist.)

You also have to make allowances for these somebody-done-somebody-wrong songs. There are still a few inherently misogynist songs out there.

saoirse
08-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Actually, Getting Better was primarily a McCartney composition (that is, he brought it in initially), with contributions from John (It can't get no worse came from him). Paul mentions it on the Anthology, I believe. And I agree that it's not misogynsitic, I was just providing the info to Eleanor. [QUOTE]

Nitpick: The line is "It can't get much worse"

[QUOTE]I mean there are songs other than "bitch done me wrong" songs.

Actually no one does a better "bitch done me wrong" song than Bob Dylan.

pinkfreud
08-23-2006, 03:54 PM
"A woman's a two-face, a worrisome thing who'll leave you to sing the blues in the night..."

Rubystreak
08-23-2006, 04:03 PM
What about "I Used to Love Her," by Guns 'n Roses? They say it's a joke song, but Axl Rose was known for knocking his girlfriends around, which makes it even creepier.

freckafree
08-23-2006, 04:12 PM
I've always hated "You Talk too Much," but I just read the lyrics and there's nothing in them that implies that the too-much talker is female.

And let's not forget this gem...

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

A pretty woman makes her husband look small
And very often causes his downfall
As soon as he married her and then she starts
To do the things that will break his heart

But if you make an ugly woman your wife
A-you'll be happy for the rest of your life
An ug-a-ly woman cooks meals on time
And she'll always give you peace of mind

Hmmmm. Now I can't decide if that's misogynist or just sexist.

Loopydude
08-23-2006, 04:14 PM
What about "I Used to Love Her," by Guns 'n Roses? They say it's a joke song, but Axl Rose was known for knocking his girlfriends around, which makes it even creepier.

What's "pre-hip-hop" about G'nR?

Loopydude
08-23-2006, 04:16 PM
A pretty woman makes her husband look small
And very often causes his downfall
As soon as he married her and then she starts
To do the things that will break his heart

Hmmmm. Now I can't decide if that's misogynist or just sexist.

Isn't it rather obviously both? The subtext, clearly, is that a pretty woman will fuck around because she can. An ugly one won't because she can't. Therefore, if able, women will destroy you. If not, they make great servants.

Evil Captor
08-23-2006, 04:41 PM
I am going to jump in here to defend Mick & Co., at least for "Under My Thumb." This is a song that celebrates the capitulation and conquest of an individual who initially snubbed him. It is not sexist in my book because it can be turned around. A female singer could easily switch the pronouns and the song would still work, and I've heard a singer do that. It could also work for a gay relationship, with appropriate pronoun. Therefore it is not inherently sexist, because people of either sex can empathize with the sentiment.

James Taylor's "Whenever I see Your Smiling Face," on the other hand---ugh. "When you give me that pretty little pout it turns me inside out..." AEEEEEIII! That one is sexist. (But NOT misogynist.)

You also have to make allowances for these somebody-done-somebody-wrong songs. There are still a few inherently misogynist songs out there.

You'll have to spell this one out for me. The lyrics you cite are about how much James Taylor likes a woman. How is that sexist?

Evil Captor
08-23-2006, 04:52 PM
I think the Allman Brothers' "Every Hungry Woman" has a strong aspect of sexism to it:

Yeah --- Sad eyed woman
boogie 'til the break of dawn
Yeah --- Long a-bout the break of day --- Yeah
oh--- your man has up and gone---

You got 13 lovely children
No proud father knocking at your door
Yeah--- but every hungry woman
has been in your place before

Yeah --- the doctor keep [or "kept"] calling
woah -- found you'd fall-en
[alternate lyrics: found you bawlin']
Yeah -- you backed him in the corner
oh --- you're doing what you wanna

You got 14 lovely children
No proud father knocking at your door
Yeah--- but every hungry woman
has been in your place before

Seems to be mocking the woman for getting pregnant so much. The absent fathers, presumably one of whom is the vocalist, are not held to account in any way. Really piggish, when you think about it.

Diogenes the Cynic
08-23-2006, 04:53 PM
To be fair, Izzy Stradlin wrote that song and he claimed that it was about a dog he'd once put down (I don't know if I buy that but I don't recall Izzy ever having the same kind of issues with women that Axl has had).

Country music is full of sexism and misogyny. From "Attitude Adjustment" by Hank Williams Jr:

"Now my girl friend slapped me in the face
And I said "Darling, that was your first mistake".
And then she went wild and her eyes turned red.
She started breaking everything and screaming loud
And kicking me and cussing me out
And I gave her a little adjustment on the top of her head.
It was an attitude adjustment, Ah she loves on me all the time.
Just an attitude adjustment, She's got a whole new frame of mind.
She don't nag and I don't beg, We get along and like I said,
Just an attitude adjustment Ah, everything's just fine."

Mary Chapin Carpenter's song, "He Thinks He'll Keep Her" is one that really grates on me with the way it reinforces so many stupid, sexist attitudes (not mention a really horrendous expression). I think it bothers me more when women sing demeaning songs about women than men. For another example of that, see Shelly Fabares' "Johnny Get Angry" (which was also featured in Dave Barry's book).

"Oh, Johnny get angry, Johnny get mad
Give me the biggest lecture I ever had
I want a brave man, I want a cave man
Johnny, show me that you care, really care for me"

I'm glad I wasn't around in the 50's.

well he's back
08-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Diogenes - I think you totally misunderstood Ms. Carpenter's song. Yes, that phrase is stupid - that's why she's mocking it in the song. Here is an excerpt of the lyrics:
"...She packs his suitcase, she sits and waits
With no expression upon her face
When she was thirty-six she met him at their door
She said I'm sorry, I don't love you anymore
Everything runs right on time, years of practice and design
Spit and polish till it shines. He thinks he'll keep her
Everything is so benign, safest place you'll ever find
God forbid you change your mind. He thinks he'll keep her
For fifteen years she had a job and not one raise in pay
Now she's in the typing pool at minimum wage..."

Now, I do agree with you that a woman singing a misogynistic song is truly awful - like Vikki Carr's "It must be him"

freckafree
08-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Isn't it rather obviously both? The subtext, clearly, is that a pretty woman will fuck around because she can. An ugly one won't because she can't. Therefore, if able, women will destroy you. If not, they make great servants.

Good call. I agree with you.

Diogenes the Cynic
08-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Diogenes - I think you totally misunderstood Ms. Carpenter's song. Yes, that phrase is stupid - that's why she's mocking it in the song. Here is an excerpt of the lyrics:
"...She packs his suitcase, she sits and waits
With no expression upon her face
When she was thirty-six she met him at their door
She said I'm sorry, I don't love you anymore
Everything runs right on time, years of practice and design
Spit and polish till it shines. He thinks he'll keep her
Everything is so benign, safest place you'll ever find
God forbid you change your mind. He thinks he'll keep her
For fifteen years she had a job and not one raise in pay
Now she's in the typing pool at minimum wage..."

Now, I do agree with you that a woman singing a misogynistic song is truly awful - like Vikki Carr's "It must be him"
Interesting. I guess I never listened to the lyrics all the way through. I just heard the stuff about how she cooks and cleans and cranks out kids. I thought it was a smarmy ode to being a traditional housewife with a smarmy sexist expression for a chorus. The irony was completely lost on me. Color me whooshed (or just inattentive...that was a "change the station quick" song for me).

Gala Matrix Fire
08-23-2006, 05:41 PM
Isn't there some really creepy stuff from Gary Puckett and the Union Gap?

"...behind the charms of a woman, you hid the secret of your youth..."

Not quite misogynistic, but creepy.

Fast 'n' Bulbous
08-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Frank Zappa's "Bamboozled By Love" (http://www.poemsplace.net/html/59/270424.html)

jayjay
08-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Shelley Fabares - Johnny Get Angry (also by Hal David)

Oh, Johnny get angry, Johnny get mad
Give me the biggest lecture I ever had
I want a brave man, I want a cave man
Johnny, show me that you care, really care for me

Jean Poutine
08-23-2006, 07:02 PM
Ahhh...Gary Puckett. Any truth to the rumor he is John Mark Karr's favorite singer :)

medstar
08-23-2006, 08:59 PM
My contribution is a Todd Rundgren song, We gotta get you a woman, which contains the wonderful line, "She may be stupid, but she sure is fun". I wonder if he's ever publicly apologized for the meanspiritedness of this song.

Hilarity N. Suze
08-23-2006, 10:09 PM
You'll have to spell this one out for me. The lyrics you cite are about how much James Taylor likes a woman. How is that sexist?

All right. Let's say you're a guy. The woman you love sings to you, "When you give me that pretty little pout it turns me inside out -- because I love you." Does this warm the cockles of your heart?

I mean, I can picture a girly-girl type going all warm and liquid at this sentiment. That's why it's sexist. I didn't mean to imply that it was bad. I did mean to imply that I didn't think much of it, even back when I was young and tender and not such a cranky grouch.

As opposed to an equal opportunity love song. Maybe I'll think of one in a minute.

Loopydude
08-23-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm pretty sure that song was written for Taylor's daughter...when she was, like, three.

Ogre
08-23-2006, 11:31 PM
A friend of mine had an album wiht a Robert Johnson song called "Red Lip My Doodlewang." It wasn't really misogynist, though.
Uh, I don't know if you're remembering incorrectly, or if it was a strange misattribution, but I'm pretty sure Robert Johnson (at least not the one I'm thinking of...y'know, "The King of the Delta Blues") never recorded a song by that name.

Loopydude
08-23-2006, 11:46 PM
I know I've heard "doodlewang" before, but ah doo nah theenk eet meens hwatchoo theenk eet meens.

Evil Captor
08-23-2006, 11:52 PM
All right. Let's say you're a guy.

Seems a reasonable hypothesis, for the sake of argument, but I reserve the right to object at any time.

The woman you love sings to you, "When you give me that pretty little pout it turns me inside out -- because I love you." Does this warm the cockles of your heart?

Sure. Means I don't have to buy her anything to get that effect. Cool. She likes me 'cause I'm cute. I'd put my fingers in a strand of hair and twirl it, too, if that would help. The vacant look on my face ... it's all natural!

I mean, I can picture a girly-girl type going all warm and liquid at this sentiment. That's why it's sexist. I didn't mean to imply that it was bad.

Well, I perceived it more as an expression of tender romantic feelings or extreme affection rather than a description of how a woman should behave. It's more like two young lovers goofing around in the throes of young love than anything you need to take seriously.

I did mean to imply that I didn't think much of it, even back when I was young and tender and not such a cranky grouch.

Hey, nobody ever said you were cranky.

As opposed to an equal opportunity love song. Maybe I'll think of one in a minute.

... doesn't quite scan right, but I think I'm on the right track ...

When you give me that knowing look
I feel increased solidarity
Because I respect you
As an equal in the march to glorious sexual egalitarianism and increased understanding with oppressed peoples of all the world
Yes I do!

WhyNot
08-24-2006, 12:00 AM
... doesn't quite scan right, but I think I'm on the right track ...

When you give me that knowing look
I feel increased solidarity
Because I respect you
As an equal in the march to glorious sexual egalitarianism and increased understanding with oppressed peoples of all the world
Yes I do!
<snerk>

<chortle>

BWAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

:D

Hilarity N. Suze
08-24-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that song was written for Taylor's daughter...when she was, like, three.

Never too young to start objectifying them . . .

astorian
08-24-2006, 01:29 AM
Songs don' come more mysogynistic than the Fabulous Thunderbirds' "How Do You Spell Love ( M-O-N-E-Y)", a rant about how women are nothing but greedy whores and leeches who just use men for meal tickets.

devilsknew
08-24-2006, 01:44 AM
Wang Dang Sweet Poontang...

Zoe
08-24-2006, 02:09 AM
I was a teenager in the 1950's, but this romantic lyric from the 1930's (I think) was what I was taught that all men wanted in a woman:

(Excerpts)

"The girl that I marry will have to be as soft and as pink as a nursury.
The girl I call my own will wear satin and laces and smell of cologne.
Her nails will be polished and in her hair she'll wear a gardenia...A doll I can carry, the girl that I marry must be."

It's so sexist --which is admittedly different from what the OP asked for.)

installLSC
08-24-2006, 04:40 AM
The sond Der Trihs is thinking about is "He Hit Me (And It Felt Like a Kiss)" by the Crystals. Bizarrely enough, it was co-written by Carole King.

LateComer
08-24-2006, 09:01 AM
The first thing that came to my mind when opening this thread was AC/DC's "The Jack." Honorable mention to "Dirty Deeds" ("Gotta lady and you want her gone . . .") and Soul Stripper:

And when she had me hollow and naked
That's when she put me down
Pulled out a knife and flashed it before me
Stuck it in and turned it around

eleanorigby
08-24-2006, 10:02 AM
I always thought that Getting Better All the Time was intended as sarcasm--snark in spades.

I thought the guy "doing the best that I can" wasn't really trying.

Re Mary Chapin Carpenter--love that song. It's a savage look at the death of dreams and also a pointed commentary on role expectations. All this from a pop song.

Who sang the one about "really love your peaches, wanna shake your tree?"

Ugh--sexist, but not misogynistic.

I never thought James Taylor was singing to his 3 year old. The rest of the song really doesn't fit with her as the focus, no? I never liked that "pretty lil pout" line either. I liked the PC version posted here, though.... ;)

eleanorigby
08-24-2006, 10:04 AM
I was a teenager in the 1950's, but this romantic lyric from the 1930's (I think) was what I was taught that all men wanted in a woman:

(Excerpts)

Her nails will be polished and in her hair she'll wear a gardenia...A doll I can carry, the girl that I marry must be."

That's from Annie Get Your Gun --beautiful melody. Needs a change in lyrics.

How about songs from Grease? Perhaps not so much openly misogynistic as celebratory of the thuggish behavior for guys (a real pussy wagon etc).

saoirse
08-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Country music is full of sexism and misogyny. From "Attitude Adjustment" by Hank Williams Jr:

I can't imagine where he gets that sexism from:

The way to keep a woman happy
And doin' what's right
Is to love her every morning
And bawl her out at night

saoirse
08-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Who sang the one about "really love your peaches, wanna shake your tree?"

Are you talking about The Clovers (http://leoslyrics.com/listlyrics.php;jsessionid=BD0684DE98EA15670D67F87B90EDE1E0?hid=fJlRfG%2FKG7w%3D)? Probably Steve Miller (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_065.html).

cbawlmer
08-24-2006, 02:57 PM
I don't think it's sexist or misogynist to express physical attraction to a woman. For instance, I'm pleased that my husband likes my peaches and I don't assume that if he says so, it means he thinks I'm stupid or his property or anything like that. I wouldn't assume it unless he actually said it, and then I'd laugh and tell him to get back to washing the dishes.

Loopydude
08-24-2006, 03:08 PM
For instance, I'm pleased that my husband likes my peaches...

Yeah, but if he wants to shake your tree, too, doncha think that kinda crosses the line? And what's this crap about "you're the cutest thing that I ever did see"? THING?? Puh-leez.

I want answers, Mr. Miller, and I want 'em now. :dubious:

Smitty
08-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Papa Loved Mama by Garth Brooks

Papa loved Mama
Mama loved men
Mama's in the graveyard
Papa's in the pen.

well he's back
08-24-2006, 03:44 PM
I don't know whether "She's having my baby" was misogynist or just stupid or sexist. Maybe all of the above. (The song came out before surrogate mothers, so surely he should have sung "She's Having Our Baby")

saoirse
08-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Yeah, but if he wants to shake your tree, too, doncha think that kinda crosses the line? And what's this crap about "you're the cutest thing that I ever did see"? THING?? Puh-leez.

I want answers, Mr. Miller, and I want 'em now. :dubious:

Ahem. If you'll just review my links, you'll see that Mr Miller will not be able to answer your question regarding those lines.

eleanorigby
08-24-2006, 05:18 PM
I don't think it's sexist or misogynist to express physical attraction to a woman. For instance, I'm pleased that my husband likes my peaches and I don't assume that if he says so, it means he thinks I'm stupid or his property or anything like that. I wouldn't assume it unless he actually said it, and then I'd laugh and tell him to get back to washing the dishes.

ugh. I don't have "peaches", I have breasts. If any guy (including my husband) came up to me and told me he loved my peaches and he wanted to shake my tree, he'd probably get a knee in the groin, hard.

YMMV.

:)

It was Steve Miller. How about Ringo Starr, singing away about pedophilia I mean loving that sixeen year old? She's all his....wasn't he like 30 when he sang it? Creepy.

Now I have all these songs in my head and their getting weirder by the minute. I was happy in my mindless acceptance of pop songs. Pooh.

Loopydude
08-24-2006, 05:31 PM
How about Ringo Starr, singing away about pedophilia I mean loving that sixeen year old?

Again, that's another love song to a daughter. Incestuous pedophillia? You be the judge.

phungi
08-24-2006, 06:19 PM
i'm a back door man
men don't know
but the little girls understand

Southpaw
08-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Papa Loved Mama by Garth Brooks

Papa loved Mama
Mama loved men
Mama's in the graveyard
Papa's in the pen.
:confused: If you listen to the whole song, its about how Papa caught Mama sleeping around on him, so he drove his truck into the house and killed her. Not really mysogynist as there's no indication Papa hated all women, just Mama

How about "I Will Follow Him"
I love him! I Love Him! I Love Him!
And where he goes I'll follow! I'll follow! I'll follow!
Or "He Hit Me (and It Felt Like a Kiss)
When I told him I had been untrue
He hit me and it felt like a kiss
He hit me and I knew he loved me
...(lyrics I can't remember)
But he hit me, and I was glad

eleanorigby
08-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Sweet Sixteen is about his daughter?

:dubious:

:confused:

Mister Rik
08-25-2006, 01:45 AM
:confused: If you listen to the whole song, its about how Papa caught Mama sleeping around on him, so he drove his truck into the house and killed her
Actually, in a fit of rage and grief and brokenheartedness, he drove his semi into the motel room where his wife was gettin' jiggy with another man :)

Well the picture in the paper showed the scene real well
Papa's rig was buried in the local motel
Desk clerk said he saw it all real clear
He never hit the brakes, and he was shiftin' gears

I kinda like it when lyrics like this are set to such cheerful music :D

How about Such a Groovy Guy, by 'Weird Al' Yankovic:

Baby are you in the mood for a little romance
Well for starters I could pour some chocolate pudding down your pants
And then attach electrodes to your brain and watch you dance
Now golly, wouldn't that be fun?
Oh and then I might decide to tie you up with dental floss
Make you wear a harness and I'll show you who's the boss
Of course if you refuse well honey it's your loss
I mean I don't do this for just anyone

So how can you say it's all over
So how can you tell me goodbye
Now you tell me that you're leaving me for good
And all I wanna know is WHY?
I mean, after all, I'm really such a groovy guy!

Or Girls Just Wanna Have lunch:

I know how to keep a woman satisfied.
When I whip out my Diner's Card their eyes get so wide.
They're always in the mood for something to munch.
Oh, girls, they wanna have lunch.
Oh, girls just wanna have...

Hometownboy
08-25-2006, 02:56 AM
Here's an obscure one from The Loading Zone, called "Just Can't Please You" from a performance at the Fillmore Auditorium 09/07/1967, currently playing (Aug 22 through Aug 29) on the streaming audio at Wolfgang's Vault (http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/static.aspx?Type=Audio/Radio.htm&LeftNav=Audio/RadioNav.htm)

Hey little boy, what's wrong with you?
I've done everything I know how to do.
I try so hard; you misuse me but I try so hard
Just can't please you

Little boy, I've given you all that you need
I've been a good woman, a good woman indeed
I try so hard; you misuse me but I try so hard
Just can't please you

Sigh. Perhaps she ought to look for fulfillment elsewhere.

(Full disclosure - no personal or financial connection with Wolfgang's Vault, other than as fanboy)

Nava
08-25-2006, 06:50 AM
My contribution is a Todd Rundgren song, We gotta get you a woman, which contains the wonderful line, "She may be stupid, but she sure is fun". I wonder if he's ever publicly apologized for the meanspiritedness of this song.

Once we were asking a guy at the factory where I worked how could he date the receptionist, whose IQ would be below room temperature in Celsius. His answer, "hell, she's dumber'n'the matress, but she ain't a bad fuck an' when I take out the playstation, instead of yelling like others did, she just rolls her eyes and goes visit her Ma"

He doesn't speak a word of English, so I don't think he knew that song... maybe the songwriter knew our receptionist?

saoirse
08-25-2006, 09:35 AM
It was Steve Miller.

As Cecil's article points out, he took it entirely from The Clovers, who are also the people to ask about the "pompatous of love."

eleanorigby
08-25-2006, 09:43 AM
As Cecil's article points out, he took it entirely from The Clovers, who are also the people to ask about the "pompatous of love."

Is that relevant? I was referring the version of the song that I am most familiar with.

Perhaps you need to switch to decaf?

Southpaw
08-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Actually, in a fit of rage and grief and brokenheartedness, he drove his semi into the motel room where his wife was gettin' jiggy with another man :)

Well the picture in the paper showed the scene real well
Papa's rig was buried in the local motel
Desk clerk said he saw it all real clear
He never hit the brakes, and he was shiftin' gears

I kinda like it when lyrics like this are set to such cheerful music :D

:smack: You're right. It's been a while since I've heard the song and I was going by memory.

Spoke
08-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Dead Flowers - Rolling Stones:

Take me down little susie, take me down
I know you think youre the queen of the underground
And you can send me dead flowers every morning
Send me dead flowers by the mail
Send me dead flowers to my wedding
And I wont forget to put roses on your grave

This Ol' Cowboy - Marshall Tucker Band:

If you wrote all the women's names down I know
And let me pick one out
I don't believe there'd be one in the whole bunch
I'd give a hoot about

fishbicycle
08-25-2006, 10:34 AM
How about Ringo Starr, singing away about pedophilia I mean loving that sixeen year old? She's all his....wasn't he like 30 when he sang it? Creepy.Ringo was covering an oldie made popular in 1960 by Johnny Burnette, but written by Richard and Robert Sherman, who wrote songs for Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, among others. How on earth are you reading pedophilia into that song?

eleanorigby
08-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Ringo was covering an oldie made popular in 1960 by Johnny Burnette, but written by Richard and Robert Sherman, who wrote songs for Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, among others. How on earth are you reading pedophilia into that song?

He was 30 something when he sang it--was he supposed to be 16 as well? I thought 17 was the age of consent in UK--thereby adding a nice twist to the Beatle's hit re 17 year old girls....

(pedophilia is a bit of hyperbole, but the fact remains, he was twice the age that he is singing about)

fishbicycle
08-25-2006, 07:07 PM
You know, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Push You Down
08-25-2006, 07:49 PM
ugh. I don't have "peaches", I have breasts. If any guy (including my husband) came up to me and told me he loved my peaches and he wanted to shake my tree, he'd probably get a knee in the groin, hard.

I don't want to pick a fight or anything but... lighten up.

River Hippie
08-25-2006, 08:24 PM
I can't remember which one exactly but Robert Johnson (blues guy from 20s-30s) had a song that included the lyrics:

"Gonna beat my woman 'til I get satisfied."

That's pretty misogynistic, eh?

eleanorigby
08-25-2006, 08:28 PM
I don't want to pick a fight or anything but... lighten up.

It's an opinion. YMMV.

Try an experiment: approach strange women in a bar and say those lines to them. Lemme know how it turns out....

I am intrigued by the whole "pompatus' thing, though.

:)

River Hippie
08-25-2006, 08:48 PM
I can't remember which one exactly but Robert Johnson (blues guy from 20s-30s) had a song that included the lyrics:

"Gonna beat my woman 'til I get satisfied."

That's pretty misogynistic, eh?

" Me And The Devil Blues", btw.

Captain Carrot
08-25-2006, 09:25 PM
I know it's not pre-hip-hop, but I have always hated the song "I Want It That Way". I mean, seriously:
I never want to hear you say
'I want it that way.'

Not exactly misogynistic, maybe, but certainly at least pretty close.

Kilvert's Pagan
08-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Frank Zappa's "Bamboozled By Love" (http://www.poemsplace.net/html/59/270424.html)Well, umm, and boatloads of others. ..
...and thre's always a girl who falls down and twists her ankle... you know how they are: the weaker sex in everything, twisting her ankle on behalf of the little ice cream cone... ...Looking for some rustic coed rump, that he might just wanna pump... maybe I'll just link it (http://www.lyricsdomain.com/6/frank_zappa/honey_dont_you_want_a_man_like_meq.html) There are lots of others. I love most of Zappa's music, but some of the lyrics make me cringe.

Chanteuse
08-25-2006, 11:23 PM

"Now my girl friend slapped me in the face
And I said "Darling, that was your first mistake".
And then she went wild and her eyes turned red.
She started breaking everything and screaming loud
And kicking me and cussing me out
And I gave her a little adjustment on the top of her head.
It was an attitude adjustment, Ah she loves on me all the time.
Just an attitude adjustment, She's got a whole new frame of mind.
She don't nag and I don't beg, We get along and like I said,
Just an attitude adjustment Ah, everything's just fine."

Just to be fair here, the rest of the song goes like this:

"Well, almost...

She called the cops to take me in
And I said "You'll never do it , Friend".
And they just smiled and said "Oh yes we will!".
Now sticks to the head and kicks to the shin
And several bites by Rin Tin Tin
And I couldn't wait to get into that jail.
It was an attitude adjustment, Oh I went along peacefully
Attitude adjustment, They made me clearly see
So my head is black and my legs are blue
And both knee caps are bit clean through
It was an attitude adjustment
Made my whole life look brand new.
YES, SIR. I UNDERSTAND JUST FINE--PERFECTLY!"

Not that I disagree with the fact that a lot of country songs have those themes. Just that I think that this one is a humorous look at Mr. Macho talking big, and then having to admit that he got his in spades!

John Carter of Mars
08-26-2006, 12:51 AM
Throw Another Log on the Fire, by ?Tompall?

Throw another log on the fire
Cook me up some bacon and some beans
Go out to the car and change the tire
Wash my socks and sew my old blue jeans
Fill my pipe and then go fetch my slippers
Boil me up another pot of tea
Then throw another log on the fire, Babe
And come and tell me why you're leavin' me

Now don't I let you wash the car on Sunday
Don't I warn you when you're gettin' fat
Ain't I gonna take you fishin' with me someday
A man can't love a woman more than that
Ain't I always nice to your kid sister
Don't I take her drivin' every night
So come sit here at my feet 'cause I like you when you're sweet
And you know that it ain't feminine to fight

(heh) Top that!

Now, the above song is recognized by anybody with any sense as silly humor. Anybody with any sense would also not be offended by about 95% of the songs mentioned in previous posts. Bobby's Girl is offensive? WTF? It's a silly song about early teenage love, fer heaven's sake!
How come nobody's jumped all over Devil With the Blue Dress or Elvis' Baby Lets Play House yet?

Sweet Sixteen reeks of pedophilia? Fooey! By definition, pedophiles are those who are sexually attracted to pre-pubscent children. Most 16 year-olds don't fit the pre-pubscent qualifier.

Some of y'all need to lighten up and knock back a stiff drink; whatever it takes to help you get a grip on reality.

Guinastasia
08-26-2006, 01:05 AM
Never too young to start objectifying them . . .

I hope this is a whoosh-pouting little kids are cute.

How about Dusty Springfield's "Wishin' and Hopin'?" That's pretty sexist
"Wear your hair just for him...do the things he likes to do"...ugh.

Oh, and for the record, I love Steve Miller. I love that song. It's just a fun, silly song, eleanorigby. It's not meant to be taken seriously.

Lighten up.

Khampelf
08-26-2006, 01:20 AM
"Back Street Girl" by Social Distortion (I have a nagging suspicion it may be Rolling Stones cover) is pretty misogynistic, IMHO. It's all about how this girl should stay in the bad part part of town and wait for whatever time Mr. Big could give her.

Don't you come bother my wife
Just you be my backstreet girl

is the only lyric I clearly remember.

Johanna
08-26-2006, 01:21 AM
God created man from dust
With a soul inside his mould
And God created womankind
The vessel of Satan's hold
—Genesis, "The Serpent"

Lots of people talkin few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
—Led Zeppelin, "Dazed and Confused"

Below what?

BoBettie
08-26-2006, 06:05 PM
John Carter and I are kindred souls- Put Another Log on the Fire is one of my all time favorite songs. Along with "Gonna Hire a Wino". Great old stuff.

Aaaanyway, Neil Young has had his share of lady hatin' over the years.

Down By the River

"It's so hard for me
staying here all alone
When you could be
taking me for a ride.

Yeah, she could drag me
over the rainbow,
send me away
Down by the river
I shot my baby
Down by the river,
Dead, oh, shot her dead."

How about Jimi?

"Hey joe, where you goin' with that gun of your hand
Hey joe, i said where you goin' with that gun in your hand, oh
I'm goin' down to shoot my old lady
You know i caught her messin' 'round with another man
Yeah, i'm goin' down to shoot my old lady
You know i caught her messin' 'round with another man
Huh! and that ain't cool
Huh hey hoe, i heard you shot your mamma down
You shot her down now
Hey joe, i heard you shot your lady down
You shot her down in the groud yeah!
Yeah!
Yes, i did, i shot her
You know i caught her messin' round messin' round town
Huh, yes i did i shot her
You know i caught my old lady messin' 'round town
And i gave her the gun
And i shot her
Alright
Shoot her one more time again baby!"

Tracy Lord
08-26-2006, 09:03 PM

(Excerpts)

As eleanorigby noted, it's from "Annie Get Your Gun", and although the song itself is quite sexist, within the show it's clearly meant ironically. It's sung by Frank Butler, who of course ends up falling hard for un-soft, un-pink, presumably smelly and sweaty Annie Oakley.

parrot recipes
08-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Mr Ted Nugent "I don't advocate violence against women, I perform it." Did he really say that? Good sound bite.

you ran the night that you left me
you put me in my place
i got you in a stranglehold baby
that night I crushed your face

Lovely and romantic, eh?To Sid and Nancy maybe.

parrot recipes
08-26-2006, 09:52 PM
"Stupid Girl" - Rolling StonesWhich Ellen Foley did much better.