PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Delivery: Who pays for gas?

Jinx
09-16-2006, 04:32 PM
If you're a pizza delivery dude/dudette working to earn some pocket change...who pays for the gas you burn making these runs? And, if it is the pizza boy, does s/he really make much of a profit with today's gas prices? - Jinx

hey alright
09-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Usually the pizza boy/girl pays for gas and also uses his/her own car. They usually get paid at least $10 an hour in my small town area. I don't know about how good they do after expenses, which would also include mileage, but I would guess with the small area pizza places usually will only deliver to, the driver can do alright even with a pickup truck.

Boozahol Squid, P.I.
09-16-2006, 06:53 PM
In the family-owned pizza joint I managed right after college, we would pay our delivery drivers 7 bucks and hour and a dollar per delivery, which was marked to pay for gas. Drivers tended to feel like they made out very well (with the tips from delivering to a relatively wealthy area) until gas prices got too far above 2 bucks a gallon.
Some delivery places will not pay a per delivery fee for a driver, but most, IME, do. I have never heard of one that actually pays for gas, as delivery drivers tend to use their own vehicles, and it would be difficult for an owner to determine what gas was being used to delivery Suzy Q's pizza, and hwat gas was used by the driver to go over to Suzy Q's house for dessert. ;)

Jodi
09-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Waaaay back right after the earth cooled and I delivered pizzas, I had to buy my own gas. The pizza place was very clear that gas, maintenance, wear and tear, and even wrecks were all on me.

Balthisar
09-16-2006, 08:08 PM
When I delivered pizzas, I made 20% of the delivery, plus tips. That was it. Gas was mine. Maintenance was mine. The car was mine (people used to say that my 95 Civic was too nice a car to deliver pizzas with). Still, I'd clear $60 after expenses on a good night. Adding that to a soldier's low salary, and it was really good extra cash.

If nothing, it taught me to be a good tipper.

Squink
09-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Waaaay back right after the earth cooled and I delivered pizzas...The pizza joint I worked for supplied cars with installed gas ovens, and paid for gas. I worked for minimum wage + tips. Some of the cars were old enough to sport enormous tail fins.

lissener
09-16-2006, 09:44 PM
When I did it, we paid our own gas, etc. The place I worked hired too many drivers, and we rotated turns delivering. In order to have enough drivers to always have one waiting, ready to go . . . there'd always be at least one (usually more) waiting around. We averaged one delivery per hour.

Jplacer
09-16-2006, 11:44 PM
In the mid-90s, I delivered for Dominos and Little Ceasars. I had to pay for gas and maintence when I used my own car. At the end of the night, I would get 10% of what I delivered at both places plus $1.50 for each delivery at Little Ceasarts. At the time, I think Little Ceasars charged a $2 delivery fee. On some weekends, I would leave work with more than $100 in tips and delivery fees.

The Domino's had a delivery truck. If it was your night to use the truck, the gas money came out of the register and it was all written down.

Meeko
09-17-2006, 08:44 AM
I delivered Pizzas for a resturant that Officially didn't have delivery. I had no money alloted for my gas, and indeed I used my own car. The deliveries, were on top of my other duties of topping/making pizza.

On top of that, I rarely made any tips, including one time, when the bill was $130.01 and I was handed a check for 130.00 :rolleyes:

Then again, I had another time, when my transmission went in the middle of a delivery, and the car would not accelerate at all. (In the valley of two hills). I had to call the Assistant Manager/Boss to come help. He split the tip with me thankfully (I bet he figured I would need it for my car!)

But, yeah, I think its a safe bet to say, in general, the 'owner' of the car pays for the gas of said car. Its easier to just pay the same to all workers, and I guess in a sense, this is how delivery can remain free.

Mister Rik
09-17-2006, 03:05 PM
When I delivered for Godfather's Pizza back in the '80s, I was paid a flat $1.00 per address. This worked out better than getting paid for mileage - we always tried to group closely-clustered deliveries into one car, so if I was delivering to three different apartments in the same complex, that was $3.00, whereas if I was getting paid by mileage, I would have gotten paid for the single trip.

What was really nice was that there was a big motel across the street. Deliveries to their rooms were usually just carried on foot, and I still got the dollar.

The flat dollar per dollar per delivery made it easy at tax time when I wanted to figure out what kind of deduction I could make for wear & tear. By looking at the dollar amount on my W2, I could see exactly how many deliveries I had made. I simply had to multiply that number by a guess at the average mileage per delivery. Much easier than keeping track of mileage all year long. (The delivery "commision" was seperate from my wages on the W2.)