PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded aroma of smoke.....bushfire season is upon us

Cunctator
09-24-2006, 02:09 AM
The first bushfire smoke is always a sign that the warm weather has arrived. It's been a particularly hot day for September (up to 33 or so) and the stiff westerly wind has almost ensured that there'd be fires somewhere. I do hope there isn't too much damage.

Antigen
09-24-2006, 02:36 AM
It really is too bad that brushfires and forest fires can do so much damage, because I like how the wind smells when they're burning.

robinc308
09-24-2006, 03:31 AM
We had our first fires of the season a few days ago. Fortunately, the rains came through... But still - it's waaaay to early for bushfire season.

It's been unseasonally hot and windy.

And the country is as dry as tinder from the worst drought on record (or should that be climate change?).

All in all, I expect we're in for a long summer.

My thoughts and prayers are with the CFA/RFS (country fire authourity & rural fire service) volunteers as they prepare. They are the largest volunteer emergency service in the world and do a bloody amazing job every year. I hope elvis (http://www.airviewonline.com.au/stock-photographs/photodetails.asp?ID=3779) is coming ths year.

Rayne Man
09-24-2006, 05:06 AM
I have just come back from a holiday on the island of Madeira and they are having forest fires there. This is the first time in living memory that this has happened. One cause is that average temperatures are about 5 degrees higher this summer than normal. We stood on one hillside and watched the fires burning away on the adjacent hills, a frightening sight.

For a couple of days the capital, Funchal ,was covered in a smoke haze which did not clear until the wind got up. The locals reckon that it will take years for the vegetation and trees to recover. Meanwhile there are large brown areas on what is normally a very green and lush island.

Civil Guy
09-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Curiously, this is also often a bad time of year for brush fires in the southwest U.S. We don't get all that much rain, and what moisture there is dries up over the summer, and - particularly in Southern California - Fall is when we get the very dry winds blowing from the northeast, from the desert.

So far, not too much damage, knock on fireproofing.