PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I've got Writers Block

MonkeyMule
11-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Oh yeah I got the Block bad this time!

So I've got this (relitively) new job where I have to write a lot. Press Releases, Speaches, Poltical Statements stuff like that.

Anyway, since coming off the 4 day Turkeyday Break I have done NOTHING of value. Its bad. I've been covering my ass saying its "coming along" but in truth I got nothing.

Last time I got blocked, it was for 2 year. ANd since at the time my job didn't depend on it, It was no biggie. Now it is.

So Doppers who write, HELP! How can I shake this funk?
Anything that would kick in in the next 30 minutes would be nice too.

-MM

Aunt Flow
11-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Uhh what are you supposed to be writing about? And I hope you use a spellchecker before submitting anything, given your errors in this post >.>;;

MonkeyMule
11-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Uhh what are you supposed to be writing about? And I hope you use a spellchecker before submitting anything, given your errors in this post >.>;;

Dude I'm the worst spelled in the history of the universe. That is why I god gave us dictionaries =D

That and I'm pepped up on coffee trying for a cafine breakthrough here.

Anyway, press releases reguarding the CityUniversity of NY's New Budget plan, which most nobody knows anything about.

MonkeyMule
11-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Anyway, press releases regarding the CityUniversity of NY's New Budget plan, which most nobody knows anything about.

I stand Corrected (http://www.nysun.com/article/23723)

ITR champion
11-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Sit down at your desk and force yourself to write. Do not allow yourself to move until you have a thousand words finished. It may be crap--if so, you can edit it later--but you will have something tangible to work with. You can look at it and see what the weaknesses are, so you can start mentally analyzing and fixing those weaknesses. And in some cases such 'forced writing' turns out to be surprisingly good.

MonkeyMule
12-04-2006, 02:59 PM
ITR, Very helpful advice. I did manage to grit my way through, and got some decent copy out. Puting the finishing touches on it now. when I goes on the web site I'll link you guy.

Thanks again.

GargoyleWB
12-04-2006, 05:48 PM
"The night was sultry..."

Chance the Gardener
12-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Sit down at your desk and force yourself to write. Do not allow yourself to move until you have a thousand words finished. It may be crap--if so, you can edit it later--but you will have something tangible to work with. You can look at it and see what the weaknesses are, so you can start mentally analyzing and fixing those weaknesses. And in some cases such 'forced writing' turns out to be surprisingly good.

I second this advice. This is the best way to get past writer's block. I refer to it as "blowing the gunk out." I get that term from when my brother was a teenager and he said that revving the engine to my mother's station wagon would "blow out the gunk" that's accumulated in the engine's, um, tubes and pistons and whatnot. It sounds like bull to me, but I like the image. (My brother will turn forty this month and no longer revs his engine for any reason.)

Anyway, ITR champion's advice is excellent, and all writers would do well to heed it, if needed. I do that, too. It never seems like it's going to work, but it always does.

MonkeyMule
12-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Hey guys, I got the press releases done. Feel free to check them out here (http://uss.cuny.edu/) In the press release section.

THanks for the helpfull advice, wish I'd gotten it a few years ago when the gunk totally blocked up the tubes :dubious:

Mayo Speaks!
12-06-2006, 05:20 PM
"The night was sultry..."
"A man was at the door. He was tall. In fact, he was as tall as a 6 foot 3 inch tree."

You take it from here.

Hal Briston
12-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Wow...and 30 seconds ago, I read this (http://www.comics.com/comics/getfuzzy/archive/getfuzzy-20061118.html).