PDA

View Full Version : The Office: 11/30

Oslo Ostragoth
11-30-2006, 11:04 PM
What, no thread? Well, I'll offer that, once again, Creed has the best lines: "I have plenty more (paper clips)", after offering a paper clip chain to the baby and being told that the baby might eat them.

Slacker
11-30-2006, 11:08 PM
I didn't realize those horrible Six Flags ads were nationwide. Pam loves 'em!

/Slacker tunes up the banjo...

Mesquite-oh
11-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Oh my God, they killed off another Stamford- you bastards!

Snooooopy
11-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Oh my God, they killed off another Stamford- you bastards!
He's got to get back to making more Washington Mutual commercials.

SmackFu
11-30-2006, 11:53 PM
I lost it at Prison Mike's Dementors line.

some white dude
11-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Dwight's use of money to bait the former prisoner was hilarious.

I wonder if Michael will eventually drive all of the new employees away.

When is Oscar coming back?

Neidhart
12-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Apollo Creed!!

Nutty Bunny
12-01-2006, 07:16 AM
[QUOTE=Slacker]I didn't realize those horrible Six Flags ads were nationwide. Pam loves 'em!
QUOTE]

I loved the "randomness" of Pam's dislikes. I laughed out loud when he mentioned the Six Flags ad. The end, when Jim turns around and smiles at Pam to let her know it was his idea was so cute.

It was a good episode (especially the above-mentioned paper clip line), but I wanted a little more Dwight. I do love Ed Helms though, so I'm happy seeing him in more scenes.

D_Odds
12-01-2006, 07:22 AM
I didn't realize those horrible Six Flags ads were nationwide. Pam loves 'em!

/Slacker tunes up the banjo...
Can't speak for nationwide, but Scranton would be in the area covered by Six Flags - Great Adventure in NJ. We get them in NY all summer long, also.

corkboard
12-01-2006, 07:35 AM
Can't speak for nationwide, but Scranton would be in the area covered by Six Flags - Great Adventure in NJ. We get them in NY all summer long, also.
But the show broadcasts nationally. Does the rest of the country know about the Six Flags old man?

LateComer
12-01-2006, 08:05 AM
But the show broadcasts nationally. Does the rest of the country know about the Six Flags old man?I live outside of Pittsburgh and I've seen those ads, for what it's worth. I couldn't tell you where the closest Six Flags is, what with Kennywood and all.

jacob wrestling
12-01-2006, 08:46 AM
But the show broadcasts nationally. Does the rest of the country know about the Six Flags old man?Midwesterner here. We definitely know who the Six Flags old man is. I'd be really surprised if those commercials weren't national, considering one of the major "selling points" of Six Flags is that you can get to one within a day's drive from basically anywhere in the country.

I agree that Creed's line was the best of the episode. But, why did that mom have her baby at work all day long? She seems to be quite the self-righteous piece of work. If we're going to slowly lose all the Stamford people, except Andy and Karen, then I vote that she goes next.

The dementors line could have been genius, but it was flubbed when Pam said, "You mean like from Harry Potter?" Would have been so much better left un-expositioned.

I miss Oscar, I want him back.

I was glad to see a glimmer of Jim and Pam's old flame, but what really seemed lost was Jim and Dwight's antagonism. I hope the writers get back to that soon.

Overall, a kind of middle-of-the-road episode. I was expecting more from Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. Then again, I do prefer this version to the UK original. Different strokes.

gigi
12-01-2006, 09:01 AM
The dementors line could have been genius, but it was flubbed when Pam said, "You mean like from Harry Potter?" Would have been so much better left un-expositioned.But the follow-up referring to it being a movie rather than a book was worth it.

Oh, and when Pam smiled so hopefully and sweetly at Jim the first time he looked around at her. Poor girl. And she is crazy-happy when he is back to pranking her.

gigi
12-01-2006, 09:02 AM
I agree that Creed's line was the best of the episode. But, why did that mom have her baby at work all day long? "Oh how cute, may I?" "Sure!" ::hides under the desk to narrate Look Who's Talking

D_Odds
12-01-2006, 09:15 AM
The dementors line could have been genius, but it was flubbed when Pam said, "You mean like from Harry Potter?" Would have been so much better left un-expositioned.That's great, unless someone doesn't get the reference. I had no clue they were from Harry Potter. TV writers can assume that the vast majority of viewers are familiar with HP on generic terms, but can't assume they've all read the books.

Chefguy
12-01-2006, 09:59 AM
But the show broadcasts nationally. Does the rest of the country know about the Six Flags old man?

Not us in the frozen northland. I also had no clue what a "dementor" was, so I'm glad they explained. I thought the ep was a bit over the top with Michael. The writers seem to be reaching too far and might be better off exploring the other characters, letting Michael revert to his ninny self. The Jim/Pam interchange was good, as was Creed's bit. Gotta go look at the deleted scenes now.

jacob wrestling
12-01-2006, 10:22 AM
That's great, unless someone doesn't get the reference. I had no clue they were from Harry Potter. TV writers can assume that the vast majority of viewers are familiar with HP on generic terms, but can't assume they've all read the books.Sure, but it would be impossible to write so that everybody (or even the majority) gets every reference. I'm positive there are tons of zingers that whiz by me. But the jokes I do get, I appreciate even more.

For example, in the episode The Merger (http://www.tv.com/the-office/the-merger/episode/910013/summary.html?tag=ep_list;title;7), Michael did a video called "Lazy Scranton", which is apparently an allusion to an SNL short called "Lazy Sunday". I'd never heard of or seen the short, so I was really only able to enjoy Michael's video on a superficial, Michael-being-a-weird-idiot basis. That's okay by me, I'm not going to "get" everything. A show like the Office, especially, leans a lot on popular culture references. They are usually funnier if they're left unexplained.

Re: Harry Potter, you're right that the vast majority of viewers are familiar with it on generic terms. I would even venture to say that more viewers are familiar with in on specific terms (specific enough to get the Dementors refernce) than they are with something like "Lazy Sunday".

Then again, I could be wrong. My original point was that, for me (who is familiar with HP), the joke didn't work nearly as well as it could have.

hajario
12-01-2006, 11:32 AM
I thought that Prison Mike was lame but the rest was great so over all an above average episode.

I love how a Stamford person has quit the last two episodes. It's gotta be the mommy next.

Other great moments were Pam during her confessional just beaming when talking about Jim's prank. Then Jim not letting Karen in on a Pam prank because it was special.

Oscar will be back in another couple of months. I wonder if the actor who plays Oscar had personal reasons for not being able to be there for part of the taping so they wrote it into the show.

Push You Down
12-01-2006, 11:44 AM
...huh... I honestly think this was one of the best episodes.. actually EVER.
It was cringe-worthy and hilarious. I know I laughed outloud atleast once in every scene and in every talking head.

Angela's line "As a 90 pound woman in a dimly lit, rarely visited corner of the office..."
Kevin's: "I had Martin explain to me 3 times what he did that landed him in prison and it sounded alot like what I do here... every.. day."
Andy's "I'm sooo horny."

Hampshire
12-01-2006, 12:50 PM
I thought the ep was a bit over the top with Michael. The writers seem to be reaching too far and might be better off exploring the other characters, letting Michael revert to his ninny self. .

Yeah, he seemed a little over the top. I was glad they had the scene where Toby stepped in to bring him back to reality with his "C'mon Michael. They're just joking with you. You think they seriously think prison would be better than working here? They're just playing with you."
Michael's reaction was a conflicted "Get lost Toby", "You're right Toby","Now I feel stupid","Now I feel angry".

Dinsdale
12-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Other than the mom and the 2 who seem destined to stay, how many Stamfordians/Stamfordites/Stamfordistas remain?

Slacker
12-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Other than the mom and the 2 who seem destined to stay, how many Stamfordians/Stamfordites/Stamfordistas remain?
I kind of think that's it. Just the mom, Andy, and Karen left now (and Jim if he counts).

gigi
12-01-2006, 02:38 PM
And the way Andy the suck-up plays along with the "Scared Straight" performance.

middleman
12-01-2006, 02:46 PM
He's got to get back to making more Washington Mutual commercials.

I'm kind of disappointed that he left. That guy pops up in a lot of stuff and I like him everytime I see him. I first noticed him on Seinfeld, but he seems to be a regular working actor.

I wonder why he hasn't gotten a regular gig by now.

middleman
12-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Oops. Hit submit too soon.

A few other things:

- Toby's scene was pretty solid. I think it was his best moment on the show (except maybe his talk of Amsterdam).

- I loved Kevin's fist pump when it turned out to be the black guy.

- Appollo Creed is better than Jesus? Funny!

- Could Ed Helms replace Michael if Carrell left and they wanted to continue with the show? It would seem to change the tone of the show from a buddy boss to a sadist boss, but that's ok.

Push You Down
12-01-2006, 02:55 PM
- Appollo Creed is better than Jesus? Funny!

with of course the assumption that Jesus was white.

gigi
12-01-2006, 03:18 PM
I wonder if the character is supposed to mixed-race like the actress is?

The part that weirded me out was Jan telling all of them about Martin. If anything, she'd tell Michael only. Jan is supposed to be more discreet than that.

h.sapiens
12-01-2006, 03:22 PM
I wonder if the character is supposed to mixed-race like the actress is?

The part that weirded me out was Jan telling all of them about Martin. If anything, she'd tell Michael only. Jan is supposed to be more discreet than that.

By now, she probably realizes that if she tells Michael, the whole office will know in about 5 minutes, even if she specifically tells him not to repeat it, so she just went ahead and told them all.

Push You Down
12-01-2006, 03:25 PM

Well it was strange that they even had to call Jan since Jan figured it out by contacting an HR person. It would seem that Toby would have know what was up.
Did they establish that Toby is in another physical area now? It seemed like he was more cordined off when he got the call from Pam letting him know they were locked up.

Slacker
12-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Did they establish that Toby is in another physical area now? It seemed like he was more cordined off when he got the call from Pam letting him know they were locked up.
Yeah - he and Kelly are in a separate area back behind/near the breakroom and lunchroom. You can get an idea of where it is in the episodes where Jim has to sit back there after Michael takes his desk, and the one with the photographer is taking pictures for the ID badges, to name a couple off the top of my head. He used to sit next to Kelly, but had to move due to an allergy... to the desk. :D

gigi
12-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Did they establish that Toby is in another physical area now? It seemed like he was more cordined off when he got the call from Pam letting him know they were locked up.I've always felt like he was removed, particularly when Dwight and Michael went by his office area during the Complaints episode. Makes sense for the HR sensitive conversations which are supposed to be done in private :smack:

Slacker
12-01-2006, 03:50 PM
I've always felt like he was removed, particularly when Dwight and Michael went by his office area during the Complaints episode. Makes sense for the HR sensitive conversations which are supposed to be done in private :smack:
Except that Kelly is within earshot. Not a good idea to share your deep dark secrets with her. ;)

This was a bitch to Google, but I found this floorplan drawing that I think is a pretty good approximation of how the place is laid out.

http://cleverocity.com/theoffice/monkeybutler_version_of_office_plan?full=1

Mahaloth
12-01-2006, 09:49 PM
I've never seen the Six Flags old man commericals. I live near Detroit.

What am I missing?

Red Barchetta
12-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Overall, a kind of middle-of-the-road episode. I was expecting more from Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. Then again, I do prefer this version to the UK original. Different strokes.

I fully agree. When I first heard Ricky Gervais was writing for the US version, I was worried - and it seems my fears weren't completley unfounded. From what I could tell, Michael acted a lot more like his UK equivalent than his usual self. And the Jan thing was off too.

All in all, not a bad episode, but I really hope Ricky doesn't write for it again.

Oslo Ostragoth
12-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Anybody want to take up the mantle of starting a new link each week? Perhaps with links to previous threads?

Slacker
12-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU2yt6wOoK0

Enjoy! :D

jbarro
12-02-2006, 11:36 AM
I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, and I knew about the Six Flags old guy, but then again we get a lot of U.S. cable affiliates and the commercials aren't always changed.

I loved the cringe-worthiness of the "Prison Mike" segment, especially Michael's ever-changing accent.

Do we have any idea how long Steve Carell plans to stay with the show? By the way, if you haven't seen the preview his upcoming movie Evan Almighty yet, check it out. It looks quite funny, even for a sequel. http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/evanalmighty/

PunditLisa
12-02-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't know who the Six Flags dude is.

Thought is was a thoroughly mediocre episode.

Red Barchetta
12-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Upon further reflection, I retract my modest "it wasn't a bad episode" comment and replace it with "one of the worse episodes of Office yet."

middleman
12-03-2006, 12:38 AM
I really liked this episode. I don't get (but do respect) the negative reaction. I didn't know this was the Gervais episode until I read the thread.

kittenblue
12-03-2006, 07:18 AM
I just watched my tape of this last night, and I'm going to have to watch it again....I never saw Jan, or heard her mentioned. I never heard any reference to Six Flags. Nor did I see Dwight use money, or a fist pump. When it started, the new guy was telling them all about prison...never saw Jan at all. Did I not rewind far enough?

PunditLisa
12-03-2006, 07:58 AM
I just watched my tape of this last night, and I'm going to have to watch it again....I never saw Jan, or heard her mentioned. I never heard any reference to Six Flags. Nor did I see Dwight use money, or a fist pump. When it started, the new guy was telling them all about prison...never saw Jan at all. Did I not rewind far enough?

Correct. Jan appeared only briefly in the very beginning and only on the phone. Michael, Angela, and Stanley had gotten a check and they were trying to figure out why. Jan told them that it was a payout from the government for hiring a "rehabilitated" person a.k.a. an ex-con. From the date of the check, she determined it was a Stanford employee. When they asked who it was, she put them on hold to find out. The rest of them guessed different people, with Stanley suspecting the new black guy, earning him a rebuke from Michael for being racist.

Oh, and for the record, I had no idea who had written the episode either, until I came to this thread. In fact, I can't tell you who wrote any of the episodes except this one (now). I just thought that the rhythm was "off" and that the humor was strained. Michael's ex-con routine made me squirm, not laugh, and I didn't think it was in character for Pam and Jim to egg him on while he's making an ass out of himself. They think Michael is a fool, yes, but at the end of the day, they care about him.

hajario
12-03-2006, 08:25 AM
The rest of them guessed different people, with Stanley suspecting the new black guy, earning him a rebuke from Michael for being racist.

Kevin, not Stanley.

middleman
12-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Pam and Jim seem somewhat schizo on egging on Michael. Thye like to get him going, but only when he is oblivious to people's scorn.

When Michael's feelings are on the line, they always seem to rally and pick him up.

Unlike most of the others in the office, I think Jim and Pam actually care about Michael and don't want to see him hurt.

The Dumbest Guy in the Room
12-03-2006, 09:33 AM
In the opeming segement Pam get's the sex wrong to be told pink is the baby's favourite colour. Then Stanley makes a comment. I can't make out what Stanley said.

GrandWino
12-03-2006, 09:57 AM
In the opeming segement Pam get's the sex wrong to be told pink is the baby's favourite colour. Then Stanley makes a comment. I can't make out what Stanley said.

Stanley just mutters "Fantastic." as he walks by, obviously annoyed at this new person bringing her baby into the office.

Ellis Dee
12-03-2006, 10:18 AM
StanfordIrrelevant, pedantic nitpick: Stamford.

PunditLisa
12-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Irrelevant, pedantic nitpick: Stamford.

And quite odd, since I knew that it was Stamford with an "m." I swear.