PDA

View Full Version : I really need help tracking down Sarah Vaughan rendition of "Alone Again (Naturally)"

Carnac the Magnificent!
12-01-2006, 12:08 AM
I think I'm asking the impossible here, but I heard this recording in a nightclub last weekend and I must have it. I've searched everywhere for a recording. No luck.

What I (think I) know is that Sassy recorded this Gilbert O'Sullivan song on the Mainstream label, No. 379. The LP album is called "Feelin' Good." Unfortunately, it appears to be available only on LP. I don't have a phonograph.

I'm wondering if this song can be downloaded somewhere. I'm willing to pay $25 for that one download. I'd prefer to get it on CD, but I don't think a CD version was ever recorded. No luck over at Amazon. Either my Google fu sucks, or no one else has it either. Again, an LP doesn't do me much good, as I known no one with a turntable.

On this website, you can find a snippet of the song, listed under "Other Voices." What a voice!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/soldonsong/songlibrary/aloneagainnaturally.shtml

fishbicycle
12-01-2006, 12:57 AM
I've just spent 45 minutes looking all over the web for it, and there is apparently no CD of this album in existence. From what I can gather, her work for the Mainstream label is currently unavailable except on LP. "Feelin' Good" must be exceptionally scarce, as allmusic.com doesn't list it among her discography, nor a rendition of the song you seek by her. But we know it's out there. Just not on a CD. Sorry!

Oakminster
12-01-2006, 01:28 AM
I didn't see this song, but YouTube has several clips of her performing...

if6was9
12-01-2006, 03:45 AM
I know this isn't what you asked for, but the coincidence rather astounds me... I found Gilbert O'Sullivan's gorgeous full version last weekend (what a tragically sad song, dayam!), and at least 319 other songs...
http://www.likenote.com/listener/song/319

Carnac the Magnificent!
12-01-2006, 10:03 AM
I've just spent 45 minutes looking all over the web for it, and there is apparently no CD of this album in existence. From what I can gather, her work for the Mainstream label is currently unavailable except on LP. "Feelin' Good" must be exceptionally scarce, as allmusic.com doesn't list it among her discography, nor a rendition of the song you seek by her. But we know it's out there. Just not on a CD. Sorry!

I'm honored that anyone would help as much as you have. Many thanks!

So let's say I acquire that LP. Are there people who specialize in transfering an LP-based song to a CD?

fishbicycle
12-01-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm honored that anyone would help as much as you have. Many thanks!

So let's say I acquire that LP. Are there people who specialize in transfering an LP-based song to a CD?

You're welcome. I usually know where to look to find a recording. This one is pretty elusive! And yes, I do vinyl-to-CD transfers. I did one for another Doper earlier this year. My e-mail is in my profile, if you're interested.

Carnac the Magnificent!
12-02-2006, 09:27 AM
You're welcome. I usually know where to look to find a recording. This one is pretty elusive! And yes, I do vinyl-to-CD transfers. I did one for another Doper earlier this year. My e-mail is in my profile, if you're interested.

Many thanks. I will keep you in mind should I ever locate this LP.

kaylasdad99
12-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Have you asked the personnel at the nightclub?

Carnac the Magnificent!
12-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Have you asked the personnel at the nightclub?

It was in Tokyo! (I'll be back in a few weeks, but will anyone remember?)

fishbicycle
12-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Oh, man, you didn't mention that it was Tokyo! You can get everything that was ever recorded and released, and a bunch of stuff that wasn't, in Japan! The Japanese have an obsession with American music, and they must have released just about every note of every kind of music that ever came out of America. Some artists have catalogue items that have only been issued on CD in Japan. Most are legit; others are pirated with impunity because of the difficulty the RIAA has asserting their authority there.

I recommend that you ask the people at the bar if they know the source of the recording you heard. Somebody there is a jazz enthusiast. You might be able to pick up a CD over there with ease, and maybe cheap.

astro
12-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Some info here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/discussionboard/discussion.html?ie=UTF8&cdForum=FxF50M5K7XMK8U&asin=B00023GGHQ&cdThread=TxQG9FE9W2TTJR)

Small bit of it here in RAM (realplayer) format (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/soldonsong/songlibrary/aloneagainnaturally.shtml)