PDA

View Full Version : Foods that make you positively nauseous

Guinastasia
12-03-2006, 12:24 PM
For me, it's gotta be hard boiled eggs. I think they are the nastiness fucking substance you can find. My father loves them and makes a couple of cartons worth a week. The smell from cooking makes me sick.

Then today I watched him mash them up into tiny bits, and combine with horse radish and sour cream, and then put dijon mustard over the mess. Ugh. I almost lost my own lunch (Italian wedding soup) watching him eat it.

What's your's? (And could someone please explain the appeal of hard boiled eggs?)

MadTheSwine
12-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Cantelope.Hate it,cant stand the sight or smell of it.Whenever the former SO and i got in a fight,she would go buy one to piss me off further.

supervenusfreak
12-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Boiled cauliflower. Even the smell just makes me feel nauseous.

Cisco
12-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Cilantro. The stuff absolutely tastes like a chemical weapon and it's in EVERYTHING here in the southwest. Fast food places are even starting to use it, and it's pre-infused with the other ingredients so you can't ask them to leave it off. In regular restaurants it's in all the salsa so I can no longer enjoy chips and salsa while waiting for my meal. A few tiny flecks of fresh cilantro will dominate the taste of anything it is added to, to the point that biting into a burrito with cilantro in it is about as enjoyable as biting into a bar of soap.

supervenusfreak
12-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Cilantro. The stuff absolutely tastes like a chemical weapon and it's in EVERYTHING here in the southwest. Fast food places are even starting to use it, and it's pre-infused with the other ingredients so you can't ask them to leave it off. In regular restaurants it's in all the salsa so I can no longer enjoy chips and salsa while waiting for my meal. A few tiny flecks of fresh cilantro will dominate the taste of anything it is added to, to the point that biting into a burrito with cilantro in it is about as enjoyable as biting into a bar of soap.

Jayjay is the same way too. Any amount of cilantro added to any food ruins it for him.

Miss Mapp
12-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Rye bread. Just the smell of it nauseates me; biting into one of those little seeds in it can make me gag.

Also black licorice and Dijon mustard (not together).

mr. jp
12-03-2006, 01:19 PM
McDonalds, Pizza hut, any food with a lot of fat.

Rye bread might be the main ingredient in my diet.

cruel butterfly
12-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Liver. Beef liver, chicken liver, whatever liver. I don't like any of it. I've never eaten liver pate. I can't understand why anyone would want to eat liver and onions. My mother in law makes a chopped liver cracker spread whenever the family gathers around Hannukah and Passover. Twice a year I have to graciously decline to sample the chopped liver. Each time, I have to explain that I have a psychological aversion due to being forced to eat it when I was little. All the while, I have to work really hard to suppress my gag reflex.

Oddly enough, I like chorizo which is made with a bunch of organ meats, but it's so tasty in scrambled eggs I just can't help myself.

Stillwell Angel
12-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Bananas. Just the smell of them is enough to make me gag.

Lama Pacos
12-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Anything with eggs as the primary ingredient. So gross.

Also, tuna fish. Holy fuck that stuff is rancid. I can barely be in the same room with it.

PerditaX
12-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Brussels sprouts. I can't imagine anyone would voluntarily eat the things. Just the smell of them cooking makes me have to leave the room. Raw tomatoes - ick! What's not slimy is grainy and they taste nasty and they ruin a perfectly good sandwich.

BTW to the OP: One of my "favorite" grammar peeves is using "nauseous" when one means "nauseated." Nauseous means "causing nausea." Nauseated is the feeling of being sick to one's stomach. It's amazing how often people get that one wrong.

Tibby or Not Tibby
12-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Cilantro. The stuff absolutely tastes like a chemical weapon <snip>
You're not alone:
http://www.ihatecilantro.com/stories.php

Seems there may be a genetic predisposition to finding cilantro unpalatable and it correlates to ones ability to taste the chemical phenylthiocarbamide.
Count me in that club: cilantro - blah!

chrisk
12-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Hmm... you know, I don't think I've ever been positively nauseous. It's always a very negative experience for me.

(Ducks and scampers for safety)

Cisco
12-03-2006, 02:24 PM
BTW to the OP: One of my "favorite" grammar peeves is using "nauseous" when one means "nauseated." Nauseous means "causing nausea." Nauseated is the feeling of being sick to one's stomach. It's amazing how often people get that one wrong.
Guadere strikes again. Nauseated is the verb. Nauseas is the state of feeling nausea. The OP used it properly.

Ex: That food nauseated me and I was nauseas the rest of the day.

LavenderBlue
12-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Peas from a can repulse me.

Mayonnaise and yoghurt also make me want to puke. I don't like milky, runny white substances. (Awaits really bad sex joke. :D )

Abby_Emma_Sasha
12-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Wow, you people are weird. I mean that in a good way.

I love eggs, cauliflower, rye bread, all those things that are good for you. The fast food junk I agree with wholeheartedly, skip that crap. But please eat eggs and rye. Yum. A grilled cheese on rye is heaven, trust me.

The only foods I absolutely will not eat are sardines and cooked carrots. Raw carrots are fine.

Cisco
12-03-2006, 02:29 PM
I should've looked for a cite before I posted, because Merriam-Webster actually comments on your mistaken assertion. I've never seen them do that before.

Main Entry: nau·seous
Pronunciation: 'no-sh&s, 'no-zE-&s
Function: adjective
1 : causing nausea or disgust : NAUSEATING
2 : affected with nausea or disgust
- nau·seous·ly adverb
- nau·seous·ness noun
usage Those who insist that nauseous can properly be used only in sense 1 and that in sense 2 it is an error for nauseated are mistaken.
Bolding mine.

Qadgop the Mercotan
12-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Guadere strikes again. Nauseated is the verb. Nauseas is the state of feeling nausea. The OP used it properly.

I belive you mean nauseous. Nauseas is just the plural of nausea.

Baron Greenback
12-03-2006, 02:31 PM

Heh, it never fails does it? Nauseous.

I can eat pretty much anything except fresh oysters. Oyster sauce and suchlike is fine, so I think it's just a texture thing.

Cisco
12-03-2006, 02:36 PM
You're not alone:
http://www.ihatecilantro.com/stories.php

Seems there may be a genetic predisposition to finding cilantro unpalatable and it correlates to ones ability to taste the chemical phenylthiocarbamide.
Count me in that club: cilantro - blah!Awhile back I thought about buying one of their shirts and wearing it everytime I went out to eat. The problem is, a lot of people still don't know what it is, and waiters, waitresses, and fast food workers will confidently assure me that what I'm ordering does not have cilantro in it right before bringing me a dish full of cilantro.

It's a plague around here. It really is. It's finding its way into the oddest food. I ordered french fries at a mircro-brewery awhile back and they were sprinkled with what I thought was parsley. Nope. Cilantro.

Adoptamom_II
12-03-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm with cruel butterfly on the liver - blech.

What will positively send me running and gagging is the taste and texture of a fresh tomato. Oddly enough, I love any tomato based Italian sauce and can slurp it right up, but sliced, diced, or smashed fresh tomato ruins the entire dish for me.

perhaps it has something to do with my getting my butt torn to shreds multiple times at one meal for declining to eat room temp tomatoes sliced and salted, swimming in tomato juice. thanks mom - love you too.

Cisco
12-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Heh, it never fails does it? Nauseous.
It is powerful, this law.

Zsofia
12-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Jello. Every so often I think, hey, maybe I've grown out of that, it'd be nice to have some Jello! I mean, it tastes like solid Kool-Aid, right? And I eat one bite and think, hey, Jello! And then I eat a second and my brain figures out what that texture is and I have to fight to swallow it and not throw up.

Oh, and bananas. Used to like them when I was a kid, but now I can't stand the texture.

cruel butterfly
12-03-2006, 03:24 PM
The only foods I absolutely will not eat are sardines and cooked carrots. Raw carrots are fine.
I've never eaten sardines, but they just don't look edible, so I'll probably live my entire life never having tasted them.

I haven't eaten a cooked carrot on purpose since I was 14 year old. If they're swimming around in the chicken noodle soup and they're tiny, I'll eat them. Otherwise, I won't let them near my mouth.

Mrs. Cake
12-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Mayonnaise - can't even think of it without gagging. I briefly had a boyfriend who put mayo on his eggs. Put me off eggs for a couple years.

Also cooked zucchini - nasty, slimy stuff. Probably a holdover from my childhood when my mom grew the stuff by the ton and it got involved in at least one meal a day for a few years.

Taters
12-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Canned herring or sardines. Just the smell of them turns my stomach.

Canned peas are just plain gross. They also smell like dirty socks when you cook them. Give me fresh or frozen ANY day.

Brussels sprouts. Ew, ew, ew, ew!

I'm not getting the eggs thing. But, hey, different strokes for different folks. I love boiled eggs, and especially love them soft-boiled so I can chop them up on buttered toast. It's kind of a comfort thing when I'm feeling sick.

jnglmassiv
12-03-2006, 03:42 PM
As one who will eat virtually anything and enjoy a large subset of foods tried, the only one I can think of is artificial watermelon flavoring. Watermelon Jolly Ranchers or Bubble Yum make my skin crawl.

I've overcome a few sickness-inducing flavors. Brown liquor (whisk(e)y, Scotch, bourbon, etc) used to be intolerable. Fish sauce still smells pretty foul but tastes great. Dark meat from a chicken or turkey is now my favorite.

I bought and tried durian (the fruit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian), not the deadly typhoon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Pacific_typhoon_season)) a few weeks ago. Not pleasant but not retch-inducing, either. I can almost see learning to enjoy this weird fruit.

Cisco
12-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Jello. Every so often I think, hey, maybe I've grown out of that, it'd be nice to have some Jello! I mean, it tastes like solid Kool-Aid, right? And I eat one bite and think, hey, Jello! And then I eat a second and my brain figures out what that texture is and I have to fight to swallow it and not throw up.

I'm like this with cole slaw except I crave the stuff intensely. It's been so bad before that I've gotten out of bed at night, got dressed, drove to the grocery store, asked an employee to get me a bucket of cole slaw from the deli (which is closed), then brought the stuff home and spit out the 2nd bite after forcing myself to choke down the first.

I have never liked cole slaw and I probably never will but I try it every couple months. It's weird.

PerditaX
12-03-2006, 03:47 PM

I stand corrected. I must've been misinformed. :(

See, you really do learn something new every day!

And thank you for making sure I had my US RDA of :smack:

Cisco
12-03-2006, 03:48 PM
I'm almost scared to ask but what in hell's name is fish sauce?

Baron Greenback
12-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Fermented fish extract - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
12-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Bananas here, too, but I like the smell of them. And I like banana-flavored stuff. I adore banana bread. I'll even eat banana chips. (I might even enjoy banana chips if they didn't have the texture of poker chips.) But I can't choke down a fresh banana. Something about chewing that gooshy fruit makes me gag.

I like everything in the first six posts except for the licorice. (But cilantro needs to be used in moderation.)

alice_in_wonderland
12-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Raw prawns totally send me.

I like pretty well all sushi - even the more exotic stuff, but raw prawns make me gag just thinking about trying to eat one. blech.

Kilvert's Pagan
12-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Mango. Yecch.

I love cilantro, though.

Tibby or Not Tibby
12-03-2006, 04:32 PM
How ‘bout them Aussies with their down under version of BP&J: Vegamite!

I‘d rather slather what comes out of my cat, Tibby’s litter box on toast than that godawful slime! :)

According to Pliny
12-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Virginia cured ham. Rancid fat. My in-laws loved it.
And red-eye gravy. Like a bowl of salt.

gallows fodder
12-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Wow, so much hate for the cilantro. It warms the heart. I can't stay in the kitchen if someone's cutting it, let alone eat it in my food. Saying it tastes like soap is too kind, IMO. Cilantro smells and tastes diseased to me. It tastes toxic. Why the first person who ever bit into it decided to classify it as edible is beyond me.

I can't stand cumin, either, but it doesn't make me want to die and I can choke it down if I have to (I used to live with friends who loved the stuff). Cilantro -- no way, no how.

Bananas, especially if they're mashed, are nausea-inducing. As are runny eggs. GAH.

Guinastasia, I feel you on the hard boiled egg thing. A couple times a year, I'll have an inexplicable craving for one of them, and then the experience puts me right off the taste or scent of eggs for a few months.

gonzomax
12-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Spam will get me to airmail every time I smell it. Tomatos are a combination of fruit and animal. Cut them in half and you see intestines ,veins and organs. They should be illegal.

divemaster
12-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Raw tomatoes. Or chunks of stewed tomatoes.

I love things like spaghetti and salsa, but not with chunks. "Chunky" salsa? Forget it. I like the local Mexican restaurant that has a nice thin very hot salsa.

Once my dad convinced me to try a bite of a fresh tomato. Straight from his garden ("not one of those insipid store tomatoes, son; it's not the same--you'll like this one!").

I threw up. The only food that will make me retch.

I do love every seafood I've ever had, and I've had some really weird stuff (my wife is Korean). Except oysters. Can't eat those, even deep fried.

Quiddity Glomfuster
12-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Wow, so much hate for the cilantro. It warms the heart. I can't stay in the kitchen if someone's cutting it, let alone eat it in my food. Saying it tastes like soap is too kind, IMO. Cilantro smells and tastes diseased to me. It tastes toxic.

You folks do realize there's a whole entire thread devoted exclusively to cilantro already?

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=398491

Me, I don't like organ meats. They have a narsty little kinda bitter-ick quality to them.
And then there's the whole category of 'icky slimy fishy things' - which is mostly seafood. I can bear some fish as long as it's not fishy tasting but seafood is A) gross looking and B) gross. I remember going to an 'authentic' Chinese New Year meal which featured things like sea cucumber and some ghastly oval grey rubbery thing on a bed of what looked like slimy green thin seaweed. No way I was going to taste it, especially when the confirmed seafood lovers proclaimed it unpalatable.

Then there's food that doesn't like me. Iceberg lettuce and cucumbers will make me ill (but I happily eat all other lettuces). Basil and bergamot make me belch. And if I eat allspice, the flavour stays with me for DAYS. Ew.

As for hard boiled eggs, they're yummy. They are one of the foods (many of the foods mentioned in this thread belong in the group) that smell bad but taste good. The hands-down winner of that category is honey which smells like bee vomit (I guess) but tastes nothing like its smell.

ralph124c
12-03-2006, 07:46 PM
How this stuff got popular is beyond me-it is disgusting! Simultaneously slimey, fishy, sour and just gawd-awful! The rich can delude themslves (I hear the "good" stuff goes for >$50/oz!). Garrghh! it's like eating snot! :confused:

Millit the Frail
12-03-2006, 07:47 PM
I love things like spaghetti and salsa, but not with chunks. "Chunky" salsa? Forget it. I like the local Mexican restaurant that has a nice thin very hot salsa.

I'm with you on this, but for me it's the chunks of onion. Onions, in just about any form except very little itty bitty pieces, make me nauseous. A question I should probably put out to Cecil: Why can't they sell jarred, commercial versions of the hot, thin salsas that local Mexican restaurants make? All the ones in the grocery store advertise themselves as "chunky" like it's a good thing. Blechh.

HazelNutCoffee
12-03-2006, 07:52 PM
RAW TOMATOES. They are evil.

Clotted cow blood soup also makes me want to hurl, but thankfully it's not a food one runs into every day.

Dr. Rieux
12-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Licorice
Liver
Raw Celery
Blueberries

Cunctator
12-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Corn

Risotto with cheese

Guy Incognito
12-03-2006, 08:27 PM

That's funny. A young woman I used to work with had the same reaction to bananas? You didn't live in Bloomington before, did you? :)

I'm another person that hates liver in any form. I think it gives off some sort of strange metallic smell whenever it's fried. The taste and texture are enough to make me want to vomit.

Guinastasia
12-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Guinastasia, I feel you on the hard boiled egg thing. A couple times a year, I'll have an inexplicable craving for one of them, and then the experience puts me right off the taste or scent of eggs for a few months.

I tried one ONCE-my cousin was eating one, so I tasted a small piece. Ick! It was completely tasteless and the texture was just so fucking gross.

Now, it's not eggs in general that I don't like-I absolutely LOVE scrambled eggs and omelets. Yummy! Fried eggs-not too keen on them, but I've had them in a breakfast sandwhich type thing once or twice and I was able to eat it.

But hardboiled? *shudder* Like I said, my father absolutely adores them and when he makes them they stink up the entire kitchen. I can't even watch him eat them, or I'll end up gagging.

Strangely enough, as a child I felt the same way about mustard-the vinegar-y smell disgusted me. Until my dad actually dared me to taste it and I found it was heaven. Now I adore mustard-especially honey mustard.

Subterraneanus
12-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Cottage cheese
Cooked peas
Cottage cheese
Liver/giblets
Cottage cheese
Yams
Cottage cheese
Sweet potatoes
Cottage cheese
Buttermilk
Cottage cheese

vivalostwages
12-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Cooked carrots. Puuuuuuuke!

And just the smell of papaya; it reminds me of vomit.

BrainGlutton
12-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Eggs in any form. Since I was two.

BrainGlutton
12-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Eggs in any form. Since I was two.

I mean, bird eggs. Fish eggs I like just fine.

Raw onions. Love 'em cooked, can't stand 'em raw.

SurrenderDorothy
12-03-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm another banana hater. Occasionally, I'll decide I want one. But I can only get through about an eighth of a banana before I decide I'll puke if I eat another bite. And I can't stand the smell. I do like banana in fruit salad, I think... but I haven't had a fruit salad in a long time.

Meat. I can stand the sight of it most of the time... I'd have to, or I'd have to go become a hermit. The smell of it cooking, though, makes me want to gag. And things like burgers which are so greasy they GLISTEN... ugh.

the smell of cooking mushrooms nauseates me, but I like the taste.

ANYTHING deep-fried or overly greasy. If it leaves a residue on my hands, I'm not eating it.

calorie boosters. Oh holy mother of god... if you've never tried one of these, I want to be you. They taste horrible. The milkshake kinds are terrible... they're so... like THICK and grody. Then they pretend to be yummy by having flavors like chocolate and vanilla and they're sweet, but overly sweet and not yummy at all. The fruit-flavored ones are only a very little bit better in that the idea of putting ice in something milky offends my sensibilities, whereas ice in a "fruit juice" isn't as bad. But even with ice, it's horrible. It's like drinking syrup. I've finally figured out, though, that if I mix 1 part boost with 3 parts water and freeze it, it's more palatable and nobody really notices that it's dilute, so I only have to have a quarter of a can and everyone thinks it's a whole one.

lessee... any kind of sauce where there's oil separated from the sauce. All that oil makes me cringe.

Blue cheese.

licorice

cheesecake. cheese should not be sweet.

whipped cream- EW!

come to think of it, anything with cream or creme. twinkies/hohos/etc and things like cream cake/cream puffs/cannoli type things.

any kind of cream pie

beans- I have no problem with them sight-wise or smell-wise, but the texture is awful. So mushy! Same with green beans, except the texture isn't so much mushy as... shiny? I don't know how to describe it.

Chefguy
12-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Oysters. Inedible slime, even when cooked.

Fat. Not fat like in bacon. Fat like what you find on a steak. The thought of eating it makes me start to gag.

Asgardking
12-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Sweet pickles (and by extension relish). I love dill pickles (especially Valassic zesty dills) but sweet are just retching.

Venison. and when you tell people this they always say "You just havn't had it bled properly". If that's true then how come when I try theirs, it's nasty too. My ex's family were big hunters and hating venison in that family was basically a crime. The first time I was sleeping at their house and woke up to them cooking it, my first thought was the sewer had backed up. Awful awful smell.

Patty O'Furniture
12-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Then today I watched him mash them up into tiny bits, and combine with horse radish and sour cream, and then put dijon mustard over the mess. Ugh. I almost lost my own lunch (Italian wedding soup) watching him eat it.

Soup made from an Italian wedding has got to be greasy as hell.

Liver is an organ so it doesn't even count as food. Same with Vegamite - it's closer to axle grease.

A friend of mine uesed to say that Brussels sprouts taste like somebody farted in your mouth. Yeah, I can see that. Still like 'em.

Cisco: I'm almost scared to ask but what in hell's name is fish sauce?

It's a variant of Worcestershire sauce. Calling it "fermented fish extract", while true, does not do it justice. Worcestershire has more of a molasses-peppery flavor, while fish sauce has a saltier marine flavor.

MLS
12-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Liver.
Peppers. It doesn't matter if they're spicy hot or not; plain "sweet" green bell peppers will make me physically ill. Oddly, the pepper flakes you put on pizza are fine. But a meatloaf or other such food with a tablespoon of chopped up green peppers will give me digestive upset for hours, literally.
Bananas, except in banana-nut bread.

Guinastasia
12-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Soup made from an Italian wedding has got to be greasy as hell.
:D :p

You've never had Italian wedding soup? Oh, it's yummy-chicken broth, with spinach, those tiny little pearl-shaped noodles, and meatballs. It's scrumptious! (Even if it is from a can, it's still good).

Try it-even if you only go with Campbell's Select, it's still pretty tasty.

myskepticsight
12-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Bananas. Smell makes me want to upchuck. Can't even watch someone eat one - all mushy. And when they get brown in spots - rank.

Cottage cheese is some of the foulest shit ever. I tried it once, just a tiny bit, and honestly almost barfed on the table. Aren't you supposed to throw away your milk when it curdles?

I agree with raw tomatoes. I used to have to slice them at work and while I didn't flip out when a seed got on me (like a friend at work did) I still think they are disgusting. I get very disappointed when I get pizza or pasta with chunks in it.

Finding a chunk of fat in meat is unforgivable. I just think about taking a bite out of my thigh or something. I like good steak that is marbled but you can't taste the fat texture in the steak and the fat chunks are on the edge and able to be cut off easily.

Lettuce is gross. Tastes like nothing, but in a bad way. I can't even pick it off a sandwich then eat the sandwich, the funky taste lingers.

Hard boiled eggs or eggs cooked where there are runny parts. Ew. Just ew.

Deer sausage. No.

Organ meats are just wrong.

I hate all tropical fruit flavors, so eating the fruits themselves is out of the question. Coconut, pineapple, ugh.

Cheesecake is gross even though I loooove cream cheese. Not sugary cream cheese though.

Yogurt. Yeah, don't want any live things in my food, thanks.

And the smell of curry makes me want to spew.

Beware of Doug
12-03-2006, 11:13 PM
All the animus against raw tomato, banana and bell pepper is surprising me. Suppose it's something genetic?

I generally love all fishes. But wild ocean salmon, the superoily omega 3 packed kind, now makes me go ooog after only a few bites.

Anybody else out there icked out by the hard spiney bits in lettuce? Wet things should not be crunchy, that's my stand.

Sarahfeena
12-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Bananas here, too, but I like the smell of them. And I like banana-flavored stuff. I adore banana bread. I'll even eat banana chips. (I might even enjoy banana chips if they didn't have the texture of poker chips.) But I can't choke down a fresh banana. Something about chewing that gooshy fruit makes me gag.

I like everything in the first six posts except for the licorice. (But cilantro needs to be used in moderation.) I feel the exact same way about bananas...the flavor is fine, but the texture is yuck!

I don't like licorice, either...I heard once that there is a genetic component to tasting licorice, and so people either love it or hate it (apparently, much like cilantro!)

I hate hate hate peas. We like to go to a local bar that has delicious all-you-can-eat fish & chips. The dinner also comes with all-you-can-eat peas. Once when we were there, my husband talked me into eating the peas, since I was pregnant, and it was pretty much the only green thing available to eat. They DID look like nice, fresh peas, and I'm sure to someone who enjoys peas, they were great. My first bite almost came back up, and ended up being my last bite as well.

Count me in as another one who dislikes eggs. Scrambled or omelet form are barely tolerable. Fried or hard-boiled, they are inedilble.

MadPansy64
12-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Hominy in any form -- grits, posole, whatever. The smell is disgusting, the texture revolting, but the taste is worse.

I like cilantro, oysters, eggs, liver, brussel sprouts and raw tomatoes. Merely contemplating that perverted, nasty bloated corn product stuff makes me queasy.

Cisco
12-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Anybody else out there icked out by the hard spiney bits in lettuce? Wet things should not be crunchy, that's my stand.
Yes! When I worked in a nice restaurant as a teenager we were instructed to pull the spine out before putting the lettuce on a sandwich. I'm constantly annoyed at restaurants that don't do this. Ditto "tomato anuses" - those are not edible yet every restaurant and fast food owner apparently got together and decided to start serving them.

OpalCat
12-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Oh, and bananas. Used to like them when I was a kid, but now I can't stand the texture.
Quit writing what my brain is thinking!!!
I think I have said the above quoted text word for word on numerous occasions.

OpalCat
12-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Sweet pickles (and by extension relish). I love dill pickles (especially Valassic zesty dills) but sweet are just retching.
Reverse that and you get me. I couldn't choke down a dill pickle if you paid me, but I could eat a whole jar of sweet pickles in one sitting.

For me the grossest food is a pretty broad one, though already mentioned: MEAT.
After 20 years as a vegetarian, the idea of eating a chunk of some animal's decomposing corpse is just so utterly disgusting that it boggles my mind that anyone can manage it.

Anastasaeon
12-04-2006, 01:57 AM
As someone who has worked in a [the world's largest] sardine factory for over seven years, I gotta tell you guys who hate them....

Good call. You really, really don't want to know more than you already know about those things. Just... keep not eating them. That's good advice I know you will stick to.

Needless to say, I don't eat sardines. Bleargh!

Guinastasia
12-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Now see, I adore tomatos, peas, cheesecake, yogurt, and bananas. So pass them my way!

Ooooh, I HATE the fatty parts of meat. It looks and feels like eating a blister. Ew.

Can't stand mayonaise. Yuck.

Halupkis, aka "hunky hand grenades". Halupkis are stuffed cabbage rolls. It's slimy, cooked cabbage stuffed with saurkraut and ground meat in some kind of sauce. Oh god, they're so freaking NASTY. My mother made me eat one ONCE. That was enough.

I used to hate saurkraut, and I really am not crazy about it-BUT...I make an exception for kapustnica, this traditional Slovak Christmas soup my mother makes every year. It's saurkraut, mushrooms, and those little square egg noodles. It's very good-I just don't take a lot of kraut when I ladle it into my bowl. Other than that, though, I won't touch the stuff.

Canned veggies-especially canned corn. Eeeeew, it's all sweet and mushy. I prefer my veggies frozen. I might eat canned green beans, but that's it. Why anyone would prefer canned veggies to frozen, which at least are fresher, and not drowned in salt and syrup, is beyond me.

Tikki
12-04-2006, 02:50 AM
I never realized there were so many other cilantro-haters out there. To me, it tastes like dirt. Not just your garden variety dirt but some kind of really dirty dirt. Maybe like what you'd get out of your vacuum cleaner, for all I know. If it's just a little bit steeped in salsa long enough, that's OK. But in other foods...Ick!

Cisco
12-04-2006, 07:57 AM
I never realized there were so many other cilantro-haters out there.
And the weird thing is, it's getting more popular. Taco Bell positively smothers their food in it now.

Annie-Xmas
12-04-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm a vegetarian, but even if I weren't, I cannot eat shellfish. It tastes like something that has gone very bad.

Carl Corey
12-04-2006, 12:20 PM
You people are weird. Sure, there are some foods I don't care for, but nausea? Well, YMMV.

And cilantro is yummy. :)

Guinastasia
12-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Celery-how can anyone eat celery raw? I always end up choking on the little strings-it doesn't bite off all the way-you always get those little threads, and they get caught in your teeth. Yeck.

OneCentStamp
12-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Wow, so much hate for the cilantro. It warms the heart. I can't stay in the kitchen if someone's cutting it, let alone eat it in my food. Saying it tastes like soap is too kind, IMO. Cilantro smells and tastes diseased to me. It tastes toxic. Why the first person who ever bit into it decided to classify it as edible is beyond me.

I can't stand cumin, either, but it doesn't make me want to die and I can choke it down if I have to (I used to live with friends who loved the stuff). Cilantro -- no way, no how.
No cumin, no cilantro. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the local Tex-Mex joints don't exactly have you on their Christmas card lists. :D

OneCentStamp gets the hurks over:
runny eggs
organ meats (especially beef liver)
tequila
guava

abbeytxs
12-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Wow, I never knew there were so many people out there who hate bananas! I like banana flavor, but the texture makes me gag.

I am a tennis player and for some weird reason people who play tennis think bananas are the be all and end all of match food. I've had doubles partners get pissed off because I wouldn't eat a banana before a match, or in between matches if we were playing an all day tourney. There is no convincing them that if I attempt to eat the banana we are going to lose anyway because I will be back by the fence trying not to heave.

Red meat also makes me gag. Again, a textural thing. I can eat chicken or fish, no problem, but take a bite out of a steak.. <shudder and retch>

Cluricaun
12-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Mushrooms of any type are foul and disgusting and people who eat them are insane.

Glory
12-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Interesting - there's a lot of foods I am not wild about - mayo, green peppers, canned green peas, but nothing has ever made me sick until a couple of months ago. I tried canned sardines for the first time. I ate a few bites with crackers and thought "hey, this isn't so bad" and then I bit into a spine. It was gross, so I put it aside and tried to continue, I stacked up 3-4 little spines and just looking at them - I started to retch, felt my stomach actually heave and had to run to the trash can to spit out what was in my mouth/dry heave. It is the only food in my life that has ever affected me like that! The taste was actually not so bad, it was a combination of texture and obvious vertabrae.

Ludovic
12-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Mushrooms of any type are foul and disgusting and people who eat them are insane.I agree with you but oddly enough I love food that has been cooked with mushrooms (well, as long as the food was tasty to begin with!) It adds a nice flavor to it. But I have to pick the mushrooms out before I eat it: I can't stand the slimey feel and chloriney taste.

Martha Medea
12-04-2006, 02:23 PM
I've got to be one of the pickiest eaters. I solved it by going vegetarian, so that I could be a picky eater and morally superior at the same time. :D Here's just some of my puke-inducing food list:

All fish - with a special mention for sardines, anchovies, herring and tinned tuna.
All meat - a special mention for liver and anything stewed or boiled.
Cottage cheese.
Strong cheese like stilton or roquefort.
Goats cheese!

Several people in my family dislike bananas - I'm not one of them.
Cilantro is an acquired taste. I remember disliking it as a child, but now I love it. Other things I wouldn't touch included mayonnaise, olives and cheese - which I love now (with some exceptions in the case of cheese, see above).

Missy2U
12-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Bananas, lima beans, peas, ketchup.

gonzomax
12-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Butterscotch and Yogurt .Bananas are good . My wife eats ducks blood soup. No thanks.Pickled pigs feet. Yuck.A gelatinous glob.
Must add Stout. Can not compare it to any taste dead or alive.

OneCentStamp
12-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Must add Stout. Can not compare it to any taste dead or alive.
Stout, as in the dark ale? Take it back! :mad:

tbdi
12-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Bananas - just the smell is enough to make me gag

Seafood of any kind - I can take tuna but anything else is so disgusting it's beyond words to describe

Wine - again, the smell is enough and the taste is liquid evil; I don't drink anything else that's gone bad, why should I want to drink soured grape juice!

Mint and strawberry - in very, very mild amounts I like both of these but everything that has them in it is just so overpowering I can't take it. Unfortunately not liking strong mint flavoring really limits the selection when it comes to toothpaste, mouthwash, etc

Caramel - no real flavor, just a chewy, sticky mess that stays in the mouth for hours

tbdi
12-04-2006, 04:06 PM
I forgot bagels... disgusting texture and all the flavor of cardboard, what's not to love?

American Airlines used to (maybe still does as it's been a while) serve "breakfast" of a banana and a bagel. The bagels I could ignore but I nearly lost it on more than one occasion when trapped in that small metal cylinder with 100 people around me all eating bananas. Snakes on a plane takes a big back seat to bananas on a plane in my book.

jali
12-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Cottage Cheese.
Spam.
Bologna - especially the bubble thing when it's fried. Scary.
Potted meat.
Bleu Cheese.
Cooked carrots.
Lima Beans.
Okra.

Cluricaun
12-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Stout, as in the dark ale? Take it back! :mad:

No, no, he must have meant “Shout!” the stain treatment, which is terrible. Nobody would name stout beer as being awful.

Stainz
12-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Any kind of fat or gristle is disgusting - I HAVE to trim it all off .. ugh. I also hate ribs.

Cisco
12-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Seafood of any kind - I can take tuna but anything else is so disgusting it's beyond words to describe
I'm with you here. I wish I liked seafood because it's popular and good for you, but I just can't stomach it. I tried to eat a crab cake at a party this weekend and I did not even complete my bite. I was trying my best not to gag in front of 250 people in formal evening attire and I had barely made teeth marks in the damn thing!

OpalCat
12-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Cilantro...

I will grant you, it smells like a mildewed dishtowel. But man, I love the taste. YUMMY!

OpalCat
12-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Celery-how can anyone eat celery raw? I always end up choking on the little strings-it doesn't bite off all the way-you always get those little threads, and they get caught in your teeth. Yeck.
I LOVE raw celery... but it has to be cut crosswise into pieces no more than half an inch wide. Otherwise, yeah, thread to death.

A long time ago, before I became a vegetarian, my dad used to make me eat seafood. My GOD is that nasty. The smell is enough that if I'm at a restaurant and someone at a nearby table orders it, I physically cannot eat. But the taste is just unfathomably vile. Oh god.

And beer. Beer is disgusting.

myskepticsight
12-04-2006, 09:44 PM
<snip>

Ooooh, I HATE the fatty parts of meat. It looks and feels like eating a blister. Ew.

That description made me gag. Good one!

tbdi don't get ya on the bagels thing (live off them) but I know if I were stuck on an airplane with 100 people eating bananas, I would surely honk.

Stillwell Angel
12-04-2006, 09:49 PM
That's funny. A young woman I used to work with had the same reaction to bananas? You didn't live in Bloomington before, did you? :)

Nope. Not me :) I'm in the Anderson area.

I am glad to see a few other anti-banana people here. I usually get the :dubious: when I state my hatred of them.

Guinastasia
12-04-2006, 09:52 PM
I LOVE raw celery... but it has to be cut crosswise into pieces no more than half an inch wide. Otherwise, yeah, thread to death.

A long time ago, before I became a vegetarian, my dad used to make me eat seafood. My GOD is that nasty. The smell is enough that if I'm at a restaurant and someone at a nearby table orders it, I physically cannot eat. But the taste is just unfathomably vile. Oh god.

I like seafood, but I'm so with you on beer. Eeeew. Give me a good cream liqueur anyday.

Cisco
12-04-2006, 09:53 PM

I used to have to leave the house when my mom cooked salmon.

How dare you talk like that about beer, though?!!

Scarlett67
12-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Why can't they sell jarred, commercial versions of the hot, thin salsas that local Mexican restaurants make? All the ones in the grocery store advertise themselves as "chunky" like it's a good thing. Blechh.
I dislike chunky salsa too; I just put it through the blender and voilà. Of course, then it becomes "my" salsa because Mr. S likes his chunky.

I can't think of any foods that make me physically ill, but I do strongly dislike bananas (although I used to eat them as a kid). Mushrooms also (like eating pencil erasers!), although I don't mind mild shroom flavor; my friend makes an excellent mushroom risotto. My other food dislikes are mostly just that, dislikes.

Love hardboiled eggs, though. I'm all over the deviled eggs at parties.

Chum
12-04-2006, 10:18 PM
I hate banana flavor, and I don't really like the texture of bananas, but I force myself to eat them sometimes. Oddly enough, I enjoy them more if I eat them more slowly.

Other yuckies:
Cilantro
Cumin
Fennel
Anise/Licorice
Thai basil
Lemon-flavored desserts (but I like lemon candies)
Stuffing
Raw red onion
Hamburger
Bleu cheese
Cherry flavoring (but I love real cherries)
Almond flavoring (but I love real almonds)

The only one of those that actually makes me nauseous is cumin. It smells like B.O. And tastes like B.O. So do raw red onions, but for some reason they're not quite nauseating.

DJ Motorbike
12-04-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm not a very picky eater, but I tried a sort of breakfast cereal called Kashi once. I regularly eat Oatmeal - plain, but I found that eating Kashi was like eating hardened dust. It was too blan for my palate.

As long as beer is being bashed - I hate any liqueur that is sweet and/or mixed with soda-pop. I won't drink the swill. Give me an Old Milwaukee any day.

Cisco
12-04-2006, 10:23 PM
I hate banana flavor
Yes. It doesn't even vaguely resemble the taste of bananas, either. WTF?

Guinastasia
12-04-2006, 10:26 PM

What do you care-that just means more for you, while I'll sit over here and sip my Harvey's Bristol Cream.

OpalCat
12-04-2006, 10:34 PM
I used to have to leave the house when my mom cooked salmon.

The thing you have to understand is that I have certain expectations of things in the "beverage" category. With the exception of water (and that is something I only learned to drink in my mid-20s) to me a beverage must be sweet. In the same way that a cake must be sweet, or ice cream must be sweet. Imagine unsweetened ice cream. Nasty, right? Not everything has to be sweet but certain categories of digestibles require it. For me, beverages fall into that. An unsweetened beverage is as unfathomable as salty, unsweetened ice cream would be. There are exactly ZERO things, with the already-mentioned exception of water, that I find drinkable that aren't sweet.

Beer has a grody taste, but I maybe could get past that if it were at least sweet. (And yes, I've tried the supposedly "sweet" beers. Puhleese. You haven't seen me putting shovels-ful of sugar in tea or coffee or you wouldn't be insulting me by calling that "sweet".)

Cisco
12-04-2006, 10:46 PM
To each their own, I guess. I'm not a beer snob, and I end up drinking as much American macro-brew as anything else ("fucking close to water"), but I will say that I did not fall in love with beer until a trip to Europe when I was 17. Sure, I drank beer before then, but it was only to catch a buzz with my friends. Now if I want to socialize, I'll drink American beer, if I want to party I'll drink liquor, but if I want something positively delicious with a meal or just by itself in a glass, I'll drink a good import or micro-brew.

Beer is an acquired taste, but you'll instantly fall in love with the right beer.

Scarlett67
12-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Forgot to mention that I'm highly amused by the presence of Chum in this thread.

Carry on!

pulykamell
12-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Well, so far I've only found one foodstuff--and I use that word loosely--that almost made me wretch: surstromming, a Swedish fermented herring. I've posted about it on these boards before, and I've eaten a lot of strong-tasting weird stuff, but this goes beyond everything I was expecting. It smelled and tasted like death, for lack of better description. when I opened the bloated can (the can expands from the gasses trapped in the fermentation processes) on my stoop, flies surrounded me in literally seconds. (And I mean literally, not figuratively). Imagine the worst dog fart you've ever smelled and cross that with the scent of a rotting corpse, and you're in the general ballpark of surstromming. Vile, vile stuff.

Also, when I first had an eyeball taco, I did gag a little (much to my disappointment), as I was not expecting it to consist of an actual whole eyeball (I assumed they would chop it up). It was a little gross to see lunch looking up at you, but the taste was unobjectionable if a bit disappointing.

Diceman
12-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Nope. Not me :) I'm in the Anderson area.

I am glad to see a few other anti-banana people here. I usually get the :dubious: when I state my hatred of them.
We need to start the Society of Banana Haters. Or maybe the Bananas Are Repulsive Foundation (BARF). I am the only person I know who doesn't like them. Like Stillwell Angel, I tend to get strange looks from people when I say this, like I had just stated that I'm hearing voices, or I'm being visited by space aliens, or something. I've tried to eat a banana a couple of times, but they make me gag. Literally. I think it's the smell the makes me retch. Also, they have a mushy texture that I don't like; it's like eating cold mashed potatoes, without the gravy. Dried banana chips are the only way I've ever been able to eat this fruit, and even then I can only eat a few chips at a time.

OpalCat
12-05-2006, 12:24 AM
but you'll instantly fall in love with the right beer.
Unless they have beer that is about as sweet as root beer, I really, really doubt it. On a particularly good day I can tolerate a white zinfandel wine, but even that I prefer mixed half and half with ginger ale or sprite.

(Yeah, I'm a heathen... so?)

My favorite drink is a buttery nipple.

pulykamell
12-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Unless they have beer that is about as sweet as root beer, I really, really doubt it. On a particularly good day I can tolerate a white zinfandel wine, but even that I prefer mixed half and half with ginger ale or sprite.

Some of the Belgian fruit-flavored lambics might be up your alley. I wouldn't say they're root beer sweet, but they're sweet & sour with none of the hop bitterness associated with regular beer. Lindemann's Framboise (raspberry) or Kriek (sour cherry) would be a good bet.

Lissla Lissar
12-05-2006, 08:06 AM
I don't like fish, but it doesn't usually make me nauseous. Don't like bananas either, but ditto. I'm getting over my hatred of cilantro.

Nutmeg in cream sauce. That makes me throw up. And pumpkin cheesecake.

Weird.

GargoyleWB
12-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Ham. The only thing in the world that I can't tolerate is ham. The mere smell of a ham cooking sparks a gag reflex in me.

OpalCat
12-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Some of the Belgian fruit-flavored lambics might be up your alley. I wouldn't say they're root beer sweet, but they're sweet & sour with none of the hop bitterness associated with regular beer. Lindemann's Framboise (raspberry) or Kriek (sour cherry) would be a good bet.
My boyfriend is a beer guy. He completed the Winking Lizard Tavern "2006 Tour of Beers" last month--you get a list of 100 beers and you have to have one of each of them and they keep track in their computer. He's had me taste many, many beers. I've had fruity beers. I've had beers that get served in wine glasses. I didn't like them. I can barely tolerate hard cider, if that is an indication.

velvetjones
12-05-2006, 01:17 PM
So far I like everything mentioned here that I've actually tried. (I don't think I've ever had fish sauce.)

The only thing I can ever remember eating that I would never try again is uni. We asked the sushi chef at our favorite local sushi joint what was his favorite and he gave us a free sample. Raw sea urchin. Completely revolting both in taste and texture. Never again.

And usually I love salty, fishy things. Sardines, anchovies, smoked oysters oh, heck any kind of smoked fish, caviar, I love all of it but I just couldn't take the sea urchin

silenus
12-05-2006, 01:46 PM
I want to be with all of you people when the Apocalypse comes. That way, I'll get to eat, while the rest of you starve among plenty. Unless you can live on Brussel Sprouts, which I won't touch. Everything else sounds just yummy! I'll eat just about anything that doesn't eat me first, and some that will! :D

pulykamell
12-05-2006, 01:46 PM
My boyfriend is a beer guy. He completed the Winking Lizard Tavern "2006 Tour of Beers" last month--you get a list of 100 beers and you have to have one of each of them and they keep track in their computer. He's had me taste many, many beers. I've had fruity beers. I've had beers that get served in wine glasses. I didn't like them. I can barely tolerate hard cider, if that is an indication.

Yeah, hard cider is probably the closest to the sweet-sour flavor profile of lambic. If you don't like that, I guess there isn't anything you'll like.

pulykamell
12-05-2006, 01:51 PM
The only thing I can ever remember eating that I would never try again is uni. We asked the sushi chef at our favorite local sushi joint what was his favorite and he gave us a free sample. Raw sea urchin. Completely revolting both in taste and texture. Never again.

Uni is one of those things that apparently can be all over the map. Bad uni is supposed to be revolting. Good uni is supposedly like gold. I've only had it once, and it was completely unobjectionable: creamy, buttery, tasting of the sea, but not at all the strong flavor I've heard about from people who hate the stuff. So perhaps you just had some subpar uni?

OpalCat
12-05-2006, 04:29 PM
I want to be with all of you people when the Apocalypse comes. That way, I'll get to eat, while the rest of you starve among plenty. Unless you can live on Brussel Sprouts, which I won't touch. Everything else sounds just yummy! I'll eat just about anything that doesn't eat me first, and some that will! :D
I could totally live on Brussels sprouts. They're YUMMY. I have loved them since I was a kid. Dunno what you're on about. Here, trade you this nasty ass beer for those Brussels sprouts, how's that for a deal?

silenus
12-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Done! I could live on beer and bread for quite a long time. Or I could use the beer to make a stew out of most of the other stuff people in this thread are revolted by.

Guinastasia
12-05-2006, 06:00 PM
I don't mind beer used to cook things, but it's just not something I enjoy. It doesn't make me gag, but I'm not fond of it.

My dad has a recipe for bread though that consists of beer and flour. That's it, I think.

Here Opal, you can have some of my Harvey's.

OpalCat
12-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Ok another one that grosses me out. Well, it's more of a category than a specific food:

custard or pudding

With custard it's both the texture and the flavor that are alarmingly barforific, but with pudding it's pretty much all about the texture, as I'm almost able to enjoy chocolate pudding. For about two bites. Before the slimy, phlegmy texture makes me start to gag.

Who_me?
12-05-2006, 10:35 PM
The only food that sets off my gag reflex is raw celery and that is mostly a texture thing.

On the other hand, many of the things I eat makes other people nauseous. Among other things, my mother can never watch me eat steak or fried eggs when I visit her... I like my steak blue and my fried eggs with the white still slightly runny and she eats hers burned. ;)

Asgardking
12-06-2006, 05:48 AM
The only food that sets off my gag reflex is raw celery and that is mostly a texture thing.

On the other hand, many of the things I eat makes other people nauseous. Among other things, my mother can never watch me eat steak or fried eggs when I visit her... I like my steak blue and my fried eggs with the white still slightly runny and she eats hers burned. ;)

My ex's family wouldn't eat steak with me because I like mine medium rare. They kept telling me it was raw. Of course these were the same people who tried to tell me venison was not only edible, but good.

Infovore
12-06-2006, 11:50 AM
For me, it's:

Apricots and peaches. Eeww...sicky-sweet *and* slimy!
Tomatoes. The taste, the texture, the smell...I hate everything about them.
Mustard.
Pickles.
Mayonnaise (I don't mind it in very small quantities on sandwiches--small as in "spread so thin that you can barely see it) but if I get a clump of it...bleah!
Milk, unless it's in something else (like a milkshake) or icy cold so you can't taste the icky milkiness of it.

light strand
12-06-2006, 12:18 PM
I'll pretty much eat anything that isn't actively moving. However there are two items which make me nauseous:

1. Peanut butter. The smell, the texture, the everything. It's just ...ick.
2. Tequila. I suppose this is somewhat self-explanatory. Got sick once, can't stand it now.

Anne Neville
12-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Bananas. I hate banana flavor, but even more than that, I hate the texture.
Stewed tomatoes. They look like bloody vomit.
Split pea soup. It looks and smells like green diarrhea.
Chunks of fat on the edge of meat. I absolutely have to cut it off any meat before I eat it.
Anything that's too greasy. Any sauce with oil separated from it is, by definition, too greasy.
Butter, unless spread thinly enough so that it melts. Unmelted butter is greasy and disgusting.
I might be able to sit at the same table as someone eating a cheesesteak sub these days, but that wasn't the case for a long time. I ate one, and got really, really sick from it (think Bathroom Kobayashi Maru (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=398172)), and couldn't stand the smell of them for a long time after that.
Organ meats. The worst one I've ever encountered was breaded beef brains, which my grandfather ate 20 years ago (thinking about it still makes me nauseous).

Milk, unless it's in something else (like a milkshake) or icy cold so you can't taste the icky milkiness of it.

I'm not the only one! My grandparents used to keep milk out on the table, and when it wasn't right-from-the-fridge cold, it developed a terrible off taste that seemingly only I could taste- no one else in my family seemed to know why I objected to it so much. Skim milk seems less prone to this than any other kind of milk, so skim is the only kind I will drink.

Wine - again, the smell is enough and the taste is liquid evil; I don't drink anything else that's gone bad, why should I want to drink soured grape juice!

You're right- it has gone bad. You should buy up as much of it as you can, to save others from it, and send it to me. I will dispose of it in a safe manner :D

It would be really nice if Chum or jali sent me some bleu cheese, to dispose of at the same time...

Gridnak
12-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Oysters on the half shell give me the willies. I think it's mostly a texture thing, but the thought of that big slimely glump sliding down my throat...gah <shudder>.

Anne Neville
12-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Oysters on the half shell give me the willies. I think it's mostly a texture thing, but the thought of that big slimely glump sliding down my throat...gah <shudder>.

Oh yeah.

I'll add a few more:

Anything that is alive when I eat it. Just the thought of that makes me go ICK!!! (The oyster thing made me think of that- some people, disgusting as that is to me, eat live oysters)

Lard. The thought of lard squicked me out long before I started keeping kosher.

(Yeah, I'm a heathen... so?)

A public-service warning to wine drinkers: DO NOT take people like this wine tasting. They won't like anything they try, you will end up drinking their wine as well as yours, and you may have to be carried out.

OpalCat
12-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Oh I wouldn't go to a wine tasting. I dislike most red wines and all dry wines... so I'd maybe like... one or two things

slaphead
12-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Hmmmm. I guess I really must be pretty unfussy. The only thing that will actively make me feel queasy is lots of animal fat, such as the rind on bacon or a steak, or really sludgy fat lamb. Other than that I'm OK even with totally bizarre things like the 'cajun black pudding' I encountered in our paris canteen the other week. Not normal black pudding, but little things like miniature haggises, consisting of (I think) intestine, stuffed with spiced blood-flour mix and boiled. The casings were sort of rubbery and slimy and the contents had the texture of a soft turd. I was a bit :confused: since I was expecting something more like english black pudding, so I only ate half my portion.

Surstromming has been on my to-try list for a while though - I was wondering if it would do well with a roquefort garnish. What do you reckon, pulykamell :D

The Chao Goes Mu
12-07-2006, 09:36 AM
I'm not an incredibly picky eater but the things that can make me hork just by thinking about them are:

Limburger cheese (I'd rather eat a three month old exhumed corpse)

Spam (WTF is that shit? Mom used to make it every friday with rice and peas. I think she was trying to kill us)

Sweet Gerkins (I can't explain it but the smell alone makes my stomach try to claw its way out of my body)

Licentious Ectomorph
12-07-2006, 10:14 AM
I should've looked for a cite before I posted, because Merriam-Webster actually comments on your mistaken assertion. I've never seen them do that before.

Bolding mine.

The dictionary reflects popular useage; it is not a grammar handbook. The fact that a mistaken useage or pronunciation makes it into the dictionary does not make it correct.

According to Woe is I: the Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English by Patricia T. O'Connor, the difference between nauseated and nauseous is "the difference between sick and sickening. You are made sick (nauseated) by something sickening (nauseous). Never say 'I'm nauseous.' Even if it is true, it's not something you should admit. 'I'm nauseated by that nauseous cigar!' said Ethel."

I read elsewhere (I don't remember where now) that a person who is nauseated is not nauseous any more than a person who has been poisoned is poisonous.

pulykamell
12-07-2006, 11:19 AM
When was the last time you heard anyone say "I feel nauseated"? I've never heard that usage (even though I know the word and understand some apparently have objections).

Also:

—Usage note The two literal senses of nauseous, “causing nausea” (a nauseous smell) and “affected with nausea” (to feel nauseous), appear in English at almost the same time in the early 17th century, and both senses are in standard use at the present time. Nauseous is more common than nauseated in the sense “affected with nausea,” despite recent objections by those who imagine the sense to be new. In the sense “causing nausea,” either literally or figuratively, nauseating has become more common than nauseous: a nauseating smell.

from Random House Dictionary (2006)/Dictionary.com

I'm sorry, but the word was apparently used in both senses when it was coined, and it the more popular of two for describing being affected with nausea, so why in the world would I want to go with some grammarian's notion of what is right and what is wrong, when that notion was wrong even in the 17th century?

Anne Neville
12-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Other than that I'm OK even with totally bizarre things like the 'cajun black pudding' I encountered in our paris canteen the other week. Not normal black pudding, but little things like miniature haggises, consisting of (I think) intestine, stuffed with spiced blood-flour mix and boiled. The casings were sort of rubbery and slimy and the contents had the texture of a soft turd. I was a bit :confused: since I was expecting something more like english black pudding, so I only ate half my portion.

I'm going to add "anything in which blood is an ingredient" to my list. Also anything slimy or rubbery, and that has a texture reminiscent of any kind of turd, soft or otherwise. *hork*

I was going to go get lunch, but now I think I won't. In fact, I should print out that description, for when I actually get serious about trying to go on a diet. *horrk*

silenus or anyone else is welcome to be around me if the apocalypse comes. But you might want to stay upwind, as I am going to be eating a lot of brussels sprouts, and they give me WMD-caliber gas.

Guinastasia
12-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Isn't black pudding made with blood anyways?

rowrrbazzle
12-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Gelatinous things such as head cheese or souse. I wouldn't even try eyeballs.

I've only had Korean food once and that was more than enough.

OTOH liver's okay, and I like steak and kidney pie when I can get it. Never had sweetbreads (brain, thymus, pancreas).

I've had blood sausage, not crazy about it, but it wasn't nauseating. I've also had czernina, Polish duck's blood soup. It's diluted with broth, and sugar, vinegar and dried fruit are added, and it's really not bad at all.

pulykamell
12-07-2006, 09:34 PM
I've only had Korean food once and that was more than enough.

What did you have? I find it difficult to believe that somebody would not like bulgogi and general Korean barbecue, especially if you have no objection to czernina and organs.

SmartAleq
12-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Beef liver, oh GAWD is that nasty! It's all full of gross huge veins and the texture--it feels like it's trying to spackle your teeth together. I can handle chicken, duck or pork liver made into pate, but keep that beef liver the fuck away from me. Kidneys too, because they always smell like urine no matter how you cook the things. I don't believe it's a good idea to eat anything that made its living filtering pee, sorry.

Peas are horrifying. I grew snow peas this year and they are fabulous, all sweet and crunchy, but when they get out of hand and actually have peas inside them it's all hell naw.

Raw tomatoes, can't do it. Love tomatoes every way in the world except raw--they have a musky, spoiled taste to them that along with the snotty seeds just gets the old gag reflex into high gear.

Raw shellfish, not in my mouth! I gave up eating boogers in kindergarten and I ain't going back to it now.

White mushrooms--they're snotty too when they're cooked and have a nasty flavor. I can only handle crimini or portabellas.

Rice pudding. It's like pasty goo with dead flies in it or something.

Mayonnaise tastes spoiled. I can barely stomach a freshly made mayonnaise that's flavored correctly and used sparingly, but I've even gotten to the point where I make potato salad with sour cream because I can't handle the mayonnaise.

Kim chi--can't get it past my nose.

Asgardking--I've noticed that most people really, SEVERELY, overcook venison and it is nasty like that. I take little brochettes, wrap them in butcher shop bacon (nice and lean) and then grill them until they're just past blue and tender enough to cut with a fork. That's some good stuff.

Asgardking
12-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Asgardking--I've noticed that most people really, SEVERELY, overcook venison and it is nasty like that. I take little brochettes, wrap them in butcher shop bacon (nice and lean) and then grill them until they're just past blue and tender enough to cut with a fork. That's some good stuff.

Why not skip the middleman and just eat the bacon?

slaphead
12-08-2006, 04:29 AM
Isn't black pudding made with blood anyways?
Yeah, but it's usually made into something reasonably firm, that you can cut into slices (http://www.mirandala.org/images/black_pud.jpg), hence my surprise. I'm going to blame it all on a bizarre kitchen brain fart - maybe they boiled when they should have grilled, or something.

Abby_Emma_Sasha
12-08-2006, 06:57 AM
I love my eggs with the yokes quite runny so I may dip my toast into them. I have made more than a few people nauseous (adj.) when watching me do this.

The Chao Goes Mu
12-08-2006, 09:14 AM
It's funny how psychological our taste in food is. I used to be the pickiest most squeemish eater. I drove my Mom nuts as a child. I hated everything, especially meat. Then as a teenager I became a vegetarian and remained one for 17 years. At the time, vegetarianism in the midwest was rare and finding food that catered to my diet was difficult so I was forced to get creative with my menu. This allowed me to try different things that in the past would've made me hurl. But hey, I had to eat so I started getting adventurous. Then I started eating fish into my 12th year of being a veggie. All kinds of fish were shoveled into my gullet. Squid, shark, oysters, & raw sushi. I found that I liked it. I would also, in spite of being a vegetarian, try a bite of a meat if it's something I never had before. The way I saw it was, flesh is flesh. What difference does it make if it's a buffalo, cow, deer, or alligator? The only difference was taste. I'm not a big fan of the taste of chicken or turkey but I love alligator. I'll try anything once. Well, I'm not a vegetarian anymore and I'm also not at all squeemish about what's on my dinner plate. I certainly do understand the squick factor when it comes to the aroma and texture of foods. I used to throw up just about every night after dinner when I was a kid. Thank Og I got over all that because I luurrve food now.

Jeez, sorry that was so winded. I don't know what got into me. I think I'm hungry. :)

Abby_Emma_Sasha
12-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Continuing Chao's hijack(sorry):

I think a lot of what we hated as kids was peer pressure or whatever the equivalent is when you're a child. As a six year old I hated peas and green beans because other kids did. I think that was what I was supposed to do. So I would not eat them. Nor black eyed peas or any beans. They were yucky. Right?

Well, when I became an adult, or a reasonable facimile thereof, I loved peas and green beans and broccoli and other stuff kids hate. I couldn't imagine why I hated this yummy foodstuff in my youth. That's when it hit me: You hated it because the other kids did and you wanted to be accepted. I wonder how many of mmy little friends did it for the same reason.

I am proud to say I still eat peas , broccoli, and green beans almost daily.

SmartAleq
12-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Why not skip the middleman and just eat the bacon?

Oh, I eat the bacon too--there's something about the semi crisped bacon enveloping that nice rich venison that is just the epitome of carnivorous joy... Gotta have garlic in there somewhere as well, and sometimes a sprig of rosemary in the middle, yumm...

Martha Medea
12-08-2006, 03:25 PM
One I forgot was tomatoes without pepper. I love tomatoes in all shape and form, but serve me a salad which contains tomatoes but no pepper, and no pepper is available, I can hardly force them down.

mlees
12-08-2006, 03:55 PM
As a former member of the Navy, you hear about Balut from our Philippino comrades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut

zelie zelerton
12-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Well I am intolerant to egg and olive oil so they actually make me throw up.

As for foods I just can't bear, those would be the ones I mentally classify as 'mushy stuff'. Bananas, mangos, beans. Any kind of beans or legumes actually - I can't stand to have them in my mouth. :hurling smiley:

dwc1970
12-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Bananas- Oh so mushy, blech! I do, however, like banana bread, so it's a texture thing for me.
Mayonnaise- Most vile concoction anyone could ever put on a sandwich, unless it's mixed in with tuna, then it's fine.
Cole slaw- To eat it would be like to re-eat one's own vomit.
Canteloupe- Not a major puke-inducer, but it doesn't sit well on my taste buds.
Cottage cheese- People actually eat this shit?!
Sauerkraut- I could hardly stomach watching my dad fork this crap into his mouth.
Peas- My mother tried to get me to eat them once. In 1973. For about 20 minutes. Really!
Kimchi (or however the hell it's spelled)- I have a friend who devours this stuff. To me it smells like the contents of a three-days unflushed toilet.
Soggy cereal- Guaranteed to make me hurl spectacularly.
Fat/gristle- I'd rather chew day-old gum whose flavor has expired (as long as it was mine to begin with).

rowrrbazzle
12-08-2006, 06:18 PM
What did you have? I find it difficult to believe that somebody would not like bulgogi and general Korean barbecue, especially if you have no objection to czernina and organs.I really don't remember. I think octopus was involved, among other things. It definitely wasn't barbecue; I think I'd like that.

I'm not crazy about organ meats in general. As I said, liver's okay (as long as it isn't cooked into leather), but I haven't had it for years.

I ate raw oysters when I was younger, but again, not for years. I've had sashimi twice. That's another food that wasn't nauseating, but I'm not interested in trying it again.

People don't like hard-boiled eggs with mayonnaise? I used to eat them all the time. Now I rarely eat eggs and have eliminated the mayo because of the excess fat.

De gustibus.

pulykamell
12-08-2006, 06:49 PM
I really don't remember. I think octopus was involved, among other things. It definitely wasn't barbecue; I think I'd like that.

Well, if you do try it (and I recommend you do), try Hae Woon Dae on 6204 N. California in Chicago. Scroll down here (http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3233&highlight=hae+woon+dae) and you can see pictures of the live coals and the meat. I think Korean is actually quite a good cuisine to suit a wide range of palates: for the less experimental, you can't go wrong with the marinated barbecued thinly sliced beef, pork, or even chicken (bulgogi). For more experimental eaters, there's of course stuff like raw crabs, yook hwe (a beef tartare-concoction with raw eggs), and the various banchan (the great range of appetizers you get before a meal, ranging from seaweed to kim chi, fishcakes, mushrooms, seafood-vegetable pancakes, etc...)

And Korean cuisine actually features my favorite stew/soup in the world: kim chi jjigae, although you have to really like kim chi to enjoy that one.

Aguecheek
12-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Seafood. Seafood seafood seafood.

Salmon, clam chowder, crab cakes, fish sticks, caviar, oysters, goldfish crackers...Everything's got that nasty indescribable...fishy taste and smell. If I had a freaking nickel for every time someone's said "just try this one...! It's so well done, you can't taste the fish! Only badly made foods have that fishy taste! This is so rich and flaky, you'll love it!" Why, I'd have a lot of nickels, I would. Makes me want to puke and scrape my tongue within an inch of its life. I have to hold my breath walking past the fresh fish section of the grocery store.

Oddly, I used to kind of like clam chowder and fish sticks. My aversion's gotten worse as I've aged.

Carm6773
12-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Peas are the devil's handiwork, I tell you. It's like popping pimples in your mouth. Split pea soup? Got two words for you: THE EXORCIST.

I also can't stand:
lima beans/butter beans
wax/pole beans, but I like green beans
peppers (like the taste, can't actually eat them)
okra
oysters and mussels, but I like clams
eggplant
squash
celery
cabbage/sauerkraut (which is hard when you're German)
anise or licorice
anything banana or orange flavored, but I like bananas and oranges
pears
guava
greens (mustard, turnip, collard, kale), but I like spinach
organ meats
frog legs.

Most of these are because of the texture.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
12-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Baked/Boiled Ham, especially if served with mac & cheese.

Mom served it too often in the 70s & 80s.

Blea.

lizardling
12-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Bananas. I read ingredient labels on smoothies to make damn sure there isn't any puree in there. Because I CAN TOO TASTE IT.

*shudder*

Asgardking
12-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Continuing Chao's hijack(sorry):

I think a lot of what we hated as kids was peer pressure or whatever the equivalent is when you're a child. As a six year old I hated peas and green beans because other kids did. I think that was what I was supposed to do. So I would not eat them. Nor black eyed peas or any beans. They were yucky. Right?

Well, when I became an adult, or a reasonable facimile thereof, I loved peas and green beans and broccoli and other stuff kids hate. I couldn't imagine why I hated this yummy foodstuff in my youth. That's when it hit me: You hated it because the other kids did and you wanted to be accepted. I wonder how many of mmy little friends did it for the same reason.

I am proud to say I still eat peas , broccoli, and green beans almost daily.

My daughter loved broccoli when she was little. I even once got her to clean her room by promising her some when she was done.

She started school and wouldn't touch the stuff. She learned from the other kids she wasn't suppossed to like it.

Cisco
12-08-2006, 11:45 PM
I had no idea so many people hated bananas. They're my favorite fruit!

Diceman
12-08-2006, 11:47 PM
Bananas- Oh so mushy, blech! I do, however, like banana bread, so it's a texture thing for me.
Mayonnaise- Most vile concoction anyone could ever put on a sandwich, unless it's mixed in with tuna, then it's fine.
Cole slaw- To eat it would be like to re-eat one's own vomit.
Canteloupe- Not a major puke-inducer, but it doesn't sit well on my taste buds.
Cottage cheese- People actually eat this shit?!
Sauerkraut- I could hardly stomach watching my dad fork this crap into his mouth.
Peas- My mother tried to get me to eat them once. In 1973. For about 20 minutes. Really!
Kimchi (or however the hell it's spelled)- I have a friend who devours this stuff. To me it smells like the contents of a three-days unflushed toilet.
Soggy cereal- Guaranteed to make me hurl spectacularly.
Fat/gristle- I'd rather chew day-old gum whose flavor has expired (as long as it was mine to begin with).

Now that you mention it, I also hate mayonaise. Whenever I get a burger or sandwich, I make sure that they're not planning to put mayo on it.

I'm totally with you on cottage cheese. I don't know if I hate it or not, because I've never had the guts to eat any. Call me wierd, but one of my dietary requirements is that my food must not look like something that's been sitting at the back of the fridge for the last year.

Scubaqueen
12-11-2006, 04:00 PM
add me to the cilantro/bananas list, altho i'll eat a banana if it's found in ONLY the following two conditions:
1. green.
2. crunchy.

otherwise it gets tossed out the back door for the birds.

cilantro should be banned from this time/space continuum immediately if not sooner.

raw cherrystone oysters are fine. god did not intend oysters of any kind to be found in stuffing, ever. ew ew EW!

cooked carrots. what's THAT about? gross. gross. gross. they should always be raw.

chicken that has been poorly trimmed. fat or gristle or those chewy stringy things finding their way into my mouthful of chicken automatically guarantees that that mouthful will be ejected into a napkin postehaste. any more i do my own chicken and have stopped ordering it in restaurants.

lima beans. god's way of punishing us.

black licorice. now that's the devil working overtime!!

undercooked bacon. when whatsherface on desperate housewives started pounding down the raw bacon, i had to leave the room until the divemaster said it was safe to return.