PDA

View Full Version : Flushed Away -- Great Movie!

Rodgers01
12-03-2006, 03:40 PM
I didn't see a thread on this movie before (aside from this (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=383985) one talking about the production of the movie before it was released). I saw the movie this afternoon, and it was great! Ten times better than "Happy Feet," and with more humor, action, and adventure than any movie I've seen in the theater for quite a while. To be honest, I liked it even better than the same studio's "Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Wererabbit," and far better than "Chicken Run." I also thought it was better than "Cars" -- Aardman out-Pixared Pixar with this one. I'm putting my money on it for Best Animated Feature when awards time rolls around. If you haven't seen it yet, go now before it disappears from the theaters!

mobo85
12-03-2006, 04:42 PM
I saw it. I didn't like it as much as Aardman's work with Wallace and Gromit, but it had its own charm. I liked the references to some of their previous works in the opening scenes with Roddy alone in his house.

Among the toys in the girl's room are stuffed animals of Gromit, the Curse rabbits, and Alex from Madagascar (a DreamWorks film- this film was co-produced by DreamWorks and Aardman). Chicken Run can be seen among the DVDs, and Roddy's wardrobe includes a green sweater similar to Wallace's and a Wolverine costume (a reference to one of Hugh Jackman's most famous roles.) Later on in the film, a magnet of Wallace wearing the Wrong Trousers can be seen on The Toad's fridge.

Rodgers01
12-03-2006, 06:01 PM
I saw it. I didn't like it as much as Aardman's work with Wallace and Gromit, but it had its own charm. I liked the references to some of their previous works in the opening scenes with Roddy alone in his house.

Among the toys in the girl's room are stuffed animals of Gromit, the Curse rabbits, and Alex from Madagascar (a DreamWorks film- this film was co-produced by DreamWorks and Aardman). Chicken Run can be seen among the DVDs, and Roddy's wardrobe includes a green sweater similar to Wallace's and a Wolverine costume (a reference to one of Hugh Jackman's most famous roles.) Later on in the film, a magnet of Wallace wearing the Wrong Trousers can be seen on The Toad's fridge.
Yeah, there were tons of references like that in this movie; I suspect this movie will benefit from repeat viewings.

I'm really kind of mystified that this movie didn't do better at the American box office. IMHO it was far better than the more leaden, preachy "Happy Feet," but "Happy Feet" is still number one at the box office, for something like the second week. They have identical ratings on RottenTomatoes (79% fresh), and near identical ratings on IMDB (6.9 for Happy Feet, 7.0 for Flushed Away), but "Flushed Away" seems to have flopped. I wonder why?

Chanteuse
12-03-2006, 09:57 PM
I thought this was a really fun movie and my kids and I laughed ourselves sick! We saw Happy Feet last night, and I agree that it wasn't as good as Flushed Away! Oh, it was OK, but even my kids liked Roddy better than Mumble!

Mangetout
12-09-2006, 06:14 PM
I just saw this movie today; I went in with nagging reservations (chiefly that Dreamworks would have impinged too much on the Aardman style, and that CGI, as opposed to claymation, would have marred it) - But I loved every minute of it, and laughed out loud in lots of places.

There were many of what I consider 'perfect comic moments' in the film, and the slugs were just outstanding.

mobo85
12-09-2006, 09:22 PM
and that CGI, as opposed to claymation

Nitpick: clay animation. Claymation® (with a capital "C") is a registered trademark of Laika Entertainment.

DrDeth
12-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Happy Feet was better, IMHO. But I loved the singing slugs in Flushed.

Mangetout
12-11-2006, 04:37 AM
Nitpick: clay animation. Claymation® (with a capital "C") is a registered trademark of Laika Entertainment.
Thanks, but like Hoover and Styrofoam, I think this one has become a generic term.

teemingONE
12-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Did you guys catch the frozen Han Solo mouse in the freezer? It seemed like a very easy joke but I was still very excited when they had it.

Kizarvexius
12-11-2006, 02:05 PM
I've taken Kizarvexilla (who just turned 8) to see Flushed Away twice now. And both times we laughed hard enough to cause internal injuries. The first time out, I really wasn't expecting much. I only knew that I love most of Aardman's productions and I'd gladly pay to listen to Kate Winslet read the phone book. But DAMN, that was funny. My only issue with it (not that this is the filmmakers' fault, mind you) was the fact that Kizarvexilla kept nudging me and demanding that I explain the 17,284,529 jokes that flew over her head. Sorry, child, you'll just have to find out for yourself who Tom Jones is.

Kizarvexius
02-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Resurrecting this thread because I watched Flushed Away on DVD last night for the third time (which makes it my fifth viewing) and I'm still laughing my ass off. I just may have to watch it again tonight with the remote in hand, hitting pause every fifth frame to catch all the subtle in-jokes.

That this movie did not fare well at the U.S. box office is either a shameful statement about the American moviegoing public or a firm reminder that I don't come anywhere close to the standard profile of that particular demographic. Or, indeed, both.

"I find everyone's pain funny except my own -- I'm French!" - Le Frog

Rube E. Tewesday
02-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Just chiming in to say that I saw this with my six year old, who loved it. He also liked Happy Feet, and I'm not sure which, if either, he preferred, but personally I thought Flushed Away was more fun and less preachy.

Rodgers01
02-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Resurrecting this thread because I watched Flushed Away on DVD last night for the third time (which makes it my fifth viewing) and I'm still laughing my ass off. I just may have to watch it again tonight with the remote in hand, hitting pause every fifth frame to catch all the subtle in-jokes.

That this movie did not fare well at the U.S. box office is either a shameful statement about the American moviegoing public or a firm reminder that I don't come anywhere close to the standard profile of that particular demographic. Or, indeed, both.

"I find everyone's pain funny except my own -- I'm French!" - Le Frog
I'm so glad you like it! Re-reading my OP, I was a bit surprised how enthusiastic I was for it, but reading your post confirms my initial high opinion. I might just have to pick this one up on DVD.

I've just now realized that "Flushed Away" was not nominated for Best Animated Picture. This movie was ROBBED -- it at least deserves a nomination. I've seen all the nominees in that category, and "Flushed Away" is, IMHO, far better than the eye-rollingly preachy "Happy Feet," and better than the fun-but-ultimately-nothing-special "Monster House." I'd have to see "Cars" again before I give a decision on that one, but I remember thinking it was a lesser Pixar effort, and was coasting on the high reputation of its predecessors.

Robbed, I tell ya, robbed!!!

Equipoise
02-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Robbed, I tell ya, robbed!!!

You've got that right. Dreamworks dumped Aardman, probably because this movie flopped. I am Pixar's bitch, but I liked this movie better than Cars too. My husband and I saw it twice in the theater and it held up very well the 2nd time. I have to get the DVD. My favorite part was the mime with the video cell phone. If I tried to describe it for people who haven't seen it I wouldn't do it justice at all. It's just something that has to be seen. Classic.

hijack, but also in the 'family movies that people bitch about that they don't make anymore but they do but the people who bitch don't go to see them' department, Duma. Just....Duma! Another great movie that died at the box office because the people who bitch that they don't make movies like that anymore didn't go to see it because they were too busy bitching that they don't make movies like that anymore. See also: The Great Raid, not a family movie but one of those old fashioned ripping good story movies, The Good German, and maybe, The Astronaut Farmer (it's too early to tell if that's going to flop).

merrily
02-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Well, let me guess why it didn't do so well.

The commercials made it look like a kid's movie about talking poop.

I didn't even know it was Aardman, which would have caught my attention.

Reading this thread, I want to see it now. But the commercials made me want to run away screaming from the fascination with bathroom humor that is a major theme in most kid film these days.

mobo85
02-23-2007, 07:01 PM
The commercials made it look like a kid's movie about talking poop.

Those are obviously slugs. Although there was a poop joke in the ads.

merrily
02-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Those are obviously slugs. Although there was a poop joke in the ads.
I didn't know exactly what they were. I didn't connect slugs and toilets.

I just think the title and the commercials chased people away. It did me, and now that I know more, I want to see it.

Equipoise
02-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Oh man, I just watched a trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD0hJplJdfw) on YouTube and it said "From the creators of Shrek and Madagascar" and not a word about Wallace and Gromit!! I never saw a trailer, I knew it was Aardman from the first day I heard about it, but if I hadn't known, yeah, I can see how it would look like a terrible movie, and how the slugs could look like turds. Christ! I take that back what I said. Now I understand why more people didn't go see it. One of the other trailers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFsDOWI3d-E) made it look like an animated version of "Ow! My Balls!" from Idiocracy!

I've rarely seen such horrible trailers for such a good movie, in my life! Heads should've rolled.

I didn't see any poop jokes though.

The slugs are just great, but you have to see them in the context of the movie and by the end you want some slug pets of your own. They just look stupid and annoying (and yeah, like poop) in the trailers. (Btw, the credits at the end give you even more wonderful slugs)

Damn!

Rodgers01
02-23-2007, 08:00 PM
My favorite part was the mime with the video cell phone. If I tried to describe it for people who haven't seen it I wouldn't do it justice at all. It's just something that has to be seen. Classic.Okay, you may have just convinced me to buy this on DVD. I had completely forgotten about this scene, but I'm laughing now just thinking about it.

Oh man, I just watched a trailer on YouTube and it said "From the creators of Shrek and Madagascar" and not a word about Wallace and Gromit!! I never saw a trailer, I knew it was Aardman from the first day I heard about it, but if I hadn't known, yeah, I can see how it would look like a terrible movie, and how the slugs could look like turds.
"Shrek" and "Madagascar"? Cripes -- it might have had some of the same "creators," but this is of a completely different lineage. (Not to mention that "Madagascar" sucked at worst, was only mildly entertaining at best.) They really should have emphasized the W&G connections. Yeah, I can see why people would stay away if they thought it was a doo-doo humored cousin to "Madagascar."

But it's NOT -- it's funny and clever and adventurous. I encourage Dopers to check it out.

mobo85
02-23-2007, 09:10 PM
I believe Flushed Away was a Dreamworks/Aardman co-production, which is why both companies are billed on the logo and the advertising states "From the creators of Shrek and Madagascar." It would have been wordier advertising, but it would have made more sense to emphasize both studios' achievements/work- that way, you pull in fans of both. Perhaps "Two Oscar-winnings studios join forces to bring you one wild adventure!" and then have on the screen while saying this "Dreamworks, producers of Shrek & Aardman, producers of Wallace & Gromit." I think that would have worked.

The poop joke that appears in some of the advertising has Roddy traveling through the sewers, reluctantly holding on to what appears to be a floating turd...which then shifts over to reveal that it's a candy bar.

JohnT
02-23-2007, 09:18 PM
I didn't see a thread on this movie before (aside from this (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=383985) one talking about the production of the movie before it was released). I saw the movie this afternoon, and it was great! Ten times better than "Happy Feet," and with more humor, action, and adventure than any movie I've seen in the theater for quite a while. To be honest, I liked it even better than the same studio's "Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Wererabbit," and far better than "Chicken Run." I also thought it was better than "Cars" -- Aardman out-Pixared Pixar with this one. I'm putting my money on it for Best Animated Feature when awards time rolls around. If you haven't seen it yet, go now before it disappears from the theaters!

You're serious?

I made a list of all the movies watched in 2006... reviewed it by checking the boxofficemojo list of top-150 movies...

and completely missed it, it was that forgettable.

Different strokes, different folks...

Rodgers01
02-23-2007, 09:47 PM
You're serious?

I made a list of all the movies watched in 2006... reviewed it by checking the boxofficemojo list of top-150 movies...

and completely missed it, it was that forgettable.

Different strokes, different folks...
Yep! Different strokes indeed. I think A. O. Scott's review (http://movies2.nytimes.com/2006/11/03/movies/03flus.html) summed up my feelings nicely.

Rodgers01
02-23-2007, 10:10 PM
On a minor note, on looking at that website, I'm surprised to learn that the movie was #41 for the US box office last year. Maybe low for a children's movie, but still higher than I'd expected -- higher, for example, than "Apocalypto," "Blood Diamond," "Snakes on a Plane," or "Stranger Than Fiction," all of which I'd thought were fairly successful (especially "Apocalypto"!). So maybe it's not the flop I'd thought it was?

Heffalump and Roo
02-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Based on the great reviews here, I just called several of my local Blockbuster video stores and none of the DVDs of Flushed Away were available for rent. So someone is watching it.

LorieSmurf
02-23-2007, 11:01 PM
Just a "me too" post. I loved it and laughed my ass off. One of the DVD extras was a Meet The Cast thingy, and though I wasn't too familiar with some of the names, I definitely knew all the faces. Very famous faces. I placed Jean Reno's voice right away, and I thought "Jean Reno does comedy. Who knew?"

He's probably done comedy before, I just haven't seen it. He was a riot! And the cell phone Marcel thing had my ribs hurting.

Spice Weasel
02-23-2007, 11:46 PM
You don't even understand--maybe couldn't understand--how much this slug meant to me. I mean... how much this movie meant to me. It was made with me in mind, certain of it.

One day I'm talking to my Aunt and she's like, "Wow, Christy, you need to know about this."
"Know about what, fair Auntie?"
"Um, there's a movie here--clay animation, you know? I'm pretty sure I'm looking at clay animation slugs."
"Did you say SLUGS???? In a movie????!!!"
"I'll send you more information as soon as I receive it."

So I went, just to see the slugs--because I love slugs. They squish, and I love things that squish. They're so great, I can't describe it. Please don't be afraid. I just love slugs, ever since I was a little girl and I used to kick over logs and poke at them (gently) with sticks. It's just who I am.

But I got SO MUCH more than ''just'' singing slugs. It was a fine movie, and a great movie, with classic comic moments. I didn't expect to be as taken with it as I was... what a great memory. Thanks for reminding me how much I enjoyed that.

Elendil's Heir
02-24-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm a big Aardman fan, and have seen everything Wallace & Gromit-related about a million times (we even recently got some Stinking Bishop cheese, just to see what it's like!). I've seen Chicken Run maybe three or four dozen times. But Flushed Away, although it had a few good laughs, underwhelmed me. I really, really wanted to like it, but it "wasn't all that," sorry to say. Our boys, also big W&G fans, felt much the same. The plot was by the numbers, and the irritation-turned-eventual-affection between the male and female rodent leads was, of course, preordained. Just left me feeling... meh.

What Exit?
02-24-2007, 12:33 AM
I'm a big Aardman fan, and have seen everything Wallace & Gromit-related about a million times (we even recently got some Stinking Bishop cheese, just to see what it's like!). I've seen Chicken Run maybe three or four dozen times. But Flushed Away, although it had a few good laughs, underwhelmed me. I really, really wanted to like it, but it "wasn't all that," sorry to say. Our boys, also big W&G fans, felt much the same. The plot was by the numbers, and the irritation-turned-eventual-affection between the male and female rodent leads was, of course, preordained. Just left me feeling... meh.
My kids liked it. The little guy, age 6 especially. I thought it was fairly good, nothing compared to any of the W&Gs but fairly good. Fun is the word I was groping for.

BTW, Wensleydale* is a truly excellent cheese with the bonus of both the W&G & Monty Python tie-in. How was the Stinking Bishop?

Jim

* Imported from Ford Farm by the local Delicious Orchards. Our top local place for cheese.

antechinus
02-24-2007, 04:04 AM
A hampter ate my post. Lets try again...

You've got that right. Dreamworks dumped Aardman, probably because this movie flopped. I am Pixar's bitch, but I liked this movie better than Cars too.....

Did this movie flop??!!?? It is such a well made and funny film - I am stunned. It must be one of the best computer animated films ever. Maybe only pipped by Shrek I. Flushed Away is crammed with jokes for both kids and grown-ups and the characters are warm and endearing. Unlike anything by Pixar, which has cold, uninteresting characters. Cars has very impressive CGI, but the characters and story are thin and dull.

Any ideas as to why it flopped?

ref (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer-animated_films)

Charlie Tan
02-24-2007, 05:13 AM
"Jean Reno does comedy. Who knew?"
I knew. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108500/) Just stay away from the remake they did, where everyone speaks English. You'll have to live with the subtitles viewing the French original, but it's worth it, IMO. Especially seeing Reno attack a Citroėn* wiht a sword.

*It might've been another French car. I just like typing Citroėn.

Flipstrip
02-24-2007, 09:05 AM
You don't even understand--maybe couldn't understand--how much this slug meant to me. I mean... how much this movie meant to me. It was made with me in mind, certain of it.

Being as you love the slugs so much, you might want to pick up a copy of "Flushed Away" at Best Buy -- you can get a free plush slug when you purchase a copy of the movie. So cute and so soft!

JThunder
02-24-2007, 09:25 AM
The commercials made it look like a kid's movie about talking poop.I have to agree with that. I didn't notice anything that resembled talking poop; however, it did look very much like a children's movie to me. That's why I had no interest in watching.

Spice Weasel
02-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Being as you love the slugs so much, you might want to pick up a copy of "Flushed Away" at Best Buy -- you can get a free plush slug when you purchase a copy of the movie. So cute and so soft!
Flipstrip, you just made my lifetime. Thank you SO much! *going tomorrow*

Elendil's Heir
02-24-2007, 06:38 PM
...How was the Stinking Bishop? ....

Haven't tried it yet, actually. We're waiting for a visit by my sister and her husband, who are also both big W&G fans. Since it's such a smelly cheese, we might wait until the spring, when we can enjoy it outside. "Don't forget the crackers!"

kath94
02-24-2007, 10:32 PM

I got mine yesterday. They were down to the last three: pink, green, blue. I wanted the green one, you know, for reality's sake, but he had a loose thread & was losing his mouth. So I have a pink screaming slug. He (she?) will go into my beanie cabinet.

Flipstrip
02-25-2007, 12:42 AM

My pleasure -- hope they have a great selection!

Flipstrip (who has a screaming green slug)

Baker
02-25-2007, 07:11 AM
olivesmarch4th, since you like slugs so much I've included two links, with differing mascot looks, of a school that might interest you.

a macho slug (http://www.goslugs.com/teams/volleyball/men/mvb.html)

a nerdy slug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_California,_Santa_Cruz)

DesertDog
02-25-2007, 09:44 PM
I knew. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108500/) Just stay away from the remake they did, where everyone speaks English. You'll have to live with the subtitles viewing the French original, but it's worth it, IMO. Especially seeing Reno attack a Citroėn* wiht a sword.Sigh. Too little, too late. I was gonna say see Les Visiteurs. And you're right: Stick to the French version.

At least I discovered one thing when I was IMDbing the movie for a link. Jean Reno is Porco Rosso's voice in the French version. Figures.

Scissorjack
08-04-2007, 03:40 AM
Bump. I just watched this on DVD with wife and kid to while away a rainy afternoon, to universal family acclaim. I was crying with laughter at some gags: the mime frog with the videophone is priceless, and the slug gags were brilliant - I loved the bit where the boat is going over the falls, and each slug is making a different "whoop whoop!" car alarm noise.

Much better than the lacklustre Cars, and better than the slightly disappointing Wallace And Gromit movie. A very British vibe to the humour, and I was really reminded of the anarchic glee of Dangermouse: the writers were Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais, a well-known English comedy writing team who go years back. I have to watch it again now to catch all the little sight gags that I missed - and to revel in Jean Reno's Le Frog.

jsgoddess
11-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Bump to say I finally got a chance to watch this, and I giggled all the way through. I was a little leery of gross-out humor, but it just didn't go there (unlike the execrable Shrek).

I'm glad people on this board recommended it or I would never have seen it. Thank you!