PDA

View Full Version : Which commercials do you find very Very VERY annoying?

Largo62
12-03-2006, 06:44 PM
A recent commercial for a credit card with "rewards" for use features a guy that looks like the Al Capp character General Bullmoose who speaks in a loud voice and with a phony eastern European sounding accent while a doltish friend tries to distract him. The card he uses he says is VERY VERY VERY REWARDING!
This commercial I find VERY VERY VERY ANNOYING!
What recent (or old) commmercials annoy you most?

MovieMogul
12-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Holy Crap, I used to love all the different varieties of Gap Ads, but the most recent one is so horrible it threatens to wipe out the memory of all those preceding it.

In it some rapper (probably famous, unknown to me) manages to accomplish a minor miracle by having his first stanza rhyme hood with....Hood.

And hood again.

And then hood again.

It becomes a welcome relief when he finally attempts rhyming two different words (though the rhyme itself is terrible).

And did I mention that he's strutting around on a giant gold-plated peace symbol? Or that all these fellow strutter/posers are milling around with their hoodies (presumably the object for sale)?

Or that the Money Phrase (repeated at the end, and printed onscreen in large letters) is "Peace, Love, and Gap"?

Allow me to amend:

"Peace, Love--not Crap"

Ugh.

Khadaji
12-03-2006, 07:22 PM
I dunno who General Bullmoose is, but I came in to say the credit card commercial with the guy with the fake east-european accent, I suspect we are talking about the same guy. I will have to take note of which card it is so I am sure not to ever use it.

FairyChatMom
12-03-2006, 07:26 PM
There's one for a weight-loss product being hawked by an intent blond woman who insists it's "not your fault." If I ever encountered her in person, I'd have to hurt her, she annoys me that much. If I was in the market for a weight-loss pill, I'd not buy whatever it is she's selling because of the commercial.

Khan
12-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Those car GPS commercials set to Carol of the Bells. The ad worked in the sense that I remember the product name (damned if I'll repeat it here, though), but it backfired because now I'm quite averse to buying it.

Sonics managed to accomplish the same thing. People acting like absolute pricks towards each other doesn't make me want to buy a sandwich or milkshake or whatever.

There was also this commercial on the Discovery channel for a dog show that they played all the time over the last couple of weeks. Fortunately that's past, but damn that song was irritating.

treis
12-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Pretty much every jewelery commercial.

TonyF
12-03-2006, 07:38 PM
I love you all. The premierepass credit card with the fake accent, the dog show with crappy beats - terrible!

I see this brilliant ad on daytime TV often; it skips the niceties and pretension of common marketing techniques and goes straight for a syllogism:

1. Stress raises cortisol.
2. Cortisol increases belly fat.
3. Relacore reduces cortisol.
4. YOU. NEED. RELACORE!

Brilliant!

John DiFool
12-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Thank the Lord they've (apparently) pulled the Jon Lovitz Subway commercials. My boycott
of them is now over, as is my urge to get a cardboard cutout of Lovitz and riddle it with
buckshot from my friend's shotgun...

Unfortunately that idiotic little *&**&^%^%$#@%$$&^%*& gecko is still doing his thing for Geico...

Sunspace
12-03-2006, 08:06 PM
I love you all. The premierepass credit card with the fake accent, the dog show with crappy beats - terrible!

I see this brilliant ad on daytime TV often; it skips the niceties and pretension of common marketing techniques and goes straight for a syllogism:

1. Stress raises cortisol.
2. Cortisol increases belly fat.
3. Relacore reduces cortisol.
4. YOU. NEED. RELACORE!

Brilliant!Isn't that faulty logic, though? What it really means is, "You need to reduce your stress." :)

Guinastasia
12-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Those commercials for 1-800-SAFE-AUTO. I HATE HATE HATE that fucking jingle. Ooooh, do I hate it.

Dr. Rieux
12-03-2006, 09:45 PM
The Mike's Hard Lemonade and (especially) the "Mike-a-rita" prank phone calls.

fachverwirrt
12-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Any commercial with people discussing their new osteoporosis or menopause or whatever medicine where they speak in the kind of clinical detail you'd expect to hear from the keynote speaker at a pharmacology convention, while their having lunch or jogging with their friends. God damn it, if you want to give us these details, give us these details, but don't pretend people talk that way!

Marlitharn
12-03-2006, 10:47 PM
The Ferrara-Roche or however you spell it commercials, with all the doorbells playing "Deck the Halls." They play the same damn commercial every year, and every year I hate it more, and if any of my friends show up at my door with a box of those crappy chocolates I will refuse them entry.

AuntiePam
12-03-2006, 11:05 PM
I've only seen it once and I don't remember the product. It was for a prescription drug, and it was shot with the spokesperson looking away from the camera.

If you want me to buy drugs from you, the least you can do is look me in the eye.

levdrakon
12-03-2006, 11:36 PM
I don't know if it gets shown nationwide or if it's mostly on Dishnetwork but they have a series of commercials where the two women are calmly discussing what an incredible idiot the one woman's husband is. The husband is running around in the background trying to build something like a studio or a comedy club and if he weren't such an idiot he'd realize he could just watch what he wants by subscribing to Dishnetwork. Instead, he basically just injures himself as his stupid building projects fall apart. How hilarious.

:rolleyes: It completely fails my "what if the roles were reversed" test. Two men sitting there nonchalantly discussing what an idiot the one man's wife is. Yeah, like that commercial would ever see the light of day.

Lissa
12-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Those commercials for 1-800-SAFE-AUTO. I HATE HATE HATE that fucking jingle. Ooooh, do I hate it.

I do, too, but it seems to be effective. I was over at my sister's house right after she and my cousin had gone to pick up my cousin's newly-purchased car. "I need to get insurance," my cousin said. "I don't know who to call, though."

My sister instantly started singing, "1-800-SAFEAUTO. Pick up the phone. The call is free. Or, you could go with: For the best car insurance rates in town, call 1-800-GENERAL now!"

And that's exactly what my cousin did.

Guinastasia
12-03-2006, 11:47 PM
I wouldn't call them on principle. I MIGHT check out Geico-I can't help it, that little Gecko is just so freaking cute. Oooh, and they have Gecko beanies (http://geicostore.summitmg.com/geicostore/product.asp?dept%5Fid=300&pf%5Fid=G%2D3010&mscssid=X2DN0DV8GP6H8KBFHF9QJ35XN8MG2F9A) on the website!

Just thought of another one:

"Head on-apply directly to the forehead!"

jayjay
12-03-2006, 11:48 PM
The Ferrara-Roche or however you spell it commercials, with all the doorbells playing "Deck the Halls." They play the same damn commercial every year, and every year I hate it more, and if any of my friends show up at my door with a box of those crappy chocolates I will refuse them entry.

My problem with Ferrero-Roche's ads is that they all appear to go for that high-class image and I always have trouble believing in the high-classness of any confection that's sold at the register at Sheetz...

TLDRIDKJKLOLFTW
12-03-2006, 11:49 PM
There's a rheumatoid arthritis medicine commercial going around right now that makes me want to punch the people involved in the face every time I see it. There's an incredibly sappy song in the background with lyrics like, "I'm not ready yet/but i'm gonna be soon/maybe I'm gonna start treatment today" and stuff like that, while a condescending voiceover basically implies that if you weren't such a coward, you'd be already doing something about your rheumatoid arthritis, but it's ok - you're going to start today with this new medicine. It's not going to be easy, but it's worth it, because you're not a coward, are you? etc. etc. etc.

And then they list the possible side effects, which include lymphoma, nervous system disorders, a fatal reaction that has been reported, and other nightmarish possibilities that make me wonder how the thing was ever approved by the FDA to begin with as the sappy song continues in the background.

Infuriating.

Frank
12-03-2006, 11:52 PM
Well, they may not be entertainment, but they are TV.

Moved from IMHO to CS.

simster
12-04-2006, 12:01 AM
Since we seem to have a trend of medicine related commercails:

"Tell you doctor if you have some serious condition that may make this medicine kill you"

Excuse me, but shouldnt my doctor already know that?

"Not to be taken by those unhealthy enough for sexual activity"

Ok, can I just have the bullet now then?

Snooooopy
12-04-2006, 12:02 AM
The commercial that most recently gave me a sense of revulsion was the one where everyone is stuck at the airport, but someone pulls out some Christmas-themed singing doodad and suddenly everybody is filled with good cheer.

I know what I would be feeling if I were stuck at the airport and saw one of those vile things, and good cheer AIN'T it.

Frustrated Wonderer
12-04-2006, 12:24 AM
All those 1-800 commercials in general are a pain in the ass.

supervenusfreak
12-04-2006, 12:26 AM
I am amazed by the one with Sally Field is telling me what a hardship it is to take a pill once a week.

: :dubious:

Voyager
12-04-2006, 12:38 AM
I don't know if it gets shown nationwide or if it's mostly on Dishnetwork but they have a series of commercials where the two women are calmly discussing what an incredible idiot the one woman's husband is.
Good one.

The one I hate has a car with a ribbon on it parked in front of a house, with two stupid women wondering who it is if for. I'd laugh like hell if some kids drove by and shot out all the windows. There are lots of radio ads, for Mercedes in the past, with people giving each other cars like they were thrift shop glassware. I live in the Bay Area, but the Bubble is long gone morons. As if I didn't have enough reasons not to buy a Mercedes.

Guinastasia
12-04-2006, 01:09 AM
My problem with Ferrero-Roche's ads is that they all appear to go for that high-class image and I always have trouble believing in the high-classness of any confection that's sold at the register at Sheetz...

They are pretty yummy, though.

Let's not forget those stupid jewelry commercials for Kay Jewelers where he gives her this plain, boring necklace-it's just three little stones on a string-but they're DIAMONDS, so of course it's the BEST GIFT EVAR!!!!

Please. If you're going to spend that kind of money, get me some obscure, rare books that I've been looking for. Or if it has to be jewelry, some pretty, antique costume jewelry.

But don't spend a wad on a dinky looking necklace that costs a fortune from one of the most corrupt industries in existance.

Tuckerfan
12-04-2006, 01:16 AM
The PS3 ads. Why do they bother? Unless you get one off of eBay for a gazillion dollars, you can't buy them, they're sold out! Nor do I see anything in the ads spectacular enough to make me want to peel off 6 or 7 large ones just to own the thing even if it were available. (Not that I'll buy Sony products anyway, after their stupid DRM crap.)

Please. If you're going to spend that kind of money, get me some obscure, rare books that I've been looking for. Or if it has to be jewelry, some pretty, antique costume jewelry.

But don't spend a wad on a dinky looking necklace that costs a fortune from one of the most corrupt industries in existance.
:::dropping to one knee:::

Marry me?

Hey, It's That Guy!
12-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Yeah, fuck jewelry commercials, especially Jared: The Galleria of Jewelry (do you guys get those outside of Florida?). The women are always bragging about how their fiances and husbands got them some mah-velous diamonds from Jared, and then the other woman (who is assumed to also have a diamond) gets pissed at her husband because he didn't get hers from Jared (presumably it isn't as good as her show-off "friends"). In a radio spot, a woman says she'd hate to get the same diamond all her friends have, so the man in her life had better get it from Jared (or it is implied there will be hell to pay). Fuck Jared, fuck the diamond industry, and fuck these materialistic bitches who have been trained to demand overpriced rocks from the men in their life, as a means of knowing they are "loved."

garygnu
12-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Right now, the cell-phone commercial about dropped calls where the prospective son-in-law feels the need to make up a nickname for his future father-in-law "Jim." Stupid.
(Don't bring up "This is Our Country.")

Tikki
12-04-2006, 01:43 AM
Anyone see the Wal-Mart commercial where they're essentially saying they're holier-than-Target because they allow Salvation Army bellringers on the premises? At least, I assume that's their message. Whatever spin they were trying to put on it was lost on me because the first time I saw it, I had to change the channel about seven seconds in. It was either that or do bodily harm to my tv. The commercial starts out with one bellringer ringing his shrill little bell and then a few more bellringers join in and a few more and......Arghhh! How can anyone make it the whole way through that commercial without losing their sanity?

Move over, Head On. There's a new most annoying commercial in town. :rolleyes:

I am amazed by the one with Sally Field is telling me what a hardship it is to take a pill once a week.

But you have to set aside time to take that pill! That simply won't do now, will it?

lowbrass
12-04-2006, 02:00 AM
All Ipod commercials.

All Target commercials.

All Gap commercials.

All Old Navy commercials.

Also, any commercial that flashes pictures on the screen at the rate of more than one per second (almost all movie trailers these days). Are they trying to induce seizures?

Oh, and that one for the toenail fungus stuff. My God, what are they thinking on that one?

Guinastasia
12-04-2006, 02:18 AM
Yeah, fuck jewelry commercials, especially Jared: The Galleria of Jewelry (do you guys get those outside of Florida?). The women are always bragging about how their fiances and husbands got them some mah-velous diamonds from Jared, and then the other woman (who is assumed to also have a diamond) gets pissed at her husband because he didn't get hers from Jared (presumably it isn't as good as her show-off "friends"). In a radio spot, a woman says she'd hate to get the same diamond all her friends have, so the man in her life had better get it from Jared (or it is implied there will be hell to pay). Fuck Jared, fuck the diamond industry, and fuck these materialistic bitches who have been trained to demand overpriced rocks from the men in their life, as a means of knowing they are "loved."

"He went to Jared!" Yeah, we get them in PA too. I hate the one where she dumps an hor'deurve in her hubby's drink because HE didn't buy her jewelry at Jared.

Way to make women look like gold-digging, greedy bitches.

t-bonham@scc.net
12-04-2006, 05:58 AM
This thread reappears about every few months, with the same content: people complaining about how much they hate specific commercials, but they have obviously spent a lot of their time watching (and memorizing) those commercials they claim to hate.

Why?

The TV remote control has been around for over 50 years now. All of them have a 'mute' button. You can easily shut off the sound, or tune to another channel or whatever, if the commercial bothers you.

But it appears some people would rather waste their time watching the commercial, then whine about it afterwards! Well, feel free. But don't expect a lot of sympathy for a 'problem' that you could easily avoid.

Fugazi
12-04-2006, 06:05 AM
I knew exactly which commercial the OP was talking about just from the title of the thread and I have to say, I agree 100%. It took me almost a month to figure out he was saying the word 'very'. Most of what I watch on TV is sports, and this commercial is on a lot. Makes me want to stab sharp objects into my brain.

BTW, there's actually a series of 3 or 4 commercials featuring the same guy. Each is more annoying than the last.

DianaG
12-04-2006, 06:51 AM
The commercial that most recently gave me a sense of revulsion was the one where everyone is stuck at the airport, but someone pulls out some Christmas-themed singing doodad and suddenly everybody is filled with good cheer.

I know what I would be feeling if I were stuck at the airport and saw one of those vile things, and good cheer AIN'T it.
I've always assumed that woman has given into her holiday blues, and is indulging her death wish.

Count me in on the jewelry store ad hate as well, especially Kay, Zales, and their ilk. I have no particular yen for diamonds, but if you must buy me one, at least don't get it at the freakin' mall, okay?

RunSilent
12-04-2006, 07:57 AM
All car commercials

All commercials for cleaning products that show the users having a wonderful time with big smiles on their faces doing.... housecleaning!

Diceman
12-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Anyone see the Wal-Mart commercial where they're essentially saying they're holier-than-Target because they allow Salvation Army bellringers on the premises? At least, I assume that's their message. Whatever spin they were trying to put on it was lost on me because the first time I saw it, I had to change the channel about seven seconds in. It was either that or do bodily harm to my tv. The commercial starts out with one bellringer ringing his shrill little bell and then a few more bellringers join in and a few more and......Arghhh! How can anyone make it the whole way through that commercial without losing their sanity?

Move over, Head On. There's a new most annoying commercial in town. :rolleyes:

I haven't seen the commercial, but just reading about it makes me hate it. Walmart probably lets the Salvation Army guys hang around in order to assuage their guilt over the economic slavery Walmart inflicts on its employees.

madmonk28
12-04-2006, 08:12 AM
I hate any cough/cold medicine that shows the husband as a complete moron. The message is usually that mother has to hurry up and get better before her family burns the house down. There was one cold medicine commercial a few years back where a shot of the family baby morphed into the husband, just creepy on many, many levels.

Carlyjay
12-04-2006, 09:13 AM
The Christmas commercial, though I have no idea what it's for, where Santa Claus wakes up a little girl to ask her where her parents got their chesterfield or their dish set or their carpet or something, and the little girl looks up and says, in an excruciatingly OBVIOUS fake speech impediment that the director probably thought would sound cute but actually sounds like nails on a chalkboard;

"Santa? Is that WEEEAWWWWYYY YOU?"

I want to punch the child.

Stout
12-04-2006, 09:54 AM
We have that chain matress store Sleep Country, up here in Canada and both the radio and television ads are done by the president of Sleep Country ( Canada ), Christine McGee. The ads also feature some dork who reacts with an air of increduility at the prices and products that Christine's trying to hawk this week.

They've been playing the same ads over and over and over......for years.

And now when I hear or see one, I'm truely horrified at what my imagination has come up with as means to dispatch the both of them.

John Sleemen of Sleemen's brewery is also firmly in my crosshairs too.

Wee Bairn
12-04-2006, 10:05 AM
The Army commercial- "you shook my hand and looked me square in the eye- where'd that come from?" You're such a manly dad, and you think that macho bullshit is such a desired trait, why didn't YOU teach him to do it?

ReuvenB
12-04-2006, 10:39 AM
The Dr. Pepper commercial. 23rd quarter? 23-23? The answer to a true or false question is 23? The fact that he says 23rd quarter grinds on my nerves all by itself, but it seems to be advertising "Drink Dr. Pepper, and you'll be too stupid to live!"

Ethilrist
12-04-2006, 10:44 AM
You know that commercial where they show that people like you are a bunch of idiots, but if you have their product, you'll be able to hide the fact that you're an idiot, because your friends are gullible? I hate that ad.

Least Original User Name Ever
12-04-2006, 11:03 AM
The PS3 ads. Why do they bother? Unless you get one off of eBay for a gazillion dollars, you can't buy them, they're sold out! Nor do I see anything in the ads spectacular enough to make me want to peel off 6 or 7 large ones just to own the thing even if it were available. (Not that I'll buy Sony products anyway, after their stupid DRM crap.)

:::dropping to one knee:::

Marry me?

I'll rochambeau you for her heart.

This is Buuuuuudweiser...this is beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.

I also LOATHE the Coors light silver bullet train ads. I hate hate hate hate hate hate them. Ooh, look. It's a hot day outside. If only there were some way to beat the heat-..oh...what's this? A...a train approaches?

WHOOSH!

Oh, the silver bullet train (chilled at some close-to-freezing temperature) zooms through! Everyone is refreshed and nobody is even paying attention to what they were doing beforehand because in addition to providing arctic temperatures and beer, they're also bringing the fun!

If you can't tell, they haven't convinced me.

I also dislike the Lexus/Mercedes commercials where a dude just up and buys his moll a car for Christmas. You know, everyone else in the world gets socks, right?

12-04-2006, 11:04 AM
"He went to Jared!" Yeah, we get them in PA too. I hate the one where she dumps an hor'deurve in her hubby's drink because HE didn't buy her jewelry at Jared.

Way to make women look like gold-digging, greedy bitches.

We gets em in Detroit, and they're on in Buffalo, NY.

12-04-2006, 11:06 AM
The Christmas commercial, though I have no idea what it's for, where Santa Claus wakes up a little girl to ask her where her parents got their chesterfield or their dish set or their carpet or something, and the little girl looks up and says, in an excruciatingly OBVIOUS fake speech impediment that the director probably thought would sound cute but actually sounds like nails on a chalkboard;

"Santa? Is that WEEEAWWWWYYY YOU?"

I want to punch the child.

I'll hold the child, you can punch it until you can't.

Deal?

Gangster Octopus
12-04-2006, 11:07 AM
OK, the PS3 ad where there is this creepy baby doll in an empty white room with a PS3. The doll cries and then doesn't and makes some weirfd noises and is basically just creepy. Then the PS3 box floats and I think then I am supposed to want one. Really?

There is an ad for something called freecreditreport.com. This guy is sitting on a stool and starts out with, "I am thinking of a number between 500 and 800. It's 720 and it's my credit score." No problem with that, until he says you can go to their website and get your credit score for free and, "You can even print it out!" Really? Amazing!

12-04-2006, 11:07 AM
You know that commercial where they show that people like you are a bunch of idiots, but if you have their product, you'll be able to hide the fact that you're an idiot, because your friends are gullible? I hate that ad.

Ooh! I like that one, though!

(the end of a historic quadrapost because I don't know how to smush them all together into one post)

John Mace
12-04-2006, 11:28 AM
For years I've been loathing the Ditech.com commercials on cable news strations. They're only shown about 8 billion times every hour.

But those stooooopid milk commercials about the guys from outer space who mispronounce Dairy is dumber than dumb. I can't beleive they weren't pulled after the very first showing. I'm really surprised those commercials hadn't made anyone's list yet-- or did I miss it somewhere?

And yes, the rapping Gap commercial marks the end of rap as an art form. What's next?

Guinastasia
12-04-2006, 11:29 AM
This thread reappears about every few months, with the same content: people complaining about how much they hate specific commercials, but they have obviously spent a lot of their time watching (and memorizing) those commercials they claim to hate.

Why?

The TV remote control has been around for over 50 years now. All of them have a 'mute' button. You can easily shut off the sound, or tune to another channel or whatever, if the commercial bothers you.

But it appears some people would rather waste their time watching the commercial, then whine about it afterwards! Well, feel free. But don't expect a lot of sympathy for a 'problem' that you could easily avoid.

Why? Because it's fun, goddammit!

:p

toadbriar
12-04-2006, 11:32 AM
WalMart commercials seem to predominantly use actors who speak in a odd sort of 'Kenny's Mom' (from South Park) whiny southern-ish? accent that I seldom hear anywhere else; friends from Georgia, the Carolinas, Tennessee have pronounced (heh) drawls but do not sound at all like The WalMart People. I don't know where it's from. So to me, it's The WalMart Accent, and unfairly or not, I've come to loathe it. Now there's a Hamburger Helper ad with people speaking with the same accent. Is it supposed to be down-homey? I'm in Massachusetts, so it's not. Where's the ladies in commercials talking about their shopping bargains in Chigago or Buffalo accents? That would charm the hell outta me.

There's a Hidden Valley Ranch commercial where a woman describes the taste by saying "it's jazzy! Pizazzy!" Husband and I cruelly torment one another with this on a regular basis.

Khadaji
12-04-2006, 11:46 AM

Why?

I mostly tape my shows and my VCR will fast-forward through the commercials. However, when the guys come over to watch football, I let them play. I let them play because some people find channel surfing more annoying than commercials and because some people would be annoyed if I didn't get back to the game in time to see the next play. So we sit through them.

Chanteuse
12-04-2006, 11:47 AM

And you beat me to it. I came in here just to mention this POS ad--I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!! About a week ago, I heard it for the first time (this year, I mean), and the first thing I said was, "Oh shit, this one again? I HATE this commercial!" Then I promptly changed the channel!

BobLibDem
12-04-2006, 11:56 AM
No nominations for Bob, the creepy male-enhancement guy? Good Lord, I don't care how big his schlong is, there isn't a normal woman that would give him a second of her time.

The commercials for that brokerage or whatever where the characters are sort of half-human, half animated looking things. Either have live action or cartoons, please don't try to split the difference.

Wile E
12-04-2006, 12:13 PM

Why?

I know this doesn't fit with the TV watcher's stereotype but I don't actually sit with the remote glued to my hand while I watch TV. Occasionally, the remote isn't even within easy reach *gasp*! Shocking, I know. Judging by the responses here I would guess that other people may also be these rare types of people like me that actually don't keep their remotes in hand and fingers poised on the mute button just to be prepared for those annoying commercials.

Besides, if you do change stations you just get more annoying commercials.

Anyway, I came in to agree with the commercial mentioned in the OP. It reminds of of an old Saturday Night Live sketch, one that bombed and went on forever (although that could also apply to most of the new sketches, too).

lieu
12-04-2006, 12:22 PM
There's one where an SUV, I think the new, funky hoodede Dodge, goes crashing through the Earth's crust, then mantle, core, etc encountering all matter of funky, unrealistic stuff on the way though and then pops out the other side. It's inaccurate... and the music sucks.

AuntiePam
12-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Right now, the cell-phone commercial about dropped calls where the prospective son-in-law feels the need to make up a nickname for his future father-in-law "Jim." Stupid.
(Don't bring up "This is Our Country.")

I like both of these. The pickup ad especially, because for once, it's a motor vehicle ad that's not directed toward sleek, glossy, urban folks or soccer moms.

Guinastasia
12-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Also, if I'm watching something I don't want to miss even a SECOND of, I won't flip during commercials, just so I can make sure I won't miss anything.

lieu
12-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Right now, the cell-phone commercial about dropped calls where the prospective son-in-law feels the need to make up a nickname for his future father-in-law "Jim." "Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care..." Bwhaaa, I laugh every time.

Don Draper
12-04-2006, 12:41 PM
The Geico discriminated-against cavemen ads. It wasn't funny, nor did it make sense, the first time. It only gets worse as they labor on with more & more spots showing this irksome guy. What is the point of these ads?

Spiff
12-04-2006, 01:37 PM
The two dorks with a cell phone that plays music, and it's playing "Rock the Casbah" by The Clash.

But get this ... the LCD screen on the phone tells you the name of the song and the artist performing it.

Yet these two nimrods wander around saying "What's that guy singing? 'Watch the cat box?'" or some such crap.

What brain-dead ad rep though up that shite?

HazelNutCoffee
12-04-2006, 01:39 PM
The car commercial with that guy living out of his trunk. Is it Nissan? I hate that guy, though I couldn't pinpoint why exactly. He seems like such a tool.

Rodd Hill
12-04-2006, 01:58 PM
From Canada (though there is likely a US equivalent):

Old geezer answers phone, and says 2 nanoseconds later: "It's Patrick! He bought life insurance!"

And the evil reverse-mortgage ads aimed at seniors (which basically gives the house to the mortgage company): a suited dweeb (Gordon Pape) with all the presence of a wet teabag intones the shill--while never blinking once through the whole commercial. Creepy. (He's since been replaced with a much more avuncular type, and a catchy song. Still trying to get grandma to sell the birthright, though.)

And their sneaky little corporate logo--designed to look very much like it's a Department of the Canadian government. Sneaky shits.

Quiddity Glomfuster
12-04-2006, 02:11 PM
I tend to not notice commercials. I get calls from people doing surveys on ads and they'll ask me if I've seen some ad or other - response is usually 'no'. Then I'll notice that very ad on the TV and realize it probably has been aired often and that I've heard snippets. I zone out while they're on even if I'm not doing something else while watching a show. Most of the time I can't tell you what's being sold even if I happen to notice an ad. I am a marketer's nightmare LOL. That said, I have seen the little Geico gekko and I just lurves him. Then again, I'm a big gekko fan even though I'm aware most gekkos don't speak with English accents. Still wouldn't buy the insurance.

However it's impossible to ignore those stupid ads (usually associated with truck-hauling-drag-bigwheels or whatever) where the announcer affects a REALLY DEEP VOICE in an apparent attempt to render ultra-masculinity. I want to throw the entire television out the window when they do that.

lowbrass
12-04-2006, 02:28 PM

Why?

I wish you had a mute button.

AuntiePam
12-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Another one that has me shaking my head is for Ford (?) -- young woman pulls up to the drive-through window at her dry cleaner and notices a hunky guy in the car behind her.

She tells the attendant she wants to pay for a couple of his shirts, and asks the attendant to give him her business card.

The guy in the car behind her is a total stranger. He could be married. He could be Her Town's serial killer. So yeah, give him your name, and your work address and phone number.

jayjay
12-04-2006, 05:34 PM
The guy in the car behind her is a total stranger. He could be married. He could be Her Town's serial killer. So yeah, give him your name, and your work address and phone number.

Heh...I had this conversation with supervenusfreak last night after we saw that one. I think it went, "What she doesn't know is that he's married. He'll take the card, laugh, stick it in his pocket absentmindedly with no intentions to actually call her. Then his wife will find it while doing the laundry. They'll have a very messy fight about "the other woman". She'll divorce him. His life, her life and their children's lives are now shattered by the two-bit hussy in the Ford.

Not good advertising...

levdrakon
12-04-2006, 05:53 PM
The guy in the car behind her is a total stranger. He could be married. He could be Her Town's serial killer. So yeah, give him your name, and your work address and phone number.I thought that too at first but then I thought of a few women friends I have and it probably works like this:

She's been seeing him around for awhile. They both use the same laundry and she's seen him turning into the parking lot of the building across from where she works. She activated the girlfriend phone tree and found someone who knows someone who works where he works. Reliable gossip is he's single, nice, and as far as anyone can tell, not gay.

Then she makes her move. ;)

Autumn Almanac
12-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Can someone explain the commercial (I don't even remember what it's for) where the young guy shows up at the airport asking if Mr. Whatever's flight has landed yet. The agent informs him that the flight was delayed, so the guy gets in his car, quickly drives to a different airport, and pulls out a handwritten "Mr. Whatever" sign. I must be missing something because I don't understand how the sequence of events makes any sense. That commercial annoys me to no end.

Snooooopy
12-04-2006, 06:01 PM
I've always assumed that woman has given into her holiday blues, and is indulging her death wish.

"Stop me before I pull out my Big Mouth Billy Bass again!"

AuntiePam
12-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Autumn Almanac, it's another Ford "Bold" ad. The guy looks at the monitor and sees the name of the airport and the flight number, so he zips over there and picks up the man he was supposed to see for the job interview.

It only works if he has time to get to the airport. And if the guy hadn't already arranged a pickup. And if the guy doesn't mind getting in a car with a stranger. Etc. etc. :)

C K Dexter Haven
12-04-2006, 06:10 PM
lowbrass, that type of comment is NOT permitted in this forum. In this forum, we have polite and reasonably well-mannered discussion. It is possible to disagree with people without insulting them.
You're a guest, so you're entitled to some leniency... please, review the Forum Rules (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=343601) to get a better feeling for the way we interact here.

SkipMagic
12-04-2006, 06:14 PM
This is inappropriate for Cafe Society, lowbrass. It's only acceptable to attack another poster in the Pit; Cafe Society is meant for you to talk about the art or artist and not the poster. You may want to take a gander at this forum's rules (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=343601):
Personal insults are not permitted in this forum. You can insult an artistic work, you can say what you'd like about an awful movie or poem or TV show or concert. Within reasonable limits, you can insult the artist/creator/writer. But you may not insult the posters.

This forum is about entertainment and arts, and there's rarely a "correct" answer. Multiple viewpoints about entertainment and art are to be expected. It should be possible to share your views, understand someone else's views, and disagree with someone else's views, without the need for personal insults.

Note that "insult" includes making guesses about the other poster's background, education, state of mind, etc. The personality of the other poster is not relevant to the discussion.

Violations of good manners and common courtesy constitute jerkhood, and are a bannable offense. If you must flame, go the forum called BBQ Pit and insult as you please.

Special Case: If a member posts their own poem, for instance, or a link to a song they wrote, then the rule about "Not Insulting Posters" takes precedence over the permission to insult the writer. "Reasonable limits" for insulting the artist mean that if the artist is also the poster, no personal insults permitted. Again, it should be possible to be critical of a work without insulting the author personally.

Please do not do this again.

SkipMagic
12-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Sigh.

What is this, the second time this week that Dex has beaten me to the punch? You wouldn't think that a guy who starred in a 1940s movie would be so quick sixty-some years later...

FatBaldGuy
12-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Can someone explain the commercial (I don't even remember what it's for) where the young guy shows up at the airport asking if Mr. Whatever's flight has landed yet. The agent informs him that the flight was delayed, so the guy gets in his car, quickly drives to a different airport, and pulls out a handwritten "Mr. Whatever" sign. I must be missing something because I don't understand how the sequence of events makes any sense. That commercial annoys me to no end.He doesn't initially show up at the airport. He goes to Mr. Whatever's office for a job interview, where the receptionist tells him that Mr. Whatever's flight has been delayed.

However, it still doesn't make much sense to me, and I couldn't for the life of me tell you what product is being advertised.

jayjay
12-04-2006, 06:35 PM
He doesn't initially show up at the airport. He goes to Mr. Whatever's office for a job interview, where the receptionist tells him that Mr. Whatever's flight has been delayed.

However, it still doesn't make much sense to me, and I couldn't for the life of me tell you what product is being advertised.

It's for a car of some kind.

I understand this ad...it's not really that complicated. The guy shows up at Mr. Davis's office for a job interview. The secretary tells him Mr. Davis's flight is delayed and they'll have to reschedule the interview. The guy runs off to his HOT RED NEW CAR to pick up Mr. Davis at the airport, so he can suck up and impress with his go-gettyness and hopefully get the job he's there to interview for at the beginning of the ad.

Archergal
12-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Autumn Almanac, it's another Ford "Bold" ad. The guy looks at the monitor and sees the name of the airport and the flight number, so he zips over there and picks up the man he was supposed to see for the job interview.

Jebus, is THAT what that commercial's about?? I always thought he was thinking "Woohoo, no interview today, I can PLAY!" :rolleyes:

I got a serious hating going on for those stinking TomTom commercials. You know, the ones where the driver says "SueSue (or ScottScott, or whatever), we need an alternate route. SueSue, do I turn left here?" I'd jump out at the first light and run away from that stupid looney. Jeezopete. I HATE those commercials. Hatehatehatehate.

Dervish Jones
12-04-2006, 07:09 PM
I just learned today that ranch dressing is a hallucinatory drug. A guy is sitting in his barely lit, crappy apartment with unpack boxes for furniture. But wait! He eats a bite of salad with ranch dressing, and suddenly he is having a picnic in a beautiful park with his non-existent wife and kids! The tag line is something like, "This is what life should be like."

So losers should eat ranch. Or, ranch is the Holodeck. The Mirror of Erised. This commercial makes me feel sad and disgusted, and disinclined to eat ranch dressing, which is a pity. Because I really like it.

Jeep's Phoenix
12-04-2006, 07:18 PM

Ahh, Hallmark. I make a point of setting off every one of those things whenever I walk by one of their stores. On one occasion, there were some women contemplating buying one of the things. One woman bragged about how she kept no fewer than 7 at her workplace during Christmas. :eek:

t-bonham@scc.net
12-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Also, if I'm watching something I don't want to miss even a SECOND of, I won't flip during commercials, just so I can make sure I won't miss anything.What possible program is there on American TV that you can't miss a SECOND of?

mobo85
12-04-2006, 08:00 PM
The Geico discriminated-against cavemen ads. It wasn't funny, nor did it make sense, the first time.

It makes sense to me. "Geico.com is so easy, a caveman could use it!" Now, what if there were cavemen still around- cavemen who try very hard to be a part of modern society? Wouldn't they be offended by such an insult to their intelligence?

Don Draper
12-04-2006, 08:07 PM
It makes sense to me. "Geico.com is so easy, a caveman could use it!" Now, what if there were cavemen still around- cavemen who try very hard to be a part of modern society? Wouldn't they be offended by such an insult to their intelligence?

Yes, but what does that say about 'Geico'? That they are insensitive to a (fictional) minority group? That folks from minority groups that complain of being fun of in ads are jerks with no sense of humor? That Geico does not do it's research and is bad at public relations? Instead of making me want to give 'geico' a try, the ad focuses on the harassed cavemen.

At any rate, it's just not funny IMO.

levdrakon
12-04-2006, 08:30 PM
What possible program is there on American TV that you can't miss a SECOND of? :confused: I guess you've never read a Lost, or Heroes, or Battlestar Galactica, or Amazing Race, or Survivor thread. Sometimes seconds matter.

What happens to me is I over-FF or over-RR and end up watching the first or last commercial during the break. I'm just not anal enough to FFRRFFRRFFRR until the exact moment the show starts thereby missing those dreaded commercials which really in the grand scheme of things, don't cause me to break out in hives if I accidently see one.

And some commercials - quite often the obnoxious ones these threads get started about - are so frequently shown than unless a person really has dedicated their life to avoiding commercials, you're going to see them.

And and, sometimes people like me actually like certain clever, well done commercials and if I see one of those while I'm FF-ing or RR-ing I stop, go back and watch. We have "favorite commercial" threads sometimes too.

Yes, but what does that say about 'Geico'? That they are insensitive to a (fictional) minority group? That folks from minority groups that complain of being fun of in ads are jerks with no sense of humor? That Geico does not do it's research and is bad at public relations? Instead of making me want to give 'geico' a try, the ad focuses on the harassed cavemen.

At any rate, it's just not funny IMO.They were kinda funny at first but it didn't take long for my smile to drop as I realized they seem to be making fun of uppity overly-sensitive minorities who apparently take offense at everything.

Sorry, joke fell flat.

Cluricaun
12-04-2006, 09:51 PM
So for whatever reason Planet Ad Agency beamed down the idea that new Volkswagon Jetta's should come with......guitars! That plug into the stereo! Since when you're stuck in heavy traffic, you should be able to do some heavy riffing or something. But then they got different celebrities to do spots playing their guitars through some cars. John Mayer's is actually OK, Slash just phones in some really generic crap, but the one that makes me want to kill is the one with Christopher Guest reprising his role as Nigel Tufnel. That "solo" he plays....it's the aural equivelent of breaking a lightbulb in your mouth. It's almost unmusic. It makes my ears cry.

Caridwen
12-04-2006, 10:13 PM
What possible program is there on American TV that you can't miss a SECOND of?

You don't watch any shows on American TV? You've never watched a movie and don't want to miss the ending? Dateline or one of the news magazines and you don't want to miss what happened? Any show that's continued like 24 or even Deadwood?

Aunt Flow
12-05-2006, 03:03 AM
Noone's mentioned any radio commercials. There's one I absolutely ABHOR. It's played on a talk radio station that is nationwide, so I'm sure others have heard it. It's basically a commercial with little kids asking questions about what to do in a 'terror attack'. And this one kids grates on my nerves for some reason. "Should I wait for you? Or should I go to gramma's? Since it's closer." And he says it TWICE. >< I always change the channel or turn down the sound.

Jeep's Phoenix
12-05-2006, 03:51 AM
Noone's mentioned any radio commercials. There's one I absolutely ABHOR. It's played on a talk radio station that is nationwide, so I'm sure others have heard it. It's basically a commercial with little kids *snip*
They're always the worst...I swear the treble is cranked all the way up on purpose. A few radio stations in Raleigh ran one last summer about the importance of air quality that featured a child lapsing into an apparent asthma attack -- complete with ear-splitting, speaker-ripping wheezing. The effect was the same regardless of the stereo's actual settings -- I listened to it on several different stereos, and at different volumes too.

lowbrass
12-05-2006, 03:52 AM
Please do not do this again.
O.K., next time someone posts something that contributes nothing to the thread, only for the purpose of rudely criticizing everyone in the thread, I just won't say anything.

Max the Immortal
12-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Thank the Lord they've (apparently) pulled the Jon Lovitz Subway commercials. My boycott
of them is now over, as is my urge to get a cardboard cutout of Lovitz and riddle it with
buckshot from my friend's shotgun...

I boycotted Subway over these commercials, too; and I like Subway. When they stopped the "Subway Dinner Theatre" ads, I bought and enjoyed one Subway sub. Days later, they started airing "Subway Daytime Drama" commercials with Lovitz. They aren't nearly as irritating, but they still suck. I haven't patronized Subway since.

Autumn Almanac
12-05-2006, 08:54 AM
He doesn't initially show up at the airport. He goes to Mr. Whatever's office for a job interview, where the receptionist tells him that Mr. Whatever's flight has been delayed.
Ahhhh, that sort of makes sense then. I've probably seen the commercial a dozen times without realizing that he was initially showing up for a meeting at the guy's office. I thought he really was the driver and just showed up at the wrong airport without his sign. :confused: So what happened to the real driver; did Bolddude kidnap and murder him or what?

Cluricaun
12-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Noone's mentioned any radio commercials. There's one I absolutely ABHOR.

The one on the radio here that I hate is one for the clothier Joseph A. Bank. The way the announcer says "Joseph" makes me inexplicably angry. He lapses into some pretend English accent, but only on that one word. Why? WHY?

Dung Beetle
12-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Heh...I had this conversation with supervenusfreak last night after we saw that one. I think it went, "What she doesn't know is that he's married. He'll take the card, laugh, stick it in his pocket absentmindedly with no intentions to actually call her. Then his wife will find it while doing the laundry. They'll have a very messy fight about "the other woman". She'll divorce him. His life, her life and their children's lives are now shattered by the two-bit hussy in the Ford.

Not good advertising...
No, no! What actually happens is, the drive-through lady pockets the extra money and throws the business card in the trash, thinking, "Whore."

Happy ending! :D

Bambi Hassenpfeffer
12-05-2006, 11:58 AM
There's a rheumatoid arthritis medicine commercial going around right now that makes me want to punch the people involved in the face every time I see it.
I will be here, I will be strong, I'll face my fears when the NIGHT IS LONG.

That one? Cause I hate it too, for exactly the same reason. I think it's for Remicade -- the chemical name of which is the confidence-building INFLIXIMAB -- which has a terrifying laundry list of potential complications (http://www.remicade.com/global/understanding/safety_information.jsp): There are reports of serious infections, including tuberculosis (TB), sepsis, and pneumonia. Some of these infections have been fatal. Reports of a type of blood cancer called lymphoma in patients on REMICADE or other TNF blockers are rare but occur more often than expected for people in general. Reactivation of hepatitis B virus has been reported in patients who are carriers of this virus and are taking TNF blockers, such as REMICADE. Some of these cases have been fatal. There have been rare cases of serious liver injury in people taking REMICADE, some fatal. Tell your doctor if you have liver problems and contact your doctor immediately if you develop symptoms such as jaundice (yellow skin and eyes), dark brown urine, right-sided abdominal pain, fever, or severe fatigue. Blood disorders have been reported, some fatal. Tell your doctor if you develop possible signs of blood disorders such as persistent fever, bruising, bleeding, or paleness while taking REMICADE. Nervous system disorders have also been reported. Tell your doctor if you have or have had a disease that affects the nervous system, or if you experience any numbness, weakness, tingling, visual disturbances, or seizures while taking REMICADE. Allergic reactions, some severe, have been reported during or after infusions with REMICADE. Signs of an allergic reaction include hives, difficulty breathing, chest pain, high or low blood pressure, swelling of face and hands, and fever or chills.

But as long as there's a crappy song about personal strength and determination, why should I care about fatal blood disorders and reactivation of my HepB?

Diceman
12-05-2006, 12:57 PM
That reminds me of a commercial for some anti-depression drug, which had side effects including nausea, insomnia, and sexual disfunction.

Even if the drug worked, the inability to eat, sleep, or get a boner would make me depressed all over again.

Dung Beetle
12-05-2006, 01:35 PM
After reading the thread title for the twentieth time, I suddenly realized that the guy in that commercial is speaking English. :smack:

xizor
12-05-2006, 02:53 PM
What possible program is there on American TV that you can't miss a SECOND of?

NASCAR races will actually cut away from the commercials (right in the middle of them if necessary) and go back to the race if a crash or some other big dramatic event occurs.

Actually, any live sporting event has the chance of having really interesting bits occur in the seconds after a commercial break.

Guinastasia
12-05-2006, 06:02 PM
You don't watch any shows on American TV? You've never watched a movie and don't want to miss the ending? Dateline or one of the news magazines and you don't want to miss what happened? Any show that's continued like 24 or even Deadwood?

In my case, it's Countdown with Keith Olbermann.

At any rate, t-bonham@scc.net, lighten up! Sometimes it's FUN to complain about things.

hawksgirl
12-05-2006, 06:06 PM
I will add to the list any Pepto-Bismol commerical featuring that stupid song and that awful dance. Make it Stop!

Khadaji
12-05-2006, 06:25 PM
There is a radio commercial for - I think - an internet provider. A band introduces their new "hit" single. "You can't wrap joy, you can't wrap..."

I always turn it off about that time so I don't know the rest of the lyrics, but it is annoying.

Jeep's Phoenix
12-05-2006, 06:30 PM
I will add to the list any Pepto-Bismol commerical featuring that stupid song and that awful dance. Make it Stop!
Especially the most recent one with the giant (what are they supposed to be?) people/monster things doing the Pepto dance. The implications of one of those things letting loose with the green apple squirts are troublesome.

SkipMagic
12-05-2006, 06:41 PM
O.K., next time someone posts something that contributes nothing to the thread, only for the purpose of rudely criticizing everyone in the thread, I just won't say anything.
Actually, the best thing to do is to click on the "Report Bad Post" button in the upper, right-hand corner of the offending post. This will take you to a form that you can then fill out and submit to the mods. After getting notice of the report, we'll take a look into it.

Alert us, and we'll step in if necessary; if you try to do so yourself, you'll take the chance of breaking the forum (or the board) rules and earn a warning. We'd rather that not happen, so we'll be happy to look at the problem. We may not always agree with the reported post, but we'll look into it.

fachverwirrt
12-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Radio commercials: anything with Tom Shane. If you don't have a Shane Company jeweler in your area, you are very, very lucky.

Clothahump
12-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Which commercials do you find very Very VERY annoying?

Damn near all of them.

However, Houston has a lo'cal guy that does his own commercials: Mattress Mack. I can't push the mute or change channels fast enough....

Aunt Flow
12-06-2006, 01:13 AM
Especially the most recent one with the giant (what are they supposed to be?) people/monster things doing the Pepto dance. The implications of one of those things letting loose with the green apple squirts are troublesome.

>.> I personally find that commercial absolutely hilarious.

Tuckerfan
12-06-2006, 04:22 AM
>.> I personally find that commercial absolutely hilarious.Given your username, I'm not really surprised by that.

asterion
12-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Those car GPS commercials set to Carol of the Bells. The ad worked in the sense that I remember the product name (damned if I'll repeat it here, though), but it backfired because now I'm quite averse to buying it.Oh, yeah. I've never liked Carol of the Bells (it creeps me out for some reason) and that commerical is just worse.

Abby_Emma_Sasha
12-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Miss Flora and her stupid cranberry choir. God, i hate that commercial. If you've not seen it, Flora sings about the urinary tract and how cranberries aid in avoiding infections. And she has a cranberry choir. Gahhhhh!

First of all, this not news. We have long known that cranberry juice is helpful in warding off UTI's. Second, I do not want to hear people singing about their innards.

The Geico caveman: I love him! Come on, he's smart, articulate and kinda cute.
I think the commercials are very clever and I wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

"walking upright, discovering fire, inventing the wheel, laying the foundation for all mankind. Good point. Sorry we couldn't get that to you sooner."

Dung Beetle
12-08-2006, 09:45 AM
The Geico caveman: I love him! Come on, he's smart, articulate and kinda cute.
I think the commercials are very clever and I wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

"walking upright, discovering fire, inventing the wheel, laying the foundation for all mankind. Good point. Sorry we couldn't get that to you sooner."
Actually, there is a new caveman commercial out, but it's kind of disappointing. It's a caveman seeing a therapist about why these ads upset him. They used the wrong caveman, and it doesn't look like his makeup was applied very well either. Bummer. :(

Wee Bairn
12-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Dung, I agree- the new Caveman commerical is a big letdown, and they should have used one of the two main cavemen instead of the new one- he doesn't have the caveman "look" the other two have.

An Arky
12-08-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm coming to this thread late and didn't read the whole thing, so forgive me if this has been mentioned already...

There's a DirecTV commercial that is in fairly heavy rotation that has background music with a male singer with double-tracked vocals that are out of tune with each other and it drives me absolutely batshit insane. It goes something something ...sooner or later... something something . I've been trying to find out who does that song so I can hunt them down and kill them.

Abby_Emma_Sasha
12-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Actually, there is a new caveman commercial out, but it's kind of disappointing. It's a caveman seeing a therapist about why these ads upset him. They used the wrong caveman, and it doesn't look like his makeup was applied very well either.

Yeah, I have seen the one with the therapist and it was meh. I hope they can do something better, but I don't think they can top the "talk show" commercial.

robby
12-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Damn near all of them.

However, Houston has a lo'cal guy that does his own commercials: Mattress Mack. I can't push the mute or change channels fast enough....
Holy cow, I moved away from Houston over 15 years ago, and Mattress Mack is still at it?

I'm wondering if he'll go national, like Empire Carpet. I was living in the Chicago area over 20 years ago, listening to them sing, "588-2300...Empire..."

Now 20 years later, they've animated the Empire Carpet guy, and it's now an 800 number, "(800) 588-2300...Empire...Today." (They must have had to switch their name to "Empire Today" when they went national.)

Carl Corey
12-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Something about the Empire Carpet guy creeps me out.

And now I have that stupid jingle stuck in my head.

Zakalwe
12-08-2006, 01:25 PM
but I don't think they can top the "talk show" commercial.Yeah, the look on the caveman's face when the lady says "looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the rock" is fantastic.

The airport one is made for me by the old style tennis racket bag over the caveman's shoulder. Perfect.

There is a radio commercial for - I think - an internet provider. A band introduces their new "hit" single. "You can't wrap joy, you can't wrap..."Embarq. It's also a TV ad which was funny once. The utter sincerity of the singers cracked me up the first time I saw it (especially the singer shaking the present he's holding right at the end of the song), but it got old *fast*.

Poysyn
12-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I personally hate the Popto commercials and also the Wendy's commercial where the guy is eating some sort of manly burger and gives his girlfriend a bite. Suddenly she starts slouching, changes the TV to some sporting event, outs her hand down her pants and asks him to pull her finger.

Yeah, because all men act like that constantly.

Abby_Emma_Sasha
12-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Yeah Poysyn i hate that crap too. I don't eat Wendy's burgers but if I eat a "manly" meal I surely will not burp or poot. I can conduct myself like a decent human being when eating food I like. Stupid shit.

eleanorigby
12-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Those Italian liquer ads that pepper the airwaves during TDS and Colbert. I can't stand them. I will never drink whatever it is that they're selling (can't recall name).

I hate most commercials-even if they're clever--it gets old really fast.

AuntiePam
12-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Those Italian liquer ads that pepper the airwaves during TDS and Colbert. I can't stand them. I will never drink whatever it is that they're selling (can't recall name).

I think it's Amaretto di Saronno (sp?) -- the one where the bartender gets all googley-eyed when the woman licks the ice cube? "Damn! I've never seen a tongue used like that before!"

That's awful stuff, the drink and the ad.

cruel butterfly
12-08-2006, 03:50 PM
The Yoplait commercial with the two women comparing the lusciousness of the whipped yogurt to various sensuous experiences such as dating a massage therapist.

I can handle most of them until they get to the part where one says something about shoe-shopping and the other one says, "...for chocolate-covered heels..."

:rolleyes:

Chocolate-covered heels? WTF is that supposed to mean exactly? I can handle most commercials--in fact, I tend to like a lot of them--but they have to at least make some kind of sense. Chocolate-covered heels...for god's sake...

Largo62
12-08-2006, 06:14 PM
There's a recent Arby's ad that shows several construction workers paying no attention as a couple of stone foxes walk past them, then starting to whistle and go ape shit when a chubby guy saunters by eating an Arby's sandwich and sucking suggestively on a straw in, what, a milk shake? I can't believe a real construction worker would react that way to a fat guy with an Arby's whatever even if he'd been starved for days.

And Arby's has never been that good.

JSexton
12-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Radio commercials: anything with Tom Shane. If you don't have a Shane Company jeweler in your area, you are very, very lucky.
But their new tagline is great: "He's dull. But he's brilliant!" It works on so many levels, and shows that he can laugh at himself.

And I enjoy the caveman series. Doesn't make me want Geico insurance, but I'm entertained. I like how the airport walkway one has no lines at all. Silent comedy is hard.

wolfman
12-08-2006, 06:29 PM
There is one that is possibly the worst add for a product in the history of time.

It's some party game that aparently has things you are not supposed to say and a little buzzer you use to beep out somone who says it. It's a group of happy-fun-hip-20-29-year olds(tm) playing while the girl keeps screwing up and the guy keeps beeping her. (whoa, it just came on at this point in my typing). The girl keeps getting more and more pissy until it eventually shows her being a frigid,humorless, bitch.
It concurently reminds of the loser who wrecks any type of game, because they can't accpet their own incompetance, while it points out that actually getting the game is a waste because at any party there will be 'one of those' and it will never get used, and be no fun.

jayjay
12-08-2006, 06:45 PM
I can't believe a real construction worker would react that way to a fat guy

You haven't met some of the construction workers I have... ;)

AuntiePam
12-08-2006, 06:58 PM
There is one that is possibly the worst add for a product in the history of time.

It's some party game that aparently has things you are not supposed to say and a little buzzer you use to beep out somone who says it.

I think that's for Taboo. Yeah, it's awful. The woman holds a grudge all the way home and buzzes her husband whenever he talks to her. Not funny at all.

Jeep's Phoenix
12-08-2006, 07:02 PM
It's some party game that aparently has things you are not supposed to say and a little buzzer you use to beep out somone who says it. It's a group of happy-fun-hip-20-29-year olds(tm) playing while the girl keeps screwing up and the guy keeps beeping her. (whoa, it just came on at this point in my typing). The girl keeps getting more and more pissy until it eventually shows her being a frigid,humorless, bitch.
Wait, isn't that the one where the girl's boyfriend/husband is going out of his way to "buzz" her? I think her actions were justified -- he was acting like an ass.

annanate
12-08-2006, 07:42 PM
I hate the BMW ad where they show the two little kids opening their gifts on Christmas morning and they both start screaming, "YES! YES! YES!" I want to slap both of the kids and then the idiots that thought their home movies from last Christmas would make a good commercial.

Morbo
12-08-2006, 08:09 PM
I'm aware of the fact that I have an inexplicable hatred for this guy...

There's a Sam Adams commercial where all their employees talk about how much more hops they use than anyone else, yadda yadda, but then at the end there's this dude with this creepy smile on his face that says "Don't be afraid of flavor, my man!" and it absolutely burns my fucking toast. I hate him, I hate his smile, I hate his condescending comment. Don't be afraid of flavor? Oh, so I'm afraid of flavor because I don't drink your shitty ass horse piss beer, my man? I want to break my glass of Hammerhead across your smug fucking head, my man. Fuckface bag of shit.

levdrakon
12-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Can't remember now, but has anyone mentioned the Captain Morgan's Rum commercials? "Everyone's got a little Captain in them." That line is really stupid. Like everyone's walking around a little drunk. There was one commercial where they were listing everyone with "a little Captain in them" and it was a dentist. :eek: I don't want my dentist to have a little Captain in him!

Some of the later ones are actually kinda funny - right up until the end when whoever "has a little Captain in them" lifts up their left leg like they're peeing on a fire hydrant. That just looks stupid.

fachverwirrt
12-08-2006, 09:00 PM
But their new tagline is great: "He's dull. But he's brilliant!" It works on so many levels, and shows that he can laugh at himself.

Except in order to get to the tagline you still have to endure 28 seconds of Tom's irritating drone. And I never get there because I inevitably change the station.