PDA

View Full Version : Has your NFL team's season gone down in flames, too?

HelloKitty
12-03-2006, 08:24 PM
The Chiefs annual meltdown occurred in week 13 when they allowed Cleveland---CLEVELAND---to come from 14 pts down and win in overtime.

So KC still has a chance at a Wild Card playoff spot. BUT THEY CAN'T WIN A FRAKKING GAME ON THE ROAD SO WHY BOTHER!!!????!!!

Who else has been let down yet again by the team they can't seem to get out of their blood?

gonzomax
12-03-2006, 08:26 PM
The Chiefs annual meltdown occurred in week 13 when they allowed Cleveland---CLEVELAND---to come from 14 pts down and win in overtime.

So KC still has a chance at a Wild Card playoff spot. BUT THEY CAN'T WIN A FRAKKING GAME ON THE ROAD SO WHY BOTHER!!!????!!!

Who else has been let down yet again by the team they can't seem to get out of their blood?
Detroit Lions a mere 50 years .Our last road win was during Roman Empire.

Oakminster
12-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Not me. My Saints are contenders this year. 8-4, with games against Dallas, Washington, NY, and Carolina to go. If the playoffs started today, all but Washington would be in. It's a tough road, but a first round bye is possible....GEAUX SAINTS!

brianjedi
12-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Cincy's had some problems, but they're 7-5 and still in the hunt for a Wild Card berth.

Frank
12-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Shanny thinks so.

Yet Cutler hasn't thrown a touchdown pass yet. :D

kunilou
12-03-2006, 09:28 PM
You think getting beat by the Browns is a bad thing?

The Rams lost to the freakin' Arizona Cardinals 34-20!

It should have been 34-13, but the Rams managed to get a touchdown with :35 left in the game.

want2know
12-03-2006, 09:31 PM
I like 3 teams:

Giants -- now have lost 4 straight, including that disaster at Tennessee last week. Still in playoff hunt, but the light is dimming fast.

Jets -- Need at least 1 more win for a good chance at the postseason. Looking better than 3 weeks ago, though.

Bucs --I lived in Tampa 1990-1996. This 3-9 season is one bit of nostalgia I didn't need to see. Chucky must go!

drm
12-03-2006, 09:32 PM
i'm a Colts fan so things won't go down in flames for me until the playoffs, which is worse in my opinion. I have to tell you, losses against Dallas and Tennessee aren't filling me full of confidence. I wouldn't say they've gone down in flames though, they are 10-2 after all.

Suburban Plankton
12-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Several weeks ago. See this thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=382937&highlight=steelers+march) for all the gory details.

Monstre
12-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Well, as a lifelong Dallas fan (since I was a little Monstreling, age 7), I'm happy about their successes that have picked up their season in the last month or so. 4 straight wins putting them now at 8-4 and in the driver's seat in the NFC East. They square off with the 8-4 Saints next week -- fortunately my 'Boys have home field advantage. That one could decide who ends up in the lead position for a first round bye.

I'm even happier by the promise that Romo is showing as QB -- if he keeps playing well, he could be the next franschise QB for Dallas. They've been looking for a solid one since Aikman retired.

Meanwhile, my other team (Jacksonville -- since I grew up in that area) is off and on, not really playing consistent. They won today, which helps them join the wild card race (especially since KC lost), but there's going to be a lot of competition for those two wild card spots in the AFC this season!

Rysto
12-03-2006, 09:58 PM
My CFL team folded under the same owner who killed off Ottawa's original team.

DataZak
12-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Well, the Giants haven't gone down in flames yet. There's some turbulence and the stewardess is putting on the lifejacket just in case but there's still hope.

The way things are going I'll be happy with an 8-8 season. Again. :(

some white dude
12-03-2006, 10:11 PM
The Chiefs annual meltdown occurred in week 13 when they allowed Cleveland---CLEVELAND---to come from 14 pts down and win in overtime.You forgot to add that Cleveland's second string quarterback was the one who led the comeback. :D

As a Browns fan living in a Lions market, I wonder what people mean when they speak of parity in the NFL. I just keep telling myself the reward remaining loyal will be huge once we finally win a Super Bowl.

Nuveau Geek
12-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Well, I feel like the Broncos are slowly going up in flames. The problem the team was having was not Plummer's fault. Al Wilson is injured and Cutler plays like the rookie he is. I had really high hopes for the post-season, and now, quite frankly, I doubt we'll make it past the wildcard round. Not with Cutler as our qb.

Maybe next year.

Frosted Glass
12-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Stupid freakin Giants. They continue to disappoint me year after year. Its as if the only thing I have to look forward to is an annual last minute rush for the wildcard. This is depressing.

Well, I feel like the Broncos are slowly going up in flames. The problem the team was having was not Plummer's fault. Al Wilson is injured and Cutler plays like the rookie he is. I had really high hopes for the post-season, and now, quite frankly, I doubt we'll make it past the wildcard round. Not with Cutler as our qb.

Maybe next year.

Don't look now buddy.

Anastasaeon
12-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Not yet. Go Hawks!

*nervously watching the now-tie game with Denver*

At least we're playing better than last week. We won, but shite, what a mess that was.

Anastasaeon
12-03-2006, 11:37 PM
*nervously watching the now-tie game with Denver*

It's GOOD! However, I think Mr. Stasaeon just had a heart attack.

Least Original User Name Ever
12-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Fuckin' Lions.

Stuffy
12-04-2006, 01:10 AM
The Niners, last week. A week before we were looking at a possible wild card berth. Today's loss to the Saints was just icing on the cake.

Guinastasia
12-04-2006, 01:17 AM
I'm a Steelers fan. I think that about says it all.

jackelope
12-04-2006, 01:18 AM
The Falcons started the season hot; we were 5-2. Then we lost four consecutive games: Lions, Browns, Ravens, Saints. Suddenly we were 5-6.

Today we beat the Redskins to go to 6-6, but still; this is not how I was hoping things would be in week 13.

After 35 years rooting for the Falcons, I should be used to this by now. But every year I fall for the tease, like Charlie Brown trying to kick that stupid football. "This year will be different," I tell myself, despite all evidence to the contrary.

BabaBooey
12-04-2006, 01:19 AM
I keep waiting for it to happen, and it looked like we were on our way down the crapper with the AFC North skid, but we've rebounded nicely in dominating two potential wildcard teams. If we beat Dallas next week momentum could very well get us a first round bye. Brees for MVP, Colston for OROY, Payton for Coach of the Year.

Weirddave
12-04-2006, 01:30 AM
I'm quite happy with the Ravens season so far, thankyouverymuch.

garygnu
12-04-2006, 01:47 AM
The Niners, last week. A week before we were looking at a possible wild card berth. Today's loss to the Saints was just icing on the cake.
"Going down in flames" implies high initial expectations. It was fun while it lasted, now we get to scout defensive college players, yay!

Bearflag70
12-04-2006, 02:00 AM
My top 2 teams are Dallas then San Diego. This may be a great year.

Manatee
12-04-2006, 03:53 AM
As a Chargers fan since the Air Coryell days, it's nice to finally feel good about my team (the Super Bowl appearance felt more flukey than skillful; at the risk of putting the whammy on 'em, I like this year's team better than that one).

N9IWP
12-04-2006, 09:42 AM
The Packer's road record is better than thier home record (not that thier road record is so hot either)
I rememeber the days when even when they were bad they were OK at home.

Brian

zamboniracer
12-04-2006, 09:48 AM
As a Browns fan living in a Lions market, I wonder what people mean when they speak of parity in the NFL. I just keep telling myself the reward remaining loyal will be huge once we finally win a Super Bowl.

Speaking as a recovering former Browns' fan, I advise you to seek a qualified mental health professional, like I do. :D

Hampshire
12-04-2006, 09:58 AM
The entire NFC North.

The Lions. Enough said.
The Packers. Season is over. The young team with the veteran quarterback combination just ain't cutting it.
The Vikings. Season is over. Do they even have a quarterback for next week?
The Bears. Sure they have a great record. But if they think they are going to make a superbowl run on defense alone with a Rex Grossman offense at the helm they're just kidding themselves.
Sorry NFC North. No conteders here.

bouv
12-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Well, I really can't complain about the Pats season, but...I can. I mean, The Jets? They lost to the fucking Jets? Come on!

12-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Spoiled brat *mumbles something about having a 5 year window of no-bitching after winning a Super Bowl*

Lord Ashtar
12-04-2006, 11:32 AM
This year has been a repeat of the 2000 season for the Redskins. They made the playoffs last year, signed a whole bunch of free agents to fill holes (at least they weren't all over the hill the way they were last time), and were supposed to at least go to the NFC championship. Now there's talk in DC of how Gibbs needs to be fired.

If Snyder fires Joe Gibbs, no self-respecting coach will ever work for him again.

Chanteuse
12-04-2006, 11:53 AM
My top 2 teams are Dallas then San Diego. This may be a great year.

Me too! Are we related or something? ;)

(The reason I like SD is because in their very first season, my mom was one of the cheerleaders! So how can I not root for them? :) )

lieu
12-04-2006, 12:01 PM
My Saints...In the 49ers game yesterday, what were the announcers saying about the relationships between Sean Payton and Parcells and Payton and Romo? We were entertaining and I couldn't catch if things were good or if they'd deteriorated since Sean had left.

Dallas fan, so things are pretty satisfying right now playoff wise.

I do though live in Houston and while the playoffs would have been a stretch this year, a few less ass kickings might have been nice. Thanks goodness for Jacksonville. :)

garygnu
12-04-2006, 12:04 PM
In the 49ers game yesterday, what were the announcers saying about the relationships between Sean Payton and Parcells and Payton and Romo? We were entertaining and I couldn't catch if things were good or if they'd deteriorated since Sean had left.

Dallas fan, so things are pretty satisfying right now playoff wise.

I do though live in Houston and while the playoffs would have been a stretch this year, a few less ass kickings might have been nice. Thanks goodness for Jacksonville. :)
Sean Payton left Parcells's staff to coach the Saints, but remains on friendly, speaking terms (unlike others in the same situation). Payton also tried to get Romo to the Saints (much like Holmgren and Hasselback in Seattle) before ending up with Drew Brees.

Labtrash
12-04-2006, 12:51 PM
bouv Well, I really can't complain about the Pats season, but...I can. I mean, The Jets? They lost to the fucking Jets? Come on!

seconded (esp. the Jets part) - but a lot of our wins have been, let's just say, UGLY

Bearflag70
12-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Me too! Are we related or something? ;)

(The reason I like SD is because in their very first season, my mom was one of the cheerleaders! So how can I not root for them? :) )

I was born in TX and grew up in SoCal.

Dob
12-04-2006, 12:56 PM
I'm with Ashtar... The Redskins have once again broken my football soul. every year, so much promise... New Players! New Coach! Same freakin results. We have been to the playoffs twice since 1991!! Twice! Arrgggg!

Stuffy
12-04-2006, 01:16 PM
"Going down in flames" implies high initial expectations. It was fun while it lasted, now we get to scout defensive college players, yay!

Yeah but that was a fun 15 minutes. Well, at least we're not the Raiders.

IvoryTowerDenizen
12-04-2006, 01:22 PM
It's hard to be a Bills fan

I grew up with the 1970-1980s Bills.

The only source of pride we had was the amazing player OJ Simpson!!! Oh, how proud we were of him. We may have lost most of our games, but we had The Juice.

Well, we all know how well that ended up.

Then in the middle of the '80s we had Jim Kelly and went to the Superbowl, mulitple times- in a row- a new league record!!! What pride, what joy!!

We never won.

Sucks to be a Bills fan.

And yet, a Bills fan I remain.

usar_jag
12-04-2006, 01:22 PM
I see that I am the only Dolphan to raise a hand--it's probably because all of the others have killed themselves...

IvoryTowerDenizen
12-04-2006, 01:25 PM
I see that I am the only Dolphan to raise a hand--it's probably because all of the others have killed themselves...

My husband is a Dolphins' fan. Can barely work up the enthusiasm to check the scores anymore...

MovieMogul
12-04-2006, 01:29 PM
As a Chargers fan since the Air Coryell days, it's nice to finally feel good about my team (the Super Bowl appearance felt more flukey than skillful; at the risk of putting the whammy on 'em, I like this year's team better than that one).Amen to that! I'm still terribly saddened that Dan Fouts never saw a Super Bowl. :(

But this year? Oh doctor! We've got the best record in the league (tied with the Bears & Colts) and have won 6 straight so far. I'd be foolish to underestimate Denver, Seattle and even Kansas City (we lost to them once already this year), but our prospects are so good I'm very excited.

G :) SAN DIEG :eek: !

garygnu
12-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Yeah but that was a fun 15 minutes. Well, at least we're not the Raiders.
Oh yeah, big fun. My in-laws are all Raiderfans :D :D :D .

hajario
12-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Charger fan since '81. Yeah!

MonkeyMule
12-04-2006, 03:29 PM
The reason I like SD is because in their very first season, my mom was one of the cheerleaders! So how can I not root for them? :)

Dude! Your dad married an NFL Cheerleader? You have 100% pure pimpitude running in your VEINS!

I so envy you. :D

Khadaji
12-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Steelers are out of it. I mostly blame Cower for not making Big Ben sit out until he got healthy (Batch was doing well) and not taking Santonio Holmes off of special teams after he fumbled away his third game.

MadTheSwine
12-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Yup, time to put in my near worn out Super Bowl XXXIV tape again.

Chanteuse
12-04-2006, 08:00 PM
I was born in TX and grew up in SoCal.

I swear I'm not making this up.

I was born in Southern California (La Mesa)--and grew up in Texas!!

Chanteuse
12-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Dude! Your dad married an NFL Cheerleader? You have 100% pure pimpitude running in your VEINS!

I so envy you. :D

I don't know if pimpitude counts for me, since I'm not really a dude--I'm a chick! :)

Dad was a high school cheerleader, too. You'd think I'd be a hot chick, but alas, I'm not. Maybe if I ever drop all my extra weight! :D

Hippy Hollow
12-04-2006, 08:19 PM
I'm with Ashtar... The Redskins have once again broken my football soul. every year, so much promise... New Players! New Coach! Same freakin results. We have been to the playoffs twice since 1991!! Twice! Arrgggg!
Add me to the brotherhood of the miserable. I saw it coming. Pathetic preseason perfomances (and training camp that was described as Club Med). Portis getting his shoulder busted in the meaningless NE preseason game. Pearson Prioleau going down in the first play of the season...

The Brunell era is over, which makes the team middle of the road instead of roadkill. Campbell has a nice arm and great athleticism - yeah, he threw the bonehead pick and lost the game, but we were in the game until then. Defense needs linebacking stat. We're so banged up it isn't funny, so let's see what happens when Campbell has an entire camp taking the snaps, Portis is back, and Springs is in the mix.

If Joe wants back in next year the team is his. Snyder is a lifelong 'Skins fan. He'd never fire Gibbs. Williams' defense is looking shaky and I hear he is full of himself, but the D has improved considerably in the last few games. Get the D improved and this is a team that is as good as the rest of the NFC East.

Lions and Cards fans - maybe your teams should be combined or something. There is a lot of parity in the NFL, but those two teams have never been better than average. I seem to remember the Lions being in the playoffs in the early 90s, though.

gonzomax
12-05-2006, 11:15 AM
The Barry Sanders days. He kept the Lions fans alive but management killed him. Since then we have proven how no matter how many rules the league makes to achieve parity ,arrogant mismanagement will trump them. One Lion coach asked what do You have to do to get fired here. Millan must also ask. Our team doesn't go down in flames .It has been consumed in a funeral pyre for decades.

The Great Sun Jester
12-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Not yet. Go Hawks!

Yep, that would be The Donkeys bursting into flames. Way to turn a 7-2 record (1st place) into 7-5 (planning for an early vacation) morons.

I'm a whore though--I never picked up a love for the Broncos when I moved here from Seattle.

Siege
12-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Another Steelers fan checking in. We just aren't that good this year. We turn the ball over too many times, for openers. Ah, well. We've been spoiled in this town.

My friend the Lions fan has given up hope for his team and is now rooting for them to get the first draft pick.

jimmmy
12-05-2006, 12:30 PM
With you Astar, Dob and Hippy Hollow.

I am a Redskins fan who expected great things this year and I kept it going all the way through Sunday even talking then vaguely of how - if we won out -- there was still a chance. Not that I bought that really but I kept dreaming ...

Now ... I guess it would be nice if Campbell could develop before we begin FA FA Speculation (http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86379) but I know it won't happen. I Expect to win the the Pre-season Free agent battle again like we always do ( we are the 60's Celtics of FA) and expect to be talking about our playoff seed this time next year (what? what?)

SenorBeef
12-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Then in the middle of the '80s we had Jim Kelly and went to the Superbowl, mulitple times- in a row- a new league record!!! What pride, what joy!!

We never won.

Sucks to be a Bills fan.

And yet, a Bills fan I remain.

How big a fan can you be if you don't know the decade of your super bowl losses? :p

Hippy Hollow
12-05-2006, 07:06 PM
With you Astar, Dob and Hippy Hollow.

I am a Redskins fan who expected great things this year and I kept it going all the way through Sunday even talking then vaguely of how - if we won out -- there was still a chance. Not that I bought that really but I kept dreaming ...

Now ... I guess it would be nice if Campbell could develop before we begin FA FA Speculation (http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86379) but I know it won't happen. I Expect to win the the Pre-season Free agent battle again like we always do ( we are the 60's Celtics of FA) and expect to be talking about our playoff seed this time next year (what? what?)
Holy crap, I hope that's just talk. That makes no fucking sense whatsoever!

Collins seems serviceable as a backup. Another #2 guy, fair enough. But Leftwich?

The offense isn't bad. No real needs there. The defense needs linebacking help, and probably another pass rusher. Just for once I wish they'd go for someone somewhat unknown or emerging instead of the biggest name out there.

IvoryTowerDenizen
12-05-2006, 08:11 PM
How big a fan can you be if you don't know the decade of your super bowl losses? :p

OK- so preview should be my friend and I can't type- but it wasn't all my fault... That pesky 8 is right there next to the 9, waiting to be pressed, enticing me, looking at me...

The 8 asked for it, and the 9 was feeling coy. What was I to do???

12-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Push em both.