PDA

View Full Version : "Star TreK" trivia contest

Pages : [1] 2

Elendil's Heir
12-04-2006, 08:27 AM
The Rules:

Ask about any episode, movie or incarnation. You must rely on your memory - you can't consult any book, watch an episode or a movie, or ask someone else, either in formulating or answering a question. Number your question(s) (no more than five at a time, please), in sequence after those that came before. You can't post questions of your own until you've correctly answered at least one earlier question.

I'll start the ball rolling:

1. What is James T. Kirk's middle name?
2. What soup does Nurse Chapel make for Spock in "Amok Time"?
3. Cyrano Jones tries to interest the K-7 bartender in what products other than tribbles?
4. Harry Kim rises to the command of what ship?
5. The Enterprise-C is christened with a bottle of what brand of champagne?

simster
12-04-2006, 08:39 AM
1. Tiberius
2. Plumok
3. Fire Crystals (for one)
4. Voyager
5. Unknown... as the Christening of the C is not shown in any known footage.

Ethilrist
12-04-2006, 09:01 AM
1. Something beginning with "R", if Where No Man Has Gone Before is to be believed.
2. Plomik.

Otto
12-04-2006, 09:35 AM
3. Cyrano Jones tries to interest the K-7 bartender in what products other than tribbles?
Spican flame gems and some sort of "glow water" (Alterean perhaps?). The barkeep had enough flame gems and used the glow water to polish then.

Elendil's Heir
12-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Simster and Ethilrist are both correct on question 1, and Otto is partially correct as to question 3. Ask questions of your own, if you like.

Simster, you're right as to question 5. :smack: I meant the Enterprise-B.

The other answers given so far are incorrect (spelling counts!)

tdn
12-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Simster, you're right as to question 5. :smack: I meant the Enterprise-B.
Dom Perignon. (sp?)

t1. What race is Spock, and how did his ears get so pointy? (As explained to a police officer.)
t2. Where was Kirk born?
t3. What was Scotty's nephew's name?
t4. Where do some races keep their genitals?
t5. What is the genesis of the first medical tricorder? (Hint: common household item)

tdn
12-04-2006, 10:37 AM
One more, for the Uber-geek:

t6. What is the name of the actor who played Spot? Name one other thing he's been in. (Feel free to use the internet.)

Ethilrist
12-04-2006, 10:41 AM
t1. What race is Spock, and how did his ears get so pointy? (As explained to a police officer.)
t2. Where was Kirk born?
t4. Where do some races keep their genitals?
t5. What is the genesis of the first medical tricorder? (Hint: common household item)
t1: Chinese? Accident with a harvesting machine as a child.
t2: Iowa.
t4: knees.
t5: salt shaker.

tdn
12-04-2006, 10:46 AM
t2: Iowa.
t4: knees.
t5: salt shaker.
All correct.

Draelin
12-04-2006, 10:49 AM

Well, that, and he did a little too much LDS in the sixties. :)

Electronic Chaos
12-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Well, that, and he did a little too much LDS in the sixties. :)

Indeed. Those Mormons are a kinky bunch.

Bearflag70
12-04-2006, 11:59 AM
What 5-digit number did Enterprise use to force Reliant to lower shields?

ivylass
12-04-2006, 12:02 PM

Actually, I think it was a rice-picking machine.

Infovore
12-04-2006, 12:33 PM
2 from Elendil's Heir's list:

Plomeek.

Hentor the Barbarian
12-04-2006, 12:37 PM
I apologize for violating the rules, but here's a really arcane one:

In which original series episode can one clearly see a stunt man rip the seat of his pants?

want2know
12-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Dom Perignon. (sp?)

Peter Preston (killed in ST II-TWOK)

w1: Name 2 Oscar winners with recurring roles in ST shows.
w2: What did Scotty get drunk on in the holodeck? And how did Data describe it?
w3: How did Lwaxana save Odo's life?
w4: Where was Sisko born and raised?
w5: While talking to Garak, what did Quark compare the Federation to?

Steve MB
12-04-2006, 12:49 PM
The salt shakers were the genesis of McCoy's small handheld instruments, not the "medical tricorder" (which pretty much looks like any other tricorder, except that it's the one McCoy carries).

1. Which character attempted to bribe his way out of the Enterprise (no bloody A, B, C, or D) brig?

Weirddave
12-04-2006, 12:55 PM
I apologize for violating the rules, but here's a really arcane one:

In which original series episode can one clearly see a stunt man rip the seat of his pants?
The Cloudminers?

Elendil's Heir
12-04-2006, 01:04 PM
2 from Elendil's Heir's list:

Plomeek.

Right you are.

For numbering questions, let's keep it sequential, as I asked in the OP. Sorry I didn't make that clear. So tdn's would be #6-11, Hentor's would be 12, want2know's would be 13-18, Bear Flag's would be 19, Hentor's would be 20, and Steve MB 's would be 21. The next posted question would be 22. Thanks.

Elendil's Heir
12-04-2006, 01:09 PM

[13]: Name 2 Oscar winners with recurring roles in ST shows.
[14]: What did Scotty get drunk on in the holodeck? And how did Data describe it?
[15]: How did Lwaxana save Odo's life?
[16]: Where was Sisko born and raised?
[17]: While talking to Garak, what did Quark compare the Federation to?

13. Whoopie Goldberg, who played Guinan on TNG (Oscar win for "Ghost") and Louise Fletcher, who played Kai Winn on DS9 (Oscar for "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest").
14. Don't know the name, but "It is green."
15. Dunno.
16. New Orleans, La.
17. Root beer (one of my favorite ST quotations, ever! Paraphrasing, "It's so insidious and sweet and cloying... and after awhile, you find you actually like it!")

Elendil's Heir
12-04-2006, 01:12 PM
... (Feel free to use the internet.)

As provided in the OP, "You must rely on your memory - you can't consult any book, watch an episode or a movie, or ask someone else, either in formulating or answering a question." Maybe I should have specified the Internet, but I think that falls under "ask someone else" for purposes of the contest.

Thanks!

tdn
12-04-2006, 01:16 PM
As provided in the OP, "You must rely on your memory - you can't consult any book, watch an episode or a movie, or ask someone else, either in formulating or answering a question." Maybe I should have specified the Internet, but I think that falls under "ask someone else" for purposes of the contest.
No problem, except for that question, I figured that no being in the known universe besides me would know the answer. OK, maybe Brent Spiner might. And a handful of trainers.

JThunder
12-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Actually, I think it was a rice-picking machine.Specifically, an "automated rice-picker."

Sir Rhosis
12-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Shatner (or his stunt double) split his pants in The Savage Curtain.

The OP wasn't quite clear, so I am assuming you may ask "behind-the-scenes questions as well.

22. Where did the "Montgomery" in Montgomery Scott come from? Don't just name the source, name why the source named the character this.

23. Who originally wanted to play Ensign Freeman in The Trouble With Tribbles? Why was he rejected for the role?

24. Name another TOS regular besides Shatner to wear a toupee in the movie-era. In the 60s this other actor still had his own hair (most of the time).

Sir Rhosis

Khan
12-04-2006, 03:10 PM
4. Harry Kim rises to the command of what ship?
Do you mean The Nightengale or USS Rhode Island?

w2: What did Scotty get drunk on in the holodeck? And how did Data describe it?
Aldebaran whiskey. Who do you think gave it to Guinan?

w3: How did Lwaxana save Odo's life?
As I recall, she cradled his gelatinous form in the hem of her dress.

24. Name another TOS regular besides Shatner to wear a toupee in the movie-era. In the 60s this other actor still had his own hair (most of the time).
Koenig. I must admit I remember this one from a trivia thread earlier this year.

I will return with my questions later. I have to finish a project by 5.

kurilla
12-04-2006, 03:28 PM
#23 - David Gerrold, author of the episode. Rejected because he was "too skinny" for a Star Fleet officer.

Hentor the Barbarian
12-04-2006, 05:46 PM
My recollection of the pants splitting was that it was a stunt double thrown in the corridor by Ricardo Montalban in Space Seed. I suppose there could have been more than one instance of split pants, or I could have misremembered.

Alan Smithee
12-04-2006, 05:49 PM
I knew David Gerrold was the first part of the answer to 23, but I thought it was because he wasn't a member of the Screen Actors' Guild. (Though "too skinny" sounds like something Gerrold might claim.)

Khan
12-04-2006, 05:59 PM
k1: Which member of the Federation can't be told apart by anyone who's not a member of that species?

k2: We know Jeffrey Combs from his roles as Weyoun, Shran, Liquidator Brunt, FCA, and others, but none of his characters appeared on TNG. What lead role in that series did he audition for?

k3: The actors who played Gul Dukat and the female shapeshifter appeared in various roles in TNG before they appeared on DS9. Name them.

k4: Which one of Phlox's pets did he use to clear the Xindi neural parasites out of Hoshi's nervous system?

k5: How many members of Khan's crew got killed by the Ceti Eels?

Steve MB
12-04-2006, 06:00 PM
I knew David Gerrold was the first part of the answer to 23, but I thought it was because he wasn't a member of the Screen Actors' Guild. (Though "too skinny" sounds like something Gerrold might claim.)
IIRC, joining SAG would simply be a matter of 1)showing that you had a paid acting gig lined up, 2)signing up, and 3)paying the dues.

want2know
12-04-2006, 06:27 PM
13. Whoopie Goldberg, who played Guinan on TNG (Oscar win for "Ghost") and Louise Fletcher, who played Kai Winn on DS9 (Oscar for "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest").
14. Don't know the name, but "It is green."
15. Dunno.
16. New Orleans, La.
17. Root beer (one of my favorite ST quotations, ever! Paraphrasing, "It's so insidious and sweet and cloying... and after awhile, you find you actually like it!")
All correct. And Khan 's answers to the rest are also correct.

DocCathode
12-04-2006, 06:34 PM
k1: Which member of the Federation can't be told apart by anyone who's not a member of that species?

Benzites. IIRC Only individuals from the same geographic region looked alike. They also require cool little vaporizers to breathe.

Khan
12-04-2006, 06:45 PM
You're right, Doc. I got interested in learning about them after I posted my questions, so I looked them up. I took it to mean that there was only one geostructure on their home planet, but it turns out that I misread. Nice catch.

Incidentally, wouldn't it have been clever if they'd had the Enterprise B christened with a vintage from the Picard family vineyards? Then again, the intertwined fates of so many generations of space heroes tends to get tiresome. Oh well.

DocCathode
12-04-2006, 08:28 PM
DC1-What song can Ryker not play?

DC2-What do Bajorans do when somebody dies? For how long?

DC3- When exposed to the Manheim Effect, Data violates his programming. What does he do that should be unable to do?

Khan
12-04-2006, 09:05 PM
DC1 - Nightbird

DC3 - "guess" My answer is, amusingly, just that. ;)

DirkGntly
12-04-2006, 09:12 PM

k2: We know Jeffrey Combs from his roles as Weyoun, Shran, Liquidator Brunt, FCA, and others, but none of his characters appeared on TNG. What lead role in that series did he audition for?

k3: The actors who played Gul Dukat and the female shapeshifter appeared in various roles in TNG before they appeared on DS9. Name them.

k4: Which one of Phlox's pets did he use to clear the Xindi neural parasites out of Hoshi's nervous system?

k5: How many members of Khan's crew got killed by the Ceti Eels?
Don't know about the others...but K2 is that he auditioned for the role of Riker.
Does that mean I get to ask some questions now?

Khan
12-04-2006, 09:14 PM
As for DC2, I know which episode you're referring to. "The Next Phase," where Geordi and Ro accidentally get cloaked in an accident while helping a Romulan scout ship. Damned if I can remember what the Bajoran funeral ritual is.

k6 - Where was Deep Space 9 moved after the Bajoran Wormhole was discovered?

k7 - Apropos of the ordinal for this question, what is the name of the crewmember from the Enterprise in "Trials and Tribble-ations" who Bashir thinks he needs to hook up with in case he's predestined to become his own grandfather?

k8 - Name 5 of the ships destroyed by the Borg at the battle of Wolf 359. Bonus: how many Starfleet ships were lost there?

k9 - In STIV, what hospital was Chekov taken to after he took a dive off the deck of the "Enterprise?"

k10 - Name the crewmembers of the Enterprise A who carried out the assassination of Chancellor Gorkon.

Khan
12-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Don't know about the others...but K2 is that he auditioned for the role of Riker.
Does that mean I get to ask some questions now?
Nicely done. That does indeed mean that you're up.

DocCathode
12-04-2006, 09:24 PM
DC3 - "guess" My answer is, amusingly, just that. ;)

You got the song right. But not this one.

Steve MB
12-04-2006, 10:11 PM
k10 - Name the crewmembers of the Enterprise A who carried out the assassination of Chancellor Gorkon.
Burke and Samno.

Elendil's Heir
12-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Sir Rhosis, "behind the scenes" questions are certainly allowed - even encouraged, if not too obscure!

Khan, as to question 4, yes, I was thinking of the USS Rhode Island from VGR "Endgame."

Numbering, Trekkers, numbering! Khan 's k1-k5 would be #25-29. Doc Cathode's DC1-DC3 would be #30-32. Khan's subsequent k6-k10 would be #33-37. The next posted question should be #38.

Sir Rhosis
12-05-2006, 12:04 AM
Answer to k3 (aka 27): Marc Alaimo played Gul Macet on TNG's "The Wounded." Salome Jens played the Preserver hologram in TNG's "The Chase."

38. How does former Los Angelese Police Department Lieutenant Wilbur Clingan figure into Star Trek lore?

39. Name the final episodes which had these original story or first draft titles:
a. The Day Charlie Became God
b. The Paleface
c. The Last Gunfight
d. The Unreal McCoy

Sir Rhosis

DocCathode
12-05-2006, 12:08 AM
c. The Last Gunfight

Shadow Of The Gun

Monstre
12-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Marc Alaimo (Dukat) previously played another Cardassian commander, in one of the earlier appearances of Cardassians in TNG -- he played Gul Macet. I think he had some other guest roles as well, but that's the one that I remember well -- playing a different Cardassian before he was Dukat. I remember at the time hearing it like one word -- "Golmacet" -- before I later saw it written and realized that "Gul" was a title.

Sir Rhosis
12-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Close enough, Doc, but actually, "Spectre of The Gun."

DocCathode
12-05-2006, 12:22 AM
I always make that mistake.

I'm pretty sure I know the episodes for the rest, but not their titles.

Alan Smithee
12-05-2006, 01:30 AM
Answer to k3 (aka 27): Marc Alaimo played Gul Macet on TNG's "The Wounded." Salome Jens played the Preserver hologram in TNG's "The Chase."

38. How does former Los Angelese Police Department Lieutenant Wilbur Clingan figure into Star Trek lore?

39. Name the final episodes which had these original story or first draft titles:
b. The Paleface
c. The Last Gunfight
d. The Unreal McCoy

Sir Rhosis
39. a. is Charlie X.

Do you have to get all four to have answered one question correctly?

Khan
12-05-2006, 03:16 AM

I'd say you're right, but you already knew that. :D

Clingan = Klingon

Pushkin
12-05-2006, 03:33 AM
k6 - Where was Deep Space 9 moved after the Bajoran Wormhole was discovered?

Beside the Wormhole? :confused:

k7 - Apropos of the ordinal for this question, what is the name of the crewmember from the Enterprise in "Trials and Tribble-ations" who Bashir thinks he needs to hook up with in case he's predestined to become his own grandfather?

Damn, all I can remember is the look she gave Bashir, and the the invitation to her medical at 1900. Whatley? Watley? She's a lieutenant at any rate, isn't she?

Khan
12-05-2006, 03:48 AM
k6/33 - I'll rephrase. In what region of the Bajoran System is the wormhole located?

k7/34 - Close enough. It was Watley. I wouldn't mind a physical from her either ;)

Malacandra
12-05-2006, 04:22 AM

b. The Paleface
c. The Last Gunfight
d. The Unreal McCoy

Sir Rhosis

39 d. "The Man Trap"

Peter Morris
12-05-2006, 04:40 AM

b. The Paleface

That one where Kirk is adopted into an Indian tribe on an alien planet?
The Paradise Syndrome, I think.

40) What is the combination to Kirk's safe? (The correct answer can be expressed in three words)

Khan
12-05-2006, 05:53 AM
Seeing as how I appear to be stricken with insomnia, here are some booze-themed questions:

41.) What liquor was popular during Kirk's time that had a distinctive curved-neck bottle that Quark also keeps in stock?

42.) What Cardassian liquor was an acquired taste that Damar was particularly fond of?

43.) What real-life product was used as the "prop" for the answer to 42?

44.) Name an officer who was among the few in Starfleet never to have tried Romulan Ale.

45.) What cocktail did Data prepare for Deanna Troi after she beat him in a game of 3D chess?

Elendil's Heir
12-05-2006, 08:58 AM
41. Saurian brandy.
42, Kanar.

Elendil's Heir
12-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Marc Alaimo (Dukat) previously played another Cardassian commander, in one of the earlier appearances of Cardassians in TNG -- he played Gul Macet. I think he had some other guest roles as well, but that's the one that I remember well -- playing a different Cardassian before he was Dukat. I remember at the time hearing it like one word -- "Golmacet" -- before I later saw it written and realized that "Gul" was a title.

You're right. The episode was TNG "The Wounded," and it marked the Cardassians' first appearance. We also learned a lot about O'Brien's harrowing wartime experiences in that episode.

And another answer:

33. The Dinorious Belt (I think that's the correct spelling).

Khan
12-05-2006, 11:11 AM
You're right. The episode was TNG "The Wounded," and it marked the Cardassians' first appearance. We also learned a lot about O'Brien's harrowing wartime experiences in that episode.

And another answer:

33. The Dinorious Belt (I think that's the correct spelling).
Incidentally, the guy who played the warden from The Shawshank Redemption played Captain Maxwell in that episode.

Correct on 33, 41, and 42. I was going to say that it was Donorius, but it turns out it's Denorius. Close enough anyway. ;)

ivylass
12-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Marc Alaimo also played a gambler in that episode where Data loses his head.

Minuet likes all kinds of jazz except one. Which one, and why doesn't she like it?

Riker can't hit the high note, which is why he doesn't like that song. No, I don't know which song, just that he can't hit the high note.

want2know
12-05-2006, 12:51 PM
That one where Kirk is adopted into an Indian tribe on an alien planet?
The Paradise Syndrome, I think.

40) What is the combination to Kirk's safe? (The correct answer can be expressed in three words)
"Get a life!"

Sir Rhosis
12-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Correct answers to all of mine, and I'd say any a., b., c., etc., question would count individually. I did them a. b., c. d., to save typing.

To follow up on a question I posed, since no one has guessed it. Jimmy Doohan gave Scotty his first name of Montgomery. "Montgomery" was his mother's maiden name, it was his own middle name, and it was the first name of one of his sons.

Also, the former Lieutenant Clingan, now in his 80s, occasionally appears at L. A. conventions, billed as the original Klingon.

Sir Rhosis

Elendil's Heir
12-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Marc Alaimo also played a gambler in that episode where Data loses his head.

[46.] Minuet likes all kinds of jazz except one. Which one, and why doesn't she like it?

Riker can't hit the high note, which is why he doesn't like that song. No, I don't know which song, just that he can't hit the high note.

He also played a racist cop in the episode where Sisko is a struggling SF writer in 1950s NYC.

46. Dixieland jazz, because you can't dance to it.

ivylass
12-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Correct!!

DirkGntly
12-05-2006, 07:04 PM
The song is "Misty," I think...

This one is almost too easy:

DG1: What was the registry number of the Reliant?

Okay, this one's too geeky even for me, but I'll state it, and see if I get clobbered later...

DG2: In ST6:TUC, at one point, Scotty is looking at some blueprints/schematics of a "Constitution Class" vessel, but obviously not TOS-era. Why is this out of place on NCC-1701-A?

Khan
12-05-2006, 07:29 PM
The song is "Misty," I think...
It was "Nightbird."

For Dukat/Alaimo we've got Gul Macet, Bart LaRue (the 19th century gambler), and racist cop* from the orb vision so far, but there's still one more (hint: it's not a disguise as a Bajoran or any Prophet/Pah Wraith manifestation... I'm talking TNG, here).

*That's interesting fodder for a question, isn't it?;)

DirkGntly
12-05-2006, 09:31 PM
It was "Nightbird."

For Dukat/Alaimo we've got Gul Macet, Bart LaRue (the 19th century gambler), and racist cop* from the orb vision so far, but there's still one more (hint: it's not a disguise as a Bajoran or any Prophet/Pah Wraith manifestation... I'm talking TNG, here).

*That's interesting fodder for a question, isn't it?;)

I believe he was the "scientist" that faked his own death to discredit the Ferengi metaphasic shield technology...

DocCathode
12-05-2006, 09:37 PM
DC2 and 3 remain unanswered.

49- What is the name of the Ferengi code composed of light and darkness?

50-An easy one, what do you wear to a Betazed wedding?

51-How do you differentiate between the brains of Data and Lore?

52-Who is Musakka's counterpart?

Kamino Neko
12-05-2006, 09:48 PM
50-An easy one, what do you wear to a Betazed wedding?

Presuming it's traditional, nothing.

51-How do you differentiate between the brains of Data and Lore?

The easiest way would be that Data can't use contractions. He's also not as volatile even once he gets the emotion chip, nor is he evil.

DocCathode
12-05-2006, 09:51 PM
The easiest way would be that Data can't use contractions. He's also not as volatile even once he gets the emotion chip, nor is he evil.

50 correct

51 I don't mean behavior. If you had two Sung type positronic brains on a desk, how would you tell Data from Lore?

drewbert
12-05-2006, 10:01 PM
50 correct

51 I don't mean behavior. If you had two Sung type positronic brains on a desk, how would you tell Data from Lore?
One of them has a Type-L thingy, the other has a Type-R... thingy. (And I just saw that episode the other day...)

DocCathode
12-05-2006, 10:04 PM
51 Correct. Their phase discriminators are different as Data explains when they find his head in Arro Of Time-part 1.

Khan
12-06-2006, 06:04 AM
52-Who is Musakka's counterpart?

52 - Korgano. Now, sit with me; tend the fire.

Impressive attention to detail on #51! :eek:

I figure I'll just jump on that question about the Reliant's registry: NCC-1864.

53.) What Betazoid tradition does Deanna Troi, as well as many non-Betazoids, find particularly irritating?

54.) Describe the proper way to greet a Tellarite.

55.) Berlinghoff Rasmussen was a con-man who claimed to be a historian from the 26th century. Where and when was he actually from?

56.) What unusual piece of artwork did Quark find in Morn's quarters when he faked his own death?

57.) Spot and her kittens weren't the only non-humanoids on the Enterprise to fall victim to Barclay's protomorphosis syndrome. Which other pet did we see transformed, and what did it devolve into?

Khan
12-06-2006, 06:06 AM
BONUS: I made a mistake in 57. Tell me what it is.

Pushkin
12-06-2006, 06:19 AM
54) Are Tellerites one of those races/cultures that prefer to be insulted or abhor politeness?

BONUS: I made a mistake in 57. Tell me what it is.

Hmmm, I enjoyed that episode but I can't think of any other pet than Spot turning into an iguana. Didn't Picard have a fish called Livingstone in the ready room? Didn't neanderthal Riker eat it?

ivylass
12-06-2006, 07:03 AM
53.) What Betazoid tradition does Deanna Troi, as well as many non-Betazoids, find particularly irritating?

Banging a gong during dinner

56.) What unusual piece of artwork did Quark find in Morn's quarters when he faked his own death?

A matador painted on black velvet.

Elendil's Heir
12-06-2006, 09:23 AM
...A matador painted on black velvet.

Maybe he bought it from the estate of Lt. Marla McGivers...?

58. With what word of Starfleet Academy slang did Commodore Wesley tease Kirk in "The Ultimate Computer," and what does it mean?

59. What dangerous, forbidden manuever were Wesley Crusher's fellow cadets going to carry out in "The First Duty"?

60. What is Spock's blood type?

61. What is the unluckiest Starfleet ship name, given the unpleasant end met by all three ships known to have borne it? (No, I'm not thinking about the Enterprise).

62. A Starfleet phaser rifle was shown in only one TOS episode. Which was it?

Pushkin
12-06-2006, 09:49 AM
58. With what word of Starfleet Academy slang did Commodore Wesley tease Kirk in "The Ultimate Computer," and what does it mean?

Captain Dunsell, meaning someone redundant.

59. What dangerous, forbidden manuever were Wesley Crusher's fellow cadets going to carry out in "The First Duty"?

Can't remember the name, but basically it involved flying away from each other igniting their exhausts/plasma behind them.

Cu+ ;)

61. What is the unluckiest Starfleet ship name, given the unpleasant end met by all three ships known to have borne it? (No, I'm not thinking about the Enterprise).

Defiant methinks.

62. A Starfleet phaser rifle was shown in only one TOS episode. Which was it?

"Where No Man Has Gone Before", to try and take on God-Mitchell.

Khan
12-06-2006, 10:16 AM
The Kolvoord Starburst

Steve MB
12-06-2006, 10:56 AM
T negative.

ivylass
12-06-2006, 11:02 AM
42.) What Cardassian liquor was an acquired taste that Damar was particularly fond of?

43.) What real-life product was used as the "prop" for the answer to 42?

43) Prune juice? (a warrior's drink!! ;) )

During an episode of DS9, Jake and Nog utter a phrase punning a similar phrase from an Oscar-winning movie. What was the phrase, and (obviously) what was the movie?

tdn
12-06-2006, 11:53 AM
To answer my own question t6, the actor who played Spot was named Monster. He also appeared in a cat food commercial, the one with the giant crayons. As it turns out, two other cats played the role as well.

t7. In The Trouble with Tribbles, what is the name of the planet they were orbiting?

t8. How did it get its name?

t9. In the enemy within, how was Spock originally supposed to subdue Kirk? What was Nimoy's suggestion?

t10. At a 1986 convention in NYC, what was auctioned off for $400?

ivylass
12-06-2006, 12:45 PM
t9. In the enemy within, how was Spock originally supposed to subdue Kirk? What was Nimoy's suggestion?

He was supposed to punch him. Nimoy thought that was too violent for a Vulcan, who is supposed to be in control of his emotions, and suggested the neck pinch.

Riker's father appeared in a mini-series with Jonathen Frakes. What was the mini-series? What two other guest stars also apeared in that same mini-series? What actor from Wrath of Khan ALSO appeared in that same mini-series?

Ephemera
12-06-2006, 01:02 PM
43) Prune juice? (a warrior's drink!! ;) )

Karo corn syrup.

tdn
12-06-2006, 01:48 PM
He was supposed to punch him.
The way I heard it (direct from Nimoy, in fact) was that he was supposed to conk him on the head with the butt of a phaser. But that was 20 years ago, so I might be misremembering.

Elendil's Heir
12-06-2006, 02:09 PM
59. The Kolvoord Starburst

Right!

Elendil's Heir
12-06-2006, 02:11 PM
60. T negative.

Also correct.

Elendil's Heir
12-06-2006, 02:12 PM
During an episode of DS9, Jake and Nog utter a phrase punning a similar phrase from an Oscar-winning movie. What was the phrase, and (obviously) what was the movie?

This would now be question 63.

Elendil's Heir
12-06-2006, 02:13 PM
t7. In The Trouble with Tribbles, what is the name of the planet they were orbiting?

t8. How did it get its name?

These would be questions 64-67. Thanks!

Elendil's Heir
12-06-2006, 02:15 PM
[68.] Riker's father appeared in a mini-series with Jonathen Frakes. What was the mini-series? [69.] What two other guest stars also apeared in that same mini-series? [70.] What actor from Wrath of Khan ALSO appeared in that same mini-series?

Here are some question numbers for later ease of reference. Please read the OP. Thanks!

Elendil's Heir
12-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Pushkin, you're right on:

58. Commodore Wesley does call Kirk "Capt. Dunsel."
62. The phaser rifle does appear only in TOS "Where No Man Has Gone Before."

As to 61, the unluckiest ship in Starfleet, the one I'm thinking of is even unluckier than the Defiant.

Elendil's Heir
12-06-2006, 02:20 PM
64. They're not orbiting it, but Sherman's Planet is the one under discussion.
65. It's named after episode writer David Gerrold's then-girlfriend.

ivylass
12-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Here are some question numbers for later ease of reference. Please read the OP. Thanks!

Sorry. I lost track of what number we were on.

tdn
12-06-2006, 03:02 PM
68 is up next.

64. They're not orbiting it, but Sherman's Planet is the one under discussion.
65. It's named after episode writer David Gerrold's then-girlfriend.
Correct.

Khan
12-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Karo corn syrup.
I was waiting for you to show up!

Ivylass, in Star Trek, prune juice IS prune juice! :D

Good call on the gong and the matador, though.

Pushkin, you pretty much got the Tellarite question. Nice work in anticipating Trek's propensity to do that, too.

Also, DrkGntly, Marc Alaimo didn't play the guy who faked his death to get his hands on the metaphasic shields. You'll have to go further back than that ;).

As for 57, that episode was on Spike today, so maybe a few more people know the answer now.

So, following up on the Kolvoord Starburst question:

68.) What formation were they supposed to be flying?

69.) When Captain Jellico took over for Picard in "Chain of Command," what had his son just drawn for him?

70.) A point of rivalry between Riker and his dad involved sparring in a particular school of martial arts. What was it, and what did Riker learn about their competitions when his dad visited the Enterprise?

71.) Another Riker question: name the ships he served on before the Enterprise-D (bonus if you can name a significant event that happened on each one).

72.) In ENT: "Vox Sola," what did crew members of the Enterprise do to inadvertently offend the visiting Kretassans?

Ephemera
12-06-2006, 04:17 PM
I was waiting for you to show up!

Huh. I had no idea I had any kind of Trek notoriety. Awesome.

55.) Berlinghoff Rasmussen was a con-man who claimed to be a historian from the 26th century. Where and when was he actually from?

22nd Century New Jersey

71.) Another Riker question: name the ships he served on before the Enterprise-D (bonus if you can name a significant event that happened on each one).

He cheats but I can't remember the name of the martial art. Some sort of nonsensical -jitsu.

The Potemkin, Hood, and Pegasus. He was inadvertently cloned in a transporter accident on the Potemkin, resulting in the birth of Thomas Riker, and was one of the few officers to side with Captain Pressman during a mutiny on it when they used an illegal phase cloaking device and partially embedded the ship in an asteroid. Nothing particularly noteworthy occured during his posting as executive officer on the Hood.

Khan
12-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Nothing particularly noteworthy occured during his posting as executive officer on the Hood.
Oh, I beg to differ. At the time, you could say that it was the most important event in his career.

You were right on the other two, though.

ivylass
12-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Oh, I beg to differ. At the time, you could say that it was the most important event in his career.

Oh, I know! I know! He prevented his captain from beaming down into what he considered a dangerous situation. This brought him to the attention of Jean-Luc Picard, who was in the market for a Number One.

For all his firmness on the Hood, however, I never did see him prevent Picard from beaming down when Picard wanted to.

Can no one answer my questions? Are they too hard? :(

Alan Smithee
12-06-2006, 05:03 PM
71. I believe the Hood was where he met Troi.

New question:

73) All Betazoids have a specific physical characteristic that was intended to distinguish them for viewers, as pointy ears do for Vulcans and wrinkled noses for Bajorans. What is it?

Khan
12-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Ivylass got it. He stood up against Captain DeSoto, and that impressed Picard. He met Deanna either during or just before joining the Potemkin. I think that's only been firmly established outside of canon, though.

73.) All betazoids have totally black irises.

Alan Smithee
12-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Doh! I should have thought before making a guess. Riker was on the Potemkin before the Hood, and knew Troi then, so they couldn't have met on the Hood. Where did they meet? I can't count this as a trivia question because I don't know for sure. The Academy?

Ivylass, the miniseries was North and South, but I don't know who else was in it.

Khan
12-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Damnit, that's what I get for posting in a hurry. I'll rephrase: he met Deanna around the time he was posted on the Potemkin, but whether it was before or during has probably only been established in the novels. Remember, in the episode where they find his duplicate, Thomas Riker wanted to start things back up with her when he saw her again.

Also, what are you talking about, Ivylass? Unless I've missed some of your questions, all of your questions except the one about Jake and Nog and the one about miniseries Frakes was in have been answered.

Alan Smithee
12-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Kaaaaaaaaaaaahn!!!

Way to go! I didn't think anyone would get it so quickly.

Ephemera
12-06-2006, 05:26 PM

The posting itself, sure, but you asked for significant events during them. ;)

Can no one answer my questions? Are they too hard? :(

It's really hard to keep track of all the questions, especially since I'm late to the thread, and I didn't notice yours.

It was from In the Cards, the last episode of the fifth season, and the line was "Lions, Gigers, and Bears", in reference to The Wizard of Oz.

Riker's father appeared in a mini-series with Jonathen Frakes. What was the mini-series? What two other guest stars also apeared in that same mini-series? What actor from Wrath of Khan ALSO appeared in that same mini-series?

North and South. No idea who his co-stars were, though. Never seen it.

And a few questions of my own:

74. Who and what is the bear I referenced in my answer to ivylass' question?
75. Chekov's love interest in The Way to Eden was originally going to be someone completely different. Who was it going to be and what is her significance?
76. What is the Intrepid class' maximum rated warp speed?
77. What is Malcolm Reed's favorite food?
78. What is the climate of Ferenginar like?
79. Who is Macha Hernandez and who was originally cast to play her?
80. What does Kira say to Bashir as she is delivering Kirayoshi O'Brien and what is the full significance of the dialogue?

zev_steinhardt
12-06-2006, 05:30 PM
80. What does Kira say to Bashir as she is delivering Kirayoshi O'Brien and what is the full significance of the dialogue?

Partial answer. I don't know what was said, but no doubt it referred to their real life situation, as Nana Visitor was pregnant with Alexander Siddig's baby in real life.

Zev Steinhardt

Ephemera
12-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Oops. Should've previewed. Looks like I was beat to the North and South answer and didn't consider Riker standing up to DeSoto being particularly noteworthy. Bah.

Where did they meet? I can't count this as a trivia question because I don't know for sure. The Academy?

It's not canon but in Peter David's Imzadi, they met on Betazed when Riker was posted there Deanna was an undergraduate in psychology at some university or another.

Alan Smithee
12-06-2006, 05:40 PM
78. Wet and rainy

Peter Morris
12-06-2006, 05:43 PM
75. Chekov's love interest in The Way to Eden was originally going to be someone completely different. Who was it going to be and what is her significance?

77. What is Malcolm Reed's favorite food?

75. Doctor McCoy's daughter, Joanna.

77. Pineapple

Ephemera
12-06-2006, 06:19 PM
All answers are correct so far although zev's is only partial.

AWB
12-06-2006, 07:22 PM

1-2-3-4-5.

No, wait. That was "Spaceballs" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094012/). :D

Monstre
12-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Doh! I should have thought before making a guess. Riker was on the Potemkin before the Hood, and knew Troi then, so they couldn't have met on the Hood. Where did they meet? I can't count this as a trivia question because I don't know for sure. The Academy?
Since this isn't an official trivia question, I felt no guilt over looking it up in the Star Trek Encyclopedia (Okuda) -- just to assist with general information and curiosity. According to that resource, it says, "Early in his Starfleet career, Riker was stationed on planet Betazed, where he became romantically involved with psychology student Deanna Troi". It mentions the episode "Menage a Troi" (TNG) as a reference.

Monstre
12-06-2006, 10:57 PM
According to that resource, it says, "Early in his Starfleet career, Riker was stationed on planet Betazed, where he became romantically involved with psychology student Deanna Troi". It mentions the episode "Menage a Troi" (TNG) as a reference.
Follow-up: I found a couple of places online that listed a script for "Menage a Troi". Assuming they are accurate (and they both match), then I'd say we can call it canon. Here's one of Riker's lines (to Deanna, as they reminisce on Betazed):
Riker: "A certain junior lieutenant will always remember meeting a very serious psychology student. It was the best thing about being assigned to Betazed."

Elendil's Heir
12-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Peter David's very fun and interesting ST novel Imzadi also has them meeting on Betazed. Zany hijinks ensue.

And an answer to an earlier question:

69. Jellico's kid likes to draw elephants.

Khan
12-07-2006, 12:28 AM
#69 goes to Elendil's Heir

The posting itself, sure, but you asked for significant events during them. ;)
I was referring to Riker confronting DeSoto as the cause of his posting to the Enterprise, not the assignment itself. Probably important to clarify that :)

79. Macha Hernandez was going to be the Enterprise's Tactical Officer played by Marina Sirtis, with Denise Crosby playing the role as Ship's Counselor. I don't remember what the character's name was at that point, but the casting for those roles was changed for some reason or other, and so Tasha Yar was born (what, you believed that b.s. about Turkana IV? :p)

Didn't some aspect of that story have something to do with Vasquez from Aliens? Did they come up with the character because of her, or change it because of her?

Elendil's Heir
12-07-2006, 12:32 AM
...It's not canon but in Peter David's "Imzadi," they met on Betazed when Riker was posted there Deanna was an undergraduate in psychology at some university or another.

Sorry, I missed that you'd already written this.

As to Macha Hernandez, one of Roddenberry's associates (Bob Justman?) wrote that he and GR saw "Aliens" and were very impressed by the Vasquez character. Roddenberry decided he wanted the Enterprise-D's chief of security to be a tough-as-nails Latina, too.

Elendil's Heir
12-07-2006, 12:37 AM
81. One of Riker's ancestors was saved by a Q during what Earth war?

82. Name the Federation diplomat who shacks up with Zefram Cochrane.

83. What supersecret, extralegal Starfleet branch handles Federation dirty tricks (all with the best of motives, of course :rolleyes: )?

84. What is Christopher Pike's highest known rank?

85. The crew of what Vulcan-crewed starship plays the DS9 senior staff in a baseball game?

Kamino Neko
12-07-2006, 12:45 AM
81. One of Riker's ancestors was saved by a Q during what Earth war?

The US civil war.

83. What supersecret, extralegal Starfleet branch handles Federation dirty tricks (all with the best of motives, of course :rolleyes: )?

Section 31

Khan
12-07-2006, 01:15 AM
I meant to put these in my last post, but I clicked "submit" without even realizing I'd clicked on anything. So, continuing...

86.) Phrasing this one is going to be difficult, so please bear with me: which episode involved a crossover between two series where the "guest" appearance/es were actually one-off character/s in the episode where they originally appeared. (Hint: both series are set in the TNG era).

87.) Name three characters who came to "our" universe from an alternate timeline after their counterparts "here" died.

88.) Apart from phase discriminators, emotion chips (and any associated baggage, eg sadism), and use of contractions mentioned so far, name another way to distinguish Data from Lore.

89.) You might remember that one of Edward Jellico's first acts as captain of the Enterprise-D was to "get that fish out of the ready room." What living creature did he essentially replace it with?

90.) What is a popular misconception about Vulcans?

Monkey Chews
12-07-2006, 01:57 AM
Is the Marc Alaimo question still going? Sorry if I missed an answer, but didn't he also play a Romulan Commander in the TNG Season 1 finale, "The Neutral Zone"?

When delivering Kirayoshi, Kira says to Bashir, "This is all YOUR fault", which as Zev pointed out, referenced the real-life relationship between the actors.

I meant to put these in my last post, but I clicked "submit" without even realizing I'd clicked on anything. So, continuing...

86.) Phrasing this one is going to be difficult, so please bear with me: which episode involved a crossover between two series where the "guest" appearance/es were actually one-off character/s in the episode where they originally appeared. (Hint: both series are set in the TNG era).Erm.... not 100% sure I get the question, but if I'm interpreting this correctly... wasn't there an episode of Voyager which featured two Ferengi who had fallen into a wormhole at the end of the TNG episode "The Price"?

87.) Name three characters who came to "our" universe from an alternate timeline after their counterparts "here" died.Chief O'Brien (in "Visionary"), Jennifer Sisko (who appeared in "Through the Looking Glass" and then came over to our universe in "Shattered Mirror"), Vedek Bareil (in "Resurrection"), and possibly Tasha Yar, although she came to our universe well *before* she died over here.

Harry Kim and Naomi Wildman both died in one episode, only to be replaced by versions of them from a copy of Voyager - but from memory, I don't think it was a timeline thing.

Here's a couple:

91. In which episodes have we seen the Enterprise-D being destroyed?

92. Who betrayed Kai Opaka's son and his resistance cell to the Cardassians?

Pushkin
12-07-2006, 03:51 AM

That they don't lie? Or was that the Nimbari :confused:

As to 61, the unluckiest ship in Starfleet, the one I'm thinking of is even unluckier than the Defiant.

I'll throw in the Yorktown, but I can only think of two mishaps, one TOS (Ultimate Computer? Not a loss but major damage?) and one TNG. As an aside, was the first Defiant lost actually part of Starfleet or from a prior organisation?

Pushkin
12-07-2006, 04:16 AM
I'll throw in the Yorktown, but I can only think of two mishaps, one TOS (Ultimate Computer? Not a loss but major damage?) and one TNG. As an aside, was the first Defiant lost actually part of Starfleet or from a prior organisation?

I gave in and researched elsewhere, I can save everyone some time and point out that I'm wrong with my guesses :smack: Sorry, but the question bugged me and the ship name on the tip of my tongue was correct :rolleyes:

Khan
12-07-2006, 05:11 AM
Is the Marc Alaimo question still going? Sorry if I missed an answer, but didn't he also play a Romulan Commander in the TNG Season 1 finale, "The Neutral Zone"?

Yep, that's the one. Unless I'm confusing him with someone else, the character's name was Tebok. Turns out though, that there was still one other character he played, an Antican ambassador (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Image:BadarNDD.jpg).

You're right about the Ferengi too.

Chief O'Brien (in "Visionary"), Jennifer Sisko (who appeared in "Through the Looking Glass" and then came over to our universe in "Shattered Mirror"), Vedek Bareil (in "Resurrection"), and possibly Tasha Yar, although she came to our universe well *before* she died over here.

Harry Kim and Naomi Wildman both died in one episode, only to be replaced by versions of them from a copy of Voyager - but from memory, I don't think it was a timeline thing.

Looks like I need to get my spatial/temporal anomalies straight. Now that you mention it, I seem to recall some kind of anomaly that made two copies of Voyager, one of which got destroyed in a Vidiian attack. Naomi Wildman and Kim died on the first Voyager, and got replaced by their counterparts on the second. O'Brien is a time thing though, since he came back from a few hours into the future while the earlier one died of radiation exposure.

I tried to rule out the Mirror Universe based on the time reference, but I should have also said "replace," since I don't see, for example, Intendant Kira, handling things quite the same way as Major/Colonel Kira. ;) Saying "replace" would have ruled out Tasha too, but you're right based on the way I phrased the question.

91. Time squared, Cause and Effect, Parallels, Thine Own Self (Troi fails to stop a warp core breach on the holodeck), All Good Things...

92. I'm gonna go with Winn Adami on this one.

And you're right on 90, Pushkin.

ivylass
12-07-2006, 06:34 AM
It was from In the Cards, the last episode of the fifth season, and the line was "Lions, Gigers, and Bears", in reference to The Wizard of Oz.

Correct!

North and South. No idea who his co-stars were, though. Never seen it.

It also starred Kirstie Alley, Jean Simmons (from the episode The Drumhead) and the older actor who played the Dowd.

74. Who and what is the bear I referenced in my answer to ivylass' question?

That's Bashir's teddy bear that he gave to Leta, but she refused to give it back after they broke up. Kukalaka, was that the name?

ivylass
12-07-2006, 06:37 AM

That they have no emotions. They do have emotions, they have just learned to suppress them.

Elendil's Heir
12-07-2006, 08:17 AM
[81.] The US civil war.... [83]. Section 31

Both correct.

Elendil's Heir
12-07-2006, 08:23 AM
61. OK, I'll answer it. I would submit that Starfleet's unluckiest ship name is Valiant. The first one was destroyed trying to cross the galactic barrier (TOS "Where No Man Has Gone Before"), the second was destroyed when it strayed into the Eminiar-Vendikar interplanetary war (TOS "A Taste of Armageddon"), and the third one was destroyed with a shipful of adult-leadership-deprived Starfleet Academy cadets during the Dominion War (DS9 "Valiant").

Neither Yorktown nor Defiant have had such ill-fated histories, methinks.

tdn
12-07-2006, 09:13 AM
93. Cyrano Jones sold a species of tribble that didn't reproduce as fast. What did they do instead?

94. As a child, Spock's life was threatened. How was he saved?

95. Who was the first captain of the Enterprise? (No, not Scott Bakula.)

96. #95 met with a strange fate that afflicted the elderly. What was it? And what danger did it pose to Enterprise?

97. What is one way one could make a gigantic version of the Enterprise?

Pushkin
12-07-2006, 09:19 AM
61. OK, I'll answer it. I would submit that Starfleet's unluckiest ship name is Valiant

Correct, I got the ship name in WNMHGB confused, Valiant it is. Defiant being lost twice and the Yorktown not at all.

In fact, I submit that any Starfleet vessel with "iant" in the name is begging for trouble, Valiant, Defiant, Reliant...

tdn
12-07-2006, 09:32 AM
98. As of the mid-80s, what actor played more races/species than anyone else?

99. Who were the first people (as far as we know) to separate their middle and ring fingers?

100. There were vast inconsistancies, visually, in ST:TMP. How come?

101. In the same vein, ST V sucked ass, visually. What movie was responsible for that? Explain.

102. In ST VI, a new technology was added to the set. This meant that the actors no longer had to do what?

tdn
12-07-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm just going to go ahead and answer this.

Spock's ears. (May have actually been 1987.)

Elendil's Heir
12-07-2006, 09:52 AM
93. Cyrano Jones sold a species of tribble that didn't reproduce as fast. What did they do instead?

94. As a child, Spock's life was threatened. How was he saved?

95. Who was the first captain of the Enterprise? (No, not Scott Bakula.)

96. #95 met with a strange fate that afflicted the elderly. What was it? And what danger did it pose to Enterprise?

Ah, getting into the animated series, are we?

93. They got really, really big.
94. A le-matya, a big electric blue reptilian leopard, attacked him while he was undertakinga traditional Vulcan childhood ordeal. His pet sehlat (giant teddy bear with long fangs) saved him, but was fatally wounded, and he consented to its being put down (TAS "Yesteryear," written by D.C. Fontana and easily the best of the animated series).
95. If you mean Kirk's Enterprise, that was Capt. Robert April.
96. He got younger in a bizarre parallel universe, but so did the Enterprise's crew, who were reduced to children.
97. Um. Tell the Starfleet Corps of Engineers, "Supersize me"?

Pushkin
12-07-2006, 09:55 AM
98. As of the mid-80s, what actor played more races/species than anyone else?

Mark Lenard? Romulan Commander in "Balance of Terror", Ambassador Surak and the ill-fated Klingon Captain in TMP.

Although you could argue that James Doohan voiced many of the computers and other non-human entities in TOS and TAS.

tdn
12-07-2006, 10:02 AM
94. A le-matya, a big electric blue reptilian leopard, attacked him while he was undertakinga traditional Vulcan childhood ordeal. His pet sehlat (giant teddy bear with long fangs) saved him, but was fatally wounded, and he consented to its being put down (TAS "Yesteryear," written by D.C. Fontana and easily the best of the animated series).

97. Um. Tell the Starfleet Corps of Engineers, "Supersize me"?
Correct on 94, though not the answer I was looking for. I was thinking more along the lines of time travel. (Do I remember right? That may have been a different episode.)

97. You're joking, right?

tdn
12-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Mark Lenard? Romulan Commander in "Balance of Terror", Ambassador Surak and the ill-fated Klingon Captain in TMP.
Yep.

Elendil's Heir
12-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Correct on 94, though not the answer I was looking for. I was thinking more along the lines of time travel. (Do I remember right? That may have been a different episode.)

97. You're joking, right?

94. I guess I was overthinking it. The adult Spock goes through the Guardian of Forever to study the past, during a time when he was a child. Because he couldn't be in two places in the same timeline, the child died during the Vulcan ordeal. Spock then goes back again to save the young Spock's life. Same episode as above, TAS "Yesteryear."

97. Well, yeah. Not well, obviously. ;)

Pushkin
12-07-2006, 10:16 AM

Spock remembers his cousin being present during his childhood during the time of his trial to mark his ascent to adulthood. His cousin was Spock, sent back in time by the Guardian of Forever to aid him. A change in the timeline had resulted in Spock dying as a child and being replaced as first officer by an Andorian. I can't remember exactly though the circumstances that Spock was in that required his future self to help.

Great episode BTW, Yesteryear.

tdn
12-07-2006, 10:17 AM
You nailed 94.

97. My joke answer to your joke answer was, in fact, not a joke.

tdn
12-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Great episode BTW, Yesteryear.
Clearly the jewel in the plastic crown of that series.

Pushkin
12-07-2006, 10:26 AM

In another TAS episode, the crew were shrunk to such a size that they couldn't even operate the automatic doors. Can't remember the episode or circumstances.

And speaking of TAS, I see that Elendil's Heir beat me to it with Yesteryear.

101. In the same vein, ST V sucked ass, visually. What movie was responsible for that? Explain.

Hmm, not sure, the only outside cock-up I was aware of was the trouble with the Teamsters (?) Did someone else make a movie at the same time that took up ILM's time? I'm aware that they did Trek visuals before that.

tdn
12-07-2006, 10:30 AM
In another TAS episode, the crew were shrunk to such a size that they couldn't even operate the automatic doors. Can't remember the episode or circumstances.
Oh yeah, I remember that one. Not what I was thinking of, though.

Think inflatable.

Did someone else make a movie at the same time that took up ILM's time? I'm aware that they did Trek visuals before that.
Yes.

ivylass
12-07-2006, 11:00 AM

William Shatner saw that Leonard Nimoy had directed ST IV with great success, and he wanted to have a turn at directing.

[/QUOTE]

tdn
12-07-2006, 11:18 AM
William Shatner saw that Leonard Nimoy had directed ST IV with great success, and he wanted to have a turn at directing.
While correct, not what I'm looking for. Yes, that's one of the many reasons why that movie sucked so very much. But I'm thinking of something more technical.

ILM had a lot of big projects that summer. What big blockbuster did most Trekkers (including Walter Koenig) put the blame on?

Elendil's Heir
12-07-2006, 01:05 PM
...Think inflatable....

Oh, I remember now.

97. In TAS "Practical Joker," the Enterprise's computer somehow develops sentience but then just wants to play jokes on everyone. When the bad guys (Romulans?) attack, it creates a giant inflatable starship that scares 'em off.

DirkGntly
12-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Nobody has bothered to answer my questions from way back on page 1...

were they too hard, or did I miss them getting answered somewhere?

Khan
12-07-2006, 01:19 PM
102. In ST VI, a new technology was added to the set. This meant that the actors no longer had to do what?
Can you tell us whether the technology was real or a prop?

100.) When they showed Spock doing his Kohlinar ritual, what was presumably Vulcan had a very large moon. In TOS Spock had said that Vulcan doesn't have any moons. They fixed this digitally in the DVD release a few years back.

Khan
12-07-2006, 01:24 PM

All I could find was your one about the Reliant's registry (I answered that), and the one about Scotty's blueprints in STVI. I didn't see any on page one.

As for the scotty question, I'll just hazard a guess that the nacelles were upside-down.

I've got assloads of questions no one's answered yet. :(

Elendil's Heir
12-07-2006, 01:25 PM
I've answered all the ones I know, and suspect most others have as well. You musta stumped us!

tdn
12-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Can you tell us whether the technology was real or a prop?
It was real. I'll admit this is an obscure one, a weird bit of trivia that I heard directly from Koenig.

What's odd is that it was a technology badly needed on the Enterprise bridge, but it was first employed on a Klingon bridge, as our heros were hurtling towards the Sun in a quest to save some whales.

DirkGntly
12-07-2006, 02:44 PM
It was real. I'll admit this is an obscure one, a weird bit of trivia that I heard directly from Koenig.

What's odd is that it was a technology badly needed on the Enterprise bridge, but it was first employed on a Klingon bridge, as our heros were hurtling towards the Sun in a quest to save some whales.

Would this be the addition of an actual monitor/viewscreen for the main viewer, so the actors no longer had to pretend about what they were seeing?

DirkGntly
12-07-2006, 02:49 PM
All I could find was your one about the Reliant's registry (I answered that), and the one about Scotty's blueprints in STVI. I didn't see any on page one.

As for the scotty question, I'll just hazard a guess that the nacelles were upside-down.

I've got assloads of questions no one's answered yet. :(

Khan...
I forgot to answer about the Ferengi code using light/dark...it's b'azaal (sp?).
And as far as the Scotty question - (this is really, really obscure, and I know I'm right, but will get clobbered by others who will swear I'm wrong, but)...the plans were clearly labeled "Constitution Class"...which is well and good, if Scotty's taking a trip down Memory Lane...since NCC-1701-A was actually "Enterprise Class" (1701-A was actually orginally christened as a different vessel - which was an "Enterprise Class" ship - and then re-registered after the destruction of the original, re-fitted NCC-1701).

tdn
12-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Would this be the addition of an actual monitor/viewscreen for the main viewer, so the actors no longer had to pretend about what they were seeing?
They no longer had to pretend something, but it wasn't a visual thing.

Major hint:

And that marked the end of Persis Kabata's jiggly dance.

DirkGntly
12-07-2006, 03:02 PM
They no longer had to pretend something, but it wasn't a visual thing.

Major hint:

And that marked the end of Persis Kabata's jiggly dance.
Ah - it must've been a stage-gimbal or floor-shaker...

tdn
12-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Ah - it must've been a stage-gimbal or floor-shaker...
That's it. No longer did the cameraman have to shake the camera while the cast flung themselves about.

Steve MB
12-07-2006, 04:07 PM

Ditto (unless people thought that my correction on the "medical tricorder" question didn't count as a qualifying correct answer to a question).

Khan
12-07-2006, 05:33 PM
I wasn't entirely sure, but the nature of the situation brings Harcourt Fenton Mudd immediately to mind. Am I right?

Steve MB
12-07-2006, 07:36 PM
I wasn't entirely sure, but the nature of the situation brings Harcourt Fenton Mudd immediately to mind. Am I right?
Er, for which question?

Khan
12-07-2006, 11:51 PM
I must be going nuts. I thought I'd quoted it. I was answering your question about who it was who tried to bribe his way out of the Enterprise brig.

Elendil's Heir
12-07-2006, 11:58 PM
103. In what guises did Vina appear to Pike in "The Cage"?

104. Kirk wears all three varieties of Starfleet uniform shirt - yellow Command, green captain's-choice casual, and dress uniform - in just one episode. Which one?

105. What are the two known Starfleet registry numbers of the USS Excelsior?

106. Janeway had what kind of pet before Voyager left on its unexpectedly-prolonged mission?

107. What did Cadet Nick Locarno and Lt. Tom Paris have in common?

Kamino Neko
12-08-2006, 12:13 AM
107. What did Cadet Nick Locarno and Lt. Tom Paris have in common?

Same actor (Robert Duncan McNeil) and very similar back-stories. In fact, Paris was supposedly based on Locarno. I believe the chief difference is that Paris was considered redeemable, whereas Locarno wasn't - which is why they created a new character instead of just using Locarno.

Kamino Neko
12-08-2006, 12:18 AM
OK, and since I haven't actually posted any questions...

108 - A TAS episode involved an established alien race - but not a Star Trek race. What race, in which episode?

109 - Who wrote the book the episode in 108 was based on, and what was its title? (One word difference from the episode title.)

110 - Which other Star Trek related materials do the race in 108 appear in?

Dr. Rieux
12-08-2006, 12:46 AM
OK, and since I haven't actually posted any questions...

108 - A TAS episode involved an established alien race - but not a Star Trek race. What race, in which episode?

109 - Who wrote the book the episode in 108 was based on, and what was its title? (One word difference from the episode title.)

110 - Which other Star Trek related materials do the race in 108 appear in?
108: The Kzinti in "Slaver Weapon."

109: Larry Niven's "The Slaver Weapon."

110: Star Fleet Universe gaming materials from FASA?

Kamino Neko
12-08-2006, 12:49 AM
108: The Kzinti in "Slaver Weapon."

109: Larry Niven's "The Slaver Weapon."

110: Star Fleet Universe gaming materials from FASA?

2.5 points. Niven's original story was not called The Slaver Weapon (and the full title of the TAS episode was The Slaver Weapon, but lack of a 'the' is not enough to call it wrong).

Pushkin
12-08-2006, 02:58 AM
103. In what guises did Vina appear to Pike in "The Cage"?

Through illusions she appeared as un-injured Vina, girlfriend on Earth Vina, damsel in distress on Rigel Vina and Orion Slave girl Vina before finally appearing as she really was, horribly disfigured. The first and last guises are in order but I'm not sure of the others.

104. Kirk wears all three varieties of Starfleet uniform shirt - yellow Command, green captain's-choice casual, and dress uniform - in just one episode. Which one?

Only one? I was sure he wore the dress uniform (formal green tunic with medals) in Journey to Babel, Space Seed and The Menagerie (parts I and II).

105. What are the two known Starfleet registry numbers of the USS Excelsior?

I'm sure one is NX-2000.

106. Janeway had what kind of pet before Voyager left on its unexpectedly-prolonged mission?

Beagle, dog of some sort at least.

Khan
12-08-2006, 04:37 AM
105.) NX-2000, as Pushkin mentioned, and NCC-2000
106.) Irish Setter

Some follow-ups:

111.) We know from STVI that Sulu was in command of the Excelsior* for at least part of the time it was NCC-2000. Name the officer who captained the ship during the NX-period.

112.) The Excelsior had two nicknames: one grandiose, the other not so much (and seemingly an opinion of a fringe minority). What were they?

113.) As for Janeway's dog, what was happening when Voyager's mission to the Badlands began?

114.) Where else have we seen an Irish Setter in Star Trek?

115.) There WAS a Beagle in Star Trek, though. Name him, and then provide at least one notable event in his life story (Hint: take, for example, his role in interplanetary relations).

*God. Damn. That was a nice design though, wasn't it? Why'd they have to go and fuck with it for the Enterprise B? That thing was an abomination. Because of that, we never saw a normal Excelsior again until they became CGI cannon fodder. Bah, I say. BAH!

Malacandra
12-08-2006, 04:52 AM
2.5 points. Niven's original story was not called The Slaver Weapon (and the full title of the TAS episode was The Slaver Weapon, but lack of a 'the' is not enough to call it wrong).

Niven's long-short was "The Soft Weapon". And it was not a Slaver weapon but a tnuctip weapon, in Niven's original. That was the whole point: although it was in a Slaver stasis box, it was an order of magnitude more advanced than any of the Slaver stuff that had been found to date.

Pushkin
12-08-2006, 04:55 AM
111.) We know from STVI that Sulu was in command of the Excelsior* for at least part of the time it was NCC-2000. Name the officer who captained the ship during the NX-period.

Stiles.

112.) The Excelsior had two nicknames: one grandiose, the other not so much (and seemingly an opinion of a fringe minority). What were they?

Kirk used the nickname that was probably in wide use in Starfleet IIRC "The great experiment." Sulu agreed, enamoured no doubt by the possibilities of transwarp drive. Engineer Scott declared that if his Grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon.

Takei should have been Captain for more than just TUC and that episode of Voyager :mad:

113.) As for Janeway's dog, what was happening when Voyager's mission to the Badlands began?

It was having puppies.

TNG, didn't a shape shifting carnivore consume one on board a rear end of nowhere Starfleet station and assume its shape? Can't remember the episode, but it was another one of those ep's where Geordi just can't seem to snag a decent woman.

Kamino Neko
12-08-2006, 04:56 AM
And Malacandra picks up the other half point.

ivylass
12-08-2006, 07:13 AM

Q briefly transformed Crusher into a barking Irish Setter.

Pushkin
12-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Q briefly transformed Crusher into a barking Irish Setter.

:smack: I remember that now.

Steve MB
12-08-2006, 08:20 AM
I must be going nuts. I thought I'd quoted it. I was answering your question about who it was who tried to bribe his way out of the Enterprise brig.
OK. Sorry, that answer is not correct.

Pushkin
12-08-2006, 08:56 AM
I must be going nuts. I thought I'd quoted it. I was answering your question about who it was who tried to bribe his way out of the Enterprise brig.OK. Sorry, that answer is not correct.

Mirror universe Kirk.

Elendil's Heir
12-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Same actor (Robert Duncan McNeil) and very similar back-stories. In fact, Paris was supposedly based on Locarno. I believe the chief difference is that Paris was considered redeemable, whereas Locarno wasn't - which is why they created a new character instead of just using Locarno.

You aced it. Well done.

Elendil's Heir
12-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Through illusions she appeared as un-injured Vina, girlfriend on Earth Vina, damsel in distress on Rigel Vina and Orion Slave girl Vina before finally appearing as she really was, horribly disfigured. The first and last guises are in order but I'm not sure of the others.
Exactly right.

Only one? I was sure he wore the dress uniform (formal green tunic with medals) in Journey to Babel, Space Seed and The Menagerie (parts I and II).
Ah, but in only one episode do we see him in ALL THREE kinds of uniform shirt.

I'm sure one is NX-2000.
Yes. And the other is... answered by Khan.

Beagle, dog of some sort at least.
Incorrect, as noted earlier.

Elendil's Heir
12-08-2006, 10:21 AM
115.) There WAS a Beagle in Star Trek, though. Name him, and then provide at least one notable event in his life story (Hint: take, for example, his role in interplanetary relations).
Capt. Archer's dog Porthos, who once peed on a sacred alien tree while part of a shore party. Archer eventually had to do some kind of bizarro ritualistic dance to make amends. Shirtless, of course. :rolleyes:

[Re: USS Excelsior design] God. Damn. That was a nice design though, wasn't it? Why'd they have to go and fuck with it for the Enterprise B? That thing was an abomination. Because of that, we never saw a normal Excelsior again until they became CGI cannon fodder. Bah, I say. BAH!
I couldn't agree more. I loved the original Excelsior, before they added that fugly spare tire to the secondary hull.

Elendil's Heir
12-08-2006, 10:37 AM
116. What institution remains part of the Federation's legal system at least into the DS9 era, despite being on the wane in early 21st century America and Britain? (a question for any lawyer Trekkers in the thread :D )

117. What is Spock's computer-expert rating?

118. Jadzia Dax said she admired the hands of which TOS officer or crewmember?

119. When discussing a knotty time-travel conundrum, Janeway tells Kim that if he doesn't believe her, he should ask...who?

120. Name the horned white gorilla-like creature who tussles with Kirk.

tdn
12-08-2006, 11:40 AM
120. Name the horned white gorilla-like creature who tussles with Kirk.
I want to say it starts with an M.

Mugatu? Mobato? Mugura? Mayo? Mitsubishi?

ivylass
12-08-2006, 11:44 AM
118. Jadzia Dax said she admired the hands of which TOS officer or crewmember?

Dr. McCoy, in the episode Trials and Tribble-lations.

Monstre
12-08-2006, 12:07 PM
121. In the TNG series finale, "All Good Things...", older Picard says angrily, "Where's the anomaly, Q?!" Q, mocking him in the guise of an old man, replies.... ?

Infovore
12-08-2006, 02:43 PM

Mugato.

Pushkin
12-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Ah, but in only one episode do we see him in ALL THREE kinds of uniform shirt

I'm going to take a stab at "Journey to Babel" (pun intended!) as I seem to remember the dress uniform worn when with the delegates, yellow when fighting the Andorian imposter and then green casual when taking the captain's chair from Spock.

122. About time I asked one. In tribute to the beastie above and Star Trek in general, what film used its name for a human bad guy.

Before I watch the episode, can anyone confirm the answer I gave to the brig question? I'm holding off on watching any episodes with my daughter till I've exhausted my answers (my daughter likes Star Trek, ain't that great!)

Elendil's Heir
12-08-2006, 03:06 PM
[118.] Dr. McCoy, in the episode Trials and Tribble-lations.

Correct.

Elendil's Heir
12-08-2006, 03:07 PM
[120.] Mugato.

Right you are.

Elendil's Heir
12-08-2006, 03:14 PM
[104. Re: Kirk's three shirts]. I'm going to take a stab at "Journey to Babel" (pun intended!) as I seem to remember the dress uniform worn when with the delegates, yellow when fighting the Andorian imposter and then green casual when taking the captain's chair from Spock.
I don't think so. I have another episode in mind, which I saw not long before I started this thread.

122. About time I asked one. In tribute to the beastie above and Star Trek in general, what film used its name for a human bad guy.
Will Ferrell's character in Zoolander, wasn't it?

Before I watch the episode, can anyone confirm the answer I gave to the brig question? I'm holding off on watching any episodes with my daughter till I've exhausted my answers (my daughter likes Star Trek, ain't that great!) Yep, I think it was the Mirror Universe Kirk, who said something to Spock like "You want money? Power? A ship of your own? I can get that for you, Spock." To which Spock replied (with possibly his best delivery of the entire series), "Fascinating."

Pushkin
12-08-2006, 03:33 PM
I don't think so. I have another episode in mind, which I saw not long before I started this thread.

Damn, now I've been refuted I'm remembering them in all the episodes I listed... I'll go with Space Seed as my second and final guess, so that I don't end up answering correctly by default.

Will Ferrell's character in Zoolander, wasn't it?

From the trivia I've read elsewhere, yes.

Elendil's Heir
12-08-2006, 11:02 PM
For Khan and any other fans of the USS Excelsior design, here are some good pics: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/excelsior1.htm

Google Images will also turn up a bunch.

Sir Rhosis
12-09-2006, 05:14 AM
121. In the TNG series finale, "All Good Things...", older Picard says angrily, "Where's the anomaly, Q?!" Q, mocking him in the guise of an old man, replies.... ?

"Where's your mommy?! I don't know where your mommy is." or words to that effect.

Also, 112: Scotty called the Excelsior a "bucket of bolts."

My questions:

123. What is the English translation of Pavel (as in Pavel Chekov)?

124. Follow up to 120. What was the horned white furry creature actually called in the shooting script? Why was the name changed to Mugato?

125. Which character name (one of the regulars) was misspelled in the credits for The Undiscovered Country. How was it mispelled?

126. The original title of this TOS episode was Portrait In Black and White. What was the final title, courtesy of the playwright who left his second-best bed to his wife in his will?

127. Todd Bryant played Klingon Captain Klaa in The Final Frontier. Name his two other TOS film roles.

Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis
12-09-2006, 05:17 AM
Honestly, I'm not trying to spam, but since this is a Star Trek trivia thread, I should include my sig. I own a ton of TOS scripts, and do little reviews of them for a fanzine publisher's website. See the link in my sig if you're interested in some things that never made it to air.

Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis
12-09-2006, 05:18 AM
Honestly, I'm not trying to spam, but since this is a Star Trek trivia thread, I should include my sig. I own a ton of TOS scripts, and do little reviews of them for a fanzine publisher's website. See the link in my sig if you're interested in some things that never made it to air.

Sir Rhosis

http://www.fastcopyinc.com/orionpress/articles/unseen.htm

Kamino Neko
12-09-2006, 05:34 AM
126. The original title of this TOS episode was Portrait In Black and White. What was the final title, courtesy of the playwright who left his second-best bed to his wife in his will?

Portrait in Black and White became Let That Be Your Last Battlefield, although I can't actually place the line. Whence comes it?

Pushkin
12-09-2006, 06:35 AM

Without knowing anything about this author, all I can think of is "Let This Be Your Last Battlefield" :)

ivylass
12-09-2006, 08:28 AM
"
123. What is the English translation of Pavel (as in Pavel Chekov)?

Paul

Pushkin
12-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Portrait in Black and White became Let That Be Your Last Battlefield, although I can't actually place the line. Whence comes it?

Damn, I take my time previewing these days, beat me to it it seems. I can't remember the line being uttered in the episode though.

Sir Rhosis
12-09-2006, 12:21 PM
You're both wrong in answering "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield."

The title that the episode originally called "Portrait In Black and White" finally aired under is taken from a line by Shakespeare, the guy who left his second-best bed to his wife.

Though I do see that "Portrait In Black and White" would fit "Battlefield" better.

Correct on Pavel=Paul.

Sir Rhosis

Steve MB
12-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Mirror universe Kirk.
Correct.

Elendil's Heir
12-09-2006, 03:02 PM
125. Which character name (one of the regulars) was misspelled in the credits for "The Undiscovered Country." How was it mispelled?

I'm gonna guess that they misspelled Chekov as "Checkov."

Clark K
12-09-2006, 03:23 PM
For Khan and any other fans of the USS Excelsior design, here are some good pics: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/excelsior1.htm

Google Images will also turn up a bunch.

I'm looking at the pics of the Excelsior and the B in your link, and I can't see any difference. What's this horrible design change?

Steve MB
12-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Yep, I think it was the Mirror Universe Kirk, who said something to Spock like "You want money? Power? A ship of your own? I can get that for you, Spock." To which Spock replied (with possibly his best delivery of the entire series), "Fascinating."
I also loved his deadpan "I can answer none of your questions at this time" in response to Mirror-Kirk's ranting demands to know what happened to his personal guard, his uniform, etc.

Sir Rhosis
12-09-2006, 03:37 PM
No, it was not Chekov's name which was misspelled.

Sir Rhosis

Khan
12-09-2006, 03:43 PM
112.) Pushkin got "The Great Experiment," and Sir Rhosis got "Bucket of bolts."

And good call on EAS, Elendil's Heir. I think a good portion of my trivia knowledge comes from reading his occasional analyses. I'd have never noticed a lot of the stuff I now know otherwise.

I'm looking at the pics of the Excelsior and the B in your link, and I can't see any difference. What's this horrible design change?

Here are similar angle shots on the Excelsior variants:

Original (http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/excelsior1.jpg)
Enterprise-B (http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/eb1a.jpg)

Notice the front ends of the nacelles, the rear of the saucer, and those stupid "jowls" they put on the sides of the secondary hull.

Peter Morris
12-09-2006, 04:22 PM
You're both wrong in answering "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield."

The title that the episode originally called "Portrait In Black and White" finally aired under is taken from a line by Shakespeare, the guy who left his second-best bed to his wife.

Though I do see that "Portrait In Black and White" would fit "Battlefield" better.

Correct on Pavel=Paul.

Sir Rhosis

The Conscience Of The King, I presume (From Hamlet.)

Or possibly Mirror Mirror from the line "Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all" in Romeo & Juliet.

what?

Pushkin
12-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Here are similar angle shots on the Excelsior variants:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/excelsior1.jpg
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/eb1a.jpg

Notice the front ends of the nacelles, the rear of the saucer, and those stupid "jowls" they put on the sides of the secondary hull.

Took out the coding as they don't allow hotlinking in EAS :)

Pushkin
12-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Sorry, messed that one up too :rolleyes:

But I see what Khan means, for Generations the Enterprise B Excelsior class was beefed up in the same way the Ford Mustang Mach 1 was compared to the sleeker original.

Sir Rhosis
12-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Correct, Peter. It was the original title of The Conscience of The King.

Sir Rhosis

Elendil's Heir
12-09-2006, 11:35 PM
128. After tending to the Horta, Dr. McCoy says he's beginning to think he can cure... what?

129. Data briefly commands this starship during the Klingon Civil War.

130. The observation deck above the Enterprise's main shuttlebay is shown in only one TOS episode, when Kirk and a female guest visit it. Which episode?

131. Near what nebula is the Enterprise-D to meet the USS Kearsarge in TNG "Firstborn"?

132. This nutty high-ranking Starfleet officer isn't the co-host of "Wayne's World," he's... who?

Sir Rhosis
12-09-2006, 11:39 PM
128. "a rainy day." (IIRC)
130. Uh, one which has a title which is from a play by a certain playwright who left his second-best.... (IIRC) :D
132. Looooord Garth of Izar (Garth of Titan in the first draft, btw)

I still have a few unanswered, so I won't ask any new ones.

Sir Rhosis

Monstre
12-09-2006, 11:40 PM
121. In the TNG series finale, "All Good Things...", older Picard says angrily, "Where's the anomaly, Q?!" Q, mocking him in the guise of an old man, replies.... ?"Where's your mommy?! I don't know where your mommy is." or words to that effect.

Yep -- close enough. If I recall correctly (and I think I do, because it was one of my favorite Q lines), it was:

Q (in old man voice): "What? Where's your mommy? Why... I don't know!"

Elendil's Heir
12-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Here are two kinda similar POVs on the Excelsior class. The first is the "clean" view originally seen in "ST III: The Search for Spock," while the second is the fugly, spare-tire Enterprise-B in "ST Generations."

http://z.about.com/f/wiki/e/en/thumb/0/09/Excelsior07.jpg/300px-Excelsior07.jpg

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/ENTERPRISE%20B%20BOX%20ART.jpg

Elendil's Heir
12-09-2006, 11:43 PM
128. "a rainy day." (IIRC)
130. Uh, one which has a title which is from a play by a certain playwright who left his second-best.... (IIRC) :D
132. Looooord Garth of Izar (Garth of Titan in the first draft, btw)

I still have a few unanswered, so I won't ask any new ones.

Sir Rhosis

Right on all three. :D Didn't know about the Titan reference - glad they changed it.

Go ahead, ask some more questions!

Sir Rhosis
12-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Okay, but I'll give the answer to one of my more obscure ones, since most sane people wouldn't know it! :D

The Mugato was called a Gumato in the script, but De Kelley kept mispronouncing it as Mugato, so everybody else called it a Mugato too. I think one line (Shatner's?) made it into the episode where he calls it a Gumato.

Uh, new questions:

133. Name the TOS film which had these early story/script titles -- The War of The Generations, The Omega Syndrome, The Undiscovered Country.

134. Who was considered for the role of a nutty college professor the crew of the Enterprise was to meet in 1986 in The Voyage Home? The role was eventually rewritten to be that of marine biologist Gillian Taylor (Catherine Hicks).

135. A (fake, I hope) rock thrown by one of the natives of a planet bounces off the head of an Enterprise crewman in this episode. The actor ignored it and kept running. Name the episode.

136. In 1996 the producers of DS9 decided to make a tribute to TOS episode. Of course it was Trials and Tribble-ations. What other episode did they almost make a sequel to? Describe briefly what the plot of this ep would have been.

137. What TOS episode's story outline was called The Sons of Socrates?

Sir Rhosis

Khan
12-10-2006, 01:36 AM
129.) The Sutherland.
133.) STII. I know "The Undiscovered Country" was considered, but wtf "Omega Syndrome?" Where'd that come from?
137.) "Plato's Stepchildren"

136 is damned intriguing. I wish I knew.

Sir Rhosis
12-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Correct on 133 and 137.

The Genesis Device was origianlly the Omega Device, Khan.

Omega, the end, was the connection, I suppose. I've never actually read any of the TWOK early drafts, just read synopses of them.

Sir Rhosis

Elendil's Heir
12-10-2006, 11:00 AM
134. Who was considered for the role of a nutty college professor the crew of the Enterprise was to meet in 1986 in The Voyage Home? The role was eventually rewritten to be that of marine biologist Gillian Taylor (Catherine Hicks).

135. A (fake, I hope) rock thrown by one of the natives of a planet bounces off the head of an Enterprise crewman in this episode. The actor ignored it and kept running. Name the episode.

136. In 1996 the producers of DS9 decided to make a tribute to TOS episode. Of course it was Trials and Tribble-ations. What other episode did they almost make a sequel to? Describe briefly what the plot of this ep would have been.

134. Eddie Murphy (pretty big clue!)
135. TOS "The Apple"?
136. Well, there were a couple of DS9 episodes that were sequels to TOS "Mirror, Mirror." Or were you thinking of something else?

Elendil's Heir
12-10-2006, 11:03 AM
129.) The Sutherland.

Right. Later referred to, in passing, as a "party ship" or the like on DS9 (apparently the Sutherland's crew liked to party hearty). Also the name of Horatio Hornblower's Royal Navy ship of the line, and thus an homage to Roddenberry's concept of Kirk = Hornblower.

Sir Rhosis
12-10-2006, 11:03 AM
134 is correct, the other two are incorrect.

136--a clue--Sisko and crew would have discovered a planet of imitative Trekkie-like people.

Sir Rhosis

Peter Morris
12-10-2006, 12:41 PM
That's a very big hint. A piece of the action

Khan
12-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Here's a list of the questions that haven't been answered (completely) so far. There are some that haven't been confirmed as right or wrong, but I didn't include those. Apologies if I skipped any, or used any that have already been answered. For the ones I asked or looked up, I put the answers in spoiler boxes.

28.) Which one of Phlox's pets did he use to clear the Xindi neural parasites out of Hoshi's nervous system?
They were "no match" for his Osmotic Eel.

29.) How many members of Khan's crew got killed by the Ceti Eels?
They killed 20 of my people. Including my beloved wife.

31.) What do Bajorans do when somebody dies? For how long?
2-hour death chant

32.) When exposed to the Manheim Effect, Data violates his programming. What does he do that should be unable to do?
He uses a contraction. That one was tough. I was thinking it was something in the plot, not a scripting error.

35.) Name 5 of the ships destroyed by the Borg at the battle of Wolf 359. Bonus: how many Starfleet ships were lost there?
Ones I could remember: Kyushu, Melbourne, Saratoga (Sisko's ship), Tolstoy, Ahwahnee. 39 losses total.
Others mentioned in the dialogue or shown on screen: Bellerophon, Bonestell, Buran, Chekov, Firebrand, Gage, Liberatore, Princeton, Roosevelt, Yamaguchi

36.) In STIV, what hospital was Chekov taken to after he took a dive off the deck of the "Enterprise?"
Mercy Hospital

40.) What is the combination to Kirk's safe? (The correct answer can be expressed in three words)
Note: I assume that "get a life" is a joke :dubious:

44.) Name an officer who was among the few in Starfleet never to have tried Romulan Ale.
Admiral William Ross

45.) What cocktail did Data prepare for Deanna Troi after she beat him in a game of 3D chess?
Samarian Sunset. It's clear until you tap the glass and it turns orange in a lovely display of color.

57.) Spot and her kittens weren't the only non-humanoids on the Enterprise to fall victim to Barclay's protomorphosis syndrome. Which other pet did we see transformed, and what did it devolve into? Bonus: identify the mistake in this question.

Picard's lionfish Livingstone was transformed into a Jellyfish. I actually ran across this a couple days before this thread got started. I'd be willing to bet that no one apart from the production team and the guys who posted that on their site would have ever noticed that.

As for the bonus, only Spot transformed. When Data and Picard saw that the kittens were unaffected, that clued them into how they could cure it.

68.) What formation [Wesley Crusher and his team] supposed to be flying [when they tried the Kolvoord Starburst and crashed]?

Diamond slot formation.

72.) In ENT: "Vox Sola," what did crew members of the Enterprise do to inadvertently offend the visiting Kretassans?

They were eating in openly/in public. To the Kretassans, that's an intimate act akin to mating. Uptight bunch, aren't they?

76.) What is the Intrepid class' maximum rated warp speed?

82.) Name the Federation diplomat who shacks up with Zefram Cochrane.

Nancy Hedford, played by Elinor Donahue

84.) What is Christopher Pike's highest known rank?

Fleet Captain

85.) The crew of what Vulcan-crewed starship plays the DS9 senior staff in a baseball game?
The T'Kumbra, commanded by Captain Solok.

88.) Apart from phase discriminators, emotion chips (and any associated baggage, eg sadism), and use of contractions mentioned so far, name another way to distinguish Data from Lore.
At least in the first season, Lore had a facial tick.

89.) You might remember that one of Edward Jellico's first acts as captain of the Enterprise-D was to "get that fish out of the ready room." What living creature did he essentially replace it with?
He put in a potted plant where Picard's Shakespeare volume used to be. To be more specific, the plant was some variety of evergreen.

99.) Who were the first people (as far as we know) to separate their middle and ring fingers?

117.) What is Spock's computer-expert rating?

A7

119.) When discussing a knotty time-travel conundrum, Janeway tells Kim that if he doesn't believe her, he should ask...who?

125.) Which character name (one of the regulars) was misspelled in the credits for The Undiscovered Country. How was it mispelled?
I'm surprised I couldn't find an answer for this one even on IMDB.

127.) Todd Bryant played Klingon Captain Klaa in The Final Frontier. Name his two other TOS film roles.
He was the Klingon translator during the trial in STVI, and an engineering Cadet in STII

Khan
12-10-2006, 01:33 PM
116.) It just hit me. Habeas Corpus. :smack:

Anyway, time to collect:

138.) What was Captain Archer's favorite sport?

139.) Name the favorite heated drinks of a few famous 24th century starship captains.

140.) What game did Data lose the Zakdorn observer in "Peak Performance," the episode where Riker takes on the Enterprise in a war game exercise? What happened in their rematch?

141.) What recently discovered phenomenon was the Voyager's warp drive designed to accommodate?

142.) Under what circumstances are Starfleet captains no longer bound by the prime directive (at least as far as regulations are concerned)?

Peter Morris
12-10-2006, 01:52 PM
40.) What is the combination to Kirk's safe? (The correct answer can be expressed in three words)
Note: I assume that "get a life" is a joke :dubious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS2mgNugHcM

Khan
12-10-2006, 02:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS2mgNugHcM
I've seen that before, but I just figured that someone had gone through the trouble of pausing the DVD and figuring it out! :D :smack:

Pushkin
12-10-2006, 03:12 PM
138.) What was Captain Archer's favorite sport?

Water polo IIRC.

139.) Name the favorite heated drinks of a few famous 24th century starship captains.

Tea?

99.) Who were the first people (as far as we know) to separate their middle and ring fingers?

Do you mean that we see in the series or in canon history?

140.) What game did Data lose the Zakdorn observer in "Peak Performance," the episode where Riker takes on the Enterprise in a war game exercise? What happened in their rematch?

I can't remember the name of the game, but in the rematch, Data simply took the game to a complete stalemate, infuriating his opponent (and intriguing the ship's Doctor)

141.) What recently discovered phenomenon was the Voyager's warp drive designed to accommodate?

Transwarp?

142.) Under what circumstances are Starfleet captains no longer bound by the prime directive (at least as far as regulations are concerned)?

When a society can be shown to be stagnating and not likely to progress.

143. One of my own now, what technological fear/dislike did Dr. McCoy and Dr. Pulaski share?

Khan
12-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Water polo IIRC.

Tea?

Do you mean that we see in the series or in canon history?

I can't remember the name of the game, but in the rematch, Data simply took the game to a complete stalemate, infuriating his opponent (and intriguing the ship's Doctor)

Transwarp?

When a society can be shown to be stagnating and not likely to progress.
Correct.
Be more specific. Note "drinks:" I'm looking for specific favorites of specific people (those people being Picard, Sisko, and Janeway).
In the series (apart from the technical manuals, I thought canon only included what was on screen?)
Correct on the stalemate
No
No

Peter Morris
12-10-2006, 03:48 PM

I want to say strategemia

143. One of my own now, what technological fear/dislike did Dr. McCoy and Dr. Pulaski share?

transporter

Peter Morris
12-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Correct.
Be more specific. Note "drinks:" I'm looking for specific favorites of specific people (those people being Picard, Sisko, and Janeway).

Picard - Tea, Earl Grey, hot
Sisko - Raktagino ?
Janeway - Coffee.

Captain Sulu also drank tea on duty, as seen in an episode of Voyager.

Pushkin
12-10-2006, 04:39 PM
In the series (apart from the technical manuals, I thought canon only included what was on screen?)

Sorry, I meant in chronological order of series broadcast or chonological order by canon (i.e. as broadcast TOS came first but ENT as a prequel came first in canon chronology)

Khan
12-10-2006, 05:22 PM
It turns out I wasn't in a position to answer your question, Pushkin. When I responded I actually had in mind a question that I decided not to ask. tdn asked about separating the middle and ring fingers, so I don't know if he meant within the series chronology or in real time. The list I put together further back is just what hasn't been answered so far from the previous pages.

Sir Rhosis
12-10-2006, 09:16 PM
That's a very big hint. A piece of the action

Correct. The story that Ronald D. Moore pitched was this. Sisko and crew return to Iotia to discover that the communicator which Doctor McCoy accidentally left behind a century earlier has caused an upheaval in the imitative Iotian society. They figured out how to use the communicator to tie into Federation databases (or something like that). They then proceeded to download all the logs of the various adventures that Kirk and his Enterprise were involved in. They became such devotees of Kirk and his crew that they have patterned their entire society on them. They dress like the various Star Fleet officers on that ship, gather together in huge convention halls and act out the many adventures.

In short, they have become rabid Trekkies...

Sir Rhosis

I'll go ahead and answer one of my more obscure ones. A character (Lindstrom) is beaned by the rock while running away during Festival in the episode "The Return of The Archons."

Peter Morris
12-10-2006, 09:39 PM
144) Which regular actor appears in a prominent role in a movie closely connected to a Star Trek episode?

( I actually watched the movie today, btw.)

Elendil's Heir
12-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Khan, thank you VERY much for compiling the as-yet unanswered questions. That was on my weekend to-do list but I wasn't able to do it. Well done! I think you're missing, though, this question:

131. Near what nebula is the Enterprise-D to meet the USS Kearsarge in TNG "Firstborn"?

All of the answers you suggest are accurate, I believe (I'd posted questions 82, 84, 85 and 117, and you got those right).

As for...

116. I wasn't thinking of habeas corpus (is that even mentioned in an episode? Which one, or in what context? I don't remember that at all). Care to guess again?

Elendil's Heir
12-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Here are some more:

145. When he's acting as a mouthpiece for the Borg, how is Picard referred to?

146. What four Constitution-class starships take on the Enterprise in war games in TOS "The Ultimate Computer"? Which of them has its entire crew killed?

147. Portraits of which two historic leaders hang in the Enterprise-A's wardroom when Kirk hosts a dinner with the Klingon Chancellor and his party?

148. What Vulcan notable later provided the name of a one-hit-wonder rock band?

149. What Federation starship is destroyed by the Klingons at the Genesis Planet, thus stranding Lt. Saavik and Dr. David Marcus?

Peter Morris
12-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Here are some more:

145. When he's acting as a mouthpiece for the Borg, how is Picard referred to?

148. What Vulcan notable later provided the name of a one-hit-wonder rock band?

14 ) Locutus of Borg

149) T'Pau

Steve Wright
12-11-2006, 12:24 AM
141.) What recently discovered phenomenon was the Voyager's warp drive designed to accommodate? It's that, umm, warp drive pollution of subspace thing, isn't it? (Please don't ask me to quote the exact technobabble ... ) The Voyager's variable-configuration warp nacelles allow it to travel faster than Warp 5 without tearing holes in the space-time continuum, or whatever all that was about.

Khan
12-11-2006, 01:35 AM

116. I wasn't thinking of habeas corpus (is that even mentioned in an episode? Which one, or in what context? I don't remember that at all). Care to guess again?
You're welcome. Sorry about 131.

I came up with Habeas Corpus through some half-assed mixing of the anti-changeling hysteria on Earth leading up to the Dominion War, the Bashir/Romulus/Section 31 conspiracy episode (even though that has nothing to do with Habeas Corpus), and various questionable activities in the war on terror.

Guess I didn't really think that one through, huh?

138.) for Pushkin
140.) for Pushkin and Peter Morris
141.) for Steve Wright

145.) They named him Locutus, as Peter Morris said, but until then any self-reference by the Borg involved "we." Locutus was the first Borg to use first-person singular.

149.) USS Grissom

150.) The actor who played the Captain of the Enterprise-B in Generations is famous for his role in a 1980's comedy. Who is the actor, and what was the movie?

151.) What seemingly anachronistic ornament did Dr. Crusher wear in an early TNG episode?

152.) Within the timeline of the Star Trek universe, what members of the TOS Enterprise senior staff have we not heard from since the end of the 23rd century? (flashbacks don't count)

153.) What part of Data's positronic net got damaged, leading to his blowing the cover of the observation post on the Baku planet in Insurrection?

154.) What present-day slang/metaphor did Geordi learn from Zefram Cochrane that he found particularly funny in First Contact?

Pushkin
12-11-2006, 06:22 AM
146.) The M5 computer used the Enterprise to take out the USS Excalibre or Excalibur, I can't remember the spelling.

152.) I think the big three and Scotty made it through to TNG and the movies. The only ones who didn't IIRC, were Sulu, Chekov and Uhura. Sulu appears in a Voyager flashback so we're not to count him right? Dammit why didn't we see more of him as captain :mad:

McCoy appears in the TNG pilot, Kirk appears in Generations and is mentioned in the Naked Now, Spock appears in Reunification and Scotty manages to hide himself in suspended animation till TNG times.

154.) Geordi found it amusing to refer to urination as needing a leak.

ivylass
12-11-2006, 07:04 AM
150.) The actor who played the Captain of the Enterprise-B in Generations is famous for his role in a 1980's comedy. Who is the actor, and what was the movie?

Alan Ruck, who played Cameron in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Elendil's Heir
12-11-2006, 08:06 AM
[145]) Locutus of Borg

[148]) T'Pau

Both correct (numbers corrected above).

Elendil's Heir
12-11-2006, 08:08 AM
146.) The M5 computer used the Enterprise to take out the USS Excalibre or Excalibur, I can't remember the spelling.

USS Excalibur is correct.

Elendil's Heir
12-11-2006, 08:25 AM
No one's answered it yet, so....

104. In which episode does Kirk wear all three kinds of Starfleet shirt?

TOS "Court-Martial." He's got on his green captain's-choice shirt when he reports to Commodore Stone on Finney's supposed death, his dress-uniform shirt during the court-martial, and his regular Command-gold shirt in several other scenes, including when he fights Finney in Engineering (and gets his shirt torn, of course).

[116.] I came up with Habeas Corpus through some half-assed mixing of the anti-changeling hysteria on Earth leading up to the Dominion War, the Bashir/Romulus/Section 31 conspiracy episode (even though that has nothing to do with Habeas Corpus), and various questionable activities in the war on terror.

Guess I didn't really think that one through, huh?...
No prob. I don't believe habeas corpus has ever been mentioned in ST (although that episode would be a natural place to do it). I was actually thinking of grand juries, which have become less common in both the American (state) and British legal systems in recent years. Odo is escorting/guarding Quark on the way to testify before a Federation grand jury in a DS9 episode; they get stuck on a forested world and have to work together to survive after a bomb destroys their Runabout.

I'll also answer this one, since no one else has:

119. When discussing a knotty time-travel conundrum, Janeway tells Kim that if he doesn't believe her, he should ask...who?

Answer: Himself! Kim recorded a message to himself in his own past, which Janeway suggests he watch.

149.) USS Grissom

Correct.

Elendil's Heir
12-12-2006, 11:16 AM
155. In TOS "Dagger of the Mind," Kirk saves the day with the help of what lovely Enterprise doctor?

156. In TNG "The Defector," Picard watches as Data plays what Shakespearean role on the Holodeck? (Incidentally, Patrick Stewart plays another role in the same scene).

157. The second ship of the Enterprise, NX-01, class is named the...?

158. The names of these two noteworthy American Civil War ships were given to TNG-era Nebula-class starships.

159. The Cardassian equivalent of the CIA was called what?

DocCathode
12-12-2006, 03:20 PM
156. In TNG "The Defector," Picard watches as Data plays what Shakespearean role on the Holodeck? (Incidentally, Patrick Stewart plays another role in the same scene).
159. The Cardassian equivalent of the CIA was called what?

Henry the fifth

the Obsidian Order

Elendil's Heir
12-12-2006, 09:00 PM
[156.] Henry the [F]ifth

[159.] the Obsidian Order

Correctamundo on both.

Khan
12-12-2006, 09:53 PM
156.) Henry V
157.) NX-02, Columbia
158.) Merrimack and Monitor

Enola Straight
12-12-2006, 10:38 PM
What name ties-in both the Star Trek and Knight Rider universes?

What is Chekov's phaser firing rate?

nocturnal_tick
12-12-2006, 10:57 PM
157. The second ship of the Enterprise, NX-01, class is named the...?
Columbia?

The Omega Directive.

Can I play now?

162. Name B'Elanna Torres' mother and daughter?

Pushkin
12-13-2006, 06:05 AM

I swore it was the same as our office combination and looked it up in Memory Alpha. There would appear to be at least two different combinations from this trivia (http://memory-alpha.org/en/index.php?title=What_Are_Little_Girls_Made_Of%3F&printable=yes#Background_Information).

Peter Morris
12-13-2006, 06:38 AM
What name ties-in both the Star Trek and Knight Rider universes?

Miles?

Elendil's Heir
12-13-2006, 08:06 AM
156.) Henry V
157.) NX-02, Columbia
158.) Merrimack and Monitor

All three correct (and need not have been spoilered).

Elendil's Heir
12-13-2006, 08:07 AM
[160.] What name ties-in both the Star Trek and Knight Rider universes?

[161.] What is Chekov's phaser firing rate?

Question numbers added. Enola, please read the OP. Thanks!

Enola Straight
12-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Question numbers added. Enola, please read the OP. Thanks!

'kay.

"Miles" is not the name I'm looking for.

Unintentionally Blank
12-13-2006, 04:14 PM

You aced it. Well done.

That's not what I heard. I'd heard if they'd used the name Locarno, they would have had to pay residuals to the author of the original TNG episode.

Unintentionally Blank
12-13-2006, 04:23 PM
153.) What part of Data's positronic net got damaged, leading to his blowing the cover of the observation post on the Baku planet in Insurrection?

154.) What present-day slang/metaphor did Geordi learn from Zefram Cochrane that he found particularly funny in First Contact?

153: Self preservation circuit?

154: 'Take a leak'

162.) (From the novelization) In The Wrath of Khan, how much space did the game take up that the Lab guys were writing in their spare time? What planet did it 'swallow'?

Elendil's Heir
12-13-2006, 04:48 PM
That's not what I heard. I'd heard if they'd used the name Locarno, they would have had to pay residuals to the author of the original TNG episode.

You're right; that was certainly a factor. But Locarno also came off as a much bigger jerk than Paris, so even besides the name change, they were pretty different characters.

Plus Locarno had more hair. :D

Elendil's Heir
12-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Some as-yet unanswered questions, and their answers:

The Vodrey Nebula.

146. What four Constitution-class starships take on the Enterprise in war games in TOS "The Ultimate Computer"?....

The USS Lexington (Commodore Wesley's flagship), the USS Potemkin, the USS Hood and the particularly ill-fated USS Excalibur.

155. In TOS "Dagger of the Mind," Kirk saves the day with the help of what lovely Enterprise doctor?

The totally babelicious Dr. Helen Noel.

Alan Smithee
12-15-2006, 01:47 AM
160) Roykirk? (I think Jackson is the first name.) I know I read about this bit of cross-over-ness on the website that explains how almost every show ever broadcast is really the dream of the autistic kid on St Elsewhere. Knight Rider had (or mentioned) a character who had been mentioned (but had not appeared) in an episode of TOS. They included enough detail in KR to be sure that it was the same character, even if no one was meant to notice. Roykirk was the creator of Nomad, whom it mistook Kirk for.