PDA

View Full Version : Riots at the Paris Opera

mks57
12-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Has anyone compiled a list of the riots, and other violence, at the Paris Opera?

From reading liner notes, I've seen Tannhauser and Rite of Spring mentioned as causing riots. Also something by Antheil.

The Duc de Berry, Louis XVIII's nephew, was reported to have been murdered at the Paris Opera.

Moe
12-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Has anyone compiled a list of the riots, and other violence, at the Paris Opera?

From reading liner notes, I've seen Tannhauser and Rite of Spring mentioned as causing riots. Also something by Antheil.

The Duc de Berry, Louis XVIII's nephew, was reported to have been murdered at the Paris Opera.

Well, the Rite of Spring is a ballet and was performed by the Ballets Russes in Paris. The riot is legendary, and facinating.

Not sure what you mean by the "Paris Opera" unless you're just referring to music halls in Paris, which I know nothing about.

Moe
12-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Well, the Rite of Spring is a ballet and was performed by the Ballets Russes in Paris. The riot is legendary, and facinating.

Not sure what you mean by the "Paris Opera" unless you're just referring to music halls in Paris, which I know nothing about.

OK, after checking wiki, the "Paris Opera" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_opera) apparently does refer to the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées which is where the riot happened.

My mistake.

Maeglin
12-05-2006, 12:59 PM
The Antheil piece that caused the rioting was the Ballet Mecanique.

cbawlmer
12-05-2006, 02:49 PM
And then there was that whole mess with the Phantom.