PDA

View Full Version : What Movie Did I See Part Of--Camera POV Was A Character

Sir Rhosis
12-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Earlier today was at the hospital w/my wife (she'll be fine) and semi-watched a few minutes of a B/W movie (no sound on the set). The characters addrressed the camera as a character, but in what I saw we never left this subjective POV to reveal who (or what) the character was.

I believe I may have spotted a young Lauren Bacall driving an old panel van gabbing away with this unseen person.

From what I saw, it seemes like something I might like to seek out. Looked to be late-1940s/early-50s.

Anybody...?

Sir Rhosis

pseudotriton ruber ruber
12-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Earlier today was at the hospital w/my wife (she'll be fine) and semi-watched a few minutes of a B/W movie (no sound on the set). The characters addrressed the camera as a character, but in what I saw we never left this subjective POV to reveal who (or what) the character was.

I believe I may have spotted a young Lauren Bacall driving an old panel van gabbing away with this unseen person.

From what I saw, it seemes like something I might like to seek out. Looked to be late-1940s/early-50s.

Anybody...?

Sir Rhosis

Lady in the Lake? Was Robert Montgomery in it?

pseudotriton ruber ruber
12-06-2006, 08:16 PM
No Bacall, though.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0039545/

Sir Rhosis
12-06-2006, 08:17 PM
I don't recall seeing him, but I really only know Montgomery from the boxer goes to heaven and forty years later Warren Beatty follows him movie. After Bacall, "Camera" talked to a cabbie, then went to a hotel room and talked to some guy there. I think a pair of hands (the hands of the camera character) handed the guy in the hotel a saxaphone.

Any help?

Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis
12-06-2006, 08:18 PM
May not have been Bacall. I'll look at the link now.

SR

Sir Rhosis
12-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Well, hard to tell, but that sounds like it, I guess. I only saw maybe ten minutes of it, and wasn't paying super close attention. There was a scene where we do see somebody with a completely bandaged head that looked to be filmed in regular omniscient (or whatever the word is) camerawork.

At that moment, the deoctor called and that was all I saw.

Sir Rhosis

Governor Quinn
12-06-2006, 08:54 PM
According to TCM, what you saw was the 1947 movie Dark Passage (http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=33817), which used the same gimmick as Lady in the Lake.

DesertDog
12-06-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm guessing Dark Passage (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039302/). It's got Becall, it's got Bogie, and it's playing in rotation on TCM right now, says IMDb.

The early scenes are all character POV of a con who breaks out of San Quentin. Becall and a friendly cabbie take the con to a plastic surgeon and after the bandages are removed the con is Bogie. I don't remember any saxophone, but it's been decades since I've seen it.

Sir Rhosis
12-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks, that's it. It may not have been a sax, as I said I wasn't giving it more than compartmental attention, but I thought I remembered him handing something with "keys" to the guy in the hotel. Hell, I may have been thinking of something else in yet another corner of my mind as I saw the scene.

Sir Rhosis