PDA

View Full Version : Obscure Christmas Specials

brianjedi
12-10-2006, 02:25 AM
For all the "A Charlie Brown Christmas"es and "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"s on TV, there are just as many Christmas specials that are barely remembered. What's your personal favorite that few people have seen?

Mine has to be the 1991 Opus & Bill special "A Wish For Wings That Work." It aired only once despite being hilarious. It's survived in my family thanks to a cousin who happened to tape it and a VHS release that I happened to find on Amazon.

Rumor has it Berkeley Breathed hated it, which is why it only aired once and isn't in print now. It's great, though, featuring uncredited cameos by Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman (it was produced by Amblin Entertainment.)

elfkin477
12-10-2006, 10:54 AM
My brother accidentally taped over it :mad: He was only eight or nine, though, which may be the only reason I let him live.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
12-10-2006, 11:50 AM
"J.T." (of which I own a copy):D
"The Littlest Angel," with Johnny Whitaker.
And one that I've never seen, but would like to: A Carol for Another Christmas (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0057916/), Dickens' tale as retooled by Rod Serling. I believe the Museum of TV and Radio (or whatever it's called) in NYC and LA have copies of it, and I've always said that the next time I'm in one of those two cities, I'd like to arrange a viewing of it.

Oh, and another forgotten favorite: An Ed Sullivan/Muppets special "The Great Santa Claus Switch," with Art Carney.

DianaG
12-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Not sure that it qualifies as "obscure", but since to my great consternation it's not available on DVD, I submit the Muppet special The Christmas Toy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099263/). It's one of my favorites, and I would love to buy it for my nieces, but they don't have a VHS.

I also love A Muppet Family Christmas (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251282/) (Careful the icy patch!!!) and Olive, the Other Reindeer (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0227173/).

ZipperJJ
12-10-2006, 01:15 PM
My absolute favorite Christmas special of all time is "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" which was shown on PBS every Christmas for a very long time - but apparently very few people but me were watching it.

I got a VHS copy of it a few years ago and I still watch it every Christmas. There are some awesome songs, hilarious bits (Cookie Monster trying to write to Santa is the best) and touching moments (Bert & Ernie exchange gifts a la "Gift of the Magi").

I'm not sure how obscure it is exactly but no one I know remembers watching it (came out in 1978).

Also, I have a stash of torrented Christmas cartoons like "Fat Albert's Christmas" and "Cabbage Patch Kids Christmas" and some others. My brother and I watched them last year and decided that all kids Christmas cartoon specials are seriously depressing - Christmas gets cancelled, kids get lost, Santa gets sick. Ugh.

MovieMogul
12-10-2006, 01:33 PM
It seems to have had a resurgence of interest recently, but for the longest time, my favorite was the terribly sad Jack Frost, which was impossible to find and never, ever repeated.

Tangent
12-10-2006, 01:47 PM
A long time ago I saw a movie at the theaters called All I Want For Christmas. It probably shows up on cable during the holidays, but I've never seen it since it was first released. Anyways, it was a cute and heartfelt (though probably misguided) story about kids trying to get their parents (who are separated) back together, by coming up with some improbable plan that I can't fully remember now.
But the most interesting thing about it is the cast, which includes Lauren Bacall as the grandmother and Leslie Nielson as Santa Claus. Jamey Sheridan is Dad, and Harley Jane Kozak (whom I had the hots for in Parenthood, Arachnophobia, and Necessary Roughness) is Mom. Then kids are played by then-unknowns Ethan Embry and Thora Birch. Kevin Nealon and Andrea Martin are featured in supporting roles.
So your mileage may vary wildly on this one, but it could be worth a watch.

Snooooopy
12-10-2006, 02:04 PM
I remember finding "Ziggy's Gift" to be touching.

Queen Bruin
12-10-2006, 02:06 PM
I want my California Raisins Claymation Christmas back, dammit!!!

NDP
12-10-2006, 02:14 PM
It seems to have had a resurgence of interest recently, but for the longest time, my favorite was the terribly sad Jack Frost, which was impossible to find and never, ever repeated.

If you're talking about the Jack Frost that's narrated by Buddy Hacket (as a groundhog) and features a wonderfully daft villain with a iron ventriliquist's dummy, I just saw that on ABC Family yesterday morning while I was channel surfing. Maybe they'll repeat it again later this month.

Incidentally, that wasn't really a Christmas special since the events mainly center around Groundhog Day.

MovieMogul
12-10-2006, 02:35 PM
If you're talking about the Jack Frost that's narrated by Buddy Hacket (as a groundhog) and features a wonderfully daft villain with a iron ventriliquist's dummy, I just saw that on ABC Family yesterday morning while I was channel surfing. Maybe they'll repeat it again later this month.Yeah, I saw (and DVR'd) it on the ABC Family Schedule, too, plus I remember seeing it rerun in the past couple of Christmases, though before that, it hadn't been since I was a kid. Haven't actually watched it yet, but that's what that week off is for. :)

Chefguy
12-10-2006, 03:10 PM
A Christmas Memory, written and narrated by Truman Capote. It's not shown anymore (that I know of), but we found a copy on ebay.

aktep
12-10-2006, 04:12 PM

I have it on DVD. I'd never heard of it until I met my wife. It's her family's favorite.

El Perro Fumando
12-10-2006, 04:38 PM
My absolute favorite Christmas special of all time is "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" which was shown on PBS every Christmas for a very long time - but apparently very few people but me were watching it.

(Snip)

I'm not sure how obscure it is exactly but no one I know remembers watching it (came out in 1978).

I remember it well. Crack the whip, etc. Luckily Mr. Hooper saves the day for Bert and Ernie or I would have been scarred as a child.

I also wanted to recommend "A Muppet Family Christmas" but I see someone's beaten me to it. I wonder if it's on at all anymore. . .

And FWIW, I have the children's book version of "A Wish For Wings That Work" stashed away somewhere at my parents' house.

Raguleader
12-10-2006, 05:21 PM
IIRC, there was a Star Wars Christmas Special (not to be confused with the Star Wars Holiday Special) that was never aired, about a pair of Rebel soldiers stuck on Hoth after the Rebels evacuated Echo Base, and their attempts to protect a Wampa cub from the Imperials. This is where the name "Darth Tyranus" (Count Dooku's not-often-used Sith name) comes from, with the same guy playing a Sith lord in both Episode II-III and the Christmas Special, with the name being recycled.

On that note, the Star Wars Holiday Special probably counts as reasonably obscure.

Khadaji
12-10-2006, 06:23 PM
We're no angels (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048801/) Three convicts escape from Devil's Island and arrive at a nearby French colonial town. Initially they plan to steal supplies and clothing from the local store, but they take a liking to the store owner's family (more specifically his attractive daughter) and decide to stay and help them overcome many difficulties. It takes place at Christmas time and if a fun watch.

brianjedi
12-10-2006, 06:50 PM
I remember it well. Crack the whip, etc. Luckily Mr. Hooper saves the day for Bert and Ernie or I would have been scarred as a child.

I also wanted to recommend "A Muppet Family Christmas" but I see someone's beaten me to it. I wonder if it's on at all anymore. . .

And FWIW, I have the children's book version of "A Wish For Wings That Work" stashed away somewhere at my parents' house.

I had the book too, but it's not as good as the special. It's missing all the humor.

That Sesame Street special had an LP with some of the same material, and is another holiday tradition (I managed to find it in a non-vinyl format last month, so I have it on CD now.)

Ranchoth
12-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Not sure that it qualifies as "obscure", but since to my great consternation it's not available on DVD, I submit the Muppet special The Christmas Toy (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099263/). It's one of my favorites, and I would love to buy it for my nieces, but they don't have a VHS.

Woah, my family loved this one! We've had it on tape since it first aired—complete with all the Kraft commercials. I even watched the spinoff series in the early 90s, while it lasted.

(If it's of any help, I hear a number of older VHS releases record onto DVD just fine—not that I know anything about that, myself)

I have it [Raisins Christmas] on DVD. I'd never heard of it until I met my wife. It's her family's favorite.

Heh. Another family favorite, since I was a kid. My mom says that when my sister and me sang christmas songs as kids, they always sounded like the Motown versions, thanks to this special.

As for myself—anyone else ever catch The Forgotten Toys (http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Toys-Clement-Freud/dp/B00006HAW9/sr=1-1/qid=1165801179/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1988947-0288824?ie=UTF8&s=dvd), a couple of years back? It's kind of like The Christmas Toy—if it had been written by Dostoyevsky. Good, though. Touching. I like.

brianjedi
12-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Amazing news!

"A Wish For Wings That Work" will air Friday, December 15th, on "i" (what used to be PAX, apparently) at 6:30 Eastern.

It's still not as good as having it on DVD or Video CD, but I guess it will have to do.

maikai
12-10-2006, 09:22 PM
My favorite was The Night They Saved Christmas (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087797/) with Jaclyn Smith. I would consider it a Christmas miracle if I could see it again.

Elysium
12-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Oh my god I forgot about The Christmas Toy. That was definitely my favorite.

We might have it on VHS somewhere in my parent's basement. They taped everything when I was little. They definitely have the Claymation California Raisins as well. So much fun!

My fiancee has a taped copy of the Star Wars Christmas special that he says shows Chewbacca's family. Maybe this year I will get to watch it.

Nuveau Geek
12-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Rudolph's Shiny New Year, which I prefer to the more popular Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. As far as I know, it's never shown and nobody ever talks about it.

CalMeacham
12-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Not exactly forgotten, but not commonly seenn these days:

1.) Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. the first animated Christmas Special for TV (especially if you don't count those "From All of Us...To All of You" Commercials for their latest movies from Disney), with original songs by a seasoned team of Broadway writers, and the voice talents of Jim Backus, June Foray, Paul Frees, Jack Cassidy (!) and Morey Amsterdam (!) Great stuff, including a complex story-within-a-story about Magoo as a Broadway star doing a show of "A Christmas Carol". It was years before I learned that Tiny Tim was basically Gerald McBoing-Boing with a voice. The success of this encouraged a Saturday night animated series of Mr. Magoo literary adaptations. Without music.

2.) A Christmas Carol, produced but not directed by Chuck Jones. It featured animation based on the original illustrations for Dickens' story. Scrooge was voice by Alistair Sim!! (Who had played Scrooge in the 1951 film version, arguably the best).

3.) A sequel to A Charlie Brown Christmas was sold on VHS at (I think) gas stations back in the late 1980s. I don't know if it was ever broadcast.

mobo85
12-10-2006, 11:42 PM
A sequel to A Charlie Brown Christmas was sold on VHS at (I think) gas stations back in the late 1980s. I don't know if it was ever broadcast.

It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown aired on CBS in November 1992, and was, as you mentioned, also available for sale at Shell gas stations (although Paramount later put out a commercial VHS a few years later). The special was, as many later Peanuts specials were, a collection of sketches taken directly from the comic strip. If you want to stay strictly on the Schulz side, you could also add the somewhat-obscure I Want A Dog For Christmas, Charlie Brown which aired on ABC in 2003 and 2004, and Charlie Brown's Christmas Tales, which has filled out the hour-long Charlie Brown Christmas time slot since 2002 so ABC can show the latter uncut. Both of these are also taken directly from Peanuts comic strips.

jayjay
12-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Another Muppet offering, Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas. Never see it anymore, ever.

mobo85
12-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Although he's shown up on CBS every year for decades, Frosty the Snowman is somewhat the black sheep of the Christmas special family- his Rankin-Bass show, created five years after Rudolph and starring the voices of Jackie Vernon and Jimmy Durante, is a charmer, but not as celebrated as his red-nosed pal. But ol' Frosty is apparently so endearing a character that he's shown up in three other TV specials over the years (not counting the Rankin-Bass theatrical feature Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July). Although the first two of these have aired on TV every year for at least a decade, they are not as well-known as the happy, jolly soul's first TV foray:

Frosty's Winter Wonderland (1975). Vernon reprises his role as Frosty, who takes a wife (voice of Shelley Winters) and faces the evil Jack Frost, jealous of Frosty's popularity with the kids. Andy Griffith narrates and sings both the snowman's theme song and Winter Wonderland.

Frosty Returns (1992). Since all Rankin-Bass cartoons made after 1974 are owned by Warner Bros., Broadway Video (which owned the early R-B output at the time) apparently thought that they needed a "sequel" to air alongside Frosty's original story. Despite the title and the fact this film was made by the then-rightsholders of the original, this Frosty (voiced by John Goodman) looks nothing like the one who appeared in the first two specials. Johnathan Winters narrated this tale, which was animated by Bill Melendez Productions, the same studio who does the Peanuts specials- and indeed, most of the characters in this special look like Schulz knockoffs (except for the grown-ups, one of whom is a dead ringer for Hallmark Cards' Maxine). Frosty makes his way to sleepy Beansboro, which is not full of the Christmas spirit. Frosty must team up with a young girl to stop an evil businessman who is selling a snow-melting spray. The villain's rap number and some of the dialogue (Teacher to rambunctious schoolchildren: "What do you think this is, MTV?") horribly date this bizarre special.

The Legend of Frosty the Snowman (2005). This special, which premiered on Cartoon Network last year, was written by Emily Kapnek (As Told By Ginger, Emily's Reasons Why Not). Animated in Canada and produced by Classic Media (the current owners of the classic R-B output), Frosty once again looks as he did back in 1969- and even says "Happy birthday" when he springs to life. This time around, a group of children learn of Frosty's magic and use his help to bring the spirit of Christmas back to a bitter town. Frosty is voiced this time by Coach's Bill Faggerbake, using the same deep tones as Spongebob's dimwitted starfish pal.

mobo85
12-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Another Muppet offering, Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas. Never see it anymore, ever.

Was recently re-released on DVD last year by HIT Entertainment, who has a licensing agreement with Jim Henson Productions. Due to rivalries between HIT and the Walt Disney Company, HIT was, however, unable to obtain permission to use the Kermit character who appears in the opening and closing.

Ranchoth
12-11-2006, 12:18 AM
My favorite was The Night They Saved Christmas (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087797/) with Jaclyn Smith. I would consider it a Christmas miracle if I could see it again.

Rudolph's Shiny New Year, which I prefer to the more popular Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. As far as I know, it's never shown and nobody ever talks about it.

Whoa, THESE ones, too? I'm beggining to think I only saw obscure christmas specials as a kid.

mobo85
12-11-2006, 12:20 AM

This airs annually on ABC Family, who shows most of the Warner Bros.-owned Rankin-Bass specials as part of their annual "25 Days of Christmas."

AHunter3
12-11-2006, 12:29 AM
A Christmas Without Snow with John Houseman.

Queen Bruin
12-11-2006, 12:35 AM
I have it on DVD. I'd never heard of it until I met my wife. It's her family's favorite.
Holy crap. It's on DVD. And now on a UPS truck coming to my house! :D

Thank you.

mobo85
12-11-2006, 12:39 AM
I remember finding "Ziggy's Gift" to be touching.

Produced by British animator Richard Williams (The Thief and the Cobbler a.k.a. Arabian Knight), this special based on the Tom Wilson character was recently released on DVD.

bouv
12-11-2006, 01:00 AM
I don't recall seeing the Garfield Christmas Special on TV recently.

Fern Forest
12-11-2006, 02:01 AM
We're no angels (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048801/) It takes place at Christmas time and if a fun watch.
I love that movie. Definitely recommended.

Walloon
12-11-2006, 02:48 AM
The Stingiest Man in Town (1956), the first musical adaptation of A Christmas Carol, with Basil Rathbone and Vic Damone as the old and young Scrooge. Performed live on the series Shower of Stars. The soundtrack album is still available on CD. Remade as a Rankin-Bass cartoon in 1979.

Caractacus Pott
12-11-2006, 05:55 AM
Nuveau,
It's on a triple-header DVD in the $9.99 bin, sharing billing with Nestor the Long Eared Christmas Donkey, with The Year without a Santa Claus as the headliner act. Talk about your obscure Christmas specials. I'd forgotten about poor Nestor and his ears dragging in the sand until I got this disk.

don't ask
12-11-2006, 06:07 AM
Surely it is time for Blackadder's Christmas Carol (http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/b/blackadderschris_7770780.shtml) to rise again.

UntouchedTakeaway
12-11-2006, 06:19 AM
For all the "A Charlie Brown Christmas"es and "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"s on TV, there are just as many Christmas specials that are barely remembered. What's your personal favorite that few people have seen?

Mine has to be the 1991 Opus & Bill special "A Wish For Wings That Work." It aired only once despite being hilarious. It's survived in my family thanks to a cousin who happened to tape it and a VHS release that I happened to find on Amazon.

Rumor has it Berkeley Breathed hated it, which is why it only aired once and isn't in print now. It's great, though, featuring uncredited cameos by Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman (it was produced by Amblin Entertainment.)

"The Marty Party Christmas Special" on TNN. Country singer Marty Stuart, his band the Fabulous Superlatives and special guest Little Jimmy Dickens. Made for about a buck fifty. I adore Marty and this show is *hilarious* - in a totally unintentional way. It's not even listed on his filmography on imDB. :D

VCNJ~

CalMeacham
12-11-2006, 08:06 AM
They're not Christmas specials, but they were Christmas cartoons that used to get shown a lot on the independent cartoon shows.

1.) Rudolph the Rad-Nosed Reindeer -- long before the Rankin-Bass studios animated version, and I think even before the Johnny Marks song made famous by Gene Autry, Rudolph was a creation of Macy's and a character in a story that had a completely different plotline than the more recent and famous special, which this Fleischer studios cartoon reproduces faithfully. I'd wanted to see this or years, and finaly did a couple of years ago. It's like an alternate universe.

2.) Christmas comes but once a year -- Fleischer Studios colotr cartoon in which inventor Grampy cobbles together Christmas toys for a NEGLECTED orphanage. Great stuff.

CalMeacham
12-11-2006, 08:42 AM
This is one Snopes this morning, and seems appropriate:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/l/content/oh/story/living/holiday/2006/12/05/ddn120606lifebadholidaytv.html

melondeca
12-11-2006, 11:41 AM

My sister bought a copy of Claymation Christmas at Walmart. Not only did it have the Christmas special, but it also included the Claymation Halloween and Easter specials as well.

Draelin
12-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Was recently re-released on DVD last year by HIT Entertainment, who has a licensing agreement with Jim Henson Productions. Due to rivalries between HIT and the Walt Disney Company, HIT was, however, unable to obtain permission to use the Kermit character who appears in the opening and closing.
Hmm. I must have an older DVD, because I have Kermit on mine. My absolutely favorite Christmas watching-thing of all time. Screw Rudolph, says I. :) I might feel differently if Rudolph had a jug band, though.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
12-11-2006, 12:20 PM
1.) Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol.
Best...Christmas special...ever. At the very least, it forms a holy trinity with Charlie Brown and the Grinch.

Swallowed My Cellphone
12-11-2006, 03:46 PM
I remember that one. I even used to sing the song "Put one foot in front of the other...a and soon you'll be walking cross the floo-oo-oor... Put one foot in front of the other... And soon you'll be walking out the door."

It was also one of my favourites because it was sad. I was excitedly looking forward to it the following year, but I don't believe I saw it again as a child. The look of the Jack Frost puppet reminded me of a strange cross between Danny Kaye and Johnny Cash.

I also remember a stop animation story about a donkey with extremely long ears. It was sort of like an "ugly duckling" type tale, crossed with the nativity story. Like Rudolph with the glowing nose, the young donkey was ashamed of his enormous ears, but I think he ended up at the manger when Wee Baby Jesus was born.

Khadaji
12-11-2006, 04:06 PM
I remember that one. I even used to sing the song "Put one foot in front of the other...a and soon you'll be walking cross the floo-oo-oor... Put one foot in front of the other... And soon you'll be walking out the door."
<SNIP>I haven't seen Jack Frost, so maybe the song is on there too - but I first heard that song on Santa Clause is comin' to Town (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066327/)

Swallowed My Cellphone
12-11-2006, 04:19 PM
I haven't seen Jack Frost, so maybe the song is on there too - but I first heard that song on Santa Clause is comin' to Town (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066327/)
:smack: You are correct. I just conflated the two. Jack Frost bears quite a resemblance to the young, clean shaven Kris Kringle puppet, but Jack was Blond.

The Jack Frost story was compelling and at the time had an ending that was unresolved compared to many of the happily-ever-afters I was used to seeing at the time.

Skammer
12-11-2006, 04:56 PM
I also remember a stop animation story about a donkey with extremely long ears. It was sort of like an "ugly duckling" type tale, crossed with the nativity story. Like Rudolph with the glowing nose, the young donkey was ashamed of his enormous ears, but I think he ended up at the manger when Wee Baby Jesus was born. This would be the aforementioned Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey (see about the 11th post above by Caratacus Potts).

xizor
12-11-2006, 05:12 PM
There is also a Rankin Bass version of the Little Drummer Boy that is very dark and never aired anymore.

rowrrbazzle
12-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Obscure? How's The Dangerous Christmas of Red Riding Hood (1965 - Liza Minnelli, Cyril Ritchard) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281766/)? I only remember it vaguely from seeing it as a kid, but the one comment makes me think it would be interesting to see again.

The Mr. Magoo does show up every year on cable, I believe. I've seen it and listened carefully for Morey Amsterdam, but AFAICT he has only one line. IIRC it's from one of the men talking about going to Scrooge's funeral.

And I'd love to see the uncut Muppet Family Christmas.

Nuveau Geek
12-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Nuveau,
It's on a triple-header DVD in the $9.99 bin, sharing billing with Nestor the Long Eared Christmas Donkey, with The Year without a Santa Claus as the headliner act. Talk about your obscure Christmas specials. I'd forgotten about poor Nestor and his ears dragging in the sand until I got this disk.

I must find this.

Thanks for the head's up!!

kaylasdad99
12-11-2006, 05:50 PM
the Hallmark Hall of Fame

presents

AMAL

and the

NIGHT VISITORS

kaylasdad99
12-11-2006, 05:52 PM
And I'd love to see the uncut Muppet Family Christmas.Well, I think Henson was Jewish, so good luck with that.

OTOH, most of them appear to be wearing pants of some sort, so, how would you tell?

:D

Walloon
12-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Well, I think Henson was Jewish, so good luck with that.Christian Scientist, actually. Which may have played a part in his demise — he had come down with a severe Streptococcus infection, and delayed getting medical help until he was critical.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
12-11-2006, 06:45 PM
The Mr. Magoo does show up every year on cable, I believe. I've seen it and listened carefully for Morey Amsterdam, but AFAICT he has only one line. IIRC it's from one of the men talking about going to Scrooge's funeral.

IMDB shows him as having two roles, Brady and James...but offhand I don't know who either of those characters is. Presumably one of them is the character in the scene you referred to, who does only have one or two lines. Oddly, the cast list doesn't include any of the characters from my favorite scene: the charwoman, the laundress, the undertaker, and the pawnbroker! I was amazed to learn just now from IMDB that the song "People" (as in "People who need people...") was originally written for this show but missed the deadline.

jsc1953
12-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Oddly, the cast list doesn't include any of the characters from my favorite scene: the charwoman, the laundress, the undertaker, and the pawnbroker!

The undertaker is, I'm 99% certain, voiced by Paul Frees.

My holy trinity of Christmas specials: Magoo, Claymation and Grinch.

HubZilla
12-11-2006, 07:13 PM
IIRC, there was a Star Wars Christmas Special (not to be confused with the Star Wars Holiday Special) that was never aired, about a pair of Rebel soldiers stuck on Hoth after the Rebels evacuated Echo Base, and their attempts to protect a Wampa cub from the Imperials. This is where the name "Darth Tyranus" (Count Dooku's not-often-used Sith name) comes from, with the same guy playing a Sith lord in both Episode II-III and the Christmas Special, with the name being recycled.

That was an April Fools Joke at StompTokyo.com

And then there was Mr. T's Christmas Special. It was based on that Mr T Saturday cartoon, with the gymnasts, white boy acting like Mr. T, and a dog with a mohawk.

Morelin
12-11-2006, 07:53 PM

I also love A Muppet Family Christmas (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251282/) (Careful the icy patch!!!) and Olive, the Other Reindeer (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0227173/).

I came in to say The Muppet Family Christmas, but then you reminded me of my most favorite movie of all, The Christmas Toy. I watched that all year round. I sooooo loved Rugby.

pbbth
12-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Am I the only one who remembers A Merry Mirthworm Christmas?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0176987/#comment

cantara
12-12-2006, 11:27 AM
A Cosmic Christmas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Cosmic_Christmas)

It is about 3 aliens (I equated them with the wisemen) who come down to find out about this 'Christmas' thing...

I recall watching it a couple times as a youngster, but never see it show up in the TV guide. It appears to be obscure at best. It doesn't look like it has ever been released for purchase. My memories of almost 30 years ago suggest that it was 'interesting'. Maybe that is why it isn't available.