PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica 3.11 - "The Eye of Jupiter" (spoilers)

Cervaise
12-15-2006, 05:53 PM
All of this has had spoilers before, and all of this will have spoilers again.

Spoiler policy:

If it's aired, or if it's purely speculation, no need for a spoiler box. If it's from a future episode as revealed by interviews, web content, or kamala-induced clairvoyance, then hide it in a spoiler box, and provide a generally descriptive label so we can decide for ourselves whether or not it's something we want to know.

Okay. Here we go. The midpoint finale, which, if last season is any indication, should feature some major developments. And based on the preview, that should certainly be the case:

- the quest for Earth is front and center

- Adama is nose to nose with D'Anna

- Cavil is using Baltar as a bargaining chip

- a thermonuclear exchange is threatened

That sounds pretty significant to me.

I know the last couple of episodes have been a little shaky for a lot of people, for a variety of reasons, but wasn't that true in season two, also? On first viewing, "Final Cut" and "Flight of the Phoenix" were considered rather minor installments (though it must be said the latter has improved a lot in retrospect), and then "Pegasus" arrived and blew us all away. Not that we should raise our expectations unreasonably for tonight's episode, but, come on: "Nuke the planet." Woot!

After tonight, there'll be a short break, and we resume in January.

9pm on Sci Fi. (And if you missed the previous announcement, the show is moving to a more prominent home, on Sunday nights. Maybe Sci Fi is pissed at the lack of Golden Globe nominations and wants to increase the show's profile. I mean, "Grey's Anatomy" better than BSG? Gimme a break.)

(And yes, I know the schedule change was announced before the Globe nominations. It's a frakking joke, pilgrim.)

(Oh, and incidentally, just to continue the parenthetical commentary, in case anybody's curious, I'm flying out for a long-overdue vacation tonight, which means I won't actually get to see this episode until I return next week. So don't freak out when I don't comment immediately. I mean, because I know you're all waiting to find out what I think of the show, so your own opinions can be validated by my expert analysis. ;))

Oakminster
12-15-2006, 06:32 PM
I was kinda dissappointed last week, but I really liked the boxing episode. It could be that the first couple of episodes of the season were "too big" and made some of the regular filler type episodes seem weaker by comparison.

Hoping for good stuff tonight. I expect we'll learn more about the 5 remaining cyclon models, and get some more about the quest for Earth. From the previews, it looks to me like we'll be dealing with the same planet mentioned in last week's episode. We have reason to believe the Cylons will be there too...wonder if it was as tough on them to get there?

I think the hybrid was talking to Baltar about this planet, and possibly a temple or some such that will be found...almost similar to that whole set up they found with the "Arrow of Apollo". I assume there will be a major change in Baltar's merry little threesome after this episode. There will likely be a cliffhanger, so we may not get much in the way of resolution, but we should have plenty to talk about while waiting for the second half of the season.....

John Mace
12-15-2006, 06:36 PM
I was kinda dissappointed last week, but I really liked the boxing episode. It could be that the first couple of episodes of the season were "too big" and made some of the regular filler type episodes seem weaker by comparison.
Yeah, I thought the boxing episode was excellent. Did little to advance the plot, but great character interaction. And the musical score was spot on!

Lightray
12-15-2006, 08:05 PM
So. This is the fourth habitable planet we'll have seen (Caprica, Kobol, New Caprica, Algae Planet). Anybody think it's possible it won't look amazing like the Vancouver-area of Canada?

carnivorousplant
12-15-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm flying out for a long-overdue vacation tonight, which means I won't actually get to see this episode until I return next week.

Right, when he gets back and mentions that he hasn't seen it yet, everyone remember to ask, "Where you gone, then?"

Sorry, watching Dr. Who with the Missus.

Oakminster
12-15-2006, 09:15 PM
41, 402 survivors. Looks like Moore decided to play with the white balance on the cameras to get an alien look for the outdoor shots. Not a bad choice, but it is a little "glarish" for lack of a better word. He also included at least one outdoor shot with a normal camera, though...stuck out like a sore thumb when we saw lush green foliage after a cutaway.

Looks like D is pissed. Can't say I blame her.

carnivorousplant
12-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Chief finds a temple on the first night of Channukah.
I wonder if there will be enough oil...

Oakminster
12-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Hmmm...so Xenabot snuck a heavy raider down to the planet, but she also planted a seed with Adamo...since she already knew they'd found the Temple, perhaps one of his people on the planet is a toaster.....nice one.

carnivorousplant
12-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Gotta figure out some way to have the base stars hanging about when the sun goes nova...

carnivorousplant
12-15-2006, 10:03 PM
January 21?
Dammit.

Rubystreak
12-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Was Starbuck playing a little David and Bathsheba thing, getting Apollo to send Anders out to defend a position with his civilian milita? Looks like Dualla outplayed them on it, eh?

I have to call bullshit on Starbuck's whole "marriage is a sacrment I can't defile" line. She obviously didn't take it very seriously when she married Anders, knowing she doesn't really love him and had no intention of being faithful. She just doesn't want to be happy, and so no one else will be either.

Drop nukes!

Lightray
12-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Ron Moore needs to step away from the frakkin' lens filters right the Hell now. It was eyestrain-enducing when Helo and Sharon were on Caprica, and now we've got to go through it again on the Algae Planet?

I'm glad that they've finally turned Sam into an actual character, rather than the cardboard cutout he started out as.

Baltar needs to shave, 'cause that Jesus-beard is making James Callis look old. But Caprica's platinum-blond hair turning into a halo of light under the Baseship lighting was kinda cool.

athelas
12-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Let me give a plug for the season two soundtrack. Some really good music there, including the Pegasus finale. Linky (http://www.amazon.com/Battlestar-Galactica-Season-John-Avila/dp/B000FCUYKO/ref=pd_sim_m_2/102-6938461-4027342)

Oakminster
12-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Multiple cliffhanger. Interesting.

1) Why won't Adama nuke the planet?
2) How does Sam avoid being shot?
3) How does Starbuck get rescued?
4) What will Athena do to see her baby?
5) Will Chief realize the artifact is in that symbol on the wall?
6) Will the Temple get blown up?
7) How long will Lee be sleeping on the couch?

Good episode. I like some of the things Moore is doing with the lighting and cameras. Obviously intentional sound merging with the grunts of lifting workers while Starbuck & Lee are sucking face. Liked the closing sequence edits.

Sweaty Callie is hot. Cute little smudge on her face, dark eyes with the bangs and the ponytail. Tighe gets the line of the night--can't quote it, but it was right after Athena outed EvilBoomer. Something about revoking her invitation. This cast rocks hardcore. Really like what I'm seeing from the actors. Even better when I also like the material they're working from.

AtomicDog
12-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Ron Moore needs to step away from the frakkin' lens filters right the Hell now. It was eyestrain-enducing when Helo and Sharon were on Caprica, and now we've got to go through it again on the Algae Planet?

I'm glad that they've finally turned Sam into an actual character, rather than the cardboard cutout he started out as.

Baltar needs to shave, 'cause that Jesus-beard is making James Callis look old. But Caprica's platinum-blond hair turning into a halo of light under the Baseship lighting was kinda cool.

Well, if the star is a pre-supernova, it must be pumping out UV to beat the band. So I'll forgive the lens filters.

On the other hand, why isn't the Away Team (sorry) wearing visors and spf 20,000 sunscreen?

carnivorousplant
12-15-2006, 10:23 PM
Was Starbuck playing a little David and Bathsheba thing, getting Apollo to send Anders out to defend a position with his civilian milita?
I don't think so.

I have to call bullshit on Starbuck's whole "marriage is a sacrment I can't defile" line.

I think both are Ron Moore suggesting, "Wouldn't it be cool if...?"

Drop nukes!
Cool.

In tonight's news...

I'd have shot Baltar the moment he walked onto Galactica.
"Oops! Sorry, I was cleaning my compression phaser rifle, or the Galactican equivalent thereof. Golly, how awfull!"

Oakminster
12-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Not sure where Moore is going with Baltar. He looks like Jesus, acts like Judas, and gets laid like Ron Jeremy. He really wants to be a Cylon...if he's not, I suspect he'll go insane in a highly entertaining manner.

Lightray
12-15-2006, 10:35 PM
I think both are Ron Moore suggesting, "Wouldn't it be cool if...?"
Nonsense.

Starbuck has been depicted as being very religious from early on in the series. That's partly how Roslyn convinced her to go against Adama and steal her hopped-up Raider to get the Arrow of Apollo. There are all kinds of people in the real world who are capable of cheating on their spouses, but won't get divorced because that would be a sin. Yes, such people are frakked up; so is Starbuck.

Apollo has been depicted as always striving to Do The Right Thing, and very often failing achieve that goal. I'd point to "Black Market" for examples, but I know that people like to pretend that's not a real episode of BSG. He wants Kara; we've know this since the mini-series. He's also uncomfortable about lying to people, hence his dilemma with Dee.

I feel kind of sorry for Dee and Sam -- but there's a smidgen of 'maybe it's payback' feelings with Dee (after she cheated on Billy to get Apollo), and I really just can't understand people like Sam who're willing doormats to spouses they know are cheating.

Really, everyone in this love quadrangle are kind of unsympathetic at various times because of it.

AndyPolley
12-15-2006, 10:45 PM
I have to call bullshit on Starbuck's whole "marriage is a sacrment I can't defile" line. She obviously didn't take it very seriously when she married Anders, knowing she doesn't really love him and had no intention of being faithful. She just doesn't want to be happy, and so no one else will be either.

I don't think it's so much her wanting to be unhappy as much as it is Starbuck doesn't know how to have a meaningful relationship. I think when she looks at Lee, she sees Zak. When that happens, any and all excuses to sabotage the prospect of a real relationship are on the table. She doesn't take the 'sacrament' of marriage as seriously as she takes the idea of not making a commitment to Lee.

Shouldn't there be a bit less than 41, 402 since the Rag-tag fleet lost 3 ships and their (skeleton) crews?

Loved the Chief being the one who found the temple. His childhood desecrations of the family prayer room was pretty funny. So now he's a believer? Does it matter because he's about to get nuked?

I guess Athena is gonna give Roz a piece of her mind. I like that Adama went straight to the fighting Agathons the moment he learned that Hera was alive. I wonder if the Adama/Roslyn rift is now unfixable?

I also enjoyed hard-working, sweaty Cali. :D

Rubystreak
12-15-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't think it's so much her wanting to be unhappy as much as it is Starbuck doesn't know how to have a meaningful relationship.

OK, she doesn't give a damn if her actions make other people unhappy. All Anders ever did "wrong" was love her. He deserves better. Of the 4 of them, he's the only one who generates sympathy in me, even though he is being a pathetic doormat. I think he actually DOES take the sacrament seriously, despite her cheating. Poor bastard.

She doesn't take the 'sacrament' of marriage as seriously as she takes the idea of not making a commitment to Lee.

I think she take seriously sabotaging her own happiness. It goes beyond and predates Zak. That was just insult to injury for a damaged person. I'm not saying I don't like the character-- it's a testament to Katee Sackhoff's acting and the writing of the show that I can still like her as much as I do, despite the fact that she's a miserable bitch a lot of the time.

I wonder if the Adama/Roslyn rift is now unfixable?

I doubt it.

I wonder if the Caprica/Baltar rift is now unfixable?

elmwood
12-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Chief finds a temple on the first night of Channukah.
I wonder if there will be enough oil...

L'chaim! You win the thread!

(insert now-gone Orthodox Jewish man smiley here)

levdrakon
12-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Great ep. I want to marry Chief Tyrol.

Back tomorrow.

Oakminster
12-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Tighe's line: Well you just lost your visiting privileges.
Classic.

Bambi Hassenpfeffer
12-15-2006, 11:28 PM
"The less that man speaks, the better this will go."

Heh. Also, damn them for another beautifully set cliffhanger.

alphaboi867
12-15-2006, 11:44 PM
The Temple of Five has got to be connected with the final 5 Cylons. The name's to big a coincidence. Did RDM explain why he chose to use Jupiter instead of Zeus on the podcast?

Oslo Ostragoth
12-15-2006, 11:55 PM
41, 402 survivors.41,420 last week. They're dropping like flies.

carnivorousplant
12-16-2006, 12:04 AM
L'chaim! You win the thread!

My life is complete.

Lee calls his Mother.
Lee: Ma! How are you?
Mrs. Adama: I haven't eaten for thirty-two days.
Lee : Ma! What's the matter? Are you sick?
Mrs. Adama: In case you called, I didn't want my mouth to be full.

Tangent
12-16-2006, 03:49 AM
Ok, this has probably been discussed here before, but I'm confused about the Cylon humanoid model count. Supposedly, there are twelve models. We have known for a while of seven models: Six, D'anna, Sharon, Leoben, Cavil, Doral, and Simon. They have been talking about the 'Five' that we haven't yet seen. So where does the Pre-Cog (aka 'The Lady In The Water') fit in? Why doesn't she count?

Merijeek
12-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Ok, this has probably been discussed here before, but I'm confused about the Cylon humanoid model count. Supposedly, there are twelve models. We have known for a while of seven models: Six, D'anna, Sharon, Leoben, Cavil, Doral, and Simon. They have been talking about the 'Five' that we haven't yet seen. So where does the Pre-Cog (aka 'The Lady In The Water') fit in? Why doesn't she count?

She's basically a meat-brain for the Basestar and that's it. I guess since she's not mobile she's not "really" one of them.

Mostly, though, because someone explicitly stated it. :)

When did we lose our rabbi smiley?

-Joe

levdrakon
12-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Ok, this has probably been discussed here before, but I'm confused about the Cylon humanoid model count. Supposedly, there are twelve models. We have known for a while of seven models: Six, D'anna, Sharon, Leoben, Cavil, Doral, and Simon. They have been talking about the 'Five' that we haven't yet seen. So where does the Pre-Cog (aka 'The Lady In The Water') fit in? Why doesn't she count?Beats me. Raiders and Centurions don't count as models either so I guess if you're not one of the humanoid models with voting rights you don't count.

At the beginning of the show during the "previously on" portion they flash-backed to the scene with the pilots sharing their crackers & food wafers, etc; and someone remarked, "I thought our food supply was inexhaustible?" I don't remember that from last week. Interesting though.

carnivorousplant
12-16-2006, 10:12 AM
When did we lose our rabbi smiley?
I believe one of the Mods found it offensive or potentially offensive to others. :(

ElvisL1ves
12-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Was that newly-introduced bridge officer really named Hoshi???
Anybody think it's possible it won't look amazing like the Vancouver-area of Canada?That rock formation is in Monument Valley, isn't it?

muldoonthief
12-16-2006, 12:19 PM
I think my favorite scene was when Adama asked Roslyn about Sharon's baby, and she admits that she ordered Cottle to tell Sharon and Helo the baby died, but actually hid it away from them. Adama doesn't say a word or even wait for her explanation, just turns on his heel, marches out of the room, and apologizes to Helo and Sharon. There's a few betrayals of trust that will take some time to repair.

Has anyone on the show noticed the coincidence between the "Temple of Five" and "Five missing Cylon models"? I don't remember anyone mentioning it. I'm surprised Xenabot and Baltar haven't noticed it yet.

MilTan
12-16-2006, 01:19 PM
He really wants to be a Cylon...if he's not, I suspect he'll go insane in a highly entertaining manner.

As far as I can tell, he's been going insane in a highly entertaining manner for the last two and a half seasons :)

msmith537
12-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Let me give a plug for the season two soundtrack. Some really good music there, including the Pegasus finale. Linky (http://www.amazon.com/Battlestar-Galactica-Season-John-Avila/dp/B000FCUYKO/ref=pd_sim_m_2/102-6938461-4027342)

I always thought the soundtrack sounded like a mix of Japanese Taiko drums and what I call "Black Hawk Down" music.

The Al-bot had the smartest ideas:
"We're machines. What do we care if it takes 5000 years to find Earth? Let's just blow up the Galactica and screw the Eye of Jupiter."

Also:
"I'm improvising...trying to sweeten the pot a bit."

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Lee and Starbuck fighter pilots? What the heck do they know of ground combat any more than Sanders?

Oakminster
12-16-2006, 04:43 PM
I would assume the curriculum at "Battlestar Academy" includes instruction on basic infantry tactics.

Turek
12-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Was that newly-introduced bridge officer really named Hoshi???
That rock formation is in Monument Valley, isn't it?

Yes, there was a Hoshi in the credits.

I don't think it was shot in Monument Valley. MV is flat except for the outcroppings, which rise like ... well, like monuments. Plus, it's considered sacred ground by the American Indian tribes that own the land. I don't know that they'd allow a large production like BSG to film there.

It looked more like Big Bend to me. I wanted to see if they'd mentioned where they were filmed in the credits, but it was so squashed so SciFi could pimp some up-coming show as to be illegible. I'm hoping they'll mention it in the podcast.

MacTech
12-16-2006, 05:23 PM
I forgot how much i frakkin' hate cliffhanger endings, way to retain your audience, Ron Moore, *I* can't wait for next season

great cliffhanger ending, Adama is moments away from nuking the planet, normally in any other Sci-Fi show this'd be nothing more than a tension building excersise, because there's no way in Hades that the lead character would ever nuke the planet, BSG, OTOH, is dark enough to pull it off

i once again pit whoever puts together the "Next week on BSG" previews, once again, they *SPOILER* one of the questions this episode leaves open, re;
Is Starbuck dead, what happened when she took a Toaster missle up her six (no, not *that* Six, geez, get your minds out of the gutter...), it shows her back on board Galactica, unscathed

Ron, time to fire your preview editor(s), they're frakking up your cliffhangers again

ElvisL1ves
12-16-2006, 07:29 PM
I don't think it was shot in Monument Valley..I don't know that they'd allow a large production like BSG to film there.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Valley#The_Valley_in_media]That would be a change[/quote]. Looked like stock footage, anyway. But I'm sure I've seen that formation in a number of other movies.

MacTech, I'm not sure that needs a spoiler - I mean, was there ever any doubt?

alphaboi867
12-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Who here doesn't think Blanders will end up dying trying to rescue Starbuck? Also they find a mythical temple that has be lost for 4 millenia and may contain clues to the location of Earth and Tyrol is the best expert they put on the ground :dubious: ! There isn't a retired archeologist or ancient history proffesor in the entire fleet? Kinda odd considering how many vacationing cruise ship passengers survided the attack. They weren't expecting the Cylons to show up. Lucky for the civies much easier to jump away from Algae Planer than to jump to it. :rolleyes:

ElvisL1ves
12-16-2006, 08:10 PM
There wasn't time to send anybody else down even if they had somebody. The basestars jumped right after Tyrol was drawn to it, for reasons he can't explain, and without which the humans would have had no idea. Maybe Tyrol has some latent prophet in him, awaiting awakening, like Roslin?

BooBoo316
12-16-2006, 08:54 PM
They weren't expecting the Cylons to show up. Lucky for the civies much easier to jump away from Algae Planer than to jump to it. :rolleyes:

I remember them saying something like: "Tell the fleet to jump to the emergency coordinates". I would think this means the ships have a "Oh, shit" location they can jump to with little notice in case of Cylon suprise.

alphaboi867
12-16-2006, 09:00 PM
... Maybe Tyrol has some latent prophet in him, awaiting awakening, like Roslin?

Speaking of prophecy, is RDM ever going to revist whole "dying leader leading them to Earth" thing? Roslin is now cured of her breast cancer. Could Adama be the dying leader? If he had cancer he'd likely put off telling people as long as possible and work until no longer possible. As an atheist he'd have a much harder time accepting his gods-annointed role that Rosling did (though I got the impression she wasn't very religious before the visions). Also given Tigh's command history he'd start grooming Lee to succeed him (restoring him to commander in the process).

MacTech
12-16-2006, 09:13 PM
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Valley#The_Valley_in_media]That would be a change. Looked like stock footage, anyway. But I'm sure I've seen that formation in a number of other movies.

MacTech, I'm not sure that needs a spoiler - I mean, was there ever any doubt?[/QUOTE]
True, us longtime fans know better, still it is bad form to spoil the next ep with a preview..

Just Ed
12-16-2006, 10:00 PM
I remember them saying something like: "Tell the fleet to jump to the emergency coordinates". I would think this means the ships have a "Oh, shit" location they can jump to with little notice in case of Cylon suprise.Yes, but they couldn't jump to the algae planet without making two jumps through the hellish radiation storm from last week's episode. This bothered me, too, unless it's something about their FTL drive with which I'm unfamiliar: has it been established that they can more easily set their jump coordinates for some place they've already been without having to go through multiple stops to get there? That is, once they've been somewhere, the coordinates to back where they came from can be pre-set and executed without a middle stop? I can't think of any other way they could have simply jumped away from the planet without frying the fleet in the middle of that radiation.

athelas
12-16-2006, 10:06 PM
I think that maybe it was very hard to properly calculate a jump to the planet, what with the radiation and all. But for emergency coordinates, all you really need is for everyone to end up at the same place.

Oakminster
12-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Maybe they jumped to what would be the far side of the planet from the direction they came from last week?

I'd be more worried about why the Cylons haven't jumped in another half a dozen basestars and started shooting. They've had plenty of time to call in reinforcements--which are always a good thing. The Cylon model was absolutely right...Cylons have forever to find Earth, but right now they have a great chance to eliminate Gallatica.

alphaboi867
12-16-2006, 10:28 PM
...I'd be more worried about why the Cylons haven't jumped in another half a dozen basestars and started shooting. They've had plenty of time to call in reinforcements--which are always a good thing. The Cylon model was absolutely right...Cylons have forever to find Earth, but right now they have a great chance to eliminate Gallatica.

Does the entire Cylon empire support finding Earth or just a splinter group? Could it only be a small faction that occupied New Caprica and is now chasing the Fleet?

Just Ed
12-16-2006, 10:30 PM
I think that maybe it was very hard to properly calculate a jump to the planet, what with the radiation and all. But for emergency coordinates, all you really need is for everyone to end up at the same place.Right, that's kind of what I was thinking. But that opens up another can of worms about last week's episode. If all they need is to have the proper coordinates once they arrive somewhere, then all they needed to do last week was have one raptor jump through the radiation to the planet, calculate the coordinates, then jump back and give the coordinates to the rest of the fleet. Then they all could have made a single jump from the far side of the radiation to planet orbit. Hell, if that's all it takes, why couldn't Athena simply have given the coordinates to the fleet once she found the planet? (Because then they couldn't have made that episode, I know.) If they can jump from planet orbit to a known set of emergency coordinates bypassing the radiation, they should be able to just as easily jump to planet orbit from a known set of coordinates while bypassing the radiation.

Oakminster, I'm not sure I'd consider the far side of the planet a sufficient "emergency" coordinate with four basestars just on the other side. And yeah, it makes more sense for the Cylons to simply destroy Galactica now, but my feeling is there's more of a schism within the Cylon population regarding the total annihilation of humanity.

Gods, I'm starting to overthink the nitpicks in this show. I still do think it's a damn good television series.

ElvisL1ves
12-16-2006, 10:43 PM
I think there's just a small task force assigned to tracking the humans to see if they can find other Cylon-inhabitable planets. The Cylons now already have Kobol and New Caprica to settle on, not just the Twelve Colony worlds now occupying most of their resources (there was a comment by Three to that effect). They may/will get the Algae Planet too, and Earth would be nice to have for even more lebensraum. That's Cylon Command / Imperious Leader's concept of it anyway, ISTM.

The meatbags assigned to the task force might have been chosen for their eagerness for the mission, which might be due to their religiosity, which is defined essentially in contrast to the humans' fascinating religion more than by its own standards. I suspect too that there are some who have a religious notion of establishing a utopian society where both species can live in service to God, after of course the pagan heathen humans have been converted to the One True Monotheism. But their faith also includes a realization of their imperfect understanding, even to the point of listening to Tub Girl's babblings for insight.

The hybrid baby plays a role in that cult - what, now that she's sick, her full load of Magic Hybrid Baby Cures-Everything Blood notwithstanding. The search for the 13th Colony fits into that too - why, there's a whole planet of humans available for salvation there.

Or they could just be sadists, taking their time, of which they have plenty, to torture the humans a little before completing the ethnic cleansing operation, maybe doing some ethnographic studies of the lesser, doomed race just for academic purposes.

BooBoo316
12-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Regarding the emergency jump, I thought the food planet was on the other side of the star cluster, not surrounded by it. My understanding was that they couldnt go around the cluster because of the size of it, once they were through it they could carry on as usual.

Just Ed
12-17-2006, 12:07 AM
Regarding the emergency jump, I thought the food planet was on the other side of the star cluster, not surrounded by it. My understanding was that they couldnt go around the cluster because of the size of it, once they were through it they could carry on as usual.Hmm. You're right, they had mentioned it was too big to go around last week. Maybe that's one nit we no longer need to pick.

In general, I thought this episode set up a very intriguing story, with Ron Moore's traditional cliffhanger. (As an aside, this is the first cliffhanger I'm experiencing in real time, having caught up with the show just prior to the start of this season via DVD. The wait is gonna suck.)

BooBoo316
12-17-2006, 12:36 AM
The cliffhanger is rough, but at least we only have to wait a month for the resolution. What was it, three months before we got the rest of the Pegasus story? It was funny, the people I was watching with all said "Arrggg!" at the same time when the "To be continued" came up on the screen. Closure, damn it, I need closure.

Improv Geek
12-17-2006, 12:51 AM
So did I miss the background about Tyrol's family in some previous episode? The way they present it seems like they touched on it somewhere previously, if I had to guess it would be somewhere within the Arrow of Athena arc but I don't recall it.

And how come no one mentions the "I used to dance around naked holding porn mags" line!?

-- IG

Lightray
12-17-2006, 01:46 AM
MacTech, I'm not sure that needs a spoiler - I mean, was there ever any doubt?
Speculative spoilers follow:
Katee Sackhoff has mentioned that she's not showing up in this season after episode ~14 or so. Moore has mentioned that things have gotten too "safe" and that they're planning to kill off someone important this season. Personally, I think they're just taking the piss on fans, but there's rabid speculation that this means that Starbuck buys the farm before the season's end.

Who here doesn't think Blanders will end up dying trying to rescue Starbuck? Also they find a mythical temple that has be lost for 4 millenia and may contain clues to the location of Earth and Tyrol is the best expert they put on the ground :dubious: ! There isn't a retired archeologist or ancient history proffesor in the entire fleet?
I don't think Sam will end up dying. That would essentially free Kara from her vow that she won't break, which would make the whole dilemma they've just put Kara and Lee into rather pointless. They'll drag out the angst for a few more episodes, yet.

Also, they didn't have time to get anyone else down to the planet before the Cylons jumped in-system -- they were just talking to Tyrol about the discovery when the Baseships popped in. Tyrol is the best expert on the ground because he's about the only one on the ground who hasn't been drafted by Lee's defense (and dirty Kally) -- he's needed in the Temple to set up the blow-it-up charges, so he may as well try to figure it out while he's there doing that.

levdrakon
12-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Was that newly-introduced bridge officer really named Hoshi???That was funny, wasn't it? Seems he was introduced on the Pegasus but is now filling in some sort of Dualla/Gaeta position. Does he speak 647 languages? I must know more about this person.

Lumpy
12-17-2006, 06:38 PM
Didn't Adama tell Baltar that they only had five nukes left? Though on second thought that was before they met Pegasus, so maybe Pegasus had more and they split the arsenal evenly between the two battlestars.

Poor Boomer. Not only was her life as a human yanked out from under her, not only did her efforts to influence the Cylon on humanity's behalf come to naught, but to add insult to injuy, her place has been taken by a doppleganger. If I'd written the series, I wouldn't have split the Sharon character into Boomer/Athena; I'd have had Boomer get pregnant by the Chief, have her rescue the party stranded on Kobol, and then continue the role now served by Athena.

Poor Baltar; he never was really worse than a selfish, immature person who still retained a lot of likeable qualities; and yet one step at a time he's marching down the highway to Hell.

carnivorousplant
12-17-2006, 06:57 PM
one step at a time he's marching down the highway to Hell.

I would say he's running flat out, screaming for the others to wait for him. :)

Lightray
12-17-2006, 07:26 PM
That was funny, wasn't it? Seems he was introduced on the Pegasus but is now filling in some sort of Dualla/Gaeta position. Does he speak 647 languages? I must know more about this person.
I'll be very annoyed if they flesh out this Hoshi's character when I'm still waiting for them to throw a bone to the poor guy who plays Capt. Kelly...

msmith537
12-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Poor Boomer. Not only was her life as a human yanked out from under her, not only did her efforts to influence the Cylon on humanity's behalf come to naught, but to add insult to injuy, her place has been taken by a doppleganger.

Yeah...that looked pretty awkward.

Asgardking
12-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Poor Baltar; he never was really worse than a selfish, immature person who still retained a lot of likeable qualities; and yet one step at a time he's marching down the highway to Hell.

Poor Baltar? The man threesomes with Six and Xenabot.

I'd probably betray the human race for a bit of that. :p

Merijeek
12-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Does the entire Cylon empire support finding Earth or just a splinter group? Could it only be a small faction that occupied New Caprica and is now chasing the Fleet?

Maybe they're all that's left?

Before the war the Cylons built up enough to take out the Colonies, and they did it quite successfully.

Now they're engaged in something else that takes up their resources. They wouldn't be the first group to win a war in the battlefield and lose it in the peace that follows.

-Joe

Baron Greenback
12-18-2006, 08:53 AM
One of the remaining Cylons revealed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRN1gpPHZXU) .

/silly video

Cervaise
12-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Okay, I'm back from vacation and have gotten caught up on the TiVo.Was that newly-introduced bridge officer really named Hoshi???According to IMDB, Hoshi was introduced in "Pegasus" and has popped up every now and then ever since. Unlike the Trek version, this character, more appropriately for the name, is male.That rock formation is in Monument Valley, isn't it?According to a behind-the-scenes feature on the official website, this shooting location is near Kamloops in British Columbia.At the beginning of the show during the "previously on" portion they flash-backed to the scene with the pilots sharing their crackers & food wafers, etc; and someone remarked, "I thought our food supply was inexhaustible?" I don't remember that from last week. Interesting though.They've occasionally monkeyed with the recaps a bit. At the top of "The Captain's Hand," we got a line from Adama to Tigh about how he was going to put Garner in charge of Pegasus, which was cut from a prior episode and not seen prior to the recap but which now became necessary to identify the battlestar's new commander. Also, in many recaps showing the scene of Boomer getting shot in the corridor Jack Ruby style, they added a voiceover, "Cally shot Boomer!" that wasn't in the original episode, apparently to make it more clearly expository. I know there's at least one more, but I can't recall the specifics at the moment.

Okay. Thoughts on the episode:

Good. Not great, though. Lots of plot, lots of forward movement (or at least establishing hooks on which forward movement will be hung), lots of stuff that reassures us they're not losing track of the overall storyline or any of the ongoing threads they've been developing up to this point. I really liked the few minutes from Boomer telling Athena about Hera through Adama confronting Roslin and then going to apologize to Athena and Helo. Nice little arc.

Still, I can't help feeling that the episode was a little... I don't know, flat somehow. Like the characters weren't as rich and compelling and unpredictable as they usually are, or like the dialogue was a bit too on-the-nose, or something. Maybe it's just me, but I might just be over-sensitive to the writer of this installment, who previously gave us "Black Market" and "Collaborators" and other episodes that felt to me like they should have been better than they were. At this point, when I see his name in the credits, I prickle a bit, and I start to notice the flaws and even more significantly the overall approach to the storytelling, certainly to a greater degree than I do when the script is by one of the other writers on the staff.

I'll need to watch the episode again to come up with specific examples; nothing's coming to mind right now. But we've got a month before the show resumes, so there'll be lots of time and opportunity for revisiting material in the ramp-up.

Oh, and I read a MASSIVE, MAJOR spoiler rumor for the next handful of shows, one that demands discussion. I'll save it for a separate thread, though.

Happy holidays, y'all.

John Mace
12-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Why do they call the pre-cogs (lady in the water) hybrids? What are they hybrids of?

carnivorousplant
12-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Oh, and I read a MASSIVE, MAJOR spoiler rumor for the next handful of shows, one that demands discussion. I'll save it for a separate thread, though.

Dude, out with it, or we're gonna beat you up and steal your lunch money.

BTW, were you gone?