PDA

View Full Version : Twisted Sister's "O Come All Ye Faithful"

ultrafilter
12-16-2006, 11:53 AM
I don't think Christmas music gets much better than this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De47fjH6RKY). Happy holidays, and stay metal.

Rysdad
12-16-2006, 12:28 PM
I've never seen that before, and I love it.

Nothing says Christmas like Dee Snyder.

ElvisL1ves
12-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Another album for the Missus' Xmas collection.

Thanks, and rock on!

pulykamell
12-16-2006, 12:39 PM
That was at least 17 kinds of awesome. I counted.

Harmonized leads, whammy bar dives, and I do believe I heard a cowbell!

\m/

pendgwen
12-16-2006, 01:28 PM
They were on Leno a couple days ago pushing the new CD. What made it really surreal was that Dakota Fanning had been the first guest of the show. So after the performance when Jay and the other guests come over to chat there's sweet little Dakota shaking hands and chatting with Dee Snyder in full costume. Hilarious.

pulykamell
12-16-2006, 01:29 PM
I just watched it again, and never realized how similar the melodies to "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" and "We're Not Gonna to Take It" are. Of course, they sneak in the actualy "We're Not Gonna Take It" riff into the solo, and the drum opening is pretty much identical in both songs.

RogueRacer
12-16-2006, 01:35 PM
The rest of the Twisted Christmas CD is based on more of their songs and songs by other bands like AC/DC and Judas Priest.

psycat90
12-16-2006, 02:14 PM
I've been digging on it for the past few days.

Totally awesome.

I'm going to see them live next Friday and you can bet your bottom that I can't wait. :-)

Rhythmdvl
12-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Whoa... that was simultaneously awesome and disturbing. Fantastic!

Rhythm,
whose first concert was Twisted Sister opening for Dio.

Otto
12-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Man, that chick singing lead is busted! What's her name? Dee?

At last, something to get my brother for Christmas. Off to Amazon!

Otto - Twisted Commando, Michigan Division, 1986

Walter Windchill
12-16-2006, 04:00 PM
File it under "half-assed novelty albums turned out for a quick buck." It's better than Pat Boone's metal album, anyway.

Otto
12-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Well at least it doesn't thumb its nose at science, Captain Bringdown.

Walter Windchill
12-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Is one only permitted to give uncritical rave reviews of items under discussion in Cafe S? In that case, Twisted Sister has stood the test of time, continued to put out quality product, their Christmas release is sure to become a classic of the genre, and Mr. Synder looks excellent in that get-up.

Rhiannon8404
12-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Is one only permitted to give uncritical rave reviews of items under discussion in Cafe S? In that case, Twisted Sister has stood the test of time, continued to put out quality product, their Christmas release is sure to become a classic of the genre, and Mr. Synder looks excellent in that get-up.<snicker>

But I thought it was fun to watch!

PunditLisa
12-16-2006, 06:37 PM
That was certainly, um, irreverent. That chick was totally channeling Tawny Kitaen.

Squink
12-16-2006, 07:38 PM
It's nice to hear that belted out by someone who actually sings, instead of smarming it up like that version I heard in the grocery store today. Still, would it have killed them to class it up with verse or two in latin (Adeste fidelis, laeti triumphantes Venite, venite in Bethlehem) like Bing Crosby used to?
The Hava Nagila ending was sweet!

ultrafilter
12-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Still, would it have killed them to class it up....

You're complaining that *Twisted Sister* isn't classing it up?

hawksgirl
12-16-2006, 07:48 PM
You're complaining that *Twisted Sister* isn't classing it up?
Really! You can't get more class than that!

Squink
12-16-2006, 08:51 PM
It just would've felt a little twistier to me in Latin.

NinetyWt
12-17-2006, 02:50 AM
It's nice to hear that belted out by someone who actually sings No doubt. That's the clearest tenor I've heard in ages.

jackelope
12-17-2006, 03:45 AM
Is one only permitted to give uncritical rave reviews of items under discussion in Cafe S?Of course not! Criticize away!

Disagreement is only allowed to go one step, though: If someone gives a less-than-adulating opinion, that person is immediately endowed with full immunity from subsequent chastisement of any kind, and is entitled--nay, required--to get all snippy if anyone subsequently questions them in any way.

"Captain Bringdown." Heh.

ElvisL1ves
12-17-2006, 09:45 AM
I hadn't realized how similar this tune is to "We're Not Gonna Take It" until this.

Walter Windchill
12-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Of course not! Criticize away!

Disagreement is only allowed to go one step, though: If someone gives a less-than-adulating opinion, that person is immediately endowed with full immunity from subsequent chastisement of any kind, and is entitled--nay, required--to get all snippy if anyone subsequently questions them in any way.

"Captain Bringdown." Heh.

I reacted in good humor, not snippiness.

Lissa
12-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Bitchin'! This is going into my Christmas rotation. I haven't heard such a great new Christmas carol since "Christmas in Sarajavo".

Moirai
12-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Jeez, Dee Snyder can really sing. I never noticed before.

That was one hell of a power carol!

Otto
12-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Y'all, it's Snider. No Y.

Quasimodem
12-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Ending was cool (where she finds the guitar pick and throws herself on the big guy).

Thans for the clip.

Q

Campion
12-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Oh, dear. This may need to be added to the Christmas dinner playlist for the parents....

I saw Dee Snider at the airport a few weeks back. Almost didn't recognize him out of character (in fact, didn't recognize him until he was pointed out to me).

Edward The Head
12-17-2006, 07:42 PM
I don't think Christmas music gets much better than this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De47fjH6RKY). Happy holidays, and stay metal.

I didn't know about this album until a couple of weeks ago, I went out and got it right away. It's ok, though the best song might be the 12 days of Metal. But I think only a true metal head would think it's funny, my wife thinks it's dumb. You planning on going to the show in Baltimore? I hadn't seen the video yet.

Mister Rik
12-17-2006, 08:26 PM
I loved the look on the woman's face right after she found the guitar pick. She's damn hot, too. Any idea who she is?

Anyway, that was freakin' awesome. I don't think I've laughed so hard in ages! This is what rock & roll is all about: having fun. Can you imagine one of the current metal bands doing something like this? Of course not. They're all too busy taking themselves seriously.

Swallowed My Cellphone
12-17-2006, 08:50 PM
I hadn't realized how similar this tune is to "We're Not Gonna Take It" until this.
I think it's in the same key.

I Googled the lyrics and was able to sing "We're Not Gonna Take It" along with the background music. Granted, I confused the hell out of myself doing so and my head nearly exploded.

Guinastasia
12-17-2006, 09:49 PM
That kicked ASS!

ultrafilter
12-17-2006, 09:58 PM
You planning on going to the show in Baltimore?

Nah, I'm finding it harder and harder to justify taking the time to go to a concert these days, and while I like Twisted Sister, they're not the ones who'll motivate me to go.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
12-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Saw this on Goldmine's website (http://www.goldminemag.com/Default.aspx?tabid=825&articleid=4765&articlemid=4972#4972Articles):
After much consideration, 30 years in the business and four years of reunion shows, we came to the conclusion this is our final year. We sat around and said “What can we do that will definitely kill our career so there’s no coming back?” And (guitarist) Jay Jay French said, “I know! Let’s do a Christmas album.” And we said, “Oh man, that’s gonna go over like a lead balloon.” And it looks like it might be (an unintended hit like) “Springtime for Hitler” in the movie “The Producers.”

ArrMatey!
12-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Havah Nagila at the end TOTALLY rocked! Not sure I'll get the album, but I will say for the record (no pun intended) that they were the first band I actually 'followed', in a musical sense (ie- saved up to buy more than one album of).

Lissa
12-19-2006, 12:28 AM
I've had sort of a soft sport for Dee Snider since his congressional testimony when he stood up to Al Gore.

RogueRacer
12-19-2006, 11:38 AM
I've had sort of a soft sport for Dee Snider since his congressional testimony when he stood up to Al Gore.I believe this was the same time that I learned to like John Denver, since he stood up for the rockers. It was also near the beginning of my unending hatred of Tipper.

Lissa
12-19-2006, 11:41 AM
I believe this was the same time that I learned to like John Denver, since he stood up for the rockers. It was also near the beginning of my unending hatred of Tipper.

Denver's testimony is a great read. Too bad it kept him from going on a shuttle mission.

ZipperJJ
12-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Man I love Dee Snider. He's so...inappropriate.

Nice find!

RogueRacer
12-20-2006, 04:35 PM
No doubt. That's the clearest tenor I've heard in ages.I just heard this song on the radio again. Dee's voice has definitely held up better than some of the other singer's of his era (Vince Neil, I'm looking at you).

Lissa
12-20-2006, 05:11 PM
I just heard this song on the radio again. Dee's voice has definitely held up better than some of the other singer's of his era (Vince Neil, I'm looking at you).

He said in his congressional testimony that he didn't smoke. That probably has a lot to do with it.

OneCentStamp
12-20-2006, 05:38 PM
I believe this was the same time that I learned to like John Denver, since he stood up for the rockers. It was also near the beginning of my unending hatred of Tipper.
The Three Biggest Mistakes The PMRC And Committee Made:
1) assuming that mild-mannered, wholesome John Denver would support censorship that was extremely unlikely to ever affect his own work
2) assuming that Dee Snider was a monosyllabic mouthbreather
3) letting Frank Zappa, arguably the smartest rock star ever, within 100 miles of their hearings

Mister Rik
12-20-2006, 05:44 PM
He said in his congressional testimony that he didn't smoke. That probably has a lot to do with it.
That, and I believe he had vocal training in his youth, which taught him to sing correctly so that he didn't thrash his vocal cords.

Other metal singers who have held up well include Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson, also both non-smokers, though I don't believe that either had voice training.

Quasimodem
12-20-2006, 06:02 PM
My "Smart-Rocker Respectometer" needle is moving, y'all:

Gene Simmons ............................... Dee Snider

Simmons is good at self-promotion, but Snider's been before Congress and is a non-smoker. This, to me, indicates an awareness beyond that of making a buck.

Right now the meter's pulling Snider's way.

This post isn't to limit y'all to making a choice between these two, it's just me stating an opinion, and I am sure there are other music celebrities you may thin more deserving of an accolade.

Harry Chapin comes to mind......

Q

ultrafilter
12-20-2006, 07:09 PM
The Three Biggest Mistakes The PMRC And Committee Made:
1) assuming that mild-mannered, wholesome John Denver would support censorship that was extremely unlikely to ever affect his own work
2) assuming that Dee Snider was a monosyllabic mouthbreather
3) letting Frank Zappa, arguably the smartest rock star ever, within 100 miles of their hearings

Not that any of these stopped them from getting their way.

Mister Rik
12-20-2006, 07:46 PM
I am sure there are other music celebrities you may think more deserving of an accolade.
Neil Peart (Rush drummer/lyricist) would probably have done well speaking before Congress, but since he's Canadian I don't think they would have been interested in hearing from him.

Moirai
12-20-2006, 08:57 PM
I think Simmons is a very, very bright guy. Articulate, sane and pretty well-educated IIRC. But I will now put Snider up there with him.

Henry Rollins is quite smart, as well.

Guinastasia
12-20-2006, 11:12 PM
I've never been a big fan of Twisted Sister's music, but I do love me some Dee Snider interviews. He always has something interesting to say.

I remember an episode of "Where are they now?" that had Jay French on, and he was saying about how his daughter saw a picture of him when he was in the band and she was like, "Daddy, you look really stupid!" And then he said, "Well, maybe, but Daddy dressing stupid enables you to be able to go to school." She replied, "I hate school, Daddy!"

And what about how Dee Snider's son asked him if he was a "fag" and Snider replied, "No, Daddy was a transvestite."

OneCentStamp
12-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Not that any of these stopped them from getting their way.
Sure, they won the battle, but they continue to lose the war. The stickers became a badge of honor, the PMRC became a punchline, and 15 years later, rock music is smuttier and more violent than ever. Whoo-hoo! :p

Valgard
12-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Sure, they won the battle, but they continue to lose the war. The stickers became a badge of honor, the PMRC became a punchline, and 15 years later, rock music is smuttier and more violent than ever. Whoo-hoo! :p

Whenever I think PMRC I fire up Anthrax's "Starting Up A Posse" which was their little ditty in response to the whole mess. Gives me a giggle every time.

OneCentStamp
12-21-2006, 07:17 AM
Neil Peart (Rush drummer/lyricist) would probably have done well speaking before Congress, but since he's Canadian I don't think they would have been interested in hearing from him.
I dunno, man. He might have started out OK before Congress, but as soon as he veered off into the maples wanting more sunshine, oaks ignoring pleas, etc., the hearings would have been effectively over.

Edward The Head
12-21-2006, 08:01 AM
To the best of my knowledge Snider doesn't smoke, drink or do drugs. He's also been married to the same woman for the last twenty years or so. I've seen him twice solo, once he and his band drove from New York to Maryland in a nasty ice storm and he still played. I can't wait to see them tonight.

Lissa
12-21-2006, 11:41 AM
I can't wait to see them tonight.

Cheer extra-loud for me, okay?

congodwarf
12-21-2006, 03:21 PM
My mom has been complaining for weeks. She claims that none of the stores in her area (and none of the radio stations) will play "true" Christmas music because they're afraid to offend those non-religious types. As one of those non-religious types, I have a hard time believing the playlists could be so different on two sides of the same state. In my area, all the songs are about Christmas, Christ, Jesus, God, mangers, Bethlehem, etc......

So, I just sent her a link to this. I didn't warn her as to who was singing.

She's gonna kill me. :D

Mister Rik
12-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I do find it interesting that the local country music station is playing nothing but songs about Santa Claus, snow, and chestnuts, while a heavy metal band is singing about Christ. Go figure.

Nava
12-22-2006, 03:48 AM
Having finally been able to listen to it and identify it as Adeste Fideles, I can now proudly say that the main differences between Twisted Sister's version and the way it's normally sung in my parish are:

* We sing it in either Spanish or Latin,
* Dee wears as much makeup as my whole congregation,
* and our guitars aren't plugged in.

What's the point of singin' if y'aint loud, as one of the priests likes to say.

Edward The Head
12-22-2006, 08:34 AM
All I have to say is if you get a chace to see this show, go. They played for almost two hours and Dee still has it. He has to be one of the top showmen in rock. And Lissa I got in a couple of good loud yells just for you.

Lissa
12-22-2006, 10:30 AM
All I have to say is if you get a chace to see this show, go. They played for almost two hours and Dee still has it. He has to be one of the top showmen in rock. And Lissa I got in a couple of good loud yells just for you.

You know, it consistently amazes me how great performers (such as Dee and Mick Jagger) can play the same song for the ten millionth time and still have enthusiasm. They're either people who really enjoy what they do or they're awesome actors.

Otto
12-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Oh dear. Just got back from the post office and the parentals have sent me a copy of the CD for Christmas. Hope they didn't get one for my brother too, since so far that's the only thing I've gotten him.

NoCoolUserName
12-23-2006, 02:13 AM
...What's the point of singin' if y'aint loud, as one of the priests likes to say.Yeah! That's what I'm talkin' about!!!

As you were. :)

psycat90
12-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Saw them last night at the Starland. Dee is indeed awesome, and dare I say, hot.

He was looking pretty buff. They definitely put on a great show.
I really had a blast. I might have even done an air guitar move or two. Maybe even some fist/devil horn in the air action. Maybe.

Marlitharn
12-23-2006, 03:39 PM
I caught part of this song on the radio the other day, but this is the first time I've heard the entire thing.

And now I'm TOTALLY in the Christmas mood! Thanks!

joyfool
12-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Oh dear. Just got back from the post office and the parentals have sent me a copy of the CD for Christmas. Hope they didn't get one for my brother too, since so far that's the only thing I've gotten him.

Otto your parents sincerely kick ass. If you'd ever like to loan 'em out to those of us less fortunate, please keep me in mind for first on the list. :)

And now I'm off to eBay to put a little TS in Xmas. Does anyone think that Dee would fit into a stocking?

Otto
12-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Otto your parents sincerely kick ass. If you'd ever like to loan 'em out to those of us less fortunate, please keep me in mind for first on the list.
Yeah, well, you wouldn't say that if you had to try and figure out another gift for your brother on December 23. Still, having heard of it there was no way we weren't each getting it. Back in '86 I won an MTV contest, the prize for which was a trip to England for the kick-off concert for TS's tour in support of "Come Out and Play" plus an after-party with the band. I took my brother. One winner from each state and a guest. The catch was we were "Twisted Commandos" invading England, so we all had to dress up like Dee Snider for the entire trip. A hundred Americans wandering the streets of London in tacky wigs. Best trip ever.