PDA

View Full Version : Favorite products which have mysteriously vanished from store shelves

Pages : [1] 2

John DiFool
02-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Anyone else get annoyed when a favorite product disappears from the shelves of
your local stores and you can't find it anywhere anymore?

1. Apple Newtons. I've grown to loathe the original Fig Newtons, but the apple kind
were like a sort of godsend. Haven't seen them in several years.

2. A certain brand of Salon conditioner which had what was (for me) an almost-perfect
mix of ingredients: Jojoba oil, milk protein, aloe. Salon redid their product line several
months ago and this particular item no longer was in their line of conditioners.

3. Haagen Daas (sp.) had this delicious mix of sorbet and frozen yogurt-sinfully
delicious. I think I found a carton when I visited my mom in Ohio last year-in Florida
haven't seen it in about half a dozen years or so.

FairyChatMom
02-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Lavoris. It's my husband's favorite mouthwash, but you can't get it around here, and while you can order it on line, by the time you add shipping, it comes to $10 per bottle or something inane like that.

We did order some in bulk with free shipping, so he's good for a while, but it was so much easier when I could grab a bottle for him while I was doing my regular shopping.

Really Not All That Bright
02-19-2007, 11:41 AM
3. Haagen Daas (sp.) had this delicious mix of sorbet and frozen yogurt-sinfully
delicious. I think I found a carton when I visited my mom in Ohio last year-in Florida
haven't seen it in about half a dozen years or so.
Readily available at your neighborhood Publix in at least ten flavors.

An Arky
02-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Frosted Grape Pop Tarts

Robot Arm
02-19-2007, 12:04 PM
An Arky, I haven't seen frosted cherry Pop-Tarts in a box-of-six at a grocery store for years, but I have found them in a snack-size two-pack at gas station mini markets. Try there.

John DiFool, I can't help with an Apple Newton, but I could send you an apple from Newton. And the cookie is named for the town.

Least Original User Name Ever
02-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Crystal Pepsi.

Yes, I'm still bitter.

Autumn Almanac
02-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Vanilla Coke. :( I realize that the sales didn't meet Coca-Cola's blockbuster expectations, but I refuse to believe that it couldn't be at least as profitable as Mountain Dew Live Wire or Coke with Lime or any number of other niche/spinoff sodas that continue to be sold.

Charger
02-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Vanilla Coke. :( I realize that the sales didn't meet Coca-Cola's blockbuster expectations, but I refuse to believe that it couldn't be at least as profitable as Mountain Dew Live Wire or Coke with Lime or any number of other niche/spinoff sodas that continue to be sold.
I agree! I loved this stuff! My brother had some leftover cans of it when I visited and it was so good. They gave us Black Cherry Vanilla, but I want just plain ol' Vanilla Coke.

02-19-2007, 12:26 PM
I agree! I loved this stuff! My brother had some leftover cans of it when I visited and it was so good. They gave us Black Cherry Vanilla, but I want just plain ol' Vanilla Coke.

I'm in, too. Vanilla Coke is gooooooooooood. What gets me is how Pepsi did the same thing with the vanilla-y goodness, and they stopped making theirs (I think). That's saying that Pepsi AND Coke misread the market for vanilla-y goodness? What, are their research departments being run by chimps?

Khadaji
02-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Crystal Pepsi.

Yes, I'm still bitter.
I had only had it once or twice, but remember liking it.

Zeldar
02-19-2007, 12:30 PM
They may still be around in some specialty shops or available online, but it's truly rare to spot Clove, Teaberry or Beeman's gum on the racks at most stores.

Long Boy Kraut candy was good a long time ago and I rarely, if ever, see it around.

Now that Kroger can keep track of what we're buying, by way of the Kroger Plus Card, I get the feeling they monitor stuff I buy regularly and then discontinue it. Seriously, they just stopped carrying any number of products I used to get on a regular basis. The products may still be produced and available elsewhere, but they tend to vanish from Kroger if I'm too good a consumer.

I guess I'm a negative focus group of one. Kiss of death, more like.

Nutty Bunny
02-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Lean Cuisine Potstickers. I was eating them at least once a week for lunch and I haven't seen any in about a year. Not at Target, Walmart, Hannaford or Price Chopper.

When they started disappearing and I found the rare store that did carry them, I stocked up on them, but I don't see them anywhere now. Dang, they were tasty!

Dewey Finn
02-19-2007, 12:36 PM
My family used to buy Peek Frean Rich Tea cookies to dip in and eat with tea. But Kraft (the parent company) stopped selling that variety a few years ago. (By the way, do any Canadians know if this variety is still sold in Canada?) My sister-in-law bought up a couple of cases of them from the Christmas Tree Shop when they were on sale after being discontinued, but that supply is long gone. We've been experimenting with other brands of tea cookies, like McVittie's from the UK, but none are the same and the imported tea cookies are expensive.

(And that wasn't the first time we've bought a discontinued product by the case. My father still shaves with a mug and shaving brush, and when Old Spice discontinued his favorite shaving soap, he bought a case of it directly from the manufacturer.)

Annie-Xmas
02-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Eddy's Apple Cinnamon Sorbet.
Celetial Seasonings Apple Cider Mix.

BoBettie
02-19-2007, 01:16 PM
The original (from the 80's) Carnation instant breakfast bars. Dry and crunchy, chocolatey and yummy. Gone.

Antigen
02-19-2007, 01:16 PM
I forget which brand, but there was this ice cream that was mandarin orange with dark chocolate swirls. It was beyond awesome. And two months after I discovered it, it disappeared.

romansperson
02-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Lay's Bistro Gourmet Applewood BBQ & Smoked Cheddar Potato Chips. So good, but so gone.

Dewey Finn
02-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Another one I thought of. There's an ice cream treat called Klondike that's about four inches square and about 1 1/2 inches thick. I think it's sold in packages of six. It's OK, but I remember another product called Polar Bar that looked almost identical, but was much better.

dwc1970
02-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Nabisco Doo-Dads. They were like a ready-made prepackaged Chex party mix. I could devour these all day.
Betty Crocker "Bowl Appetit", an instant microwaveable pasta dish. I thought I'd never see these again as they aren't in Albertsons or Wal-Mart, but I recently found them on the shelves at Walgreen's. Hooray!
Add me to the list of people who mourn the disappearance of Vanilla Coke.

I'll use this opportunity to invite everyone to check out my thread Supermarket items you miss (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=325021&highlight=supermarket) from some time back. Just don't post to it since it has long since become zombified.

Little Nemo
02-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Grape pop-tarts has already been mentioned.

And ginger Altoids are almost impossible to find.

Count Blucher
02-19-2007, 01:33 PM
*Lay's Caribean Style BBQ chips. They were far too good for mortal man.

*Kellogs Special K, plus protein edition. Its prescribed by my nutritionist, but the Shopright & Pathmark by me don't carry it anymore. Whenever I see it anywhere else, I buy out the shelf.

*Lockes/Kilbeggan Irish whiskey. Lightyears ahead of Bushmills or Jameson; better than Powers (and that says something). Almost worth the airfare, if the b-stids at customs would let you bring more than 2 bottles back. *grrrrrr*

Labtrash
02-19-2007, 01:36 PM
These are probably because I've moved down South from Massachusetts, but I really miss Cain's mayonnaise and Habitant Split Pea soup (This is actually from Campbell's of Canada).

Green Cymbeline
02-19-2007, 01:44 PM
I miss Kellogg's Honey Crunch Corn Flakes (http://www.kelloggs.ca/cgi-bin/klog-canada/product.pl?product=3249&company=2). I haven't seen them in stores for a couple of years. The linked page is for Kellog's Canada, so maybe they just sell them there now.

Lean Cuisine Potstickers. I was eating them at least once a week for lunch and I haven't seen any in about a year. Not at Target, Walmart, Hannaford or Price Chopper.

When they started disappearing and I found the rare store that did carry them, I stocked up on them, but I don't see them anywhere now. Dang, they were tasty!Oh yes I used to love this Lean Cuisine too. I haven't seen them lately but didn't realize they were gone for good. They still have them on the LC web site though: Asian-Style Pot Stickers (http://www.leancuisine.com/Products/Details.aspx?ProductID=53)

Also, I love these Crest toothpastes, but I can rarely find them in most grocery stores and drug stores: Crest Plus Scope Minty Fresh Liquid Gel (http://www.crest.com/products/liquidGels.jsp) and Cavity Protection Cool Mint Gel. (http://www.crest.com/products/cavityAdults.jsp) I will see the white Scope liquid toothpaste and the paste version of the "cavity protection" toothpaste, but never see the mint gel versions!! I just don't understand it.

Ellen Cherry
02-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Just a couple years ago, Quaker Oats introduced this yummy oatmeal bar. I don't remember the name of it, but they now have something called Breakfast Squares (or maybe it's Oatmeal to Go?), which is vile by comparison. They weren't a snack bar, or granola-bar type thingie -- more of a Bowl of Oatmeal Replacer. ;) Anyway, I loved them, ate way too many of them, and mourn their demise.

Also, I haven't seen Vidal Sasson shampoo on sale for a long time. I used to love it, and have wanted to go back to it. Can't find it.

TommyTutone
02-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Heluva Good Clam Dip - I mean, they used to make it and I think they still do, but every store in the south carries only French Onion and Bacon and Horseradish. I haven't even HAD dip in ten years, but I would break that rule in a heartbeat for some yummy clam goodness.

Similarly, Humpty Dumpy Sour Cream n' Clam Potato Chips used to be a favorite of mine growing up in Maine. Having long left the state, I discovered that I was able to buy them (and their similarly awesome BBQ) online by the case. Unfortunately I ordered only one case of each before they got bought out by the damn French Canadians. Now this flavor has been discontinued, their website is never updated, and you cannot even order their stuff in reasonable quantities online anymore. :(

Harmonious Discord
02-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Yes it annoys me, because I always like the taste of the flavor that makes it as a product line, but dies in a year. I go to the shelves and find 5 flavors, just not mine, and the website tells you they are dropped. I had to not make at least 3 different Christmas dishes this year, because a main ingredient wasn't made any longer.

Hershey's soft carmels

Mrs Grass onion and mushroom soup mix - I used it in a lot of stuff.

Betty Crocker Ranch potatoes and the bacon an cheese ones.

Many I can't think of off the top of my head.

SpazCat
02-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Licorice Altoids. I had them once and then they disappeared.

Flutterby
02-19-2007, 02:29 PM
China Lily Soy Sauce - I had heard a few years ago that people were having problems finding it, but I never couldn't find it and then I heard that everything was running again. Now I can't find it anywhere, but I'm not hearing that from others.

Mitchell's Honey of a Garlic sausage - Safeway suddenly stopped carrying it, and it's not at any store I can get to. Don't know what happened to it.

Peanut Satay sauce - can't seem to find it anywhere. At least not the one I liked (I forget the brand) I bought one bottle and then it disappeared. Now the only one I can find is a version that tastes like stale peanut butter and nothing else.

tbdi
02-19-2007, 02:35 PM
The original (from the 80's) Carnation instant breakfast bars. Dry and crunchy, chocolatey and yummy. Gone.

Yep, I remember when they changed them from good to inedible.

For me it's Eclipse Coffee Syrup which I lost when I moved away from New England and was then bought out by Autocrat and changed in a way that made it much inferior to the original.

Taters
02-19-2007, 02:38 PM
The two products I can think of off the top of my head are:

Old Bay Seasoning and this Hickory seasoning stuff. I cannot find it anywhere around here. I do not know why.

I can probably order on-line, but it seems ridiculous to pay that much for it.

LVgeogeek
02-19-2007, 02:47 PM

Yes!!! My husband and I were lamenting the unavailability of these just the other day. :(

Licorice Altoids

Trader Joes markets carry these.

Old Bay Seasoning
I just bought a big tin of it the other day at the grocery store.

Maybe I can hook you guys up :D

Nutty Bunny
02-19-2007, 03:16 PM
I just remembered another one. About 8 or 9 years ago, I was using a shampoo called Real Shiny Hair and it smelled like an orange creamcicle. I haven't seen it in about 8 years.

Oh yes I used to love this Lean Cuisine too. I haven't seen them lately but didn't realize they were gone for good. They still have them on the LC web site though: Asian-Style Pot Stickers (http://www.leancuisine.com/Products/Details.aspx?ProductID=53)

I don't know that they are gone forever, but I know that none of the stores in my area are carrying them anymore. I should ask a manager at the stores.

rucciface
02-19-2007, 03:31 PM
LifeSavers Swirl Pops were my favorite candy until they vanished. And my whole family loved Blue Bell's "Chocolate Almond Marshmallow" ice cream, but I guess it got to be too expensive to make and was pulled from production.

MadTheSwine
02-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Texas Gunpowder,made from ground jalapenos.

SpazCat
02-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Trader Joes markets carry these.

We ain't got your fancy trendy supermarkets down heyar.

Tupug Anachi
02-19-2007, 03:43 PM
St. Ives Whipped Silk body lotion. I loved the stuff. It was lighter weight than their regular lotions. I believe they quit making it.

Shirley Ujest
02-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Clove, Teaberry or Beeman's gum Can be found in the impulse-check out lines at Meijer. If that helps.

I, too, rarely see Licorice Altoids. When I do, I buy the entire case. They are most excellent in subduing a cough if you let them dissolve in your mouth. (natural licorice, not the red candy stickie things, is a natural cough suppressant.)

I haven't seen the Ginger Altoids in a while, but they were excellent for dealing with a barfy stomach situation I had two years ago.

While we are on Altoids, have you seen the new Dark Chocolate Dipped Cinnamons and Peppermint(?). I wuvs the cinammons.

Things I have a hard time finding Plain pop tarts. I don't want the frosting. It is now down to maybe strawberry or one other berry kind.

Shirley Ujest
02-19-2007, 03:53 PM
This isn't a supermarket thing and it could be just a regional thing:Towne Club Soda

God, I miss going in there with a twenty four pack of empty bottles in the case and picking out 24 new and exciting flavors.

Whatever happened to Towne Club Soda?

matt_mcl
02-19-2007, 04:11 PM
For a dismal period a year or two ago I found myself completely unable to locate any metric graph paper (5 mm). I love this stuff for my various weird interests and was distraught at being unable to find any. When I finally did find some I bought ten notebooks.

saoirse
02-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Tropicana used to have dragonfruit juice in those "Twister" mixes. I would buy it for my kids when they were younger, and they would polish off the bottle in 10 minutes. I started buying three, then five at a time. I really liked it, too. So did a lot of other people— they were always out of it at the grocery store. Then all of a sudden, it just stopped getting restocked, and the gap on the shelves was filled with some other brand. It was a lot like the ribwich on The Simpsons.

Queen Bruin
02-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Mudd brand mud mask. Why I can't find it any more, I have no clue.

Also nearly impossible for me to find ginger Altoids, although Target has them on occasion. I have yet to find chocolate covered ginger or cinnamon Altoids although the peppermint ones are in abundant supply.

badbadrubberpiggy
02-19-2007, 04:46 PM
While we are on Altoids, have you seen the new Dark Chocolate Dipped Cinnamons and Peppermint(?). I wuvs the cinammons.

They make the chocolate covered ones in ginger, too! I think liquorice are the most elusive of all altoid flavors.

I used to be ablet to find this shampoo & conditioner called Mane & Tail. It came in giant bottles, was cheap, and gave my hair amazing body & shine. I know it's still made, but I can never find it.

hawksgirl
02-19-2007, 04:57 PM
They make the chocolate covered ones in ginger, too! I think liquorice are the most elusive of all altoid flavors.

I used to be ablet to find this shampoo & conditioner called Mane & Tail. It came in giant bottles, was cheap, and gave my hair amazing body & shine. I know it's still made, but I can never find it.
Try pet stores or feed stores. I think it was originally intended for horses, so those places would be my best guess.

freckafree
02-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Before the fine folks at Healthy Choice decided they had to retool their ice cream line to mimic Ben and Jerry's, they had this WONDERFUL raspberry chocolate truffle flavor -- raspberry ice cream with little dark chocolate mini-cordials filled with raspberry goo. Damn, that stuff was good!

Harmonious Discord
02-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Night Spice cologne

Fizzers like smarties. Not fizzers that were a hasrd candy with a center that foamed when saliva got inside.

A wine cooler that was different from other ones when they firt came out. The name was something like Weise and you could get them in a 12 oz can. Many places prohibit glass bottles.

Ludovic
02-19-2007, 05:20 PM
For a dismal period a year or two ago I found myself completely unable to locate any metric graph paper (5 mm). I love this stuff for my various weird interests and was distraught at being unable to find any. When I finally did find some I bought ten notebooks.I haven't looked in a good decade, but for nearly 25 years I haven't seen any books of hex paper. When I noticed it was hard to find, I made my own hex paper when necessary, so I have over half of my original notebook left! (What can you say, I don't make hex-based outdoor maps too much.)

ASAKMOTSD
02-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Now that Kroger can keep track of what we're buying, by way of the Kroger Plus Card, I get the feeling they monitor stuff I buy regularly and then discontinue it. Seriously, they just stopped carrying any number of products I used to get on a regular basis. The products may still be produced and available elsewhere, but they tend to vanish from Kroger if I'm too good a consumer.

That sounds exactly like what happens with my wife. Kroger has regularly discontinued the products she likes. She tries really hard to like Kroger, but gets REALLY irritated when they discontinue things like shampoo or baking supplies that she regularly uses.

02-19-2007, 05:56 PM
This isn't a supermarket thing and it could be just a regional thing:Towne Club Soda

God, I miss going in there with a twenty four pack of empty bottles in the case and picking out 24 new and exciting flavors.

Whatever happened to Towne Club Soda?

Um, darlin'? Where's your region?

Omega Glory
02-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Tom of Maine's fennel toothpaste. It was their best kind imo.

kayT
02-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Seven Seas Creamy Italian Salad Dressing is gone. I used to buy in CA then it was only available by begging my mom in Illinois to mail me some, and now it is gone, gone gone ... discontinued. Sigh. It was the best.

Voyager
02-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Excellent thread!

1. The old style Tostitos chips. They totally revamped their line. The rounds are marginally acceptable for nachos, but not as good as the bigger chips in days of yore.

2. Red Barons breakfast pizzas. The same size as the individual pizzas that came two to box, but for breakfast. Gone. :(

3. (Maybe just regional.) Hamburger Relish - the kind that's redder than what I get in California. I need to look when I go to DC this week.

gigi
02-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Haagen-Dazs Extraas Cappucino Commotion--ice cream of the gods

rowrrbazzle
02-19-2007, 06:36 PM
I drink cocoa daily. I use cocoa powder rather than the mixes because the slightly greater time and effort involved helps to limit my consumption.

I settled on Hershey's Dutch Processed Cocoa because I didn't like the taste of regular cocoa, which tastes a bit fruity to me.

It came in a container that had brown lettering on a silver background.

They replaced it with Hershey's Special Dark Dutch Processed Cocoa. Container with gold lettering on a brown background. A stronger taste, but I adjusted.

They've just replaced that with a "blend" of Dutch Processed Cocoa and regular cocoa. This is apparently to get in on the bandwagon of the supposed health benefits of the flavonoids in regular cocoa. Dutching destroys them, and I guess they're among the things that give regular cocoa a fruity taste.

1. This new "blend" has that fruity taste.

2. The new container is the same as the previous Special Dark except that the lettering is gray. I didn't notice this until I got the container home.

3. If I were interested in health benefits, I probably would be drinking something else.

Now I have to use this new stuff or pay more for a premium product. Mutter mutter mumble mumble.

Lynn Bodoni
02-19-2007, 07:12 PM
The original Prell conditioner. This stuff was cheap, did a good job, and rinsed out easily. I've tried other conditioners, but all of them have only one or two of these qualities.

YELLOW corn tortilla chips. I don't want white, or red, or blue tortilla chips. I want YELLOW corn in them. I think yellow corn tastes the best.

Tootsie pop drops. These were Tootsie pops, without the stick. I also like the mini Tootsie pops, but they seem to only be produced for Halloween.

Semi-hijack...I used to love deviled ham when I was younger. Now, however, it tastes incredibly fatty and peppery. Did it change, or did I?

Fionn
02-19-2007, 07:37 PM
I miss C2. I keep trying Coke Zero in the hopes it will eventually have the real Coke taste everyone says it does, but so far it just tastes like nothing.

racer72
02-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Another one I thought of. There's an ice cream treat called Klondike that's about four inches square and about 1 1/2 inches thick. I think it's sold in packages of six. It's OK, but I remember another product called Polar Bar that looked almost identical, but was much better.

There still available here in the Northwest. They also have a light version that's not too bad.

I miss Paul Newman's steak sauce. Had a nice flavor without being overpowering like A-1. It went from all the stores to one small chain to gone. Newman's website still shows it being made, I just can't find it.

KarlGrenze
02-19-2007, 07:46 PM

Klondike Bars? THey're still sold at my school's cafeteria... so I guess I could find them in some supermarket around here in Louisiana...

Only Mostly Dead
02-19-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm curious where you're located, because these are quite easy to find in any local food store for me. Amusingly, the company's website has a store locator (http://www.icecreamusa.com/products/product.cfm?u=75856-00110&b=3), if you enter your zip code. Assuming you're in the US, and there's anything within 20 miles or so, you're welcome.

Taters, as I understand it, Old Bay is a mid-Atlantic regional thing. Around Baltimore (where it's made), it's a common ingredient. I think we have a giant tin and a small shaker for the table in our kitchen.

(A Regional Foods (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=249628&highlight=regional+food) thread from 2004, in which I praise Old Bay in the second post to the thread, among other Maryland/mid-Atlantic foods)

Tenar
02-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Team Flakes cereal.

LilyoftheValley
02-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Trader Joe's must bring back my Portuguese Sweet Muffins!!! ::sob::

Also, from my childhood, Hostess Chocodiles and SkyBar.

SkyBar is weird in that it doesn't taste all that good, but all the kids felt compelled to buy it anyway. Maybe something about getting multiple flavors made you feel you were getting more for your money?

thirdwarning
02-19-2007, 08:12 PM
Salada tea. The thing that really makes this frustrating is that I finally got to the point where I could justify spending a little more for it, rather than always buying the store brand. And two months later it was gone, never to be seen again.

And the stuff had been around since I was a little girl. I'd been waiting that long!

Dewey Finn
02-19-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm curious where you're located, because these are quite easy to find in any local food store for me. Amusingly, the company's website has a store locator (http://www.icecreamusa.com/products/product.cfm?u=75856-00110&b=3), if you enter your zip code. Assuming you're in the US, and there's anything within 20 miles or so, you're welcome.
I don't want to buy a Klondike bar. I want to get a Polar Bar, which may have been a ripoff of the Klondike bar, but tasted better.

Only Mostly Dead
02-19-2007, 08:19 PM
I don't want to buy a Klondike bar. I want to get a Polar Bar, which may have been a ripoff of the Klondike bar, but tasted better.
Ah, misread your post. If it helps, I really don't like Klondike bars either.

NajaNivea
02-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Word. :(

NajaNivea
02-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Licorice Altoids. I had them once and then they disappeared.
I've seen these here! I've even bought them, didn't like them, and gave them away. Want me to send you some?

Tamryne
02-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Cock and Bull Ginger beer. I lamented its passing in a thread a few years ago, as it vanished from all the stores I knew sold it.

Kroger supposedly sells it online, in their special order section, but its been backordered for the past 5 weeks. I guess its just a matter of time before they notice and pull it off their website.

Somehow, over the summer, I ran accross a stash of it at a british import store in town! Five 4packs, covered in an inch of dust and hidden behind various other products on the floor. I nearly cried from happiness.

NajaNivea
02-19-2007, 08:34 PM

We must be the promised land for Altoids, I'm hooked on these things and go through a box or so a week. Want me to send you some? ;)

* Nabisco Doo-Dads.
!
I haven't thought of these things in years. My grandma always used to have them around for snacking when we visited. Didn't they have little cheez sticks like linear Cheez-its?

I'm suckling a chocolate dipped ginger Altoid as we speak.
I loves me some Mane & Tail, too. Check at feed stores or your nearest carniceria (or wherever ladies of a hispanical persuasion shop in your area), that's where I always find it.

Quiddity Glomfuster
02-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Salada tea. The thing that really makes this frustrating is that I finally got to the point where I could justify spending a little more for it, rather than always buying the store brand. And two months later it was gone, never to be seen again.

And the stuff had been around since I was a little girl. I'd been waiting that long!
It still exists! There's a bunch of sites for it and I'm sure we have it in the local grocery.

My family used to buy Peek Frean Rich Tea cookies to dip in and eat with tea. But Kraft (the parent company) stopped selling that variety a few years ago. (By the way, do any Canadians know if this variety is still sold in Canada?) My sister-in-law bought up a couple of cases
I'm pretty sure I saw them last week, too.

Dewey Finn
02-19-2007, 08:54 PM
If it's not too much to ask, can you verify that and get back to me, including what the price is? To review, I'm interested in Peek Frean Rich Tea Cookies. This might be worth a trip north.

Morbo
02-19-2007, 08:59 PM
New York Seltzer. Raspberry, Black Cherry, Lemon Lime, and Orange. All gone. :(

Quiddity Glomfuster
02-19-2007, 09:06 PM
If it's not too much to ask, can you verify that and get back to me, including what the price is? To review, I'm interested in Peek Frean Rich Tea Cookies. This might be worth a trip north.

Sure! I just made a note on my shopping list.

Oh - totally forgot to mention my own list of lost products:

Lime Rickey - Used to drink it at Tamblyn's with toasted cinnamon buns

Pineapple Sherbet in Hawaii - fell in love with it my first trip. Used my last change to buy some at the airport before I left. Thought I'd find it in stores at home - no way. Fast forward to a second trip to Hawaii some years later. No pineapple sherbet. Pineapple 'whip', 'ice', heavenonlyknowswhat, but no sherbet. I finally find a shop selling it on Waikiki my last week there - but I was too full to have some that day. We go back the next day to have some. Not only was there no pineapple sherbet but the shop had closed and they were taking out the fixtures! :(

Boots cosmetics.

Most recently, Stouffer's had a fabulous frozen dinner; 'Southwest Chicken'. Tastier than some restaurant meals I've had. Now it's totally and utterly gone - not even any to be purchased via website. It was sooooo good.

According to Pliny
02-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Meat in spaghetti sauce. Now the meat is gone and "meat flavoring" is the best you can hope for

All the main brands had them a couple of years ago.
Ragu Rich & Meaty Mama's Meat Sauce was my favorite
Prego had one as well, and Heinz
I even emailed the brands and got letters saying what stores might carry them, but no luck.
I'm sure they all went out of production, probably for some good reason like short shelf life.

Wile E
02-19-2007, 09:07 PM
To those who miss vanilla coke, I found that adding vanilla vodka to coke gave it a similar taste. :D

Morgyn
02-19-2007, 09:08 PM
The original (from the 80's) Carnation instant breakfast bars. Dry and crunchy, chocolatey and yummy. Gone.Dang. That was the one I came in here to say!

I sure do miss those.

Eva Luna
02-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Pepperidge Farm frozen Boston cream pie (which was a layer cake, not a pie at all). It was the best eaten frozen, in slices, straight out of the freezer - the custard filling was wonderful and icy and custardy. I haven't seen it in years.

KRC
02-19-2007, 09:11 PM
They sell Old Bay in Albuquerque. I just put some in my pea soup.

Do they still make Falstaff beer? I think I was the only one who drank it. It was nasty but cheap.

Savannah
02-19-2007, 09:35 PM
To those who miss vanilla coke, I found that adding vanilla vodka to coke gave it a similar taste. :D

I miss diet vanilla Coke. A lot. And I never liked Coke before that.

However... vanilla vodka? Hmm... I like the sound of that. :)

Qadgop the Mercotan
02-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Loco soda. 4 flavors: lemon-lime, blackberry, mango, and something else I don't remember. Plus capsaicin. That had a lovely kick! I've 4 bottles left. I suppose I should finish them off this year.

Danish Go Rounds. Disgusting but compelling.

Shake a Pudding. Disgusting but chocolate.

And there'd better still be chocolate covered ginger altoid mints out there somewhere!!!!!!

wmulax93
02-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Viennetta ice cream cakes. I haven't seen them in nearly a decade.

Qwisp
02-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Haagen-Dazs Deluxe Carrot Cake Ice Cream. It had all these wonderful chunks of cream cheese frosted cake in it.

Tropicana had a line of soda that was something like orange juice and soda water. I don't remember the name of it but it was so good.

Body on Tap shampoo and conditioner.It had the best smell and left my hair feeling great.

Encore used to make turkey with stuffing in gravy. It was great for a quick cheap meal.

Jaochai
02-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Mocca Fix Gold cofee. Also Spreewald brand pickles. The new ones from Holland just aren't as good.

feppytweed
02-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Include me in the Vanilla Coke group... that stuff was FABULOUS!

Ferret Herder
02-19-2007, 11:00 PM
I can't understand Vanilla Coke fans. I describe the flavor this way to people who've never tasted it: Ever had a Coke float? You know when you get about halfway through it, and the ice cream is heavily melted, and it's lost most of its carbonation? Yeah, that's Vanilla Coke. I didn't even finish the one bottle I tried, and I was jonesing bad for caffeine at that point.

Bridget Burke
02-19-2007, 11:46 PM
LifeSavers Swirl Pops were my favorite candy until they vanished. And my whole family loved Blue Bell's "Chocolate Almond Marshmallow" ice cream, but I guess it got to be too expensive to make and was pulled from production.

Blue Bell doesn't offer every flavor every month. Some are constant, others are "rotational." Chocolate Almond Marshmallow is still on the list--so it will probably show up again.

www.bluebell.com/icecream_flavors.htm

Hey, It's That Guy!
02-19-2007, 11:52 PM
A little bit different: I collect action figures, particularly the 4" tall Justice League Unlimited figures, based on the superhero cartoon. They are cheap ($5 each or $10 for 3-packs), small, easy to display, and look cool in large groupings. Target is the only place that stocks them with any regularity, but it has been impossible to get any of the recently-released characters. I check several Targets a week and have been since early December, and found NOTHING new, even though I know new product has come out in other parts of the country. All I see are a lot of "peg-warming" Superman and Batman figures (they are constantly being repackaged and everyone has them already, collectors and kids alike). The lesser-known characters are probably short-packed and get snapped up by other collectors and scalpers, and it's getting very frustrating. Mattel makes matters worse by shipping cases with a dozen figures: five Superman, five Batman, and one each of the newer characters (the "short-packing" problem). They'll also release 3-packs with two common figures and one new one, forcing collectors to end up with a lot of duplicate figures. And yet, I still hit different Targets as much as I can on quick toy runs, to no avail.

LVgeogeek
02-20-2007, 12:00 AM
The last time I was at a Sally's Beauty Supply they had the Mane and Tail shampoo. I also saw it for sale at a farm and tack (sells horse supplies, work clothes, work boots etc...) store.

bouv
02-20-2007, 12:03 AM
To those who can't find Old Bay: don't look in the spice aisle, look near where the fresh fish is stocked. That's where I find it a lot of the times.

Hey, It's That Guy!
02-20-2007, 12:12 AM
And there'd better still be chocolate covered ginger altoid mints out there somewhere!!!!!!

I just saw those the other day.

Meat in spaghetti sauce. Now the meat is gone and "meat flavoring" is the best you can hope for

All the main brands had them a couple of years ago.
Ragu Rich & Meaty Mama's Meat Sauce was my favorite
Prego had one as well, and Heinz
I even emailed the brands and got letters saying what stores might carry them, but no luck.
I'm sure they all went out of production, probably for some good reason like short shelf life.

I see this a lot too, in the spaghetti sauce section. Ragu makes it. If you want, I could probably ship you a box full -- if you can pay me in advance. (I've done this for Dopers before, without any problems.)

brendon_small
02-20-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm in, too. Vanilla Coke is gooooooooooood. What gets me is how Pepsi did the same thing with the vanilla-y goodness, and they stopped making theirs (I think). That's saying that Pepsi AND Coke misread the market for vanilla-y goodness? What, are their research departments being run by chimps?

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but I wanted to post this before I forgot. Sorry if this was already mentioned. I usually get by with purchasing regular Coke and a bottle of vanilla syrup (like the coffee flavoring stuff). Mix a little in and it's just like old times. It's mostly the only reason I keep buying Coke.

Brendon

Tangent
02-20-2007, 12:51 AM
I haven't seen a Clearly Canadian drink in ten years. It was a sweet "sparkling water" drink. Used to come in a distinctive-looking clear bottle and the color of the drink was always clear, but they had various flavors like cherry, blackberry, grape, and peach.

Lucky 13
02-20-2007, 01:13 AM
Dittoes on the Vanilla Coke and Viennetta cakes.

Stuff I miss from Trader Joe's: Yin Yang peanuts (half wasabi, half ginger), Emeril's spaghetti sauce with vodka, and coffee-flavored soy milk.

congodwarf
02-20-2007, 01:18 AM
For you altoids (http://www.candydirect.com/search.php?keywords=Altoids) freaks. Enjoy. :D

Labtrash, if you send me an e-mail with your address, I'd be pleased to send you some Cains Mayonnaise. If you had said Miracle Whip, I'd be offering to send you a wet noodle with instructions for your lashing.

As for my picks....

Deans French Onion dip. This is the only french onion dip I've ever had which doesn't have those nasty pieces of onion. It is smoooooth. Dip should be smooooth. I haven't seen it in years.

VapoShotz(s?) from Breatheright. Little Alka Seltzer type tablets which dissolved in hot water and then gave off the most concentrated menthol steam I've ever encountered. It isn't even listed on the Breatheright website anymore. Since the stuff ate through the cup designed to contain it, I'm not surprised it no longer exists. But, I've never found anything better for clearing up a sinus headache.

Two products recently removed from my can't find list - Yay! :D

Rolaids fruit chews. I had found them in CVS once and then never again until last year. They were missing for a few years. I have very bad acid reflux. I am now able to live happily without a prescription but I still need the occasional antacid. I'll usually take a Zantac 150 but that doesn't clear up all the irritation. I can't eat Tums. They make me gag. The Rolaids fruit chews have a nasty aftertaste but I can deal with that because there's no chalky texture. I'm so glad I found them again.

And best of all....

Hood Heavenly Hash ice cream. Yum. My favorite ice cream. It has been my favorite ice cream my whole life. I've never seen it served in any restaurant. I had only ever seen it at Stop 'n Shop, Shaws or Big Y. Then, about 6 years ago, it vanished. As I've said recently in another thread, the last few months have been very hard for me. When I was at Big Y last Friday and I found my Heavenly Hash, I was so happy I started crying in the aisle. It was the first pleasant thing to happen to me in a long time and I just couldn't help myself. I was sick that day and was actually buying sherbert but I picked up a half gallon of the Heavenly Hash just in case they got rid of it again. I want to gorge myself and eat the whole thing but I'm lactose intolerant. :(

chaoticbear
02-20-2007, 01:26 AM
Tropicana used to have dragonfruit juice in those "Twister" mixes. I would buy it for my kids when they were younger, and they would polish off the bottle in 10 minutes. I started buying three, then five at a time. I really liked it, too. So did a lot of other people— they were always out of it at the grocery store. Then all of a sudden, it just stopped getting restocked, and the gap on the shelves was filled with some other brand. It was a lot like the ribwich on The Simpsons.

Think smaller, with more legs...

hocow
02-20-2007, 01:29 AM
While I can't think of anything to add to the list at the moment, I would like to note that Pepsi vanilla is readily available around here. At least the diet version is, as I bought some last week.

Anastasaeon
02-20-2007, 01:47 AM
While I can't think of anything to add to the list at the moment, I would like to note that Pepsi vanilla is readily available around here. At least the diet version is, as I bought some last week.

Here, too, as I have a 12 pack in my refrigerator, bought just last night - same 12 pack I buy every week. I got it at Safeway.

congodwarf, funny you should mention Heavenly Hash ice cream - it's been my mother's favourite flavour since I was a wee stump, and still is. However, I can't remember the name of the company who distributed it, but it wasn't Hood, and we were from maritime Canada (which might as well be New England in many retail respects) and ours came in a light brown tub - kind of looked like the Country Crock container, only taller. I remember it having a drawing a woman on the side. Same flavour/ingredients as the Hood kind. Out west, I find the closest flavour I can find to Heavenly Hash is Rocky Road; similar, but more meh.

Just a regional thing, but the thing I miss the most from back home is Ringolos. :(

chowder
02-20-2007, 03:17 AM
We have them in our local supermarket and I can eat a whole one in one sitting, yes I'm a glutton before you ask

I miss Spangles and those Flying Saucer thingies, the ones that had sherbet in a parcel of rice paper

installLSC
02-20-2007, 03:46 AM
This is probably more a regional than national trend, but in Washington State it's impossible to find Crush or Sunkist soda in non-orange flavors. I was a huge fan of Strawberry Crush and Lemonade Sunkist.
A local dairy firm called Wilcox has been putting out chocolate and strawberry milk in 20 oz plastic bottles for a few years now. They taste terrific. Unfortunately, they discontinued orange flavored milk last year. It tasted like a less sweet melted popsicle, and I've looked in vain for it ever since.

Lynn Bodoni
02-20-2007, 03:58 AM
I remembered another one. Pear juice. Not the pear juice in the baby food aisle, which is overpriced, but the stuff in the grownup section. I think that pear juice is more flavorful than apple juice. I even like the white grape/pear juice mixture.

ianzin
02-20-2007, 05:23 AM
Bijan used to make a really nice cologne / after shave. I wore it all the time and often received compliments on it. So of course... they stopped making it and withdrew from the market altogether.

rinni
02-20-2007, 05:25 AM
Just a regional thing, but the thing I miss the most from back home is Ringolos. :(
Oh man, Ringolos are awesome! I miss those too. Oddly enough I never eat regular barbecue chips, but make them in the shape of little rings and I will put one on each finger and gnaw them off happily.

Another thing I miss from back home (east coast Canada) is Farmers Chocolate Milk. That is the best chocolate milk ever, so thick and chocolatey and 2%. Here chocolate milk is light and overly sweet and hardly chocolatey at all, and it's always 1%! I found 2% once and rejoiced and bought it only to find it bland.

Also, I miss Sussex Golden Ginger Ale. It's ginger ale, only it's stronger (it makes you cough if you inhale the fumes), and it's a dark golden colour. So yummy.

Nothing I've mentioned so far has actually been discontinued though, they're just across the country. As far as something that's been discontinued that I miss, I'm going to go with McDonald's pizza. That stuff was awesome. By far the best food McDonald's ever made. I still crave it from time to time and it's probably been almost 10 years since it left me all alone and McDonald's pizza-less!

Ranchoth
02-20-2007, 05:26 AM
"Claim Jumper" brand frozen chocolate cake. I can only hope that it'll come back for the holidays. I hope.

Full-sized California Pizza Kitchen Thai pizzas. The minis are OK, but still...

Lombardi's Cluster Rolls. (A local delicacy). Their bakery still makes them—it's local enough that I was actually able to drive up and ask about them. They're apparently very popular, and I'm able to buy them straight from the supplier (HA!), but I cannot find them ANYWHERE in my county. I only found out they were still being made when my grandmother brought some for thanksgiving one year—she'd got them at a supermarket in Marin. Weird.

"Laguna" brand fruit-cereal bars from Costco. Kinda like generic "NutraGrain" bars, except these actually had a noticable amount of filling.

And I'm still bitter about KFC discontinuing "Chicken Littles." Damnit. :mad:

I loves me some Mane & Tail, too. Check at feed stores or your nearest carniceria (or wherever ladies of a hispanical persuasion shop in your area), that's where I always find it.

Indeed—my sister still uses it, I know. Straight from the local feed store.

Kyla
02-20-2007, 06:37 AM
Ben & Jerry's made a flavor called "Bovinity Divinity" for awhile. Then they stopped. Damn it, why? Who doesn't love vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips in the shape of cow?

Ferret Herder
02-20-2007, 06:53 AM
If you've ever loved a men's cologne/fragrance line at Bath & Body Works, only to see it disappear, it's because my husband enjoyed it. He stopped bothering to check out their products years ago as the size of their men's line dwindled and his favorites disappeared faster than he could keep up.

Seven
02-20-2007, 07:33 AM
Pillsbury Space Food Sticks

lee
02-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Pork Ramen it is beginning to look like I am going to have to go online for it.

I love lemon tea from Bigelow--I now buy it online by the case

Folgers original grind not the blasphemous automatic drip. We have changed the way we go about coffee because this product.

endangered--Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage. The last store that carries it around here is closing soon.

Chantilly cookies from Pepperridge farms. They replaced them with some low fat crap that is not at all nice.

Scribble
02-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Ben & Jerry's made a flavor called "Bovinity Divinity" for awhile. Then they stopped. Damn it, why? Who doesn't love vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips in the shape of cow?

I miss Ben & Jerry's "Wavy Gravy," myself.

Annie-Xmas
02-20-2007, 08:11 AM

They also had "Nutcracker Sweet"--vanilla ice cream with a bunch of different chocolate covered nuts in it. I miss that.

Batsinma Belfry
02-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Carnation made a hot chocolate called Chocolate Meltdown. It was my crack for the short time it was on the market, (about 2 years). Unlike other grocery store brands of hot chocolate mix, it actually tasted like fudgy chocolate. I have since discovered imported drinking chocolate, which is ten times more delicious. But the Carnation was less than $2.00.

Subway Prophet
02-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Ben and Jerry's had an awesome chocolate and orange ice cream. When they stopped carrying it at the store, my wife went into rehab.

gigi
02-20-2007, 09:17 AM
I am still mourning the loss of Ben & Jerry's From Russia with Buzz. (white russian plus Coffee Coffee Buzz Buzz) Cappuccino ice cream, espresso flakes, choco chips...

My friend wrote to express her dismay and they sent her coupons. Cold comfort when there's no From Russia with Buzz to use them on.

badbadrubberpiggy
02-20-2007, 09:21 AM
I haven't seen a Clearly Canadian drink in ten years. It was a sweet "sparkling water" drink. Used to come in a distinctive-looking clear bottle and the color of the drink was always clear, but they had various flavors like cherry, blackberry, grape, and peach.

I've started to see it in grocery stores around here, but before that I hadn't seen it in a long time. I wonder if the company that makes it stopped making it but started again recently?

Carl Corey
02-20-2007, 09:23 AM
The Ben and Jerry's flavor that I miss is Cool Brittania. Vanilla ice cream with strawberries and chocolate-covered shortbread cookies. Delicious.

BobLibDem
02-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Not for me, but for my late grandmother- Sweetheart soap.

Moose Brothers Pizza Must have been a regional thing but they're long gone around here now.

Black Cow and Slo Poke

Wiener Wagons (if you remember this, you probably have an AARP card)

Cooking bags of sliced turkey and gravy. Used to be an easy way to make a hot open faced sandwich.

pizzabrat
02-20-2007, 10:02 AM
1. Apple Newtons. I've grown to loathe the original Fig Newtons, but the apple kind

Ha, I'm glad you cleared that up, because I'm sure plenty of us were thinking of the other Apple Newtons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Newton) that have been long obsolete.

Anyway, they used to sell various berry breakfast syrups at Whole Foods, made from the berry juice concentrate and filled with whole or pieces of berries. Now I can't find anything like that anywhere anymore.

Harmonious Discord
02-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Sandwich meats made with pork. Summer sausage, franks, peperoni, most of it was changed to chicken and now it's turkey and chicken. It doesn't taste the same. I want 100% pork meat. At least they offer 100% beef if you pay a higher price. I wish they would realize they could do the same for the people that like pork.

Harmonious Discord
02-20-2007, 10:50 AM

Moose Brothers Pizza Must have been a regional thing but they're long gone around here now.

Black Cow and Slo Poke

Cooking bags of sliced turkey and gravy. Used to be an easy way to make a hot open faced sandwich.

Moose Brothers Pizza I had some of ita couple times. I always tried to bring home some pizzias on vacation trips. I dumped anything that was left out of the cooler and loaded it with frozen local pizzia brands. I got to eat special food for weeks after getting home.

In Supperior Wisconsin there was a local frozen pizzia that was named I blieve Supperior Pizza. They had some unique pizzas. I remember a saurkraut pizzia, They had a few more local varities. I'm sure they weren't eaten by people farther than 30 miles away.

Surly Chick
02-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Sandwich meats made with pork. Summer sausage, franks, peperoni, most of it was changed to chicken and now it's turkey and chicken. It doesn't taste the same. I want 100% pork meat. At least they offer 100% beef if you pay a higher price. I wish they would realize they could do the same for the people that like pork.

I'm with you! Give me pork bologna - all I can find is chicken/turkey and beef. Crap, all crap!

Ben and Jerry's briefly had a blissfully yummy chocolate ice cream with peanutbutter cookie dough imbedded. And then it was no more. <sob!>

In Chef Boyardee weirdness - I love their meat tortolini and you can't find it anywhere. Once in a while, you can find the inferior cheese tortolini but no meat (not that there's any real meat in the "meat" tortolini...). I'm telling you, I've been looking for this stuff for the last two years all over the US. Then on Friday, I'm at a US military base in Geissen, Germany and they have an ENTIRE shelf of it! I bought 24 cans - on which I purposely did not check the expiration date. Don't ask, don't tell says I.

Count Blucher
02-20-2007, 11:05 AM
A little bit different: I collect action figures, particularly the 4" tall Justice League Unlimited figures, based on the superhero cartoon. They are cheap ($5 each or $10 for 3-packs), small, easy to display, and look cool in large groupings. Target is the only place that stocks them with any regularity, but it has been impossible to get any of the recently-released characters. I check several Targets a week and have been since early December, and found NOTHING new, even though I know new product has come out in other parts of the country. All I see are a lot of "peg-warming" Superman and Batman figures (they are constantly being repackaged and everyone has them already, collectors and kids alike). The lesser-known characters are probably short-packed and get snapped up by other collectors and scalpers, and it's getting very frustrating. Mattel makes matters worse by shipping cases with a dozen figures: five Superman, five Batman, and one each of the newer characters (the "short-packing" problem). They'll also release 3-packs with two common figures and one new one, forcing collectors to end up with a lot of duplicate figures. And yet, I still hit different Targets as much as I can on quick toy runs, to no avail.

I feel your pain. One of my sons 'had' to have 'The Flash' 3-4 years ago. Target never had it. I ended up buying a carton of mixed figures over the internet to get him One 'The Flash'. (Bonus: I got him a Green Lantern and a Wonder Woman w/i the same carton. All of their stands fit together to spell out "Justice League".)

I then had about 20 extra Superman/Batmans in both blue and black shirts. We started giving them away in party favor bags and as secondary gifts at birthday parties for years. Last extra one was given away in Spring of 2006.

Surok
02-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Anyone who wants Vanilla Coke, come on over to Moscow.

We have far too much of the stuff. Maybe we got the shipment meant for the USA?

goldenmean1975
02-20-2007, 11:14 AM
"choco tacos" haven't seen them in a couple of years," Scrub me Tender" sugar scrub by Yardley seems to have been retired

AHoosierMama
02-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Buff Puff singles (little individual pads containing soap for your face)

Crunchers Potato chips (closest thing is Cape Cod which are now my new fave)

Orangina - used to be able to get it at some supermarkets -, but now only at specialty places. Thought it would get better when Coke bought 'em but it got worse.

Lowilla - sensitive skin face bar soap

Callard & Bowser toffee

Green Goddess salad dressing

Mr. Phipps pretzel crackers

Herbal Essence changed their product line up and now my hair isn't as silky smooth as before :(

InappropriateHumor
02-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Agree shampoo and conditioner. Haven't seen it in years. It smelled fresh and clean, IIRC, and didn't weigh the hair down but still got the job done.

Rice's brick chili.

Watermelon/Cherry Kool-Aid in the little paper packets. The unsweetened kind is a whole lot less expensive, and my little folks really liked it.

Folgers whole bean Columbian Coffee. I know they have some now, but before it was "gourmet" it was about a dollar less expensive and you got a whole pound. Bastards.

There are whole host of other things that I used regularly that were discontinued. It seems I'm always having to adapt to a new product, but I can't remember specifically what they are after a few years of making do.

Annie-Xmas
02-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Ben & Jerry's "Southern Pecan Pie" was the best thing I ever had in my life. When it was discontinued, I cried.

Kebler's Butter Pretzel Twists.

Auntbeast
02-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Bar None- Candy bar, I used to describe it as a chocolate kit-kat. It was made for folks who like their chocolate, chocolate wafer, chocolate coating and a very light smattering of nuts. Very perfect. In my prime, I'd eat 5 a day.

It was sold as the chocolate lovers bar, I believe. Then...they let the heathens get to them. They changed it. They ruined it. Then it was gone.

Now people say "I remember that!" or "I saw those!" and what they remember and what they saw were the tarted up perfect chocolate bar wanna bees. Few yet remember nirvana...

Tristan
02-20-2007, 12:42 PM
*Lockes/Kilbeggan Irish whiskey. Lightyears ahead of Bushmills or Jameson; better than Powers (and that says something). Almost worth the airfare, if the b-stids at customs would let you bring more than 2 bottles back. *grrrrrr*

If you're willing to pay the shipping, there are web sites (http://www.spiritscorner.com/scriptsing/buscar.asp?K=kilbeggan) that handle that sort of thing for you.

cher3
02-20-2007, 01:04 PM
They were only around for a short while, but I had a wicked jones for ranch-flavored Wheat Thins. Probably all for the best, given my lack of willpower.

I also miss being able to find Progresso Tomato Tortellini soup. I don't care for the plain broth and vegetable type, or most canned soups in general, but that one I liked. I haven't seen it since we moved back to CA.

Wee Bairn
02-20-2007, 01:08 PM
I remembered another one. Pear juice. Not the pear juice in the baby food aisle, which is overpriced, but the stuff in the grownup section. I think that pear juice is more flavorful than apple juice. I even like the white grape/pear juice mixture.

The Mexican section of some grocery stores carry 12 oz cans of GOYA Pear nectar/juice.

LilyoftheValley
02-20-2007, 01:10 PM
I also miss being able to find Progresso Tomato Tortellini soup. I don't care for the plain broth and vegetable type, or most canned soups in general, but that one I liked. I haven't seen it since we moved back to CA.

Oooh, now you've reminded me of my soup gripe.

For quite some time, Campbell's made a black bean soup that was excellent. It was the only canned soup MrValley and I could agree on. We probably ate it once a week in the winter. Then one day, out of the blue, it was no more.

Sure, I can make my own in the crockpot, but it's nice to have something in the cabinet for late nights.

Harmonious Discord
02-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Ranch Wheat Thins are on the shelves here.

Kruncher's from Jays are on all the shelves here. You spelled you'res with a C so I'm not positive it's the same.

I saw a 16 oz bottle of imported sugar cane Coke in the juice section of a large store recently. It's your's for only $5 a bottle. It was from some republic of the former Soviet Union.

I also prefered tangerine and pineapple juice, but it's all orange and pineapple now.

gotpasswords
02-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Canned Elbow Mac and Cheese. I can't recall if it was Chef Boyardee, or Franco-American, but the can was yellow. It's an entirely different taste and texture than the boxed Kraft stuff.

The Claim Jumper cake is regularly available in the freezer at my neighborhood Safeway.

For Old Bay, it's a bit hit or miss during the year, but they always have a pile of it somewhere at Thanksgiving time.

WhyNot
02-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Hey, I just recommended this in a morning sickness thread: R.W. Knudsen's Organic Pear Juice (http://www.knudsenjuices.com/products/detail.aspx?groupID=9&categoryID=55&flavorID=171&productID=241) available at lots of health food stores. They have a where to buy (http://www.knudsenjuices.com/locate/default.aspx) button on their site. There's also Ceres Pear Juice (http://www.yummy.com/subcategorylist.aspx?dULjrWvNIR4205L6k3aOLGMKt1Xt/3PYT7s2nI2MPL6Qu8DwvVbt4x0nxeBWS87V) available at the same genre of stores, as well as Wild Oats and Whole Paycheck, but I like Knudsen's better.

Bridget Burke
02-20-2007, 02:07 PM
[QUOTE=Harmonious DiscordI saw a 16 oz bottle of imported sugar cane Coke in the juice section of a large store recently. It's your's for only $5 a bottle. It was from some republic of the former Soviet Union.....[/QUOTE]

Here in Houston, 12 oz bottles of Mexican Coke are available all over town. Mexican stores, convenience stores, etc. Usually for just over a dollar.

However, reading the label is necessary; sometimes corn syrup is used. But mostly, pure can sugar is the sweetening.

LilyoftheValley
02-20-2007, 02:11 PM

Pear is a seriously neglected flavor in the US, and I don't know why. Pear ice cream/popsicle treats are standard in Sweden. I like them because they're not so sticky sweet. One poll I read last summer in a Stockholm paper said pear was the second most popular ice cream flavor in the country.

Anastasaeon
02-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Re: Pear juice: I have no problem finding that stuff here on our regular shelves, often right next to the apple juice. I didn't even know the stuff existed (I'm not a big fan of pear flavoured anything), but after I had my gallbladder removed, the nurses recommended that during recovery, I drink lots of pear juice (as well as apple juice). My husband found some, and when I was next able to go shopping, I found it, too. Safeway carries it, for sure, and I still pick some up from time to time for my husband, since he loved it.

Another thing I've noticed missing: The Healing Garden has these lines of "therapy" scented sundries, with candles, room sprays, perfume sprays, lotions, etc. And they still make the scent I like, under "jasminetherapy", however - I can no longer find the little roll-on scent. They have the tiny spray-bottle scent, but it's not the same as the little roll-on. The roll-on jasminetherapy was my very favourite. I've tried the spray, but it's too strong, and smells like alcohol. The roll-on jasmine was such a light, fresh scent, and it lasted all day long - only those who got very near me could smell it, and they always reacted like it was such a pleasant surprise - "Oh! Wow! You smell wonderful! What is that?" But the person standing about a foot away couldn't smell a thing.

~Sigh.~

Jelymag
02-20-2007, 03:11 PM

Oh, yummmyyy.... Yummy yummy yummy. I loved this stuff. And it was just so adorable, how can you help it? I liked it because it was chocolatey enough but not overly so, and it didn't have nuts, which I don't care for in ice cream. However, the Ben & Jerry's flavor Fossil Fuels, which has tiny chocolate DINOSAURS(!) is about as good.

I also miss Mystics (could you not help but love the slogan- "get Mystics, go naked"?) drinks. I saw them somewhere obscure about a year ago, but haven't seen them in wide distribution for about five years. My favorite was the grape strawberry. It was a perfect combination of fruity/tart/sugary.

Sarahfeena
02-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Green Goddess salad dressing You can get Green Goddess through Vermont Country Store's catalog...noticed it in there over the holidays (they have a website, too).

Canned Elbow Mac and Cheese. I can't recall if it was Chef Boyardee, or Franco-American, but the can was yellow. It's an entirely different taste and texture than the boxed Kraft stuff. My husband LOVES this stuff! When it was still available, but with limited distribution, he would buy out the whole stock whenever he saw it. Haven't seen any in a few years, though.

Zyada
02-20-2007, 03:44 PM

Apple Newtons (the cookie, not the PC) were what I thought of when I read the thread title. But I do know what happened to them. Nabisco did a product expansion on the newtons, like a lot of companies have done. After expanding to several fruit flavors, they started a whole line of newtons with some sort of added goo - cream cheese for the strawberry newtons and "caramel" for the apple newtons. When they did that, the grocery stores around here stopped selling the apple newtons in favor of the caramel apple newtons. :mad: Then the whole "goo" line bombed and they have regrouped back to fig, strawberry and raspberry. Annoys the %$#2!!* out of me, because I loved apple newtons and I can't stand any of the other flavors.

Maybe we should start a letter writing campaign?

Annie-Xmas
02-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Glade 3-in-1 Candles. I miss them so, so, so much.

Musicat
02-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Another one I thought of. There's an ice cream treat called Klondike that's about four inches square and about 1 1/2 inches thick. I think it's sold in packages of six. It's OK, but I remember another product called Polar Bar that looked almost identical, but was much better.My local supermarkets carry Klondikes, or at least they did last year before winter set in. What would you do for a Klondike bar?

Colophon
02-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Three or four years ago, chocolate-coated pretzels were launched, with much fanfare. They were absolutely delicious -- the combination of salty pretzel and milk chocolate was heavenly. I can't remember what they were called, but they came in a blue foil bag and they vanished within less than a year.
I miss them.

Hmm. It appears (http://malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070129092950AAYDMYR&show=7) they went by the name of "Pretzel Flipz" (http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=353), which doesn't ring a bell, but the bag looks familiar.

bouv
02-20-2007, 06:01 PM
The old style of Wheatables. The new ones are shite. They changed them to some kind of "honey wheat" style, when before it was all herby and savory and delicious. For a brief while, Wheat Thins made a style called "crispy thins," that were essentially a rip off of the old style of Wheatables, but then they went away too.

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE ELSE LIKE THE OLD WHEATABLES! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

Tangent
02-20-2007, 06:25 PM
If you've ever loved a men's cologne/fragrance line at Bath & Body Works, only to see it disappear, it's because my husband enjoyed it. He stopped bothering to check out their products years ago as the size of their men's line dwindled and his favorites disappeared faster than he could keep up.

The BEST shaving cream I've ever used was a Bath & Body works product that was given to me as a gift. It was a tube of thick cream (not foam or gel) and it left my face feeling all tingly--in a good way. Maybe kind of like Noxema feels (doesn't it tingle?). Anyways, they discontinued it long ago and I've never found anything as good. I've found some other cream-style shaving creams, but they usually aren't as thick and they don't have that tingle!

Onomatopoeia
02-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Danish Go Rounds. Disgusting but compelling.

Oh, Danish Go Rounds. Sigh....that brings me right back to my childhood in the '70s. I don't remember them being disgusting, however, and I sure did eat enough of them to know, especially the brown sugar-cinnamon ones. ::salivating::

Shirley Ujest
02-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Um, darlin'? Where's your region?

Michigan.

Emmy2635
02-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Magic Middles cookies.

They were chocolate chip cookies, filled with chocolate. I believe Keebler made them.

They probably weren't as good as I remember. That's what I keep telling myself.

gotpasswords
02-20-2007, 07:44 PM
The BEST shaving cream I've ever used was a Bath & Body...Oh, thanks for reminding me about the shaving soap cakes that the Body Shop used to sell. The stuff was fairly cheap, lasted nearly forever and didn't make me break out in a rash. :mad:

Since they killed it off, I've switched to growing a full beard, rather than look like I just scrubbed my face with #4 steel wool.

Harmonious Discord
02-20-2007, 07:45 PM
The old style of Wheatables. The new ones are shite. They changed them to some kind of "honey wheat" style, when before it was all herby and savory and delicious. For a brief while, Wheat Thins made a style called "crispy thins," that were essentially a rip off of the old style of Wheatables, but then they went away too.

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE ELSE LIKE THE OLD WHEATABLES! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

Absolutely! They were one of my favorite snack crackers. All of a sudden one day, the tasty delight, is a mouth full of gagging crap. I don't know how they ever considered that calling this new product by the old product name was defensible less alone a good idea. The new stuff is as appitizing as chunky milk.

Qadgop the Mercotan
02-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Oh, Danish Go Rounds. Sigh....that brings me right back to my childhood in the '70s. I don't remember them being disgusting, however,
It was eating them in that circular fashion. ;)

Qadgop the Mercotan
02-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Pillsbury Space Food Sticks
Buy 'em here! http://www.spacefoodsticks.com/spacefood/index.html

(Not Pillsbury anymore, tho. Apparently)

IvoryTowerDenizen
02-20-2007, 07:59 PM
My local supermarkets carry Klondikes, or at least they did last year before winter set in. What would you do for a Klondike bar?

He doesn't want the Klondike Bar. He wants the Polar Bar :)

Back in the mid-90s there was this frozen meal that I think (??) Hidden Valley made that came with a paper measuring cup. You added an aliquot of water and cooked in the wave and it was some pasta and sauce.

I really liked it. Therefore, it was discontinued.

Sigh.

02-20-2007, 08:34 PM

Amen, sister. that was some goooooood stuff.

02-20-2007, 08:35 PM

Black Cow and Slo Poke

Moose Brothers Pizza? I don't remember that...

Bumbazine
02-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Trader Joe's Biryani - a vegetarian curry rice entree in a bag. We'd chop up a boneless, skinless chicken breast or two and saute it in the stir-fry pan, throw in a bag of Biryani, and 5 minutes later, a delicious curry dinner.

Also from TJ's - black cherry juice. - just the juice of black cherries, no grape juice, apple juice, or anything else. It was there, now it's gone. Bastards!

Lactaid 100 chocolate milk - for the lactose intolerant among us, chocolate milk that tasted like chocolate milk is supposed to taste.

A local gripe, Widmer's Black Bier - a very nice porter. Okay, so I've still got Black Butte Porter, but I liked Widmer's Porter, and it was cheaper.

From a long, long time ago - Rath's Blackhawk Honey Glazed Ham. - what honey glazed ham should taste like. In fact, it's practically impossible to find a decently cured ham anywhere these days.

sciurophobic
02-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Mint M&M's. They were around less than the crispy M&M's but longer than the dulche de leche version, which I believe were only available on the West Coast.

Boxes of Hostess Ding Dongs. I've seen them in 3-packs, but in the grocery stores all I can find in boxes are Twinkies, Cupcakes, and Ho-Ho's.

Eyebrows 0f Doom
02-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Carnation made a hot chocolate called Chocolate Meltdown. It was my crack for the short time it was on the market, (about 2 years). Unlike other grocery store brands of hot chocolate mix, it actually tasted like fudgy chocolate. I have since discovered imported drinking chocolate, which is ten times more delicious. But the Carnation was less than $2.00.
Yes! I loved that flavor, finally hot chocolate that actually tasted like chocolate. The last time I saw it in the store I bought a bunch of boxes but I haven't seen it since.

(And Ben & Jerry's better not discontinue my favorite ice cream flavor, Brownie Batter, which I've only found in one store so far!)

Green Cymbeline
02-20-2007, 11:54 PM
I guess it's not discontinued, but Costco use to carry Talking Rain Ice (http://www.talkingrain.com/product-ice-juice.shtml) fruity sparkling spring water, and now they don't have it anymore and I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Why do manufacturers do this?!?! This maybe worthy of a General Question thread, but why is it that supposedy well-liked products just disappear?

Flipstrip
02-21-2007, 12:15 AM
They're not really discontinued, as I can get them at Hometown Favorites or Amazon (provided that I want to pay the shipping), but I miss being able to buy Hershey's Cinnamon Chips in the stores. They're amazing in cookies, so naturally I can't seem to find them locally anymore.

And I'll add another "me too" to the chorus of those who miss Vanilla Coke.

BoBettie
02-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Buff Puff singles (little individual pads containing soap for your face)

(

FYI, I was on a mission for these with no luck, but I did find them on drugstore.com
Buff Puff Singles (http://www.drugstore.com/qxp16494_333181_sespider/buf_puf/singles_facial_sponges_with_cleanser_normal_to_oily_skin.htm)

I also found CVS brand singles for about $1 less. They didn't have the brand name in stock, but they had a spot for them on the shelf. The CVS ones work fine, IMHO.

Musicat
02-21-2007, 12:51 AM
He doesn't want the Klondike Bar. He wants the Polar Bar :) OK, so what would you do for a Polar B'ar? (http://doorbell.net/pbc)

nongoog
02-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Apple newtons, definitely! I used to LOVE them. I remember shoving all five of them into my mouth at once so my brother couldn't have any. My one true love! Fig newtons are okay but I miss the apple newtons! I would write a letter :)

Kyla
02-21-2007, 02:50 AM
However, the Ben & Jerry's flavor Fossil Fuels, which has tiny chocolate DINOSAURS(!) is about as good.

OMG. Chocolate dinosaurs? That is clearly the greatest idea ever.

I must have this ice cream. If this flavor is discontinued before I get back to the US, I'm blaming all of y'all.

Tuckerfan
02-21-2007, 03:30 AM
Josta, man that was tasty.

PB Max candy bars, or as I to call them "chocolate covered heroin."

Buffalo Trace BBQ sauce, pure, unadulterated liquid crack.

Those Starburst licorice whip thingies.

Vegetable flavored crackers (shaped like bell peppers and the like).

This one brand of burritos, I don't remember the name, but the wrappers looked like the cans of Arizona lemon tea. Cheap and oh, sooooo tasty.

Onion McNuggets.

The Turkey Jack at Jack in the Box.

Robot Arm
02-21-2007, 05:03 AM
Ben & Jerry's made a flavor called "Bovinity Divinity" for awhile.I went to a very small Dopefest once. How small? There were three of us. We went to Ben & Jerry's. The others ordered Chunky Monkey and Chubby Hubby. I had to keep the theme going, and there was only one other rhyming flavor on the menu.

Some time later, I captured the moment in haiku.

Secret Volcano Lair
02-21-2007, 05:19 AM
Those Starburst licorice whip thingies.

Oh man, those were great. I tried looking for them online a while back, but sadly, no luck.

Surly Chick
02-21-2007, 06:54 AM
Oh, I thought of another one - o.b. applicator tampons - super plus were the most absorbent ever, which I need. They were the best and now they only make the non-applicator ones. Can I just say, ewwwww! I need an applicator, thankyouverymuch. Especially on those "super-plus" days...

Sorry for the TMI.

Paintcharge
02-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Czeckvar beer. The very best pilsner in the world. Way better taht Urquell. It used to be Budvar, but damn Anheuser-Busch made them change the name. Too close to Budweiser. Now, the two companies have made a deal to have A-B distribute Czechvar, but where the hell is it?

Also, Dr Marten's boots discontinued the only style that works for my strange feet.

Great googly-moogly that looks like a U-H manly man list of complaints. :rolleyes:

Terrorcotta
02-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Where do I begin?

Chocolate Velamints (sometimes they show up but they are rare)
BubbleYum Sugar Free Mint bubble gum (sometime I find it at interstate convenient stores)
Capio Bottled Cappucino (an idea that came long too early and forgotten)
Twister banana orange strawberry Light
Delfa Rolls - yummy red licorice rolls in a strawberry flavor. I've ordered them on line but they have finally vanished
And finally - Original Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger (before they jiggered the recipe). I drank gallons in college and even more when I tried it with a dash of Amaretto. I wrote a furious letter to the Celestial Seasonings company about this outrage. They wrote back and thanked me for being such a loyal customer and included a catalog of merchandise and a coupon for 50 cents off. Grrrrr....

Tristan
02-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Add me to the list of folks that miss the Bar None. It was my ideal chocolately goodness, and I'm not a HUGE fan of candy bars.

I miss the 16oz glass bottles of soda, I quaffed many of them in High School. Not the classic "coke bottle" shaped ones, I'm talking about the short, squat 16oz bottles.

Keebler made a chip called "Pizzeria", pizza flavored chips. These combined with the 16oz bottles of Mt. Dew pretty much kept I and my friends alive on the weekends.

Long gone now, it would appear. I haven't seen a bag since 1994. Dang it.

cmkeller
02-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Wow - four pages and I still have some originals to add:

Entenmann's Fudge-Iced Devil's Food Filled Cupcakes. Those were the BEST Entenmann's products, and we're talking about a company that makes lots of delicious stuff. How the heck could they have stopped making them???

Entenmann's Fudge-Iced Crullers. Addictively delicious, but at least these were a relatively new product that may have just bombed in the marketplace despite my love for them. The cupcakes above, though, had been around forever before they stopped making them.

Nestles Mocha-flavored Crunch Bars. Not around for long, maybe only from 1999-2000 or so, but I was crazy about them.

Pepsi Lite. The best implementation of Cola-with-a-twist-of-lemon ever. The current Pepsi Twist is good, but not quite as good.

pizzabrat
02-21-2007, 11:09 AM
However, reading the label is necessary; sometimes corn syrup is used. But mostly, pure can sugar is the sweetening.
Which label? The translated one with the nutrition facts on them? Ignore that - oftentimes the lazy bastards that slap those things on there out of legal necessity apparently copy the exact same info from their domestic counterparts, regardless of accuracy. Reading the ingredients printed on the bottle in the original language shows a discrepancy. In fact, since it's we as a nation who uniquely make the price of high fructose corn syrup so artificially low, there's no reason to expect soft drinks from any other place to use it as a sweetener, so you can safely assume that all foreign manufactured soft drinks are sweetened with sugar (or maybe something else that may be cheaper in a certain country).

02-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Michigan.

I thought so. I haven't heard of a product by that name...

..this is where you appeal to age and call me a "whipper snapper".

gigi
02-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Oh, I thought of another one - o.b. applicator tampons - super plus were the most absorbent ever, which I need. They were the best and now they only make the non-applicator ones. Can I just say, ewwwww! I need an applicator, thankyouverymuch. Especially on those "super-plus" days...

Sorry for the TMI.They have "Ultra" now, which I guess surpasses Super-plus, but sadly only in non-applicator.

PB Max candy bars, or as I to call them "chocolate covered heroin."<whimper> I forgot to remember to miss these until now. Man were they something special.

pizzabrat
02-21-2007, 12:35 PM
"Lifestyles Large" is now "Lifestyles King Size XL". I guess that might be flattering to some but think it's a bit ridiculous, and intelligence-insulting knowing there's nothing between their original and "King Size XL" size wise.

GaryM
02-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Two things, one food, one not.

Bonnomo's Turkish Taffy. Came in banana, vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry flavors. A flat bar of taffy.

Q-Tips with wooden sticks. Yeah I know you're not supposed to stick them in your ears, but they are also good for cleaning other cracks and crevices. No, not there! I mean for firearms and such. The plastic and paper sticks are just no good. CVS sells them as Classic Cotton Swabs, but there aren't any CVS in the St. Louis environs.

sciguy
02-21-2007, 02:09 PM
While I was in college, I got hooked on Celestial Seasonings "Fast Lane" tea. Or, as my friends and I called it, the "Flying people (http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/black-teas/fast-lane-pop.html)" tea. Black tea with ginsing, a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg, and a caffeine content higher than drip coffee (110 mg per serving vs. 90). Caffeine was listed as an ingredient, how could a college geek resist? :)

And then around 2000 or so, it started being hard to find on the tea shelves of the local grocery store. And then it was gone. I tried their "Morning Thunder", but it just wasn't the same.

But last Saturday, my girlfriend and I decided to go do the Celestial Seasonings factory tour. Well, I went to their web site to get their address for driving directions and saw the happy words:

Fast Lane is Back!

For now, it's apparently only available online and at their headquarter's tea shop (needless to say, I picked up two boxes when the tour was over), but it looks like I wasn't the only one depressed by it's removal from their product line. I'm hoping it makes it's way back onto store shelves.

Lucky 13
02-21-2007, 04:27 PM
I just remembered another product I miss: Hostess chocolate-chip mini muffins. Also Burger King's Burger Buddies - mini burgers that came three to a pack. My siblings and I devoured those back in the 80s.

Also count me among those who wonder what happened to Orangina.

Joey P
02-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Suddenly Smores.

Quiddity Glomfuster
02-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Hey there. Went to the shops after work today. I have good and bad news. The good is that I did indeed see Rich Tea on a PF box. The bad news is that they're part of one of their mixed boxes; the 'Peek Frean's Assorted Tea' mix so you get a bunch of Nice, shortbread, and other cookies in with your Rich Teas.
An assortment of Peek Freans finest plain biscuits - Digestive, Shortcake, Nice, Fruit Shortcake, Rich Tea and Petit Beurre.
http://www.kraftfoods.com/peekfreanscanada/Products/assortedtea.asp
Mind you, they are all pretty tasty..

LilyoftheValley
02-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Also count me among those who wonder what happened to Orangina.

Just last Friday I noticed it's in the vending machine at my YMCA. :confused: (Maybe the word "orange" makes someone think it's good for you?)

Stan Shmenge
02-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Seven Seas Creamy Italian Salad Dressing is gone. I used to buy in CA then it was only available by begging my mom in Illinois to mail me some, and now it is gone, gone gone ... discontinued. Sigh. It was the best.
Here (http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Seas-Creamy-Italian-Dressing/dp/B00061EQYO) you go.

Dr. Rieux
02-22-2007, 03:50 AM
What, are their research departments being run by chimps?
Close--M.B.A.s

Cisco
02-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Josta, man that was tasty.

This is what I came in here to say and I couldn't believe it wasn't mentioned within the first 5 posts! In fact, I half-expected the OP to be based on this stuff.

I was the only one I knew who drank it when it was around (about '96-'99 or so, IIRC?) and then I googled it out of curiousity a couple years back and found out it actually had a fanatical following. One guy had a recipe to make mock Josta, and you could even print the label off of his website!

Shayna
02-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Team Flakes cereal. Hear, hear! (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=8131671&postcount=61) Those things rocked.

Dr_Paprika
02-23-2007, 02:37 PM
All "New York Seltzer" fans know that the best flavour was "Cola & Berry". Pepsi came out in Canada with Diet Pepsi Jazz, "strawberries and cream flavour cola" which was a pale imitation of this, and quickly got revamped into a cherry vanilla diet cola.

I miss "Mr. Skinny" beef ramen noodles, with 80% less fat but full ramen noodley goodness.

Parlour came out with an apple pie flavoured ice cream, with real chunks of apple pie. Fabulous, and gone within months.

Rich Tea cookies, Callard and Bowser toffee, Orangina, Haagen Daas sorbet... I've seen all of these recently in Canada. I've seen Vienetta cakes as well.

In Canada, Clark bars and Fruit Stripe Bubble Gum disappeared many moons ago, except from specialty candy stores.

No one else seems to remember Canada Dry's "Sport Cola". My brother liked this stuff, but he also liked Moxie and the foul Chocolate Cola President's Choice used to make.

Special K made a tasty low carb cereal that I kinda liked and has disappeared locally.

rucciface
02-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Blue Bell doesn't offer every flavor every month. Some are constant, others are "rotational." Chocolate Almond Marshmallow is still on the list--so it will probably show up again.

www.bluebell.com/icecream_flavors.htm

Oh, good news! I haven't seen it around here for I don't know how many years. I'll keep my eyes open for it. Thanks

02-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Close--M.B.A.s

CPAs aren't much better. *shudder*

BurnMeUp
02-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Sorells Pickard peanut butter. I don;t know if it was regional or what we found it when we moved up here to Washington, and then one day *poof* It has a nice cinnamon to it.

Pineapple Fanta - again i grew to love it and then *poof*

When I lived in Utah there was this off brand soda named "Shasta" They had like 32,000 flavors. They had the usual "cola" "root beer" "lemon lime" I also remember "kiwi strawberry" "pinapple orange" and others. The don't have it up here.

I second (or third or whatever) the vienetta cakes.

Annie-Xmas
02-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Flavored Peanut Butter--came in chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon and banana.

Cisco
02-23-2007, 05:33 PM
My wife talks about Taco Bell flavored Doritos all the time. I only vaguely remember them.

Ultraviolet
02-23-2007, 06:05 PM
China Lily Soy Sauce - I had heard a few years ago that people were having problems finding it, but I never couldn't find it and then I heard that everything was running again. Now I can't find it anywhere, but I'm not hearing that from others.
China Lily is still in all the grocery stores here. Let me know if you're desperate, I might be able to mail you a bottle.

ratatoskK
02-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Almay Almatone skin/lip balm (in a jar). It was made with spermaceti and was sold into the 70s.

ratatoskK
02-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Not that I'm endorsing killing whales, it's just that my mother always used it and it really was great for the skin. Repeat: I do not endorse killing whales.

ratatoskK
02-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Another thing I used to LOVE were canned enchiladas. I haven't seen them in ages. I think they were made by Old El Paso. No idea if I would still like them.

Harmonious Discord
02-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Shasta was all over Wisconsin too, so it was more than a local item.

Jolly Good Soda was cheep and tasted good, in the 70's. Every cann had at least a joke, and sometimes a prize vocher. Somebody you knew would get a cool prize like atoy worth $20 every year.

Eyebrows 0f Doom
02-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Orbitz soda. Anyone else remember this drink? It was fruit flavored soda with tiny gelatenous balls of another flavor floating around inside. My favorite was the Vanilla-Orange one.

I also seem to remember some kind of clear Coke product. I think it was called Coke 2? (Or did I just make up that name.) It was around maybe 13-14 years ago.

SmartAleq
02-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Trader Joe's alone is a wealth of disappointments--the fabulous 3.99/liter rum, the Jo-Jo's peppermint stick sandwich cookies, the chicken garlic enchiladas (sob!), the chicken Thai pizza, the chicken gyoza, the Marcel & Henri pork pate with truffles... snivel...

Genisoy blueberry cheesecake flavor bars--these were the best thing ever!

Mountain Dew Live Wire ONLY comes in cans, damn them! I don't drink the stuff but the SO is mad for it and the stupid cans are a recycling nightmare, not to mention much more expensive than 2 liter bottles. That horrible cough syrup flavored Code Red is everywhere, and in every size, but noooooo--Live Wire can't possibly be sold in 1 or 2 liter bottles, lest the sky fall or something.

International Delight Caramel Praline flavor--it's "seasonal," dont'cha know... :rolleyes: They can bite me!

Grand Central Bakery no longer makes their sourdough/rosemary baguette, and I for one think this is a VERY BAD IDEA.

Don't EVEN get me started on discontinued hair coloring products--what, is it no longer fashionable to have red hair? The nice Garnier 100% colors are down to nothing these days, L'Oreal has dumped most of their good reds and I'm down to RR07 which is getting tough to find. This pisses me off a whole bunch...

wmulax93
02-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Mint M&M's. They were around less than the crispy M&M's but longer than the dulche de leche version, which I believe were only available on the West Coast.

Boxes of Hostess Ding Dongs. I've seen them in 3-packs, but in the grocery stores all I can find in boxes are Twinkies, Cupcakes, and Ho-Ho's.

Mint M&Ms are available only at Christmas now. My GF bought six bags on clearance... unfortunately, we only made them last a month and a half. :(

Pushkin
02-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Brit dopers will remember the Wispa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wispa) bar and its dismal failure as a replacement the Dairy Milk Bubbly :rolleyes:

Cisco
02-23-2007, 09:29 PM
I hate to admit this but I miss the short-lived Be (pronounced "b-to-the-e".) It actually tasted really good and a little bit went a long way, but I think people were embarassed to buy it.

Also, I can't find Phish Food frozen yogurt anymore. I can't justify all the saturated fat in the ice cream but I can lie to myself all day long that the yogurt is perfectly fine. Plus I actually think it tastes better. Doesn't make me as thirsty.

Qadgop the Mercotan
02-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Grandpa Graf's 50/50 soda.

Great stuff. Lemon-lime-grapefruit, like "Squirt" or "Wink" except better.

Canfield's took over the brand, and still distributes something they call "50/50". It's not bad, but not the same.

Quiddity Glomfuster
02-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Lemon-lime-grapefruit, like "Squirt" or "Wink" except better.

Oh I miss Wink! I loved Wink :(

Stan Shmenge
02-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Grandpa Graf's 50/50 soda.

Great stuff. Lemon-lime-grapefruit, like "Squirt" or "Wink" except better.

Canfield's took over the brand, and still distributes something they call "50/50". It's not bad, but not the same.You must be very old, Canfields has been making 50/50 since I was a kid, and that was in the 60's.

Dr_Paprika
02-24-2007, 01:47 AM
Tahiti Treat was way better than Wink!

Musicat
02-24-2007, 08:08 AM
Peter Pan Peanut Butter seems to have disappeared recently. I used to like the salmon flavor.

lee
02-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Old el Paso taco sauce. I really liked that.

supervenusfreak
02-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Skinny Cow sugar free chocolate peanut butter ice cream bars. They were so very rich and decadent, and now I cannot find them anywhere.

*sobs*

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
02-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Raisin Biscuts.

I used to gobble up whole packages.

Now...they are consigned to the Twilight Zone.

Qadgop the Mercotan
02-24-2007, 12:15 PM
You must be very old, Canfields has been making 50/50 since I was a kid, and that was in the 60's.
It seems you misremember. I certainly recall buying products bearing the Graf's label as an intern, in 1983. I recall Canfield carrying the 50/50 brand, too. But that was later.
Graf's Beverages.....was sold to P & V Atlas Industrial Center in 1968 ......In the 1970s, P & V Atlas......sold Graf's to Canada Dry Co., which operated the bottling plant until 1984, when the Graf's label and formulas were sold to Canfield Co. in Chicago
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4196/is_19981024/ai_n10455966

Wile E
02-24-2007, 12:17 PM
I miss diet vanilla Coke. A lot. And I never liked Coke before that.

However... vanilla vodka? Hmm... I like the sound of that. :)

I said Coke but I always drink Diet Coke, so the vanilla vodka works with Diet Coke, too.

Regular Coke is too sweet, it makes my teeth hurt

I have a fear that with the new Splenda craze, my old Diet Coke with Nutrasweet may go the way of many of the products mentioned in this thread. If that happens I won't be drinking Diet Coke at all. I cannot stand Splenda.

Other posts in this thread reminded me of some of the things I miss:

Danish Go-Rounds, loved to eat them in that circular fashion. :D

PBMax ... the peanut butter food of the gods. When I first got a membership to warehouse store I bought a huge box of them. I think I parted with one to give to a friend. Then they weren't available anymore and I wish I had rationed mine out better. Everytime I see Reese's try something new with peanut butter I hope they will come close to a PBMax, but I am always disappointed. *sigh*

Tenar
02-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Old el Paso taco sauce. I really liked that.

It may not be in your local store, but Old El Paso is still in production.

Spoke
02-24-2007, 01:16 PM
When I lived in Utah there was this off brand soda named "Shasta"

Hardly an off brand when they had Barry "Greg Brady" Williams shilling for them!

Barry remembers (http://www.barrywilliams.com/ask/page2002.htm):

Q.From: mholtzclaw-at-dailypress.com
Yo Barry! I interviewed you and did a story on you previewing your one-man show when you played Williamsburg. Truly enjoyed dealing with you. My question: All these people are mentioning guest spots in TV shows that I *don't* recall, but am I correct in remembering that shortly after the Bradys went off the air, you did a commercial for Shasta orange soda in which you dressed in period costume and delivered the memorable line, "What are we drinking, m'Lords?"

A.Yes, you are correct. I played Lancelot and wore chain link and used a British accent.

Shasta is still around (http://www.shastapop.com/), by the way. I met someone recently who works for them.

02-24-2007, 01:49 PM
I hate to admit this but I miss the short-lived Be (pronounced "b-to-the-e".) It actually tasted really good and a little bit went a long way, but I think people were embarassed to buy it.

Also, I can't find Phish Food frozen yogurt anymore. I can't justify all the saturated fat in the ice cream but I can lie to myself all day long that the yogurt is perfectly fine. Plus I actually think it tastes better. Doesn't make me as thirsty.

Phish Food...in my grocer's aisle!

Yes, the yogurt one.

dalej42
02-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Taco Bell Bean Burrito kits. Coming home at night after a few drinks, I'd think they were the food of the gods.

Harriet the Spry
02-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Another cry for Vanilla Coke, specifically diet, in something other than cans. I think I'd buy it in the boxes like the cheap wine if that's what it takes. I may try the syrup or vodka suggestions, though. Also, it occurs to me that a vanilla cola could probably be a profitable product for either Coke or Pepsi, but we the consumers are losing out to their competition.

Also, I wish I'd never opened this thread to learn there has ever been such goodness as Dulce de Leche M&Ms in this world.

Hey, It's That Guy!
02-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Flavored Peanut Butter--came in chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon and banana.
If you have Fresh Market near you (gourmet grocery store, like Whole Foods but a little less expensive and hippie-ish), they sell a brand of peanut butter that comes in delicious dark chocolate and white chocolate varieties. My girlfriend loves the "Dark Chocolate Dreams" kind.

Ah, here is the peanut butter company's official website with online store, and they also offer a cinnamon raisin swirl one and a hot spicy one (maybe good for Thai recipes?): http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/store/index.cfm?destination=darkchocolatedreams

kushiel
02-25-2007, 12:02 AM

Readily available at 7-11s everywhere here.

Glade 3-in-1 Candles. I miss them so, so, so much.

Are those the layered ones? I think you can still get them here, but I'd have to double-check. I'm not the candle buyer here.

Buckler of Swashing
02-25-2007, 12:12 AM
I've been complaining for at least three years that Pop Tarts of all varieties have vanished from local shelves. I'm not even sure they're available in Australia at all.

Dagnabbit - why can't a girl get some Pop Tarts when she needs 'em?

I needs 'em! :mad:

Arien
02-25-2007, 01:17 PM
The predominant grocery store chain in Florida, Publix, used to have this Apple Pie a la Mode kind of ice cream. It was vanilla with swirls of appley cinnamon goodness. I haven't seen it in a couple years but I still look for it every time I go grocery shopping, just in case they decide to bring it back.

Shawn1767
02-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Speaking of Pop Tarts, I came in here to post for that reason. When I was in college in the mid-to-late 80s, my roommate and I would try all kinds of new products. One was Peanut Butter and Jelly Pop Tarts. There were like the current Smores ones where there were alternating internal strips of peanut butter and jelly. I believe the outside frosting was peanut butter flavored.

Also, around this time, we used to get microwaveable shakes. They were frozen shakes that you defrosted for a few seconds in the microwave until they were soft enough to stir.

And this is entirely regional, since it comes from "Edie's" a restaurant in Lafayette, Louisiana (where I went to college), but they used to market their chicken pot pies in the local supermarkets. I would go back to Lafayette from time to time, just to load up on the chicken pot pies. As far as I know, Edie's is still operating, but I can no longer find the pot pies in the supermarket.

BurnMeUp
02-26-2007, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=spoke-]Hardly an off brand when they had Barry "Greg Brady" Williams shilling for them! [url="http://www.barrywilliams.com/ask/page2002.htm"]

By "off brand" i meant that generally they were considered a 3rd teir or below soda. Like their cola flavors would be after coke, pepsi, royal crown... almost a store brand.

toadbriar
02-26-2007, 06:36 PM
For a very short time in the late 90s or early 2000s, 7-11 had a flavor of slurpee called Dragon Potion. It was purple. The flavor was plum and green tea. It was so so so delicious.

I liked the lifesavers lollipops with the holes in the middle. There were often swirly flavors, like strawberry cream. Are those still anywhere?

I have not lived near a Wegmans for 11 years, but occasionally I am visiting in Wegmans territory. They used to carry a store branded flavor of pop that was Hot Ginger Ale. It had a great ginger bite! I looked for it last time I was in Buffalo but no love. Husband would have been thrilled if I brought some back to MA. Do they still make it?

Polar is a local brand of pop based in Worcester MA. I usedta be able to get their (really good) birch beer in cans, but I have not found it in the last few months. I hope it's not discontinued.

I miss Henry Winehard's (sp?) orange cream soda. MMMM fizzy dreamsicle in a bottle.

Bruegger's bagel shops changed their lox cream cheese. It doesn't have great big chunks of salmon in it. I want the old kind with giant slabs, not the current stuff with just salmon flavor.

I want Sunshine Lemon Coolers cookies. Sorta like nilla wafers but coated in powdered sugar with PROFOUND lemon flavor. So yummy! But gone. I knew that finding them in the 99 cents store did not bode well.

Is there a reason not to just put some regular old vanilla into coke/diet coke? I've done it before, it works fine for me. I just keep forgetting to do it.

Clockwork And Candy
02-26-2007, 06:47 PM
I want Sunshine Lemon Coolers cookies. Sorta like nilla wafers but coated in powdered sugar with PROFOUND lemon flavor. So yummy! But gone. I knew that finding them in the 99 cents store did not bode well.

OMG, yes.

I loved those. Just thinking of them invokes so many childhood memories.

lee
02-27-2007, 01:15 AM
It may not be in your local store, but Old El Paso is still in production.
Yes, but I haven't seen their taco sauce in years.

SpazCat
02-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Keebler Grasshopper cookies. They were a chocolate mint cookie covered in chocolate. Do they still make them? I haven't seen them since the late 80s at least.

jabiru
02-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Hazelnut Tim Tams. I can't believe they deleted that line and kept the cruddy caramel ones. Morons.

tiger lily
02-27-2007, 06:00 PM
I just saw Phish Food AND Skinny Cow in the market freezer on my way home tonight, and I would never have noticed except I wanted some sorbet and was poking around the shelf. Freaky.

Tim Tams are a food of the gods, I only wish we could get them here in the U.S.

I miss Pine Bros. cough drops from when I was a kid. More candy than anything - heck, you could suck on a Jujube and it would be pretty much the same experience - except that you could get away with the cough drops more easily in school. ;)

Cisco
02-28-2007, 01:45 AM
I just saw Phish Food . . . in the market freezer on my way home tonight
I see Phish Food at every grocery store. It's the Phish Food frozen yogurt I can't find anymore.

garygnu
02-28-2007, 02:48 AM
I liked the Excedrin QuickTabs dissolve-in-the-mouth tablets. I have a very hard time swallowing pills that are uncoated or bigger than a Sudafed. I'm going to have to try the new Tylenol GoTabs.

I, too, very much miss the above-mentioned original Carnation Breakfast Bars.

Vanilla Coka was OK, but I'd been drinking real vanilla Cokes at TGI Friday's and Johnny Rocket's for years before the bottled stuff came out and it was not nearly as good. I strongly recommend those pining for the stuff to simply add some vanilla syrup (like Torani)to their regular Coke.

toadbriar, you can at least mail order your Henry Weinhard Orange Cream Soda (http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.asp?area=home&pf_id=00000052447) fix. (Dammit, now I'm gonna have to go out and get some.)

phall0106
02-28-2007, 08:50 AM
The two products I can think of off the top of my head are:

Old Bay Seasoning and this Hickory seasoning stuff. I cannot find it anywhere around here. I do not know why.

I can probably order on-line, but it seems ridiculous to pay that much for it.

In the 80's I lived in Baltimore and fell in love with Old Bay Seasoning and used it in nearly everything. I then moved to Tulsa, where there was no Old Bay to be found. One time, while in the grocery store, I came across it--right there in the middle of Tulsa, Oklahoma. I almost cried.

I'm back on the East Coast and have the access to as much Old Bay as I can possibly use.

Second Star to the Right
03-01-2007, 02:13 AM
Orbitz soda. Anyone else remember this drink? It was fruit flavored soda with tiny gelatenous balls of another flavor floating around inside. My favorite was the Vanilla-Orange one.

Ooh, I loved Orbitz soda. Actually I had forgotten the name of it and just the other day was trying to remember what that drink was called that had the jelly bean-esque floating balls of flavor-y goodness. Haven't seen that stuff for a good 10 years, at least.

Gymnopithys
03-01-2007, 03:45 AM
Is malted milk still available in the US?

pdcoyne
10-30-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't understand why Progresso items are hard to find. The canned plum tomatoes are the best for making home made spaghetti. Neither Vons nor Ralph sells them in S. CA.

What happened to Ronzoni?

Why doesn't Trader Joes sell Mocha Java coffee anymore? Mocha Java, the best coffee on the planet, gone.

If anyone has a reasonable answer, I'd love to hear it.

Siam Sam
10-30-2010, 09:58 PM
There used to be a product called Fi-Bars. Sort of a chewy granola bar. Very good, the best of its type IMHO. Practically used to live off of those at one point. But I can never find them now when I go to the US. Can't remember who made them.

Rhythmdvl
10-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Cans of Zombie-away have been awfully hard to find recently.

I lament the loss of Frisky's (?) Tender Vittles. We used to keep a pouch on hand as cat treats. We figured it was slightly better than regular cat treats, and the boys never knew the difference--they went crazy for them.

Now there's no moist/soft alternative :(

Anyone in Canada want to ship us some?

running coach
10-30-2010, 10:24 PM
There used to be a product called Fi-Bars. Sort of a chewy granola bar. Very good, the best of its type IMHO. Practically used to live off of those at one point. But I can never find them now when I go to the US. Can't remember who made them.

There are Fiber One (http://www.fiberone.com/product/bars.aspx) bars. Very good.

Brown Eyed Girl
10-30-2010, 10:33 PM

Every time a thread like this pops up, I decry the very same injustice. There was and still is no cookie anywhere near as yummy as Lemon Coolers. Those Keebler bastards discontinued (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Biscuits) the Lemon Coolers when they bought the Sunshine Biscuit Company, along with Hydrox cookies which they brought back in 2008. The crappy thing about the whole thing is there is still no alternative lemon cookie available that is anything at all like the Coolers. It's a such a goddamn crime. :mad:

LavenderBlue
10-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Mystic mints are gone. Basically a chocolate covered oreo cookie with mint flavoring. My favorite store made cookie ever.

Jamicat
10-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Nabisco Doo-Dads. They were like a ready-made prepackaged Chex party mix. I could devour these all day.
Betty Crocker "Bowl Appetit", an instant microwaveable pasta dish. I thought I'd never see these again as they aren't in Albertsons or Wal-Mart, but I recently found them on the shelves at Walgreen's. Hooray!
Add me to the list of people who mourn the disappearance of Vanilla Coke.

I'll use this opportunity to invite everyone to check out my thread Supermarket items you miss (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=325021&highlight=supermarket) from some time back. Just don't post to it since it has long since become zombified.

OMFG DOODADS...
I knew there was something missing in the pantry. That was my snack food forever. Perfect balance of flavors. Then one day it was gone. :mad:

Soft Drinks in 16 oz. Glass Bottles with Real Sugar. Especially the Nehi Flavors. Cans and Plastic just doesn't cut it.

Freeman - Sea Kelp Shampoo n Conditioner from the 80's, had reappeared online apparently. :)

Reepicheep
10-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Beefamato -- way more salt than anyone needed, but heat it up, put a slice of orange with cloves in the cup and you have the BEST cold weather drink made.
When I was a kid my mom would get 4 jars of Beffamato a week in Dec, Jan & Feb. However Motts has stopped making it, but for some unknown reason they still make Camato, which is an offence unto the Lord Most High.

John DiFool
10-31-2010, 01:19 AM
Man this is an old one of mine to go digging up.

They no longer make Goodyear Eagle GS-D3 (http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/reviews/data/91/16842gy_eagle_f1_gsd3_ci1_l.jpg)'s in my vehicle's (wheel) size-the replacement has an asymmetrical tread design which is rather ugly as sin (http://www.allroundtyres.com/images/item01.jpg) and apparently has very crappy wear rates. The GS-D3's had some pretty ungodly grip, esp. in the wet. Well I got some Dunlops (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/images/tyres/direzza_sport_z1_starspec.jpg) which performed admirably during my recent trip, so I'm happy, but ya know Goodyear if it ain't broke don't fix it.

BaconAndEggs
10-31-2010, 03:33 AM

What happened to chocolate altoids? Can't find them anywhere! :(

Fried Dough Ho
10-31-2010, 03:40 AM
Pear Pimm's.

Here in the states, you can still get Orange and Raspberry, but apparently the Pear is only sold in Canada.

I loved 'em....

BaconAndEggs
10-31-2010, 03:40 AM

That post just brought me back to the early-mid 90's. Ahhh! Used to love this as a kid. I would devour a whold box of this in 2 days.

Siam Sam
10-31-2010, 10:57 AM
There are Fiber One (http://www.fiberone.com/product/bars.aspx) bars. Very good.

Fi-Bars came in several flavors, but raspberry is the only one I can think of offhand. No chocolate ones, I don't think.

And I'm saddened to learn there are no more Lemon Keeblers. Hadn't thought about those in ages, but now that I know they're gone, I miss them. :(

Infovore
10-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Crest Vanilla Mint toothpaste.

Secret Vanilla Chai deodorant (hey, I like vanilla flavored stuff. :P )

Carnation Breakfast Squares (but this was many, many years ago. I still miss them.)

salinqmind
10-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Every time a thread like this pops up, I decry the very same injustice. There was and still is no cookie anywhere near as yummy as Lemon Coolers. Those Keebler bastards discontinued (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Biscuits) the Lemon Coolers when they bought the Sunshine Biscuit Company, along with Hydrox cookies which they brought back in 2008. The crappy thing about the whole thing is there is still no alternative lemon cookie available that is anything at all like the Coolers. It's a such a goddamn crime. :mad:

They discontinued the Golden Raisin Biscuits, too. A pair of flat, glazed, kinda sweet crackers with a raisin filling. Really pretty blah tasting, but I still get cravings for them.

They can be had, at the usual exorbitant price, in the baby boomer's Big Book of Nostalgia that is called The Vermont Country Store catalog.

And Aldi's food store makes a very similar version, with apples and raisins, in their cookie/snack food aisle.

But I'm really upset that the Shake n Bake BBQ coating seems to be gone. Oh, there's crumb coating, but the powdered BBQ sauce for chicken was really special. Can't find it, though I'll keep looking in Big Lots and places.

ralph124c
10-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Three things:
-Jovan ginseng cologne-loved that stuff!
-Chicken Bones candy-a soft chewy core surrounded by crackly sugar-great!
-"Quality Street" assorted licorice pieces (from England)-Nobody carries them anymore-Gawd-I loved them!

salinqmind
10-31-2010, 01:12 PM
I've seen big jars of "Turkey Bones" which are like Chicken Bones, in the grocery store, before Christmas (for gifts). They're usually in the gift-food section with boxes of cheese samples, layered jars of cookie mix in jars, fruit baskets, tea samplers....

Savannah
10-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Vanilla Coka was OK, but I'd been drinking real vanilla Cokes at TGI Friday's and Johnny Rocket's for years before the bottled stuff came out and it was not nearly as good. I strongly recommend those pining for the stuff to simply add some vanilla syrup (like Torani)to their regular Coke.

Ooh. Added to grocery list. I'll have to see if I can find some around here. Edited to add I might try just adding some real vanilla to diet coke--a co-worker brought some stuff back from Mexico that I want to try.

I just bought a tin of ginger Altoids, but I didn't like them. (Sorry!)

My parents had a cat that lived for 19 years on Tender Vittles.

MikeG
10-31-2010, 07:19 PM
Lea and Perrins White Wine Worcestershire sauce. Absolutely brilliant on roast chicken. It's out there somewhere but the stores around me have stopped carrying it.