View Full Version : Broken Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb - Mercury Cleanup
03-05-2007, 02:59 PM
My husband broke a compact fluorescent lightbulb in our bathroom and proceeded to clean it up using not just a vacuum cleaner, but one of those "wind tunnel" types that sprays exhaust out the front.
He thinks he might've found the little blob of mercury in the sink (it's in a baggie). The vacuum cleaner was already full of gunk.
Has anyone dealt with this?
03-05-2007, 03:12 PM
According to the EPA (http://220.127.116.11/search?q=cache:YN35CL5zVXwJ:www.nema.org/lamprecycle/epafactsheet-cfl.pdf+%22compact+fluorescent%22+mercury+milligrams&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=firefox-a), there's about 4 miilgrams of mercury in a compact fluorescent lamp. At a density of 13.5 g/cc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(element)) , that'd make a blob with a volume of about 0.3 microliters. That's very small, almost unseeably small.
I wouldn't worry about it, but would make an effort not to make it a habit.
03-05-2007, 03:15 PM
We have small children, so we worry more. I was out with them when it happened, and he aired the place out pretty well before we came home.
vBulletin® v3.7.3, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.