PDA

View Full Version : List your irrational fear.

bbs2k
03-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Inspired by another thread.

Tell us something that you're scared of even though you recognize, on a rational level, that there is not a reason for it. And I don't mean those common ones. Because I am terrified of spiders even though I know that I will never die from a spider bite, and probably will never even be bitten.

Personally, I can't open mail. Well, I can, but it takes a lot. It's not because I'm lazy, I just really get very anxious by the act.

Also I work in a Blood Bank, and there is an instrument used to separate portions of the blood in plastic tubing for testing purposes. And it freaks me out even though it is a small and harmless device. The first time I used it, it malfunctioned and burned/blew up the tubing causing a little bit of blood to splurt everywhere. And ever since I have been weary.

The mail thing has no explanation.

Winston Smith
03-07-2007, 08:33 AM
I'm afraid that it parties unknown get ahold of my fingernail clippings they will use them to make a voodoo doll of me (or something else equally wicked). I'm otherwise pretty well-grounded in reality.

How's that for irrational?

h.sapiens
03-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Clowns and ventriloquist dummies. Every time an ad for the movie Dead Silence (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455760/) comes on, I have to leave the room.

Antigen
03-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Also I work in a Blood Bank, and there is an instrument used to separate portions of the blood in plastic tubing for testing purposes. And it freaks me out even though it is a small and harmless device. The first time I used it, it malfunctioned and burned/blew up the tubing causing a little bit of blood to splurt everywhere. And ever since I have been weary.
I have the same problem with segment openers ever since I pushed too hard on one and broke a tube. No cuts, but damn was I scared when I saw the blood droplets all over my arms, and now I push so gently it takes me a while to get a drop out of the damn thing.

But that's not irrational - blood everywhere means risk of nasty infections. I'll defend your fear, bbs2000!

I have a spider phobia, which isn't at all unusual.

The weird one is my fear of high places because it's not really a fear of falling, it's a fear of flinging myself over the edge on purpose. I'm not suicidal at all, but every time I'm up on a bridge, I'm terrified that I'll run up to the edge and dive off.

romansperson
03-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Revolving doors scare the crap out of me. I hate them and will avoid using them if at all possible.

Dung Beetle
03-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Well, if fear of spiders doesn't count, I guess I'm all cured, but I used to have quite a phobia about using the phone. Whenever I had to make a phone call, I'd have to take deep breaths and psych myself up for a while first. I would then go into a room alone and close the door so no one could hear me if I panicked and decided to hang up.

I got over my phobia when I got a job answering phones! I had only applied for the job because my mother asked me to. I was certain I wouldn't get it and I didn't want it anyway, so I was quite relaxed during the interview, and bingo! I was hired.

The first word I had to say when answering was "Diagnostic", and the first syllable of Diagnostic is "Die", which is what I wished people would do instead of calling me, so that's how I remembered what I was supposed to say. Now, a few thousand phone calls later, I'm not afraid to use the phone anymore.

Bibliovore
03-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Deep Water.

If the bottom is a long way down, I'll get very, very nervous. If I can't even see the bottom and it's deep blue water all the way down, then I'll start frickin' hyperventilating. I feel like I'm suspended there like bait, totally helpless and totally at the mercy of whatever denizen of the deep should choose to surge up beneath me and take a bite.

Curiously enough, I have no fear of heights.

brewha
03-07-2007, 08:48 AM
I have a fear of nothing.

For instance, I was swimming in the Gulf of Mexico and got quite a ways away from the beach. The water was really clear. I swam a few feet under water and opened my eyes. I saw nothing - and shit tons of it. I had at least 200' of visibility in all directions and there was nothing to be seen. It was like I was suspended in an abyss.

It freaked me out - I surfaced and swam as hard as I could to the shore.

after submiting - Holy crap Book Monster you're not the only one.

Clockwork And Candy
03-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Degaussing.

Everytime I turn on my computer monitor I cringe 'cos I just KNOW that this is going to the time it a'splodes in my face.

:/

Antigen
03-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Well, that's because there are no sharks and squids and creepy squishy things in the "heights".

Bibliovore
03-07-2007, 08:50 AM

For instance, I was swimming in the Gulf of Mexico and got quite a ways away from the beach. The water was really clear. I swam a few feet under water and opened my eyes. I saw nothing - and shit tons of it. I had at least 200' of visibility in all directions and there was nothing to be seen. It was like I was suspended in an abyss.

You Sir, are exceedingly odd. :D

Bibliovore
03-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Well, that's because there are no sharks and squids and creepy squishy things in the "heights".

This may also explain why I like mountains. :)

Hal Briston
03-07-2007, 09:24 AM
I have a spider phobia, which isn't at all unusual.Same here -- that's my perfectly rational fear.

My irrational fear is giant spiders. Say, Buick-sized or better.

Dung Beetle
03-07-2007, 09:24 AM
I feel like I'm suspended there like bait, totally helpless and totally at the mercy of whatever denizen of the deep should choose to surge up beneath me and take a bite.

True and rational, if'n ya ask me.

Litoris
03-07-2007, 09:56 AM
I am exceedingly claustrophobic, but that is grounded in a very real incident from my childhood and not irrational at all. Oddly enough, I LOVE spelunking, but only when I have the control of where we go -- if I can get in, I know that I can get out, kind of thing.

My only "irrational" fear is of cows. Bulls freak me out, but cows just scare the hell out of me. I think it is because they are so friggin huge, you know it wouldn't take much for one of them to kill you and they are so docile-seeming that most people do not practice caution around them. I know of 2 people who were killed by cows -- but funny enough, I have always been afraid of them, even before those 2 people were killed.

Cows are just scary things. Good thing they taste good, so they serve some purpose other than freaking me out.

Those are my only issues. I don't mind spiders, even after having been bitten by a brown recluse. I don't mind snakes (good thing I am not scared of them -- we live in the country, and I have almost stepped on a 6ft rattler before. Fear would have caused me to get bitten, as it happened, I looked down, saw it and backed away slowly before getting back in my car and running the fucker over.) I don't mind heights, needles or anything else, really. I am very easy-going.

brewha, I think your fear makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't consider it irrational, but then again, Idon't consider my fear of cows irrational, just everyone else who has heard me mention it does. :dubious:

Missy2U
03-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Escalators. I have anxiety issues every time I have to be on one.

Crowds. Panic ensues.

Car accidents. I hate being in cars and driving and being a passenger, and everything about it.

Something happening to my son. Stuff of nightmares.

I have issues.

nonacetone
03-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Midgets and suspension bridges.

Bobotheoptimist
03-07-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm afraid that it parties unknown get ahold of my fingernail clippings they will use them to make a voodoo doll of me (or something else equally wicked).That explains so much! :D

I don't like deep water, heights, substantial size variances between otherwise identical objects, or wide open space. None of these (except maybe the size thing) is really bad enough to be a "fear", so I'm not sure I should be allowed to play.

Kind of afraid of wolverines, I guess.

TroubleAgain
03-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Just the "normal" phobias, claustrophobia and acrophobia. And a whole mixed assortment of anxiety issues that aren't really phobias. Like Dung Beetle I have a "phone" thing, but it's not bad enough to be considered a phobia.

essell
03-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Elastic bands. If someone threatens me with one I have to grab it quick, or end up running away and / or curling up into an embarasing ball.

Also, bees and wasps cause an over-the-top reaction from me. Obviously it's not totally irrational coz they could sting me, but I'm dreadly terrified of them.

Conversly, I'm a clostraphile. (if that's a word). My party trick in the my old house was to hide in the tidy little cupboard where we kept the beer, and when someone opened it to grab a bottle, they'd do a double take as I look up at them then I'd close the door before they get any beer. Was most funny to see how many people were too weirded out to open the door again!

betenoir
03-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Fear of clowns is not irrational. Any sane person should be afraid of clowns. Clowns are evil. And bad, bad, bad bad. Run from clowns.

Me, I run from sucess. Been pretty good at it to the moment

Sucess is scary. Think I'll just put the blanket back over me head.

OBJECTION!!
03-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Deep Water.

If the bottom is a long way down, I'll get very, very nervous. If I can't even see the bottom and it's deep blue water all the way down, then I'll start frickin' hyperventilating. I feel like I'm suspended there like bait, totally helpless and totally at the mercy of whatever denizen of the deep should choose to surge up beneath me and take a bite.

Glad I'm not alone in this. Being in any water in which the bottom goes too far down to see, triggers an ingrained overwhelming fear of enormous carnivorous sea creatures in me. Back when I was a kid, this even prevented me from being the only person in a swimming pool, even though the bottom was clearly visible. It also used to prevent me from going to aquariums or even into deep water in video games (imagine my displeasure when the second Dark Ages of Camelot (http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/) expansion was revealed as Trials of Atlantis; ended my subscription to my favorite game at the time right quick) (also, I still adamantly REFUSE to go into deep water in the first Jak and Daxter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jak_and_Daxter:_The_Precursor_Legacy) game, because getting eaten by the lurker sharks is animated TERRIFYINGLY). Talk about 'irrational'.

MikeG
03-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Dropping my keys down the sewer.

scareyfaerie
03-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Ostriches. It's not exactly a fear but those creatures are vicious and there's just no reasoning with 'em.

Rushgeekgirl
03-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Sharp pointy objects. I've had this phobia since I was a child but it's gotten better. When I was younger I was certain I'd lose control and stab myself with a pencil or fork so I avoided them as much as possible. It made doing my schoolwork a nightmare. Now it's mostly limited to needles but I don't wash anything pointy in the sink and I avoid glass drinking glasses because they could break.

I also have a fear of planes crashing. I don't so much have a problem being in a plane, but I have had full-on panic attacks when I see one flying too low. If I'm already feeling anxious about something else just the sound of a low flying plane will set me off. It's just wonderful living so close to Fed-ex, I tell ya! With this phobia I know the source, as I've had nightmares about planes crashing (I'm always on the ground seeing it happen; occasionally I'll be driving and won't be able to stop driving toward the flames of the crash) for years.

ZipperJJ
03-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Latex balloons and pressure-sealed cans, a la Pilsbury biscuits.

I do not like to be faced with the idea of a sudden, inevitable popping noise.

The Chao Goes Mu
03-07-2007, 11:39 AM
The same abyssmal fear that Brewha and Book Monster described, as well as sharks. Now a fear of sharks may not seem all that irrational, until I tell you that I will not swim in the deep end of a swimming pool at night because I fear that by some unjustifiable means, a shark has entered the pool and is going to eat me from feet to head. I get squirmy in lakes and quarries too. Lakes, especially if the water is murky like it is in good ol' Lake Erie. When I watch Shark Week on discovery I must do so with my feet folded up under me on the couch, never dangling where the insipid Land Shark could chomp down on them.
Why do I watch Shark Week? To try to get over my stupid phobia.
It's not working though since I still will not go into the ocean. Ever.

Yes, I blame Jaws.

fuffle
03-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Everytime I turn on my computer monitor I cringe 'cos I just KNOW that this is going to the time it a'splodes in my face.

Huh. I thought I was the only one who thought this. I feel better.

Bambi Hassenpfeffer
03-07-2007, 11:59 AM
The weird one is my fear of high places because it's not really a fear of falling, it's a fear of flinging myself over the edge on purpose. I'm not suicidal at all, but every time I'm up on a bridge, I'm terrified that I'll run up to the edge and dive off.
Me too. The Empire State Building was easy, cause it was impossible to fling myself off of it, but elevated walkways or pedestrian bridges or tall anything has me afraid I'm just gonna walk to the edge and jump -- just to see what it feels like.

I'm not suicidal or anything, but I do suffer from somewhat poor impulse control.

taxi78cab
03-07-2007, 12:01 PM
:eek: Someone else said mine between the time I started typing and when I hit Preview?? ZipperJJ, I'm so glad to know someone shares my fear!

Balloons.

See, I'm terrified of loud noises. I know that noise can't hurt me, but I just freak out if I think there's even a chance of a sudden loud noise. (Only sudden noises. Loud music, jack hammering, etc. is ok because it's constant.) So I also am afraid of fireworks/firecrackers, guns, and really close thunder. But those I can avoid them in day-to-day life. Balloons are a little harder to avoid without looking like a freak for being afraid of a container of air. But they might pop. And that would be a sudden noise. And it freaks me right out to where I have to leave the room if a kid is playing with a balloon. :(

Oh and The Chao Goes Mu, I've started referring to it as the Quantum Shark. That's the shark that appears in a swimming pool through quantum tunneling. It doesn't stop me from swimming, but it does make me nervous about swimming alone.

Surly Chick
03-07-2007, 12:14 PM
My only "irrational" fear is of cows. <snip> I know of 2 people who were killed by cows -- but funny enough, I have always been afraid of them, even before those 2 people were killed.
I'm sorry, I know it's a hijack and probably not funny, but I must know how the cows killed your friends. (I know a friend of a friend that was killed by cow but it wasn't intentional - the cow was in the road and she hit it with her car. Its cowness was irrelevant. It could have been any large animal/thing.)

My irrational fear is of being kidnapped and having my hands and feet bound and my mouth taped shut. Just thinking about it can make me hyperventilate.

I'm sorry, I have to go find a paper bag now...

The Chao Goes Mu
03-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Here's another one. This kind of fear was mentioned in another thread several months ago. Let me see if I can describe it without collapsing in on myself.

Urk. Icebergs or any mass floating in water. Kind of like this (http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-1852124-iceberg-under-water-and-above-water.html) I can't be near it and there's no way in hell that I'd go under it. GAH!!
I do realize the above image is fake but it gets the point across.

At the local quarry that my friends and I go to, I get to cater to all three of my biggest fears. Sharks, because I'm in water and I'm crazy, the abyss, because this quarry has a sudden drop right of about 120 feet and if you want to get out to the rafts, you have to swim over the Big Nothing which you can clearly see because the water is crystal clear. Then as I approach the raft, I want to vomit because the raft is a Floating Mass. My plan of action is to swim very quickly right to the ladder and climb up it before my ticker gives out. If I jump off the raft I swim away from it. There can be no loitering in the water near that Damned Thing.

Oh yeah, and I hate heights too.

Litoris
03-07-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm sorry, I know it's a hijack and probably not funny, but I must know how the cows killed your friends. (I know a friend of a friend that was killed by cow but it wasn't intentional - the cow was in the road and she hit it with her car. Its cowness was irrelevant. It could have been any large animal/thing.)

To be fair, they weren't "friends" just people I knew of. Both of them died in the same incident. They owned cows and one of the cows had recently given birth. The two of them had gone to feed the herd and somehow had gotten between the mother and calf -- in a fit of cowrage, the cow attacked them and basically stomped their brains into the ground. It was a co-worker's aunt and cousin. He told me the story because he knows that I have always said "don't let the cows fool you, they'd kill you if they got the chance."

The thing is, cows weigh like a brazillian pounds -- if they get you on the ground, you're fuct. Honestly, I think I would feel safer in a cage full of hungry lions than in a 20 acre field inhabited by 3 cows.

Sal Ammoniac
03-07-2007, 12:34 PM
My irrational fear? That the appendix is the seat of reason.

Ellen Cherry
03-07-2007, 12:36 PM
I guess it's not totally irrational, since I could actually fall down them ... but I have a sort of out-of-proportion fear of some stairs where I work. They are concrete, steep, and have sharp metal plates on the edge of each step. I go up with no problems at all, but if I'm wearing even the most modest heel, when going down I grip the rail with a deadly force. I visualize my head splitting open on those steel edges and lying all broken and crumpled with my head twisted behind, Exorcist style, at the bottom.

Frequently, I take the elevator.

NinjaChick
03-07-2007, 01:05 PM
I was recently invited to go sailing this summer with some relatives, and I could barely contain my laughter. You could not possibly pay me enough money to go out sailing, on the ocean (well, Gulf), because it's a very simple fact in my mind: The ocean wants you dead. You can drown. You can freeze to death. You can get eaten by a shark. You can get stung to death by any number of frightening tentacled creatures. There are giant squid. There's so much water. You can go, and be thousands of miles away from anything that will support human life. There's seaweed, which we all know is like death's second cousin. Lakes, rivers, seas, and ponds and such are a bit better but not much. When I go to the beach I go to the beach and get sunburned, and shriek in horror if more than my feet get wet.

Also, it's fairly common knowledge that fish are the most horrifying creatures in the world.

taxi78cab
03-07-2007, 01:28 PM
This is so reassuring. I thought I was the only one with weird totally irrational fears. It's great just to know I'm not (entirely) crazy.

Achren
03-07-2007, 01:37 PM

after submiting - Holy crap Book Monster you're not the only one.

I'm not the only one! Mine has nothing to do with creatures of the deep - even watching that video where they show astronauts training in that huge pool makes me shudder. Ugh. I will say that I think I've got this fear because when I was 3 a neighbor girl of the same age drowned in a swimming class - I've always figured my parents freaked and the freakingness got transfered to me. I just do not like water.
Spider webs - not spiders, their webs. Makes the hair on my head stand up just thinking about it. I blame this on the webs that got built daily on my swingset. They just feel so icky! Similar problem with those tree worm things. Gah. Must go clean my mind out.

pinkfreud
03-07-2007, 01:39 PM
All my adult life I've been afraid that I would lose my teeth. My father lost all of his teeth at an early age, and I often have nightmares that my teeth are falling out or rotting away. I take good care of my teeth, and at the age of 59 I haven't lost one yet, but the fear persists.

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
03-07-2007, 01:41 PM
I was recently invited to go sailing this summer with some relatives, and I could barely contain my laughter.

Are you fearful regarding larger boats or ships? For instance, have you gone or would you go on a cruise?

Snarky_Kong
03-07-2007, 01:51 PM
All my adult life I've been afraid that I would lose my teeth. My father lost all of his teeth at an early age, and I often have nightmares that my teeth are falling out or rotting away. I take good care of my teeth, and at the age of 59 I haven't lost one yet, but the fear persists.

For a while I had dreams where I was biting down hard and my teeth would break. When I woke up I'd be freaked out that I was minus a few teeth. It's never been something I was afraid of longer then the first couple seconds after waking up.

Beadalin
03-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Fear of clowns is not irrational. Any sane person should be afraid of clowns. Clowns are evil. And bad, bad, bad bad. Run from clowns.
betenoir, I've got the tee shirt for you:
Fact: Clowns Eat People (http://www.randomshirts.com/products/tees/clowns.htm)

phall0106
03-07-2007, 02:28 PM
The deep water itself doesn't freak me out (I don't have any problem on boats, for example), but what's on the bottom that I can't see is what completely gives me the heeby-jeebies. I mean, who knows what's on the bottom? The thought of sinking in the water...::shudder::

I'm not to fond of heights either, especially when there's an edge. (I don't have any problems in buildings and looking out windows, for example.) This fear is partly because I'm a klutz and can only imagine myself stumbling and tumbling over the edge to my death.

gigi
03-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Revolving doors scare the crap out of me. I hate them and will avoid using them if at all possible.
That used to be one of mine, till I moved to New York and had to exit the subway through the revolving doors that look like egg slicers. I got over it to avoid being trampled or pummeled.

I am afraid of the inside of toilet tanks.

I hate the feeling of flour on my hands.

gigi
03-07-2007, 04:26 PM
betenoir, I've got the tee shirt for you:
Fact: Clowns Eat People (http://www.randomshirts.com/products/tees/clowns.htm)Holy shit. I think you just found the perfect gift for a friend of mine.

Dunawake
03-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Deep Water.

Interestingly, I sort of share this one. I love diving and snorkeling, but only in cases where I can see the ocean bottom. If not the ocean bottom, at least some sort of reference point like an anchor chain. I'm not so bad that I start panicking or anything, I just feel intensely uncomfortable.

If I had to guess, I think it has a lot in common with agoraphobia.

And count me as another person who has a bad phobia of stinging insects. Normal bees who just go about their business are generally fine, but yellow jackets, hornets, wasps, etc.... Well, I imagine people get very amused seeing me run a few feet to the left apparently randomly while walking around outside.

I swear, they follow me!

Dunawake
03-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Okay, and for the more irrational fear...I absolutely hate the feeling of Nerf foam on my skin. It's like the tactile equivalent of nails on a chalkboard to me.

Spice Weasel
03-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Okay, and for the more irrational fear...I absolutely hate the feeling of Nerf foam on my skin. It's like the tactile equivalent of nails on a chalkboard to me.

Wow. I think you win!

I am irrationally and utterly terrified of mold and spoiled food. I can't clean out the refrigerator by myself, and right now the knowledge that there might be something bad in there is driving me up the wall. The other day I was desperately hungry and had to check some cucumbers for soft spots... my hands were literally SHAKING as I opened the bag. I am aware this is not rational. I have no explanation for it. Mold is terrifying and evil and wants to hurt me. End.

MadPansy64
03-07-2007, 05:13 PM
I have rational fears by the truckload.

My only irrational fear is those uppy-down bridges. The ones that break in the middle to let a tall boat go underneath. I can't even watch one on TV without breaking into a sweat. I have never seen one IRL, I don't remember ever hearing of any horrible disaster involving one, but seeing one freaks me right the hell out, to the point I refuse to make any effort what so ever to find out their real name -- google might have a picture, don'cha know?

I get a little twitchy even typing about the damn things.

Dr. Woo
03-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Fish.
I'm not really really scared of them, but just being scared of harmless fish strikes me as irrational. I'm not talking about sharks or barracudas or stuff that can really hurt you - of course those concern me. No, I'm talking about the regular old workaday fishy fish that swim around you when you're snorkeling or swimming in the ocean. I still like snorkeling, but I do like to have a buddy close by.

I'm also afraid of open ocean when I'm actually in it (as opposed to being on even a small boat - then it's okay).

Bambi Hassenpfeffer
03-07-2007, 07:25 PM
I have rational fears by the truckload.

My only irrational fear is those uppy-down bridges. The ones that break in the middle to let a tall boat go underneath. I can't even watch one on TV without breaking into a sweat. I have never seen one IRL, I don't remember ever hearing of any horrible disaster involving one, but seeing one freaks me right the hell out, to the point I refuse to make any effort what so ever to find out their real name -- google might have a picture, don'cha know?

I get a little twitchy even typing about the damn things.
Drawbridges (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nashvillemike/81827828/). You'd never make it around here -- we're lousy with the things.

Delly
03-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Like The Chao Goes Mu, my irrational fear is icebergs, now Ive never seen any in real life but that picture freaks me out and always has.

A friend of mine has an irrational fear of the police - it stems from when she was little her parents would say if your bold the gaurds will take you away. it obviously stuck because the girl hyperventilates any time she sees a gaurd and cannot serve them in the shop where we work!

My sister had a friend whos father used to tell her to run and hide whenever the doorbell rang, he was only joking but the girl has issues answering the door now and shes in her late 20's!

MadPansy64
03-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Drawbridges (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nashvillemike/81827828/). You'd never make it around here -- we're lousy with the things.
I didn't click, so neener-neener. :D

Drawbridges? Like on castles? That just ain't right! The evil 2-sided ones should have a much scarier name, reflecting their evil scariness, instead of quaint bridge-that-turns-into-a-doorness.

zelie zelerton
03-07-2007, 08:19 PM
As a child I used to be fearful of lifts. It wasn't claustrophobia it was about that feeeeeeling you get. You know that lurch and then that strange feeling? I couldn't bear it. It just felt bigger when I was small. I barely even notice it now and I'll happily use lifts.

These days I hate having the doorbell ring. Doesn't matter if I know it's a friend or the postman, my heart still pounds and I go to full alert. Not sure why.

And not a phobia exactly but I can't bear to get my hands wet in the rain. Other body parts wet in the rain? Fine. Hands wet in other circumstances? Fine. Hands wet in the rain? *shudder and hunch inside sleeves*

CaerieD
03-07-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm terrified of going up stairs in the dark. Going down them in the dark doesn't bother me, but for some reason I imagine I'm going to be going up the stairs to my place one of these days and someone is going to pop out at the top and knock me down backwards.

Often times when I imagine this scenario in my mind, the person at the top of the stairs is very, very small, like a particularly sadistic child or maybe a gnome.

I think I'm a sane and rational person aside from this, though.

Anne Neville
03-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Needles. If I have to get a shot or have blood drawn (and this usually means there's a decent chance I will die or be permanently disabled if I don't), I cry and shake. I'm anxious and upset for several days beforehand, and borderline hysterical for the rest of the day after it happens. I can't imagine how people who go to get (say) a flu shot on their lunch break do it. I can't watch someone in a movie or on TV get a shot, either.

I'm terrified of finding out anything that could, possibly, be bad news. Right now, I'm terrified to go and get my mail, because the results of my latest pap smear might be there, and something might be wrong (Nothing ever has been in the past, and there's no particular reason for me to worry, but since when has that ever stopped an irrational fear?) When I was in school, I was always similarly fearful about getting my grades. I'm afraid when I get bills- what if I've charged more on my credit card than I thought I have, and I can't pay it? I'm always scared when I log into online banking to pay bills, too- what if there's been some sort of computer problem at the bank, or what if someone has somehow gotten into our checking account and cleaned it out? We're waiting on a job offer for Mr. Neville to be confirmed, so now I'm afraid to check my e-mail, too- what if that new message I've got is from him, saying it's fallen through? I go to full alert when the phone rings, too...

I can't do a lot of things if someone's watching me while I do.

I'm afraid of any high place where I could fall over the edge, or where I could suddenly be seized with an uncontrollable urge to fling myself over the edge. I'm a klutz, too, and maybe that has something to do with it.

bbs2k
03-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Also I work in a Blood Bank, and there is an instrument used to separate portions of the blood in plastic tubing for testing purposes. And it freaks me out even though it is a small and harmless device. The first time I used it, it malfunctioned and burned/blew up the tubing causing a little bit of blood to splurt everywhere. And ever since I have been weary.Here is a picture (http://www.murphyauctions.net/images/xcyte2/2117.jpg) of the instrument I was talking about, and that Antigen was nice enough to defend my phobia for. It only looks harmless.

fachverwirrt
03-07-2007, 09:42 PM
I don't think I really have any irrational fears, but my wife is deathly afraid of earthworms.

purple haze
03-07-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm afraid of standing next to the ocean and having a huge wave wash ashore, sucking me out to sea.

delphica
03-07-2007, 10:42 PM
The first word I had to say when answering was "Diagnostic", and the first syllable of Diagnostic is "Die", which is what I wished people would do instead of calling me, so that's how I remembered what I was supposed to say. Now, a few thousand phone calls later, I'm not afraid to use the phone anymore.

I really admire the way you think. I don't have a fear of phones, but if I ever develop one, I'll know now how to work around it.

I'm deathly afraid of eels. They're just so ... floppy, and they don't have limbs. That's just wrong. An eel could come right up to me and flop against me (at which point I would drop dead of fear and grossness).

I'm not, however, afraid of snakes, even though they are floppy and don't have limbs. They're supposed to be that way. On the other hand, I am also afraid of things that look like snakes but are actually leg-less lizards. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT? Either be a snake or get some legs like a normal lizard, freak. Gah. Maybe I am afraid of taxonomy.

Moving on, I have a phobia about being in a fire and having my contact lenses melt onto my eyeballs. I read about this in the 5th grade in some fire safety booklet that pointed out that a fire can be so hot that contact lenses melt (in other words, it was a booklet for 5th graders so who knows if it is common or even true). I am putting this in the irrational fear category, because it's beyond the normal "gee, a fire would be scary" thoughts. I don't sit around thinking about how horrible it would be to be burned (although it would be horrible), I'm stuck on the contact lens issue. Every single time I see a heat source (like turning on a stove burner), I think "wow, I hope this doesn't start a fire that melts my contact lenses to my eyeballs."

Anne Neville
03-07-2007, 11:13 PM
I have a phobia about being in a fire and having my contact lenses melt onto my eyeballs. I read about this in the 5th grade in some fire safety booklet that pointed out that a fire can be so hot that contact lenses melt (in other words, it was a booklet for 5th graders so who knows if it is common or even true).

Good news- Snopes says it's false (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/cornea.asp). And more than that:

Not only haven't such accidents happened, nearly every reputable medical and industrial source in the field says they couldn't happen

CanvasShoes
03-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Spiders. I know it's stupid, but I am absolutely terrified of them. I can't even bring myself to touch a dead one. (dead ones included being the irrational part!)

Also, electricity. As far as I'm concerned, everything is a capacitor. I can get shocked for what seems like no apparent reason. That one is really dumb. I mean, it's not as if I'm going to try and change out a light fixture without turning off the breaker, but darned if I don't manage to get zapped from time to time!

Surly Chick
03-08-2007, 06:09 AM
To be fair, they weren't "friends" just people I knew of. Both of them died in the same incident. They owned cows and one of the cows had recently given birth. The two of them had gone to feed the herd and somehow had gotten between the mother and calf -- in a fit of cowrage, the cow attacked them and basically stomped their brains into the ground. It was a co-worker's aunt and cousin. He told me the story because he knows that I have always said "don't let the cows fool you, they'd kill you if they got the chance."
How sad. That's a very moooooooooo-ving story. :p

The Chao Goes Mu
03-08-2007, 06:40 AM
What is with the fear of losing impulse control and flinging oneself off of a cliff or the like? I'm asking because it seems to be a common impulse. Dare I admit I've been terrified, myself, of taking a fit and hurling myself ass over teeth off a bridge.
:confused:

I'm a kayaker and two things scare me when I'm out on the river. You'd think it would be drowning or out of control rapids (I have a touring kayak so wild rapids=death). I fear, sharks. Yes, again with my irrational fear of sharks.
Now when my partner is out with me she refuses to kayak underneath a bridge. She goes full-on panicky when we approach one. She will not go under, we have to turn around. Now, I've tried to help her with this fear to no avail. I do understand it somewhat because even though I can and will paddle under them, it creeps me out. The hair on my head stands up and I can't explain exactly what the fear is. It's just fear.
Now if I was swimming and there was a bridge, (no matter how high up) I most likely would not go under it. Nope. If I did I would close my eyes and swim to beat hell.

Shirley Ujest
03-08-2007, 07:22 AM
I use to be pretty leery about the Cosmetic Nazi Androids at the make up counters at Every Hoity Toity Store in the malls.

I'm over that now, but it took years to make me nearly not sprint past them.

Now, it pretty much boils down to answering the phone at my minimum wage job and taking cake orders.

This stems from the fact I have never received proper training in how to do it and I fear farking up in some colassal manner.

I would also like to state that I have a massive fear of writing on cakes with icing. My hand writing is craptacular and every time I write " Happy Birthday Snodley" I just know Snodley's mother is going to chuck the cake right into my face.

Bobotheoptimist
03-08-2007, 09:30 AM
The scent in the air this morning, as the snow is finally melting and temps are rising, remembered me another one - Spring. Spring scares the livin' bejezus out of me. The whole first part, up until things settle down in mid April, is freaky.

I suspect I know how Linden Avery felt under a fertile sun (Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant)

Ellen Cherry
03-08-2007, 11:00 AM
I just saw on CNN a report of a new glass-bottom platform that has been built out over the Grand Canyon -- and KNEW that this would be the place to tell everyone! :p

gigi
03-08-2007, 11:37 AM
What is with the fear of losing impulse control and flinging oneself off of a cliff or the like? I'm asking because it seems to be a common impulse. Dare I admit I've been terrified, myself, of taking a fit and hurling myself ass over teeth off a bridge.I thought it was your brain dealing with fear by imagining the very worst that could happen, and then drawing back from that to show that it didn't happen and you can control it.

I have another one; if I go potty with the lights on, I don't have it. But if I go potty with the lights off I imagine some creature coming out of the toilet and latching on to my nether regions with big teeth. :eek:

zelie zelerton
03-08-2007, 11:43 AM
You know, once I started thinking about this I discovered that I'm a total freak with dozens of irrational fears. :)

I am psyched out by train stations. All that coming and going and hustling and bustling. Signs and announcements everywhere and people rushing all over. Not to mention that everyone seems to know exactly where they are going and I tend not to. Plus you gotta keep checking the time to make sure you get to the right place at the right time. Way too much sensory overload for me and oddly enough I'm quite happy with airports or bus stations.

And the feet-eating monster. I've posted elsewhere on this so I'll keep it short. But basically I can't have my feet unsupervised without feeling anxious. It all stems from hearing a song about snakes at the bottom of the bed when I was a child. Now I can't sleep unless my feet are all wrapped up and protected from attacks by things which might eat them. So even in the hottest weather I'll have to have a sheet or something wrapped around my feet (cos obviously feet-eating monsters are defeated by hi-tech solutions such as a couple of millimetres of cotton).

There was something else too but I forget what.

gigi
03-08-2007, 12:57 PM
So even in the hottest weather I'll have to have a sheet or something wrapped around my feet (cos obviously feet-eating monsters are defeated by hi-tech solutions such as a couple of millimetres of cotton).Hee. My brother and I both feel like we are open to being stabbed in the belly if we sleep without a sheet on. Same deal, what would a sheet really do for you?!

The Chao Goes Mu
03-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Hee. My brother and I both feel like we are open to being stabbed in the belly if we sleep without a sheet on. Same deal, what would a sheet really do for you?!

Well, let me tell you. When an animal, real or the fluffy stuffed variety is not available, a bedsheet is your armor against boogeyman attacks.
Although, sometimes, even when your two huge dogs and 4 cats are curled up in protective formation, you still need the Egyptian Cotton Armor.

It's good stuff, it protects agains the boogeyman and even thunderclaps and lightning strikes.

awldune
03-08-2007, 01:59 PM
IMO it is perfectly rational to fear bees, spiders, and snakes. But I don't have any problem with those. I fear grasshoppers and katydids. My fear is that they'll jump on to me and.... I don't know and I don't want to know.

I also have an overwhelming loathing for roaches, but doesn't everyone?

gigi
03-08-2007, 02:35 PM
two huge dogs and 4 cats are curled up in protective formation :) I only ever toy hypothetically with the idea of a pet, but this description makes me a tiny bit closer to really considering it.

Tikki
03-08-2007, 02:44 PM
I have a weird fear of getting zapped in the eye by a static shock. Of course, the chances of this happening are gazillion to one. Maybe even ten gazillion to one. But, what if it did? Could I go blind? Would my vision be damaged? I particularly worry about it when getting clothes out of the dryer. My eyes get so close to the dryer's metal frame when reaching inside that 15 million volts could easily bridge the gap if they so desired.

I'm afraid of standing next to the ocean and having a huge wave wash ashore, sucking me out to sea.

I nearly drowned when this happened to me when I was a kid. But TikkiDad quickly dove in and saved me. I think the incident had more of an effect on TikkiDad than me. Even now, some 40 years later, he will keep an eye out for the kids playing along the shore when we go to an ocean beach.

Oddly, I still love going to the ocean. In fact, one of the these days I'd like to go back the the beach where I nearly lost my life.

gigi
03-08-2007, 03:06 PM
I have a weird fear of getting zapped in the eye by a static shock. Of course, the chances of this happening are gazillion to one. Maybe even ten gazillion to one. But, what if it did? Could I go blind? Would my vision be damaged? I particularly worry about it when getting clothes out of the dryer. My eyes get so close to the dryer's metal frame when reaching inside that 15 million volts could easily bridge the gap if they so desired.I've mentioned this one before, but I have to avert my eyes and shut them tightly when closing a three-ring binder. Something about that little claw shutting so abruptly, and my eye being only feet away...

zelie zelerton
03-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Oh and I'm nervous of strange people touching my head. So that's a fear of hairdressers, opticians and dentists then. Which is odd cos I love having people play with my hair if I know them.

And then there's the thing where I have to check the underside of the loo seat in case there's an insect there.

I'm sure I'll be back to this thread.... :)

Dung Beetle
03-08-2007, 03:31 PM
My husband and I run home at lunch to eat a sandwich and watch a little TV, and today we ran across this thing on the Discovery Channel where this guy was having eye surgery. He had the eye clamps like from a Clockwork Orange, and then the surgeon made marks directly on his eyeball with this special ink (neato!), and then the surgeon put this metal plate over the guy's eye socket that had a hole in it so only the eyeball poked through, and then they showed us this instrument they were going to use that looked like a tiny cheese slicer, and then my husband changed the channel because I was bouncing around and hollering so much. :)

gigi
03-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Someone on the boards told about someone they knew who had some tiny metal or something stuck in their eye and then they had to sit there awake, with their eyeball completely still while the doc drilled into it. :eek:

SpartanDC
03-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Everytime I go to a sporting event, there are invariably people throwing around a football in the parking lot.

And everytime I go to a sporting event, I am terrified that one of those footballs is going to hit me square in the face. If I walk between two people tossing around the pigskin, I'm either doing it very fast, my eyes darting from one side to another, or I don't do that and I flinch, visibly, when I see a football in the corner of my eye.

I think all my other fears are fairly rational or at least commonplace: midgets, rats, heights (though I did skydive once) etc.

Litoris
03-08-2007, 04:37 PM
It seems that a lot of the answers aren't so much what I would consider irrational fears as things that creep you out.
Apples. The texture of them Squicks. Me. Out. I have a lot of foods I can't eat because of their texture but the thought of apples makes me gag.
People touching my hands. I am not a germophobe, I can handle people touching me anywhere else. Just not my hands.*
The sound of any buzzing insect. This is actually rooted in the fact that I was stung about 100 times by a nest of yellow jackets once. It sucked.
Getting out of the shower and not having lotion. If I don't put lotion on my hands immediately after bathing/washing it drives me nuts.

Wow, just a partial list, but still....

*As an aside, if I initiate the hand-to-hand contact, then it's ok. I really have to psyche myself up to shake hands with people. I don't even like my own kids touching my hands. It just totally makes me cringe. Funny thing is, it isn't a germ issue. I mean, I am ok with people touching my face, hair, arms, legs, feet, chit, even my boobs wouldn't bother me as much as my hands. My husband likes my idea of starting a movement to grab boobs rather than shake hands. :D

Kalhoun
03-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Everytime I go to a sporting event, there are invariably people throwing around a football in the parking lot.

And everytime I go to a sporting event, I am terrified that one of those footballs is going to hit me square in the face. If I walk between two people tossing around the pigskin, I'm either doing it very fast, my eyes darting from one side to another, or I don't do that and I flinch, visibly, when I see a football in the corner of my eye.

I think all my other fears are fairly rational or at least commonplace: midgets, rats, heights (though I did skydive once) etc.
Oh...I love midgets! It's almost an obsession. I'm with you on the rats and heights though. I used to be fine with heights, but my "maximum high" gets lower every year.

I don't know if this is an irrational fear, necessarily, but I have recurring dreams of my hair and teeth falling out, "radiation poisoning" style. I just had one the other night. :eek:

Barking Dog
03-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Aside from arthropods and deep water, both of which I consider quite rational really, I'll have to say gas-powered barbeque grills. Every time I go to light one of those bad boys I just know that it's going to e'splode, throwing flaming chunks of me into the neighbour's yard. I haven't been able to to so much as go near one since the last time, when I got distracted when lighting it. The gas had built up a bit and when I'd stuck my handy-dandy flaming piece of paper inside the grate, there was a decent fireball that enveloped my hand! Nothing but some singed arm hair, but still. I want nothing more to do with those things, no sir.

Anne Neville
03-08-2007, 11:01 PM
My husband and I run home at lunch to eat a sandwich and watch a little TV, and today we ran across this thing on the Discovery Channel where this guy was having eye surgery. He had the eye clamps like from a Clockwork Orange, and then the surgeon made marks directly on his eyeball with this special ink (neato!), and then the surgeon put this metal plate over the guy's eye socket that had a hole in it so only the eyeball poked through, and then they showed us this instrument they were going to use that looked like a tiny cheese slicer, and then my husband changed the channel because I was bouncing around and hollering so much. :)

*faints*

Mr Neville would have had to change the channel really soon after they started showing eye surgery. I'd be squicked out of existence by it, and might very well throw up.

Bobotheoptimist
03-08-2007, 11:10 PM
My husband and I run home at lunch to eat a sandwich and watch a little TV, You've either been married too long, or are skipping something ;) and today we ran across this thing on the Discovery Channel where this guy was having eye surgery. He had the eye clamps like from a Clockwork Orange, and then the surgeon made marks directly on his eyeball with this special ink (neato!), and then the surgeon put this metal plate over the guy's eye socket that had a hole in it so only the eyeball poked through, and then they showed us this instrument they were going to use that looked like a tiny cheese slicerI had a video of that being done to my own eye! I don't know where the video might be (I have a suspicion the lovely badkitty tossed it after one viewing)

Being on the other end of that was very much like I expect an alien abduction (sans anal probe) might go.

Dung Beetle
03-09-2007, 06:53 AM
You've either been married too long, or are skipping something ;) Nah, we used to do the lunchtime quickie, but we live a little further away from work now so we don't have quite enough time. :)

I had a video of that being done to my own eye! I don't know where the video might be (I have a suspicion the lovely badkitty tossed it after one viewing)

Being on the other end of that was very much like I expect an alien abduction (sans anal probe) might go.
You know, the main thing that struck me while watching that show (besides the ew! ew! ew!) was the thought of how difficult it must be for eye surgeons to have to get past the ew! ew! ew! and actually slice into an eyeball. Poor things.

phall0106
03-09-2007, 07:24 AM
I just saw on CNN a report of a new glass-bottom platform that has been built out over the Grand Canyon -- and KNEW that this would be the place to tell everyone! :p
No freaking way. Not for a bizillion dollars.

Kalhoun
03-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Someone on the boards told about someone they knew who had some tiny metal or something stuck in their eye and then they had to sit there awake, with their eyeball completely still while the doc drilled into it. :eek:
I had a nasty eye injury when I was pregnant and had to remain awake while they sewed my eyelid back on and stuck a probe into my tearduct to unblock it. Pretty freaky, to say the least.

you with the face
03-09-2007, 08:15 AM
My irrational fear is that if I don't walk through the turnstile thingy at the metro fast enough, the little gate flap thingies will clamp down on my thighs and cause me pain.

Ellen Cherry
03-09-2007, 08:33 AM
My irrational fear is that if I don't walk through the turnstile thingy at the metro fast enough, the little gate flap thingies will clamp down on my thighs and cause me pain.

That actually happened to me once, at Kings Island when I was about 12. I had the most hellacious bruise on my thigh. It was enormous and deep, hideous purple. It the proceeded to turn every color of the rainbow, which sort of made up for the excruciating agony of the actual injury.

Slypork
03-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Iím afraid of medium heights. I repelled off a 300 foot cliff and jumped out of a helicopter into a lake. I rode one of those ďreverse-bungee cordĒ rides that launches you into the air. But Iím almost pant-wetting terrified of being on a ladder that is more than a step stool. I hate climbing a ladder to clean my gutters. Iím afraid that I will fall off and not die, just be paralyzed from the eyebrows down.

I also have an irrational fear that I will lose my mind. Sometimes when Iím trying to go to sleep and random thoughts go bouncing around in my head, Iím sure that it is the beginnings of dementia or schizophrenia or something.

WOOKINPANUB
03-09-2007, 10:36 AM
IMO it is perfectly rational to fear bees, spiders, and snakes. But I don't have any problem with those. I fear grasshoppers and katydids. My fear is that they'll jump on to me and.... I don't know and I don't want to know.

I also have an overwhelming loathing for roaches, but doesn't everyone?

(bolding mine) You'd think, wouln't you, but here in Florida where the bugs are as big as Volkswagons, I know plenty of people who aren't phased by them. Me, I completely freak if I see one, live or dead. I see those greasy brown bodies and I absolutely can not supress a 1950's horror movie style screech. To the point where I've knocked on the doors of neighbors I've never met to ask them to kill them for me. I've gotten to where I can dispose of a dead one, after a few beers and much mental preparation, but if a live one is on the ceiling or somewhere the stream of bug spray can't reach, I run away leaving a WOOKINPANUB shaped hole in the wall.

I just discovered a new one the other night. I went to my very first hockey game and the whole time I imagined the sensation of the puck hitting me in the mouth. By the end of the game I realized my jaws ached from clenching my teeth.

Oh, and certain buildings. This (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://sidesalad.net/archives/TampaSkylineBuildingsStormClouds.jpg&imgrefurl=http://sidesalad.net/archives/002887.html&h=300&w=399&sz=27&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=scOV8x9baEpQIM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbeer%2Bcan%2Bbuilding%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den) one freaks me out so much I got a little woozy just linking to that picture.

Cowboy8467
03-09-2007, 10:48 AM

Yea, I don't know that that fear is all that irrational. I've been caught by those turnstiles and those bloody things do not retract when they hit you. I too have gotten bruises.. :smack:

gigi
03-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Oh, and certain buildings. This (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://sidesalad.net/archives/TampaSkylineBuildingsStormClouds.jpg&imgrefurl=http://sidesalad.net/archives/002887.html&h=300&w=399&sz=27&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=scOV8x9baEpQIM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbeer%2Bcan%2Bbuilding%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den) one freaks me out so much I got a little woozy just linking to that picture.I get freaked out by buildings that have the first few floors made up of just the support beams, and many full stories above that. Creeps me out even though the rational side says the engineers probably know what they're doing.

Labtrash
03-09-2007, 11:30 AM
The garbage disposal.

I swear to the almighty that I could turn off the switch, open the breaker, shut power to the house, the block, my town, or the entire frakking power grid on the East Coast, and it will STILL turn on and grind my fingers into handburger as soon as I stick my hand down through those slimy plastic teeth.

And clowns.

WOOKINPANUB
03-09-2007, 12:13 PM
The garbage disposal.

I swear to the almighty that I could turn off the switch, open the breaker, shut power to the house, the block, my town, or the entire frakking power grid on the East Coast, and it will STILL turn on and grind my fingers into handburger as soon as I stick my hand down through those slimy plastic teeth.

And clowns.

Handburger! :p

Anne Neville
03-09-2007, 11:37 PM
What is with the fear of losing impulse control and flinging oneself off of a cliff or the like? I'm asking because it seems to be a common impulse. Dare I admit I've been terrified, myself, of taking a fit and hurling myself ass over teeth off a bridge.

Edgar Allan Poe called it "the imp of the perverse" (http://www.kingkong.demon.co.uk/gsr/impperve.htm). At least we know we're not the first ones to have it...

You know, the main thing that struck me while watching that show (besides the ew! ew! ew!) was the thought of how difficult it must be for eye surgeons to have to get past the ew! ew! ew! and actually slice into an eyeball. Poor things.

I went to a summer science day camp once, and they threatened to make us dissect a sheep's eye if we didn't behave.

The garbage disposal.

All electrical things can still get you, even if you did shut off the entire power grid to the world. I'm not sure how they could, but they could.

The rm command in Unix can do something similar. No matter how careful you think you're being, it can still bite you in the ass and delete something important that you didn't mean to delete.

Captain_C
03-10-2007, 01:27 AM
I have a friend who will start hyperventilating and screaming if he touches foam. He was in a terrible car accident, and when he woke up in the hosipital he was being held down with restraints due to a broken neck. The mattress and insides of the restraints were made of foam, and he hasn't been able to stand the texture of it since.

Surly Chick
03-10-2007, 09:21 AM
<snip>The sound of any buzzing insect. This is actually rooted in the fact that I was stung about 100 times by a nest of yellow jackets once. It sucked.
Then you won't want to click on this (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=385303&highlight=Mighty+Lonk) link. er, I mean lonk.

Savannah
03-10-2007, 11:33 AM
My husband and I run home at lunch to eat a sandwich and watch a little TV, and today we ran across this thing on the Discovery Channel where this guy was having eye surgery. He had the eye clamps like from a Clockwork Orange, and then the surgeon made marks directly on his eyeball with this special ink (neato!), and then the surgeon put this metal plate over the guy's eye socket that had a hole in it so only the eyeball poked through, and then they showed us this instrument they were going to use that looked like a tiny cheese slicer, and then my husband changed the channel because I was bouncing around and hollering so much. :) You don't want to hear all about my eye surgeries for retinal tears, either the laser variety or the freezing variety. I'm proud that I just lived through them. :)

Jake
03-10-2007, 01:39 PM
No freaking way. Not for a bizillion dollars.
Not for 2 biazillon dollars!
Potato bugs scare the hell out of me. Especially stepping on them. I just know their spudletts are going to extract vengance upon me.

Sticks and Scones
03-10-2007, 02:22 PM
I feel that this thread is a place of unity. All of us realizing that we are not alone in our irrational fears.

Antigen, I'm with you and the rest of the 'flingers.' I always have to stay aways back from the edge, just in case.

Also, there's this small issue of the Incredible Hulk. No, I am NOT afraid of the Incredible Hulk. I am afraid of that moment when the human is transforming into the hulk. I always run from the room, ever since I was a child. :eek: