PDA

View Full Version : Cook! Where's my Hossenfeffer?

CJJ*
04-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Please forgive me being a little cryptic in the OP below; the reasons will become clear if you read on. Also please read the entire post before responding....

When going to lunch at Chipotle today, I saw this on a sign with a picture of a burrito sketched to look like a bunny. The sign ended with a tag line something like "That's our way of telling you we're not open on Easter sunday."

Now, I know exactly what this is referring to, but it got me to thinking that if you didn't grow up with the source for this every single day as a kid, you might not know what it means. And my understanding is that soon after I left that phase of my life, kids entertainment options exploded to the point where they had a lot of other pop-culture options.

So, strictly in order to see if the source for this quote still permeates pop culture the way it did when I was a wee one, I wonder if anyone reading this could take a moment to say whether or not they "get" this little joke, and post their age as well? My suspicion is you have to be over, say, 30 to know what this means.

At some point we'll have to let the cat out of the bag, though I bet a quick Google will satisfy most folks curiosity. I'd humbly ask no one give the answer away here for at least 24 hrs., just to get a few responses.

This maybe should be in MPSIMS, but it is pop-culture, so I'm trying here first. Mods, feel free to move it if you need to

mobo85
04-04-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm 21. I get the joke in the thread title, but I don't get the joke of the sign itself. Are they from the same source?

jsc1953
04-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Ditto. I'm 53...I get the reference in the thread title, but don't see the connection to the Chipotle sign (or get the joke in the sign). Maybe you had to be there.

ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness
04-04-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm 41. I don't get it.

Diogenes the Cynic
04-04-2007, 04:39 PM
I get it. I'm 41.

mobo85
04-04-2007, 04:40 PM
My mistake- your OP was very poorly written. I'm guessing the drawing doesn't have anything to do with the joke. It didn't click until I read "I saw this on a sign..." What you're trying to say is that the sign read:

Cook! Where's my Hossenfeffer?
(picture of a rabbit-shaped burrito)
That's our way of telling you we're not open on Easter Sunday.

Antinor01
04-04-2007, 04:41 PM
31, I don't get it.

BrainGlutton
04-04-2007, 04:46 PM
BTW, it's spelled "hasenpfeffer." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hassenpfeffer)

I assumed this would be a recipe thread.

Manduck
04-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Shouldn't it be hasenpfeffer? Whatever it is, I don't get it.

mobo85
04-04-2007, 04:48 PM
BTW, it's spelled "hasenpfeffer." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hassenpfeffer)

This link gives the answer, so be careful! Since the beans have already been spilled:

It's a reference to Shiskabugs, a 1962 Bugs Bunny cartoon

Astroboy14
04-04-2007, 04:50 PM
41, and I get it. I even get the burrito dressed up like a bunny; in an abstract sort of way it makes sense.

Swallowed My Cellphone
04-04-2007, 04:57 PM
This link gives the answer, so be careful! Since the beans have already been spilled:

It's a reference to Shiskabugs, a 1962 Bugs Bunny cartoonOh, so I did get it. 30s here. I thought the joke would be less obvious.

Then again, we used to have a cat named Hasenpfeffer, so maybe it's just really obvious to me.

Ike Witt
04-04-2007, 05:02 PM
I get the reference in the thread title, but don't see the connection to the Chipotle sign (or get the joke in the sign). Maybe you had to be there.
Moi aussi.

Kamino Neko
04-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Ditto. I'm 53...I get the reference in the thread title, but don't see the connection to the Chipotle sign (or get the joke in the sign). Maybe you had to be there.

This was my reaction, too. But rereading the OP, I think the quote was on the sign, as well as the burrito-bunny.

I still don't know why Chipotle thought that combining the line with a picture of a burrito-bunny would be funny*, but I think I've at least figured out why the OP brought the line up.

*Even if the burrito-bunny looks like Bugs, I don't get why burrito-bunny bears any connection to the cartoon, to even make someone come up with both together.

Khampelf
04-04-2007, 05:16 PM
I got it. I'm 38.

If I didn't know this was hasenpfeffer, I'd swear it was carrots.

The Scrivener
04-04-2007, 05:24 PM
I got it, but I originally thought the OPer was fishing to see if we knew what "Hasenpfeffer" is.

Either way, now I've got an Ohrwurm in my head. It's of Elmer Fudd singing, "Kill de wabbit, kill de wabbit..." :D

tomh987
04-04-2007, 06:07 PM
35 here, I got it. I haven't thought of that in years. As soon as I saw the thread title, I started giggling inside.

Skywatcher
04-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Almost 39 here, got the reference but not why Chipotle would be using it with a burrito bunny.

divemaster
04-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Instant recognition to the source of the quote. Thanks for the smile!

I'm 38

Gr8Kat
04-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Got it :)

I'm 33.

Shagnasty
04-04-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm 33 and I get it. For some reason, that pops into my mind every few months.

Hal Briston
04-04-2007, 07:38 PM
39, got it instantly, but now I'm going to have to go and double-check -- I could've sworn it was "Chef!", not "Cook!".

Hal Briston
04-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Ok, I was wrong, everyone else is right.

"Cook! Where's my hasenpfeffer?" -- 74 Results
"Chef! Where's my hasenpfeffer?" -- 0 Results

Morbo
04-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Instantly recognizable. I'm 37.

I didn't even know it was a real food until this thread, but then I couldn't cook my own ass if I fell into a river of lava.

FordPrefect
04-04-2007, 08:23 PM
36 - got it too.

carlb
04-04-2007, 08:35 PM
39. Got it right away.

BrainGlutton
04-04-2007, 08:47 PM
43. I recognized the thread title but did not realize how that was the answer to the OP (see post #6).

Kythereia
04-04-2007, 08:49 PM
20 going on 21. Completely mystified (haven't cheated or Googled).

OpalCat
04-04-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm 35. It just made me think if Laverne & Shirley. Sorry :/

Stuffy
04-04-2007, 08:50 PM
38, knew it right off.

Wile E
04-04-2007, 09:08 PM
In my 40's. I thought I knew the reference but wasn't 100% sure. I was also a bit confused by the phrasing of the OP and I thought I had missed something.

Sattua
04-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm 26, and I think I get it, but I don't follow the "line of reasoning" completely. So it's possible I don't actually get it.

audiobottle
04-04-2007, 09:40 PM
26. I have no idea what this is about. Although I like the idea of a burrito shaped like a bunny. Too bad Chipotle hates me, or I'd go down there and take a look.

cochrane
04-04-2007, 10:54 PM
I knew the reference in the thread title instantly. I'm 50. And no, I didn't read the spoilers or follow the links.

One of my favorite Bugs Bunny cartoons of all time. My cable company doesn't get Boomerang and I bemoan the lack of any Warner Brothers cartoons on conventional cable networks. I guess Time Warner wants people to fork out for the DVDs nowadays.

ZipperJJ
04-04-2007, 11:05 PM
27 and I get it.

Actually, I don't recognize the line from the OP. I think of it more as "Hasenpfeffer..........HASENPFEFFER?!?!?!" which I assume is the same source.

Alan Smithee
04-05-2007, 03:49 AM
30. Get it, though the Easter thing is a bit of a non sequitor.

Starving Artist
04-05-2007, 04:00 AM
58. Another one who the joke in the thread title but not the joke of the sign itself.

Baker
04-05-2007, 05:31 AM
This wouldn't be complete without recipes.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hasenpfeffer-Rabbit-Stew/Detail.aspx

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/18742/hasenpfeffer.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-00,hasenpfeffer,FF.html

Ferret Herder
04-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Got the thread title reference but until I read the other responses guessing at it, I had no idea that the title was also on the sign.

Sailboat
04-05-2007, 07:03 AM
44. Know the source of the quote, but fail to see what it has to do with being closed on Easter. I mean, I can kinda see the weak connection to Easter traditions, if I squint. But how does it imply "closed"?

Sailboat

BobLibDem
04-05-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm 50 and got it. That wascally wabbitwas the first thing that went through my mind in seeing "hossenfeffer".

brewha
04-05-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm 28 and I get it. The thing is I'm not sure why I get it.

I remeber watching it when I was very young, but the cartoon seemed older than the cartoons I watched at that time. Maybe it was a re-run or maybe someone had it on tape.

BrainGlutton
04-05-2007, 10:39 AM
44. Know the source of the quote, but fail to see what it has to do with being closed on Easter. I mean, I can kinda see the weak connection to Easter traditions, if I squint. But how does it imply "closed"?

Sailboat

I wondered that too. And I can't recall any WB cartoon where Bugs hides the Easter eggs.

Spatial Rift 47
04-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I got the joke. That's a clever one, too. I'm 22. I practically grew up on the source material for that joke.

cochrane
04-05-2007, 11:51 AM

It's a reference to Shiskabugs, a 1962 Bugs Bunny cartoon
Are beans generally served with hassenpfeffer? :D

Broken Wind
04-05-2007, 12:02 PM
39. Recognized the source of the line immediately, but like others don't really see the connection to being closed on Easter.

rhythmonly
04-05-2007, 12:11 PM
49. Piece of cake.

TroubleAgain
04-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Almost 41 and I got it.

CJJ*
04-05-2007, 01:20 PM
OK, OP checking in again. I guess I was a little surprised, as I personally thought the reference in the sign was somewhat obscure and (let's be honest) a little old for most kids today (not to mention a chain restaurant, but Chipotle does position itself as "hipster", so who knows?).

Guess I'm glad that the same stuff which rotted my brain as a kid is still going strong with a whole new generation of innocents...

For completeness' sake, I checked on the sign again today at lunch. It's in the usual "Chipotle" style (if you've been to the restaurant you know what I mean), so I'm pretty sure it's chain-wide, not just this particular location. Full text:
[Side picture of a wrapped burrito, with sketched-on bunny ears, legs, and a tail added to suggest a crouched rabbit in profile]

"COOK, COOK, WHERE'S MY HOSSENFEFFER?"

(We're going to be closed for Easter)

[unrelated text about spending the day dying burritos in pastels, putting plastic grass in the baskets, etc.]
As a few noted on this thread, "hasenpfeffer" is the correct spelling; the sign misspelled it. And as many noted, it's not much of a joke, though it did make me smile...

Hugh Mongoose
04-05-2007, 01:43 PM
I saw this today at Chipotle, and it gave me a little chuckle. Particularly since last night a friend and I looked up hasenpfeffer to make sure I was correct about its meaning (peppered rabbit).

The "joke" of the sign was that it initially suggests (just with that line & the picture) that they would be serving rabbit burritos on Easter. It went on to talk about what they'd be doing on easter instead of being open (dying burritos bright colors, putting plastic grass in the burrito baskets, holding their annual burrito hunt) and essentially say they were sorry their customers would be missing out on all the fun.

I chuckled.

jsc1953
04-05-2007, 02:29 PM
(not to mention a chain restaurant, but Chipotle does position itself as "hipster", so who knows?)

Were you aware that Chipotle is a division of McDonald's? Not so hip, now, huh? :)

Ike Witt
04-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Were you aware that Chipotle is a division of McDonald's? Not so hip, now, huh? :)
Umm, cite?

Nothing that I can find indicates any relationship to McDonalds other than they are both fat food providers.

CJJ*
04-05-2007, 03:17 PM
They were (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipotle_Mexican_Grill); McDonald's made an initial minority investment in 1997, which by 2005 had grown to 92% of the company's net worth. This is likely what caused the chain to grow so rapidly from a few stores in Denver to over 500 today.

After Chipotle filed for an IPO, McDonald's sold it's stock and offered a discounted buy-in of Chipotle shares to its own shareholders. McDonalds was fully divested of Chipotle by the fall of 2006.

robardin
04-05-2007, 03:27 PM
I get the reference, and I'm 36.

I frequently refer to this "source" as you put it, in other cooking contexts e.g., "Every day the same thing... Variety...", in referring to my children's neverending desire to eat just pizza or hamburgers despite my decent ability to make roast pork ribs, various kinds of steak, grilled or pan fried fish, rotisserie chicken, etc., etc.

I do however fail to see the tie-in to being closed for Easter.

For a better reference in the same vein, but more on-topic, I would have gone with a Humphrey Bogart figure mopping his brow with a handkerchief and saying, "Baby will just have to have a ham sandwich".

mobo85
04-05-2007, 03:31 PM
I do however fail to see the tie-in to being closed for Easter.

I don't really think there is a tie-in other than the Easter Bunny being a famous rabbit- just like...

Slithy Tove
04-05-2007, 03:54 PM
I got the reference, and I remember that as being one of the stupider WB cartoons (along with the Speedy vs Slyvesters).

Next time how about referencing one of the funny ones?

"This time we didn't forget the gravy!"

mobo85
04-05-2007, 04:00 PM
I got the reference, and I remember that as being one of the stupider WB cartoons (along with the Speedy vs Slyvesters).

Speedy Gonzales's natural enemy was Sylvester. Do you not like Speedy in general (no problem with that), or are you confusing them with the cartoons produced after the Warners studio closed its doors where he was pitted inexplicably against Daffy Duck?

(By the '60s, the Warner cartoons definitely were running out of steam. I haven't seen Shiskabugs in years, but Dumb Patrol, one of Bugs's last cartoons, is quite possibly one of the unfunniest cartoons ever with only one good closing gag.)

sqweels
04-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Guess I'm glad that the same stuff which rotted my brain as a kid is still going strong with a whole new generation of innocents...

Wadaya mean, rotted your brain? We're not talking about Tom and Jerry, let alone Caspar the Friendly Ghost, we're talking aout Bugs Bunny!.

A brain unrotted by Bugs Bunny is a brain not worth having.

Slithy Tove
04-05-2007, 04:16 PM
are you confusing them with the cartoons produced after the Warners studio closed its doors where he was pitted inexplicably against Daffy Duck?

No - I'd just prefer to keep that memory repressed (thank you!)

The dumb ones we agree to loathe were written for TV and aimed soley at kids; the earlier ones for theater viewing threw in some dark humor for the adults, (which some of us kids enjoyed preternaturally):

"This should grind ther bones nicely!"

mobo85
04-05-2007, 04:24 PM
The dumb ones we agree to loathe were written for TV and aimed soley at kids

Actually, cartoons were produced theatrically for Warner Bros. until 1969, mainly at the DePatie-Freling studios, although Warners did resurrect its animation studio shorly before production halted.

Lambo
04-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Replying to the OP, without reading any other replies: I get it, and I'm 30.