PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce...

BarnOwl
05-22-2007, 12:09 PM
lechuza común

(which is Spanish for barn owl)

It's a little confusing. There seems to be two words for owl: lechuza and búho as you can see in the compound words below. Can anyone explain the use of one over the other?

barn owl (Zoology) nf lechuza común (Zoología)
barred owl (Zoology) nm cárabo norteamericano (Zoología)
eagle owl (Zoology) nm búho real (Zoología)
great gray owl (ornithology; UK = great grey owl) (US) nm cárabo lapón (ornitología)
great horned owl (Ornithology) nm búho virginiano (ornitología)
great horned owl (Ornithology) nm búho cornudo
hawk owl (Zoology) n lechuza gavilana
horned owl (Zoology) n búho virginiano
little owl nm pequeño búho
little owl nm buhíto
long-eared owl (Zoology) nf búho chico
night owl adj trasnochador
night owl n ave nocturna
screech owl nf lechuza blanca
tawny owl nm cárabo (Lechuza Familia Strigidae)
tawny owl nm autillo

John Mace
05-22-2007, 12:17 PM
leh-CHU-sa co-MUN. ("u" being long in both instances).

Colophon
05-22-2007, 12:18 PM
In Spain, you'd say "le-CHOO-tha co-MOON". In Latin America, I believe the "z" would be pronounced more as an "s" sound.

The "le" and "co" have short vowels, similar(ish) to "let" and "cop" respectively. Also the "OO" sound is not a long diphthongised vowel as in English, just an accented U.

As for the vocab questions, pass!

John Mace
05-22-2007, 12:30 PM
IThe "le" and "co" have short vowels, similar(ish) to "let" and "cop" respectively. Also the "OO" sound is not a long diphthongised vowel as in English, just an accented U.
In the US, the "o" in cop is pronounced like an "ah". I think the "o" in Spanish is more like a long "o" (maybe "hard" is a better word than "long") in American English.

Colophon
05-22-2007, 12:32 PM
In the US, the "o" in cop is pronounced like an "ah". I think the "o" in Spanish is more like a long "o" (maybe "hard" is a better word than "long") in American English.

Yes, you're right. I was basing the pronunciation on British English, where we cunningly use an "o" vowel for words written with an "o". ;)

John Mace
05-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Yes, you're right. I was basing the pronunciation on British English, where we cunningly use an "o" vowel for words written with an "o". ;)
Actually, it's worse than that. In the US, the "o" sound can range from "ahhhh" in the midwest*, to "aw" in parts of New England.

*not sure how to represent that, but it's a longer, more drawn out version of "ah".

ChicanoRojo
05-22-2007, 12:39 PM
It's a little confusing. There seems to be two words for owl: lechuza and búho as you can see in the compound words below. Can anyone explain the use of one over the other?

Not being a zoologist or knowledgeable on birds, lechuza refers to the Tytonidae or barn-owls whereas the búho refers to the typical owls. But, in most everyday speech, most speakers use both words interchangeably.

ChicanoRojo
05-22-2007, 12:42 PM

I would say more like the "O" on "Social".

Sapo
05-22-2007, 12:45 PM
In Spain, you'd say "le-CHOO-tha co-MOON". In Latin America, I believe the "z" would be pronounced more as an "s" sound.

The "le" and "co" have short vowels, similar(ish) to "let" and "cop" respectively. Also the "OO" sound is not a long diphthongised vowel as in English, just an accented U.

As for the vocab questions, pass!
spot on.

As for the lechuza vs buho. Buho has the pointy ears, lechuzas have the round faces, or at least that's what your average grade-schooler will draw when asked. If you want more science, listen to what ChicanoRojo says or wait for Colibri

BarnOwl
05-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Mil gracias

Sinceramente,

lechuza extraordinario y muy guapo de SDMB