PDA

View Full Version : Toll evasion?! I have E-ZPass!!

Absolute
06-28-2007, 09:40 PM
I just got a $500 ticket in the mail from the Massachusetts State Police for "Toll evasion - unauthorized use of electronic tolls."

What the motherfucking FUCK?! I have E-ZPass! It's not my fucking fault if their fucking sensors are too fucked up to read the fucking tag!

What a pain in the ass this is going to be.

Telemark
06-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Did the green light come on? If not, you are supposed to pull over and deal with it then.

Sarahfeena
06-28-2007, 10:09 PM
I worry about this all the time, since I go through the toll-reading thing twice a day. It just seems impossible that the thing can read the sensor, while you are going through it at expressway speed.

Plus, the other day I went through a regular tollbooth, and the gate wouldn't open. The person in the booth told me to take the sensor off the dash and hold it up in the middle of the windshield. I did, and the gate went up. If it couldn't be read that time, while I was at a dead stop, why would I have any confidence that it can read it while it is in motion?

I expect to be in the same spot you are in any time now, Absolute. This thing just seems like a problem waiting to happen.

Shagnasty
06-28-2007, 10:12 PM
I know. Lesser versions have happened to me though. I will have to question the circumstances however. Failure to read errors are very common and probably happen thousands of times a day throughout the state. However, the backup is the photo of your license plate that they take as you go through. The best that I can tell is that either software or humans looks at the license plate when there is a read failure and sees if that car has a EZ-Pass transponder assigned to it. If so, it looks like the software just corrects the whole thing and you are golden. That must be it because I have have many failure to read lights myself and have only gotten one ticket.

Is there a chance that you aren't in the associated car when you had all these read failures? That causes a problem that they can't reconcile.

Sarahfeena
06-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Did the green light come on? If not, you are supposed to pull over and deal with it then. The gate I go through now doesn't have a light. I don't know what all the different kinds of systems are, but here in Illinois, some of the reguar toll-booth lanes are I-Pass lanes. These have a light, and you have to slow down to go through them. But most of the lanes are free-flowing now...they have one big gate stretching over 4 lanes, and you don't have to slow down or anything. There is no light, because you would never know who is setting it off, since zillions of cars are going through at 70 MPH. You just have to hope that the sensor is reading them all.

Absolute
06-28-2007, 10:28 PM
I know. Lesser versions have happened to me though. I will have to question the circumstances however. Failure to read errors are very common and probably happen thousands of times a day throughout the state. However, the backup is the photo of your license plate that they take as you go through. The best that I can tell is that either software or humans looks at the license plate when there is a read failure and sees if that car has a EZ-Pass transponder assigned to it. If so, it looks like the software just corrects the whole thing and you are golden. That must be it because I have have many failure to read lights myself and have only gotten one ticket.

Is there a chance that you aren't in the associated car when you had all these read failures? That causes a problem that they can't reconcile.
I don't know what the hell happened. The letter they mailed me included a picture of my license plate. I was in my only car, the one on my EZPass account. I checked the account just now, and it is in good standing.

Did the green light come on? If not, you are supposed to pull over and deal with it then.
Deal with it how? Pull over and get out of my car in the middle of the expressway?

Shagnasty
06-28-2007, 10:48 PM
Deal with it how? Pull over and get out of my car in the middle of the expressway?

I think he means that you should turn your hazard lights on, force yourself into the right hand breakdown lane cutting through whatever lanes you need to, safely park your car, hold your hand up prominately as you walk back through the lanes to make sure that all traffic stops, knock on a toll booth door, explain what happened, and then negotiate an appropriate solution. Do what is requested, stop traffic again so that you can safely cross back to your car and then motor away while carefully merging into congested traffic.

I assume that is it because if it isn't, I've got nothing.

Frank
06-28-2007, 10:57 PM
I think he means that you should turn your hazard lights on, force yourself into the right hand breakdown lane cutting through whatever lanes you need to, safely park your car, hold your hand up prominately as you walk back through the lanes to make sure that all traffic stops, knock on a toll booth door, explain what happened, and then negotiate an appropriate solution. Do what is requested, stop traffic again so that you can safely cross back to your car and then motor away while carefully merging into congested traffic.

I assume that is it because if it isn't, I've got nothing.
I did exactly that when I accidently blew a tollbooth on the N.Y. Thruway in 2003.

"You shouldn't have stopped. What are you, crazy? You tryin' to get killed?"

Nevertheless, she handed me a form to fill out and mail.

Telemark
06-28-2007, 11:12 PM
"You shouldn't have stopped. What are you, crazy? You tryin' to get killed?"

Nevertheless, she handed me a form to fill out and mail.
I've always seen plenty of space on the right side of the road, after the toll booths, where you can pull over and get back to the office. It can be a challenge if the EZ-Pass lane is the far left, but it's the same rule if you have no change for an exact change lane.

Frank
06-28-2007, 11:17 PM
I've always seen plenty of space on the right side of the road, after the toll booths, where you can pull over and get back to the office. It can be a challenge if the EZ-Pass lane is the far left, but it's the same rule if you have no change for an exact change lane.
Yeah, well, you're from Massachusetts. I'm talking about New York!

:D

Telemark
06-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Yeah, well, you're from Massachusetts. I'm talking about New York!

But the OP is talking about Mass. :)

Projammer
06-28-2007, 11:59 PM
If your EZ-Pass is the same as in Houston, there are no lights. The only way you know it didn't get a read and someone screwed up matching the tag is when you get the ticket in the mail.

If there's not a number to call, check their website for the dispute procedure. Failing that, send them a letter requesting that they double check the tag number in their photo with the tag you have registered in EZ-Pass. Make sure to include you EZ-Pass account number

Telemark
06-29-2007, 12:21 AM
In MA, there is a light in each EZ-Pass lane that lights up when your transponder is recorded.

thelurkinghorror
06-29-2007, 12:33 AM
My roomate got several tickets from FasTrak (California) in the mail. He was probably speeding and the transponder didn't pick up. A few weeks later, his account was debited and the tickets cleared themselves when they checked his plates.

Our tickets here are only about $20-30 plus the $4 toll.

sugar and spice
06-29-2007, 12:49 AM
$500 for one ticket? Is this just a ticket for running a toll? This isn't for speeding or something like that? At least in NY Metro area back when I lived there, running thru the EZPass lane was just $20 or $30. FWIW, they had a protocol for clearing these things up, you just had to send in you tag number or something and they would only charge you for the toll. I had to commute from Queens to NJ, it happened to me more than once.

Trunk
06-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Stop fretting.

Probably with one letter or a visit to the website, you're going to be charged the cost of the toll.

It's happened to everyone with EZ-PASS.

And, I'll be damned if I ever pull over because the thing missed my tag. That's ridiculous.

Sapo
06-29-2007, 08:32 AM
I had it on FL. If the thing didn't work for whatever reason (which was at least once a week), they just charged me anyways, the license was linked to the account, and the account was set on autopay. Whatever could possibly go wrong, would be their fault.

I trusted the system so much, that if I had relatives visiting, renting a car, I would give them my transponder and just run through the tolls without it, knowing that I would just be billed for it. I was never ticketed in 4 years.

That said, my house mate did get once a ticket. All it took him was a call to the same number he called to have his account refilled. 5 minutes, thank you ma'am kinda deal.

Give'em a call to their subscription number, they will route your call.

phungi
06-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Likewise, I got one of these (lesser) fines in Delaware and simply had to mail in a copy of my EZPass statement showing it was active... they simply deducted the toll and tossed away the fine.

TheLoadedDog
06-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Stop fretting.

Probably with one letter or a visit to the website, you're going to be charged the cost of the toll.

It's happened to everyone with EZ-PASS.

And, I'll be damned if I ever pull over because the thing missed my tag. That's ridiculous.

That's my experience here in Sydney too.

THere was a problem with my credit card (it had changed number with a new card issue or something), and the tag went from one long "beeeeeeeep" (transaction OK) to "bip bip bip bip bip" (declined - no funds), but the problem occurred the exact same day we moved house - and this detail is important.

My girlfriend was the one driving the car every day, and it turns out that she thought the different sound was due to using a different toll booth at our new address (As if they have regional dialects or something). By the time our mail caught up with the new address, she'd been happily sailing through illegally twice a day for a few weeks.

I freaked, and imagined the worst. But an email fixed it.

Sean Factotum
06-29-2007, 09:23 AM
$500 for one ticket? Is this just a ticket for running a toll? This isn't for speeding or something like that? At least in NY Metro area back when I lived there, running thru the EZPass lane was just $20 or $30. FWIW, they had a protocol for clearing these things up, you just had to send in you tag number or something and they would only charge you for the toll. I had to commute from Queens to NJ, it happened to me more than once.
In the next couple of weeks, fines associated with traffic violations are going to skyrocket here in Virginia. The General Assembly went that route (instead of higher taxes) to fund road contruction. That may be what Mass. does.

The Vorlon
06-29-2007, 09:45 AM
Massachusetts just keeps charging you to drive on the road, long after the construction bonds have been paid off.

After all, there are many never-do-well relitives of legistators that need good jobs at good wages. Who go out on disability after they drop the cash draw on their foot.......

Missy2U
06-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Now that we have "open road tolling" or some such shit here in beautiful Illinois, I find it easier to just not go anywhere that involves having to get on the toll road. Open road? I'm not sure why that involves shutting down 15 lanes and having us all merge into two so that they can serve us better, but hey - I'm no engineer. What do I know?

Sucks to be my brother, sister-in-law on husband's side and brother-in-law on husband's side (and all the associated relatives/hangers-on) cause they never see us anymore, but hell - it sure is easier. EZPass, my ass! Open road? Yeah. Right.

Shit, I don't even go to WOODFIELD anymore! Way too much hassle. :D

friedo
06-29-2007, 09:54 AM

This is the worst idea in the history of human civilization.

Kalhoun
06-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Now that we have "open road tolling" or some such shit here in beautiful Illinois, I find it easier to just not go anywhere that involves having to get on the toll road. Open road? I'm not sure why that involves shutting down 15 lanes and having us all merge into two so that they can serve us better, but hey - I'm no engineer. What do I know?

Sucks to be my brother, sister-in-law on husband's side and brother-in-law on husband's side (and all the associated relatives/hangers-on) cause they never see us anymore, but hell - it sure is easier. EZPass, my ass! Open road? Yeah. Right.

Shit, I don't even go to WOODFIELD anymore! Way too much hassle. :D
(Woodfield...the devil's playground...that's what it is.)

Jackmannii
06-29-2007, 10:05 AM
I think he means that you should turn your hazard lights on, force yourself into the right hand breakdown lane cutting through whatever lanes you need to, safely park your car, hold your hand up prominately as you walk back through the lanes to make sure that all traffic stops, knock on a toll booth door, explain what happened, and then negotiate an appropriate solution. Do what is requested, stop traffic again so that you can safely cross back to your car and then motor away while carefully merging into congested traffic.Or, if there is no breakdown lane, what you should do (especially if driving in New Jersey) when the green light doesn't come on because the toll basket didn't register your quarter when it went in, is to immediately stop, put your car in park, first carefully searching to make sure there are no extra quarters available to place in the (malfunctioning) basket, then go in search of a toll employee, while cheerfully waving to the patient Jersey drivers behind you who know that problems occasionally occur and will have no objections to waiting while you resolve the situation.

That way you can avoid getting stuck for the toll and "evasion" charges, plus a surcharge from the slime-covered turds at Dollar Rent-a-Car who will try like mad to avoid refunding the penalty charge even after the N.J. Toll Authority cancels their fine, may they (Dollar) rot in hell.

Driver8
06-29-2007, 11:58 AM
That sounds like a really messed up system. As far as I know, the express pass lanes on Georgia SR-400 will key off the electronic device on your car if it is available. However, if this fails they'll still debit your account correctly based on your license plate.

I assume that they prefer the electronic device as it is more reliable or less work. But it still works based purely on the licence plate.

Which is why I don't understand this situation. They knew enough to track you down (obviously from your plate). Why on earth was this not enough to just simply link to your toll account and debit the appropriate amount? Is your plate not linked to your account or something? Or is MA just whacked?

ivylass
06-29-2007, 12:12 PM
This happened to me in Florida, although the fine was only $25. I wrote them a very nasty letter, calling them extortionists (if I fought this in court and lost I could get points on my license) and pointed out that I'd exited the turnpike onto I-4, and if they had a record of that, then obviously the fact that it didn't register me entering the turnpike must indicate a problem with their sensors.

I got the check back, uncashed, along with a note that the fine was dismissed. I guess you can fight city hall!

Trunk
06-29-2007, 12:14 PM
That sounds like a really messed up system. As far as I know, the express pass lanes on Georgia SR-400 will key off the electronic device on your car if it is available. However, if this fails they'll still debit your account correctly based on your license plate.

I assume that they prefer the electronic device as it is more reliable or less work. But it still works based purely on the licence plate.

Which is why I don't understand this situation. They knew enough to track you down (obviously from your plate). Why on earth was this not enough to just simply link to your toll account and debit the appropriate amount? Is your plate not linked to your account or something? Or is MA just whacked?
The OP was either using the PASS in a car it wasn't made for, or is totally freaking out before actually looking into the situation and realizing that she's really only the hook for $2.85.

What Exit?
06-29-2007, 12:18 PM
I live in NJ and I got my EZPass through Delaware. Delaware does something remarkable. If you go through an EZPass and it does not register and you have EZPass, they simply charge the Toll against your car. No fines, especially no $500 fines. That is insane. Even NJ is not that crazy. $500 is a fine completely off the scale of decency.

Telemark, could you cite that you are suppose to pull over and take care of the problem. This sounds wrong and dangerous. I think and hope you are giving bad advice.

Jim

Absolute
06-29-2007, 12:59 PM
The OP was either using the PASS in a car it wasn't made for, or is totally freaking out before actually looking into the situation and realizing that she's really only the hook for $2.85.
I'm not a girl.

EZPass is a New Jersey/New York system, but it is advertised as compatible with Massachusett's "Fast Lane" system, and I have been using this tag in this car at this toll gate with no problems for the past three years.

I just spent two hours on hold with the Massachusetts DMV (whose number was listed on the ticket I got), only to be told I had to call Fast Lane. I have been on hold with them for half an hour, and am still waiting as I type this.

This is absolutely fucking absurd.

ArizonaTeach
06-29-2007, 01:11 PM
I honestly cannot get the concept of toll booths through my head. Cannot. I have never seen one outside of movies in television in my life, and I don't want to.

You have my sympathies, Absolute. Hope it ends well.

Absolute
06-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Jesus Christ. I just got off the phone with the State Police. I have to go to COURT to contest the ticket.

Because these incompetent, driveling extortionist morons both a) Can't design a system that will read transponders properly, and b) Are too lazy to cross-check my license plate with the database of toll systems they operate with, I have to take time off from class and work and waste several hours of my time defending myself against their own incompetence. Or pony up the $500 fine.

Innocent until proven guilty, my ass. This is ridiculous.

Boyo Jim
06-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Excuse a slight hijack question--

I heard rumors that in some states you can be given a speeding ticket if you pass through two successive toll gates in too short a time -- the system will calculate your speed and issue a citation if you go too fast.

Does this actually happen anywhere?

Solfy
06-29-2007, 01:25 PM
I was caught when I used a transponder assigned to my car in a different vehicle of mine that wasn't assigned in the system. I got a bill & fine in the mail. Since technically you're only supposed to use the transponder in the registered vehicle, I figured they'd smack me for that. To my surprise they were very understanding and only charged me for the toll amount. A five minute phone call had it all sorted out, and I signed up for another transponder for the other vehicle. (but this was in Pennsylvania)
I'm sorry you're up against such a hassle, Absolute.

I heart EZPass!

*editing to answer Boyo Jim*
The explanation I've heard is that they could fine people for getting from point A to point B too quickly, but then people would avoid the road/system like the plague. They don't need EZPass to do that - they timestamp tickets on most limited access roads. Twould be a very unpopular thing to do.

nailzthehnic
06-29-2007, 01:28 PM
If your transponder doesn't work and you stop to pay the toll, make sure you get a receipt. (http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1827.asp)

Sapo
06-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Am I the only one reading the title and having a flash back of Fifth Element with the multipass?

What Exit?
06-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Jesus Christ. I just got off the phone with the State Police. I have to go to COURT to contest the ticket.

Because these incompetent, driveling extortionist morons both a) Can't design a system that will read transponders properly, and b) Are too lazy to cross-check my license plate with the database of toll systems they operate with, I have to take time off from class and work and waste several hours of my time defending myself against their own incompetence. Or pony up the $500 fine.

Innocent until proven guilty, my ass. This is ridiculous.
That blows, it is basically a form of Highway Robbery. I would try calling back again later in the day and calmly ask if there is any other way to straighten out this mistake.

I heard rumors that in some states you can be given a speeding ticket if you pass through two successive toll gates in too short a time -- the system will calculate your speed and issue a citation if you go too fast.

Does this actually happen anywhere?
I can only speak to New Jersey. When EZPass first went up in NJ, there were a few incidents of this happening. The Governor had spent a lot of time and state money getting EZPass installed and up and running and put an order out to stop issuing tickets this way as no one would sign up for EZ Pass if they continued*.

I do not know of any further incidents after the first month.

Jim

* Almost everyone speeds in NJ when the Highways are moving, so after hearing about this policy, opinions were running very strong that no one would sign up for the EZ Pass.

sugar and spice
06-29-2007, 02:18 PM

Does this actually happen anywhere?Yes, I've heard that to, that's what I was referring to with the possibility that this may be a speeding ticket, or something other than just not picking up the tag. I don't know of a system where this specificly happens, but my boyfriend once got my tag suspended for 3 months because he went thru the toll on the NY State Thruway at 60mph and the limit was something like 20mph -- it was an unmanned booth, not open-road tolling. It wasn't a big deal since I don't use it much anymore, but if I were still commuting via toll-roads I think I'd rather have paid the $500.

I also just noticed that OP's ticket came from the State Police -- is that typical in MA? In NY-metro, EZPass violations (running the toll and such) came from EZPass themselves, AFAIK it wasn't treated as a traffic violation. I actually have more than a few NJ EZPass violations that I never followed up on, but I know that back then the NJ collections system was a bit of a mess.

tremorviolet
06-29-2007, 02:33 PM
my boyfriend once got my tag suspended for 3 months because he went thru the toll on the NY State Thruway at 60mph and the limit was something like 20mph -- it was an unmanned booth, not open-road tolling. It wasn't a big deal since I don't use it much anymore, but if I were still commuting via toll-roads I think I'd rather have paid the $500.

You've got to see this video (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=11121). Good reason to slow down going through those booths.

Telemark
06-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Telemark, could you cite that you are suppose to pull over and take care of the problem. This sounds wrong and dangerous. I think and hope you are giving bad advice.
Looks like they may have changed things since I first learned that. From the MA FastPass FAQ:
8. What do the traffic lights in the FAST LANE represent and how do I know my transaction was successful?
TOP YELLOW "CALL FAST LANE'' LIGHT
If you receive the top yellow CALL FAST LANE light it indicates the following:

You may have been recorded as a violator and you are required to contact the FAST LANE Service Center to determine why your FAST LANE transaction was not recorded. You should not use any FAST LANE until you have contacted the FAST LANE Service Center and verified that your account is in good standing and that your transponder is working properly. If you disregard the Top Yellow "CALL FAST LANE" Light and continue to use FAST LANE you may be issued a violation. A violation results in a $50.00 fine per occurrence.

What I learned was from before the days of EZ-Pass. Back then, if you didn't have money for the tolls we learned that you were supposed to pull over if it was easy or stay in the lane and wait for an attendant. I can't find anything else on the NH or MA DOT pages that suggests that anymore.

JimSox5
06-29-2007, 02:49 PM
You've got to see this video (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=11121). Good reason to slow down going through those booths.
:eek: Wow. Was that guy not looking where he was going? Because he nailed the toll booth dead on.

UncleRojelio
06-29-2007, 03:03 PM
You've got to see this video (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=11121). Good reason to slow down going through those booths.Damn, looks like an effective way to display your displeasure with the toll system.

We just got some toll roads in the Austin area and, despite my misgivings about toll roads in general, bought into the electronic pass scheme. I must say I'm impressed. The toll roads really speed up some of my trips because I'm the only schmuck that uses them. So I have been experimenting on just how fast I can fly through the toll plaza and still not get a ticket. So far, 85 mph is A-OK.

What Exit?
06-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Looks like they may have changed things since I first learned that. From the MA FastPass FAQ:

What I learned was from before the days of EZ-Pass. Back then, if you didn't have money for the tolls we learned that you were supposed to pull over if it was easy or stay in the lane and wait for an attendant. I can't find anything else on the NH or MA DOT pages that suggests that anymore.
That sounds more like it to me. I do recall, the Jersey Tollboths actually had little envelopes so you could mail in your payment if you did not have the change. Those are long gone now.

Jim

brad_d
06-29-2007, 03:40 PM
:eek: Wow. Was that guy not looking where he was going? Because he nailed the toll booth dead on.Last time that was posted here I did a little checking up, and I believe the driver had a seizure.

Edit: Now I'm not so sure. It seems nobody's certain (http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/top_three/story/7482777p-7377652c.html) now.

bump
06-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Well, at one point a few years ago, NTTA (North Texas Tollroad Authority) did not have their IT shit straight, and in a fog of idiocy, thought that it was perfectly ok to not actually get hold of the counties in question(or even the State!) and update their licence plate records as people re-registered their cars and got new plates.

I got bit by this one back then- I started to wonder why I hadn't got a bill lately. Granted, I was in grad school and didnt' take toll roads often, but in the intervening time, I'd surely driven enough to incur one automatic bill.

Before I called them, I got a $500 bill in the mail, since my car was "unidentified" or some other stupid stuff, and they weren't lining up the toll tag with the car. I was informed that this was because I hadn't notified them that I'd got new plates a few months earlier.

Luckily, they waived the penalties and fees, and I was only on the hook for $44 dollars, just like I'd expected before it all went down.

I wonder if something similar isn't happening to the OP...

anamnesis
06-29-2007, 05:05 PM
Apologies in advance for the completely useless post, but was I the only one who thought of Roger (the regretfully tiger-striped mascot of Comcast Digital Voice) when reading the title of this OP?

"Toll evasion? I have E-ZPass!"
"Sorry Absolute, you a felon now."

Plynck
06-29-2007, 05:32 PM
I honestly cannot get the concept of toll booths through my head. Cannot. I have never seen one outside of movies in television in my life, and I don't want to.Was the movie "The Godfather"? Not all of them are like that.

pool
06-29-2007, 05:37 PM
:( I was driving in Florida and ran three in one day. I didn't have any change and the tolls were automated. I heard that you could get three before you were sent a ticket. I don't know if that is true but nothing has ever come of it and I don't live there anyway.

Asimovian
06-29-2007, 05:53 PM
You've got to see this video (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=11121). Good reason to slow down going through those booths.With apologies for getting this thread further off-track, I was convinced this video was a fake until I read the associated articles. I mean, a couple of cars in the video clearly kept driving through the toll booth after the car makes impact and basically explodes. Who the hell does that?!?

And that has to be one of the most disturbing things I've ever watched. I take some small solace in the assumption that it was an instantaneous death.

The Vorlon
06-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Or is MA just whacked?

DING DING DING

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!

pulykamell
06-30-2007, 12:26 AM
I mean, a couple of cars in the video clearly kept driving through the toll booth after the car makes impact and basically explodes. Who the hell does that?!?

:confused: What am I supposed to do? I'd probably just keep going, as well. There's a cop on the scene, no need to hang about.

Apricot
06-30-2007, 01:09 AM
I mean, a couple of cars in the video clearly kept driving through the toll booth after the car makes impact and basically explodes. Who the hell does that?!?
I do. It's on fire, man. I wanna get far away, and driving through does that for me.

Asimovian
06-30-2007, 02:08 AM
I don't know...I guess my instinct would have been to stop and see if I could help, although obviously there was no help to be had in that particularly situation. But apparently I'm in the minority.