PDA

View Full Version : Different Ways To Pronounce Names Spelled The Same

Rediff
06-30-2007, 12:59 PM
I was looking for names that are spelled the same way but often pronounced differently.

For example: Beatrice

I have known people who say "BEE-a-trice".

And I've known others say "bee-AT-trice."

Or Leroy:

I have heard it pronounced "LEE-roy."

and I've heard people say "la-ROY."

Any other examples. I am looking for general examples, not one time things by some girl or guy who to stupid to say it right. LOL :)

Sternvogel
06-30-2007, 01:51 PM
The Perfect Master: SEE-sil to Americans, SESS-il to the British
Maurice: Maw-REES in the USA, MAWR-is across the pond
Colin Powell pronounces his first name COE-lin, while my cousin Ron's son Colin is CAHL-in.

stucco
06-30-2007, 03:01 PM
I have two friends named Kaya. One is 'KAY-uh' and the other is 'KAI-uh'. (rhymes with papaya)
Similarly, Leah can be 'LEE-uh' or 'LAY-uh' and Cara can be 'CARE-uh' or 'CAR-uh'

panache45
06-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Shithead. They swear "shi-theed" is the only way to pronounce it.

Yeah, now. Wait till little Shithead starts school. :D

Ms. Pumpkin
06-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Maurice: Maw-REES in the USA, MAWR-is across the pond.

Really? I have an uncle Maurice who pronounces it "MORE-iss". I've met others as well.
Could be a Maine/New England thing.

My contribution: Caroline. Sometimes CarolINE, sometimes CarolIN.

if6was9
06-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Jimmy Carter was on Paula Deen's show once. He was talking about pecans, pecan pie. He said it gets pronounced 4 different ways:

PEE-can
PEE-kahn
pee-CAN
PEEK-an

Sarahfeena
06-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Andrea is a good one. I have known it to be ANN-drea, AHN-drea, and Ahn-DREA

Cub Mistress
06-30-2007, 04:49 PM
Lana: Lah-na or Lay-na, the same goes for Alana

Alyssa: AH- lissah, Ah- lee-sha, or Ay-lissah, I've heard all three and can never keep them straight.

jabiru
06-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Elaine = Eelayne or schwa-layne

counsel wolf
06-30-2007, 05:43 PM
In real life my name is Ralph.

I can count the number of people who ask me upon first contact (having seen it written down previously) which pronunciation I use in single digits.

For the record, it's a silent L.

Aspidistra
06-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Anthony.

ANT-uhnee in the UK
ANTH-uhnee in OZ

seosamh
06-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Craig

= kray-g in the Commonwealth

= kreg in the US of A, I believe.

Kneepants Erasmus, the Humanist
06-30-2007, 06:42 PM
There is a street here called "Maria". Apparently people pronounce it "Mariah". I've no idea why, and I refuse to participate.

Wacky Minnesotans and their ridiculous verbal quirks. I have got to get the hell out of here.

bundykala
06-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Rhiannon is one.

Some people say REE-uh-nin
Others say Ree-ANN-on
I'd say Ree-ANN-in

KlondikeGeoff
06-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Geoffrey

JEFFree, which I insist is correct
JOFFree, maybe British, but one Brit I know of that name also uses the first one.

Then, some idiots say GODfree. I know I am godlike, but cheech, where do they see the "d?"

Avarie537
06-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Similarly, Leah can be 'LEE-uh' or 'LAY-uh'

Blasphemy! I am not a princess from a galaxy far far away, nor do I have buns on my head. Her name is spelled "Leia."

racer72
06-30-2007, 07:05 PM
For example: Beatrice

I have known people who say "BEE-a-trice".

And I've known others say "bee-AT-trice."

My ex mother in law was Bee-triss.

In real life my name is Ralph.

I can count the number of people who ask me upon first contact (having seen it written down previously) which pronunciation I use in single digits.

For the record, it's a silent L.

How do you pronounce it, Rouf?

My ex father in law was called Ralf with the L.

I haven't seen Beatrice and Ralph in years, I ought to stop by to see what they are up to.

counsel wolf
06-30-2007, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=racer72]
How do you pronounce it, Rouf? /QUOTE]

R long a f silent e.

Rafe is probably the best phonetic rendition. Think of the AL in words like walk and talk, you don't pronounce the L there (at least in most every dialect I've heard).

jabiru
06-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Helena = Hellenna or Heleena or Helayna

Chanteuse
06-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Jimmy Carter was on Paula Deen's show once. He was talking about pecans, pecan pie. He said it gets pronounced 4 different ways:

PEE-can
PEE-kahn
pee-CAN
PEEK-an

All those pronunciations, and not one is correct. ;)

It's puh-CAHN.

As for that first pronunciation, my dad always said that was something country folk used to keep under their beds at night and emptied every morning. :D

anamnesis
06-30-2007, 09:54 PM
I dunno how many different ways you can pronouce Martin, but I had a soccer coach when I was younger who could not manage to call me anything besides "Morton". Yes, he knew how it was spelled, and that is how he pronounced it. I think he was from, eh, somewhere over nort' by dere.

Lust4Life
07-01-2007, 04:12 AM
Mih shell and Iv onn,pronounced by thick cunts in England as Meeeeshell and Eve onn.

Some old English names that I personally think the pronunciation is silly Cholmondely which is spoken as chumley,Mainwaring ,mannering and Magdalene (as in the university college )maudlin.

jastu
07-01-2007, 04:54 AM
Aaron. Here we pronounce it as it's written, Aaron. The American pronunciation, Airen.

Beware of Doug
07-01-2007, 06:31 AM
So do you say "ah ah RAHN"? Saying "as written" doesn't always clear things up. :dubious:

It gets me when people say their own names differently but keep the spelling. This sets up a pronunciation trap that can be used to one-up strangers. "No, it's SuzAHnne." "I say MeLEEsa, actually." Well fine, Melissa, but why not spell it Melisa? (I see no easy fix for Suzanne.)

Chanteuse
07-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Aaron. Here we pronounce it as it's written, Aaron. The American pronunciation, Airen.

Not by THIS American! :)

My brother's name is Aaron. There's a country music star named Aaron Tippen. The only time I've ever heard it pronounced AY-ron was the year we lived in Louisiana. We pronounce it just like the girl's name Erin.

SurrenderDorothy
07-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Alicia can be a-leash-a or a-lee-see-a
Ana can be ohn-a or ann-a or, in the case of my little sister who insists on extending all her vowels, eeeaaaaaaanna (or eeeeaaaaann, which is her name)
Laura... some people say lor-a, some people say lah-ra, some people say lair-a

seosamh
07-01-2007, 11:31 AM
How about IRAQ?

Irr-ahhk or Irr-ak (UK)

Eye-rak (USA)

I wonder how Iraqis say it.

Spoke
07-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Cassandra

Spoke
07-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Shawn.

The 'w' is pronounced in some dialects, not in others.

OtakuLoki
07-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Can I include place names?

Chili - pronounced with two long I sounds: Cheyeleye. Though most people new to the area try to talk about Chilly.

Charlotte - emphasis is normally on the first syllable: SHAR-lot, the local town is known as Shar-LOT.

You don't want to have me even touch how you should pronounce Nunda....

Sternvogel
07-01-2007, 06:14 PM
There is a street here called "Maria". Apparently people pronounce it "Mariah". I've no idea why, and I refuse to participate.

I've heard that there's a place where they call the wind Maria (http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/paintyourwagon/theycallthewindmaria.htm), pronouncing it ma-RYE-a. The same pronunciation is used in the phrase Black Maria (http://www.answers.com/black+maria&r=67), a synonym for paddy wagon.

SurrenderDorothy: I pronounce Laura "LAWR-a". If I heard "LAIR-a" or "LAR-a", I'd assume the name was spelled Lara.

Spoke
07-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Guy.

Jayn_Newell
07-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Dana--Day-na or Dawn-a.

Chanteuse
07-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Dana--Day-na or Dawn-a.

I knew two people with the name Dana.

One was a man, who pronounced it DAY-na.

The other was a woman--she pronounced it as DAN-na.

Adoptamom_II
07-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Down south we have a corner on this market.

Our pediatrician's name is Chevalier, which can be pronounced Shev-a-leer or Shev-all-yay.

Robert is Robert like the name or Ro-bear (that's one's about 50%/50%). Same with Hebert except it's almost always aye-bear.

Melancon = mel-awe-sawn

Boudreaux - boo-droe

Thibodeaux = ti-buh-doe

My favorite is to get Yankees to try and pronounce the name of this town. (http://www.google.com/maps?q=Natchitoches,+LA,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title)

knack-i-dish I wish I knew how to make a spoiler box.

OtakuLoki
07-01-2007, 09:16 PM
type the word 'spoiler' between these brackets [ ], type your spoiler comment, then type '/spoiler' between the brackets again.

If you go to reply to this post you'll be able to see the codes that let me put the pronounciation you'd listed in to this spoiler box.

knack-i-dish

Adoptamom_II
07-01-2007, 09:28 PM
type the word 'spoiler' between these brackets [ ], type your spoiler comment, then type '/spoiler' between the brackets again.

Thanks! I've learned my new thing for the day ... guess I can go to bed now :)

Ms. Pumpkin
07-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Dana--Day-na or Dawn-a.

My name's Donna, and I recently had the experience of being on the phone with a customer service rep. who wanted to spell it d-a-n-a. I was really confused then, but I guess that explains it. I've never heard of Dana being pronounced like that.

This is more regional accent than anything, but I say "don-uh". Like the men's name Don(btw I pronounce Dawn and Don identically). A lot of people say my name as something like "dahh-nuh", which sounds so wrong to me.

An Gadaí
07-01-2007, 10:27 PM
My name Cormac can be pronounced:
Cor-muck
Cor-mick
Car-mick
Cor-mack

and several times in the United States I've been called Mac-Cor-mack probably because it's not such a common name in those parts and is often only heard as a surname.