PDA

View Full Version : And now for a brief intermission

JohnGalt
10-19-2000, 12:40 PM
What was the last major movie (in the US) that included an intermission?

With some movies over 3 hours (Three Kings, Magnolia, etc.), it's a long wait to use the facilities, especially after a Super-sized Coke. I understand "get 'em in, get 'em out", but I might buy something at the concession stand during intermission, so why don't they put intermissions in films any more?

Aglarond
10-19-2000, 01:14 PM
Can't answer your question. Just wanted to say I liked your user name. Welcome to the boards, anyway.

The last movie I saw with an intermission was Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Probably not the last, though. And there's was meant as a joke.

Saltire
10-19-2000, 01:18 PM
The way I remember it, movies didn't have intermissions. Intermissions were placed between films at a double feature.

Now that the double feature has gone the way of the dodo, no more intermissions.

John Corrado
10-19-2000, 01:26 PM
I am under the impression that Gettysburg, a mid-90's movie that clocked in at around 3 hours, had an intermission.

RESOL
10-19-2000, 01:33 PM
Joh Corrado is right, Gettysburg did have an intermission...that's the only movie I can remember that did...

G.B.H. Hornswoggler
10-19-2000, 01:58 PM
The last movie I saw that had an intermission was Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet back in about 1996.

What about movies that require more than one intermission, like Berlin Alexanderplatz?

Cartooniverse
10-19-2000, 02:04 PM
Roman Polanski's "Tess of The D'Urberville's " (sp?) had an intermission.

Circa...1981?

Cartooniverse

Arken
10-19-2000, 02:30 PM
The more I thought about this, the less sense it makes... Why the hell don't more longer movies have intermissions? If nothing else, you would think Hollywood would want to please the movie theatres. The theatres make $0 off admissions... it all comes out of concession sales. During an intermission, a lot of people might leave to get popcorn who otherwise wouldn't.

troub
10-19-2000, 04:41 PM
Didn't 2001 have an intermission? And I'm sure Schindler's List must have had an intermission, although I'm not sure.

panamajack
10-19-2000, 05:50 PM
Where I saw it, on it's first run, at least, Schindler's List didn't have an intermission.

The last movie I saw that actually had an intermission was Lawrence of Arabia, during its re-release around 1990.

Was Three Kings really that long? Another reason to put it high on the best movie chart. (i.e. the fact that I didn't notice its length, not that it was long)

As to why they aren't used, I don't know. I've heard some stories that in times gone by, it was not uncommon to enter & leave a movie while it was running -- maybe because films were seen more as escapism and less as something to pay attention to. The intermission seems a little like that. As attitudes towards the movies have changed, those making them are perhaps more determined to hold your attention the entire time, and don't want the interruption.

BobT
10-19-2000, 06:20 PM
"The Right Stuff" was shown with an intermission when I saw it in its initial run.
"Little Dorrit" had an intermissions, but that was actually two 3-hour films shown together.

I kept expecting "Dances With Wolves" to have an intermission. It didn't and my large bottle of water weighed heavy on my blatter.

When I saw "Nixon" I bought a bottle of water and as soon as the movie started I dropped it and it rolled under my seat for about 40 rows.

"Schindler's List" had no intermission when I saw it. I didn't see "Titanic" but I don't recall hearing that it had an intermission.

If you see a good print of "Lawrence of Arabia" it should also have an overture and an entr'acte. So you can grab extra time in the lobby eating, drinking, and tending to bodily needs once you hear the music.

aseymayo
10-19-2000, 07:52 PM
The last theater intermission I remember was "Barry Lyndon." Looking back on it now, I wonder why I actually chose to return to my seat instead of running for the exit.

The most recent film that should have had an intermission was "Topsy-Turvy." Don't get me wrong - it's an outstanding movie, especially the performance by Timothy Spall - but about halfway through, I wish I could have been out standing in the lobby, just for a breather. Besides, it would have lent some verisimilitude to the experience of seeing a G&S operetta.

And now...

The Larch

gigi
10-20-2000, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Da Ace
What about movies that require more than one intermission, like Berlin Alexanderplatz?

This was actually not a movie per se, but a German TV miniseries (15 hours). I went to it over a weekend years ago--8 hours one day and 7 the next, with two shorter breaks and a meal break each day.

It was a marathon but very much worth it--Fassbinder was a genius.

One funny thing--on the TV show "Wings", the womanizer brother is talking about this woman he is dating and how he is putting up with her wanting to go to foreign films. I forget the first one he mentioned, but then he says she dragged him to "Berlin Alexanderplatz" next. I guess they just looked the list of Fassbinder's work and picked it for the name, not for them actually being able to see it in a night.

BoBettie
10-20-2000, 10:22 AM
I'm quite sure Amadeous had one.

MDS
10-21-2000, 09:11 AM
I do recall that when I went to see Titanic, there was an intermission. However, it wasn't "built in" to the movie like the intermission for 2001 was - they just stopped it between reels. Must have been some goofy management decision.

Kinda makes sense given Arken's comment - movie theatre owners could just start "making" intermissions like this in longer films, unilaterally. (Notice that I said "could", not "should.")

Crusoe
10-21-2000, 09:14 AM
I saw Dances With Wolves years ago, and they held an intermission to sell burgers and hotdogs just after Costner had eaten the buffalo's innards.

Muffin
01-22-2016, 09:57 PM
Well if enough people simply peed in their seats about halfway through the long movies, theatre management might start having intermissions. So next time you go to a long movie, go.

Muffin
01-22-2016, 10:06 PM
Tarantino's The Hateful Eight is supposed to have one of it's releases including an overture and an intermission.

Wendell Wagner
01-22-2016, 10:12 PM
The Roadshow 70mm Version of The Hateful Eight, which is presently in release, has an intermission (and an overture beforehand).

Terminus Est
01-22-2016, 10:13 PM
The script for The Hateful Eight hadn't even been written when this thread was posted FIFTEEN YEARS AGO.

Muffin
01-22-2016, 10:15 PM
Not films per se, but the movie theatre simulcasts of Live at the Met, including it's replays, include intermissions which provide a needed stretch, and also make the event much more social, for you get to chat with folks about the show.

I very much enjoy long movies that I can settle into, but it would be nice to have intermissions every hour and a half or so, for sometimes being stuck in the chair for so long with the wall of light and sound coming at me, I wonder if the management thinks I am Alex DeLarge.

Muffin
01-22-2016, 10:17 PM
Son of a gun! I was enjoying the thread but never noticed the dates. Sorry folks!

I guess that a somewhat long intermission for a thread.

Leo Bloom
01-22-2016, 11:02 PM
Our Hitler. Speaking of Berlin Alexandplatz. And Schindler's list, but I'm not sure, surely.

keeper0
01-22-2016, 11:49 PM
The script for The Hateful Eight hadn't even been written when this thread was posted FIFTEEN YEARS AGO.

I was wondering why the second poster was welcoming a charter member with 1000 posts to the boards. That explains it.

FluffyBob
01-22-2016, 11:57 PM
Malcolm X had an intermission when I watched it much more than 15 years ago.

engineer_comp_geek
01-23-2016, 12:39 AM
Moderator Action

After a brief intermission, we'll move this thread from General Questions to Cafe Society, which didn't exist when this thread was created.

NDP
01-23-2016, 03:04 AM
This thread is so old (how old is it?) that there have been more than a few threads about the disappearance of intermissions from American movie theaters over the last 25 years (however, it's late and I'm too tired to seach for them).

FTR, the last movie I went to that had an intermission was Gandhi which was released in 1982. Gettysburg had an intermission but that was back in 1993. Aside from The Hateful Eight, I can't think of any film released in the US since then that had an intermission even though there have been more than a few that ran three hours or more.

madsircool
01-23-2016, 05:02 AM
Hateful 8 obviously

RealityChuck
01-23-2016, 06:25 AM
The obvious answer is that intermissions increase the running time, which reduces the number of times a movie can be shown, which is assumed to reduce attendance, which reduces income. Given the user name of the OP, that should be something he favors.

Frank
01-23-2016, 06:32 AM
As to why they aren't used, I don't know. I've heard some stories that in times gone by, it was not uncommon to enter & leave a movie while it was running -- maybe because films were seen more as escapism and less as something to pay attention to. The intermission seems a little like that. As attitudes towards the movies have changed, those making them are perhaps more determined to hold your attention the entire time, and don't want the interruption.
They didn't use to clear people out between showing, plus there were cartoons, serials, etc. You could go in in the middle, sit through everything, say, "This is where I came in at," and leave.

jtur88
01-23-2016, 07:26 AM
The last one I remember was Doctor Zhivago.

randwill
01-23-2016, 10:38 AM
Not a theatrical release but the fan edit of "The Hobbit" by Dustin Lee has an intermission (complete with title card and music) at the halfway point.

Chronos
01-23-2016, 11:26 AM
When I saw one of the Lord of the Rings movies in the on-campus discount theater, they put in an intermission. But I think that that might have been because their equipment wasn't capable of loading up the entire movie at once, and they had to change platters.

bob++
01-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Lawrence of Arabia - just before the intermission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sppPQogIhxs

Uncle Jocko
01-24-2016, 01:43 PM
The Last Emperor (1987) definitely had an intermission. I remember watching that at a poorly attended showing in Ottumwa, Iowa, and the intermission kind of surprised me.

When I saw Titanic, it had an intermission. No, wait, I had to make my own intermission by leaving my seat to go take a pee. Must have been all that water onscreen. That and the large Pepsi I drank.

E-DUB
01-24-2016, 06:00 PM
Last one I saw at theater was "Reds".

JohnGalt
01-24-2016, 09:29 PM
I'm the OP just checking in; of course I forgot I started the thread. It's an honor to have an old thread revived.

As far as the The obvious answer is that intermissions increase the running time, which reduces the number of times a movie can be shown, which is assumed to reduce attendance, which reduces income. Given the user name of the OP, that should be something he favorsI joined in 2000 and had just started reading Atlas Shrugged and loved the first line "Who is John Galt?" Hell if I knew then, and I still don't really know who he is- I just couldn't make it through his speech. The name has nothing to do with my world view....

Now, if that speech was ever included in a movie version of Atlas Shrugged, you certainly have my permission to take an intermission - a LONG intermission. You won't miss anything.

Nikki Tikki Tavi
01-25-2016, 08:32 AM
The Hateful 8 has already been mentioned, the Road Show screenings had a long, luxurious intermission. I wish more movies did, it was wonderful to be able to dash to the bathroom and not have to whisper "what did I miss?" when I came back.

I understand that it increases run time, but theaters would make more money from me if they had intermissions. A lot of times I skip the soda because I don't want to take that bathroom break, I'd buy it more often if knew relief was only an hour away!

infinitii
01-25-2016, 09:39 AM
I've seen several Bollywood/Indian movies in theaters. Most of them have a place for an intermission, and sometimes they will actually do a 10 minute break or so, and sometimes the theater will just ignore it and keep going. It's probably the theater's choice.

Muffin
01-25-2016, 09:52 AM
Hmmm . . . go to a theatre, miss parts of a movie so I can pee; repeatedly get disturbed by other people squeezing in front of me to get out of the row so they can pee, and then repeatedly get disrupted by people squeezing in front of me to get back across the row to their seats after the have peed; pay a lot for refreshments that are no longer at the proper temperature (cold pop, hot popcorn) when I want to munch on them in the middle of a show.

Or just watch at home.

And the theatre operators wonder why so many people have dumped them for home theatre.

Just Asking Questions
01-25-2016, 11:39 AM
Hamlet's (1996) intermission was much needed, but I still boggle at the fact it came like 3.5 hours into a 4 hour movie. My teeth had been floating since before the three hour mark. I knew the intermission was coming, so I toughed it out, but I thought I was gonna burst.

Why couldn't they have put it around 2.5 hours?

Wendell Wagner
01-25-2016, 12:13 PM
The intermission for Hamlet comes at 2:38 (i.e., 158 minutes into the film). The film is 3:58 long (i.e., 238 minutes long) without the intermission and 4:18 long (i.e., 258 minutes long) with the intermission. So you're wrong about the time before the intermission.

AK84
01-25-2016, 01:13 PM
I've seen several Bollywood/Indian movies in theaters. Most of them have a place for an intermission, and sometimes they will actually do a 10 minute break or so, and sometimes the theater will just ignore it and keep going. It's probably the theater's choice.

Sub continental movies are rarely under two hours and usually longer.

As it is, I do know that if a movie ismore than 2 hours long runtime then regulations are that the cinema must have an intermission; whther the movie has one or not. At leasyt thats the case in Islamabad.

Chihuahua
01-25-2016, 01:42 PM
I heard that 2015's Hateful Eight had an intermission.

Ludovic
01-25-2016, 02:04 PM
Now, if that speech was ever included in a movie version of Atlas Shrugged, you certainly have my permission to take an intermission - a LONG intermission. You won't miss anything.That's where I gave up on the book. 20 pages into the monologue, I skipped ahead another good chunk, 50 to 100 pages, to see when it ends -- nope, still talking.

Omar Little
01-25-2016, 02:20 PM
I heard that 2015's Hateful Eight had an intermission.

Not the general theatrical release.

Muffin
02-05-2016, 02:21 PM
According to the Guardian, The Playhouse Cinema, Louth, Lincolnshire, has intermissions. (Playhouse Cinema, Louth, Lincolnshire)

The concession kiosk opts for the traditional. Pop, pick-n-mix, Butterkist and instant coffee is the order of the day. No hot dogs alas, but the Playhouse offers the relative obscurity of Snax – strange potato chips displayed in a glass cabinet.

Best of all, the Playhouse retains a mid-movie intermission complete with ice-creams on sale from a tray-wielding member of staff in the auditorium. If things are really quiet, it’s not unknown for Steven the projectionist to keep the film running, tap you on the shoulder and ask if you want a choc-ice bringing over.