PDA

View Full Version : Does papaya always taste like ass?

Sophistry and Illusion
08-07-2007, 04:47 PM
While recently in Hong Kong, I thought I would branch out and try some exotic produce I hadn't yet had. So I bought a papaya. I took it home, eagerly anticipating a novel taste treat--only to discover that it tasted like it had been marinated in day-old road kill. "Okay," I think, "I'll just chalk this one up to inexperience in selecting papayas." Now I am in the Boston area. A couple of days ago, I notice that the local Stop 'n' Shop has half papayas on sale. So I buy one thinking, "This one will no doubt be better." Again, a dining experience ensues which is reminiscent of a meal the Beverly Hillbillies might have had during their drive west. So what gives? Bad luck? Do I have the rare, dominant "papaya tastes like ass" gene? Or does papaya always taste awful?

jjimm
08-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Yes.

SnakesCatLady
08-07-2007, 05:00 PM
I love papaya - I used to grow it in my yard in Hawaii. Some people put lime juice on it.

fishbicycle
08-07-2007, 05:03 PM
No, but ass tastes remarkably like papaya.

JohnBckWLD
08-07-2007, 05:03 PM
If the papaya you had in Hong Kong tasted like ass, I can't imagine what your reaction to Durian (http://www.durian.net/) would've been.

capybara
08-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Yes, papaya tastes like ass. It used to grow in my yard in Hawaii. And it's ass. I just don't understand papaya at all.

Czarcasm
08-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Moving thread from IMHO to Cafe Society.

Sapo
08-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Wait until you try the papaya risotto

Sophistry and Illusion
08-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Well, it's good to know I'm not a freak. Or if I am, my dislike of papaya is not symptomatic thereof. (Maybe SnakesCatLady is the freak, since she has this inexplicable liking for papaya. :dubious: )

Mangosteen
08-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Your first papaya was in Hong Kong. This fruit is not grown commercially there and probably was picked and shipped in from Thailand or Malaysia several days before. Old papayas taste like ass.

Your second papaya was in Boston. You can imagine when that fruit was actually picked.

If you want a really good papaya, go to a farmers market in Hawaii and eat one. Not everyone likes them, but by trying a really fresh one, you'll give papayas a true taste test.

Mangetout
08-07-2007, 07:19 PM
It's really good dried/candied

Hey, It's That Guy!
08-07-2007, 07:20 PM
I have enjoyed sweet dried red papaya in the past, but I hated a green (unripe?) marinated papaya salad I had at a Vietnamese restaurant. Didn't taste like ass, but sure didn't taste good.

Lemur866
08-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Papaya with lime juice is about three times better than plain papaya. But even then it's not great. I mean, you think papaya should be playing in the same league as mango, but it's not even on the same continent. Mango is sublime, papaya is...."meh".

Lemur866
08-07-2007, 09:38 PM
I forgot to mention. I believe papayas are everywhere in the tropics not because they're so good but because papaya trees are so goddam prolific. One little tree about 8 feet tall will have 10 gigantic papayas ripening.

Earthworm Jim
08-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Wait until you try the papaya risotto
Mmmmm...risottolingus :D

Lucky 13
08-07-2007, 10:06 PM
I've never liked papayas, even though in my country of origin they are grown and eaten regularly. My mom loves them, though. To me, papaya tastes slimy and disgusting. Oh, well, there's no accounting for taste.

Walloon
08-08-2007, 03:23 AM
And how is it you know what "ass" tastes like? :dubious:

Manduck
08-08-2007, 03:41 AM
Papaya is more of an ingredient than a food in itself. A little lime juice, olive oil, red onion, some marjarom, and it's perfectly enjoyable.

madmonk28
08-08-2007, 04:22 AM
I thought I was the only one. It looks great in the bowl, doesn't it? You think it is going to be juicy and sweet, but then: ass.

At least durian smells like it tastes. You have fair warning and if you still eat it, you have no one but yourself to blame.

Sapo
08-08-2007, 04:49 AM
and how is it that you don't?

All joking aside, since papaya seems to be getting no support, I must say I love papaya. The fruit is very sensitive, though. It happens often that the fruit doesn't ripen all the same time, so you have green, ripe and rotten parts in the same fruit. The person cutting it must really know what he is doing, in that case.

Also, they have to ripen in the tree, and they don't last long after that. Store bought papayas, especially in places where they are not grown, are sure to disappoint.

If you really want to hate papayas, wait until you try them on location, from a local.

As said, lime juice does wonders for it. Papaya juice with lemon is heavenly. Also a papaya milkshake with cinnamon. Candied green papaya (dulce de lechosa) is so good, that even the lamest canned varieties are good. That is easy to find in latino supermarkets.

And I remember green papaya used in Thai dishes, but for that I will wait for someone who knows what he is talking about.

Pushkin
08-08-2007, 05:06 AM
I was ready to retort no, but then in the UK Tescos sell them prepacked with a lime, so I can't really comment.

Idlewild
08-08-2007, 06:07 AM
There's an awesome Thai green papaya salad called somtam. That's really the best thing I took away from three years of studying the Thai language :D You shred your green papaya and add stuff - my teacher had a restaurant and her recipe basically involved minced birdseye chilis, lime juice in quantity, palm sugar, fish sauce, and crushed peanuts on top. Man, that was good. I still get cravings for it.

MrDibble
08-08-2007, 06:18 AM
Wait, are we talking paw-paw here? Man, I love that stuff. How can you have a fruit salad without paw-paw?

Least Original User Name Ever
08-08-2007, 06:28 AM
You're eating it from the wrong end.

ShibbOleth
08-08-2007, 06:43 AM
There's an awesome Thai green papaya salad called somtam. That's really the best thing I took away from three years of studying the Thai language :D You shred your green papaya and add stuff - my teacher had a restaurant and her recipe basically involved minced birdseye chilis, lime juice in quantity, palm sugar, fish sauce, and crushed peanuts on top. Man, that was good. I still get cravings for it.

Yeah, this is the stuff. Tastes nothing like ass (although it might be redolent of dead fish), but you pound the hell out of it in a mortar, add lime juice and fish sauce, both which break down the fruit, plus sugar, chilis, peanuts, and in the "Isaarn" version they add little crabs and double or triple up the fish sauce. Awesome stuff, you typically eat with sticky rice.

I had a Vietnamese version of this on Saturday just to compare. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't nearly as good, either. I think they just shread and add a few things.

Note that these are both green papaya dishes, I don't have much experience with the ripened version. Mangoes are the way to go there.

pulykamell
08-08-2007, 07:03 AM
Wait, are we talking paw-paw here? Man, I love that stuff. How can you have a fruit salad without paw-paw?

I don't know. What we call pawpaw here in the Midwest perhaps rest of the US is not papaya, although it bears some superficial resemblance to it.

elmwood
08-08-2007, 07:05 AM
So, what's with all the papaya stands in every other streetcorner in Manhattan (http://www.google.com/search?q=papaya+manhattan)? Do they grow them in greenhouses there? Fresh daily shipments from Hawaii? New Yorkers like the taste of ass? Something else?

EddyTeddyFreddy
08-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Agreed. Cantaloupe is pretty good that way too, although I found it a bit too sweet.

Cervaise
08-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Wait until you try the papaya risotto— golf clap —

Staggerlee
08-08-2007, 09:19 AM
If you really want to hate papayas, wait until you try them on location, from a local. I agree. Then you can throw it straight back in the grower's face.

Cat Fight
08-08-2007, 09:23 AM
I'd say it tastes more like vomit than ass.

But I still love it.

Spoke
08-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Does papaya always taste like ass?

After using, but before eating, remember to rinse your papaya well.

vivalostwages
08-08-2007, 11:26 AM
The smell alone (just like vomit) is more than enough to keep me from tasting it.

Sophistry and Illusion
08-08-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm culinarily adventuresome.

Ignatz
08-08-2007, 05:58 PM

Which?

ShibbOleth
08-08-2007, 09:30 PM

Is this the source of the term "candy ass"?

Lama Pacos
08-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Papaya is such a cruel joke. It looks delicious and tropicaltastic, yet always tastes like baby diapers.

OpalCat
08-08-2007, 09:54 PM
I think most people who have been sexually active for a while and aren't totally squeamish prudes know what ass tastes like.

Joools
08-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Gotta disagree with you all here: papaya tastes like feet.

MrDibble
08-09-2007, 04:34 AM
I don't know. What we call pawpaw here in the Midwest perhaps rest of the US is not papaya, although it bears some superficial resemblance to it.

What I can see in the Wiki article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaya) looks like what I'd call paw-paw, down to the mass of black seeds in the middle cavity. Certainly nothing like this description (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pawpaw) .

lieu
08-09-2007, 08:21 AM
I think most people who have been sexually active for a while and aren't totally squeamish prudes know what ass tastes like.I don't... but I think I'll learn with a papaya.

Walloon
08-09-2007, 10:36 AM
I think most people who have been sexually active for a while and aren't totally squeamish prudes know what ass tastes like.So anyone who hasn't eaten stool is a totally squeamish prude. Got it.

OpalCat
08-09-2007, 10:58 AM
So anyone who hasn't eaten stool is a totally squeamish prude. Got it.
Uh, wow. I now know a lot more about your hygiene than I wanted to. Some of us don't have stool-encrusted asses, thanks. For example, some of us bathe.

Walloon
08-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Otherwise, what are you referring to when you talk about what "ass" tastes like? Skin? Don't think that's what you mean. The original question above was referring to a disgusting taste that papaya has. It's comparing the taste of papaya to the taste of stool, don't kid yourself that it's not.

Sapo
08-09-2007, 11:31 AM
I am speechless. (not that I have ever let that stop me from posting anyways).

Does a nose taste like boogers? your partner's just showered genitalia like pee? A kiss like yesterday's chawarma?

Have your school organize a trip to Walgreen's, my friend.

Jeep's Phoenix
08-09-2007, 11:38 AM
:confused: Having never tried it either way, even I know what they're talking about in this thread is called "analingus". What you're trying to describe there is "coprophagia" -- an entirely different thing.

Walloon
08-09-2007, 11:43 AM
So just what are people talking about when referring to the taste of papaya being disgusting and comparing it to "ass"? What is this disgusting taste coming from, and why would it be coming from the ass? Let's get serious.

lieu
08-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Hmmm... what if someone ate some papaya. Then their ass would really taste like ass.

BaneSidhe
08-09-2007, 11:55 AM
The dried strips I get from the health food store for my bunnies isn't bad but not something I'd eat every day.

Sapo
08-09-2007, 12:09 PM
So just what are people talking about when referring to the taste of papaya being disgusting and comparing it to "ass"? What is this disgusting taste coming from, and why would it be coming from the ass? Let's get serious.
From the OP, it seems like he has been licking the posterior of dead animals on the road. It is always compared to roadkill, until he mentions the responsible gene.

Siam Sam
08-09-2007, 12:13 PM
I love papaya - I used to grow it in my yard in Hawaii. Some people put lime juice on it.
Ah yes, but you see, that was the trick. It was Hawaiian papaya. That is hands down the best papaya I've ever had. It's smaller than the variety grown in Thailand, which is quite large. The stuff we have here I would not say tastes like ass, but it is often flavorless. Hawaiian papaya is the best I've ever found.

Pineapple, too.

Siam Sam
08-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Your first papaya was in Hong Kong. This fruit is not grown commercially there and probably was picked and shipped in from Thailand or Malaysia several days before. Old papayas taste like ass.

Your second papaya was in Boston. You can imagine when that fruit was actually picked.

If you want a really good papaya, go to a farmers market in Hawaii and eat one. Not everyone likes them, but by trying a really fresh one, you'll give papayas a true taste test.
There, you see? There's some wonderful fruit in Thailand and Malaysia, some I'd never even heard of or seen let alone tasted until I came over here, but no one beats Hawaii for fresh papaya.

And pineapple. Although ... I've heard they don't grow pineapple in Hawaii any more. The big companies moved operations over here, because of cheaper costs? Can that be that true??

Cervaise
08-09-2007, 12:26 PM
So just what are people talking about when referring to the taste of papaya being disgusting and comparing it to "ass"?It's called "humor." It has a long and honorable tradition. You may wish to look into it.

lieu
08-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Pineapple, too.Tastes like dump cake?

Siam Sam
08-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Tastes like dump cake?
No, tastes like feet.

Nah, just kidding. Hawaiian pineapple is sweeter than what I've found over here.

Vinyl Turnip
08-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Some of us don't have stool-encrusted asses, thanks. For example, some of us bathe.

Some of us even perch our bathed asses on jewel-encrusted stools!

My wife, who hails from a tropical country, loves papaya. I'd love to agree, but I have to side with the "vomit" crowd. Specifically, it's like overripe cantaloupe that smells of an infant's spoiled-milky/bilious puke.

Sapo
08-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Maybe it is the same hawaiian papaya that is getting praise here, but there is a variety of papaya that is very small, its shape more like a football than the regular zeppelin shape, its meat is very red. Its taste is very sweet and very different from regular papayas. Maybe those who are still willing to give papaya another chance could try to find this one.

Siam Sam
08-09-2007, 01:04 PM
That sounds like Hawaiian papaya. Shaped like a small football and very sweet. What we have over here is zeppelin-shaped and tends to taste like cardboard.

Spoke
08-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Uh, wow. I now know a lot more about your hygiene than I wanted to. Some of us don't have stool-encrusted asses, thanks. For example, some of us bathe.

How's a fellow supposed to get that good papaya flavor off of that?

Sophistry and Illusion
08-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Otherwise, what are you referring to when you talk about what "ass" tastes like? Skin? Don't think that's what you mean. The original question above was referring to a disgusting taste that papaya has. It's comparing the taste of papaya to the taste of stool, don't kid yourself that it's not.
Relax, Walloon, I was being facetious.

You seem personally affronted by my insults to the papaya. So tell me, Walloon, are you perhaps a papaya? Don't be afraid of confession; we are a very tolerant bunch on this board.

BMax
08-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Once while in the supermarket with my Bronxa Rican then-girlfriend I decided to be adventurous and put a papaya in the cart. "You like papaya?" she asked me, her big dark brown eyes full of doubt, grabbing a bag & filling it with limes. "I've never had it before" I replied. She prepared it in a salad with mango, pineapple and cantaloupe and lots of lime juice. I politely ate it but didn't enjoy it. I found that by holding my breath I wouldn't smell the dirty diaper and could enjoy the sweetness and comparitive firmness of the other fruits and the sour of the lime.

We never bought another papaya after that.

Now I can always tell when they have papaya in the groery store because the produce section smells like dirty diapers.

iwakura43
08-09-2007, 02:52 PM
So, what's with all the papaya stands in every other streetcorner in Manhattan (http://www.google.com/search?q=papaya+manhattan)? Do they grow them in greenhouses there? Fresh daily shipments from Hawaii? New Yorkers like the taste of ass? Something else?

They're not "papaya stands"; they sell hot dogs :p

The name derives from the vaguely papaya-based fruit juice drink you can get with your 'dog, but there's a half dozen other options as well. Fresh pineapple juice, or pina colada juice, are the best IMHO.

Mangosteen
08-09-2007, 06:26 PM
And pineapple. Although ... I've heard they don't grow pineapple in Hawaii any more. The big companies moved operations over here, because of cheaper costs? Can that be that true??

Still lots of pineapple grown in Hawaii.

Siam Sam
08-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Still lots of pineapple grown in Hawaii.
Glad to hear it. It's the best I've found.

pravnik
08-10-2007, 11:43 AM

But I still love it.Same here. I never really had papaya until I vacationed in Mexico, and I distinctly noted the vomit taste and smell. I still loved it, though, like "wow, this is delicious...too bad someone barfed on it."

I got some the other day that tasted strongly like maple syrup. Papaya, vomit, and maple syrup. Weirdly enough, the maple syrup taste grossed me out more than the vomit taste.

SmackFu
08-10-2007, 12:39 PM
As someone mentioned above, papaya really disappoints me. It comes in glorious tropical fruit salads, and it just isn't very good at all. I had some local ones in Costa Rica, and just didn't even eat it after a few tries.

OTOH, local pineapple is glorious. Sweeter than you can imagine it could be.

Hello Again
08-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Its a pretty color, but to me it tastes like soap. I am also a "cilantro-soap-taster." I wonder if there's any connection?

DKW
08-10-2007, 01:44 PM
[Sheesh...finally a topic I have a solid response for, and it's warped into a friggin' corprororophagia discussion...]

My family once had a papaya tree which I, despite never caring much for papayas, had to eat most of the products of on account of everyone else being on vacation. They were fairly small....slightly smaller than a softball, I'd estimate...and round, reddish-orange on the inside. And exquisite. I tell you, even some mangos had nothing on those papayas.

The reason for my initial recalcitrance, of course, was the few times I'd eaten store-bought papayas...y'know, the big yellow-orange gourd shapes. Some of them were just awful (the word I'd used is "plaster", although just about any buliding material will suffice). I'm pretty sure this was an unwanted effect of all the genetic manipulation needed to make them that big and abundant, although admittedly some of them may have been simply unripe. Properly ripened store papayas, although not comparable to those homegrown reddish-orange beauties, are pretty good.

In my experience, no fruit (with the possible exception of cherries) has a greater gamut of quality than papayas, and because of that, you're far more likely to get a bad papaya than a bad kiwifruit, banana, or even apple. So while papayas may not always taste like...whatever, I can forgive you for thinking that.

P.S.: If you're thinking of owning a papaya tree, be advised that it never stops growing, and cutting even part of it down effectively halts its fruit production. Have a tall ladder handy.

lieu
08-10-2007, 01:49 PM
So what's the best way to choose a papaya, given that when they're bad they're really bad? Is it size, color, firmness, season? Is indication usually given as to their place of origin? What's the key?

Sapo
08-10-2007, 06:26 PM
So what's the best way to choose a papaya, given that when they're bad they're really bad? Is it size, color, firmness, season? Is indication usually given as to their place of origin? What's the key?
mostly, luck. And trust in your source. Sorry. A confident seller will be willing to cut it open for you and show you that it is good. You will have to eat it that same day, of course.

The main issue I have found with papayas (the long ones) is that they don't ripen evenly. Soft spots or green hard sections are a clear sign that you will only be eating a part of your expensive chunk of tropicalness, so steer clear from those.

Other than that, it is really hit or miss. Colour is not much of an indicator, although don't buy a green one, of course. You do want it to be yielding yet firm, but that is no indicator that it will taste right. In the end, a crappy papaya looks and feels pretty much like a good one. If anything, interior colour is the best indicator. You want it to be as red as possible. Pumpkin orange is not good.

Johnny L.A.
08-10-2007, 06:40 PM

But I still love it.
I agree. Seems like the ones I've been getting lately smell like vomit. But I like them with lime juice or lemon juice.

Spoke
08-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Incidentally, I appreciate the lime juice tip. I have some Thai friends who own a restaurant, and they are always giving me papayas. I'll have to try the lime juice thing.

Mangosteen
08-10-2007, 08:07 PM
P.S.: If you're thinking of owning a papaya tree, be advised that it never stops growing, and cutting even part of it down effectively halts its fruit production. Have a tall ladder handy.

Don't really need a tall ladder. At about 6 or 8 feet you'll notice small branches developing about 3 or 4 feet off the ground. Simply cut the main trunk off above one of these branches and they will soon develop fruit. I've seen papaya plants with 8 "arms" all with fruit.

Siam Sam
08-10-2007, 08:09 PM
In addition to lime juice, once in Hawaii it was served to me with blended macadamia nuts filling the hollow of the fruit. That was very good.

CBEscapee
08-10-2007, 08:17 PM
I love papaya and it doesn't taste anything like ass. I eat it nearly daily at breakfast. There are btw different types of papaya. Around here the commercially grown variety are maradol. They aren'y nearly as tasty as the criollo which used to grow everywhere but have been crossbred out of existence here.

ShibbOleth
08-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Incidentally, I appreciate the lime juice tip. I have some Thai friends who own a restaurant, and they are always giving me papayas. I'll have to try the lime juice thing.

Have them teach you to make somtum, or anything else they might recommend with it. I'm sure they'd love to.

Spoke
08-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Have them teach you to make somtum, or anything else they might recommend with it. I'm sure they'd love to.

I'll ask about that. Thanks for the tip!

Siam Sam
08-10-2007, 08:40 PM
I'll ask about that. Thanks for the tip!
When you do, you might want to pronounce it as somtam, with the "a" the same as in "father, and the "t" pronounced mote like a "d"." It's usually rendered on English-language menus as "spicy papaya salad." Really is quite good.

Love Rhombus
08-11-2007, 09:49 AM
And "papya" is just a damn fun word to say. Like "scuba" or "muckluck" or bambino".

Also, I love the candied papaya. However, the response here has convinced me to stay away from the fresh stuff. No bumfruit for me!

Siam Sam
08-11-2007, 08:51 PM
And "papya" is just a damn fun word to say. Like "scuba" or "muckluck" or bambino".
Or "kumquat."

Autolycus
08-12-2007, 02:13 AM
For the record, I have never eaten a papaya, nor have I placed one anywhere near my anal cavity.

Spoke
08-12-2007, 07:25 AM
And "papya" is just a damn fun word to say.

And "Hawaiian papaya" is just double the fun.