PDA

View Full Version : 12-Year-Old Fashion Model. Great.

Cat Fight
09-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Read the article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=482192&in_page_id=1879) (though the bit about not wearing 'attractive' clothing doesn't mesh with her available bikini pics)

Should I even be surprised? I know model agents who balk when I tell themn they shouldn't take on anyone younger than 16 (and even then). They stop listening when I explain puberty to them. As in, if she's thin and 'hot' now, it doesn't mean she went through puberty, it means she's starting puberty, and will gain much more weight before she gets to 21. Not that they have any problem dropping them once they're done getting their 15 %...

Waverly
09-18-2007, 02:06 PM
I clicked and expected a one way ticket to hell. Good news, though. She looks like a little girl, and I didn't find it the least bit provocative.

Cat Fight
09-18-2007, 02:20 PM
I clicked and expected a one way ticket to hell. Good news, though. She looks like a little girl, and I didn't find it the least bit provocative.

Then don't check out this one (http://gawker.com/news/to-catch-a-predator/she-didnt-look-a-day-under-14-300607.php) (Taxi driver much?). Not that there have never been 12-year-old runway models in the U.S. before. I remember one girl doing runway in California a few years back. She still played with Barbies.

Zebra
09-18-2007, 02:34 PM
But the 5ft 7ins youngster, who turned 13 yesterday, believed she deserved to win the modelling competition to become the 'face' of the show.

"I believe that I can fit into women's clothes. I can model women's clothes, so I should be able to do it," she said.

"It doesn't matter about age, it matters that you can do the job. Modelling is all I've wanted to do since I was six - I don't think I'm too young."

And Fashion Week spokesman Kelly Wieler said Maddison was not too young.

"Maddy got in because she was the best contestant - the judges saw that she was fit to do the job."

She added that the schoolgirl would not be modelling swimwear or lingerie.

Bolding mine.

Hey, if she keeps up her schoolwork and her parents don't blow the money and hold it for her to have as an adult, I don't see the difference between her and Dakota Fanning.

Freudian Slit
09-18-2007, 02:35 PM
This isn't all that new, is it? Most models start off very young nowadays because it's a better investment for an agency to have someone with a potentially longer career ahead of them.

Her face is a little scary to me, though.

TLDRIDKJKLOLFTW
09-18-2007, 02:36 PM
I'd bone her.

Contrapuntal
09-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Shades of Pretty Baby. Thirty years later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Baby_(film)

Waverly
09-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Nope, I'm still OK. She just looks like a coltish young girl. Pretty, but not sexy. I think several years ago Jamie King would have been a better example of a young girl easily mistaken for a woman.

Hostile Dialect
09-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Nope, I'm still OK. She just looks like a coltish young girl. Pretty, but not sexy. I think several years ago Jamie King would have been a better example of a young girl easily mistaken for a woman.

That's the thing--she looks like a woman in every way except that you can see her in that skimpy picture someone linked to above, and not be turned on. There must be some visual cue we only recognize subconsciously (it helps, of course, that she hasn't, um, "bloomed" much). "Pretty, but not sexy" is exactly right--it's hard to figure out how she would be tittilating to the over-13 crowd.

Something tells me she's beating boys away with a stick at her school, though.

Swampwolf
09-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Look on the bright side. At last, there's a model who's supposed to be built like a 12 year old.

Cat Fight
09-18-2007, 02:54 PM
At last, there's a model who's supposed to be built like a 12 year old.

True, true. And designers can finally admit their clothing is made to fit 12-year-olds. Best of all, 9-year-olds with eating disorders will have someone closer to their age to look up to. Everyone wins!

Waverly
09-18-2007, 02:58 PM
There must be some visual cue we only recognize subconsciously (it helps, of course, that she hasn't, um, "bloomed" much).I think so too, and I think that cue is more complex than just some boobs. More of a waist? More of a knowing look in the eyes? Iím not sure. I was just surprised following the link because I was expecting one of those creepy situations where you canít tell the model is a kid, and there is an element of sexuality.

KGS
09-18-2007, 03:01 PM
That's the thing--she looks like a woman in every way except that you can see her in that skimpy picture someone linked to above, and not be turned on. There must be some visual cue we only recognize subconsciously (it helps, of course, that she hasn't, um, "bloomed" much). "Pretty, but not sexy" is exactly right--it's hard to figure out how she would be tittilating to the over-13 crowd. Not to turn this into an AOC debate, but if a man looks at that bikini picture and doesn't get turned on, he must be gay or something. She doesn't look a day under 20 in that photo. (And I like small boobs!)

People keep forgetting that children physically mature much, much faster these days. And since the human eye has evolved to be naturally attracted by youth (i.e. a healthy, long-lifespan female was preferred because they're less likely to die from disease or old age @30) -- well, that's the disconnect fueling this sort of outrage. Frankly, I don't think a pedophile would look twice at those photos -- she's way too old for them.

John Mace
09-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Then don't check out this one (http://gawker.com/news/to-catch-a-predator/she-didnt-look-a-day-under-14-300607.php) (Taxi driver much?). Not that there have never been 12-year-old runway models in the U.S. before. I remember one girl doing runway in California a few years back. She still played with Barbies.
The body says "maybe 16", but the face says "12".

Bricker
09-18-2007, 03:49 PM
The dingo ate my baby's innocence.

Justin_Bailey
09-18-2007, 04:04 PM
She doesn't look a day under 20 in that photo.

Agreed. You can tell she's a teenager in the candid photo in the OP, but I think if you show this picture to 100 people "blind," most will say she's over 18.

Wile E
09-18-2007, 04:20 PM
You can't see much of her body in that picture. She looks pretty but very young and certainly does not look like a catwalking high fashion model to me. But this 17 year old girl (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=482194&in_page_id=1879) is gorgeous!

Otto
09-18-2007, 04:31 PM
I think we're all losing sight of a very important part of this Pitting, and that's her parents.

Not for letting her model at this age. For naming her "Maddison" with two Ds. For that there can be no forgiveness.

ShibbOleth
09-18-2007, 04:33 PM

My daughter plays U-12 soccer, so I'm subjected to lots of girls this age. The girl in the photo looks plain to me. I wouldn't have been attracted to her at 12-14 and am not attracted to her now. Of course that means squat about whether she's able to model clothes. Aren't most fashion models being looked at by women and mostly gay men? As an adult male I'd have probably never been exposed to her picture if it weren't for the Dope.

xnylder
09-18-2007, 04:49 PM
So many things seem wrongheaded about this choice, besides the obvious "she's too damn young" angle. Are the Gold Coast Fashion Week organizers insane? I can't believe that a) a 12-year-old has better charisma and looks than any other more experienced model who applied for the job and b) the "official ambassador" for a fashion event in the Gold Coast isn't going to have to wear swimwear. Um, isn't Australia's Gold Coast one of the surf capitals of the world? It's not that they're choosing this girl to be in one or two shows, they're choosing her to represent the whole event. That strikes me as a couple of degrees below barmy. Mothers on the whole might be offended, but models in Australia* must be feeling downright insulted.

(*Not that these categories are mutually exclusive.)

Freudian Slit
09-18-2007, 04:53 PM
That strikes me as a couple of degrees below barmy. Mothers on the whole might be offended, but models in Australia* must be feeling downright insulted.
They're probably used to it. It's an industry where you can't afford to feel insulted every time you don't get chosen because you're too old/don't look a certain way.

tdn
09-18-2007, 05:19 PM
As an adult male I'd have probably never been exposed to her picture if it weren't for the Dope.
Fighting mature, adult, non-criminal attractions since 1973. It's taking longer than we thought.

Cat Fight
09-18-2007, 05:21 PM
They're probably used to it. It's an industry where you can't afford to feel insulted every time you don't get chosen because you're too old/don't look a certain way.

Which is one reason 12-year-olds shouldn't be involved. It's sort of sick how many people (on other boards, comment sections of newspapers, etc.) see no problem with her age, only her lack of beauty. What are the odds she won't be exposed to nasty comments about her look? Is she asking for it because she wants to be in the limelight? What about when modeling agents ask her to lose 20lbs? And if guys do find her attractive, is the modeling industry enabling pedos?

The modeling and fashion industries are nasty places for fully-grown college graduates. They are no place for pre-pubescents.

Comparing child models (in general, even those who aren't tarted up to look 20) to child actors has some validity, but the film business is much more strictly monitored as far as kids are concerned (at least in the US), and guess what? If a kid wants to be an actor, they can practice acting, take classes, try out for plays. If they want to be a model they can... starve? Practice pouting? (In all fairness, they're just as likely to starve to become actresses in Hollywood these days, who are told to lose weight as often as models. But there are still actors, however few, who still concentrate more on their craft than their thighs...)

Hippy Hollow
09-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Her face is a little scary to me, though.
Oh yeah. Looks like that guy who plays the wife on the "Married News Team" from Tom Goes to the Mayor.

catsix
09-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Zebra cited:
She added that the schoolgirl would not be modelling swimwear or lingerie.

If this (http://cache.gawker.com/assets/resources/2007/09/Maddison3PCE_228x395.jpg) isn't swimwear or lingerie, I'll eat my own shorts.

They're right at gawker.com. We call a 21 year-old man a predator if he has sex with a 16 year old, but we put a 12 year-old girl on a billboard looking like that for no reason other than to be thought sexy and desirable by men and women alike - men who will want to bang her, and women who will starve themselves to try to look like her.

No way does that kid belong on a runway.

Vinyl Turnip
09-18-2007, 06:16 PM
If this (http://cache.gawker.com/assets/resources/2007/09/Maddison3PCE_228x395.jpg) isn't swimwear or lingerie, I'll eat my own shorts.

Aw, come on. I see preteen girls walking down the street all the time wearing bikinis, pearls, "old lady gardener" straw hats, and chrome Ziggy Stardust eye shadow.

And most of them appear to be asleep, too.

appleciders
09-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Comparing child models (in general, even those who aren't tarted up to look 20) to child actors has some validity, but the film business is much more strictly monitored as far as kids are concerned (at least in the US), and guess what? If a kid wants to be an actor, they can practice acting, take classes, try out for plays. If they want to be a model they can... starve? Practice pouting? (In all fairness, they're just as likely to starve to become actresses in Hollywood these days, who are told to lose weight as often as models. But there are still actors, however few, who still concentrate more on their craft than their thighs...)

That analogy doesn't hold up. Child actors are hired to portray children. This is a child being hired to portray an adult.

The King of Soup
09-18-2007, 08:54 PM
A twelve-year-old model who looks somewhat older may not by herself bring about the downfall of civilisation. But she does do something.

She moves the curve (so to speak).

The standard for fashion models (that class chosen to exemplify desirability) now begins at her, instead of a near-adult, and ends - I don't know where, but somewhere younger than where it used to. The new edge of the curve is now not poor Maddison, but her figurative little sister.

Young Miss Maddison has only to worry about advancing to maturity while maintaining her current weight for about thirteen more years, while figuring out what this strange activity she's doing actually means. Narrow, high rope, and a very long one too. I hope she's up to it, or that someone who loves her is willing to hold the net.

eleanorigby
09-18-2007, 09:18 PM

I think it's both swimwear AND lingerie....

There are plenty of gorgeous, somewhat older females out there that could represent this show or whatever just as well. I smell PR and a sharp agent for Maddison. (it hurt to type that second d).

KneadToKnow
09-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Here's a fun thought: if Jon Benet had lived, she'd be 5 years older than this girl and still not legal.

eleanorigby
09-18-2007, 09:26 PM
How so? That'd make her 18. :confused:

KneadToKnow
09-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Thread title says "12." I went by that in calculating "5 years older." I guess I should have said 4 years older.

Jon Benet would have turned 17 on August 6, according to Wikipedia.

Hostile Dialect
09-18-2007, 09:53 PM
There is a point that people are physically maturing younger and younger, and socially/sexually maturing at a faster rate, too. I can't think of a definition of "woman" that fits this 12-year-old, granted.

But also note that it's not at all uncommon for models to start at 12 or 13. It's just unusual that one received basically top billing at a major fashion show. Worrying? Maybe, but the idea of girls in middle school subsisting on yogurt so they can keep their modeling jobs is nothing new. I tutored a (14-year-old) girl like that in math right after I graduated from high school in 2004.

And she came on to me big time. I was 17 at the time, but it was still a little creepy, especially since she was in 8th grade and I was her TA. Needless to say, I distanced myself as much as possible. And it would've actually been more illegal than if I were 18 at the time, since in California two consenting minors are both criminals. FWIW, she ended up in a mental institution, last I heard. I don't know how much her "career" contributed to that, or didn't.

And if guys do find her attractive, is the modeling industry enabling pedos?

You mean ephebophiles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephebophile), I'm sure. And those guys, unfortunately, don't have to resort to news pictures of scantily-clad young models to get their fix. There's some nasty, nasty stuff on that Internet.

in general, even those who aren't tarted up to look 20

Well, gee, I'm glad you're not throwing around

nasty comments about her look

Argent Towers
09-18-2007, 09:57 PM
I think the girl in the OP is average at best, unattractive at worst. Nothing about her face says "beauty" to me.

Boyo Jim
09-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Here's a fun thought: if Jon Benet had lived, she'd be 5 years older than this girl and still not legal.

I remember published pics of Jon Benet that were much creepier and disturbing than these. I'm not sure what that means, if anything...

Cat Fight
09-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Well, gee, I'm glad you're not throwing around

I'm not. I don't think she's too 'tarted up' in those photos, and if she were it only means that the make-up artist, stylist, photographer and her agent decided the theme of the photo shoot was 'sad prostitute' or whatever passes for creative vision in some mags.

KGS
09-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Comparing child models (in general, even those who aren't tarted up to look 20) to child actors has some validity, but the film business is much more strictly monitored as far as kids are concerned (at least in the US) Yeah, and look at how most child actors turn out. :rolleyes:

(At least at the celebrity level -- becoming a film extra is actually a sweet summer job for a kid. It's fun, good pay, and the kids always have chaperones. If you want regular work you need to live in L.A., though.)

Man With a Cat
09-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Not to turn this into an AOC debate, but if a man looks at that bikini picture and doesn't get turned on, he must be gay or something. She doesn't look a day under 20 in that photo. (And I like small boobs!)

Ok then color me pink, she does nothing for me.

I like thin, I like young (sometimes) but that LOOKS like a a child.

I don't like children that way.

Scissorjack
09-19-2007, 12:57 AM
I'd bone her.

See, you're just trying too hard to piss people off now. After a while ennui replaces irritation, and what was once inflammatory is now just the hollow clattering noise of VCO3 straining for outrage. It's the sound of someone trying to start a clapped out two stroke mower.

MrDibble
09-19-2007, 02:43 AM

I think the quote means she won't be wearing anything like that at Fashion Week.

Declan
09-19-2007, 03:06 AM
I think the girl in the OP is average at best, unattractive at worst. Nothing about her face says "beauty" to me.

Basically you have just described most models. They are basically animated dolls that pitch hair, clothing , shoes , life style and can be made up in various configurations depending on what a particular client wants.

At 13 she is young , but not that young and the teen market for fashion and lifestyle products is almost as lucrative as the adult market. I think they are just rolling her out as the next in the A list model , exposing her to a larger market before she starts covering 17 and what ever other teen fashion mags.

Declan

bbs2k
09-19-2007, 03:40 AM
See, you're just trying too hard to piss people off now. After a while ennui replaces irritation, and what was once inflammatory is now just the hollow clattering noise of VCO3 straining for outrage. It's the sound of someone trying to start a clapped out two stroke mower.I laughed, though I rarely take anything he says seriously outside of the Cafe forum.

Nava
09-19-2007, 04:52 AM
So many things seem wrongheaded about this choice, besides the obvious "she's too damn young" angle. Are the Gold Coast Fashion Week organizers insane?

The organizers knew that by choosing a kid they'd be making headlines. I'd never heard of that show until this thread.

I used to get the fashion channel and zipping through it have seen catwalk models whose faces were deformed - they would never be chosen for photographs. But rail-skinny, yes sir, I've seen pots of still-boiling chicken stock with the bones better hidden.

KGS
09-19-2007, 08:40 AM
The organizers knew that by choosing a kid they'd be making headlines. I'd never heard of that show until this thread.
DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!!

Cat Fight
09-19-2007, 09:23 AM
DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!!

According to this (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/17/wfashion117.xml) the judges did not know her age (though the organizers damn well did and shouldn't have let her enter at all).

And for those who think she looks like a girl rather than a woman, um, when's the last time you saw a fashion show (http://galleries.lycos.co.uk/d/3505-2/Bangkok+fashion+week2.jpg)? The age of the Amazon has come and gone (not that expecting women to be 5ft11, 125lbs and a D-cup is any more realistic). And the idea that swimwear and lingerie are the only 'sexy' things on the runway is just plain wrong.

The Kinf of Soup is right. I could only be a matter of time before abnormally tall 10-year-olds are the norm, because, you know, they're so 'fresh-faced.'

spifflog
09-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Much ado about nothing. Must be a slow news day.

She wearing a bathing suit? OMG! The same thing that millions of girls across the world wear each and every Summer at the beach. Hell, the same thing millions of 5 year olds wear each and every Summer at the beach.

Like every child, her parents need to teach her the ways of the world, watch over her, and ensure she's given the tools to succeed in the world. If she isn't given that info, model or not she's screwed.

PunditLisa
09-20-2007, 08:31 AM
I think we're all losing sight of a very important part of this Pitting, and that's her parents.

Not for letting her model at this age. For naming her "Maddison" with two Ds. For that there can be no forgiveness.

:snort: There can be no reddemption!

fessie
09-20-2007, 08:48 AM
How about an 8-yr-old (http://cgi.ebay.com/ANGEL-SOPHIE-DESIGNS-European-Inspired-CAMO-SKIRT_W0QQitemZ280153859432QQihZ018QQcategoryZ79718QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) ?

NurseCarmen
09-20-2007, 08:52 AM
I dunno, her face doesn't look old enough. Or it looks odd somehow.

Does it take 6 years for the face to grow in?

xnylder
09-20-2007, 09:25 AM
How about an 8-yr-old (http://cgi.ebay.com/ANGEL-SOPHIE-DESIGNS-European-Inspired-CAMO-SKIRT_W0QQitemZ280153859432QQihZ018QQcategoryZ79718QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) ?

At first, that struck me as a very innocent "girl plays dress-up" thing. Then I saw this blog (http://www.boutiquecafe.com/home/2006/11/14/402/). It looks like her mom is grooming her to be a model... I'm feeling a little queasy about the fur corset thing.

Elenfair
09-20-2007, 09:38 AM
As disturbing as Sophie's mom might be, most of what she sews is actually not bad, compared to what's for sale out there in prostitot wear. In fact, it's actually kind of quirky and nifty. It's much in tune with more "conservative" (by length and coverage) european quirky couture standards. It's just the pouty come-hither crap that gets to me. Ugh. Talk about pedo-fodder.

Still - you gotta give it to the kid, she knows how to work the camera. She's *cute*, and she's got "it".

Let's just hope she has brains, too, and that "it" doesn't go away once she hits the awkward teenager phase.

WhyNot
09-20-2007, 09:39 AM
I don't get it. Is she a fashion show model as well? In an adult line? 'Cause all I see in those photos is a tremendously cute little girl modeling clothes (her mother?) made to be funky fun dress up clothes for little girls. I love that outfit, it's a hoot! But it's not couture or risque at all.

I have no problem with young girls modeling young girl clothes with other young girls in a young girls' venue. Even swimsuits - 12 year old swimsuit models in the children's swimsuit section of the Sears catalog are entirely appropriate. What I disapprove of (and, honestly, I can only work up a tongue-clicking level of RO here) is the incongruity (or "inappropriateness") of a child working in an adult setting. I wouldn't let my very skilled 14 year old work in a machine shop or auto mechanics as a job. Hang out there on weekends, as a visitor, sure. But the culture of the shop (colorful language, stories, assumptions about everyone's general education and level of experience in the world) would not be an appropriate place for him to hang out with and identify with at this stage of development.

The "sexualization of children" thing only gets me so far, frankly. She's not got a child's body, so no, I don't find it shocking that VC03 (and others) might find her sexually appealing. I'm much more concerned that she's going to be included in a conversation on blow-job techniques or the bodycount in the Iraq war or asked to witness or participate in illegal drug use, alcohol consumption, or other adult activities that she should just not be required to face as a participant yet.

I know I tend to forget that the 16 year old intern at the office is a "kid" and sometimes forget to monitor my conversation or language around him. Once the person is "coworker" in my mind, things like age-appropriate topics of conversation go right out of my head. I can only imagine how much worse it is if the kid doesn't look like a kid and is accepted as "coworker" in a high stress, high conflict, high drama workplace like that.

So, perhaps, with a lot of adult supervision, all those things can be avoided or minimized. Then okay, sure, let her do her thing. But I'm still worried for her (as worried as I can be for a kid I don't know.)

fessie
09-20-2007, 10:07 AM
I don't get it. Is she a fashion show model as well? In an adult line? 'Cause all I see in those photos is a tremendously cute little girl modeling clothes (her mother?) made to be funky fun dress up clothes for little girls. I love that outfit, it's a hoot! But it's not couture or risque at all.

Huh - she's pretty, yes, but I think she looks like a hooker. How about this one? (http://cgi.ebay.com/SOPHIE-HAS-lots-of-SWEET-a-little-PUNK-in-her-2pc_W0QQitemZ280152915098QQihZ018QQcategoryZ15647QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

fessie
09-20-2007, 10:14 AM
These are..uh...interesting, too. (http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=my_angel_sophie) I don't really care, it's their life, their business. The people who oughta take umbrage are the Europeans. I don't think "Euro" clothes = techno-whore, but I could be mistaken.

Justin_Bailey
09-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Huh - she's pretty, yes, but I think she looks like a hooker. How about this one? (http://cgi.ebay.com/SOPHIE-HAS-lots-of-SWEET-a-little-PUNK-in-her-2pc_W0QQitemZ280152915098QQihZ018QQcategoryZ15647QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

It's a tanktop and jeans, where's the problem?

WhyNot
09-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Nope. These are..uh...interesting, too. I don't really care, it's their life, their business. The people who oughta take umbrage are the Europeans. I don't think "Euro" clothes = techno-whore, but I could be mistaken.
Well, I think her mother has an unfortunate fondness for '80s Madonna fashion, but still, yards and yards of fabric, much more coverage than your basic T and shorts from Walmart, and nothing I'd forbid my daughter wearing. I might protest if she wore it to Grandma's house as it's "silly" playwear, but I'm still not seeing anything provocative or womanly there.

Seriously, is this the stuff people are decrying as "slutwear" for kids? Maybe that's why I'm a little confused at those threads as well. When I think slutwear, I think tight tueb tops or a spaghetti strap top with plunging neckline and "Cherry" written in rhinestones across the breastline and short miniskirts drooped low to reveal thong underwear in the back. (Which I have occasionally seen on young teens around here, but not on 8 year olds.)

KneadToKnow
09-20-2007, 11:42 AM
No, thanks, I'm full.

fessie
09-20-2007, 11:53 AM
If I saw a kid dressed like that at the mall, I'd assume it was Halloween. If the kid was pouting and sticking her butt out like that, I'd think she was planning on a future career in the World's Oldest Business.

But hey, different strokes.

fessie
09-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Not to bump (and sorry for the hijack), but apparently those aren't Sophie's mama's creations. The kid's a pro!

Here's an article from a few years ago (with much better clothes, IMHO) (http://www.journalmodiste.com/index.cfm?page=models). I had no idea that world even existed. Learn something new every day

overlyverbose
09-20-2007, 12:41 PM
If I saw a kid dressed like that at the mall, I'd assume it was Halloween.

Something similar went through my mind on seeing a picture of this girl. It reads something like, "Damn, how did they get all that makeup to stay on her face? Did she use spackle or something?" She's wearing enough makeup that those photos sort of remind me of Jon Benet Ramsey pictures (though she's obviously older, so it's not quite as creepy; but still...yuck).