PDA

View Full Version : Cover Songs Better Than The Original

RickJay
09-27-2007, 10:36 PM
MuhcMoreMusic recently aired an episode of "Listed" in which they listed the Top 20 Covers of all time. Most of the picks were reasonable - #1 was Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You," certainly one of the most famous covers ever - but they were missing a few important ones, such as Soft Cel's "Tainted Love."

Anyway, a song relatively low on the list stood out to me: Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt." IMHO, the Nine Inch Nails original came off to me as boring, whiny and teenageresque. Cash's version, by comparison, is powerful and moving and, combined with its video, positively heartbreaking.

What examples can you come up with of covers that were better than the original?

racer72
09-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Hey Joe and All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix.
Since You've Been Gone by Whitesnake
The Green Manalishi by Judas Priest
One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer by George Thorogood
and just because a co-worker of mine is a huge Johnny Cash fan:
Ghost Riders by The Outlaws.

Blake
09-27-2007, 10:59 PM
What examples can you come up with of covers that were better than the original?

Any cover of a Bob Dylan song.

Freudian Slit
09-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Damnit! I was just coming in here to say that.

ETA: I also liked Sid Vicious's "My Way" more than Sinatra's.

Spoke
09-27-2007, 11:05 PM
"Come Together" by Aerosmith kicks Beatle ass.

And I like Nazareth's wailing version of "Love Hurts" better than the earlier, neatly-arranged versions by the Everly Brothers and Roy Orbison.

And some may call it heresy, but I like 10,000 Maniacs' version of "Because the Night" better than Patti Smith's.

Sarahfeena
09-27-2007, 11:07 PM
I really really like the Lemonheads' version of Mrs. Robinson a lot. I've heard that Paul Simon hates it, which disappoints me.

I also like Social Distortion's version of Ring of Fire.

Marley23
09-27-2007, 11:10 PM
I like Sparklehorse's "Wish You Were Here," with Thom Yorke on vocals, better than the Pink Floyd original. I admit oversaturation with the PF version could be a factor.

Threadkiller
09-27-2007, 11:11 PM
I like Manfred Mann's Earth Band's Blinded by the Light far better than Bruce Springsteen's.

JpnDude
09-27-2007, 11:19 PM
I prefer the Boys Town Gang version of Can't Take My Eyes Off You over the original by Frankie Valli.

jackelope
09-27-2007, 11:22 PM
The Clash's "I Fought the Law" has to be in any discussion along these lines.

This one's a bit obscure, but Sun Kil Moon's version of Modest Mouse's "The Ocean Breathes Salty" is jaw-droppingly, amazingly good. On this page (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QOX8SQ/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk11/104-3347080-3944759), you can listen to a preview sample or buy the DRM-free mp3 for $0.89.

groo
09-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Three Dog Night's "Mama Told Me Not to Come" was better than Randy Newman's original. Cyndi Lauper's "When You Were Mine" is one of my favorite songs; Prince's original version -- not so much.

Sarahfeena
09-27-2007, 11:25 PM
The Clash's "I Fought the Law" has to be in any discussion along these lines. I was coming back in here to mention this one...forgot about it when I posted earlier.

Marley23
09-27-2007, 11:25 PM
So does the Dead Kennedy's version, if you ask me.

jackelope
09-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Come to think of it, The Clash's version of "Brand New Cadillac" kicks major ass too. I haven't heard Vince Taylor's 1958 original (thank you Google), but I'd be mightily shocked if it topped the one on London Calling.

GrandWino
09-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Fiona Apple recently covered Elvis Costello's "I Want You" for a VH1 special, w/ Costello on guitar.
I like the Costello original and all, but Fiona now owns this song as far as I'm concerned. I don't doubt that Elvis feels the same way.

Video link here. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=EiOmhOumh-w)

I get chills at about the 5 minute mark.

drm
09-27-2007, 11:48 PM
I really really like Tori Amos' version of Smells Like Teen Spirit (the slower version, I've got two of them).

I also like the Joe Cocker version of come together.

fishbicycle
09-27-2007, 11:56 PM
"Baby It's You" by Smith beats anybody's version, hands down.
Not likely too many people here know it, but "You Beat Me To The Punch" by Charity Brown (a Canadian artist) manages to be better than Mary Wells' record.
Dr. John's rendition of "Iko Iko" is way better than the one by The Dixie Cups, even though it's pretty good to start with.
"Ruby Baby" by Dion is all kinds of better than The Drifters' version.
Barbra Streisand could have been famous just for her cover of "Since I Fell For You" if she never cut another record before or after it.
"I Ain't Superstitious" by The Jeff Beck Group is a whole other animal than the Howlin' Wolf original. They're so different I don't rightly know how to compare them. But for sheer in your face, Jeff playing it and Rod Stewart singing it win for this one.
"Promised Land" by Dave Edmunds tries so hard to sound like a Chuck Berry record that it leves the actual Chuck Berry record in the dust.
Speaking of whom, nobody ever has to cover "I Hear You Knocking" again, 'cause Dave's already shown us how it's supposed to go.
Manfred Mann was an excellent interpreter of everybody elses' songs. They do "Do Wah Diddy Diddy" an awful lot better than The Exciters.
"Who Do You Love" by Bo Diddley or Ronnie Hawkins or George Thorogood? I think Hawkins.

Hey, It's That Guy!
09-28-2007, 12:14 AM
William Shatner, Joe Jackson, and Ben Folds' cover of Pulp's "Common People" blows away the original. It's probably my favorite cover song of all time.
Agree on Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" over Gloria Jones' version.
"In My Life" might be my favorite Beatles song ever, but Johnny Cash's cover actually can make me cry.
Whoever did "Blue Christmas" originally, Elvis did it better.

elfkin477
09-28-2007, 12:47 AM
Cyndi Lauper's "When You Were Mine" is one of my favorite songs; Prince's original version -- not so much. Seconded Cyndi Lauper's version is the version.

I like Novelle Vague's and Pete Yorn's versions of "Ever Fallen in Love" better than the Buzzcocks'. Of Montreal's cover isn't as good, but I'm not a fan of theirs.

"The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game" much better by Massive Attack & Tracey Thorn than The Marvelettes.

I'm sure some people will disagree but Placebo's cover of "Running Up That Hill" is better than Kate Bush's original, and Toad The Wet Sprocket's cover of "Hey Bulldog" better than the Beatles'.

Lastly, though it's totally tongue in cheek like Jill Sobule's "Hot In Herre" and Nina Gordon's "Straight Outta Compton" covers, Rock Plaza Central's version of "Sexyback" is much more compelling than Justin Timberlake's.

Jurph
09-28-2007, 01:00 AM
The Eagles covered Steve Young's Seven Bridges Road and added the bluegrass-style harmonies that everyone assumes were there all along.

Also, re: the Jimi covers of Dylan's All Along the Watchtower, any cover of that song that is clearly a cover of Jimi's version (Dave Matthews, U2, etc.) is no longer a cover, but rather a "duvet": a cover of a cover. :D

outlierrn
09-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Ok, so this is way out in left field as far as the OP goes, but I really like Claptons remake of Layla. I liked the original, still do, but I'm middle aged now and the ballad version is just great. I mean, I could name The Animals House of the Rising Sun, or Santana's Evil Ways, but those would be more about context and timing. In my subjective little world, those are the originals so I wouldn't count them the same.

astorian
09-28-2007, 01:11 AM
A few suggestions...

1) Rod Stewart did "(I Know) I'm Losing You" better than the Temptations did

2) The Rolling Stones did "Not Fade Away" better than Buddy Holly did.

3) The Beatles' cover of "Rock & Roll Music" was better than Chuck Berry's.

4) I prefer Joe Cocker's version of "The Letter" to the Box Tops' original.

5) Deep Purple's "Hush" was much better than Joe South's.

6) UB40's "Red Red Wine" was much better than Neil Diamond's.

GreedySmurf
09-28-2007, 01:17 AM
Full agree on Tainted Love, and also have to add Cat's in the Cradle by Ugly Kid Joe.

Purd Werfect
09-28-2007, 01:27 AM
Since Woodstockbirdybird and Snooopy haven't shown up yet, I get to nominate Husker Du's take on Eight Miles High.

I'll also nominate Ziggy Stardust as done by Bauhaus. Pretty much a note for note retelling, but the guitar is more potent in the cover.

Richard Pearse
09-28-2007, 01:27 AM
Mad World originally done by Tears for Fears. I can't recall who did the cover, but I prefer it.

HazelNutCoffee
09-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Most of Leonard Cohen's stuff. Especially "Hallelujah." Beautiful song, but Cohen's version is the worst.

Mudshark
09-28-2007, 01:30 AM
I line Nina Simone's cover of I Put A Spell On You better than the original by Screamin Jay Hawkins. I also think that the Dead Kennedys version of Viva Las Vegas is much better than the Elvis version.

elfkin477
09-28-2007, 01:33 AM
Mad World originally done by Tears for Fears. I can't recall who did the cover, but I prefer it. Gary Jules, for the Donnie Darko soundtrack.

JohnBckWLD
09-28-2007, 02:12 AM
Covering themselves:
1. Blue Öyster Cult's remake of Astronomy (http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/blue_oyster_cult/astronomy/) is a slight improvement on their original version from 1974.

2. John Lee Hooker's 1974 jazz/blues version pf One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer (http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/john_lee_hooker/free_beer_and_chicken/) is better than the Amos Milburn (One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer) 1953 original, Hooker's 1966 cover of the song & racer72's George Throrgood preferred version.

Best Cover Version:
¤ John Baldry's cover Don't Try to Lay No Boogie Woogie on the King of Rock and Roll (http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/long_john_baldry/dont_try_to_lay_no_boogie_woogie_on_the_king_of_rock_and_roll___mr_rubin/) - Especially the album version with the spoken-word "Conditional Discharge" introduction, puts the Jeff Thomas original, and the Crow, Kenny Loggin's Gator Creek covers to shame.

Runner Up:
¤ Black Sabbath's cover of Warning (http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/black_sabbath/black_sabbath/) makes Aynsley Dunbar's original sound like a weak impersonation.

2nd Runner Up:
¤ Paul Young's version of I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down is better than Ann Peeble's original

Paladud
09-28-2007, 02:44 AM
Sweet Dreams was seriously improved by Marilyn Manson.

Queen Bruin
09-28-2007, 02:54 AM
So does the Dead Kennedy's version, if you ask me.
Damn you. That was what I was gonna say.

I agree with Soft Cell's version of Tainted Love.

Every time one of these threads pops up I have my old standards: Siouxsie and the Banshees' rendition of Dear Prudence is just perfect.

The cover of Sympathy by Jane's Addiction is just plain more evil than the original by the Stones.

Diamanda Galas' version of My World is Empty Without You is life changing. I saw her last year at Royce Hall and she opened with that - I cried the whole time. Oh! And then she followed with a cover of Padam Padamand I cried through that too - not sure that it was better than Edith Piaf, but it was damn good. I think she should do Ball and Chain. I don't think she could top Janis, but Diamanda could definitely do her justice.

thelurkinghorror
09-28-2007, 02:54 AM
The Pogues' "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda. Eric Bogle is a fine songwriter and musician, but Shane makes the cover all the more heartrending.

thelurkinghorror
09-28-2007, 03:02 AM
As a slight hijack, check out Eric Bogle's "Do You Sing Any Bob Dylan?" for a humorous take on covering Dylan.

And I consider the Dead Kennedy's cover of "I Fought the Law" as a new song.

H3Knuckles
09-28-2007, 03:21 AM
Uncle Cecil, grant me the power to ban anyone who says Six Pence None The Richer's cover of "there she goes"...

How about "I Love Rock & Roll" by Joan Jett? It's originally by the Arrows.

installLSC
09-28-2007, 04:36 AM
"My Favorite Things" (from Sound of Music) was a nice ditty but sounds unlistenable after you've heard John Coltrane's version.
"Real Love" (The Beatles) Regina Spektor took a half-assed Anthology 2 track, covered it for the Instant Karma charity album, and created sheer magic.
"Personal Jesus" (Depeche Mode) Sounds too jokey and cold on the original; Johnny Cash's take plays up the religious overtones while still being light-hearted.
Also got to praise "Superstar" (Sonic Youth over Carpenters), "Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam" (Nirvana over Vaselines).

MrDibble
09-28-2007, 05:46 AM
Anyway, a song relatively low on the list stood out to me: Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt." IMHO, the Nine Inch Nails original came off to me as boring, whiny and teenageresque. Cash's version, by comparison, is powerful and moving and, combined with its video, positively heartbreaking.

So don't agree - Cash comes across like a junkie-wino, and not in a good way. It bores me, which the original didn't do. I've never liked that cover (although it seems like I'm the only one - even Trent thinks it's the shizzle)

My vote for great covers? This Mortal Coil's Song To The Siren and Mr Somewhere.

An Arky
09-28-2007, 06:19 AM
I think Pat Benatar's version of John (Cougar, then) Mellencamp's I Need a Lover is much better. The original arrangement had too long of an intro for the type of song it is.

Mangetout
09-28-2007, 06:36 AM
Rolf Harris' skiffle version of Stairway To Heaven is vastly superior to the one done previously by some band I forget the name of.

RickJay
09-28-2007, 06:54 AM
Ok, so this is way out in left field as far as the OP goes, but I really like Claptons remake of Layla.
Not at all; it's sufficiently different as to constitute a reinterpretive cover of his own song.

Another interesting choice would be Run-DMC's and Aerosmith's cover of Aerosmith's "Walk This Way." I prefer the cover.

RealityChuck
09-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Joe Cocker's version of just about anything, but especially "The Letter," "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window," and "Feelin' Alright" (All of which are great in their original version).

There are dozens of great cover versions of blues songs. The original "Statesboro Blues" is a terrific song, but Taj Mahal, The Allman Brothers Band, and Alice Stuart have done superior ones.

The Bonzo Dog Band version of "Monster Mash" is the definitive version of the song. Period. And their versions of "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" and "The Sound of Music" will ensure you never look at the originals the same way again.

Lyle Lovett does a terrific version of "Stand by Your Man."

The Roches latest album has two cover versions of songs by a guy named Paranoid Larry -- "No Shoes" and "Jesus Shaves" -- that are superior to Larry's originals, mostly because the Roches are better singers (better than practically anyone, of course). They also do a great version of "The Naughty Lady of Shady Lane."

Annie-Xmas
09-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Wilson Pickett owns "Hey Jude." And "Silent Night."

ianzin
09-28-2007, 09:10 AM
There have already been some 'anything by Dylan' votes, and I tend to agree. May I add one specific example. Tricia Yearwood's version of 'To Make You Feel My Love' is infinitely preferable to Dylan's version, and I suspect even Dylan and his mother would have to agree.

Eva Cassidy's 'Cathy's Song' is better than Paul Simon's.

Can we have a special mention for artists who do 'covers' of their own work?

Sarah McLachlan's 'electric' version of 'Sweet Surrender' is better than the acoustic version, and I think the acoustic version came first (open to correction).

I thought the Police's (really Sting's) second version of 'Don't Stand So Close To Me' was better than the original version.

Spoke
09-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Elvis Costello's "Good Year for the Roses" is better than the original George Jones version (though I like both).

Somewhat obscure, but I like R.E.M.'s cover of "Pale Blue Eyes" better than the Velvet Underground original. From YouTube, here they are performing it live in '84 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=nQiJZgsGFfU). R.E.M.'s version of "There She Goes Again" is also better than VU's original (mainly because Lou Reed just ain't no singer).

I love The Clash, but I must disagree. The Bobby Fuller Four kicked this song's ass better than anybody back in '65. And, incidentally, it was a cover when they did it. The original was by Sonny Curtis and the Crickets.

Hey, It's That Guy!
09-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Another Dylan cover: "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" by Mike Ness. Kicks the original's ass.

Spoke
09-28-2007, 09:51 AM
I love The Clash, but I must disagree. The Bobby Fuller Four kicked this song's ass better than anybody back in '65. And, incidentally, it was a cover when they did it. The original was by Sonny Curtis and the Crickets.

I should amend this: I like Bobby Fuller's vocals better, but there's no denying that The Clash added a whole new dimension to the song with their guitar work.

muzzynyc
09-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Everything But the Girl's version of Elvis Costello's "Allison" (their version of Lauper's "Time After Time" is great, too)
Gomez's version of The Beatles' "Getting Better"
Prince's version of Sheryl Crow's "Every Day is a Winding Road" (with Crow on guitar, I believe)
Concrete Blonde's version of Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows"
Frente!'s version of New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Lilly Allen's version of Keane's "Everybody's Changing"
Sinead O'Connor's version of Prince's "Nothing Compares 2 U"

I'm No Saint
09-28-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I think Aaron Lewis' cover of 'Black' was far better than Pearl Jam's original version. Not to say that the original wasn't awesome, as well.

Sophistry and Illusion
09-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Most of the picks were reasonable - #1 was Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You," certainly one of the most famous covers ever.
I'm sorry, but if you insist on claiming that Whitney Houston's version of that song is better than Dolly Parton's, I may have to demand satisfaction on the field of honor.

Of course, having said that, I must admit with some shame that I really used to like the Bangles' version of "Hazy Shade of Winter."

Of course, for truly fine covers you can't beat Pat Boone singing "Smoke on the Water," "Panama," and other metal hits. (http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Mood-More-Mr-Nice/dp/B000005KOE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-5190871-2138247?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1190988928&sr=1-1)

Annie-Xmas
09-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Yes, we are talking better here, not more famous (My Boss once asked me to print out the lyrics to Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You." She gave me hell for printing out Dolly Parton's.)

More Dylan with Baez's "Forever Young" and "Lily Rosemary & The Jack of Hearts." Joannie covers Bob better than anyone else.

GargoyleWB
09-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Diamond David Lee Roth (and the rest of VH) put a lot of great energy into superior covers of tired originals.

California Girls
Pretty Woman
Just a Gigolo
Where Have all the Good Times Gone
Dancing in the Streets
Ice Cream Man
You Really Got Me

WreckingCrew
09-28-2007, 10:39 AM
I really love the Rolling Stones' version of "Around and Around" - one of the best Chuck Berry covers ever. Especially cool is the version from the TAMI show, when Chuck was in the building.

Sadly, I don't like any of the Beatles' Chuck Berry covers. Paul could pull off Little Richard, but "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Rock and Roll Music" seem a bit pale compared to the originals - and poor when stacked up to what contemporaries like the Stones and Yardbirds were doing.

MeanJoe
09-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Damn you. That was what I was gonna say.
The cover of Sympathy by Jane's Addiction is just plain more evil than the original by the Stones.

Dang-nub-it! Beat me to it, I came in here to post:

Sympathy (Rolling Stones) - Jane's Addiction

Like a Rolling Stone (Bobby Dylan) - Black 47

Planet Earth (Duran Duran) - Hate Dept.

How Does It Feel? (Blue Monday / New Order) - Electroset

Savannah
09-28-2007, 10:49 AM
"Baby It's You" by Smith beats anybody's version, hands down. Ooh! I love that song. I've got the original record somewhere on a cassette tape. The UVic library had it, for some reason.

Clive Gregson and Christine Collister's version of Jackson Browne's "For a Dancer" is my contribution.

BubbaDog
09-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Another Dylan cover: "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" by Mike Ness. Kicks the original's ass.

I'll have to find that. I've always thought that Susan Tedeschi's verion of "Don't think Twice It's Alright " was fantastic.

PunditLisa
09-28-2007, 11:23 AM
The Monkees' version of "Daydream Believer" was better than Neil Diamonds' and Smash Mouth.

Live's version of Johnny Cash's standard "I Walk the Line" is better, IMO.

Sarah McLaughlin's version of Joni Mitchell's "River" is awesome.

Eva Cassidy's "Fields of Gold" is equal to Sting's original.

Luther Vandross' "All the (Wo)Man I Need" is more bluesy than Whitney's.

Oh, and Dolly Parton's version of "I Will Always Love You" is still the best version, IMO. It's supposed to be a humble song, for pete's sake.

Sinead O'Connor's version of Bobby Gentry's "Ode to Billy Joe" is incredible.

Finally, there's Janis Joplin's wonderful version of Kris Kristofferson's "Me and Bobby McGee"

Annie-Xmas
09-28-2007, 11:38 AM
The Firebirds cover of Tom Paxton's "Bottle of Wine" was a hard rocking hit!

Bosstone
09-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Just to be different:

The snippet of Fell In Love With a Girl that Weird Al Yankovic includes in Angry White Boy Polka is sung vastly better than the Whitestripes version. :D

Annie-Xmas
09-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Now I gotta be spending the rest of my day over at Second Hand Songs (www.secondhandsongs.com)

denquixote
09-28-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm sorry, but if you insist on claiming that Whitney Houston's version of that song is better than Dolly Parton's, I may have to demand satisfaction on the field of honor.

Of course, having said that, I must admit with some shame that I really used to like the Bangles' version of "Hazy Shade of Winter."

Of course, for truly fine covers you can't beat Pat Boone singing "Smoke on the Water," "Panama," and other metal hits. (http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Mood-More-Mr-Nice/dp/B000005KOE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-5190871-2138247?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1190988928&sr=1-1)

I am a little surprised you did not mention Pat Boone's cover of "Tutti Frutti."

denquixote
09-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Every single song on Ray Charles' "Modern Sounds In Country and Western Music Volume One" is better than the original.

Ditto for Emmylou Harris (even her Chuck Berry cover - C'est la vie (You never can tell) is as good as the original.) Her version of "Sweet Dreams" e.g. has it all over Patsy Cline.

yanceylebeef
09-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Let's see, someone already covered (ha!) the Lemonheads Mrs. Robinson, so I'll go with their cover of Luka. It is awesome.

Also, mentioned is the Bill Shatner/Joe Jackson cover of common people, which I was coming in to mention.

Hmmmm.

Me First and the Gimme Gimme's are a punk cover band, and their version of Mandy is phenomenal! Also, they covered Earl Had to Die, by the Dixie Chicks which is great.

The Supersuckers version of Bloody Mary Morning must be heard, and southern Culture on the Skids just did an album of covers which include great versions of I Never Promised You A Rose Garden, Wolverton Mountain, and Engine Engine # 9.

That's all for now, but I'm sure I'll have some more soon.

Annie-Xmas
09-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Wrong thread :smack:

Stoid
09-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Wow, there are so many. Do they have to be "better", can't they just be great in their own way?

Wait, I know one I'd call better, WAY better, goddamn brilliant:

Richie Havens, Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock" - Just freakin gorgeous

"How Deep is Your Love" - Davey Ray Moor. Wonderful. That and

"She blinded Me With Science" by Bill Parsons Are all very educational examples of the power of arrangement. They show that any song can be anything you want depending on how you arrange it.

Oh man, I forgot another one...and this one is, to me, WAY WAY WAY better than the original, which is fun, but kinda irritating: Ray LaMontagne's version of Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy"

Stoid
09-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Both the Richie Havens and the Bill Parsons are on iTunes, you should check them out.

Max Torque
09-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Lately, I've been listening to the White Stripes' cover of "Jolene", which to me feels heart-rending compared to Dolly Parton's original version.

And of course, I love Dynamite Hack's folk music version of "Boyz-N-Tha-Hood".

NoCoolUserName
09-28-2007, 12:36 PM
[Grumpy Old Person]

Lemonheads. Nirvana. White Stripes. Humph. Kids.

[/GOP]

Leave Your Hat On--Joe Cocker better than Randy Newman
Satisfaction--Devo better than Stones (well, so different that it's hard to compare)
Woodstock--CSN&Y better than Joni
Shadows in the Rain--Sting (solo) MUCH better than Police (where it was just another bland semi-reggae tune)

Side note, since Joe Cocker has been mentioned so many times in this thread. My voice coach was talking about putting emotion into one's performance and said: "Joe Cocker can make me cry with the way he can sell a song. Then I think about what he's doing to his voice and I cry again!"

dwc1970
09-28-2007, 12:39 PM
I like the Limp Bizkit version of George Michael's "Faith" far better than the original.

Gangster Octopus
09-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Alanis Morisette's cover of My Humps (http://youtube.com/watch?v=W91sqAs-_-g) outclasses the original...which isn't that hard.

Johnny L.A.
09-28-2007, 12:43 PM
I prefer No Doubt's version of Oi To The World to The Vandals's version.

ETA: I also prefer The Bangles's version of Hazy Shade Of Winter to Simon & Garfunkel's.

Sophistry and Illusion
09-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Lately, I've been listening to the White Stripes' cover of "Jolene", which to me feels heart-rending compared to Dolly Parton's original version.
What's with all the hate for Dolly Parton? First she is judged inferior to Whitney Houston, and now to Jack White. Dolly has a fantastic and expressive voice. She's the goods.

ColonelDax
09-28-2007, 12:50 PM
De gustibus non disputandem est and all that, but I just don't get how anyone can pick Soft Cell's anemic "Tainted Love" cover over the original. Ah well, to each his own.

This isn't a cover that's available in recorded form, but one of my all-time favorite encores was hearing the dB's rip through Television's "See No Evil" a long time ago at the old 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C.

Labtrash
09-28-2007, 01:01 PM
I prefer Nirvana's version of "The Man Who Sold the World" over Bowie's.

yanceylebeef
09-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Forgot a couple...

The Faith No More cover of Easy is almost an homage, right up until the EEEEww! part.

The Dukes of Hamburgs Greensleeves cover is amazing!

Old 97s version of El Paso on the King of the Hill soundtrack is very good as well.

Sleeps With Butterflies
09-28-2007, 01:06 PM
I love cover songs, I could go on forever. Of course, these are just my lousy opinions...

Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley way better than Cohen's.

I Will Survive done by Cake is better than Gloria Gaynor.

Best of You done by Prince at during halftime at the Super Bowl was far better than Foo Fighters.

The Man Who Sold The World by Nirvana on MTV Unplugged beats Bowie (although I love Bowie).

Piece Of My Heart by Janis Joplin was better than the original (can't remember who).

For Once in My Life by Stevie Wonder is far, far better than the original.

Although not better, just really really good is A Case of You by Tori Amos. Apologies to Joni Mitchel.

Voyager
09-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Counterexample: The Band's cover of Blind Willie McTell. Most Dylan covers I've heard are inferior to the original, but that's including Dylan covering Dylan. Some songs in concert are so changed they might as well be a cover.

Jefferson Airplane's cover of Wooden Ships is far better than the CSN original. On the other hand, the CSN cover of Woodstock is better than the Joni Mitchell original.

Barnes & Barnes cover of Please Please Me is what the Beatles would have sung if they had dared to back then.

Plus, just about anything by Spike Jones is an improvement. :)

akira5822
09-28-2007, 01:38 PM
I prefer Smashing pumpkins version of "landslide " to Fleetwood mac's

Joan Jett and Paul Westerberg's version of Let's do it from the Tank girl soundtrack by Cole porter is much more fun.

Kizarvexius
09-28-2007, 01:50 PM
I must concur that the Bangles' A Hazy Shade of Winter absolutely kicked ass. And part of my brain is desperately fighting off the need to kick my own ass for speaking such sacrilege.

I didn't even know that I liked More Than This until I heard 10,000 Maniacs' cover. Roxy Music's recording does nothing for me.

Club Nouveau's cover of Lean On Me was far better than the original.

Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm.

muzzynyc
09-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Club Nouveau's cover of Lean On Me was far better than the original.

Wow. Seriously?

ShadowFacts
09-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Most of Leonard Cohen's stuff. Especially "Hallelujah." Beautiful song, but Cohen's version is the worst.

I gotta vote for the John Cale version as my favorite (blows aways Buckley's cover, IMHO).

I'm gonna throw in Tom Waits covering the Ramones' "Danny Says"

And I'll second the Shatner version of "Common People" - damn that's excellent.

Billy Bragg has a lot of great covers, but my favorite is probably the cold war classic "Think Again" which was originally by a Scottish guy whose name I cannot remember.

ShadowFacts
09-28-2007, 02:10 PM
De gustibus non disputandem est and all that, but I just don't get how anyone can pick Soft Cell's anemic "Tainted Love" cover over the original. Ah well, to each his own.

Perhaps you would prefer Coil's version, which is wonderfully ponderous and quite a contrast to the Soft Cell version.

Incensed
09-28-2007, 02:12 PM
...Live's version of Johnny Cash's standard "I Walk the Line" is better, IMO....

I disagree, but I like Cash. I like Live as well, but that cover just didn't do it for me. I guess it just depends on what side your bread is buttered on. As stated upthread, Cash's versions of Hurt and Personal Jesus were far superior to the originals, IMO. And I'm not saying someone can't cover his songs and improve them; a number of the songs on the Cash tribute album, Kindred Spirits, were improvements, including Hank Williams Jr.'s take on Big River, Springsteen's rendition of Give My Love to Rose and Steve Earle's cover of Hardin Wouldn't Run.

Now for a couple of controversial picks: I prefer Metallica's version of Seger's Turn the Page, and Shinedown's cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man to the respective originals. May not spark much furor around here, but if I made that statement (especially the latter half) in my home town, I'd probably be punched in the mouth, no questions asked.

Sitnam
09-28-2007, 02:16 PM
"Hurt" by Johnny Cash was pretty badass...hard to say if it was better than NIN's.

I also liked "Blue Monday" by Orgy

"Whiskey in the Jar" by Metallica

"Stone Cold Crazy" by Metallica

I have tons, just no others come to mind right now.

Sitnam
09-28-2007, 02:21 PM
"In the Pines" on Nirvana's Unplugged in New York was origionally a Leadbelly tune, Kurt does it better.

Nelly Furtado's version of "crazy" was pretty badass.

The opening for Donnie Darko has "Mad World" that's better than the Tears For Fears version.

zyzzyva
09-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Kinda surprised no one's mentioned it, but Johnny Cash & Joe Strummer's cover of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" is absolutely chilling. Already a great song to begin with, but they took it to the next level. Especially freaky given that it was recorded weeks before they both died, and released posthumously.

For covers that fall into the "as good but completely different" category, I nominate the Ramones' version of Tom Waits' "I Don't Wanna Grow Up." While the original sounds like depressed dread of the inevitable (the kind that's fun to wallow in during those "I hate my life" moments), the cover is positively defiant: they could've changed "don't wanna" to "ain't gonna" and it would've been the same.

Annie-Xmas
09-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Dan Barta's Czech version of "Superstar" is so much better than any other version in any other language.

Sophistry and Illusion
09-28-2007, 04:05 PM
"In the Pines" on Nirvana's Unplugged in New York was origionally a Leadbelly tune, Kurt does it better.
First all the dissing of Dolly. Then someone asserting that Nirvana's version of "In the Pines" is better than Leadbelly's (whose version is superbly chilling). I despair of the lot of you!

WarmNPrickly
09-28-2007, 04:12 PM
I don't have any particular problems with The Greatfull Dead's version of Ripple. It's a perfectly decent song if that's the sort of thing that you like. On the otherhand Janes Addiction launched that song into the stratosphere as far as I'm concerned.

Horatio Hellpop
09-28-2007, 04:42 PM
I prefer Dave Edmunds' version of "Girl Talk" to Elvis Costello's, but just barely.

Have you ever heard the soundtrack to Mona Lisa Smile? Modern artists covering old pop standards from the late 40s, for the most part. Some standouts include Tori Amos' "Murder He Says" and the Trevor Horn Orchestra's remakes of "Istanbul Not Constantinople" and "Life Would Be a Dream."

Of the million versions of "Santa Baby," my favorite so far is Maria Muldaur's.

denquixote
09-28-2007, 04:55 PM
The Firebirds cover of Tom Paxton's "Bottle of Wine" was a hard rocking hit!

It was actually the Fireballs (previously Jimmy Gilmer & the Fireballs of "Sugar Shack" fame).

denquixote
09-28-2007, 05:01 PM
What's with all the hate for Dolly Parton? First she is judged inferior to Whitney Houston, and now to Jack White. Dolly has a fantastic and expressive voice. She's the goods.

I agree. Her duet with George Jones on "Blues Man" is one of the all-time greats, as are her songs with Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris on the Trio albums and the Kenny Rogers duet, "Islands in the Stream." She is amazing.

denquixote
09-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Cassandra Wilson's version of the Son House song "Death letter" is also outstanding and, I think, better than the White Stripes.

rhythmonly
09-28-2007, 05:14 PM
"Man with Money" by The Crybabies.

Spoke
09-28-2007, 05:23 PM

Nitpick: It was a cover when Leadbelly did it. The song has been around since at least the 1870s. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Did_You_Sleep_Last_Night)

Algher
09-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Similar to "anyone covering Bob Dylan" is "anyone covering the Grateful Dead". My favorites from Deadicated:

Dwight Yokum - Truckin' - he makes it an AWESOME country song, with twang and steel guitar.

Indigo Girls - Uncle John's Band - absolutely beautiful.

From some pure random fun:

Tom Jones, Reload. Full of covers done in partnership with some good bands. Mama Told Me (Not to Come) with the Stereophonics is great fun.

Annie-Xmas
09-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Nitpick: It was a cover when Leadbelly did it. The song has been around since at least the 1870s. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Did_You_Sleep_Last_Night)

Well, if we're going to talk about really old songs, the Animals cover of House of the Rising Sun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_of_the_Rising_Sun) is definitely the best.

Ludovic
09-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Don't know if they're available on records, but Heart's live covers of Battle of Evermore and Misty Mountain Hop are better than Led Zep's. It helps to have two singers to choose from, and they absolutely nail the voices when the wailing really gets going in both songs (which is why I'm pretty sure, even though I never saw Zep live, that even Zep live would be inferior in Battle of Evermore since Sandy Denny is sadly unavailable.) There's no other way to explain it except that they sing the notes that Plant was trying to sing. Think him but %50 better.

On the downside, though, they don't have the quickie drum solo in MMH that's the highlight of the song and really adds to its atmosphere and character, although they might be able to if they put it to vinyl, and of course the harmony on BoE is not quite as good.

I wish Heart would do a song-for-song cover album of Led Zep IV. I bet they'd do Four Sticks and Levee better as well (their version of Black Dog is slightly worse, and I think Rock n Roll and Stairway would be worse as well.)

ETA: according to wikipedia, they did release a cover of BoE as the Lovemongers.

WarmNPrickly
09-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Similar to "anyone covering Bob Dylan" is "anyone covering the Grateful Dead". My favorites from Deadicated:

Yes that album was gold. Don't forget Lyle Lovett's Freind of the Devil. The Greatful Dead's version of that is just wrong.

Euryphaessa
09-28-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm prefer Pearl Jam's cover of Love Reign O'er Me to the original by The Who.

And Nouvelle Vague's cover of The Dead Kennedys' Too Drunk to F*** is quite special. :D

fishbicycle
09-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Don't know if they're available on records, but Heart's live covers of Battle of Evermore and Misty Mountain Hop are better than Led Zep's."The Battle Of Evermore" was available by The Lovemongers on a CD single (EP), but it's out of print now. That doesn't mean you can't still find it for cheap on the net. I've got one, and you're right, it is awesome!

Heart cut their teeth doing Zeppelin covers. I've got a bootleg of them playing in a bar right around the time they got their first recording contract, and three of the songs are Zep. They kicked ass on all of them!

Ike Witt
09-28-2007, 05:55 PM
I like the Talking Heads cover of Take me to the River better, but not by a lot, than the Al Green original.

I think that the Missy Elliott pseudo-cover of I Can't Stand the Rain is as good as it is different from the Ann Peebles original.

My old RA in college said that Frankie Goes to Hollywood did Born to Run the way it was supposed to be done. FTR, this was in 1985, when Bruce ruled America.

While I love The Wolfgang Press and wonder why most of their catalog is out of print, I have to say that their cover of Momma Told Me Not to Come is not as good as the Three Dog Night version.

LurkMeister
09-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Personally, I preferred the Dolly Parton/Vince Gill duet version of I Will Always Love You to her original. And I once got into an argument with a friend over it; she insisted that the Whitney Houston version was the original, and didn't like the fact that a couple of country singers had dared to redo it. :rolleyes:

I'm making notes on this thread, and will be looking up some of these. I never realized so many groups did covers of "classic" songs. (Metallica did Whiskey In the Jar? I never would have thought of that.)

gigi
09-28-2007, 06:26 PM
More Dylan with Baez's "Forever Young" and "Lily Rosemary & The Jack of Hearts." Joannie covers Bob better than anyone else.
I was going to mention the "Simple Twist of Fate" on her Greatest Hits album, because she does an excellent Dylan impression on

He woke up, the room was bare
He didn't see her anywhere.
He told himself he didn't care, pushed the window open wide,
Felt an emptiness inside to which he just could not relate
Brought on by a simple twist of fate.

And some may call it heresy, but I like 10,000 Maniacs' version of "Because the Night" better than Patti Smith's.I like both of those, but prefer the writer's (Springsteen) version best. I do have a soft spot for 10,000 Maniac's "Peace Train" cover too.

Taber
09-28-2007, 06:31 PM
I personally prefer Disturbed's version of Land of Confusion, but then I wasn't much of a fan of the Genesis version

smithsb
09-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Number of different versions, I like them all, you may have favorites:
Marvin Gaye
Galdys Kinght
Creedence Clearwater

Junp (for my Love) Pointer Sisters also has so great listenable covers.

psycat90
09-29-2007, 11:35 AM
I like Manfred Mann's Earth Band's Blinded by the Light far better than Bruce Springsteen's.

Blasphemer! ;-)

Although I did come in to mention a cover of a Springsteen song myself.

Son Volt's cover of Open All Night is just incredible. It's slowed down and almost sad and just awesome.

Annie-Xmas
09-29-2007, 11:40 AM
To add a third to the list

1. Anyone covering Bob Dylan
2. Anyone covering The Grateful Dead
3. Anyone covering Leonard Cohen

Cohen can write, but he is not the best singer. Even he admits it.

Biggirl
09-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Earth Wind and Fire's version of Got To Get You Into My Life
Luther Vandross' Superstar/Until You Come Back to Me
The Spinner's Cupid
The Manhattan's Tomorrow (from Annie)

Stoid
09-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Well, if we're going to talk about really old songs, the Animals cover of House of the Rising Sun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_of_the_Rising_Sun) is definitely the best.

Have you heard The Be Good Tanyas version? Pretty sweet...

Biggirl
09-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Luther Vandross' Superstar/Until You Come Back to Me
The Spinner's Cupid

Maybe I liked mash-ups before they were hip because The Spinner's Cupid is actually Cupid/Loved You for a Long Time

Sam Stone
09-29-2007, 01:36 PM

There's nothing wrong with Dolly, but in this case Jack White simply owns the song. Check out this version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVCq1etICQE) performed live on Conan. Fantastic.

RickJay
09-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Sarah Polley's version of "Courage," used in the film "The Sweet Hereafter," is vastly superior to the Tragically Hip original, and its tone and arrangement better suits the song's subject matter.

Miscue
09-29-2007, 02:46 PM
I don't usually make blanket statements like this, but almost any song done by The Detroit Cobras (http://www.detroitcobras.org) is a better version than the original. They are rock and roll.

MisterThyristor
09-29-2007, 03:55 PM
I agree that most covers of Leonard Cohen are better than the original, but I would have to make an exception for "Everybody Knows". Come on, does anyone have a voice like that, to convey that emotion (despair/disillusionment)? The guy sounds like the grim reaper himself.

supervenusfreak
09-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Personally, I preferred the Dolly Parton/Vince Gill duet version of I Will Always Love You to her original. And I once got into an argument with a friend over it; she insisted that the Whitney Houston version was the original, and didn't like the fact that a couple of country singers had dared to redo it. :rolleyes:...

LOL. That story made me laugh out loud. Dolly has been quoted in the press saying that she loves Whitney's cover of that song. It has made a boatload of money for her! Personally I prefer Melissa Etheridge's version...

Now for some of my favorite covers:

Annie Lennox - "Every Time We Say Goodbye", "Ladies of the Canyon", and "Something So Right" . She is my favorite singer, and these covers are simply wonderful, especially performed live.

Chris Rea - "Fool If You Think It's Over" . Very smooth with just a hint of menace.

I have to second an third the mentions of Eva Cassidy . I just wish that I would have known her before she passed away. Her live cd is simply amazing. I also prefer her cover of "Songbird" to Fleetwood Mac's and that's saying something.

Fountains of Wayne - "Baby One More Time" . That one makes me giggle too. I happen to like offbeat pop song covers, and this is a good one.

Maroon Five - "Pure Imagination" . Ditto

Debbie Harry - "Liar Liar"

Superchunk - "Say My Name"

Savannah
09-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Yes that album was gold. Don't forget Lyle Lovett's Friend of the Devil. The Grateful Dead's version of that is just wrong. Ooh! Why didn't I think of that? I love Lovett's version, and it's one of my favourite to sing harmony to, in my secret fantasy life where I duet with my heroes. Lyle and I put on a great show... :)

ArizonaTeach
09-29-2007, 05:08 PM
I didn't see anyone mention Coverville (http://www.coverville.com/) yet (or if they did, my post is better). Bookmark it.

Raguleader
09-29-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm a fan of the Vanessa Carlton (http://www.last.fm/music/Vanessa+Carlton/_/Paint+It+Black) cover of "Paint It Black" by the Rolling Stones.

TheLoadedDog
09-29-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm a diehard Cash fan, so I'm well biased, but I came here to mention Hurt, only to find it right there in the OP. His cover of One was also great.

Are we allowed to include songs in which the cover was the famous one, but the original is preferred? If so, I nominate Kristofferson's Me and Bobby McGee, which basically walks all over Joplin's, IMHO.

GargoyleWB
09-29-2007, 08:59 PM
My old RA in college said that Frankie Goes to Hollywood did Born to Run the way it was supposed to be done.

Ooh, good one, and I agree (Sorry Boss!)

Here are some others that I like better:

Siouxie and the Banshees - The Passenger I like much better than The Stooges original

The Mission - Like A Hurricane better than Neil Young's

Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love knocked Elvis out of the stadium

and to continue with the theory that all covers of Bob Dylan are better than Bob's...PJ Harvey - Highway 61 Revisited kicks major ass.

monstro
09-29-2007, 09:26 PM
I think I'm the first to say the two obvious ones. Sinead O'Connors "Nothing Compares 2 U" is much better than Prince's version, and Ike and Tina's rendition of "Proud Mary" is superior to CCR's.

Annie Lennox has done a lot of covers, but I think her covers of Can't Get Next to You and Whiter Shade of Pale are probably the only ones that beat out the originals.

I absolutely love Roberta Flack, but Laryn Hill's version of Killing Me Softly killed her version.

And you gotta love Mariah Carey's cover of I'll Be There, though the Jackson 5 original is still terrific.

HMS Irruncible
09-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Annie Lenox's cover of "Train In Vain" beats The Clash (if you can believe it)
Run-DMC + Aerosmith's cover of "Walk This Way" beats Aerosmith
Henry Rollins' version of "Kick Out The Jams" beats MC5
Joe Jackson's version of "What A Beautiful World It Will Be" beats both Donald Fagen's and Howard Jones'
David Anthony's cover of "Something About You" beats Level 42, but only just barely
Gary Jules' "Mad World" beats Tears For Fears
Seu Jorges did amazing things with multiple David Bowie tunes...
Linda Ronstadt's version of Blue Bayou beats Roy Orbison's
Massive Attack's "Be Thankful For What You've Got" beats whoever did the original

hmmm... surprised I can't think of more right now, this is a favorite topic of mine... let me get back to you...

Snooooopy
09-29-2007, 10:53 PM
I came into the thread to suggest "Sweet Jane." I am primarily thinking of the Cowboy Junkies' dreamy version, which Lou Reed himself has awarded high praise to. I also quite enjoy Reed's solo reworking of the song.

I agree that most covers of Leonard Cohen are better than the original, but I would have to make an exception for "Everybody Knows". Come on, does anyone have a voice like that, to convey that emotion (despair/disillusionment)? The guy sounds like the grim reaper himself.

I'm going to have to go with Concrete Blonde's version, but not particularly on the basis of the vocals -- I mean, I love how Johnette Napolitano coos and shrieks her way through it, but Cohen's delivery has its charms as well. I just find that Concrete Blonde's instrumentation is much cooler. The instrumentation on Cohen's version seems to have wandered in from another song.

Since Woodstockbirdybird and Snooopy haven't shown up yet, I get to nominate Husker Du's take on Eight Miles High.

To my considerable surprise, when I checked my iTunes, I discovered that I don't even have a copy of the Hüskers' version. I think I have heard it at some point.

Tapiotar
09-29-2007, 11:05 PM
I've got to disagree on Leonard Cohen. I love his deep deep voice; it goes right into the core of me and does wonderful things there.

Loved Seu Jorge's covers of David Bowie songs in "The Life Aquatic" enough to buy the soundtrack, but I wouldn't say they were better. Just different.

I like David Bowie's version of "Here Comes the Night" better than Van Morrison's.

I like Van Morrison's version of "I Put a Spell on You" better than Screamin' Jay Hawkins' and better than Creedence.

RickJay
09-29-2007, 11:13 PM
I absolutely love Roberta Flack, but Laryn Hill's version of Killing Me Softly killed her version.
That was the Fugees, not a Lauryn Hill solo work.

Moirai
09-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Annie Lenox's cover of "Train In Vain" beats The Clash (if you can believe it)

I can't. Off to YouTube I go...

Joe Jackson's version of "What A Beautiful World It Will Be" beats both Donald Fagen's and Howard Jones'.

And Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Kamakawiwo'ole) version (combined with "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" kicks everybody's ass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr-alr7P_qk)!

:cool:

bouv
09-29-2007, 11:25 PM
I have an MP3 of a blue-grassy/country version of Snoop Dogg's "Gin and Juice." I don't know if the artist listed on the file is right, but if it is, then it's by The Gourds and it's awesome.

Moirai
09-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Joe Jackson's version of "What A Beautiful World It Will Be" beats both Donald Fagen's and Howard Jones'

ACK! I read this title wrong! Sorry!

Oh well, Iz' "What a Wonderful World" is the best version ever, anyway.

Moirai
09-29-2007, 11:38 PM
And while I'm on the subject, Iz kicks John Denver's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbPH1ue0Gpo) ass, too!

(I love this clip- my kids and I have bodysurfed that coast when it wasn't breaking...).

Purd Werfect
09-30-2007, 12:26 AM

And to stir the pot, the criminally unknown The Triffids did the best verion of In The Pines yet on their album of the same name (recorded in New Zealand shearing sheds). Occasionally out on reissue and well worth seeking out.

devilsknew
09-30-2007, 02:53 AM
The Ramones- California Sun

devilsknew
09-30-2007, 02:57 AM
Bruce Willis (Return of Bruno)- Secret Agent Man

Raguleader
09-30-2007, 03:04 AM
I'm rather fond of Hugh Laurie's cover of Hey Jude (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkpNkBFUKMM) :cool:

foolsguinea
09-30-2007, 04:20 AM
Has it taken this long for someone to mention Joe Cocker's cover of the Beatles' "With a Little Help from My Friends," or did I just miss it?

'Cos after Aerosmith's "Come Together," that's the obvious.

Red Barchetta
09-30-2007, 04:52 AM
I'm a fan of the Vanessa Carlton (http://www.last.fm/music/Vanessa+Carlton/_/Paint+It+Black) cover of "Paint It Black" by the Rolling Stones.

I'm partial to U2's version, myself.

Layla01
09-30-2007, 05:27 AM
The Faces -Maybe I'm Amazed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLhoLkTyNkM) - definitely better than the original.

Spoke
09-30-2007, 09:34 AM

:confused:

That song was original to Queen. Written by Freddie Mercury. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Little_Thing_Called_Love) You might be confused because it is a rockabilly song, in the style of Elvis Presley.

ShakWave
09-30-2007, 01:18 PM
My vote is for

Deftones' - If Only Tonight We Could Sleep originally by The Cure
Deftones' - No Ordinary Love originally by Sade
Disturbed - Shout originally by Tears For Fears
Grave Digger - No Quarter originally by Led Zeppelin (Awesome guitar solo in the middle of the song)

Sophistry and Illusion
09-30-2007, 02:21 PM
There's nothing wrong with Dolly, but in this case Jack White simply owns the song. Check out this version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVCq1etICQE) performed live on Conan. Fantastic.
Okay, I admit that was pretty good. But I'm still adamant on the Whitney/Dolly question.

UltraVires
09-30-2007, 02:28 PM
I think Celene Dion did a better version of that song, ummm:

Forget the title, but it goes:

"If you touch me like this and if you hold me like that...I was so long ago but it's all coming back to me"

Didn't Meatloaf and some other chick do that earlier?

ZebraShaSha
09-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Devendra Banhart covering Oasis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fer_vdrd2L4

caP'n Jazz's Take on Me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5_xUlC3f_k Sounds way better on their only CD ever.

ThisSpaceForRent
09-30-2007, 02:58 PM
For the record...(pun intended), The Grateful Dead WAS a cover band. Yes they did some original material but their repertoire was HUGE. Including too many Dylan songs to mention. Their cover of Watchtower (especially 4/1/2005 Memphis TN) was great...as was the cover of Al Greens Take Me to the River; Only played three times, I was at all three shows.

I like Leftover Salmons covers of Iko Iko/Brother John and their twist on lots of the Bluegrass masters tunes especially Ain't Gonna Work Tomorrow

tsfr

Clothahump
09-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Alison Krause and Union Station - "Now That I've Found You".

denquixote
09-30-2007, 11:49 PM
"Walkin' Blues" a Robert Johnson song from the 30's has been covered by every blues band since, but the best ever version IMHO is by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

Annie-Xmas
10-01-2007, 08:25 AM
It doesn't get any better than Louie Armstrong's "Hello Dolly"

Spoke
10-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Alison Krause and Union Station - "Now That I've Found You".

Hey speaking of bluegrass covers, Salamander Crossing did a bluegrass cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Two Faces Have I" which I like better than the original. (And the original is damn good.) You can find a sample here. (http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Train-Salamander-Crossing/dp/B000005DSB/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-2169314-0534457?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1191242975&sr=1-3)

Killerjoke
10-01-2007, 12:43 PM
I always enjoy two fairly close-to-the-original covers from back in my days working at a record store (mid 80's, so yes it was a record store.)

Just Walk Away Renee by Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes (on the 'At Least We Got Shoes' album) is faithful to the Left Banke original, but I like it better. Hardly ever hear it, though.

Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood by Elvis Costello (on his 'King of America' album) is also a pretty faithful cover of the Animals cover. I've never heard the Nina Simone original. Since I love Elvis, his is my favorite version. Wikipedia tells me (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Let_Me_Be_Misunderstood) that Cat Stevens has recently released a cover of it. If he still sounds as good as he did in the 70's, that might be worth a listen, too.

Zyada
10-02-2007, 09:27 PM
[Grumpy Old Person]

[/GOP]

This explains some things! :D *flees*

MerryMagdalen
10-02-2007, 11:49 PM
I prefer Rammstein's version of "Stripped" to the Depeche Mode original. My sister, a huge DM fan, actually agrees with me, but says the original sounds better in the context of the album it's on.

Please don't hurt me.

Rick
10-03-2007, 12:40 AM
Sorry, but that version sucks big time.
I don't care who sold the most records of it, Dolly wrote it, and She owns it.

Oh, and get off my lawn.

Eolbo
10-03-2007, 01:42 AM
Frente!'s version of New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle"

I was going to mention this one but you beat me to it. Great track.

Melanie Safka's version of 'Ruby Tuesday'

Polerius
10-03-2007, 02:47 AM
Lilly Allen's version of Keane's "Everybody's Changing"
Nooooooooo! :eek:
Sinead O'Connor's version of Prince's "Nothing Compares 2 U"
That's what I came in here to say.

mr. jp
10-03-2007, 09:05 AM
A lot of good ones mentioned already. A few more I can think of:

Dread Zeppelin - Your Time is Gonna Come
Beseech - Gimme, Gimme, Gimme
Jimmy Ellis - Rockin' little angel
Shonen Knife - Daydream Believer
Tool - You Lied

You think so? Maybe you should listen to Elvis' version again to compare. :)

Hazle Weatherfield
10-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Dixie Chicks just blow me away with their version of "Landslide."

Wee Bairn
10-03-2007, 03:31 PM
The Brothers Johnson did Strawberry Letter 23 far better than Shuggie Otis, who can play guitar but can't sing a lick.

Sly Stone's "Que Sera Sera" is better than the original- Doris Day perhaps?

Also whatever r&b group redid Stevie Wonder's "Lately" in the 90's blew him out of the water.

Ultraviolet
10-03-2007, 05:58 PM
A bit late to the party, but what about Nick Cave and Shane MacGowan (from the Pogues) shambling through What a wonderful world. Puts a debauched and gleefully dark spin on the song.

ShakWave
10-03-2007, 07:34 PM
I prefer Rammstein's version of "Stripped" to the Depeche Mode original.

Chiming in with another vote on this one.

Sleel
10-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Sarah Mclachlan's cover of "Dear God" by XTC is brilliant. I like the original, I love her version.

Gob did a cover of "Paint it Black" on the soundtrack for Stir of Echoes. I slightly prefer that version to the original, but that's mostly because of some sound updating. That's such a kick-ass song that practically all the (numerous) cover versions are worth listening to.

There are some things I like about the NIN version of "Lost Souls" and some things I like about the original. I've got both and listen to them about equally. I might never have heard the original without being made aware of it by the cover, so that might give the edge to Reznor.

I agree with an earlier poster that the alternate version of "Don't Stand so Close to Me" by the Police was better than the single version.

Ludovic
10-04-2007, 09:07 AM
I agree with an earlier poster that the alternate version of "Don't Stand so Close to Me" by the Police was better than the single version.I must have blocked that post out of my memory due to the psychic scars it left :eek:

The original DSSCtM is the Police doing what the Police do best -- a dark story behind a peppy rockin sound. DSSCtM86 sounds like they were all on downers. It does have a kick-ass drum intro, though.

GargoyleWB
10-04-2007, 10:23 AM
:confused:

That song was original to Queen. Written by Freddie Mercury. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Little_Thing_Called_Love) You might be confused because it is a rockabilly song, in the style of Elvis Presley.

What? No way. Consider my ignorance dispelled. I'm even more impressed by the song now, it sounds so much like an Elvis cover that my own brain generated an Elvis original that I can still hear in my head.

To restate, Queen's version is much better than the one in my head :)

Infovore
10-04-2007, 12:53 PM
I specifically came in here to mention Alanis Morrisette's cover of "My Humps" (I can't stand the original--I quite like the cover) but somebody beat me to it.

A couple more that others mentioned: Live's cover of "I Walk the Line" and Johnny Cash's of "Hurt."

Nothing specific comes to mind, but Richard Cheese did some fun covers of several songs (mostly rap) that I don't like the originals of. Ah, yes: "Baby Got Back" is one of my favorite examples.

The Flying Pickets did a very nice covers of Dylan's "Masters of War" and Duran Duran's "Psycho Killer."

rhythmonly
10-04-2007, 04:47 PM
"Knights in White Satin" by The Dickies.

thelurkinghorror
10-04-2007, 05:35 PM
There are some things I like about the NIN version of "Lost Souls" and some things I like about the original. I've got both and listen to them about equally. I might never have heard the original without being made aware of it by the cover, so that might give the edge to Reznor.Nitpicking: "Dead Souls," and I think the original is better. I do slightly prefer Xiu Xiu over Joy Division/New Order for "Ceremony," for pathos.

They also did "Don't Cha," popularized by the Pussycat Dolls. I have never heard Xiu Xiu's version, but I guarantee that it is better.

rhythmonly
10-04-2007, 06:10 PM
"Magical Mystery Tour"
"California Man"
"Waiting for The Man/Heroin"

All by Cheap Trick.

HoboStew
10-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Last Caress by The Misfits - great.
Last Caress by Metallica - best cover ever.

doverpro
10-06-2007, 01:25 AM
Respect covered by Aretha Franklin