PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Hellgate: London players!

Skywatcher
09-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Well, prospective players at this point.

I have an extra invite for beta testing up for grabs.

Revenant Threshold
09-30-2007, 11:55 PM
If it's open for Euro Dopers, me please!

Skywatcher
10-01-2007, 03:44 PM
You should be able to use it, I'll forward sometime tonight.

Wish I could find specific screen shots online but I think I know which class the "male who likes to play scantily clad females" type will flock to. :D

Skywatcher
10-01-2007, 04:02 PM
This shot of Peri (http://www.shillpages.com/dw/story/d6/st--6x35.jpg) should give you some idea.

Ike Witt
10-01-2007, 05:33 PM
How did you get a beta to begin with?

I've been looking forward to this game since before the original release date was missed a long time ago.

DigitalC
10-01-2007, 05:50 PM
If you pre order the game you are admitted to the beta in a few days. I got in through gamestop. Is the NDA still on? cause i'd love to talk about it but i don't want to break any rules.

Skywatcher
10-01-2007, 11:29 PM
If you pre order the game you are admitted to the beta in a few days. I got in through gamestop. I preordered through Gamestop and my extra one is from Gamespot. Is the NDA still on? As far as I know it is. Haven't seen anything indicating otherwise.

Skywatcher
10-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Oh, crap. I thought I had a code from Gamespot but I misread where it was from. Sometimes I think I have a little dyslexia. :)

A thousand pardons.

Revenant Threshold
10-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Ah, no worries. I'll just wait for the actual release date with the rest of the shlubs. ;)

Skywatcher
10-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Hellgate London Facing Launch Shortages? (http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/34843/Hellgate-London-Facing-Launch-Shortages)

Ike Witt
10-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Is the game going to require a monthly subscription?

Skywatcher
10-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Is the game going to require a monthly subscription?Not really; it's set up like Dungeon Runners (http://www.dungeonrunners.com/). You can go at it in the style of Diablo II--only pay for the disc the game comes on and play solo or online multiplayer. Or, like Dungeon Runners, you can pay a fee to use better stuff, a dozen character slots instead of three, a double-size bank (which is shared among all characters on your account), access to a transit system for remote areas, PvP, Hardcore mode (PvP + Hardcore should be interesting to watch), guilds and guild houses, preferential treatment when logging in, expanded content (and expansions) at no extra charge.

Skywatcher
10-19-2007, 01:17 PM
A single-player demo was release yesterday.

I haven't been able to play the beta since the client was updated. Mine won't update for some reason. :(

At least I'll be able to play for real in two weeks. :D

Skywatcher
10-19-2007, 05:39 PM
In other news, the NDA's been lifted! (http://www.hellgatelondon.com/underground/subscribers-and-patch-0)

Revenant Threshold
10-19-2007, 06:03 PM
In other news, the NDA's been lifted! (http://www.hellgatelondon.com/underground/subscribers-and-patch-0) So.. your thoughts?

Skywatcher
10-20-2007, 12:43 AM
Great game, when it works. No real serious problems, IMO, just a little annoying and they may have been fixed. The one serious problem that I'm aware of, which required players to abandon their characters after getting stuck, has been fixed. I haven't been able to check yet but my new client says it's finally installed. Plenty of Diablo in-jokes, like the kid who gives you his wooden leg after you retrieve his hi-tech one. There are currently six player classes--Blademaster, Engineer, Evoker, Guardian, Marksman, and Summoner. In terms of CoX, IMO:

Blademasters = Scrappers. They start out with a sword and a shield, but can soon dual wield to deal tons o' damage.

Guardians = Tankers. I love being a Tank in CoX but not here.

Engineers = Masterminds. They're masters of robotics and, as such, can build support drones. They're also very capable of defending themselves with rifles or dual pistols.

Marksmen = Blasters. These men and women are best when attacking from long range but also have access to some nasty close range grenades. Aiming these grenades can be a bit tricky. I found that bouncing them off walls is a good way to get them to land in a beneficial spot, they're also good for tossing around corners.

Evokers = Defenders. This is one of the support classes.

Summoners = Controllers. This is the other support class and, as the name implies, can summon pets.

More classes are planned for after launch. Even with the small problems, I do intend to get the $150 lifetime subscription. The devs have stated that they plan to roll out small additions monthly and large additions every three months; subscribers will get these at no extra charge, as I mentioned earlier.

Skywatcher
10-20-2007, 12:54 AM
Oh, and this game is both DX9 and DX10 compliant so XP SP2 and Vista users can both play.

Skywatcher
10-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Hellgate's character creation screen (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1655246474&size=o) and the class I was referring to earlier. :D

Tamerlane
10-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Even with the small problems, I do intend to get the $150 lifetime subscription. The devs have stated that they plan to roll out small additions monthly and large additions every three months; subscribers will get these at no extra charge, as I mentioned earlier.

Is the single-player game worth it as a standalone? I don't want none of y'alls internet cooties :p.

Revenant Threshold
10-20-2007, 01:37 PM
The demo seems pretty good. I don't know if it was supposed to end at some point; I just ran out of quests and places to go, but I still had a quest item. Weird. But yeah, seemed good to me, and I haven't been put off getting it.

Only Mostly Dead
10-20-2007, 06:28 PM
I've only had the Beta for two days, so can't say much now that the NDA is up.

I've only played any particular character up to level 5 or so, just to get a taste of the classes. So far, I'm liking the Marksman, and just playing the game as a fairly straightforward FPS. The two melee character types seem a bit...awkward... in their implementation, trying to get the swings to always connect as you're swarmed. Do higher level swords allow that swing to keep going, hit more than one baddie at once? Tried a summoner for all of about 15 minutes, and was just too put off by how weak he is. From experiences with Diablo, this means he'll kick the most ass at higher levels, but it's hell getting him there.

The game feels good. The environments look good, the fighting is interesting enough, there's even a good suspenseful atmosphere, especially when some creatures can just materialize in front of you.

I'm going to buy the game on release, but I can't see getting the lifetime subscription. Not being a power player, it may be hard to justify even going month-to-month on fees if there really is a solid basic game available. I can't see them leaving the free players totally vulnerable at higher difficulties/later in the game just because they don't have access to the extra-sweet pay equipment. I'd imagine the biggest hits on not having the pay membership will be only three characters available to you, denying you three of the six classes at a time, and the smaller storage/stash.

I haven't come across it yet, but I'm wondering for those who have advanced further in the game: Is there a stash system? A larger storage option within the safe zones so that you don't have to carry all your junk on you? Diablo II had it, Guild Wars has it (and allows different characters on an account to share). It's damned useful, especially in a game where you have crafting materials/upgrades/etc that you need to stockpile for some time before you can make use of them. Anybody who's advanced a bit through the beta: any stash/storage outside of what your character can carry?

DigitalC
10-20-2007, 06:48 PM
There are lockers at every station, they are just really hard to notice unless you know they are there. They look like lockers on the wall, usually they are by the shop.

Skywatcher
10-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Do higher level swords allow that swing to keep going, hit more than one baddie at once? Yeah, and two swords are even better. You might also be making the same mistake that I did early on: pressing the "attack" button for each attack instead of just holding it down until the mobs within range are dead.I can't see them leaving the free players totally vulnerable at higher difficulties/later in the game just because they don't have access to the extra-sweet pay equipment.Pay equipment won't be better, only flashier.

Revenant Threshold
10-20-2007, 06:59 PM
I suspect i'll be Engineering. Normally i'm happy just with long-range shooty characters, but give me the option to boss around robots and i'm going to take it.

Skywatcher
10-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Just remembered something else I didn't notice early on: there are alternate hand slots for F1, F2, and F3. Press one of these to change whatever you're holding.

Lightnin'
10-20-2007, 08:57 PM
I downloaded it last night, and got it installed this morning. I started up an Evoker named Parfex, and played for about fifteen minutes before I had to run off to do some errands. I've got all night to myself, so I planned on having a decent amount of time to play the game to see if I'm going to like it...

So, of course, the servers are down until TOMORROW NIGHT. :smack:

Seriously, guys, not a good way to get people interested in the game.

Only Mostly Dead
10-20-2007, 09:51 PM
I downloaded it last night, and got it installed this morning. I started up an Evoker named Parfex, and played for about fifteen minutes before I had to run off to do some errands. I've got all night to myself, so I planned on having a decent amount of time to play the game to see if I'm going to like it...

So, of course, the servers are down until TOMORROW NIGHT. :smack:

Seriously, guys, not a good way to get people interested in the game.
That long? Rats.

Seriously, you do your server upgrades in anticipation for the game during mid-week. Not on the weekend when you're trying to make beta fans foam at the mouth with anticipation.

There are lockers at every station, they are just really hard to notice unless you know they are there. They look like lockers on the wall, usually they are by the shop.
Okay. Good to know. Before the server maintenance is done: how much space will my locker afford me?

Skywatcher
10-20-2007, 10:00 PM
the servers are down until TOMORROW NIGHT. :smack: Tomorrow morning, specifically 10:30 Pacific. Unless that's been changed.

Lightnin'
10-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Tomorrow morning, specifically 10:30 Pacific. Unless that's been changed.

Nope, you're correct. I'd misread it. Still, dammit... that's the time I'm leaving to go see a game tomorrow. Argh.

Only Mostly Dead
10-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Before the game went live on 10/31, and things were still in Beta, I was hoping that it'd be mostly polished, that any errors occurring would be minor and in-game and still let me play and enjoy for the most part.

Too bad, since yesterday afternoon, I've been among (it seems) the hordes of players experiencing a major login error. It's probably server-side, but it's claiming that my firewall and/or antivirus is denying access. I know that this is exactly why a Beta takes place, but I want to play!

I'm just wondering whether "3139", the code for the error, will become an in-game meme, maybe even a joking item or event created by the staff.