PDA

View Full Version : What children's books/shows/music bring fond memories and comfort to you now?

minor7flat5
10-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Just thought about this yesterday.

I was at the gym, running ten miles on the treadmill in a room filled with muscle-bound badasses (Trenton cops like this gym), and I had my iPod Shuffle on.

Nobody there would possibly imagined what I was listening to...

Free To Be ... You and Me (http://www.amazon.com/Free-1972-Television-Cast/dp/B000002VDL/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-0871515-7305460?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1191442123&sr=1-2)

I'm glad nobody knew.

A friend of mine lent me the CD some years back, to share with our kids, of course.

Little did she know that I went home and popped in that CD and was immediately taken back to my childhood in 1972 -- when my somewhat-feminist mom bought this album for me and my brother to listen to.

I don't know why, but it is enjoyable and comforting, and I sometimes put it on while running.

Sarahfeena
10-03-2007, 04:19 PM
I read the Little House books when I'm depressed. They always make me feel better.

TLDRIDKJKLOLFTW
10-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Fraggle Rock is a long, lazy bong hit of childhood for me.

Maggie the Ocelot
10-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Just thought about this yesterday.

I was at the gym, running ten miles on the treadmill in a room filled with muscle-bound badasses (Trenton cops like this gym), and I had my iPod Shuffle on.

Nobody there would possibly imagined what I was listening to...

Free To Be ... You and Me (http://www.amazon.com/Free-1972-Television-Cast/dp/B000002VDL/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-0871515-7305460?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1191442123&sr=1-2)

I'm glad nobody knew.

A friend of mine lent me the CD some years back, to share with our kids, of course.

Little did she know that I went home and popped in that CD and was immediately taken back to my childhood in 1972 -- when my somewhat-feminist mom bought this album for me and my brother to listen to.

I don't know why, but it is enjoyable and comforting, and I sometimes put it on while running.

This is exactly the one I was going to say. I grew up on that album...

Freudian Slit
10-03-2007, 04:22 PM
I read old Babysitters Club books. My friend and I started re-finding them a while back. It brings back memories.

I also like watching Are You Afraid of the Dark eps.

SaharaTea
10-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Charlotte's Web. I hadn't thought about that book in years, and then the other day I saw the cover (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte's_Web) and the memories came flooding back. Tears even welled up.

Also, the poetry of Shel Silverstein (http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/16480) still makes me laugh.

Khadaji
10-03-2007, 06:03 PM
The Great Pumpkin and most of the Christmas specials.

toadspittle
10-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Whenever we're stressed/depressed, my wife and I watch My Neighbor Totoro.

panache45
10-03-2007, 07:12 PM
The Winnie the Pooh books
The Babar books
The Little Prince
The Pokey Little Puppy

and my all-time favorite:
The Tall Book of Make-Believe

(Obviously I was a kid a long time before most of you.)

hanna the curious
10-03-2007, 07:25 PM
The Winnie the Pooh books
The Babar books
The Little Prince
The Pokey Little Puppy

and my all-time favorite:
The Tall Book of Make-Believe

(Obviously I was a kid a long time before most of you.)

I'm totally with you on the Tall Book of Make-Believe, but not Poky Puppy. Snuffy the TugBoat and Grandpa Bunny were way cooler.

On a more modern(?) note, the Melendy series and the Gone-Away Lake series from Eliz. Enright are good for the gap times when I have nothing else. Also the original Mary Poppins. Disney did not get it right. Go to the source.

Silver Tyger
10-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Thundercats
Silverhawks
Jem & the Holograms (I have most of the music on my computer)
Sharon, Lois & Bram on record
Eric Nagler on record
The Hobbit (the old movie)
The Last Unicorn

ZipperJJ
10-03-2007, 08:41 PM
I got the Sesame Street Boxed Set (3 or 4 discs of Sesame songs) and ripped it to my computer. Sometimes when I'm at work one of the songs pops up in my playlist. I absolutely cherish Sesame Street music.

I also grew up listening to Free To Be You and Me...but in the 80's. I guess my parents were hippies.

What Exit?
10-03-2007, 09:05 PM
For me it is the "Yellow Submarine", movie or song.
Mary Poppins
"Puff the Magic Dragon" (The Song)
Battle Evermore & Stairway to Heaven (I grew up listening to this, my siblings are much older)
Reading Heinlein Juveniles like Red Planet and Starship Troopers.
Charlie Brown Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street and The Grinch.

Jim

Miss Woodhouse
10-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Mr. Rogers. he's still on every afternoon even after all these years. My kids love him just as much as I did. (How many times was Lady Aberlin pregnant anyway?)

jayjay
10-03-2007, 09:27 PM
The Muppet Show (especially sublimely surreal stuff like Mahna-Mahna and the Muppet Show version of the Banana Boat Song ("Trust me"))
Fraggle Rock

Thornton Burgess's Old Mother West Wind (http://www.boop.org/jan/omww/) stories. No, I'm not that old, but I found the story collections in the children's section of my local library when I was about seven and I've never forgotten the stories. I still read them sometimes...

Dr. Seuss, especially the lesser-known ones, like On Beyond Zebra and If I Ran The Zoo.

Old Carl Barks Donald Duck comics. I somehow ran across a collection of them when I was a kid and I still remember some of them.

Lucky 13
10-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Scooby-Doo. I always identified with Velma rather than Daphne. I do find Scrappy annoying, though.

I miss the Ramona books, and am waiting for the Princess to turn 6 so I can introduce them to her.

There used to be some anime series that I watched as a child, that I wish I could find on DVD now, including "Candy Candy", "Mahou Sally-chan", and "Heidi of the Swiss Alps". They were dubbed into Spanish when I first saw them. When I went to Anime Expo earlier this year, I was surprised to find that "Voltron" and "Robotech" are being reissued. I saw at least one man my age standing before the Robotech display with an ecstatic look on his face, but did not dare disturb his reverie as he was transported to his youthful otaku years. :)

Cyn
10-03-2007, 11:06 PM
My dad had as LP of silly songs but I think they were more 50's novelty songs than children's music but he would sing and we would dance to The Witch Doctor (The Big Bopper?) and The One-Eyed One-Horned Flying Purple People Eater!

mobo85
10-03-2007, 11:08 PM
My dad had as LP of silly songs but I think they were more 50's novelty songs than children's music but he would sing and we would dance to The Witch Doctor (The Big Bopper?)

Witch Doctor was written and performed by David Seville (Ross Bagdasarian).

ivylass
10-04-2007, 08:15 AM
I have all the L Frank Baum Oz books. I reread them recently...got me right back to age 10-12.

The CBS special music they used to play before Rudolph, Frosty, etc, really pulls me back. It's when I was allowed to stay up late on a school night because Something Special was on.

DiggitCamara
10-04-2007, 11:03 AM
I have all the L Frank Baum Oz books. I reread them recently...got me right back to age 10-12.

The CBS special music they used to play before Rudolph, Frosty, etc, really pulls me back. It's when I was allowed to stay up late on a school night because Something Special was on.
On a similar vein, after mysteriously losing my copy of the "Neverending Story" ("Unendliche Geschichte") by Michael Ende, I recently got someone to buy it for me in Germany and just re-read it. Brought me right back to my 10th birthday.

CalMeacham
10-04-2007, 11:09 AM
The old Classics Illustrated comics

Treasure Chest comics

Wonders of Science...Simplified -- circa 1942 science book. Parts of it are hopelessly outdated now (the times of the geologic eras are completely off), but some of it is history that never changes (one page shows the construction of about 20 different types of electrical batteries. Three other pages show different methods of television broadcasting -- from 1942!) And the book is pretty obviously a British production, although it's printed in the US and never says this is the case (The spelling is frequently British, and the illustration style is definitely the kind they used then in Britain)

Seventh Voyage of Sinbad -- one of Harryhausen's best films.

minor7flat5
10-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Witch Doctor was written and performed by David Seville (Ross Bagdasarian).Though I grew up listening to David Seville and the Chipmunks, I don't think I could make it through an entire album these days. Give me Free to Be... any day.

Fretful Porpentine
10-04-2007, 12:52 PM
I read the Little House books when I'm depressed. They always make me feel better.
Oh yes. I'm also fond of Laura Ingalls Wilder's urban counterpart, Sydney Taylor.

And The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is still a wonderful book, even if you're thirty-one and an atheist.

Sarahfeena
10-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Oh yes. I'm also fond of Laura Ingalls Wilder's urban counterpart, Sydney Taylor.

And The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is still a wonderful book, even if you're thirty-one and an atheist. We must have similar taste...I loved All of a Kind Family, too, and reread them a ton as a kid, and even a few times as an adult.

I also love The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. Haven't read that one in years, though.

L.M. Montgomery's books are also comfort reading for me.

Missy2U
10-04-2007, 02:10 PM
I still read my old Nancy Drew books, as well as my Cherry Ames books. But only when I'm depressed.

Zsofia
10-04-2007, 02:11 PM
When I'm home for lunch at the right time I like to watch Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. It makes me feel very peaceful.

Mr. Rogers was a great man.

Kythereia
10-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Thirding (or fourthing or nthing) the Anne series by L.M. Montgomery; also adding--and I bet you ten bucks nobody will remember these--Eureka's Castle and Ghostwriter.

The Chao Goes Mu
10-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Muppets
Facts of Life
Sesame Street
Charlie Brown Specials
Charlotte's Web on TV
The annual showing of Wizard of Oz
Dr. Seuss
I Love Lucy
The book Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs.

jayjay
10-04-2007, 03:45 PM
That reminds me: the song "On Top of Spaghetti"

plnnr
10-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Old Carl Barks Donald Duck comics. I somehow ran across a collection of them when I was a kid and I still remember some of them.

Scrooge McDuck, who, at last count, had 473 mazillion, 223 scarillion, 983 impossibillion dollars at his disposal, was fond of saying "I like to jump in my money vault and swim around in my money, like a dolphin."

The Beagle Boys were part of that comic, IIRC.

Clockwork And Candy
10-04-2007, 03:59 PM
...also adding--and I bet you ten bucks nobody will remember these--Eureka's Castle and Ghostwriter.

I do! I watched both of those shows when I was young. In fact, I almost mentioned Ghostwriter in the scary TV thread. There was a 2-part episode of Ghostwriter in which a purple slimy monster was chasing the kids. That was so scary! Everywhere they went, there he was. And it was like, if his slime touched you, you were frozen FOREVER.

Eureka's Castle. I mostly remember the opening to it. That giant winding up the castle and the theme song. Well, that and those orange and purple otters (?) who loved PB&J. Those shows were neat.

Hockey Monkey
10-04-2007, 04:11 PM
A friend of mine is in a band called Busy World, and a group of us went to see him perform at a coffee shop a couple of weeks ago. He mentioned that if you Google "Busy World", the first sites returned are Richard Scarry. This got me and another friend talking about Richard Scarry's books. "Hey do you remember Huckle Cat?" "What about Lowly Worm?" "Yeah, Lowly drives an apple car!" All of which got us some very weird looks from the rest of our friends. I got home that night and dug out my Richard Scarry books. The first one I got was for my 4th birthday in 1975. There was an inscription on the title page. The cover is missing. I started leafing through it and was propelled back to my childhood instantly. I have 3 of the books and I went through all of them, and I must say, I still find them as compelling as I did when I was a kid. I practically wore those books to pieces. I realize now that much of what I learned about how the world works, and my interest for how things work came from those books. I'm so glad my Mom saved them for me.

Cemetery Savior
10-04-2007, 04:14 PM
I'll second The Hobbit cartoon. I still find myself singing that song in the shower (I have a baritone voice...the dogs look at me like I'm nuts):

Fifteen Birds, in five fir trees...
Their feathers were fanned
By the fiery breeze...
What funny little birds,
They have no wings...
Oh, what shall we do
With the funny little things?

I'll still re-read the Dark Is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper once every two years or so.

I still think of my mom whenever Sloop John B off of Pet Sounds comes on the radio. We used to sing along to that album and to The Kingston Trio (I remember Lemon Tree most of all) on our crappy little record player, with albums from the library.

-Cem

Bosstone
10-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Animalympics. Beat that, 80s kids. I love loading up the musical segments on YouTube every now and again while I'm working.