PDA

View Full Version : Survivor: China - Ep. 3: "I Lost Two Hands and Possibly a Shoulder"

CapnPitt
10-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Previously on Survivor:

Bogus Boobs Booted. Former Model Models Bad Leadership Skills.
Oh and pixellated mud wrestling boobies.

For tonight, I'm hoping for more views of the Fe-Mullet.

TVGuide (http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TV-Show-Blog/Survivor-China/Preview-Long-Live/800023579) gives a good preview for once:

The Fei Long tribe continued to prove its superiority in challenges last week by winning both the reward and the immunity contests. They are now four for four in head-to-head competitions. If Zhan Hu loses immunity again, irritating leader Dave just might be reunited with evicted enemy Ashley sooner than he thinks. Tonight, the teams play for comfort items (pillows, blankets, a tarp) in a boat challenge. The winner kidnaps an opposing tribe member, who bonds with the other team over issues of faith. But is it in good faith?

I'm no rockle, but I figured this might get the ball rolling.

Terminus Est
10-04-2007, 01:53 PM
They missed the most important part:
Jeff Probst is the host.
:D

CapnPitt
10-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Terminus Est, you are exactly right. I should have filled the gap for them.

Borborygmi
10-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Previous episode linkies!
1: A Chicken's A Little Bit Smarter (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=437261)
2: My Mom Is Going To Kill Me! (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=438134&page=1&pp=50)
3: Hi, rockle! (http://www.houstonheat.com/Philadelphia_Phillies.gif)

They missed the most important part:
Jeff Probst is the host.I wonder if the rumors are true that...

Another contestant is voted off.

Sapo
10-04-2007, 02:57 PM
The ads do bring a lot of attention on this particular guy. I hope it doesn't mean that he sows fear over camp and gets voted out.

The Chao Goes Mu
10-04-2007, 03:30 PM
I'd watch this show much more regularly if once in a while we got to see the contestants gossipping about each other and maybe some back-stabbing too. Just once. That's all I'm asking for.

silenus
10-04-2007, 03:39 PM
If they stopped pixelating everything interesting, the ratings would go through the roof!

OK, they can pixelate Probst.

Lamar Mundane
10-04-2007, 10:55 PM
What's this doing on page two at this time of night? Everyone too depressed about the Phillies and Yankees?

Without mentioning any names, another player who was only in the game because of his/her "story" is gone, and it gets closer to being a good game. Hopefully Survivor is going to become like that scene from the first "Indiana Jones" movie, where the big scary guy with the costume and swordplay puts on a big show, after which Indy shrugs, pulls out a pistol, and kills him. Bring game, not attitude.

The other thing about this episode which stuck with me was when the first woman swung the huge machete at the rope and they did the freeze frame, I was sure she was going to miss and hack off her leg.

Also, next weeks challenge oficially looks like the greatest in Survivor history.

silenus
10-04-2007, 11:26 PM
What's this doing on page two at this time of night? Everyone too depressed about the Phillies and Yankees?

Yankees lost, right? Who could be depressed about that? :D

Dave approach to the Reward Challenge was....interesting. Didn't seem to help him much, though.

Batsinma Belfry
10-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Does Denise speak?

I'm not loving James as much as I was. And I'm starting to like Courtney.

Just Ed
10-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Interesting week. Fei Long has developed a three-tiered dynamic, with two factions and a couple of free-agent question marks, while Zhan Hu looks to have settled into an uneasy truce after winning a couple of challenges (rewards and immunity always make for a more peaceful camp, though).

On to the completely arbitrary rankings:

Hostage - No ransom forthcoming: Leslie (Fei Long) couldn't survive a friendly kidnapping after revealing potential kinship with members of the opposing tribe. Note to self: If ever in same position, don't volunteer information relating to how close you felt to members of the other team. :smack:

Hard Target - Still very little idea who these people are:
Erik (Zhan Hu), Denise (Fei Long) - Is Denise mute?

Broken Arrow - The future does not look rosy:
Courtney (Fei Long) does not seem long for the show, with her pitiful showing in the Immunity Challenge and failing to win Todd's sympathies in the vote. No escaping she really is the physically weakest member of the tribe, and no guarantee her assured future losses in individual physical challenges will be enough to keep her around.

Face/Off - Intra-tribal dynamics:
Fei Long's factions have the threesome alliance of Todd, Amanda, and Aaron vying for dominance with the brawny twosome of James and Jean-Robert. Should be interesting to see where Denise winds up in this, and whether or not Courtney can be strategically useful enough to stick around despite her physical shortcomings.

Zhan Hu, with a couple of challenge wins, now have the still-abrasive Dave dealing with a Peih-Gee apparently concerned about his health and well-being; Jaime dealing with two clues to the Hidden Immunity Idol (thanks to Leslie) she apparently doesn't understand; and Sherea and Frosti dealing, apparently, with . . . um . . . not much (maybe they hung out with Erik this week). At any rate, they won a couple of challenges, so they're happy for the moment (or at least able to soldier on obliviously).

Coming attractions: Next week, Sherea apparently shows Dave a bit of the Art of (Vocal) War, and the locals (?) demonstrate some ancient weaponry.

singular1
10-05-2007, 08:09 AM
For tonight, I'm hoping for more views of the Fe-Mullet.

Careful what you wish for, dude. That pixellated nether-mullet is the stuff of nightmares.... :eek:

And what the hell was with that freeze-frame at the challenge? I expected to see cartoon "SMASH!" "POW!" graphics over them. I know they're trying to spice things up, but that was pretty lame. At first I was annoyed, thinking my DVR was messed up. Then I was mildly intrigued, then annoyed again, then amused at Courtney's ping! freeze for her leisurely filleting effort. I hope they drop this affectation and use the extra time to let Denise actually speak. Can't wait for next week's challenge - that looks amazing! Lunchlady should rock that with her mad stick-fighting skillz!

Borborygmi
10-05-2007, 08:14 AM
I liked Jean-Robert's strategy of appearing to be a lecherous douchebag. Now, when there's an occasion where he's less of a lecherous douchebag than everyone is expecting, everyone will be all like "Hey, Jean-Robert is too valuable not to keep around... he's less of a lecherous douchebag than we thought he was."

I, too, am wondering if lunch lady Denise can speak. In my mind I'm imagining her first talking head confessional to be 20 seconds of silence followed by something like "Sorry, kids, we're out of chocolate milk."

longhair75
10-05-2007, 08:19 AM
This lack of conversation from the lunch lady could be some incredibly subtle bit of editing to keep her completely under the viewer's radar in preparation for some massive strategic move on her part.

PunditLisa
10-05-2007, 08:29 AM
And what the hell was with that freeze-frame at the challenge? I expected to see cartoon "SMASH!" "POW!" graphics over them.

LOL.

Courtney absolutely sucked at that challenge and I'm really surprised that they didn't vote her off, for no other reason to allow her to get some calories before she collapses. I guess Leslie buried herself when she told them all that she told the other tribe "little bits" of information about each member, like "Adam, I told them that you're our reluctant leader." Woman, keep your mouth shut.

I think they ought to be really careful about the FA dude (Todd?). If he's willing to vote Leslie off after she revealed the HI clue to him, then I'd say he's a real cut throat.

The gravedigger has rocked on all the challenges. He'd better be lucky though because not only are Courtney and Todd ticked at him (thanks to his big mouth) but if a merge ever takes places, he'll be the first to go.

Dave was really, really obnoxious. Either he's always a jerk or he's got a major blood sugar problem.

silenus
10-05-2007, 10:36 AM
This lack of conversation from the lunch lady could be some incredibly subtle bit of editing to keep her completely under the viewer's radar in preparation for some massive strategic move on her part.

This is what I am anticipating. When she starts showing up on the little confessionals, watch out!

CapnPitt
10-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Careful what you wish for, dude. That pixellated nether-mullet is the stuff of nightmares.... :eek:

Ok, first time I get to say this...you owe me a new keyboard. Plus CBS owes me a few gallons of brain bleach.

I hope the editors realize after last night that the freeze frames were perhaps the lamest thing (among many lame things) that they have ever done. I also think I underestimated how sharp those machetes are and/or how thin the suspension rope was. When the first dude (Erik?) took a big hack at it, I thought for sure it was going to just whipsaw back at him. I think I'd have taken one hand and held the rope against the pole and then swung at the rope. Eh, worked out fine for them though.

I wondering why Denise can't use her supernatural lunch lady skillz to summon up some sloppy joe and mac & cheese. What good are lunch lady superpowers if you can't use them in a time of crisis.

The spot between Courtney's thumb and index finger looked horrible. I just kept thinking that if they didn't vote her out, she's going to be a good candidate for a heavy duty infection.

What kind of critters were James and J-R getting out of the lake bottom mud?

Johnny L.A.
10-05-2007, 12:23 PM
That pixellated nether-mullet is the stuff of nightmares.... :eek:
So... That's shaved in the front and six inches long out of her... Oh, my.

jsc1953
10-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Water buffalo, not wildebeest. Wildebeest live in Africa. (There don't seem to be many critters actually around the camp....the wildlife shots are all edited in.)

Watching Courtney nibbling ineffectively with her machete, I was thinking that she must be really bad at puzzle solving, to have put her on chopping duty. She looks worse now than most contestants do after 39 days. Note to future skinny contestants....you might want to consider including cheeseburgers as part of your pre-show training regimen.

Dave: now a nominee for the Survivor Tool Hall of Fame.

JSexton
10-05-2007, 01:11 PM
It's interesting how the immunity challenge went. The Fei Long men won easily, as did the Zhan Hu women. That means, of course, that the only reason Zhan Hu won the overall challenge is because they went first. Intentional? Could be.

Terminus Est
10-05-2007, 01:32 PM
It's interesting how the immunity challenge went. The Fei Long men won easily, as did the Zhan Hu women. That means, of course, that the only reason Zhan Hu won the overall challenge is because they went first. Intentional? Could be.
Eh? Both teams did the challenge simultaneously.

Sapo
10-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Well, I must repeat my post from last episode and ask "WTF?". I am really not getting the logic of these people's decisions.

Why wouldn't they vote off Courtney (the NYC waitress with sticks for arms). Where the hell does she wait tables? At a cotton candy restaurant? How can someone have a physical job and be so frail? Now she is just as useless as before, except that she can't use her hands for anything. Don't expect her to do anything at all for the next week or so. Here is hoping that the next challenges are blowing bubbles, because otherwise, I don't know what good she will be.

And why Leslie? I don't think she was getting under anyone's skin. It is true that saying "The other team rocks and you suck" at TC is not the path to popularity, but still.

Good news for the other girl who was trading secrets with her. Now her secret is safe for the next few days. Not that it looks like she is going to do anything with it. Her comments were along the lines of "I am sure this is very obvious but there is no way I am going to think about this". Yul would have the HII from both camps already.

Speaking of, I guess the kidnappee is free to steal the HII from his hosts, right? This could be a ton of fun, watching a returning hostage waving good bye at his captors with the HII.

Denise is useless. The love is gone.

Gravedigger dude lost a lot of points by opening his mouth. I can't believe how some people are just willing to speak their minds without making any effort to check for spies first.

I am loving the challenges so far. Nice change of pace. Good season so far.

Sapo
10-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Eh? Both teams did the challenge simultaneously.
He means that if they had started with the men, the situation would have been reversed. I am assuming this is decided randomly. Otherwise, it was a handed victory.

Terminus Est
10-05-2007, 01:58 PM
He means that if they had started with the men, the situation would have been reversed. I am assuming this is decided randomly. Otherwise, it was a handed victory.
I'm sure the teams were free to decide who would do the chopping and who would do the puzzle. Courtney would have been even more useless in dragging that heavy weight.

Sapo
10-05-2007, 02:11 PM
I'm sure the teams were free to decide who would do the chopping and who would do the puzzle. Courtney would have been even more useless in dragging that heavy weight.
Oh, there is the confusion. He means (well, I think he means, I just noticed he actually said the opposite) the reward challenge with the fighting on the boats. If they had started with the men fighting, instead of the girls, Fei Long would have won the challenge.

Lady of the Lake
10-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Good news for the other girl who was trading secrets with her. Now her secret is safe for the next few days. Not that it looks like she is going to do anything with it. Her comments were along the lines of "I am sure this is very obvious but there is no way I am going to think about this". Yul would have the HII from both camps already.
Ha! You won't know how much I loved reading this. :) And, yes, he just might have been able to pull something like that off...

Terminus Est
10-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Oh, there is the confusion. He means (well, I think he means, I just noticed he actually said the opposite) the reward challenge with the fighting on the boats. If they had started with the men fighting, instead of the girls, Fei Long would have won the challenge.
If he meant the reward challange, then, yeah, Zhan Hu lucked out; their women seem freakishly strong. Although it may not have been entirely luck. IIRC, whenever the tribes are divided by sex to do a challenge, it's the women who always go first.

John Mace
10-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Watching Courtney nibbling ineffectively with her machete, I was thinking that she must be really bad at puzzle solving, to have put her on chopping duty. She looks worse now than most contestants do after 39 days. Note to future skinny contestants....you might want to consider including cheeseburgers as part of your pre-show training regimen.
The remaining 2 had to lug all the puzzle pieces over to where they put them together, so maybe they thought she'd be better at cutting rope than hauling dead weight.

But... I almost died laughing watching her try to cut the ropes. That and the "Sister Christian" moment had me in stitches.

CapnPitt
10-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Well, I must repeat my post from last episode and ask "WTF?". I am really not getting the logic of these people's decisions.

Why wouldn't they vote off Courtney (the NYC waitress with sticks for arms). Where the hell does she wait tables? At a cotton candy restaurant? How can someone have a physical job and be so frail? Now she is just as useless as before, except that she can't use her hands for anything. Don't expect her to do anything at all for the next week or so. Here is hoping that the next challenges are blowing bubbles, because otherwise, I don't know what good she will be.

And why Leslie? I don't think she was getting under anyone's skin. It is true that saying "The other team rocks and you suck" at TC is not the path to popularity, but still.

I think we missed a lot of stuff off-camera. There was mention last week and some mention last night that Leslie was pretty useless around camp because she was sick all the time. So she might have been voted off because she was weak in that regard.

Of course, I tend to agree with you that they should have voted out Courtney, but I think there was more to it than we were privy to.

Johnny L.A.
10-05-2007, 04:49 PM
But... I almost died laughing watching her try to cut the ropes.
It was as if she could barely lift the sword.

Borborygmi
10-05-2007, 05:07 PM
It was as if she could barely lift the sword.Give her credit for finding a way to avoid being freeze-framed. ;) Was that supposed to be a dis by the editors? It's not up there with the no-final-words when Osten quit Pearl Islands.

I wonder if she'll have to don the samauri armor next week. She'll be crushed into dust.

silenus
10-05-2007, 05:49 PM
I wonder if she'll have to don the samauri armor next week. She'll be crushed into dust.

Chinese armor, not samurai. That stuff looks heavy and awkward, especially to someone who's never worn any sort of armor before. I wonder how many bystanders are going to get beaned with those bolos?

About Courtney....Jeff made it a particular point to mention "each team members individual strengths." Which makes me think there might be a challenge coming up where a skeleton will actually have an advantage. It might come back and bite JR on the ass if he arranges to vote Courtney out just before that challenge.

But she still makes me sick when I look at her. Girl needs to put on about 20 lbs. to be skinny.

John Mace
10-05-2007, 05:54 PM
What's the over-under on when her hair is going to start falling out?

Borborygmi
10-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Chinese armor, not samurai. :smack:

It might come back and bite JR on the ass if he arranges to vote Courtney out just before that challenge.That DID seem like foreshadowing by ol' Jeff. I don't have the vibe that Courtney has any unique skills, though. And JR is so unlikeable that I think he'll playing above his head anytime he's able to get anyone else voted off going forward.

Critical Mass
10-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Allow me to voice the minority opinion.

I would not want Courtney in the office pool, however I will be disappointed when she's eventually voted out. Or dies.

I kinda like her. Her confessionals and the snarky comments don't pull any punches and they're probably not too far off the mark.

I think she's kinda cute in an emaciated kind of way.

I got a little Courtney crush.

Stop looking at me like that.

JSexton
10-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Yes, that's what I meant. Wrong challenge, sorry.

Moonchild
10-05-2007, 08:33 PM
My feeling is that it's too bad they couldn't have voted off two people last night: Leslie & Courtney.

Re: Courtney -- LMFAO watching you try to lift that sword! And is it at least a tad ironic that this self-proclaimed (in so many words) NYC bitch is actually crying at Council because the team has to find a way -- and pretty much with kid gloves, I thought -- to keep her Janay-on-diet-pills frame out of the challenges? On the flip, I don't think of being a bitch as necessarily a bad thing and you could wait on my table anytime (as long as I don't order the 3-pound steak).

Re: Leslie -- You were so clueless, Flicka from last season would say, "Wow, you really have no idea how to play this game." And no offense to any Christians out there (or religous folks in general), but when your religion (Yes, Leslie, you are religious) weakens you instead of strengthens you ("If I only had my Bible here with me...") it might be time to do some real soul searching. What a crutch. On the flip, you did strike me as a genuinely kind person and are welcome in my home anytime -- so long as it's not to preach the word of J.C.

BTW, I think the freeze frame was done to reference low-budget Kung Fu movies. Moonwife picked up on it.

Ellis Dee
10-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Re: Courtney -- LMFAO watching you try to lift that sword! And is it at least a tad ironic that this self-proclaimed (in so many words) NYC bitch is actually crying at Council because the team has to find a way -- and pretty much with kid gloves, I thought -- to keep her Janay-on-diet-pills frame out of the challenges?heh, too true. This season does seem to have nothing but muscle challenges, though. Which is odd because this season also includes the smallest man and woman ever to appear on the show. Every time Todd and JR are in the same frame I feel like I'm watching Lord of the Rings.I think she's kinda cute in an emaciated kind of way.Right there with you. As a skinny guy, I dig skinny chicks. Even though you'd probably have to wrap tape around her stomach so she wouldn't explode, she's still do-able.

Sweetums
10-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Did anyone else laugh when James said "Am I the only one who went to Barnes and Noble before this."

Yes for once in the history of survivor, a contestant actually bothered to go read out a survival manual.

StarvingButStrong
10-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Also noteworthy, given past Survivor history: we've got a big black guy with muscles who apparently got them through doing WORK instead of hanging out at a gym, and who willing works around the camp. Yay! Maybe the producers heard all our griping about 'lazy black guy' stereotypes.

monstro
10-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Yay! Maybe the producers heard all our griping about 'lazy black guy' stereotypes.

Well, Jon-Robert certainly foots the bill.

I really can't wait for dude to be gone.

want2know
10-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by qwest
I think she's kinda cute in an emaciated kind of way.

EWWWWW!

I think even the French fashion industry would look at Courtney and think, "Mon Dieu!!!! "

Courtney's biggest problem in the chopping part of the challenge was that she probably hasn't eaten anything requiring a knife for several years, so she was out of practice! :D

What's even scarier is that contestants generally lose weight during the game; Courtney's got nowhere to go on that score. I hope she gets voted off soon just so she doesn't die!

Anyone else think Denise in her undies was waaaay TMI?

Dave: now a nominee for the Survivor Tool Hall of Fame.

Speaking of "tool", I laughed my ass off at nekkid Dave's "flying batch" move in the first challenge--especially how high up on the other guy he landed! Reminded me of a cartoon I saw once where a leashed dog was wrapped around someone's face, humping away, while the owner says "He likes you!"

Dottygumdrop
10-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Can someone ask the producers for subtitles when James speaks? I only understand about every third word!

John Mace
10-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Well, Jon-Robert certainly foots the bill.

I really can't wait for dude to be gone.
Is he Black? Maybe we need to link this thread to the GQ thread about African-Americans. :) I kept asking my friends who were over to watch the show if they thought he was Black. He's one of those borderline cases where it's hard to tell.

And yeah, he is annoying. I think he's going to get voted off before he gets a chance to prove that he was only "pretending" to be lazy.

Ring
10-06-2007, 05:05 PM
I donít understand, and would appreciate some enlightenment, as to why Dave(?) took his pants off for the challenge. The only thing I could come up with was that he figured no one would want to get anywhere near him.

Iím also really tired of looking at certain (most) contestants in nothing but their underwear. I mean, does anyone actually think they look more attractive this way? I'll take a nice Bikini any day.

Justin_Bailey
10-06-2007, 05:23 PM
I donít understand, and would appreciate some enlightenment, as to why Dave(?) took his pants off for the challenge. The only thing I could come up with was that he figured no one would want to get anywhere near him.

I think it was a combination of a) no one wants to wrestle with a naked guy and b) without shorts there's nothing for the other team to pull on.

Except for... ya know.

Johnny L.A.
10-06-2007, 05:54 PM
My first thought was that he was going up some pretty hetero-looking guys and that, as Justin Bailey says, that might make them reluctant to get too close.

jsc1953
10-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Iím also really tired of looking at certain (most) contestants in nothing but their underwear. I mean, does anyone actually think they look more attractive this way? I'll take a nice Bikini any day.

I think we're seeing cases of women who didn't pack a bikini.

Terminus Est
10-06-2007, 06:30 PM
I think we're seeing cases of women who didn't pack a bikini.
More like they weren't wearing bikinis under their nice clothes they were told to wear for the non-religious Buddhist welcoming ceremony.

Ellis Dee
10-06-2007, 06:41 PM
More like they weren't wearing bikinis under their nice clothes they were told to wear for the non-religious Buddhist welcoming ceremony.No doubt, but damn I agree with Ring. I miss the days of Parvati and her black bikini. Hopefully the producers move away from this "nothing but the clothes on your back" crap in future seasons.

Moonchild
10-06-2007, 10:38 PM
One last thing: isn't that just the greatest Survivor nightmare to be have to face off in some uber-physical challenge and be staring across at... James!?! :eek:

He is, without a doubt, the greatest physical specimen in the history of the show. Watching the Daves & Eriks of the world square up to him is like being a pee-wee football player and lining up to block Lawrence Taylor (http://espn.go.com/i/classic/1004/photo/c_lt6_i.jpg).

Ring
10-06-2007, 11:16 PM
I'd drop and roll at his legs.

Unless, of course, I didn't have any pants on. In that case I'd jump in the water before he could get to me.

I still can't believe that idiot Dave did that. Wouldn't it have been great if someone grabbed him by his gorgonzolas and wung him into the lake.

Batsinma Belfry
10-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Anyone else think Denise in her undies was waaaay TMI?

Not as TMI as Denise out of her undies. I actually felt sorry for the editors.

Stillwell Angel
10-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Courtney chipping away at that rope, wow.

I will forever more call her Mr. Burns....

PunditLisa
10-07-2007, 10:31 AM
I still can't believe that idiot Dave did that. Wouldn't it have been great if someone grabbed him by his gorgonzolas and wung him into the lake.

LOL. I don't know if 'wung' is a word, but I can picture exactly what you mean.

JSexton
10-07-2007, 11:56 AM
LOL. I don't know if 'wung' is a word, but I can picture exactly what you mean.
In this context? Clearly, it's the past tense of "wang". :D

Borborygmi
10-08-2007, 08:17 AM
A quick heads-up, for anyone who may be interested: from last week's previews, this week's House appears to have a Survivor homage, with House invoking Tribal Council imagery while narrowing down candidates in the assemble-a-new-team plotline.

We now return you to your weekly Survivor thread, already in progress.

rockle
10-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi, everybody! I meant to pop in over the weekend but I was in mourning, and then I had to go to a karaoke wedding, which means I am still working off the hangover. There just ain't enough Mountain Dew and Tylenol Arthritis in the world, yo.

Anyway: you all said what I would have had I been here, which makes me wonder about my place in the world and stuff, but I will save my existential crises for another day, or at least a different thread. But I did want to link to Dave's favorites list (http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor15/survivors/dave.shtml?view=fav) and then ask the following questions:

Am I the only person whose gaydar is being pinged by Dave? (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) No significant other of any kind is listed in his bio, and ... come on, now. Frangipani? "Deep hues of blue"?
If Dave is gay, does anyone else think he might be trying to work the Richard-Hatch-patented "FNF" strategy? The Hatch spent a lot of time inexplicably (and unforgiveably) naked -- could Dave be a "student of the game" who is trying to replicate that?
For that matter, does anyone else think that, from a certain angle, Dave kind of resembles Hatch too? Maybe they are long-lost brothers, or father-son, or something. There is a resemblance that I see, and also a similarity of behavior and attitudes, that I find uncanny.

Borborygmi
10-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Yay, rockle's back!

So THAT'S what that noise is! My gaydar doesn't get much use... I have the tolerances set so tight it hardly ever goes off. Constant pinging whenever Dave is on the screen, though. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

I suspect I won't be hearing it much longer, though.

jsc1953
10-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Hi, everybody! I meant to pop in over the weekend but I was in mourning, and then I had to go to a karaoke wedding, which means I am still working off the hangover. There just ain't enough Mountain Dew and Tylenol Arthritis in the world, yo.

My condolences. Man, the Sports Illustrated cover jinx rose up & bit you guys hugely.

FNF? explain, please?

StarvingButStrong
10-08-2007, 02:29 PM
FNF? explain, please?

I believe that is Fat Naked Fag.

Don't think Dave will have a chance to get fat during the show, though.

Terminus Est
10-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Was there any doubt about Dave's gayness? What's a deep shade of grey, anyway?

rockle
10-08-2007, 06:26 PM
My condolences. Man, the Sports Illustrated cover jinx rose up & bit you guys hugely.Much appreciated. For the record (and totally not germane to this particular discussion), I am not disappointed in the Phillies, but I am disappointed for them. They played like hell for the last three weeks, and I can't really think of a worse way to go down than in a sweep to the Rox, who I believe won that game against the Padres fraudulently, anyway. But these guys are young (and hawt!) and I believe there are more playoff seasons in their future, as long as we buy some goddamned pitchers and stop letting Drunken Uncle Charlie call the shots. But annnnnnnnnnnnyway ...

FNF? explain, please?I believe that is Fat Naked Fag.Correctamundo, my good man and/or woman. Don't know whether it was an in-joke between Hatch and Dr. Sean, or what, but I remember it coming up, and I sort of wondered if that was what Dave was going for here. Although, I don't know. He's kind of a wingnut. I think it was the "strategy" of doing the challenge in the altogether that convinced me that Dave is either some kind of evil genius, or a complete wackadoodle. Or maybe both: I know for sure that it wasn't a binary condition for Hatch.

Terminus Est: It just occurred to me this week that maybe Dave was gay, although I wonder if I should have suspected earlier, when he wanted to build himself a designer rustic fireplace and not, you know, eat something. And I have no idea what another shade of gray would be. Is there a difference between "dusty" and "dusky"? "Stone" and "slate"? What about "iron," "pewter," and "lead"? Maybe it's a good thing I am not a decorator, or a J. Crew copy writer.

Justin_Bailey
10-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Was there any doubt about Dave's gayness? What's a deep shade of grey, anyway?

If you gave 100 people Dave's favorites list and Todd's favorites list and asked which one was gay, I think every single person would pick Dave.

Liberal
10-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Am I the only person whose gaydar is being pinged by Dave? (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)I have to admit I was doubtful until I checked your link. Touch rugby? Why not just say, "Feeling up sweaty men"? :D

rockle
10-09-2007, 01:18 PM
If you gave 100 people Dave's favorites list and Todd's favorites list and asked which one was gay, I think every single person would pick Dave.I'd probably ask if "both" was an option, because: Desperate Housewives? "Venti Non-Fat White Chocolate Mocha, Iced from Starbucks"? Justin Timberlake? Again, not that there's anything wrong with that. I guess it just never occurred to me that the flight attendant would be the less gay option. Am I weird, or just sheltered?

Shayna
10-09-2007, 05:13 PM
3. For that matter, does anyone else think that, from a certain angle, Dave kind of resembles Hatch too? Maybe they are long-lost brothers, or father-son, or something. There is a resemblance that I see, and also a similarity of behavior and attitudes, that I find uncanny. For me, every time I see Dave, I see David Hasselhoff. Separated at birth? Father & Son? You be the judge (http://www.amschwartz.net/jillandthomas/images/davevsdavid.jpg). Even the way he talks reminds me of the Hoff.