PDA

View Full Version : Mint + Dark Chocolate

Hypno-Toad
10-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Whenever I eat a York Peppermint Patty, I always wonder why minty candy is never teamed up with milk chocolate. I like milk chocolate bettter than the dark variety. But I don't remember seeing milk chocolate and mint filling/flavoring together.

Am I just not seeing minty milk chocolate products or is there no such thing? And if not, why?

OneCentStamp
10-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Huh. Whenever I eat a York Peppermint Patty, I feel as if I'm rushing down an Alpine slope, buck naked save for a wet tube sock over my 'nads, and two antiquated wooden skis.*

Anyway, try an Andes Creme de Menthe candy. They make a mint-and-milk chocolate one.

* remember that old ad campaign?

Bosstone
10-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I was about to point out Andes mints, but I took a quick look and apparently they're dark chocolate too. I've been living a lie. :(

I dislike dark chocolate too. Don't really understand the mint + dark pairing preference either.

Euryphaessa
10-04-2007, 02:04 PM
The minty Aero bars are covered in milk chocolate, with green chocolate-textured mint stuff on the inside.

OneCentStamp
10-04-2007, 02:08 PM
I was about to point out Andes mints, but I took a quick look and apparently they're dark chocolate too. I've been living a lie. :(Wow. I've been living the lie too. But whatever they call the chocolate in those things, it's definitely lighter, sweeter and less bitter than the stuff around a York.

Hypno-Toad
10-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Wow. I've been living the lie too. But whatever they call the chocolate in those things, it's definitely lighter, sweeter and less bitter than the stuff around a York.
Which must be why I like them so much.

Bridget Burke
10-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Hershey's makes Mint Milk Chocolate Sticks. (About half way down (http://www.hersheys.com/happiness/goodness/products/) this page.)

Try your Google: Dean & DeLuca, plus other high-class chocolatiers may have what you want.

WordMan
10-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Am I just not seeing minty milk chocolate products or is there no such thing? And if not, why?

It's just part of the Big Food Conspiracy - the folks who are keeping the milk chocolate and mint candy from us are the same ones who have hidden all the blue food*

*credit to George Carlin, if you recall his routine on that...

jjimm
10-04-2007, 02:56 PM
In Ireland, Cadbury's does a Dairy Milk with mint chips in it. It's... OK.

But dark chocolate with mint is teh sex. After Eights (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_Eight), food of the gods.

ETA: I see from the article I linked to there is now a milk chocolate After Eight variety released last year. Heathens!

Hypno-Toad
10-04-2007, 03:04 PM
ETA: I see from the article I linked to there is now a milk chocolate After Eight variety released last year. Heathens!

This merits further investigation...

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
10-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Hershey's makes Mint Milk Chocolate Sticks. (About half way down (http://www.hersheys.com/happiness/goodness/products/) this page.)
Hershey also used to make the Cookies 'n' Mint bar (a Hershey bar with mint and chocolate cookie crumbs), although this apparently is not currently available.

GraceTX
10-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Baskin Robbins makes a mint chocolate chip hard candy that is delicious.

Hypno-Toad
10-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Baskin Robbins makes a mint chocolate chip hard candy that is delicious.
Yeah, but it's dark chocolate, which diminishes the goodness.

Lady Venom
10-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Huh, I never really realized, but you're right. Almost every bit of mint + chocolate that I've seen is dark chocolate. I *love* mint chocolate stuff. But, I hate dark chocolate by its self.

I remember mint chocolate pudding cups when I was a kid, but haven't seen one in YEARS!

amarinth
10-04-2007, 06:38 PM
The chocolate truffle place I go to makes mint & milk chocolate creams and truffles. But much less of those than they do of dark chocolates.
No idea why - the milk chocolate tastes much better.

ryobserver
10-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Christmas is coming, and should bring with it the mint + milk chocolate seasonal edition M&Ms and Hershey's Kisses.

For whatever reason mint + chocolate is associated with Christmas in candymakers' minds, so at that time of year you can find all sorts of minty chocolate stuff not available at other times. Get extra bags and freeze them; both M&Ms and Kisses keep well in the freezer.

cher3
10-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Marshall Fields' (I refuse to say Macy's) Frango mints are not milk, but not very dark either, as I recall. They are a bit pricy at $19 a pound, though, so here's a recipe:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1813,158185-250196,00.html

koeeoaddi
10-04-2007, 07:34 PM
I hold this thread personally responsible for the rows and rows of ubiquitous oogy milk chocolate on candy shelves west of the Mississippi.

Milk chocolate and mint? Ewwww! :p

vivalostwages
10-04-2007, 08:32 PM
See's dark choc coated mint patties are pretty good.

Little Nemo
10-04-2007, 10:02 PM
I think it's because both mint is a relatively non-sweet flavoring and dark chocolate is also less sweet than milk chocolate - candymakers figure they have buyers in common. (Coffee flavoring is probably matched with dark chocolate for the same reason.) People who like milk chocolate are probably also going to prefer a sweeter flavoring like cherry or raspberry.

Hypno-Toad
10-04-2007, 11:08 PM
I hold this thread personally responsible for the rows and rows of ubiquitous oogy milk chocolate on candy shelves west of the Mississippi.

Milk chocolate and mint? Ewwww! :p

I consider this high praise. Dark chocolate is like paint still in the tube: nothing until an artist uses it to create something worthy. And it's about as tasty as paint. Milk chocolate, being discovered later, shows the evolution of chocolate from it's base cocoa nibs into a fine ingredient and thence into the delicate beauty of perfection.

Ruby
10-04-2007, 11:51 PM
<slight hijack>
There's a new 3 Musketeers out...dark chocolate with a green mint "nougat" center. Odd thing is that it's about 1/3 the size of the regular 3 Musketeers. It's not nearly as good as a York Peppermint Pattie.

Ruby
Resident mint-aholic

Cat Whisperer
10-05-2007, 12:23 AM
My rant would be the opposite of the OP - I love chocolate and orange together, but all I can find around these parts is orange and milk chocolate. In my opinion, dark chocolate is the only type of chocolate that should be paired with flavours (mint, orange, raspberry, brandy, or anything else you can think of - except ginger. Nobody should put chocolate anywhere near ginger. That combination is the food of the devils.) I know I can get dark chocolate and orange in a Terry's Orange, but those things are expensive! My preference would be a dark chocolate with an orange-filled centre, for less than a buck. And available at any corner store. And I want a pony, and a million bucks,...

Harmonious Discord
10-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Mint overwhelms the taste buds, so they try to dump all that awful dark chocolate on the taste bud impaired. Notice on a peppermint patty they still have to have a thick peppermint filling to cover the paper thin dark chocolate, to make it edible.

Hypno-Toad
10-05-2007, 08:12 AM
<slight hijack>
There's a new 3 Musketeers out...dark chocolate with a green mint "nougat" center. Odd thing is that it's about 1/3 the size of the regular 3 Musketeers. It's not nearly as good as a York Peppermint Pattie.

Ruby
Resident mint-aholic

I got one of those and was disappointed. It was just like a peppermint patty to me. I wanted a 3 Musketeers bar with mint, not some deception!

Featherlou, one of the things I like to dip in milk chocolate fondue is GINGER PIECES. And it seems that in my area, dark chocolate is the usual pairing with orange, such as in gourmet high-percentage cocoa bars. But there is one or two milk chocolate/orange offerings.

Baldwin
10-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Here's something fun: munch about half a box of Junior Mints, then take a sip of Coke. Then come back and describe the taste to me.

flodnak
10-05-2007, 09:59 AM
I think it's because both mint is a relatively non-sweet flavoring and dark chocolate is also less sweet than milk chocolate - candymakers figure they have buyers in common. (Coffee flavoring is probably matched with dark chocolate for the same reason.) People who like milk chocolate are probably also going to prefer a sweeter flavoring like cherry or raspberry.That's interesting, because I was going to say the opposite - mint is so sweet that it needs the fuller, less sweet taste of dark chocolate to balance it out. Milk chocolate and mint would be a sweetness double whammy, IMO. Too much.

I also think raspberry needs dark chocolate, for the same reason, though I've noticed some infidel candy makers do partner it with milk chocolate. Coffee, on the other hand, I think they match with dark chocolate in the forlorn hope that the stronger taste of the yummy dark chocolate will mask that horrid coffeeness. Alas, it does not work.

gigi
10-05-2007, 11:08 AM
It's just part of the Big Food Conspiracy - the folks who are keeping the milk chocolate and mint candy from us are the same ones who have hidden all the blue food*And the beef, bean and cheese burritos.

I too was disappointed by the mint 3 Musketeers. It was a frothy bit of nothing, and not in a good way.

plnnr
10-05-2007, 11:20 AM
You people are heathens. Peppermint Patties are a gift from the gods. Milk chocolate is too...limp. I like the bitterness of dark chocolate.

"When I bite into a York Peppermint Patty I get the sensation...Honneeeyyyy! of being a forest with the dew dropping off the coooool greeeeen leaves."

When my parents bought a convenience store in the early 1990s my mother eventually stopped stocking the big Peppermint Patties. My dad would eat an entire box in less than a week and there were never any on the shelves. I come by my love of PPs through heredity and have passed it on to my daughter who always asks "Can we get a Patty?" when we shop.

Cat Whisperer
10-05-2007, 11:27 AM
<snip>And it seems that in my area, dark chocolate is the usual pairing with orange, such as in gourmet high-percentage cocoa bars. But there is one or two milk chocolate/orange offerings.
I can get my hands on nice, tasty milk chocolate with mint here (I believe it's a Cadbury bar) - howsabout you send me some of that gourmet orange and dark chocolate, and I'll send you the mint and milk chocolate?

Balance
10-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Here's something fun: munch about half a box of Junior Mints, then take a sip of Coke. Then come back and describe the taste to me.
I rate this post at 70% pure evil.

:D

Hypno-Toad
10-05-2007, 01:48 PM
I can get my hands on nice, tasty milk chocolate with mint here (I believe it's a Cadbury bar) - howsabout you send me some of that gourmet orange and dark chocolate, and I'll send you the mint and milk chocolate?

Email me and we'll work something out.

Cat Whisperer
10-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Okay, email away. :)

Angel of the Lord
10-05-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm fairly certain the Fannie Mae mint meltaways are milk chocolate. Though I might need to do some field research tonight...

Ponder Stibbons
10-05-2007, 02:15 PM
What? Don't like dark chocolate? Bwah?

:: mind refuses to acknowledge ::

In fact, I'm eating an "endangered species" brand Dark Chocolate With Mint (70% cocoa content) right this very moment. Yummmmmmmm.

Viridiana
10-05-2007, 03:12 PM
I think I recall Walgreen's having a store brand of "thick mints" - like thicker peppermint patties - in both dark and milk chocolate flavors. I'm pretty sure I used to buy and eat them constantly :) (I don't like dark chocolate too much, either). But I've been trying not to buy such things for a while, and my brand memory is not too good...

Sometimes lower quality milk chocolate is kind of smelly and gross, I'll admit. And I bet milk-chocolate + raspberry would be way too sweet. But all in all milk chocolate is awesome!

Stay away from my sweets, though, ginger. PLEASE.

Hypno-Toad
10-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Whenever I eat one of those gourmet bars, I feel obligated to savor the experience, as if I was drinking fine wine. And it's sort of a pain. Yes, it's a fine bar with rich overtones and subtle flavor conotations. But I don't usually want to sit there and eat a candy bar like I'm going to have to write a report on it. I mean, sometimes I feel like a nut.

gigi
10-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Almond Joy's got nuts.

Taber
10-05-2007, 04:07 PM
In a semi related note, I'm not much of a dark chocolate fan, and Milky Ways are pretty close to the bottom of my candy bar list, but Midnight Milky Ways are amazingly good.

E-Sabbath
10-05-2007, 04:21 PM
I found dark chocolate and mint nougat Three Musketeers bars. I don't remember where, unfortunately, but it was no more than two weeks ago. Two little bars in one candy bar shaped wrapper. Delicious.

Graycat
10-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Russell and Stover's French Chocolate Mints are milk chocolate.